~*~ December Pagan Families Chat~*~ It's Yule/Midsummer!!!!! - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-16-2010, 12:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Well, the month is almost over so I probably won't be able to go back and read the previous posts, but maybe I can jump in here.  

I've never celebrated Yule before, but would like to do something this year. Not sure where to start.

treehugger.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2010, 04:32 AM

Ok, my lovelies! Maybe you mamas will have some advice for me on coming out of the "broom closet" before ready. I am calming down a bit, but still freaking out. My mom figured it out! She went through the computer I use at work and researched everything on my facebook. She looked up Margot Adler and she knows that I am a pagan/witch. EEEEEEKKKK!!!!!!! She hasn't talked to me yet, but confronted my cousin about it before I got here yesterday. She knows that my bff is one too. She was going to confront me when I got here, but my cousin convinced her to wait and think hard on it first. That's really probably worse for me. I GUARANTEE she went home and freaked out to my dad about it. Who knows what she will tell my sisters! Will they even be allowed near me alone??? Yeah, this week, way too much happened already! EEEEKKKKKKK!!!!!!

bellycast.gifI am the Goddess, I am the Mother, all acts of love and pleasure are my rituals.dust.gif
Old 12-16-2010, 06:56 AM

Hang in there Cari... I'm hoping SOMEONE there cmoes through for you.  And yes on the temp thing... I've described it as sort of like swimming.  Once you can't touch the bottom it really doesn't matter "how" deep the water it, you're still in over your head!  When we were visiting Fairbanks the temps were in the -10 to -15 range without windchill but it really didn't "feel" any colder than home.  Then again, Fairbanks is a very dry cold and we weren't really out and about in it.  Everything seems to be focused on getting from one heated spot to another, and the houses were all kept in the 70-80 degree range.  LOL  I actually was overheated (at 7.5 months pregnant) and sweaty much of the time.  But... I still can't imagine spending time outside in that sort of weather.  Ouch!

Speaking of... how are our northern gals doing?  All fingers. toes, and bits accounted for?

Welcome Jade's Mom!  :)  What sort of things do you have in mind for Yule?  We open a Yule calendar (my avatar picture... one ray each day so by solstice the sun has been reborn), decorate a tree, hang stockings for Mother Holle to fill, and usually have a special meal.  This year the budget is tight so the meal will be a bit less "flashy" but we'll still make it special.  And we do have a simple family ritual... giving offerings to the various kindreds (we're an ADF family, so a modern druid group that honors the "three kindreds"- spirits of nature/place, the ancestors, and the shining ones/gods).  We'll throw bird seed and shiny silver beads out in our woods for the animals and local spirits, share stories of family members and sing favorite carols to remember our ancestors, and place a portion of our meal outside (on our offering stone) along with other offerings for the shining ones (Mother Holle mostly, this time of year).

Sweetsunshine- yoicks!  What is your relationship with your mom usually like?  And what are your living arrangements?  Both can have a big impact on how an "outing" can go.  My own mom is a member of a very conservative branch of the Catholic Church and, honestly, I didn't formally out myself to her till I was moved out, married, and a mother of two.  And at that it caused a rift that took over a year to bridge.  But my DH just kind of told his mom and she was fine.  So a lot depends on the people/situation.

Maybe find a few resources you can give her that would resonate with her own spirituality?  So you can frame it in language she is familiar with?  Some of that will depend on your own path, but often there are similarities to be found.  Hmmm... one of the books by Skip Ellison (a former arch0druid with ADF) has a chapter on "telling family".  I can go see if it has any ideas...

Good luck!

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

Old 12-16-2010, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeress View Post

Ok Ladies, I know I could make my own tinctures but I know I won't get to it anytime soon, so where do you get your tinctures? Mountain Rose Herbs looks great but the shipping is killing. Anywhwere else?

Local Co-Op. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aweynsayl View Post

also, any suggestions for meat/cheese/veg combos yummy in quiche? i'm wanting something new......... (we eat rather a lot of eggs in this house, lol......)

happy almost wednesday to all.

xoxoxox

Too bad we don't live closer I have tons of eggs!!  8 doz sitting on my counter as I type.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetsunshine85 View Post

Ok, my lovelies! Maybe you mamas will have some advice for me on coming out of the "broom closet" before ready. I am calming down a bit, but still freaking out. My mom figured it out! She went through the computer I use at work and researched everything on my facebook. She looked up Margot Adler and she knows that I am a pagan/witch. EEEEEEKKKK!!!!!!! She hasn't talked to me yet, but confronted my cousin about it before I got here yesterday. She knows that my bff is one too. She was going to confront me when I got here, but my cousin convinced her to wait and think hard on it first. That's really probably worse for me. I GUARANTEE she went home and freaked out to my dad about it. Who knows what she will tell my sisters! Will they even be allowed near me alone??? Yeah, this week, way too much happened already! EEEEKKKKKKK!!!!!!

I just came out of the broom closet this past year, maybe the one before?? to a few friends/family, the reactions were interesting.  My good friend just said she loved me no matter what, didn't change a thing.  My family took it the hardest.  My brother called me a demon, my Father pretends the conversation never happened and they both quote the bible a lot more to me.  I don't live near any of my family so I don't have to deal with them on a daily basis.  I think because they are not very open to it, me being Pagan or being anything that isn't what they are, what they believe makes it difficult to talk about.  It is getting a bit better with my brother who will sometimes try to have a open discussion now but in the beginning they all felt like they had to save me? 

I wish you luck and hope that all in your life are open and understanding if you choose to come out.

I wanted to add your weekend in CT sounded wonderful!

earth.gif lovin, treehugger.gif  veggie

Old 12-16-2010, 07:26 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiasaura View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluets View Postlow carb and chocolate: look for a flourless chocolate cake recipe.  then cut the sugar or replace sugar with stevia.  it should have 1-2 Tbsp of flour, the rest is butter, eggs (lots of 'em) and chocolate (cocoa, melted chocolate).  i usually use either almond flour or coconut flour so that ups the protein and fiber content but not the carbs.  i think this is going to be my birthday cake next month.  with ice cream.

more low carb and chocolate.  what about semi-sweet chocolate chips, cocoa powder, butter/coconut milk to make a chocolate fondue.  then dunk low carb fruits into it.  or just go watch the movie "Chocolat" to get more ideas :)  didn't they dunk turkey into chocolate?  (seriously, turkey chocolate mole is divine)

Turkey with chocolate? Um...EWWWWWWWW puke.gif

But the rest sounds awesome. No semi-sweet, as they contain sugar. Not doing sugar-- or not much. I did try regular whole-berry canned cran sauce at Thanksgiving and it didn't have too much of an impact, but I have to be pretty vigilant. Haven't done any flour, either.

Got recipe, though? For your birthday cake idea? I am all about lots of butter, eggs, and sugarless chocolate (cocoa maybe? I have powdered cocoa). I have coconut flour. NOM!! Oh, and I can use coconut milk, too, if it's just coconut milk, sans sugar.

what?  this (http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/braised-chicken-with-oaxacan-chocolate-mole-sauce) doesn't sound tasty? (meh - just sub turkey in there for the chicken)

a sample cake recipe (there are lots to choose in this flourless-chocolate realm): http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/2007/01/flourless-chocolate-cake_11.html

(but she always has her stuff way way way too sweet for my liking so i always add sugar last)

we're getting the tail end of a "wintry mix"  - around here, that's a euphemism for "fluffy snow - wet snow - sleet - freezing rain" all in a short time period.  ds decided that he wanted the 2 hour delay to become a "school is closed" day.  shockingly, i agreed - one of those "did i just hear myself say that?" moments.  i haven't used up even half of my vacation days for the year, and i'm just so done with work.

time to go play outside for a bit.

Jennifer, Naturopath and mom

Old 12-16-2010, 07:27 AM

Morning all.  I can't believe how much time has gone by since I was here.  The last few weeks i have just been in a quiet even lazy mood.  It has been cold here, the kind of cold you don't want to go out in, so it's been difficult to muster up the energy to get out.  I started a diet almost 2 weeks ago and I am not liking it!!!  I have to buckle down though, the older I get the harder it is to get this weight off. 

I have been thinking about you all,  Val how are you doing?  Aubergine, how are you?  I hope you are well.

I hope everyone is well, hugs to those who need it. 

I am going to try to keep up, get back in the swing of things.

Have a great day:)

Old 12-16-2010, 08:38 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Thanks for asking, redveg.  love.gif  I'm doing fine.

Welcome, Jades Mom!  

I think the snow has stopped, and we're shoveling out from a big storm.  Hooray for the santa who sent snow tires, Clay!  That is some gift!!! What a difference that could make!

I want to talk about Yule and broom closets and FEs and chocolate cake but I don't know how much time I have atm, may have to come back later.

I posted a few months back about a little boy, child of a friend I've known most of my life, who was facing a stage 4 cancer.  Well, it is not going well for him :(  My first thought going to sleep and my first thought waking up is for him and his family -- he is 5, just in between my own younger and older boys in age, so, well -- you can imagine me thinking of a little one so ill when he should be running around laughing with my kids mecry.gif.  His mom told me yesterday that it brings her great comfort to know that there are people all over the world keeping Cole in their thoughts and prayers and so I'd like to ask for you all to remember him and think good thoughts/send good vibes for health and peace in the way that is appropriate for you.

And extra love on your own babes for me.  I've been thinking a lot about how health, and having the comfortable expectation as a parent that your children will live to leave their teeth under their pillow for the tooth fairy, are gifts beyond price. 

Old 12-16-2010, 10:07 AM

oh, i cant believe it.i had awhole long post typed out, and my computer did an automatic restart, and i lost it! gah!!!! i'll try and come back and post it all again..................................... 

Old 12-16-2010, 11:41 AM

For little Cole candle.gifgrouphug.gifpraying.gif

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

Old 12-16-2010, 12:02 PM

Hi all, 

It's been a long, long while since I posted and I was never a frequent poster to begin with!.  As I typically do this time of year, I'm really feeling the pull towards introspection & connection to Mother Spirit & reconnection to faith which usually leads me to back to this forum.  Anyhoo, I just wanted to say hi and that I appreciate reading everyone's posts (even if I'm mostly a lurker!)

smile.gif

Mama to an angel boy and a pixie girl
Old 12-16-2010, 12:54 PM

ok, take two..... :-)

aubergine, i remember your telling us about him. he will be in my heart this season. <hugs to him and his family>

yay, wanting to talk about FEs. i need an alert program, so i can come running when you do! ;-) 

maia, i'd come help any of you i could drive to! i wish i could transport to each of you as needed... bringing fairy dust, coffee, sunshine, roses.... it's my "dream job," really. you're all my circle! a REALLLLLLLY BIG circle, lol.... :-) the chance to bring FEs & coffee to mo3 makes me glow. :-)

i think cari's news got better...but she couldnt post. hopefully she'll be able to today! 

beginner yule... we had a conversation or even a thread about this awhile back... there have probably been several! one thing i remember was a sort of simplified feel-it-out celebration.... light a bunch of candles (and turn off all electric lights), simple dinner ("solstice soup"), maybe a craft (like drying orange slices and add them to the tree), some yuletide stories (maia has a great short one she sent in cards one year! maybe she would PM it to you....), and maybe some family chat about how to incorporate more pagan-ness in the coming year. last year we talked about a 12-moons meditation for the 12 days (i had planned to do mine 12 days following yule... this year, with the power of the lunar aspects on solstice, might be a good thing to try again!)... basically, each night meditate/ritual/dream/etc... for each of the 12 months of the coming year. :-)

and then, there's camp............. i cant help it. i keep thinking about camp. i really want a "make-your-own-tarot-camp".....................

accidental outing ~ oops! hugs, hon. the idea of finding resonance is a great one. i almost wonder if there arent websites with tips? "my daughter's a witch, now what?" kinds of things.... i feel like i've seen stuff like that in my years of internet searches..... and, keep us posted, if you need support!

CC~ <waves> i lurve your "location". :-)

oops, gotta go! sending hugs and sunshine to all! (though, i have none today! we're supposed to get rain! squeee!)

xoxoxo

Old 12-16-2010, 01:24 PM

Quote:

CC~ <waves> i lurve your "location". :-)

Thanks!  I lurve it, too!!  :)

Mama to an angel boy and a pixie girl
Old 12-16-2010, 01:43 PM

treehugger.gif

candle.gif for Cole.

I'm doing okay. Lots of ups and downs... lots of mixed emotions... lots of burst into tear, laugh, rage... People around me are in for a ride... redface.gif

Cold: DH and the kids are out playing in the snow and having skidoo rides in the yard...cold.gif  I get to stay inside to watch the fireplace and the simmering soup. orngtongue.gif

Valérie   
Old 12-16-2010, 03:38 PM

hugs, val! i know you have a FE blend, but have you seen this one? xoxoxoxox

i forgot to re-add eggs to my post--- redveg, i so wish i could have some of your eggs! dh ate almost an entire quiche yesterday and today. i had two pieces (dinner and breakfast)... he had the rest! ds will eat two eggs every day if we have them. i know i "should" have chickens, but i'm still freaked by the loss of my childhood chickens to coyotes, mere blocks from our new house. i'll get over it eventually, i'm sure. when ds decides he's ready for school, he'll go to my childhood school, and they have chickens there. i dont know if i'll be able to resist.... just need some serious anti-coyote protections....

huge news ladies-- it's cold and wet out! it's beautiful! feels like "real" winter! squeeeeeeeeeeeee! (thought of you in the pool, aubergine... it was misty and magical!)

Old 12-16-2010, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aubergine68 View Post

I posted a few months back about a little boy, child of a friend I've known most of my life, who was facing a stage 4 cancer.  Well, it is not going well for him :(  My first thought going to sleep and my first thought waking up is for him and his family -- he is 5, just in between my own younger and older boys in age, so, well -- you can imagine me thinking of a little one so ill when he should be running around laughing with my kids mecry.gif.  His mom told me yesterday that it brings her great comfort to know that there are people all over the world keeping Cole in their thoughts and prayers and so I'd like to ask for you all to remember him and think good thoughts/send good vibes for health and peace in the way that is appropriate for you. 

thinking of him and his family. grouphug.gifpraying.gif

Me,DH,DS1'95, '98,DSD'03,DD1'07,DD2'09,DS2'12 Living with Fructose Malabsorption Syndrome and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome Type 3-Hypermobility.)o( and sometimes I get toif I am lucky.
Old 12-16-2010, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CariOfOz View PostI'm pretty sure I can kiss the job I interviewed for away  :( 

Gawd, I hope not, after all that effort. There's got to be someone who can vouch for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaofthree View Postso i am planning a family meeting for tomorrow so i can talk to the big kids and dh about what i need as far as help around here. and i need to have a heart to heart with dh. i think he is totally ok with giving the kids all the chores, but i feel like they need an example of team work, not just mom does everything and then it gets dumped on them. plus dh has been really sorta lazy about doing much of anything. so i think we need to talk about this, it wasn't always this way.

also i did find out some good news/something sweet dh is doing. lol he has been looking up homebirth stuff. i really have thought that this pregnancy he just hasn't been very interested, but he looked up what to do in case of a breech, and a few other things. he is going to go buy chux and a bulb suction. lol it makes me happy that he is actually doing something. <3

Well it sounds like if he's willing to do research on homebirth, he's not a total slacker. I hope he mans up and helps in ways you need help, though, and the kids, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jade's Mom View PostWell, the month is almost over so I probably won't be able to go back and read the previous posts, but maybe I can jump in here. 

I've never celebrated Yule before, but would like to do something this year. Not sure where to start.

Welcome back! (Back? I think you were here before?)

I think I posted aways back about how we do Yule here. We get up before Sunrise and when the Sun first peeks out over the horizon, we toast Him with Sun Bread (go to Amazon.com and check out Elisa Kleven's book; there's a recipe on the back but we've made various recipes, including once we used dinner rolls in a pinch) and sparkling cider, leaving libations of cider on the ground. I'll put birdseed on the grocery list (thanks, Clay, for the idea-- was that you?) also. And we have a Feast later with the good crystal goblets, and Sunny sorts of foods (golden raisins, oranges).

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetsunshine85 View PostOk, my lovelies! Maybe you mamas will have some advice for me on coming out of the "broom closet" before ready. I am calming down a bit, but still freaking out. My mom figured it out! She went through the computer I use at work and researched everything on my facebook. She looked up Margot Adler and she knows that I am a pagan/witch. EEEEEEKKKK!!!!!!! She hasn't talked to me yet, but confronted my cousin about it before I got here yesterday. She knows that my bff is one too. She was going to confront me when I got here, but my cousin convinced her to wait and think hard on it first. That's really probably worse for me. I GUARANTEE she went home and freaked out to my dad about it. Who knows what she will tell my sisters! Will they even be allowed near me alone??? Yeah, this week, way too much happened already! EEEEKKKKKKK!!!!!!

Oh, no. I'm not so worried about how you will explain yourself (that will happen, and more than likely dominate the convo on here, so I won't address it yet) inasmuch as I am freaked about her betrayal of you by going behind your back into private areas, to "research" you. That's pretty well Not-OK in my book. I'd be uber-pissed. She deserves no explanation IMO until she explains her behavior.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluets ds decided that he wanted the 2 hour delay to become a "school is closed" day.  shockingly, i agreed - one of those "did i just hear myself say that?" moments.  

Nope, that did not even look tempting.

As for your "shocking" reply, LOL, around here I call that "bending the rules". I make sure never to say "break", but "bend", and it's a rare thing-- I like to keep ds on his toes and also I like him to know that I'm not always that rigid.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aubergine68 View PostI've been thinking a lot about how health, and having the comfortable expectation as a parent that your children will live to leave their teeth under their pillow for the tooth fairy, are gifts beyond price. 

Ain't that the truth. Will go love on my boy (who's been obnoxious tonight) and keep Cole in my thoughts, as well as his family.

Quote:

Originally Posted by aweynsayl View Posti almost wonder if there arent websites with tips? "my daughter's a witch, now what?" kinds of things.... i feel like i've seen stuff like that in my years of internet searches.....

There IS a book!! I can't remember what it's called, but something very similar to what you said. Which is why I imagine it triggered the memory, LOL...go type that into Google or Amazon maybe you'll come up with it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie.Qc View PostI'm doing okay. Lots of ups and downs... lots of mixed emotions... lots of burst into tear, laugh, rage... People around me are in for a ride... redface.gif

Valerie, it's going to be like that for a good while. It was like that for me when my Dad died. It lessens, it really does, but it takes awhile. Be gentle with yourself, K?

M's phone is back on joy.gif I guess he had the money after all. Or finagled his finances somehow. But yay!

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

Old 12-16-2010, 06:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaofthree View Post

so i am planning a family meeting for tomorrow so i can talk to the big kids and dh about what i need as far as help around here. and i need to have a heart to heart with dh. i think he is totally ok with giving the kids all the chores, but i feel like they need an example of team work, not just mom does everything and then it gets dumped on them. plus dh has been really sorta lazy about doing much of anything. so i think we need to talk about this, it wasn't always this way.

also i did find out some good news/something sweet dh is doing. lol he has been looking up homebirth stuff. i really have thought that this pregnancy he just hasn't been very interested, but he looked up what to do in case of a breech, and a few other things. he is going to go buy chux and a bulb suction. lol it makes me happy that he is actually doing something. <3

i guess that is all for now. 

awey: i sent you a PM. :)

h

I think that is a very good idea, because my ex grew up with his mothing doing EVERYTHING and that's what he expected ME to do LOL.  Needless to say he was sorely disappointed!  I totally agree that seeing you two as a TEAM is a great thing for the kids.  I'm glad he's taking an interest in the upcoming birth huN!  Were any of your others homebirths??? I haven't had any homebirths, but had a couple that weren't far off it lol

Quote:

So your mother went 'digging' through your computer at work, and rifling through everything on facebook you've posted and has basically been very nosy... and you're worried about how YOU will handle it? lol  I think her idea of 'confronting' you is preposterous and rude... what on earth does she think that is going to do?   When she does bring the subject up, my suggestion would be to say Mom I've been pagan for a reasonably long time now... nothing has changed since then, I am still the same person you knew before.  If you trusted me and thought I was a good person before, there is no reason for you not to now! 

I do have to say though, that if I had a family member 'confront' me I'd give em an earful lol  and inform them that next time why not just ASK instead of going the nosy biddy route? ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by redveg View Post

Morning all.  I can't believe how much time has gone by since I was here.  The last few weeks i have just been in a quiet even lazy mood.  It has been cold here, the kind of cold you don't want to go out in, so it's been difficult to muster up the energy to get out.  I started a diet almost 2 weeks ago and I am not liking it!!!  I have to buckle down though, the older I get the harder it is to get this weight off. 

Hello hun :)  I can't blame you for not wanting to go out if it's vile outside!  For me, that is totally hibernating at home time cold.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aubergine68 View Post

And extra love on your own babes for me.  I've been thinking a lot about how health, and having the comfortable expectation as a parent that your children will live to leave their teeth under their pillow for the tooth fairy, are gifts beyond price. 

Oh that is so heartbreaking hun :(  I have an almost 5year old and it is just cosmically unfair that something like that should happen!  I will think good thoughts for him, that he & his family get one more happy christmas together.  

Quote:

me glow. :-)

i think cari's news got better...but she couldnt post. hopefully she'll be able to today! 

oops, gotta go! sending hugs and sunshine to all! (though, i have none today! we're supposed to get rain! squeee!)

xoxoxo

Yep it did.. and MDC better not be rude and not allow me to post now!!!   The prospective employer has called me and said they understand in my situation references are hard to come by, so they are happy to accept character references!  *happy dance*  Got a couple of friends I have had psuedo professional experience with writing them now...  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie.Qc View Post

I'm doing okay. Lots of ups and downs... lots of mixed emotions... lots of burst into tear, laugh, rage... People around me are in for a ride... redface.gif

Cold: DH and the kids are out playing in the snow and having skidoo rides in the yard...cold.gif  I get to stay inside to watch the fireplace and the simmering soup. orngtongue.gif

hug.gif  That is what friends & family are for hun... to take the ride with you so you don't have to take it alone.

Off to have coffee and an afternoon of shopping with a friend, and pick up my new sundress from holy clothing :D  (we put an order in together last week :D)    Then I will come home, tidy up a bit, wrap pressies, watch Inception and make nachos for dinner !  Mum has just picked up the boys and carted them all away for a sleepover,  and they don't know it but they are going to get pics with santa etc as well.  Daim & Derrick have a little work to finish today (not much though, the ware house was a bit flooded in our storms last night so no run for them today just leftovers from yesterday) and then they're picking up the boys present from the grandparents (trampoline!) and setting it up this afternoon so they get surprised by it tomorrow.     I have TOTALLY been needing a little break from the boys so I'm gonna make the most of it lol

I wasn't able to post yesterday because just after lunch we hd a major storm roll through and we spent a good 12hrs with no power :S   It sucked trying to sleep without the ceiling fans LOL.  Hope everyone is enjoying the season! 

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
Old 12-16-2010, 08:35 PM

cari: yes the last three were with row being a UC, we are doing that with this little one also.

ok i am getting sorta sick with the emails i get from loving but clueless family members (you know aunts, cousins etc) about how everyone should be OK with people saying merry christmas. now i have NO ISSUE what so ever with someone saying merry christmas to me, i do however have an issue with people getting all bent out of shape for someone saying happy holidays. in the papers you get letters to the editor about how upset they are because some store says happy holidays instead of merry christmas. my aunt just sent an email "i'm sure you have gotten this before, but it is a good reminder of why we celebrate this season the way we do..." and it is some thing joel something (you know the guy who said "bueller, bueller") about how it doesn't bug him and he is jewish and how it isn't in the constitution that we are an athesist country... ugh! like i said i am ok with being told merry christmas i just don't want to be given grief for saying happy holidays. and i am tired to death of people complain about how certain groups of followers of jesus are being bullied and push around because of their faith. really? cuz i sorta see it the other way around. 

so we had a wet and coolish day here in AZ. it was nice. i made cookies and the boys and i went all nuts with the frosting and sprinkles. they crack me up when the decorate a cookie. good lords you could slip into a coma from the sugar! lol then i made some darn good pizza, my crust was rockin'! 

really looking forward to yule dinner. not doing a goose they cost to much so we are doing a ham and the kids want crab cakes so i will be making those and sweet potatoes and cheesy potatoes and something green. lol and then pies! and fudge and cookies. hopefully wi won't have to actually cook until i help with christmas dinner at my moms. WHICH  btw, she asked ME to bring the sweet potatoes. how wild is that? and a couple pies. and she said she was sorry for being so moody. go figure. she is like jekyll and hyde sometimes. 

i FINALLY went out and got some baby clothes. i keep putting it off for some reason. dd and i are going to go to a couple thrift stores so i can get a couple more things for the baby. 

anyway i feel all chatty but sleepy. lol

h

mama to 6 amazing children joy.gif married to my main man for 21 years love.gif and finally home FULL time dishes.gifhang.gifknit.gif

Old 12-17-2010, 03:47 AM

Yes, I've been here before but it's been a while.  I just don't have the time I used to.  

Quote:

beginner yule... we had a conversation or even a thread about this awhile back... there have probably been several! one thing i remember was a sort of simplified feel-it-out celebration.... light a bunch of candles (and turn off all electric lights), simple dinner ("solstice soup"), maybe a craft (like drying orange slices and add them to the tree), some yuletide stories (maia has a great short one she sent in cards one year! maybe she would PM it to you....), and maybe some family chat about how to incorporate more pagan-ness in the coming year. last year we talked about a 12-moons meditation for the 12 days (i had planned to do mine 12 days following yule... this year, with the power of the lunar aspects on solstice, might be a good thing to try again!)... basically, each night meditate/ritual/dream/etc... for each of the 12 months of the coming year. :-)

Can you tell me more?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maiasaura View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jade's Mom View PostWell, the month is almost over so I probably won't be able to go back and read the previous posts, but maybe I can jump in here. 

Welcome back! (Back? I think you were here before?)

I think I posted aways back about how we do Yule here. We get up before Sunrise and when the Sun first peeks out over the horizon, we toast Him with Sun Bread (go to Amazon.com and check out Elisa Kleven's book; there's a recipe on the back but we've made various recipes, including once we used dinner rolls in a pinch) and sparkling cider, leaving libations of cider on the ground. I'll put birdseed on the grocery list (thanks, Clay, for the idea-- was that you?) also. And we have a Feast later with the good crystal goblets, and Sunny sorts of foods (golden raisins, oranges).

Thanks good ideas.

treehugger.gif
Old 12-17-2010, 06:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaofthree View Post

cari: yes the last three were with row being a UC, we are doing that with this little one also.

ok i am getting sorta sick with the emails i get from loving but clueless family members (you know aunts, cousins etc) about how everyone should be OK with people saying merry christmas. now i have NO ISSUE what so ever with someone saying merry christmas to me, i do however have an issue with people getting all bent out of shape for someone saying happy holidays. in the papers you get letters to the editor about how upset they are because some store says happy holidays instead of merry christmas. my aunt just sent an email "i'm sure you have gotten this before, but it is a good reminder of why we celebrate this season the way we do..." and it is some thing joel something (you know the guy who said "bueller, bueller") about how it doesn't bug him and he is jewish and how it isn't in the constitution that we are an athesist country... ugh! like i said i am ok with being told merry christmas i just don't want to be given grief for saying happy holidays. and i am tired to death of people complain about how certain groups of followers of jesus are being bullied and push around because of their faith. really? cuz i sorta see it the other way around. 

so we had a wet and coolish day here in AZ. it was nice. i made cookies and the boys and i went all nuts with the frosting and sprinkles. they crack me up when the decorate a cookie. good lords you could slip into a coma from the sugar! lol then i made some darn good pizza, my crust was rockin'! 

really looking forward to yule dinner. not doing a goose they cost to much so we are doing a ham and the kids want crab cakes so i will be making those and sweet potatoes and cheesy potatoes and something green. lol and then pies! and fudge and cookies. hopefully wi won't have to actually cook until i help with christmas dinner at my moms. WHICH  btw, she asked ME to bring the sweet potatoes. how wild is that? and a couple pies. and she said she was sorry for being so moody. go figure. she is like jekyll and hyde sometimes. 

i FINALLY went out and got some baby clothes. i keep putting it off for some reason. dd and i are going to go to a couple thrift stores so i can get a couple more things for the baby. 

anyway i feel all chatty but sleepy. lol

h

Wow, I'm so impressed with people who UC or homebirth even!  My oldest was a cesarean (he's 22 now) and I am very lucky... my OB with my 2nd son really PUSHED for me to attempt a vbac (this was in 1993, before the recent freak out over the whole thing) and I had a successful vbac with pretty much zero interventions.  After that, I moved to Australia where vbacs are far more common (and I think in a related statement.. so is the use of midwives, hospital based or otherwise ;)  It never even crossed my mind with #s 3, 4 or 5 that it was even remotely possible that I'd have a csection!

Re the happy holidays thing.. I think that everyone should be able to embrace the freedom of speech that the constitution guarantees them (in th eUS of course) and use whatever civil seasonal greeting they choose.  I don't care if someone else says MC to me either... but if I say happy holidays back to them, imo they have zero right to get offended & jacked out of shape.  The constitution protects my right to do just that.  Your aunt, and anyone else who has an issue with a different seasonal greeting needs to, in aussie terms... harden the eff up and stop having a sook about something SO stupid!

And wait... is this your mother.. who FREAKED out and was horrid about you 'tweaking' HER recipe???? and she asked you to bring it????  Did you faint on the spot? lol

And since you will all be waking up and I'll be going to bed lol... my day out was great!  Mum took all 3 little boys, they went to the shops, saw santy and got pics done and just generally are having a grand ole time with her.  She took them for a xmas lights drive, and down by the bay to watch a storm (it was way out over the barrier isles) and even out to the club for dinner.. and they were GOOD!?  (who are these people and what did they do with my kids??? lol)  I picked up my gf and we hit the shops, had lunch and a coffee & chatted, then I tore a path through the craft store that would impress martha stewart LOL... I have put together the art caddy's for the boy and even dh says I've out done myself :D  (of course, he doesn't know exactly how much I spent LOL.. but it will get used  a LOT so it was worth it!)     Daim & Derrick went to see Tron, and I stayed home to wrap gifts and relax... my poor knees are in agony after a day of pounding the pavement in search of goodies for the boys.  DH is going to massage my legs for me WOOT... hopefully it'll help me sleep because ibu has done nothing :(

Have a spectacular day mamas!

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
Old 12-17-2010, 06:53 AM

Cari/Mamaofthree- I see posts, comments like that all the time. If someone says Merry Christmas to me I generally reply to them- Merry Christmas. I figure that if they say it, they probably celebrate it, so might as well wish them the thing they celebrate. At church, instead of saying "amen", I say blessed be. Our minister will also say blessed be, as well as amen.

Actually, I think I generally say- Merry Christmas since it is such a seculiar thing at times.

I am getting excited for Yule. The kids will get a small gift from me/Chris, which I still need to make. Better get to work on that. We are having soup/bread/salad and reading books and hopefully an evening walk by candlelight but weather will determine the last part. I might make ice candles, wich are basically a tea light place in water when it is partially frozen. If I make enough we will walk a spiral.

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

Old 12-17-2010, 07:16 AM

Morning all:) 

Merry Christmas, doesn't bother me.  Neither does happy Holidays.  I figure if someone is saying them to me they are just trying to be nice, spread some joy and hey I'll take it!  I will say that during the season  everyone says Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays to you assuming you celebrate it, but not one person has ever said Happy Hanukkah to me ever. 

I am so happy it's Friday.  I wish the kids were off of school for break already.

I hope everyone has a great weekend

Old 12-17-2010, 08:27 AM

Super quick flyby.

Hola Mamas!  Getting ready my first kid-free weekend vacation with DP!  I'll probably sleep the whole time. lol.gif  We're going to host a Soup and Solstice party when we get back.  It will be nice to fill our house with laughter and love.  Hopefully "Grumpusauras" (my nickname I use with the kids for my stressed out self) won't make an appearance during the party preparations.

Thinking of you all and sending love and light to those who'd like a little.

Aubergine~special thoughts of peace and light to you, Cole, his friends and family.  *Big breath* my DS is 5 in Feb.  I can't imagine...so I'll send love~~

dust.gifloving magick mama to DD(7) flower.gif and DS (5) Bolt.gifLife partner DP blueman.gif  earth.gif )0( treehugger.gif
Old 12-17-2010, 09:18 AM

cari: i know right? i couldn't believe she asked me, i even said.. "are you sure" and she said yes. so i am gonna make some good sweet potatoes. lol and yeah on all the shopping and hanging with your gf. :) 

i am so looking forward to the end of this day. dd is off school for two weeks and dh is home for 9 days. :) he can get all his music stuff done by christmas and still have time to hang with us and we can do fun stuff together. :) happy happy! feeling the holiday happiness here today. (maybe it is all the sugar from the cookies! lol)

like i said i don't mind at all being told merry christmas, i just don't like people getting all bent out of shape if they hear happy holidays. and really i don't think the man christmas was named after would give a hoot, i think he would want people not in the stores complaining about not being told merry christmas, but out caring for the less fortunate. LOL stop sending me those blasted emails and go do something for someone else. LOL

i want some one to make me waffles. yum yum

oh and it is amazingly lovely here this morning. foggy, coolish and damp. you don't get that much here in AZ, so it is like a treat. :)

h

mama to 6 amazing children joy.gif married to my main man for 21 years love.gif and finally home FULL time dishes.gifhang.gifknit.gif

Old 12-17-2010, 09:23 AM

argh the new format is frustrating me wrt multi-quotes.  So in a nutshell - 

SweetSunshine - I'm in total agreement with Maia & Cari on this, no need for explaination until an explaination can be had about her behavior to dig in your personal life & realm! phht

Mof3 - I've heard these comments before, and typically just eyesroll.gif but wow I just keep thinking how sad to not be respectful of others with their holidays (like hanukkah, ramadan/eid, solstice, kwanzaa etc)  which may happen during or around this season. I won't get ruffled about it if someone wishes me a Merry Christmas- as like redveg said - its about spreading the cheer! love.gif

FR - Have fun!! and hopefully sleep!! lol.gif

Jade- This is my first solstice and trying to keep it simple, and around a theme in my mind - Sunshine & Snowflakes, and make some crafts around that (paper snowlflakes & paper suns and of course lots of glitter!)  We're going to have a yummy stew/soup for dinner and light 3 candles in honor of Goddess/God/Sun Child and if I can find some cool tales - read those to the kiddos for bed time.

Aubergine - The cruelty of that is making me bawling.gifespecially since my oldest is almost 5. Cancer should not be a childhood disease and it breaks my heart - keeping Cole & his family in my thoughts and prayers this season.

treehugger.gifAnd you who seek to know Me, know that the seeking and yearning will avail you not, unless you know the Mystery: for if that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without.treehugger.gif

Old 12-17-2010, 01:22 PM

DH's health is not good. He's been coughing non-stop, and because of the kind of artwork he does, I feel that he's affected more in the lungs. So we're waiting on x-rays. Add this to the bacterial infection he had, and he's not a healthy man. That is getting better, but now the doctor says he felt a cyst down in his groin, so he has to go to a urologist to check it out. I'm freaked out. He says his body wisdom is telling him he's okay, that it's nothing, and that's great and all, but I'm still scared.

In other news, not only does this solstice have a full moon, but there is a lunar eclipse visible on the East Coast of the US between the 20/21. My best friend is having a baby soon (she was technically due the 16th), but babe is just hanging out. Her aunt just died last week, her grandmother went down to FL to see this aunt (her daughter) one last time and to clean out her place, and any signs of impending labor vanished for my friend. Her grandmother's not ready to come back either, and I really feel that if she did, my friend would go into labor quickly. On the other hand, he might just be waiting for Solstice to make his appearance, which would be appropriate, being the Birth of the Sun and all. So any labor vibes you could send to MA would be wonderful. 

Come ponder with me about food!
Old 12-17-2010, 02:08 PM

After the day I've had, I'm sorry that I just don't have the energy to reply to each person who has posted.

Had a 3 1/2 hour meeting today and I'm emotionally and physically exhausted.  I will talk more about the end of next week when plans should be more solidified.  

Hugs to all.

Wishing everyone a bright and happy Solstice.

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

Old 12-17-2010, 09:26 PM

Thank you, mamas! I agree that my mother shouldn't have gone nosing around and shouldn't be dancing around the issue. If she wanted to know something, she could ask me. And I really wish she would, now that I know she knows. But she doesn't know that I know she knows, I don't think... Debating going over and confronting her about it tomorrow. But then again, I might just sleep in, then go do Christmas shopping. I am still exhausted and recovering from my fainting spell Sunday......

Good night for now! <3

bellycast.gifI am the Goddess, I am the Mother, all acts of love and pleasure are my rituals.dust.gif
Old 12-18-2010, 05:48 AM

Morning:)

Aubergine thinking about Cole and his family.  I can't even imagine how I would deal with an ill child.  Just thinking about it is enough to bring me to tears. 

I would like to go to the bookstore today.  I need to get out of the house.  It feels like the only time I go out is to grocery shop and it's really getting to me.  Maybe I can convince the DH to get up and go?? 

Have a great day:)

Old 12-18-2010, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaughterOfKali View Post

After the day I've had, I'm sorry that I just don't have the energy to reply to each person who has posted.

Had a 3 1/2 hour meeting today and I'm emotionally and physically exhausted.  I will talk more about the end of next week when plans should be more solidified.  

Hugs to all.

Wishing everyone a bright and happy Solstice.

DOK- try to do something for yourself!

Quote:

Thank you, mamas! I agree that my mother shouldn't have gone nosing around and shouldn't be dancing around the issue. If she wanted to know something, she could ask me. And I really wish she would, now that I know she knows. But she doesn't know that I know she knows, I don't think... Debating going over and confronting her about it tomorrow. But then again, I might just sleep in, then go do Christmas shopping. I am still exhausted and recovering from my fainting spell Sunday......

Good night for now! <3

Maybe a witchvox article about your beliefs would help? There used to be a pamphlet that was more a faq form, it really handled the questions about what we believe well.Fainting spell? Oh no, are you ok?

Cleaning and picking up today plus winters farmers market. Well, better get going.

User Tag List