~*~ December Pagan Families Chat~*~ It's Yule/Midsummer!!!!! - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 360 Old 12-10-2010, 10:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Ouch!  Poor baby and poor you!  Are you sure it's gas?  Could it be teething pain that the hylands isn't covering, or ear pain from an infection?  I remember Torin was crying and fussy at night and we thought it was gas... but at his well baby visit the next week they found that he had a pretty big ear infection!  We took a wait and see approach (so no abx) but we did start giving him iburofen and night.  It sounds like you're doing everything possible for gas pain... and if it's not helping, maybe look at the teeth or ears angle?  Hang in there!

My dr visit- went pretty well I think!  I have a follow up appointment for Jan 13th.  Till then I have a 10 day course of abx followed by three weeks of diflucan (which may turn into a longer course, it depends on symptoms).  Torin has more nystatin and bactorban.  First week of Jan I have a full metabolic workup scheduled, looking at general blood stuff, thyroid, hormones, iron, clotting, etc.  We'll go over the results and options at the visit on the 13th.  We'll discuss treatment for depression at that meeting too, based on what the thyroid looks like.  And we'll discuss what, if anything, needs to be done about the thrush/mrsa at that point (fingers crossed the anx and diflucan work with the "triple nipple" and grapefruit seed extract to knock this thing out!).  It cost more than I'd hoped but less than it could have... the dr wiggled things around so that she could bill a lower amount overall.  I lurve them!

winter car- we're negotiating some snow tires.  We do have chains but they 1- don't seem to help and 2- we have to take them on and off every time we drive since you can't go faster than 30mph with them on and we really only need them for our home road.... everything else is snow free and faster than 30mph!

dd1's school- it's not "technically" a school... it's a private in-home daycare for children ages 2-8.  The woman who runs it/lives there is a certified teacher in the waldorf tradition and she basically runs the daycare as a small waldorf inspired school.  She helps parents with the homeschooling paperwork and provides lesson plans to families who want that, but it's not an "official" school... it's an "official" in home daycare.  But DH and I are brainstorming... it's gonna be a VERY brainstormy weekend!  LOL

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#122 of 360 Old 12-10-2010, 11:49 AM

Quick post: Doc felt a lump in each breast.  She thinks they are just cysts but I'm getting a mammogram on Jan 21st (she said it's fine to wait til then.)  I was hoping for a quicker appointment because that would lessen the chance of a big snow storm.  Jan and Feb weather is horrid here.

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

#123 of 360 Old 12-10-2010, 01:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

goddesses for your chakras: http://www.artmagicpublishing.com/sofcobyjoja.html

Jennifer, Naturopath and mom

#124 of 360 Old 12-10-2010, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liza-s View Post

I need some ideas. DD is screaming in gas pain in her sleep. Sometime it wakes her, sometimes she only wakes when I try and move or comfort her.  It seems to start about 7 pm.  We've been trying Hyland's teething tabs, colic tabs, Boiron Cocyntal, homeopathic Lycopodium, Simethicone (Mylicon) gas drops.  I've cut back on or elininated from her diet the beans and broccoli. I'm being much moire careful about my dairy intake (she's allergic).  It's better - but the screaming every hour 7pm-3am is horrible.  Any ideas or advice?

I hope you little one feels better soon. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaughterOfKali View Post

Quick post: Doc felt a lump in each breast.  She thinks they are just cysts but I'm getting a mammogram on Jan 21st (she said it's fine to wait til then.)  I was hoping for a quicker appointment because that would lessen the chance of a big snow storm.  Jan and Feb weather is horrid here.

Last year I had the same thing happen and it was cysts.  I cut out caffeine and it has helped a lot, I drank tons of the stuff!

Thank you all for the birthday wishes. 

earth.gif lovin, treehugger.gif  veggie

#125 of 360 Old 12-10-2010, 04:22 PM

DOK- thinking of you!

Liza- yowza, poor you and poor dd. Hope you can find what is causing it or a way to relieve it.

We picked up our second dog today. He is a scavenger and led by his nose, but we can work on that. Our first dog had an immediate bond with us, Xander is a little slower to warm up. He likes us but isn't needy. Should be ineresting...

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#126 of 360 Old 12-10-2010, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I need some ideas. DD is screaming in gas pain in her sleep. Sometime it wakes her, sometimes she only wakes when I try and move or comfort her.  It seems to start about 7 pm.  We've been trying Hyland's teething tabs, colic tabs, Boiron Cocyntal, homeopathic Lycopodium, Simethicone (Mylicon) gas drops.  I've cut back on or elininated from her diet the beans and broccoli. I'm being much moire careful about my dairy intake (she's allergic).  It's better - but the screaming every hour 7pm-3am is horrible.  Any ideas or advice?

Oh goodness that sounds awfuL :(  I think I'd give clays' suggestion a shot and investigate teeth & ears just in case it's not actually her guts.  I do know that whne Lucas had ear infections he really had trouble being flat and wailed like a banshee.. have you got a baby wedge type thing to try?   *hugs* for you, I really hope you figure out what's up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View Post

My dr visit- went pretty well I think!  I have a follow up appointment for Jan 13th.  Till then I have a 10 day course of abx followed by three weeks of diflucan (which may turn into a longer course, it depends on symptoms).  Torin has more nystatin and bactorban.  First week of Jan I have a full metabolic workup scheduled, looking at general blood stuff, thyroid, hormones, iron, clotting, etc.  We'll go over the results and options at the visit on the 13th.  We'll discuss treatment for depression at that meeting too, based on what the thyroid looks like.  And we'll discuss what, if anything, needs to be done about the thrush/mrsa at that point (fingers crossed the anx and diflucan work with the "triple nipple" and grapefruit seed extract to knock this thing out!).  It cost more than I'd hoped but less than it could have... the dr wiggled things around so that she could bill a lower amount overall.  I lurve them!

winter car- we're negotiating some snow tires.  We do have chains but they 1- don't seem to help and 2- we have to take them on and off every time we drive since you can't go faster than 30mph with them on and we really only need them for our home road.... everything else is snow free and faster than 30mph!

dd1's school- it's not "technically" a school... it's a private in-home daycare for children ages 2-8.  The woman who runs it/lives there is a certified teacher in the waldorf tradition and she basically runs the daycare as a small waldorf inspired school.  She helps parents with the homeschooling paperwork and provides lesson plans to families who want that, but it's not an "official" school... it's an "official" in home daycare.  But DH and I are brainstorming... it's gonna be a VERY brainstormy weekend!  LOL

Clay, oh wonderful that the docs worked so well with you about the $ AND the treatments!  I'm glad they are taking you seriously :)   I know you were a little concerned about that.    Snow tires are DEFINITELY a good idea.. we had them in alaska (obviously lol) and they are actually more helpful than chains IMO.   Ours were actually studded though, not sure if the lower 48 uses those except in the worst areas?   

Good luck with your brainstormy weekend huN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaughterOfKali View Post

THinking good thoughts that they are just cysts.  They are VERY common and some women have them pop up at points in their menstrual cycle, and then vanish.  Our bodies do some odd stuff.  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeress View Post

We picked up our second dog today. He is a scavenger and led by his nose, but we can work on that. Our first dog had an immediate bond with us, Xander is a little slower to warm up. He likes us but isn't needy. Should be ineresting...

Hopefully he gets used to this 'family' idea soon,  he may just need more time to settle in :)   Give him a scratch behind the ears for me hehehe.

I need a bit of advice mamas.  My former supervisor STILL has not returned my call about a job reference greensad.gif irked.gif  I'm going to try calling the HR department there on Monday to see if THEY will give just a brief reference verifying my employment if nothing else.  But... I remembered someone I worked with there who I think would give me a reference,  we saw each other weekly with work so she knows how I was with the clients etc.  The only problem is I can only remember her first name.  Here's the twist... DUring my brief tupperware stint, I did a party for her, so I know where she lives.  I am wondering if it would be too stalkerish for me to write a letter and drop it off in her mail box (you can do that here :) or just knock on her door and say Hi Trudy!  and have a chat with her?    We were pretty friendly at that time, but it has been a few years so I think it might be  a bit bizarre lol.  BUT I'm desperate!  I am SURE they will offer me this job if only I can drum up a single decent reference!  Without one, I can kiss it goodbye :(

Oh.. and re: really effing $$ uniforms... mum asked about school stuff with the boys today and when I shared that with her she volunteered to make a donation LOL.  Do I have an awesome MIL or what?  Seriously, she rocks!  thumb.gif  

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
#127 of 360 Old 12-10-2010, 07:11 PM

Cari- You DO have an awesome MIL!

As far as the reference, not so stalkerish, but pretty forward. I would try calling and then try the letter. I like being fwd.

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#128 of 360 Old 12-10-2010, 09:53 PM

grrrr. i swear some days i wanna just run screaming from this house. i was having a rough day, my body was really hurting and i was really tired. so what happens to dh? well he feels bad too so he can't do anything to help out. i just wanna freaking scream. i swear this happens alot. i can't just rest. grrr.

h

mama to 6 amazing children joy.gif married to my main man for 21 years love.gif and finally home FULL time dishes.gifhang.gifknit.gif

#129 of 360 Old 12-11-2010, 05:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wombatclay View PostMy dr visit- went pretty well I think!  I have a follow up appointment for Jan 13th. 

the dr wiggled things around so that she could bill a lower amount overall.  I lurve them!

But DH and I are brainstorming... it's gonna be a VERY brainstormy weekend!  LOL

Yay on the Dr. visit! You do sound MUCH relieved, even through the 'net smile.gif And yay about the price. That's awesome. It sounds like your DH and you are being rational and not freaking out, which is always a good thing! Things will work out, Clay. They will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CariOfOz View PostI am wondering if it would be too stalkerish for me to write a letter and drop it off in her mail box (you can do that here :) or just knock on her door and say Hi Trudy!  and have a chat with her?

Not at all stalkerish! I would definitely do it (and peek at her mailbox for her last name while you're at it winky.gif ) Just out and ask her if she'll write a reference letter! I'm sure she will!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaofthree View Postgrrrr. i swear some days i wanna just run screaming from this house. i was having a rough day, my body was really hurting and i was really tired. so what happens to dh? well he feels bad too so he can't do anything to help out. i just wanna freaking scream. i swear this happens alot. i can't just rest. grrr.

Aww, big hugs hug2.gif That has to be more frustrating than not having anyone at all (like me). I used to live it, though. Had two other people in the house, plus an infant, and it was like having three infants. HUGE hugs, and remember to breathe.

Plus, you say GRRR too, so you win goblets and chocolate cupcakes! lol.gif

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

#130 of 360 Old 12-11-2010, 05:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maiasaura View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CariOfOz View PostI am wondering if it would be too stalkerish for me to write a letter and drop it off in her mail box (you can do that here :) or just knock on her door and say Hi Trudy!  and have a chat with her?

Not at all stalkerish! I would definitely do it (and peek at her mailbox for her last name while you're at it winky.gif ) Just out and ask her if she'll write a reference letter! I'm sure she will!

*whew*  My MIL didn't think it was too weird either lol.    Mailboxes here don't have names on them though!  so that idea is a no go LOL.  She's the kind of person I just come out and say I'm sorry Trudy, I can NOT remember your last name for the life of me!  and she'll say that's ok, I couldn't remember yours either lol.gif      I also had a DUH moment,  I searched for her on facebook and MIGHT have found her ( I'm not 100% sure about the last name but I think it might be her)  and sent a msg.. so wish me luck!

It's muggy and overcast and likely to rain more here today so nothing planned.  Actually a big thing plannned.. I have to work out how to fund the rest of the things I have to buy for xmas  BEFORE xmas lol.. 2 more paychecks and one of hose might get eaten by the power bill EEEK!!!!

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
#131 of 360 Old 12-12-2010, 06:47 PM

clay-health and money vibes to you!!goodvibes.gifmo3-yeah, I would, and often do, get really super pissy when DH has one of his many headaches-for which he refuses to go to the doctor-and I have to take care of everybody. Hugs hug2.gif

cari-good luck with Trudy...hey, forgetting a last name? WAY less embarrassing than forgetting a first name!lol.gif

aeress-happy new doggie! I have personally found sometimes the ones who are slow to warm, end up being the most affectionate. Case in point my cat Nibby I told you all a bit about before. He was so traumatized it took SO many months for him to come around at all, and he turned out to be a total soulmate. 

liza-ITA, if it is indeed gas our saving grace has been massage and knees-to-belly. I had to help my DH with this, with DD we REALLY have to get those knees into the belly-her feet actually almost touch her face. I'm afraid it probably looks forceful and she cries as the gas moves, but BOY does it come flying out. But like Clay said could it be something else? Is her ear red, in whole or in part, when she is NOT crying? Is she pulling on the ear?

I must say, it comes in handy having a husband who works in the hearing sciences and can spot an ear infection-but you should see him react to how often otoscopes are misused, even by pediatricians! 

DOK-thinking of you and goodvibes.gif for good health. I have have very cyst-y ovaries since around age 12, also benign...here's hoping your situation is similar.

once again I fell off the face of the earth here, plus a little bit of computer issues. And a doctor bonanza-got an IUD on wednesday, and as I suspected would happen my body is having a bit of trouble adjusting. I am so used to the pill-because of the aforementioned ovarian cysts, I've been on them since age 15, but because of the Cholestasis I should not be on hormonal birth control(it actually causes itching.) I was terrified of the procedure, and I hate the idea of this metal thing in my body. But what are you going to do.

It's my birthday, and I keep forgetting that. My dad, bro and sis did a combo birthday/Yule/Hanukkah gift and got me a Wii! Plus my bro sent a copy of the game Okami...if a painting were a game, it would be Okami, it is so drool-worthy!  Then I used some b-day cash to get Lego Harry Potter.orngbiggrin.gif

DH will be out of town from tomorrow morning till very late tuesday night, and DS seems crushed about it.greensad.gif So tonight they've set up another one of their experiments and at my urging made a "chart" together, which DS and I will use to record observations and report back to DH when he gets back.  I hope it helps. Daddy is always the first thing he asks for in the morning.

I continue to be super happy with our book Vegan Comfort Food...we tried out the Egg "MacGuffin" this weekend and it rocks!! And we just acquired our own copy of Cooking With Seitan, we have not tried it yet but are stoked, it's like the seitan bible!

enough blabbering, have a nice sunday eve ladies!

#132 of 360 Old 12-12-2010, 11:55 PM

I know gas/intestinal issues are at least a big part of her problem. Thanks for the ideas and empathy.  (I wrote a long post yesterday responding to ideas, then she hit the power button, argh.) Let's see: DD is 12months. She's dairy allergic and bf'ing. I have to admit I haven't been as strictly dairy-free as I should. Previously she didn't have symptoms if I had an occassionally cheese slice.  I am not currently gluten-free but hapowing any signs she had during her last ear infection, but she's teething a bit.  ve had sensitivity problems in the past and done elimination diets.  For the last few days we've allowed no solid food after 6 pm except soy yogurt or homemade applesauce. She nurses or drinks hemp milk.  Today she snubbed food.  She isn't liking tummy massage, but we do some. She likes really warm hands on her tummy.  She also likes when I rocke her belly side-to-side or if I put my hand under her bottom and rock her pelvis up & down.  She has been unhappy sleeping on her tummy, unless she is sleeping in me or on a pillow.  The last few days she's has diarrhea and really explosive "sharts," but she's also had normal poop, all in the same day. She gone though from 1 poop per day to 4 or 5 though.  She has almost so discomfort except  5 pm - 6 am.  I can't take time off this week, so I can't get her to the ND until 12/21.

Liza - Bird watching, tree hugging, dirt eating, kinda-crunchy momma to my cub (3) and bird (1). treehugger.gifcold.gifdust.gifflower.gif
#133 of 360 Old 12-13-2010, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CariOfOz View Post

I need a bit of advice mamas.  My former supervisor STILL has not returned my call about a job reference greensad.gif irked.gif  I'm going to try calling the HR department there on Monday to see if THEY will give just a brief reference verifying my employment if nothing else.  But... I remembered someone I worked with there who I think would give me a reference,  we saw each other weekly with work so she knows how I was with the clients etc.  The only problem is I can only remember her first name.  Here's the twist... DUring my brief tupperware stint, I did a party for her, so I know where she lives.  I am wondering if it would be too stalkerish for me to write a letter and drop it off in her mail box (you can do that here :) or just knock on her door and say Hi Trudy!  and have a chat with her?    We were pretty friendly at that time, but it has been a few years so I think it might be  a bit bizarre lol.  BUT I'm desperate!  I am SURE they will offer me this job if only I can drum up a single decent reference!  Without one, I can kiss it goodbye :(

I agree with the others, not stalkerish at all. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMoonMum View Post

It's my birthday,

I continue to be super happy with our book Vegan Comfort Food...we tried out the Egg "MacGuffin" this weekend and it rocks!! And we just acquired our own copy of Cooking With Seitan, we have not tried it yet but are stoked, it's like the seitan bible!

enough blabbering, have a nice sunday eve ladies!

Happy Birthday!!!

I have seen that book vegan comfort food a few times but never picked it up.  I might look at it now though.

#134 of 360 Old 12-13-2010, 04:31 AM

Morning:)  I hope everyone had a good weekend.  It rained here yesterday so much I didn't think it would end.  This morning it is pretty warm though around 45 so I will take this opportunity to clean out the wood stove and tackle the mountain of dishes in the sink! 

Have a great day:)

#135 of 360 Old 12-13-2010, 05:40 AM

Hi Ladies,

Feeling yucky today, I think I ate too much of stuff I shouldn't, plus some post nasal drip. Oh well, I will just take it easy today and try and sneak in a nap.

Thinking of everyone today

#136 of 360 Old 12-13-2010, 06:50 AM

Quote:

I know gas/intestinal issues are at least a big part of her problem. Thanks for the ideas and empathy.  (I wrote a long post yesterday responding to ideas, then she hit the power button, argh.) Let's see: DD is 12months. She's dairy allergic and bf'ing. I have to admit I haven't been as strictly dairy-free as I should. Previously she didn't have symptoms if I had an occassionally cheese slice.  I am not currently gluten-free but hapowing any signs she had during her last ear infection, but she's teething a bit.  ve had sensitivity problems in the past and done elimination diets.  For the last few days we've allowed no solid food after 6 pm except soy yogurt or homemade applesauce. She nurses or drinks hemp milk.  Today she snubbed food.  She isn't liking tummy massage, but we do some. She likes really warm hands on her tummy.  She also likes when I rocke her belly side-to-side or if I put my hand under her bottom and rock her pelvis up & down.  She has been unhappy sleeping on her tummy, unless she is sleeping in me or on a pillow.  The last few days she's has diarrhea and really explosive "sharts," but she's also had normal poop, all in the same day. She gone though from 1 poop per day to 4 or 5 though.  She has almost so discomfort except  5 pm - 6 am.  I can't take time off this week, so I can't get her to the ND until 12/21.

if you can, get some homeopathic cell salts - specifically Magnesia Phosphorica 6X.  if she does a sippy cup with water, put 4-6 tablets in the bottle and let her nurse the bottle as she wishes over the course of the day. (if she's experiencing teething pain, this will help with that as well). do it for one day, then stop and see if she reverts back or if you've shifted her trajectory.

if you can't get to the store, but if you do have homeopathic pulsatilla 30C, you might try one dose then wait and see.  they don't call it the wind flower for nothing ;)  

if you don't have easy access to homeopathics, you might try adding epsom salts to her bath.  a lot of epsom salts - like 1 or 2 cups of the stuff - the water should "taste" soft.  it might help to relieve the cramping that goes along with gas pains.  ds used to even drink the water (blech) but as long as he hadn't pee'd in it, i usually didn't object.

#137 of 360 Old 12-13-2010, 07:02 AM

if the wind hadn't rolled in last night, we'd be digging out from some snow.  but... the blustery wind blew a lot of it away.  chilly nippy almost-sunny weather here.  nice and quiet on campus (classes have ended) so it is easy to find a parking spot.

have a lovely day!

#138 of 360 Old 12-13-2010, 07:13 AM

Hugs DOK... thinking of you!

NewMoon- Happy Birthday!

Maia- I LURV you!  Your card (and proto-yummies) came at the perfect moment.  We're going to have them on Solstice.  :)

Cards- will be going out today or tomorrow.  Sorry they're so late, but they should reach people by Solstice!

Holiday stuff- the local green burial site did their "take a tree for free" thing again this year (green burial.. no boxes/no chemicals, and they let people remove invasive/non-native plants for free).  So our tree is a little bit "rugged" looking but I actually like the slightly wild look.  And it's really pretty perfect.  :)  Of course, Tor has already eaten a few dried orange slices and pulled some felt ornaments off the tree (falling over backwards in the process and shaking the tree) so I feel justified in our decision to use only rugged ornaments this year.  LOL  So we have felt dolls, felt totoros, homemade paper stars (junk mail, chopped up, blendered, dried with strips of orange peel in it), some straw ornaments from IKEA, orange slices, and some of the smaller wooden ornaments from the past.  The more delicate snowflake and star ornaments are hanging on the light fixtures and from the doorways, and the stockings (FINISHED!  HUZZAH!) are hanging from a ribbon on the wall.  It looks nice I think.  :)

Weather- we had freezing rain and sleet all day yesterday (and no internet signal as a result) and the 6-8 inches of snow washed away.  Today it's snowing again so it's actually nice... I was able to clean off the stoop (covered in ice and frozden leaves and ick) and now it's snowing so it looks pretty too.  I'm using some of the pine branches we cut off the tree to make Lucia's Day crowns and some to make a little "Mother Shrine" on the stoop.

Any ideas how to make Tor stop drinking the rabbit's water?  Sigh.  He's a nut!

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#139 of 360 Old 12-13-2010, 07:22 AM

catching up on my blog reading.... here's a lovely idea for whenever you have quiet time: http://divinenourishment.net/blog/2010/12/encounter-with-the-sea-goddess/

#140 of 360 Old 12-13-2010, 07:26 AM

Happy Birthday NewMoonMum!  I hope you had a wonderful day and enjoy your birthday week!

I'm re-entering the land of the living after being sick since Wed.  Now to catch up with life...and Solstice cards. hide.gif

dust.gifloving magick mama to DD(7) flower.gif and DS (5) Bolt.gifLife partner DP blueman.gif  earth.gif )0( treehugger.gif
#141 of 360 Old 12-13-2010, 08:10 AM

Hi all, Sorry that I've been MIA. It's the end of the semester, and thankfully all I need to do is grade and go to a meeting on Wednesday. Then I am done. Hoorah!

DD is sick: ear infection and vomiting. She started throwing up after I gave her a first dose of antibiotics, but there's a stomach bug going around too, so I don't know if it's a reaction or something else. DH is also sick with some sort of pelvic infection of unknown cause. The same thing happened to me years ago, and of course they assume it's an STD. No and no. I'm just so tired! And lonely. We were supposed to have a gathering this past weekend, and instead I was basically by myself as they were sleeping. I was so bummed, and there wasn't much I could do.

I got Maia's card! Yay! Mine will be going out shortly. Time is flying by way too fast!

Come ponder with me about food!
#142 of 360 Old 12-13-2010, 09:16 AM

Good Morning Ladies!  Just a quick drive by this morning, to say hello and catch up on lots of posts. Phew!

Hope everyone is having a wonderful Monday morning - its freezing cold here (i.e. 6 degrees!) and figuring out ways to stay warmer in the house without raising the temps too much.

treehugger.gifAnd you who seek to know Me, know that the seeking and yearning will avail you not, unless you know the Mystery: for if that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without.treehugger.gif

#143 of 360 Old 12-13-2010, 10:41 AM

Hi all!

I'm still working on my cards...

My mom's funeral behind me, I'm putting my focus on the Solstice and trying to get into the Spirit of the Season...

I had ambitious plans (baking, crafting, decorating, hosting...) and I've erased most of them... I just want to have a few special treats that my mom loved (and her mom before her): nougat, marzipan, cream puff... But I'll try to find all of this already made... Same with cookies... Though I think I'll buy what we need and let the kids make the no-bake Peanut Butter~Chocolate cookies we had last year.

Valérie   
#144 of 360 Old 12-13-2010, 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewMoonMum View PostIt's my birthday, and I keep forgetting that. My dad, bro and sis did a combo birthday/Yule/Hanukkah gift and got me a Wii!

And we just acquired our own copy of Cooking With Seitan, we have not tried it yet but are stoked, it's like the seitan bible!

Happy Birthday! birthday.gif My mom's was yesterday, too (she was 74) and M's is today luxlove.gif (he is 54). My mom is 20 years and 1 day older than M, exactly! bigeyes.gif How weird is that?

Cooking with Seitan ROTFLMAO.gif  Did you know there really is a Satanist Bible? Which is why I'm laughing so hard but I'm sure the authors knew that!

Quote:

Originally Posted by wombatclay View PostMaia- I LURV you!  Your card (and proto-yummies) came at the perfect moment.  We're going to have them on Solstice.  :)

so I feel justified in our decision to use only rugged ornaments this year. 

You're welcome! orngbiggrin.gif I originally planned for this huge box, because things here are SO cheap, but then I realized the postage would be hugely prohibitive greensad.gif Well, know that the thought was there!

Rugged ornaments-- lurve them. Prefer them, actually. If you want me to try to describe how to bolt a tree to a wall with wire hangers, I can try. It's easier to demonstrate-- do you have web cam? Maybe I can show you. But if not, I will try to describe. I had a small toddler AND a cat years ago and you know how much a Yule tree is a play-toy for both lol.gif  I'll never forget the year ds was not quite two, and I'd given him a box of old cassette tapes to tear up. I'd walked into the living room to find him "decorating" the bottom half of the tree with cassette tape biglaugh.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by witchygrrl View PostI got Maia's card! Yay! Mine will be going out shortly. Time is flying by way too fast!

You're welcome! Kinda weird addressing it to "Witchygrrl" though-- I didn't have a real name. Is that OK? Hope your LO feels better soon. Better now than during the high holidays, though, I say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie.Qc View PostMy mom's funeral behind me, I'm putting my focus on the Solstice and trying to get into the Spirit of the Season...

I had ambitious plans (baking, crafting, decorating, hosting...) and I've erased most of them... I just want to have a few special treats that my mom loved (and her mom before her): nougat, marzipan, cream puff... But I'll try to find all of this already made... Same with cookies... Though I think I'll buy what we need and let the kids make the no-bake Peanut Butter~Chocolate cookies we had last year.

I think that's a fabulous idea to honor her, Valerie. It's alright if it's ready-made. Some year you can get more ambitious and do them all homemade, but for now, I'd say it's all about ease and peace, and it's also the intent that counts hug2.gif

Dental surgery in 45 minutes cold.gif (that's me being scared). Steroid taken: check. Abx taken: check. Prophylactic ibuprofen taken: check. I have a script for Vicoden but I'm trying not to have to do that. If I can get through an emergency C-section on ibuprofen, surely I can get through this fingersx.gif

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

#145 of 360 Old 12-13-2010, 12:45 PM

Nice to see your post Valérie.  I've been thinking about you.  And everyone else! Not going to read back too far, just going to do my post.  Hope all who are ill are feeling better by the time they read this, and that everyone has a pleasant break to look forward to.

Clay, hope you're feeling better on your new regime.  Every time I see that Mother Holle solstice calendar in your profile pic, I smile.  I have to save up and put an order in for one next year.  We had toddlers tearing up the tree last year, too -- this year they are much more respectful of it.

My sister and I are trying to get my aunt and cousin, who always spent Christmas with my Grandma, up to visit us for the Christmas weekend this year.  Crossing my fingers that the logistics work out.  It would be lovely to have them.

Got all my cards for US and abroad sent off a while back, still working on my more local cards. My kids thrifted a sturdy wooden doll cradle for a couple bucks this past weekend.  I helped them sand and paint it, and will set them up to sew bedding in it next week, for a gift for their little cousin.  I love this, hope it becomes an advent tradition.  A weekend of helping the kids in planning/gathering supplies for gifts, a weekend of painting/gluing and a weekend of sewing/needlework.

I am still recovering from my surgery - did I post about that?  Lost a significant amount of an older bone graft in my upper jaw to the infection, unfortunately.  Now I have to keep my mouth and nose extra clean, and take care of myself and hope to save the rest of it. No cosmetic changes, thus far, but it is probably going to impact my teeth and dental work.  Swelling is still going down so it is too soon to tell how it will settle out.  I'm down to taking painkillers once or twice some days, not needing them others.  Today, every step I take feels like it jars the roots of my teeth, so I broke out the codeine again.   And I've swapped spots in the family bed with dh after ds2 kicked me in the cheek while sleeping (ow!) . Oh, and dh left his job, will not start a new one till January, so we are doing Christmas without him having an income for a month.  It is just lovely having him around though.  I'm making him go work out every morning with his BIL - he needs to be taking better care of his health for sure.

Got an extension on my coursework so it feels like I'm on vacation already -- can't let it slide or I'll be doing it all on New Year's weekend!

We've had temps in the minus teens and twenties Celcius, and endless light snow.  Today the temps are back up close to freezing and the sun is out.  Have to see if I can get out with the kids for a bit after nap. The painkiller will probably cover the cold-ache-in-the-wound feeling well enough.

#146 of 360 Old 12-13-2010, 12:58 PM

Quote:

It's my birthday

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!  Okami sounds fabulous.  Going to go look it up.

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

#147 of 360 Old 12-13-2010, 01:37 PM

birthday.gif HAPPY BIRTHDAY NEWMOONMUMbirthday.gif

Quote:

It's my birthday, and I keep forgetting that. My dad, bro and sis did a combo birthday/Yule/Hanukkah gift and got me a Wii! Plus my bro sent a copy of the game Okami...if a painting were a game, it would be Okami, it is so drool-worthy!  Then I used some b-day cash to get Lego Harry Potter.orngbiggrin.gif

treehugger.gifAnd you who seek to know Me, know that the seeking and yearning will avail you not, unless you know the Mystery: for if that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without.treehugger.gif

#148 of 360 Old 12-13-2010, 02:57 PM

i am so not motivated! i woke up this morning freaking that i wont get stuff done in time, and, so, of course, i've been stalling all day.... lol!

hugs and vibes to all with ickies/procedures/impending testing/recovering (& those with sick littles!)

yay for birthdays, promising doc visits, happy memory holiday traditions (esp store bought ones that allow for more relaxing! ;-), good time with family, new traditions, old traditions, trees with non-breakables, and so on!

ds and dh tidied the house while i was out swimming, so i can see my floor! squee! i decided i will clean ONCE before the holidays-- next monday. lol. so i'm giving myself the week "off" cleaning. 

right. and i'm doing that so i can finish my sewing. which i am so not working on right now. ha! sigh.............

hugs and sunshine to all....

xoxoxox

#149 of 360 Old 12-13-2010, 05:05 PM

Sorry I've been MIA for a bit. Its been a crazy few weeks. But now I'm here because I want to share with you my weekend. I met Margot Adler, and spent the weekend with her and many other amazing women. I am still on a total high from my weekend. I got to not only meet MARGOT ADLER...but she even let me french braid her hair TWICE and honored me by wearing my circlet during the ritual! We had a Solstice women's weekend in CT. We spent the weekend in song, meditation, light, sisterhood and ritual. Margot is so awesome! She bears this incredible energy in her, one of motherly love and comfort. I was very anxious going into the weekend and kept having panic attacks. Saturday morning we did an exercise and we broke off into little groups to work on it. I had a breakdown and walked away, crying. My dear friend, who brought me this weekend, went and asked one of the priestesses (Margot being one, Eclipse the other) to come and help. Margot came to me and she knew what was wrong without me saying anything. She understood and she told me it was going to be ok and then gave me the best hug ever! After she returned to her group, I was able to finish the exercise and the weekend. We found our bigger selves, the selves that are most happy and content and we worked to bring that self into our future. It was an amazing weekend and I am so full of love, light and joy, that I can't even begin to express!

In other news, after bringing my dear friend back home from solstice, I went to visit an old friend in the hospital. I knew that bringing my signed copy of Margot's book would cheer my friend. Well while I was sitting there chatting, I suddenly got dizzy and the next thing I knew I was waking up on the floor, surrounded by nurses. I had collapsed and blacked out while trying to lie myself down. They wound up putting me on a stretcher and taking me down to the ER. What a way to end my weekend! I spent today mostly in bed. My friend called it being "chi drained". I don't know. I feel charged up spiritually, but physically drained!

bellycast.gifI am the Goddess, I am the Mother, all acts of love and pleasure are my rituals.dust.gif
#150 of 360 Old 12-13-2010, 05:49 PM

trying to convince myself to buy Fern Knight's newest album with my b-day cash...you all heard it?

It's tarot-themed, so fantastic...drool.gif and thanks for the birthday wishes! 32 is fine so far.

Aubergine-that sounds terrible! Try to stay well!!hug2.gif

sunshine-too rockin! but eww, blacking out is so not fun.

Maia-how'd surgery go?? I have to have gum surgery within a few years....surgery of any kind terrifies me.hug2.gif

valerie-love and light, and lots of hugs hon.candle.gif

witchy-how is everybody??

having replied to a post earlier about how much face time you spend with your LO...I am concerned that I need to try harder to show DS that we can be in the same room, doing our own thing. I am pretty much constantly playing with him, talking with him, etc. He is great at playing alone when he's in his quiet time, but I probably need to demonstrate that my universe does not always revolve around him....it's been about 3 minutes and I'm already feeling so guilty!!greensad.gif Any pointers? 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page