#61 of 112 Old 12-24-2010, 07:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavatea View Post

We only have two Masses early on Christmas Eve, no midnight Mass, and none on Christmas Day ... so I would have to assume that any Mass on Christmas Eve will fulfill the Christmas "obligation".

You have got to be kidding! Any idea why?? That would seriously upset me.

I don't see it as anything to get upset over ... the main reason is that we can only get a priest for the two Christmas Eve Masses, but also many of the smaller parishes (like mine) in the area simply can't afford to have the heat/lights on for extra Masses.  We have just one Mass/weekend, and no daily Masses, for that same reason.  A couple of smaller parishes in my area actually close for the winter months.

Before lack of priests was an issue, we used to do a Mass early on Christmas Eve, and one on Christmas morning ... but so few people showed up on Christmas morning, it was seriously a waste of what little $ we have to turn the heat on in both buildings (the chapel, and the parish center, for the bathrooms).  The Pastor decided to just have the two on Christmas Eve and it has worked out beautifully ... both Masses are well attended, and everyone is happy.  There are lots of options for those who wish to go on Christmas day, as well ... we're in a cluster of four local RC churches.

Ah, it was late when I posted, and I obviously wasn't thinking clearly. I forget there are parishes that want for priests/money/etc. My parish is the Cathedral parish (a small Cathedral, but still) and we have four priests, plus the Bishop, Vicar General, etc, to help serve our Masses.

I was just thinking along the lines of no Mass on Christmas. I wasn't thinking logistically.

Amanda praying.gif (31), RN, BSN
Catholic wife to guitar.gif (DH 28); mommy to blahblah.gif (DD 9), jog.gif (DS 6), angel2.gif (DS 11/09), angel1.gif (3/10), angel1.gif (6/10), our rainbow1284.gif (DS 1), and a surprise baby.gif (DD)

#62 of 112 Old 12-27-2010, 05:10 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Just ducking in quickly to ask for prayers - I've been battling a cold turned into bronchitis for 2 weeks now, and it's not improving. The meds I've been taking for the cold have flared my thyroid condition, and I'm not doing well. Praying I don't have to do another hospital stint on account of the thyroid and the lung issues clear.

Me, 29, Muslim hijab.gif single mama to T age 7 energy.gif We homeschool.gif saynovax.giffambedsingle1.gif and Love it!
#63 of 112 Old 12-27-2010, 10:14 PM

Will pray for you!  It seems like there are some really nasty respiratory infections this year....we are battling them, too.

Feel better soon.

#64 of 112 Old 12-28-2010, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Prayers for your health, frugalmom.

#65 of 112 Old 12-29-2010, 09:19 AM - Thread Starter

lavatea, I had a short blog post last summer with a reflection on veiling- http://justanothercatholicmom.blogspot.com/2010/06/she-bathed-his-feet-with-her-tears-then.html  Explains a little more about why veil at Mass, and includes a fisheaters link on the history of it! 

#66 of 112 Old 12-29-2010, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryBomb View Post

lavatea, I had a short blog post last summer with a reflection on veiling- http://justanothercatholicmom.blogspot.com/2010/06/she-bathed-his-feet-with-her-tears-then.html  Explains a little more about why veil at Mass, and includes a fisheaters link on the history of it! 

Your link didn't work for me, so I'm testing to see if I can link it. I found it by scrolling through your blog. Does this work??

I'll read it after dinner. Thanks!

On another note, I've been meaning to post here. My grandfather died Christmas Eve, and your prayers for his soul and our family would be greatly appreciated.

Catholic wife to guitar.gif (DH 28); mommy to blahblah.gif (DD 9), jog.gif (DS 6), angel2.gif (DS 11/09), angel1.gif (3/10), angel1.gif (6/10), our rainbow1284.gif (DS 1), and a surprise baby.gif (DD)

#67 of 112 Old 12-30-2010, 08:14 AM - Thread Starter

Yes, that link worked!

I'm so sorry to hear about your grandfather, prayers for his soul and your family.

#68 of 112 Old 12-30-2010, 04:53 PM
JMJ

Merry Christmas, Catholic mamas.  I could use a whole lot of prayers right now.  My husband's grandmother passed away on Christmas Eve.  It is a sorrow and a blessing.  We pray that she was able to celebrate Christmas with Christ in person.  She had lived a long and faith filled life and it was her time.  The day after Christmas, I believe that I may have had an early miscarriage.  It was my first postpartum cycle, and we were TTC, but I only had an 8 day LP.  I felt pregnant, and we were able to do a blood test 3 days later.  HCG was 2, low enough that maybe I wasn't pregnant, but higher than average for non-pregnant, and obviously, I'm not pregnant now.  We're thankful if God did bless our love with a child, even if that child only lived for 8 days.  We are comforted by the fact that the evening before I started bleeding, we had talked about baptism, so while we obviously were not able to baptize our child, I believe that God would accept our baptism of intent.  The heaviest bleeding was during DH's grandmother's Catholic funeral.  I silently mourned my own (possible) loss as well.  We have decided to use NFP to postpone until my LP's are long enough.  It's hard to CTA when we want to TTC.  Then, yesterday, my father had an angiogram, and things were much worse than they thought.  He had 5 bypass surgery today and is doing well..  We thank God that they were able to catch it before he had a heart attack.

It all seems like so much right now, and I'm somehow barely holding things together.  My dad just woke up, so I'm going to go.

#69 of 112 Old 12-30-2010, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMJ View Post

Merry Christmas, Catholic mamas.  I could use a whole lot of prayers right now.  My husband's grandmother passed away on Christmas Eve.  It is a sorrow and a blessing.  We pray that she was able to celebrate Christmas with Christ in person.  She had lived a long and faith filled life and it was her time.  The day after Christmas, I believe that I may have had an early miscarriage.  It was my first postpartum cycle, and we were TTC, but I only had an 8 day LP.  I felt pregnant, and we were able to do a blood test 3 days later.  HCG was 2, low enough that maybe I wasn't pregnant, but higher than average for non-pregnant, and obviously, I'm not pregnant now.  We're thankful if God did bless our love with a child, even if that child only lived for 8 days.  We are comforted by the fact that the evening before I started bleeding, we had talked about baptism, so while we obviously were not able to baptize our child, I believe that God would accept our baptism of intent.  The heaviest bleeding was during DH's grandmother's Catholic funeral.  I silently mourned my own (possible) loss as well.  We have decided to use NFP to postpone until my LP's are long enough.  It's hard to CTA when we want to TTC.  Then, yesterday, my father had an angiogram, and things were much worse than they thought.  He had 5 bypass surgery today and is doing well..  We thank God that they were able to catch it before he had a heart attack.

It all seems like so much right now, and I'm somehow barely holding things together.  My dad just woke up, so I'm going to go.

Many prayers for you and yours.

#70 of 112 Old 01-07-2011, 05:31 AM - Thread Starter

I'm sorry JMJ, praying for you.

#71 of 112 Old 01-08-2011, 03:36 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Just wondering - do any of you home school? What do you use for religion if you do?

We're in our first year, dd is in K. We're using CHC but I really don't like their K religion books, and am thinking of just working through Leading Little Ones to Mary since I already have a copy of it. Has anyone else used this book?

Me, 29, Muslim hijab.gif single mama to T age 7 energy.gif We homeschool.gif saynovax.giffambedsingle1.gif and Love it!
#72 of 112 Old 01-10-2011, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frugalmama View Post

Just wondering - do any of you home school? What do you use for religion if you do?

We're in our first year, dd is in K. We're using CHC but I really don't like their K religion books, and am thinking of just working through Leading Little Ones to Mary since I already have a copy of it. Has anyone else used this book?

I used the CHC religion for K, too, and I didn't enjoy it much, either. I'm using their first grade stuff now (the Faith&Life series) and like it much better. Sorry, I don't have any experience with the other book.

#73 of 112 Old 01-11-2011, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter

We use Faith and Life, we did Kindergarten at Catholic school, so I'm no help there, sorry!!

#74 of 112 Old 01-12-2011, 01:17 PM

Using Our Lady of Victory (love it!) for 3rd and 4th grade.  I am using a bits and pieces for Kindy - mostly just "Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons", math handouts and writing practice.

I haven't been thrilled with any curriculum's science lessons (have used Seton's and Our Lady of Victory) and supplement with an occasional experiment here and there (like the lame water, food color/celery experiment).  I'm not a "science person" though, so I have kind of let science slide. :)

Mother to 6

12, 11, 9, 6, 3, 1

Pray, Hope and Don't Worry

#75 of 112 Old 01-12-2011, 01:22 PM

I forgot to add that I have used Leading Little Ones to Mary.  I used it for my first 5 years ago.  I found it "ok" but completely forgot about it until now.  Maybe I'll dig it up for my kindergartner. 

I really really like Our Lady of Victory religion book for kindergartners, "Chats with God's Little Ones".  You can buy it directly from them at www.olvs.org

Very good.  Very traditional.  Nice, simple little coloring pages and easy crafts in there too.

Mother to 6

12, 11, 9, 6, 3, 1

Pray, Hope and Don't Worry

#76 of 112 Old 01-12-2011, 03:02 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by frugalmama View Post

We use Classical Liberal Arts Academy

Heidi
#77 of 112 Old 01-12-2011, 08:30 PM

Long story short, my custody modification for relocation out to Indiana was denied.

So... I have been contemplating going back to school and getting my BSN.  I already have a BA, but there are programs for those who already have a bachelor's and are looking to get into nursing.

There are some local programs, and I am looking into those.  There is also a BSN/MSN program out in Philly that has Nurse-Midwifery as a MSN option.  I would LOVE to be a CNM. 

And, apparently, since I would still be in state, I don't have to file for relocation, just notify her father (take that!).

Anyway- prayers during this discernment process, please!

Proud Catholic (30) and mama to V (10)
#78 of 112 Old 01-12-2011, 08:53 PM
JMJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by mum4boys View Post

We use Classical Liberal Arts Academy

I have some serious philosophical concerns about CLAA and Mr. Michael's discipline philosophy required for enrollment.  Not trying to start a debate.  Just saying look into it yourself before you commit to this one.

#79 of 112 Old 01-13-2011, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceAndLove View Post

Long story short, my custody modification for relocation out to Indiana was denied.

So... I have been contemplating going back to school and getting my BSN.  I already have a BA, but there are programs for those who already have a bachelor's and are looking to get into nursing.

There are some local programs, and I am looking into those.  There is also a BSN/MSN program out in Philly that has Nurse-Midwifery as a MSN option.  I would LOVE to be a CNM. 

And, apparently, since I would still be in state, I don't have to file for relocation, just notify her father (take that!).

Anyway- prayers during this discernment process, please!

I just finished my BSN and intend to become a CNM in the future. If you are in a position to start the process, I say GO FOR IT!! It's a long road, so the sooner you begin, the better. I will definitely pray for you as you decide what's best for you and your family.

#80 of 112 Old 01-17-2011, 04:21 PM

is this thread still open? Just wondering :)

Mom of 7, ages 12, 11, 8, 6, 4, 3, and 18 months!grouphug.gif
#81 of 112 Old 01-17-2011, 05:44 PM

i haven't seen a new thread...

#82 of 112 Old 01-18-2011, 04:13 PM

Good question. I'm still following it. Maybe a new one is up?

#83 of 112 Old 01-19-2011, 07:54 AM

Gosh, I hope so! Ever since the new format, I keep missing threads, and somehow with all the excitement of Christmas, I didn't even realize I didn't have my Catholic mamas!

I'm really struggling right now with how to get myself to Mass. I keep finding reasons not to go and I think it all stems from my discomfort with DH not going. The whole family went on Christmas Eve and it was a DISASTER! DD was tired (5:30 pm) and ended up stretched out and resting on the pew. DS kept yelling "MOMMY" and trying to run into the church every time the door opened, and DH spent the whole time in the lobby trying to keep DS distracted. It didn't bode well for the future.

I've only been once since then. I took DS to another parish that has a "cry room," and he basically spent the whole time trying to open the door to get out and banging on the glass.

I read through this thread really quick and don't remember who said it, but whoever mentioned wanting your daughter to have a saint for a mother really struck home for me. I need to do my best to be more saintlike for the kids.

I have tried to step up the talk about God, the angels, etc. DD wakes often at night and is terrified of the dark. We had a good talk the other day about her guardian angel. It's amazing the things I completely SPACE telling her about.

And I'm really struggling with fantasy vs. reality with her. We don't "do" Santa Claus, and I was surprised to see so many of you "doing" St. Nicholas -- with candy in the shoes and all. I've tried to tell DD that Saint Nicholas was a real person and a saint, and the basis for Santa. But if he started doing magical Santa-like things, doesn't that defeat the purpose? DD is really into superheroes right now, and I just worry that she's putting more interest into that than into the real live saints in heaven. I don't know how to reverse this trend.

Ugh. Thanks for letting me disgorge a bunch of stuff.

Prayers to all of you and I'm so glad to be back on this thread!

Beth.
Trying to be a joyful Catholic wife and mama, and taking it one day at a time!
#84 of 112 Old 01-19-2011, 12:42 PM
JMJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsmiles View Post

And I'm really struggling with fantasy vs. reality with her. We don't "do" Santa Claus, and I was surprised to see so many of you "doing" St. Nicholas -- with candy in the shoes and all. I've tried to tell DD that Saint Nicholas was a real person and a saint, and the basis for Santa. But if he started doing magical Santa-like things, doesn't that defeat the purpose? DD is really into superheroes right now, and I just worry that she's putting more interest into that than into the real live saints in heaven. I don't know how to reverse this trend.

Interesting perspective.  I don't see anything "magical" about St. Nicholas.  Placing candy coins in shoes or stockings is a way of bringing the story of St. Nicholas to life for children, hopefully helping them to understand generosity and gratitude.  I also find it helpful to teach who St. Nicholas is so that they can understand what other people believe about Santa.  I was raised in this way and don't ever remember having a difficult time understanding that St. Nicholas lived a long time ago, and this is something we do to remember him, not that he's still alive (in the Earthly sense) and magically making it happen.

You certainly know your daughter best to know what is a good idea and what is not, but maybe she is excited about the stories of superheroes and the cool things that they can do, and you could somehow channel that into excitement about the things that saints do.  Imagination is such a wonderful thing.  There are a lot of saints out there with some pretty cool stories.  She could pretend to be different saints on wild adventures.  Even if she doesn't understand the impact now, she'll carry their stories with her.

#85 of 112 Old 01-20-2011, 01:20 PM

Quote:

Perhaps Bibleman could help? shy.gif

Quote:
The live show has been described as falling between "a high budget Sunday school pageant, a Batman movie, and the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles." The production borrows heavily from popular culture, including films, popular music and video games. The characters fight to maintain God's supremacy against villains representing secular popular culture and intellectualism, and gain their powers from the mere existence of the Bible, not from reading or understanding it. The production emphasises words as objects and forces of power, harkening back to a time when words were believed to have magical power ...

... according to Wiki

I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ. 

Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi 

#86 of 112 Old 01-20-2011, 05:36 PM

I saw a PP mention Bibleman, and I just had to say that I have friends who remember it from childhood and make fun of it.  I have never seen it myself, but those are the reactions I have heard.  Besides, why go for that when there are good solid orthodox Catholic products?

Super Saints This will prolly be better for an older child, but I have listened to it on the radio and loved it.

Have you checked the EWTN catalog?

Leaflet Missal has some fantastic stuff.

#87 of 112 Old 01-21-2011, 08:01 AM

Quote:

Gosh, I hope so! Ever since the new format, I keep missing threads, and somehow with all the excitement of Christmas, I didn't even realize I didn't have my Catholic mamas!

I'm really struggling right now with how to get myself to Mass. I keep finding reasons not to go and I think it all stems from my discomfort with DH not going. The whole family went on Christmas Eve and it was a DISASTER! DD was tired (5:30 pm) and ended up stretched out and resting on the pew. DS kept yelling "MOMMY" and trying to run into the church every time the door opened, and DH spent the whole time in the lobby trying to keep DS distracted. It didn't bode well for the future.

I've only been once since then. I took DS to another parish that has a "cry room," and he basically spent the whole time trying to open the door to get out and banging on the glass.

I read through this thread really quick and don't remember who said it, but whoever mentioned wanting your daughter to have a saint for a mother really struck home for me. I need to do my best to be more saintlike for the kids.

I have tried to step up the talk about God, the angels, etc. DD wakes often at night and is terrified of the dark. We had a good talk the other day about her guardian angel. It's amazing the things I completely SPACE telling her about.

Ugh. Thanks for letting me disgorge a bunch of stuff.

Prayers to all of you and I'm so glad to be back on this thread!

I just wanted to pop in and tell you that you're not alone on having trouble getting to Mass. I had finally made Mass a priority, and then things happened over Advent/Christmas, and my habit went out the window. I really struggled making it this past Sunday. And I think part of it is DH and his attitude. Even if he goes with us, he's not really there, IYKWIM. It's discouraging. And DD doesn't want to go when she sees that DH doesn't care about it. She thinks it's boring, she wants to lay down, she tries to talk, etc, etc. It's a real nightmare.

#88 of 112 Old 01-21-2011, 11:17 AM

If there is enough room for your children to lie down, why not just let them?  My kids wanted to do this when they were little too - as long as they weren't in anyone's way we just allowed them to stretch out on the pew with their lovey or a small quiet toy,  It was a whole lot easier to focus on the Mass when we could do this - of course, at the time we were attending a larger church with long pews, and  lots of empty pew space, so it was easy.

Kids talking during Mass doesn't bother me ... in fact, last Sunday I would have much rather heard the little girl behind me babbling, than listen to the super annoying electronic toy her monther gave her to keep her quiet (which didn't work, btw).

I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ. 

Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi 

#89 of 112 Old 01-21-2011, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger View Post

If there is enough room for your children to lie down, why not just let them?  My kids wanted to do this when they were little too - as long as they weren't in anyone's way we just allowed them to stretch out on the pew with their lovey or a small quiet toy,  It was a whole lot easier to focus on the Mass when we could do this - of course, at the time we were attending a larger church with long pews, and  lots of empty pew space, so it was easy.

Kids talking during Mass doesn't bother me ... in fact, last Sunday I would have much rather heard the little girl behind me babbling, than listen to the super annoying electronic toy her monther gave her to keep her quiet (which didn't work, btw).

Hearing kids in Mass doesn't bother me, either, but I think it's because I have some myself. I get very embarrassed when my kids are the ones making the noise. As for letting the kids lie down, I agree with you to a point. And I think my 6 yo has passed the point. I don't know how to get it through her stubborn little head that we need to be respectful. My 3 yo wouldn't be quiet and lie down if I paid him, lol.

#90 of 112 Old 02-08-2011, 09:53 AM

Lavatea, sorry to hear things are tough. I agree that a 6 y.o. is old enough to act respectfully at Mass. Our dd liked the story "The weight of a Mass" when she was having trouble seeing the value of going. Adoration might also help, as sometimes I think kids have a hard time understanding that the parts of the Mass are not "equal," that it is a huge deal that Jesus comes to us there.

Mama to a little lady and always praying for more.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page