All-Comers Catholic chat - Support Only - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-14-2011, 06:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Having a rough week.

We've had two family deaths this week, including B's dad, and I'm terribly upset with our faith community right now.  I'm frustrated, angry, sad, overwhelmed.

Jesus was so much better at this forgiveness stuff than I am.

I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ. 

Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2011, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger View Post

Having a rough week.

We've had two family deaths this week, including B's dad, and I'm terribly upset with our faith community right now.  I'm frustrated, angry, sad, overwhelmed.

Are they not supporting you through the deaths? How come you're frustrated with them? Or do you mean the Church at large?

So sorry for your losses.

Amanda praying.gif (31), RN, BSN
Catholic wife to guitar.gif (DH 28); mommy to blahblah.gif (DD 9), jog.gif (DS 6), angel2.gif (DS 11/09), angel1.gif (3/10), angel1.gif (6/10), our rainbow1284.gif (DS 1), and a surprise baby.gif (DD)

Old 09-15-2011, 10:49 PM
JMJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger View Post

Having a rough week.

I'm so sorry to hear about you losses.  Hugs and peace as you mourn.  I was thinking the same thing about forgiveness during the gospel last Sunday, seeing how much I am like that servant, forgiven of such a huge debt but dwelling on the sins of others who do much lesser wrongs to me.  I'll keep your family in my prayers and say a couple extra for the grace to forgive for both of us.

Old 09-16-2011, 10:48 AM

Trigger, I'm so sorry to hear about your losses.

Eternal rest grant unto them, O Lord, and let perpetual light shine upon them.
May they rest in peace. Amen. 

When I lost my father, we went to Mass the next morning, and the priest who married us delayed Mass for a few minutes to sit with and hold me while I cried, and console me. It was honestly the closest I've ever felt Jesus in another human being and I'm so sorry your family didn't feel that too...

Kelly, blessed to be with Stephen, and mama to three little ladies with huge hearts:, lotsa energy:, and curious minds.
Old 09-18-2011, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavatea View Post

Are they not supporting you through the deaths? How come you're frustrated with them? Or do you mean the Church at large?

So sorry for your losses.

My kids' great-grandmother's funeral Mass was last Monday morning. Afterward, I went to have lunch with B.  When I arrived, he was on the phone with his sister, getting the news that his dear dad had just passed away.  The next day, our pastor called me early in the morning to tell me that he is leaving the parish - basically, a small contingent of close-minded, hateful people have made it impossible for Fr. David to continue to shepherd our community.  B and I have become quite close to Fr. David in the past 13 months, and I am heartbroken and heartsick over this development.  I had to keep the news from B for over two days, at Fr. David's request, so that he could tell B himself.  On Friday night the three of us talked, imbibed, and cried a river of tears.  Fr. David made the official announcement at Mass yesterday afternoon, we cried some more, and then B had to leave shortly afterward to travel 12 hours with his DD for his dad's funeral.  I was unable to go, and I am missing him terribly.

It's just such a hard time right now.

I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ. 

Old 09-18-2011, 10:33 PM - Thread Starter

Trigger, that's so much to have happen all at once. Dp and I will hold you and yours in prayer. Praying the Fr. David's next appointment will bring the Holy Spirit to new places where light and truth is needed.

Here's a poem a friend shared with me when my dad died in December www.poetry-chaikhana.com/O/ODonohueJohn/OndeathofBel.htm 

Old 10-13-2011, 06:41 AM

Our parish is falling apart.  People in key leadership positions are showing their true colors, and they are ugly.  Rumors - nasty, damaging, inflammatory LIES - are flying, and they seem to originate with one person in particular.  The evangelization initiatives that B and I worked so hard to implement have been wasted on a community that clings to "the old ways".  Nobody wants to take an active role in their faith - BUT when things don't go their way, they sure are quick and loud to complain.  The level of vitriol is unimaginable.  We had to cancel a planned "Day of Healing and Reflection" when only 8 people signed up ... and 5 of those people were on the planning committee.  We've also cancelled plans for an upcoming ministry day, as it has become clear that nobody is interested.  At a recent Mass, I had to ask SEVEN people to bring up the Eucharistic gifts, before I could get TWO to volunteer (and I had to fill infor the third) - you would think I was asking people to go before a damn firing squad!

The worst part, though, is the response from the Diocese.  At first, the Chancellor and the Bishop were wholly supportive ... Fr. David had made some tough-but-necessary decisions about key staffing personnel prior to his decision to leave, and he had also disbanded the newly-elected Pastoral Council (who were conspiring against him) when he discovered solid evidence that the election had been "fixed".  At first, the Diocese supported him and these decisions; however, they seem to have done an abrupt 180, and they reinstated everyone, across the board, last week.  Fr. David said it's the first time he's ever felt mistrustful of, and betrayed by, the Bishop - whom he has always been close to until this point.

We had initially believed that we could stick this out, and provide a vehicle to make it better, but now we are questioning the benefits of continuing to invest our time, talent, and energy in a parish community that just doesn't want to flourish.

User Tag List