~*~ December Pagan Families Chat~*~ It's Yule/Midsummer!!!!! - Page 11 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#301 of 360 Old 12-26-2010, 10:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

treehugger.gif

Lots of hug.gif and goodvibes.gif for everyone!

Christmas was great. Good time for everyone involved. I'm happy.

Taking it easy today. More parties to come this week. Not much online time.

Love and Light! heartbeat.gif

Valérie   
#302 of 360 Old 12-26-2010, 02:40 PM

No time for lengthy replies to everybody right now, but just wanted to check in and let y'all know I AM ON THE TRAIN!!! joy.gif Somehow, I made it, against ALL odds. M and I lost today to be together, but we have tomorrow, and what's left of tonight (it's 5:40pm) which isn't much, but at least I'm here, and I'm safe. Val, glad your Christmas went alright. DOK, hope you're hanging in there. It doesn't look as bad out as M was making it out to be, but he has yet to pick me up and he's got two bald tires on his front wheel drive and it's all uphill to his house from the train station...sigh. I made it this far. I have faith. Cari, how's your finger? Sunshine-- yay. For now, huh? Whoever I missed...catch up with y'all later. I'm just so relieved I'm here.

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

#303 of 360 Old 12-26-2010, 03:49 PM

Maia- I expect that by now you're seeing the weather get bad.  I know that you are west of me so it may not be as bad there.

Hoping you and M stay safe and warm.

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

#304 of 360 Old 12-26-2010, 07:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by redveg View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by CariOfOz View Post

So.. I just got home from the ER.. I spectacularly cut my little finger on... get this... the toilet paper holder!  Its stainless steel and has a 'flap' of metal that lays on the roll ... I've caught on it before... but never thoguht about it.  It's apparently quite sharp as I now have a LARGE V shaped filet on my finger yikes2.gif  Bled like the proverbial stuck pig and went completely numb.  I'm happy the doc didn't want to stitch it though!  He gave it a clean and put a few steri strips around my finger to hold things together as it heals.  I was also lucky in that it only took an hour from the time i walked into the ER till I was calling Daim back to pick me up lol.  (I had him drop me off & go home  to hang out with the kids in case it tooka  while.. didn't want everyone's day to be wrecked!) 

Oh no.  I am glad your ok now and didn't get stiches.  Hope you heal quickly.   Love the hair.  I am thinking about going to a shorter style but am so nervous to just do it.  Right now my hair is  down to the middle of my back, but I would love  a sassy cut like yours.  I just need to be as brave as you.  Looks great!

Thanks hun,  I have to unwrap, clean and take off the yucky steri strips and replace them today.. NOT looking forward to it!  Ty for the compliments on my new do mamas!  Mine was well past my shoulders too inge, and it had to go, I was just not enjoying it anymore!   I'm funny with haircuts... I find a stylist I am comfortable with and once I trust them (after a few cuts)  I let them in on a secret.. it's hair, it grows back ;)  I will not get irate  if she suggests and I decide to try, something adventurous and it isn't perfect!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMoonMum View Post

cari-SO LOVE the hair!! OH did I congratulate you on the job?? jumpers.gif

Wish I could do bangs.....I have this very wierd, small section of hair right at the front and middle of my forehead-it's like the follicles are oriented straight up instead of however the others are, so unless my hair is long enough to weigh it down, the hair there goes up in a wave-like bump.irked.gif So if I cut bangs, without serious intervention from a hot-iron(which I cannot get the hang of) it sticks up in a bad way.

tentative success with DS! Got Everyone Poops, he loves it. Lots of encouragement, potty trips, rewards, and apple juice-today he had a seemingly pain-and-anxiety free poop!!!biggrinbounce.gif OH, keeping the fingers crossed...

Did I ask if any of you ladies have/have had a copper IUD? Got mine put in like a couple weeks ago(ish??) and still having cramps on and off, got pretty bad today. Just wondering if that's normal for some women? Of course nobody's in at the OB, and it's not enough to warrant me having her paged.

love and light to all

Ty for the grats :D  I have to do fringe/bangs.. I hate my forehead lol.. I have frown lines across it so I prefer to camoflauge them hehee.  Glad your little man seems to be taking well to your anxiety free poop campaign!  thumb.gif  No IUD for me so I have no idea.  I know cramps are pretty normal for a few days, but not sure about past that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetsunshine85 View Post

NMM~ Things went... pretty much as expected, though not as dramatically as I dreamed up, lol. My mother was unpleasant the whole time, snapping at everyone and refusing to look me in the eye. Everyone else was fine, which means mom hasn't told them yet. She and my best friend are apparently tag teaming me and my best friend acted all normal and like everything was ok, but at the same time not. She acted like she had to act like things were the same as always cuz people were watching. But the part that bothered me is I KNOW she's been feeding info to my mother behind my back and she had the nerve to talk to me like I'm not mad at her. Its all ridiculous and I know there's more to come. Now that the holiday is over, I don't know what my mother has in mind. She's made a big deal about "when the news comes out" on fb... I don't know. I'm glad to be home and away from my family. I don't know what's in store, but its likely to be ugly and I'd like to stay out of range. I can totally see her trying to bring back the burning times and thats not a warm fuzzy thought!

Really, is your mom just nuts?  And your friend.. wow.. I would be hard pressed to tell her that it NOT how a friend behaves!  :(  I think I'd dump mom from my fb honestly,  she is abusing the privelege of being there by attempting to intimidate you and posting things like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aubergine68 View Post

My mom is visiting now and I have *not* had a meltdown from holiday stress, and probably won't, now that the 25th has past, so this year is already better than last year.  Dh is starting a new job soon at which his income could be better or much better or a total bust - I'm trying to trust that he will be ok and that our family finances will rise in 2011, not the opposite.  I had two cheques that I was resigned to not seeing till late Jan, if then, come in on the 23rd and 24th, so I'm seeing that as a sign to stay positive. I should be using this slow week between Christmas doing homework, is what I should be doing.  And housework.

I made Nigella Lawson's gluten free Nutella cake for dessert yesterday and I have a third of it left.  To. Die. For.  Sublime. Will be making that recipe again!  I need to find out how much a case of Nutella costs, because as I was eating it, I made a resolution (probably divinely inspired)  to donate a case to the food bank in 2011 -- morale food.  

Sorry you had that bizarre cut, Cari - at least you get out of doing the dishes for a while, I bet....when do you start your new job - has that been settled?

What are your plans for New Years' eve?  We will go to our town's festivities, some outdoor/indoor activities for the kids, fireworks.It can be very cold -- they have bonfires and a s'mores making station and usually they have to thaw the marshmallows out by the fire in order to even get them soft enough to force them onto the roasting sticks.  But there is an ice slide for the children..... New Years is *our* holiday, not a holiday of family obligation, like Christmas. Remember last year's glorious full moon on New Years? This year's New Years will be a couple days away from the new moon on Jan 3rd.  It will be a dark night, hopefully starlit....

Glad you're coping with your mom's visit well!  If you made it thru the big day you should be alright :D  I really hope your dh's job is a winner hun... that's stress nobody needs!   ANYTHING Nigella makes is NOM.. we love her!!!!!!!!  DH hs alrady taken on dish duty, and supplied me with a plastic freezer bag with a rubber band so I can shower without getting it wet lol.. I can't imagine how much that would STING!!!!  I have my orientation for the new job on 12 January :D  waiting for the HR lady to send me all the details, hopefully this week!    I'm excited .. the job will be good of course, but the  big excitement for me is the financial freedom it will bring us.  We'll be able to save, and clear out some debts to the parents etc.  Looking forward to contributing to that.

New years... have NO idea! lol  It is supposed to rain until friday here, otherwise we might go to the big do the town puts on... musical entertainment and such, yummy food stalls, and 2 sets of fireworks!  One for the youngers at 8pm ish.. and the other at midnight. But if the weather is still like this we will likely give it a miss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiasaura View Post

No time for lengthy replies to everybody right now, but just wanted to check in and let y'all know I AM ON THE TRAIN!!! joy.gif Somehow, I made it, against ALL odds. M and I lost today to be together, but we have tomorrow, and what's left of tonight (it's 5:40pm) which isn't much, but at least I'm here, and I'm safe. Val, glad your Christmas went alright. DOK, hope you're hanging in there. It doesn't look as bad out as M was making it out to be, but he has yet to pick me up and he's got two bald tires on his front wheel drive and it's all uphill to his house from the train station...sigh. I made it this far. I have faith. Cari, how's your finger? Sunshine-- yay. For now, huh? Whoever I missed...catch up with y'all later. I'm just so relieved I'm here.

Glad you're safely there hun!  (at least i'm sure you are by now?!?)  Enjoy your visit with M! 

Finger is ok, will see what it looks like later unfortunately.  Must go out & pick up stuff for dinner, we have decided we need breakfast for dinner tonight!  so I will hit the chemist & get bandage supplies as well. I'm sure its stopped bleeding in there lol but the bandage is for my mental health.. I cannot handle SEEING it, because it looks pretty awful.  Towels are also on sale at Target, and I"m sick of having just barely enough of the bloomin things!  So i"m stopping in there too!  Of course, it is going to storm momentarily, so I guess we'll wait till the deluge passes and it's merely constant steady drizzle to go out :P

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
#305 of 360 Old 12-27-2010, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaughterOfKali View Post

Maia- I expect that by now you're seeing the weather get bad.  I know that you are west of me so it may not be as bad there.

Thanks!! Yes, I am safely here! Woohoo! And yes, we are snowed in, but I'm loving it. I can't think of anybody I'd rather be snowed in with luxlove.gif We have coffee and plenty of toilet paper and a kick-ass heater. I'm good to go lol.gif

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

#306 of 360 Old 12-27-2010, 06:41 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks!! Yes, I am safely here! Woohoo! And yes, we are snowed in, but I'm loving it. I can't think of anybody I'd rather be snowed in with luxlove.gif We have coffee and plenty of toilet paper and a kick-ass heater. I'm good to go lol.gif

Glad you gals are safe right now! I hope the power stays on and everyone is warm and snug!

Maia- TP is very important! hehe

Well, car problems aside, we had a fabulous Christmas, and my sister even announced that she is pregnant! Woot, I will get to be an AUNT! I can't wait to have a new baby to hold and spoil!

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#307 of 360 Old 12-27-2010, 06:50 AM

Trying to catch up lol...

Maia- that's such good news!  I know it's no fun to be snowed in/stuck en route but at least it's being stuck someplace you WANT to be instead of some airport somewhere!  Hope the week is fun and filled with snuggles!

DoK- hope the blizzard leads to a few relaxing days of hearth and home (with no need to go out for anything but fun).

SweetSunshine- I'm glad you made it through the gathering.  Hang in there!

Cari- love the hair, loathe the finger slice!  I grabbed a steak knife by the wrong end (it was in the sink, hidden by bubbles) and have joined you in the land of wounded fingers.

Weather- technically we have "flurries".  But we're now up to 10-12 inches on top of the 6-8 inches and the ice from the "freezing fog" thing that happened on christmas.  DH is out with the snow blower (the best gift ev-ah as far as I'm concerned... a relative gave it to us last year and o m g it rocks).

Speaking of OMG... nutella cake?  Seriously??  I swoon!  lol

I'm missing lots of people... my brother and sil go back to AK tomorrow so I'll have more time online, till then, I love you all... hope the season is merry and bright and full of smile!  Be well!

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#308 of 360 Old 12-27-2010, 08:47 AM

Maia- When do you fly home?  Hope you enjoy your cozy time.

Aeress- I'm sending you positive energy for car stuff!

Clay- Ooh, I'd love a snowblower.  Not that I want to be the one using it, but I'd love to have one.  hahahah.

Cari- Sending you healing energy.  Ooh, I'd love some new towels.  I need to figure out what color to get that won't look dingy after a handful of washes.

#309 of 360 Old 12-27-2010, 12:22 PM

Maia--glad you made it up north!  We  left before the snow started, so now we're at my ILs snowed in. It's a state of emergency so we're shut in, too.

Someone asked what probiotics I had my DH on. They're the Whole Foods brand probiotics. They're tiny little things, don't need refrigeration, and are about $23, I think.

I received bad news today, which makes it all the harder to stay in and do nothing. My grandfather has taken a turn for the worse and is near death. Hospice says it could be any time. I am SO glad we went to FL when we did, and that my aunt also went recently. He was my biggest advocate and hero, so this is really distressing.

Come ponder with me about food!
#310 of 360 Old 12-27-2010, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CariOfOz View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetsunshine85 View Post

NMM~ Things went... pretty much as expected, though not as dramatically as I dreamed up, lol. My mother was unpleasant the whole time, snapping at everyone and refusing to look me in the eye. Everyone else was fine, which means mom hasn't told them yet. She and my best friend are apparently tag teaming me and my best friend acted all normal and like everything was ok, but at the same time not. She acted like she had to act like things were the same as always cuz people were watching. But the part that bothered me is I KNOW she's been feeding info to my mother behind my back and she had the nerve to talk to me like I'm not mad at her. Its all ridiculous and I know there's more to come. Now that the holiday is over, I don't know what my mother has in mind. She's made a big deal about "when the news comes out" on fb... I don't know. I'm glad to be home and away from my family. I don't know what's in store, but its likely to be ugly and I'd like to stay out of range. I can totally see her trying to bring back the burning times and thats not a warm fuzzy thought!

Really, is your mom just nuts?  And your friend.. wow.. I would be hard pressed to tell her that it NOT how a friend behaves!  :(  I think I'd dump mom from my fb honestly,  she is abusing the privelege of being there by attempting to intimidate you and posting things like that.

Yeah, I'm thinking she is! I erased her today from my friends. And when she asks I will tell her she broke trust. And if necessary, I will erase everyone she knows from my friends. My so called friend is very close to be deleted as well. She needs to come clean with me soon or I'm gonna have to be really blunt with her. Its looks like a lot of people will not be part of my life anymore. Its so simple, if you want to be in my life, be respectful of who I am and I will do the same for you. Do NOT lie to me or go snooping behind my back! Do NOT try to make me change who I am, do NOT judge me. Accept me for me, thats all and I will do the same for you. We'll see how many of my "friends" really want to be in my life. Its their choice!

bellycast.gifI am the Goddess, I am the Mother, all acts of love and pleasure are my rituals.dust.gif
#311 of 360 Old 12-27-2010, 01:12 PM

Witchy, I'm so sorry about your grandfather. Hugs, you.

Sunshine-- you have great resolve. Hang in there. It sucks to find out who your real friends are, but it's a good thing, too.

#312 of 360 Old 12-27-2010, 01:18 PM

Maia~ Its very hard, but I'm running out of options. My first instinct was to run far away, but that's not practical! So, if I can't "fly" I must fight! This is not anyone else's life to live. Its mine! And who the hell do they think they are being "pained" by my choice. If they need to shun me, they should do so. This waiting for the shoe to drop stuff is getting old. Mom wants to "break the news", so be it and if people don't like the truth about me, they don't need to be around me. I don't want to be back there anyway. I would love to have my friends and family accept and understand, but if they won't, it seems less painful for me, to have them just not in my life! Ya know? I am starting to create my "family of choice" and that is a comfort. This is so not easy or anything I was prepared for, but I have to deal somehow!
:

bellycast.gifI am the Goddess, I am the Mother, all acts of love and pleasure are my rituals.dust.gif
#313 of 360 Old 12-27-2010, 03:40 PM

SweetSunshine- I am truly so sorry you're going through this. hug.gif  You have a great attitude and plan, but it is never easy when the ones who should love us unconditionally are not.

Witchy-I am sorry about your grandfather's health.  He sounds like an amazing person to have in one's life.  Be gentle with yourself and I hope you DH is fully recovered soon.

Maia- SO GLAD you made it there!  Whew that was close!  Have fun. smile.gif

DOK-Hope you're staying warm and safe.

Wombat-Yay for snowblowers!  My parents also experienced the snow fog in northern Montana.  They said it was beautiful, but they did not want to go anywhere.  Lots of car accidents and people slipping.

Aeress- Congrats on the new Auntie status. thumb.gif

Cari- I agree with everyone here.  That is a seriously cute do.  Love it!  Also, congrats on the job, but Boo on the finger.

Oops!  Gotta run!

dust.gifloving magick mama to DD(7) flower.gif and DS (5) Bolt.gifLife partner DP blueman.gif  earth.gif )0( treehugger.gif
#314 of 360 Old 12-27-2010, 06:22 PM

Hey mamas.

I know I haven't been around at all. But all is pretty much going okay. Had my little ds on 12/17/10. He was 6lbs. 15oz. and 20 inches. He's awesome and adorable. I start up with school again January 18th and Ds starts indoor soccer on the 22nd. Going to get busy, but I'm sure it will be fine. Hope to get back into posting again. orngbiggrin.gif

DeShanna mommy to at home learnin' dd10/03dust.gif, ds 04/05jammin.gif and new baby ds 12/10boc.gif lovin' dh C )O( You can't find peace, until you find all of your pieces.
#315 of 360 Old 12-27-2010, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Hehe  I was gonna say, snowed in? perfect!  And yeah, as long as there is coffee & tp you should be set!  enjoy your visit :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeress View Post

Well, car problems aside, we had a fabulous Christmas, and my sister even announced that she is pregnant! Woot, I will get to be an AUNT! I can't wait to have a new baby to hold and spoil!

Oh congrats to her, and to you as well :D   

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View Post

Cari- love the hair, loathe the finger slice!  I grabbed a steak knife by the wrong end (it was in the sink, hidden by bubbles) and have joined you in the land of wounded fingers.

Weather- technically we have "flurries".  But we're now up to 10-12 inches on top of the 6-8 inches and the ice from the "freezing fog" thing that happened on christmas.  DH is out with the snow blower (the best gift ev-ah as far as I'm concerned... a relative gave it to us last year and o m g it rocks).

Ok, seriously lol... my friend nancy sliced her thumb the day before I sliced my finger... then our friend paige did HERS the next day.. and now you??????? What, is a big white bandaged appendage a new fashion accessory? ROTFLMAO.gif  Hope you didn't do TOO good a job of it!   We unwrapped mine yesterday and peeled the steri strips off and redid it... it wasn't quite as scary as I'd expected.. but still not pretty!    I don't think 10+ inches of snow counts as flurries no matter how hard its actually snowing LOL!

Quote:

Cari- Sending you healing energy.  Ooh, I'd love some new towels.  I need to figure out what color to get that won't look dingy after a handful of washes.

Well the towels we already had are a turquoise colour, and a year later they are still bright and lovely!  They didn't have anything to match at target, so I got a sort of taupe/ type colour,.. darker than a beige, but lighter than a chocolate brown.. if that makes sense?  They have just come out of the dryer and they're so lovely & fluffy :D  and I bought THREE new bras (one of mine snapped it's underwire on xmas day) because they were 30% off,  at 17bucks each?  hell yeah!  It has been years since I had 4 bras lol.  I've limped along with 2 for ages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetsunshine85 

Yeah, I'm thinking she is! I erased her today from my friends. And when she asks I will tell her she broke trust. And if necessary, I will erase everyone she knows from my friends. My so called friend is very close to be deleted as well. She needs to come clean with me soon or I'm gonna have to be really blunt with her. Its looks like a lot of people will not be part of my life anymore. Its so simple, if you want to be in my life, be respectful of who I am and I will do the same for you. Do NOT lie to me or go snooping behind my back! Do NOT try to make me change who I am, do NOT judge me. Accept me for me, thats all and I will do the same for you. We'll see how many of my "friends" really want to be in my life. Its their choice!

Good on ya!  Personally I'd just come out on fb and announce ' I'm a bloody pagan already you nosy bittys!!!" and say that anyone that doesn't like that can now exit the friends list and no longer be a concern of mine :)  But I'm jsut bitchy that way lol 

Quote:
Originally Posted by witchygrrl View Post

I received bad news today, which makes it all the harder to stay in and do nothing. My grandfather has taken a turn for the worse and is near death. Hospice says it could be any time. I am SO glad we went to FL when we did, and that my aunt also went recently. He was my biggest advocate and hero, so this is really distressing.

Oh I'm so sorry to hear that witchy.  My beloved 'gdaddy' died when I was only 4.. and I STILL remember how I went through the house looking for him.  I hope he has a peaceful & calm passing and is pain free.  I'm glad you got to see him.  *hugs* to you

Nothing goin on here today mamas... got some house cleaning to do!  My bedroom has turned into a disaster area... you know how it is.. all the crap from xmas gifts .. tags, packaging all over. It's gotta get cleaned.  I'm going to the 10-15minutes thread to make a list lol.  Dh is going to do dishes and stuff that my finger wouldn't like and the boys are tidying their rooms.   I am just freaking out to get the house cleaned (not really FREAKING.. but having a huge urge to do so).  I think it's because my momma would always clean the whole house before new years, because she said it was just NOT something you did on new years (she said what you were doing on January 1 represented what you'd be doing all year long) SO... the house must be clean by new years eve.    AND I'm going to get dh to back his van up and load stuff to donate into it for a trip to St. Vinnies, and anything for kids is going to a friend whose got a neighbor that's a foster mum!.. we have several bags of stuffed toys in the garage, a big dining set that I hate, a washing machine (the lid has a broken plastic hinge, but it still works well!) among other things that I just want OUT. 

I want to start the new year with SPACE that is not filled with things that are not used or wanted.  After all that... I'm making a big wok of fried rice NOM!!

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
#316 of 360 Old 12-28-2010, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by witchygrrl View Post

I'm so sorry.  candle.gif  May his passing be peaceful.  

#317 of 360 Old 12-28-2010, 06:34 AM

Witchy- *hugs* thinking of you, your family and Grandfather! May he find peace.

Thanks for the congrats for becoming an Aunt. I really am excited.

Car news- We knew about the brakes, but now we have to put in a new battery and alternator. Some 700-800 later and we should be all set. I have had this van for over 6 years and it really runs well, we have put very little into it besides brakes, tired and oil changes, so I shouldn't complain. I can't wait for it to done though.

Thinking of everyone!

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#318 of 360 Old 12-28-2010, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetsunshine85 View PostMaia~ Its very hard, but I'm running out of options. My first instinct was to run far away, but that's not practical! So, if I can't "fly" I must fight! This is not anyone else's life to live. Its mine! And who the hell do they think they are being "pained" by my choice. If they need to shun me, they should do so. This waiting for the shoe to drop stuff is getting old. Mom wants to "break the news", so be it and if people don't like the truth about me, they don't need to be around me. I don't want to be back there anyway. I would love to have my friends and family accept and understand, but if they won't, it seems less painful for me, to have them just not in my life! Ya know? I am starting to create my "family of choice" and that is a comfort. This is so not easy or anything I was prepared for, but I have to deal somehow!

:

Well, you are doing very well at it, I say thumb.gif ITA with you on every count. Defriend them all! Shoot 'em all and let God sort 'em out, as the old saying goes winky.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by femme_rouge View PostMaia- SO GLAD you made it there!  Whew that was close!  Have fun. smile.gif

Right? It was VERY close. Now to see if/how I can make it back on time. I'm supposed to fly out NYE, but the news said NYC and surrounding airports have like 7000 people delayed!!! Sleeping in the airports and such. To think how close I was to becoming one of them! But I have seat assignments on my flights home, so should be good to go fingersx.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by unschoolinmom View PostI know I haven't been around at all. But all is pretty much going okay. Had my little ds on 12/17/10. He was 6lbs. 15oz. and 20 inches. He's awesome and adorable. I start up with school again January 18th and Ds starts indoor soccer on the 22nd. Going to get busy, but I'm sure it will be fine. Hope to get back into posting again. orngbiggrin.gif

Welcome back! Your new LO Is so cute. I wish I could get your pic bigger on your profile to see your whole fam better. My eyes are just not good enough to see them in detail, but they are gorgeous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CariOfOz View PostI think it's because my momma would always clean the whole house before new years, because she said it was just NOT something you did on new years (she said what you were doing on January 1 represented what you'd be doing all year long) SO... the house must be clean by new years eve.  

I wonder what state I left my house in lol.gif Oh, and oh no! I left the two cans of black eyed peas at my house! Must go out and get some for NYD. Yikes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeress View PostThanks for the congrats for becoming an Aunt. I really am excited.

Add my congrats to the pile orngbiggrin.gif How fun!

M is at work. He'll get home around 1:30 and I really hope he's in a good mood and not too tired!

#319 of 360 Old 12-28-2010, 09:25 AM

Witchy, so sorry about your Grandfather.

Maia glad you made it.

Crazy weather here.  We got 18" of snow and the wind was just horrible!!  I am so glad it's over as far as snow goes but that wicked wind is still here.

New Years, I am going to do what I do every year, try to make it until midnight but most likely fall asleep. 

earth.gif lovin, treehugger.gif  veggie

#320 of 360 Old 12-28-2010, 01:56 PM

happy healing thoughts to those who need them, both physically and emotionally.

we got back from Canada last night.  had our car searched by Canada customs on the way there.  no excitement on the return trip through US customs (for a change).

2-3 days ago, my head was itching really badly.  i thought it was because of the dry air or the chlorine in the water or just a really bad case of dandruff because of a big change in diet and environment (my mom's house has gluten in every corner)...  but last night (at midnight) i discovered the real cause: LICE!  what a pain.  going to smother heads in oil and wrap with plastic at bedtime.  meanwhile, i am queen of laundry and dh is king of the vacuum. with all the indoor activities of the past week or two, it's hard to tell if we picked them up in Canada or took them with us on a US-Canada tour, so i've been canceling lessons and our small New Year's Eve party plans, rescheduling snowsuit buying plans, and letting people (with whom we've been in contact lately) know to start picking over their own family's hair.  just in case. 

Cari, i hope this passes quickly.  i don't want to be picking out lice on NYD - if that's what i'll be doing all 2011.  at least my house is clean.  for the moment.

Jennifer, Naturopath and mom

#321 of 360 Old 12-28-2010, 02:39 PM

Jennifer- Next time you treat your heads, add some real mayo to your hair.  I used that combo on my hair when I caught lice from my neighbor 10 yrs ago.  I applied it every 3 days for a week and a half.

#322 of 360 Old 12-28-2010, 07:38 PM

Liz, the "drown the bugs in oil" is a variant of the mayonnaise approach.  most references suggest olive oil, but someone else suggested castor oil (very very goopy) plus essential oils - so that's what we're doing tonight because that's what i have.  i usually make my mayo when i need it, from scratch, so i don't keep it in stock.

here's a different perspective on the New Year: http://www.elephantjournal.com/2010/12/stick-your-new-years-resolutions-where-the-sun-dont-shine--brooke-thomas  

Jennifer, Naturopath and mom

#323 of 360 Old 12-28-2010, 11:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CariOfOz View PostI think it's because my momma would always clean the whole house before new years, because she said it was just NOT something you did on new years (she said what you were doing on January 1 represented what you'd be doing all year long) SO... the house must be clean by new years eve.  

I wonder what state I left my house in lol.gif Oh, and oh no! I left the two cans of black eyed peas at my house! Must go out and get some for NYD. Yikes!

Hehehe  I have no black eyed peas!!!!!!!! MUST get some, and greens of some sort as well.. collards are not common here so chard may have to stand in for that ;)  And I'm cooking a lovely ham Friday evening so we'll have ham for days.

I got a ton done yesterday,  our bedroom looks lovely now :)  Still have to take care of the ensuite and the main bathroom.  DH is going to start on the garage and mop for me tonight (in the family room)  And I'd like to get to the veranda before new years as well, everything is shoved against the house so it didn't become airborne during the storms. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluets View Post

Cari, i hope this passes quickly.  i don't want to be picking out lice on NYD - if that's what i'll be doing all 2011.  at least my house is clean.  for the moment.

Oh ickies, I hope you manage to clear those suckers out pronto!  

#324 of 360 Old 12-29-2010, 04:46 AM

Oh, lice is such a pain in the butt!!  Just thinking about it makes my head itch.  I hope your clean up goes smoothly and quickly Jennifer.

Morning all.  The weather here is looking not too bad today.  Unloading a Co-Op order on Monday was so nasty and today I have a sore throat.  I will be trying to get rid of that with some emergen-c.  Hope everyone has a great day!!

earth.gif lovin, treehugger.gif  veggie

#325 of 360 Old 12-29-2010, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluets View Post

Liz, the "drown the bugs in oil" is a variant of the mayonnaise approach. ...

Yep, I used olive oil and mayo.  And tea tree oil.  I didn't want to take any chances. wink1.gif

#326 of 360 Old 12-29-2010, 05:52 AM

LICE-high heat will help kill those little buggers. Any stuffies can be washed and dried on high heat or put in plastic for a long time. Hope you are lice free soon!

Nothing to report....waiting for my books to arrive. :)

#327 of 360 Old 12-29-2010, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluets View PostLiz, the "drown the bugs in oil" is a variant of the mayonnaise approach.  most references suggest olive oil, but someone else suggested castor oil (very very goopy) plus essential oils - so that's what we're doing tonight because that's what i have.  i usually make my mayo when i need it, from scratch, so i don't keep it in stock.

here's a different perspective on the New Year: http://www.elephantjournal.com/2010/12/stick-your-new-years-resolutions-where-the-sun-dont-shine--brooke-thomas  

Oh ugh, bluets. I'm so sorry! I hope they get gone soon! Unfortunately, the only thing I've seen work for lice is the toxic stuff. I watched a whole community (Earthaven) have to shave their heads when they had a breakout, and the oil didn't do diddly.

Loved that site! Bookmarked it and passed it on!

Catchword for the New Year...hmm. I didn't do this last year. I think for me, I want to smile more. I want to take a lighter attitude with my ds. I'm SO, so stern with him. Of course he...he's a very hard kid to parent, and he's got a hella attitude, and as a result I'm very strict and authoritarian with him, but still. I think I could still be strict while lightening up. Any ideas, mamas? What can be my Word For The Year? Relax, maybe?

I know when I was getting sober, I prayed for more patience. I will NEVER, evah do that again! lol.gif I was waiting tables at the time, and it took a solid week of the most ill-mannered, evil, rude customers before I hit myself on the head, a'la V-8 moment, and said "OK, higher power, I get it!!! Leave me alone!" winky.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by CariOfOz View PostHehehe  I have no black eyed peas!!!!!!!! MUST get some, and greens of some sort as well.. collards are not common here so chard may have to stand in for that ;)  And I'm cooking a lovely ham Friday evening so we'll have ham for days.

Oh, ham and beans and greens, GREAT idea! In the crock pot! Oh, I am so doing that next week. And coleslaw. NOM!!!

What's an ensuite? And a veranda? A veranda's a porch, right? lol.gif redface.gif

Mamas....even though M's having to work, I am having a really good, relaxing time. Clay-- the, um, sex issue is working itself out! Yay! I'm backing off with...well, trying not to be pestery, and he's being more accommodating, so it's really working out nicely joy.gif
So far he's absolutely refusing to take tomorrow off greensad.gif Now he's talking about taking Friday off and going with me to the airport. Um, if you were going to do that, M, I would have booked a later flight! irked.gif I booked the flight I did so that I could take off from the train at the same time he has to be at work. He works right by the train station. Well...with all this airport madness, I'm not putting any eggs in any baskets, not till I get ON my flights will I believe I'm going to make it back to my Mom's on time. But at least this time I have some wiggle room.

#328 of 360 Old 12-29-2010, 06:41 AM

Bluets - sorry to hear about the lice! I haven't had to deal with that yet but the suggestions here seem consistant and interesting so at least form me thanks for starting the discussion! I  hope it goes away quickly for all of you though.

Witchy - sorry to hear about your grandfather, it sounds like he is a special person...there are too few of those around. Glad you were able to visit not long ago.

Unschoolin - congrats on your birth and your LO! What great news! 

I think today we are going out...we are already 2 hours away from the nearest big city and now we are driving 2 hours further north to get to another one (one way, coming home tonight). I guess we better get moving.

I'm reading Laborynth of Birth by Pam England and really seeing the spiritual connections for myself about my upcoming birth. I have so many fears about it right now (which I will discuss with my mw and probably in the DDC). In the middle of the night, I woke up with this thought of a fun kid-friendly ritual. Having someone blow bubbles (or one of those bubble machines) and popping them to get rid of fears, things you want to let go, etc. A little light hearted but a favourite passtime at my place. 

Nicole: mama to DD and DS, childbirth educator and doula. Dancing the spiral dance of life bellycast.gif

#329 of 360 Old 12-29-2010, 08:18 AM

eeeew on the head lice. we ended up shaving everyone's heads to about 1/4 in of hair and after two weeks of natural stuff i just got the yucky stuff and that seemed to do the trick. it was bad, my poor oldest son had it the longest and only because i thought the reason his head was itchy was because he wasn't washing his hair well enough. lol by the time i figured it out we all had it and some of the kids friends did. although we may have got it from one of them. lol

it is very overcast here today, i like that, feels all cozy. 

christmas was a bit weird at my folks house. everything seemed fine until dinner time and then my mom got all stressed and weird. she wouldn't eat my sweet potatoes. (LOL. why she asked me i will never know),and you know, her food isn't as good as i remember. we haven't eaten one of her big meals in over two years. and since then i have learned to really enjoy cooking and learned to cook better and well it was disappointing. plus i TRULY believe your attitude while cooking does effect how it tastes. she is always so upset, stressed and pissed when she cooks. she doesn't enjoy it, and you can tell. she is so afraid of change, that she will do NOTHING different even if what is is making could stand a bit of improvement. 

oh well, such is life. lol

must go make the kids some sort of food. :)

h

mama to 6 amazing children joy.gif married to my main man for 21 years love.gif and finally home FULL time dishes.gifhang.gifknit.gif

#330 of 360 Old 12-29-2010, 08:47 AM

ewww lice. i hate lice. they make my skin crawl just thinking about it. my DSD's sister came over to spend the night for her bday. we didnt find out till the next morning that they thought she still had lice. omg! seriously. you should at least tell someone before you send your kid over.

i still dont know what is going on with me. the nausea let up, but i am still really tired all the time and i have been a complete uav to everyone for the last couple of weeks. today i woke up nagging. that is how bad it is. i hope it is just my hormones coming back on line after dd2's birth. i have been charting but i cant tell what is going on anymore. http://www.tcoyf.com/members/LionessMom/charts/1.aspx . i think i am going to ask the doc to draw blood again to check my progesterone level and my thyroid function. i dont know what else to do besides wearing my stones and overdosing on chamomile tea.

Me,DH,DS1'95, '98,DSD'03,DD1'07,DD2'09,DS2'12 Living with Fructose Malabsorption Syndrome and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome Type 3-Hypermobility.)o( and sometimes I get toif I am lucky.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page