Winter Yoga as a Spiritual Practice! - Yoginis of all Faiths Welcome! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 12-15-2010, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

How is everyone?  I've been doing a early morning sadhana now for two weeks.  Very interesting to say the least. :)  Anyone planning any kind of special practice for Winter Solstice?  I'm thinking on it.

Appalachian mountain woman, radical homemaker, homeschooler, childbirth educator, and doula loving her DH and three powerful little femmes. Deladis 8-4-05, Ivy 4-28-08, and Gweneth 7-21-12 HBA2C! hbac.gif  -  blogging.jpg ribboncesarean.gif

#2 of 25 Old 12-15-2010, 03:58 PM

I've been thinking about it... I teach prenatal yoga and my class will fall on the solstice. 

#3 of 25 Old 12-16-2010, 08:05 PM

I didn't think about it - too busy planning other Winter Solstice related activities.  A good idea, though.  We've done a lunar salutation on the night of the full moon.  Why not on the Winter Solstice?

#4 of 25 Old 01-02-2011, 05:53 PM

Seeing as I killed the thread last time, I thought I'd bump the thread up a bit.  I've been struggling lately with developing my own personal practice - mainly that I need to come up with a fairly easy flow.  Videos are out for me as the ceiling in the basement is far too low for yoga.  Any suggestions?

#5 of 25 Old 01-03-2011, 05:45 AM

If you want a guided practice outside of class, how about podcasts (Hillary Rubin's is great: http://hillarysyogapractice.wordpress.com/ she hasn't updated in a while, but there's 71 different practices to choose from right now) or audio CDs (John  Friend and Shiva Rea both have some excellent ones).

#6 of 25 Old 01-03-2011, 06:52 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Thanks for the link! I'd like to join in. I'm reading the book Yoga For Anxiety and have started a 31 day yoga dedication for all of January. I have already done it the past two days. It's made me feel so much better already. smile.gif Does anyone use the Exhale (more of pilated fusion) or Ana Brett DVDs? I do postnatal yoga with Gurmukh right now and an Element postnatal video I really like but was looking for a more challenging one. Right now it's Viniyoga with Rachel Brice on her Serpentine DVD, but I was thinking something a bit more like these.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#7 of 25 Old 01-07-2011, 12:16 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Oh nos! Did I kill the thread? lol.gif

Has anyone tried the Anna Brett dvds? or Eoin Finn ones?

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#8 of 25 Old 01-08-2011, 01:20 PM

Katala - Thanks for the suggestions!  :0)

#9 of 25 Old 01-09-2011, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter

Right now, I'm using Maya Fiennes, which I just love.  I think Detox and Destress with her would be a good postnatal one.  But she has a series - Journey Through the Chakras that is amazing.

Appalachian mountain woman, radical homemaker, homeschooler, childbirth educator, and doula loving her DH and three powerful little femmes. Deladis 8-4-05, Ivy 4-28-08, and Gweneth 7-21-12 HBA2C! hbac.gif  -  blogging.jpg ribboncesarean.gif

#10 of 25 Old 01-11-2011, 10:04 AM

Coming out of lurkdom to ask if anyone had read this book and what they thought of it. I'm considering buying it but would like some reviews from like-minded folks. Thanks! :)

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
#11 of 25 Old 01-11-2011, 10:10 AM

Actually, since I'm already here any book and/or video, heck! or even website recommendations would be awesome! 

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
#12 of 25 Old 01-12-2011, 08:19 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)

I haven't read Yoga from the Inside Out, but it looks good!

My favorite is Yoga: The Spirit and Practice of Moving Into Stillness by Schiffmann. Amazing book!

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

#13 of 25 Old 01-12-2011, 04:33 PM

yoga funny....

I teach yoga and plan my sequences at home on my mat. At home, I never really think about the front of the room and the back of the room.

Today while I was teaching, I ended up with everyone facing the back of the room while we were sitting, and couldn't think how to get them turned around to the front!!!  If we'd been standing, I could have done it, but sitting......????????????????????????????????

I totally blanked, and I seriously considered saying "Simon says, turn around and face the front of the room."

#14 of 25 Old 01-23-2011, 09:26 PM

Yes, I've read it. It is a wonderful book as is the author! She's an Anusara instructor and so therefore much of it is based on Tantric philosophy. At the time when I read it I had been involved in an Anusara immersion and so much of it was really insightful. However I suggested it as a good read to a friend (who struggles with body image issues) who practices yoga but not Anusara and she enjoyed it as well. I appreciate Christina's insight from her own experience as well as other yogi practitioners (their stories are inserted throughout the book). I think it speaks to all of our experiences (to some level) of accepting ourselves and seeing the beauty in ourselves as we are.

Quote:

Originally Posted by magstphil View Post

Coming out of lurkdom to ask if anyone had read this book and what they thought of it. I'm considering buying it but would like some reviews from like-minded folks. Thanks! :)

#15 of 25 Old 01-23-2011, 09:28 PM

I think you should have! It would have been too funny. I miss my teacher, she always made me laugh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda on the move View Post

yoga funny....

I teach yoga and plan my sequences at home on my mat. At home, I never really think about the front of the room and the back of the room.

Today while I was teaching, I ended up with everyone facing the back of the room while we were sitting, and couldn't think how to get them turned around to the front!!!  If we'd been standing, I could have done it, but sitting......????????????????????????????????

I totally blanked, and I seriously considered saying "Simon says, turn around and face the front of the room."

#16 of 25 Old 01-25-2011, 07:23 PM

Thank you, Bee! I would love to take an Anusara class but there are none close enough to me :(

#17 of 25 Old 01-26-2011, 10:20 AM

Quote:

Thank you, Bee! I would love to take an Anusara class but there are none close enough to me :(

I've struggled to find Anusara classes where I am that I can attend. I moved over a year ago and lost access to my wonderful teacher, it's been tough. However I've been able to find some teachers at least influenced by Anusara by looking at their Bios on studio or gym websites in my area (some are more complete than others). It takes a lot to become an Anusara teacher, even Anusara inspired and therefore if a teacher isn't Inspired/certified they can't advertise the class as Anusara. I've done an Anusara immersion/teacher training, but I still could not advertise a class I taught as Anusara, kwim. So you may be able to find someone who teaches in that style and has some Anusara background, obviously it will depend on the teacher on how much is drawn from Anusara.

#18 of 25 Old 01-27-2011, 01:57 PM

Quote:

magstphil,

Though nothing can replace a live class, the podcast that I linked to above (Hillary Rubin) is taught by a certified Anusara teacher, as this this one: http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/elsies-yoga-class-live-unplugged/id181891173

Yogaglo also has some great classes taught by Elena Brower (another amazing Anusarian!) but those are not free.

I'm in a similar predicament! I've been going into New York or New Jersey (I'm in a very rural part of Eastern PA) every now and then to take Anusara classes and have been relying heavily on podcasts and John Friend's CDs (Anusara Yoga 101 and Anusara Essentials) on a daily basis (I'm personally not a huge fan of DVDs).

Quote:
Originally Posted by beebalmmama View Post

Quote:

I've struggled to find Anusara classes where I am that I can attend. I moved over a year ago and lost access to my wonderful teacher, it's been tough. However I've been able to find some teachers at least influenced by Anusara by looking at their Bios on studio or gym websites in my area (some are more complete than others). It takes a lot to become an Anusara teacher, even Anusara inspired and therefore if a teacher isn't Inspired/certified they can't advertise the class as Anusara. I've done an Anusara immersion/teacher training, but I still could not advertise a class I taught as Anusara, kwim. So you may be able to find someone who teaches in that style and has some Anusara background, obviously it will depend on the teacher on how much is drawn from Anusara.

Bee, it sounds like you and I are in very similar situations! I've completed Immersion part I and gearing up for Part II but  am not near to a teacher I can study with on a weekly basis. I'm moving out west within the year so hopefully this will change! I've been practicing Anusara for years and while my actual certifications come from other traditions/schools though I find that my practice and my teaching has been shifting heavily toward Anusara. I've found, in a way, I struggle with being able to honestly describe my classes. I will usually just advertise a general "hatha" or "vinyasa" class (or sometimes I use the term "tantric hatha") and if a student asks what "style" I teach I will name the two schools that my 200 and 500 hour certifications come from but then mention that I am currently studying a lot of Anusara and am heavily influenced by that system.

#19 of 25 Old 01-28-2011, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katala View Post

Quote:

magstphil,

Though nothing can replace a live class, the podcast that I linked to above (Hillary Rubin) is taught by a certified Anusara teacher, as this this one: http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/elsies-yoga-class-live-unplugged/id181891173

Yogaglo also has some great classes taught by Elena Brower (another amazing Anusarian!) but those are not free.

I'm in a similar predicament! I've been going into New York or New Jersey (I'm in a very rural part of Eastern PA) every now and then to take Anusara classes and have been relying heavily on podcasts and John Friend's CDs (Anusara Yoga 101 and Anusara Essentials) on a daily basis (I'm personally not a huge fan of DVDs).

Quote:
Originally Posted by beebalmmama View Post

Quote:

Bee, it sounds like you and I are in very similar situations! I've completed Immersion part I and gearing up for Part II but  am not near to a teacher I can study with on a weekly basis. I'm moving out west within the year so hopefully this will change! I've been practicing Anusara for years and while my actual certifications come from other traditions/schools though I find that my practice and my teaching has been shifting heavily toward Anusara. I've found, in a way, I struggle with being able to honestly describe my classes. I will usually just advertise a general "hatha" or "vinyasa" class (or sometimes I use the term "tantric hatha") and if a student asks what "style" I teach I will name the two schools that my 200 and 500 hour certifications come from but then mention that I am currently studying a lot of Anusara and am heavily influenced by that system.

I agree with finding some podcasts. I know there are some other teachers out there with some free podcasts out there. I'll see if I can find them again. I just got an ipod this year from a friend and so I'v been thining of looking for some more classes that way.

There is a recently certified Anusara teacher where I am and I'm now able to make her class. Luckily for me my BFF bought me a punch pass for the holidays (funds for yoga are tight for me right now). It's a good class but is lacking in the spiritual element that drew me into Anusara. I try to go in with an open mind, but it makes me miss my teacher even more. I know it's not fair to compare teachers and considering my teacher is a senior Anusara teacher, I know this new teacher can hardly match up. But I 've realized that although I love asana, it is the spiritual/heart themes of Anusara which helps me on my path of yoga.

Katala, How you are describing your classes is exactly how my teacher asked that we describe a class we taught without being inspired/certified. So I think the best you can do is relate the influence Anusara has on your teaching to your students.

#20 of 25 Old 01-29-2011, 08:11 AM

Quote:

I've been fortunate to attend classes taught by several different Anusara certified or inspired teachers, and they really aren't consistent. Some are wonderful, others not so much. And  there are some WONDERFUL teachers out there with RYT credentials that aren't Anusara.  You really can't tell everything by the name. I think you just have to go to a class a few times and see how that teacher works for you.

I don't think you can really tell much by reading a teacher's bio. Teaching comes from personal practice and what is in the teacher's heart. It's difficult to put that into a resume.

The certification process for Anusara is nuts. The only thing you know for sure if someone is Ansuara certified is that they have spent thousands and thousands and thousands of dollars on yoga teacher training.

We moved last summer and I'm missing my teachers in my old city too. I finally find a teacher here I really like (RYT200) and she's now out on an injury!

#21 of 25 Old 01-29-2011, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda on the move View Post

Quote:

I've been fortunate to attend classes taught by several different Anusara certified or inspired teachers, and they really aren't consistent. Some are wonderful, others not so much. And  there are some WONDERFUL teachers out there with RYT credentials that aren't Anusara.  You really can't tell everything by the name. I think you just have to go to a class a few times and see how that teacher works for you.

I don't think you can really tell much by reading a teacher's bio. Teaching comes from personal practice and what is in the teacher's heart. It's difficult to put that into a resume.

The certification process for Anusara is nuts. The only thing you know for sure if someone is Ansuara certified is that they have spent thousands and thousands and thousands of dollars on yoga teacher training.

We moved last summer and I'm missing my teachers in my old city too. I finally find a teacher here I really like (RYT200) and she's now out on an injury!

True that in any yoga style all teachers are not the same. Anusara has touched my heart and I that is probably so much in part to my teacher. I know her practice, teaching and spiritual studies began long before she even became Anusara certified and so I have benefitted through her a long line of wonderful teachers. So for me I have been used to having a teacher that has a very strong spiritual practice and it's true that no teachers bio can really relate that.

I guess maybe that is where I'm headed in my own practice, a division between my spiritual teachers and my weekly yoga class. I was just extremely fortunate to have both for a time.

On another note I've restarted my personal practice. It really took a dive with our move and the birth of my son last year and working through some grief with losing access to to my teacher.

I previously had an early morning practice which worked really well for me. Not a lot of strong asana but it fit my life with little ones. I think I was waiting for ds2 to start STTN so I could get up early but that is not happening. So fortunately for now I've found time for an afternoon practice during his naps. 

#22 of 25 Old 03-08-2011, 02:33 PM

I thought about starting a new thread - for Spring - in the end I figured I'd just post here as it's not quite Spring just yet.

Prior to February I had a good practice going.  I was able to get to class at least a couple of times a week and even got some time on my own at home.  Since then I've become unmoored.  The political climate in our state just about blew up which has required quite a bit of action on our part just to keep up (and make our voices heard).  Yoga faded from view, but I figured it would just be for now...not forever.

Fast forward to today...not only have things not settled down, but I just found out that the only decent Yoga studio in the area is closing at the end of the month.  I won't make it to a class because Saturdays are spent in the freaking cold protesting.  Since my husband works second shift, not a single one of the classes is at a time I can attend.

As for at home?  What about at home.  Mostly I suppose all I have are what sound like excuses.  Three children, homeschooling, and a husband that works like crazy and can't seem to get out of bed before 9am...or later.  I feel like I'm being pulled from all sides.  And then the space thing.  We don't have a large house by any stretch of the imagination, but it's plenty big.  Still, there's no space for me.  Furniture just about takes up every once of free space and the ceiling in the basement is so low that there are a number of poses I can't do without hitting it somehow.

Yoga was my tie to myself...does that make sense?  Without it my back hurts and I feel like I'm lost.  The flow...I can handle that, but the lack of space and time - I'm not so sure about that one.

#23 of 25 Old 04-09-2011, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pampered_mom View Post

I thought about starting a new thread - for Spring - in the end I figured I'd just post here as it's not quite Spring just yet.

Oh, would someone start a spring thread? even a spring summer?

I've recently had a re-awakening to yoga (doing it on and off for years, then had a ... well, I really can only call it an awakening. Everything is falling into place). I've reclaimed my daily practice now and am considering becoming an instructor!

So... I'd love to chat a little with you all, but I feel awkward starting a new thread when I've never been in your discussions before.

Anyone up to continue the spiritual yoga conversation? innocent.gif

K: high school teacher and mama to DS1 (7/07), loss (10/10) and DS2 (7/12). Married to my best friend and soon to be elementary school teacher!
#24 of 25 Old 04-09-2011, 08:51 AM

I would love to discuss this some more. Especially curious as to what everyone does for their daily practice. 

#25 of 25 Old 04-09-2011, 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MovnMama View Post

Oh, would someone start a spring thread? even a spring summer?

How's this?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page