Suggestions for readings/poems/texts for a spiritual commitment/engagement ceremony - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 11-18-2010, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm Catholic, DP is spiritual and christian but not religious. We're holding a ceremony in January--it was initially going to be a marriage, but for some legal/immigration reasons, we're holding off on the marriage. Instead we're holding a ceremony to celebrate our commitment to each other, an engagement ceremony if you will. We'll be moving to my country before getting married, so this is our big 'coming together' moment for his side of the family. A fairly liberal evangelical pastor will be leading the service outdoors.

I'm looking for suggestions for readings, poems, quotes, Bible passages, etc that we can use at the service. As mentioned before, we're on different paths spiritually, and we're open to suggestions from all faith traditions. I've found a few online so far, but nothing really moves me. We are holding the service in Spanish, but I can easily translate anything in English to Spanish, so no language limitations in that realm.

THANKS!

raising my two sunshine children.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 11-18-2010, 05:25 PM

the song of songs is just beautiful and so much of it might be suitable. (It also talks more about love than g-d, so if your ideas of g-d are different....)  It's from the hebrew bible (which is pretty much the same as the old testement I think)

Caroline, partner to J, post partum doula, kitchen manager, aspiring midwife, soon to be nursing student, mama to my furbaby, someday a mama to not so furry munchkins, G-d willing
#3 of 7 Old 11-18-2010, 05:54 PM

have you read Khalil Gibran's "the prophet"? i believe their is a section on love or marriage.  i only remember the children section now and it is beautiful and moving and i would think appropriate to a mixed religious/spiritual ceremony

#4 of 7 Old 11-18-2010, 06:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I loved some passages from this book: http://www.amazon.com/Handfasting-Wedding-Rituals-Welcoming-Blessing/dp/0738704709/

that are very nature-based. Some parts of the book are explicitly Pagan, but others to me are lovely passages about human connections and our place in the universe.

We also had a commitment ceremony but didn't get legally married (by our choice and preference). There are tons of books of "wedding readings" -- I got a stack out of the library and read through them to find passages that spoke to me (and then he read the ones I liked until we found ones we agreed on.)

I believe that near the end we also injected some humor by having my brother and sister-in-law read an excerpt of Dr. Seuss's Oh the Places You'll Go.

#5 of 7 Old 11-18-2010, 08:19 PM

You might do the "Love is patient, love is kind" reading from the New Testament - 1 Corinthians 13. Begin/end wherever you like. And God is not mentioned, if that is of concern to you.

lady.gif
#6 of 7 Old 11-19-2010, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magelet View Post

the song of songs is just beautiful and so much of it might be suitable. (It also talks more about love than g-d, so if your ideas of g-d are different....)  It's from the hebrew bible (which is pretty much the same as the old testement I think)

thanks! it is really beautiful, but i think it's too, um, erotic or flowery for my tastes. haha...i'm kind of modest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by raelize View Post

have you read Khalil Gibran's "the prophet"? i believe their is a section on love or marriage.  i only remember the children section now and it is beautiful and moving and i would think appropriate to a mixed religious/spiritual ceremony

yes, that's one of the few i've already found and liked. my uncle just used the exact same passage at his wedding a few months ago, so i'm trying to find something a little more unique, but i might end up using it anyways.
Quote:
Originally Posted by indigosky View Post

I loved some passages from this book: http://www.amazon.com/Handfasting-Wedding-Rituals-Welcoming-Blessing/dp/0738704709/

that are very nature-based. Some parts of the book are explicitly Pagan, but others to me are lovely passages about human connections and our place in the universe.

We also had a commitment ceremony but didn't get legally married (by our choice and preference). There are tons of books of "wedding readings" -- I got a stack out of the library and read through them to find passages that spoke to me (and then he read the ones I liked until we found ones we agreed on.)

I believe that near the end we also injected some humor by having my brother and sister-in-law read an excerpt of Dr. Seuss's Oh the Places You'll Go.

thanks! i looked at the preview for the book on amazon but it didn't let me see any of the poetry/ceremony! i am in peru, so i don't have access to a library, sadly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tradd View Post

You might do the "Love is patient, love is kind" reading from the New Testament - 1 Corinthians 13. Begin/end wherever you like. And God is not mentioned, if that is of concern to you.

that is perfect! exactly what i was looking for.

raising my two sunshine children.

#7 of 7 Old 11-19-2010, 05:44 PM

Here's a portion from the Song of Songs that is not erotic - Song 8:6-8

Set me as a seal upon your heart,
      As a seal upon your arm;
      For love is as strong as death,
      Jealousy as cruel as the grave;[a]
      Its flames are flames of fire,
      A most vehement flame.[b]