Traditional Catholic Moms Advent/Christmas chat - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 112 Old 02-08-2011, 10:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Lavatea, do you think this would keep her occupied?  I have some sample copies, and they look really awesome.

Magnifikid!

I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ. 

Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi 

#92 of 112 Old 02-08-2011, 03:57 PM

Trigger - I got a free copy of Magnificat over Christmas and loved it. I plan on ordering myself a subscription and possibly one for DD. Thanks for the suggestion. Do you think there's enough an early reader could understand?

LTB - Adoration is a great idea! I actually wrote down the phone number to call to sign up for my own Adoration time (my parish does 24 hour Adoration). I should definitely drop in during the daytime with DD as well. Where do you get the story you recommended?

ETA - The last few weeks DD has actually been a bit better. Guess why? DH came to Mass with us. Fathers are powerful things. Always praying for his conversion.

Amanda praying.gif (31), RN, BSN
Catholic wife to guitar.gif (DH 28); mommy to blahblah.gif (DD 9), jog.gif (DS 6), angel2.gif (DS 11/09), angel1.gif (3/10), angel1.gif (6/10), our rainbow1284.gif (DS 1), and a surprise baby.gif (DD)

#93 of 112 Old 02-08-2011, 08:52 PM

Sorry to just jump in. My family could really use your prayers.

For those of you that have been following this thread for a while you might know that dh has really struggled with NFP. He also feels very done having children. We were surprised with a pg last april that ended in august at 17 wks when my son was born still. Then I really wanted another baby and preassured him into conceiving (I feel terrible and have since made ammends and changed my behavior). That pg ended in miscarriage at 8wks over thanksgiving. Dh was furious! We decided that we would wait 6 months and then discuss the issue as it was so heated. I was not ok with birth control but my marriage is very important so I was charting and dh was using condoms during my fertile phase. This was very hard for me. Well, we just found out we are pg again. I am of course excited for new life but am having a wide range of emotions. I don't know where the mistake happened with NFP or with the condoms but it did and here we are expecting again. Dh is livid. He is mad at God and mad at the church. He is threating vacectomy NOW not even wanting to see if this lo makes it. He is refusing to pray with our family since he found out and said he will not be going to church with us anymore and will be leaving the church (he is the one that got me to convert and it has been so wonderful for our marriage and family). I have no idea what God has in store for us. I am trying to accept it and not be in fear but it is next to impossible.

Prayers please!

nicole wild.gif,  mom to 3 boys here on earth jumpers.gif 9, 7 and 4.5 and 2 girl's fly-by-nursing2.gif2.5 and 10/16/11. Always remembering my babies in heaven:  Sam (9/7/05) at 12.5 wks  angel1.gif, Morgan (2/13/06) at 6 wks angel1.gif , Emeric angel2.gif (8/9/10 at 17 wks) and Pepper angel1.gif (11/26/10) at 8wks. 

#94 of 112 Old 02-08-2011, 09:38 PM

Many prayers for you, dear. I wonder what is causing your DH's anger. Sounds like there is definitely a big issue there. So sorry for the pain you are going through. Congrats on the new life within you. I really hope you guys pull through all of this OK.

Catholic wife to guitar.gif (DH 28); mommy to blahblah.gif (DD 9), jog.gif (DS 6), angel2.gif (DS 11/09), angel1.gif (3/10), angel1.gif (6/10), our rainbow1284.gif (DS 1), and a surprise baby.gif (DD)

#95 of 112 Old 02-09-2011, 05:08 AM

TBM - I'm so sorry, I can't imagine the stress upon you right now.  Is there ANYONE connected to the Church that your DH trusts and would speak to in confidence?  It sounds like he really needs to just get stuff off his chest, without fear of judgement - it's been my experience that people who are that angry are also afraid.  Does your diocese have a spiritual direction program? - and, if so, would he at least be willing to meet with someone?

It's so hard to trust again when you've been hurt in any way.  I pray that you can help your DH find his way back to Our Father, and trust, and happiness, again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavatea View Post

Trigger - I got a free copy of Magnificat over Christmas and loved it. I plan on ordering myself a subscription and possibly one for DD. Thanks for the suggestion. Do you think there's enough an early reader could understand? 

I do.  The booklets are designed for kids aged 6-12.  The setup is:

A comic/cartoon on the inside cover The Adventures of Brother Goodavdenture! and a small blurb about the week's theme

A brief editorial on the theme

The next several pages contain the full text, Scripture, and prayers of the liturgy for that Sunday, with definitions of "difficult words" and weekly "spotlights" along the bottom of those pages

A page of morning & evening prayers for the week

"The Saturday Page", which contains a small, simple activity/craft project

The final two pages seem to be the wildcard - some focus on saints, others on a subject like the Ascension

The back cover contains a game/puzzle

You can request a sample copy:

http://www.magnificat.net/magnifikid/exemplaire_gratuit1.asp

I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ. 

#96 of 112 Old 02-09-2011, 06:49 AM
JMJ

More prayers for you, Nicole.  Congratulations on the baby.  Always a blessing.

#97 of 112 Old 02-09-2011, 09:23 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Oh goodness! My prayers are with you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboysmama View Post

Sorry to just jump in. My family could really use your prayers.

For those of you that have been following this thread for a while you might know that dh has really struggled with NFP. He also feels very done having children. We were surprised with a pg last april that ended in august at 17 wks when my son was born still. Then I really wanted another baby and preassured him into conceiving (I feel terrible and have since made ammends and changed my behavior). That pg ended in miscarriage at 8wks over thanksgiving. Dh was furious! We decided that we would wait 6 months and then discuss the issue as it was so heated. I was not ok with birth control but my marriage is very important so I was charting and dh was using condoms during my fertile phase. This was very hard for me. Well, we just found out we are pg again. I am of course excited for new life but am having a wide range of emotions. I don't know where the mistake happened with NFP or with the condoms but it did and here we are expecting again. Dh is livid. He is mad at God and mad at the church. He is threating vacectomy NOW not even wanting to see if this lo makes it. He is refusing to pray with our family since he found out and said he will not be going to church with us anymore and will be leaving the church (he is the one that got me to convert and it has been so wonderful for our marriage and family). I have no idea what God has in store for us. I am trying to accept it and not be in fear but it is next to impossible.

Prayers please!

Proud Catholic (30) and mama to V (10)
#98 of 112 Old 02-09-2011, 09:34 AM

I know you wrote this to someone else, but I wanted to respond.

I got the sample Magnifikids for DD (6), and she wasn't too fond of them.  She is an advanced reader, but they are still too text rich for her, and are actually a distraction because every 3-4 words is "Mama, what does this say?" after she has attempted to sound out the word for herself.

You DD may appreciate having the prayers we say all the time (Gloria, Our Father, etc), but the rest may frustrate her.

I totally plan to get a subscription for her for her First Communion, but right now it's too much.

I just wanted to give me 2 cents regarding our experience with Magnifikid.

I would look into getting a good children's missal- like the My Picture Missalthe Mass Book for Children, or My Little Missal

Quote:

#99 of 112 Old 02-09-2011, 05:06 PM

thanks ladies.

Dh met with a priest today. He meets him bi-weekly. I didn't ask how it went but he seems a little less angry. I think  is a positive thing that he didn't cancel his regular appt with the priest.

Thanks again for all of your prayers. I know we will pull through. I know that God has a magnificant plan for us. We just need to be patient before we will know what it is.

I think I am going to request the sample copy of that magazine. It sounds great. Ds1 is an excellent reader at 8 yrs old and might enjoy something like that.

nicole wild.gif,  mom to 3 boys here on earth jumpers.gif 9, 7 and 4.5 and 2 girl's fly-by-nursing2.gif2.5 and 10/16/11. Always remembering my babies in heaven:  Sam (9/7/05) at 12.5 wks  angel1.gif, Morgan (2/13/06) at 6 wks angel1.gif , Emeric angel2.gif (8/9/10 at 17 wks) and Pepper angel1.gif (11/26/10) at 8wks. 

#100 of 112 Old 02-09-2011, 05:47 PM

Thanks for the further info regarding the MagnifiKid. I will order a sample copy and see, but I bet I'm going to have P&L's problem with the interruptions for help. I bought My Little Missal and stopped taking it b/c of the interruptions I got. Maybe we should re-read through that and see if she can read it better now.

#101 of 112 Old 02-09-2011, 05:59 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the further info regarding the MagnifiKid. I will order a sample copy and see, but I bet I'm going to have P&L's problem with the interruptions for help. I bought My Little Missal and stopped taking it b/c of the interruptions I got. Maybe we should re-read through that and see if she can read it better now.

Def read-thru it together.  DD benefited a lot form a read-thru, and I was able to answer more questions for her without worrying I would be disrupting others.

You might start a new tradition of reading the Sunday readings together as a family before Mass, perhaps Saturday night?

When I was at Franciscan, we celebrated "Lord's Day" on Saturday evenings- it consisted of singing hymns/praise and worship songs, reading Sunday's readings, and then reflecting on the readings together.  It made Sundays even better for me, because I had already read the readings, and was able to listen and open my heart.

#102 of 112 Old 02-09-2011, 06:01 PM

Quote:

I think I am going to request the sample copy of that magazine. It sounds great. Ds1 is an excellent reader at 8 yrs old and might enjoy something like that.

I think Magnifikid! would be great for your DS!

Like Magnificat, they have the prayers of the day, as well. 

#103 of 112 Old 02-10-2011, 07:04 AM
JMJ

Quote:

Dh met with a priest today. He meets him bi-weekly. I didn't ask how it went but he seems a little less angry. I think  is a positive thing that he didn't cancel his regular appt with the priest.

What a blessing that he has such a connection with your priest.  You must have an amazing priest if he can call it like it is and keep the trust of your husband when he's struggling so much with the Church.  God bless him!

#104 of 112 Old 02-10-2011, 12:17 PM

he is actually a retired priest that is occasionally at another parish in town. About 6 months ago dh went in for a confession bcs he was in the area. He like the guy a lot and they started meeting bi-weekly. It has been really good for him and the priest is very non -jugmental. I am glad dh didn't cancel.I was concerned that he would with how upset he was. this at least gives him a connection to God and the church for now.

#105 of 112 Old 02-10-2011, 12:56 PM

TBM, I've been thinking about you the last couple of days. I saw on your chart that you had gotten a BFP but I wasn't sure if you had announced it on here yet. I'm sorry that your DH is having such a tough time with this. I'm glad that he kept his meeting with the priest. With all the PAL issues that can arise, I hope the situation between you and DH resolves itself quickly so it will be one less thing on your mind.

Regarding whether it was an NFP issue or a condom failure, I think by looking at your chart that it was DTD on CD 21 that created this baby. Why did you discard the temp on CD 23? Sometimes babies are just meant to be here for whatever reason. The director of our NFP program at my parish conceived twin boys on a dry day. It just happens sometimes just like there are failures with artificial birth control.

Annie wife v2.0 to DH and joyfully parenting DSS 18 jog.gif, DSD 15 knit.gif, DSD 14 banana.gif, DSS 12bikenew.gifand heart hero DD 2superhero.gif. angel1.gif 8/2010

#106 of 112 Old 02-10-2011, 01:26 PM

Quote:

he is actually a retired priest that is occasionally at another parish in town. About 6 months ago dh went in for a confession bcs he was in the area. He like the guy a lot and they started meeting bi-weekly. It has been really good for him and the priest is very non -jugmental. I am glad dh didn't cancel.I was concerned that he would with how upset he was. this at least gives him a connection to God and the church for now.

That's awesome.

#107 of 112 Old 02-11-2011, 05:27 PM

Annie- I forget I have chart stalkers, LOL.

I was wondering about the 21st but I had absoluetly no cm (i hadn't had any yet that cycle) the only possible sign that I was becoming fertile was my cervix felt a little softer (but I have a really hard time telling the firmness of my cervix so that isn't a reliable symptom) My cervix was full closed and I had no cm...

I threw out the temp on cd23 as it was really really hot in my bedroom and my temp was unusually high then back down the next day. I didn't move it until i clearly had a real temp shift and my temps stayed high. Did I do it wrong? I really thought I had this down, uggg.

Thanks everyone for all of your prayers. They are much needed and really appreciated.

#108 of 112 Old 02-12-2011, 02:51 PM
JMJ

Nicole, I would agree with Annie that it was probably day 21, but it could have also been a condom failure on day 26 (peak day) or even day 28 since you don't technically have a phase III rule until day 29. The last dry day rule is the least effective of all the phase I rules and accounts for almost all of the method failure unplanned pregnancies in NFP. For anyone with a history of mucus patches lasting only a few days, I would recommend using a different phase I rule. Here are some options:

Clinical Experience Rules:

If you have a history of cycles as short as 21 days or less within the past year, or if you are in premenopause, the last day of Phase I is day 3.

... as short as 22 days, the last day of Phase I is day 4.

... 23-25 days, day 5.

... 26 days or longer, day 6.

Most conservative is to not assume that there is ever a phase I, but I would only recommend this for people with really short cycles or people who have very serious reasons to avoid pregnancy.

21/20 Day Rule:

With 6 months experience, shortest cycle minus 21 = last day of phase 1, IF DRY.

With 12 months experience, shortest cycle minus 20 = last day of phase 1, IF DRY.

Doering Rule:

With 6 months experience, earliest day of thermal shift minus 7 = last day of phase 1, IF DRY.

When I was CTA before my daughter, I used the Doering Rule a lot because I had a lot of long cycles with delayed ovulation. I had a very hard time telling from mucus when I was going to ovulate, often having 0 days of fertile mucus, and never more than a few days, so the Doering Rule helped me out a lot.

#109 of 112 Old 02-19-2011, 05:31 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

We're still on this thread, right? Just checking.

I don't know much about charts - I charted prior to DD but only for a few months and I wasn't CTA. I just started charting again to see why my cycles are all messed up {pretty sure it's thyroid acting up again} and has a puzzling question that might be TMI. I know the cervix changes after pregnancy, especially 1st pregnancy {DD was my 1st}, - should it be half hard and half soft all the time? I haven't been able to get into my doc to ask her and thought maybe someone here might know.

On a more on-topic question - what are everyones plans for Lent? I'm trying to find something educational type that I can work through a little at a time over Lent to help me understand more of the things I don't get as a convert. But I have no idea what books or anything would be good for this - any ideas?

Me, 29, Muslim hijab.gif single mama to T age 7 energy.gif We homeschool.gif saynovax.giffambedsingle1.gif and Love it!
#110 of 112 Old 02-19-2011, 06:29 PM

My mom got me a surprise subscription to Magnificat! joy.gif So exciting to find that in my mailbox yesterday.

Um, here are three books my sponsor gave me last year when I was Confirmed. I'm just now working my way through the devotion one, and I love it.

Devotions
Sacramentals
Mass

I think for Lent I'm going to dip my toe in the head covering waters. I'm so scared, though...
PatienceAndLove likes this.

#111 of 112 Old 02-19-2011, 09:54 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Quote:

My mom got me a surprise subscription to Magnificat! joy.gif So exciting to find that in my mailbox yesterday.

Um, here are three books my sponsor gave me last year when I was Confirmed. I'm just now working my way through the devotion one, and I love it.

Devotions
Sacramentals
Mass

I think for Lent I'm going to dip my toe in the head covering waters. I'm so scared, though...

Lavatea,

I just got Magnificat too - I've gotten sample issues before and it is great. I'm also going to head covering full time for Lent, so if you decide to cover for Lent you won't be the only one. I have two out of the three books you listed - Devotions and Sacramentals. Maybe I'll get the Mass one and work through it for Lent.

Me, 29, Muslim hijab.gif single mama to T age 7 energy.gif We homeschool.gif saynovax.giffambedsingle1.gif and Love it!
#112 of 112 Old 02-20-2011, 10:19 AM

New thread!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page