What music will your Church have for Christmas? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 12-21-2010, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I thought it would be fun to see what everyone would sing at their Christmas services.  So you can post the text or title or a video.

At the Christmas Eve service we'll be singing a number of hymns - one of the less well known that I love is  "Of the Father's Heart Begotten." Sometimes it's called "Of the Father's Love Begotten." It is at the beginning of this video:

Our choir will be singing O Magnum Mysterium for the motet:

I like the mind to be a dustbin of scraps of brilliant fabric, odd gems, worthless but fascinating curiosities, tinsel, quaint bits of carving, and a reasonable amount of healthy dirt.
#2 of 14 Old 12-22-2010, 04:59 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Thanks for sharing. We are going to a baptist church for Christmas so I guess it will be hyms for me.

#3 of 14 Old 12-22-2010, 05:59 AM

We have two Christmas Eve Masses.  The first will feature traditional Christmas music with a contemporary twist ... guitars, drums, saxophone, and some of the younger kids singing with the music group.  The second Mass will have traditional organ music and Christmas hymns.

I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ. 

Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi 

#4 of 14 Old 12-22-2010, 06:17 AM

I don't actually know. I know the children's choir is singing at the early (6 pm) family service, because my DD1 is singing with them. Other than that, I have no idea! We're only going to the early service, because the late night is too much for my kids, so I may not ever know.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#5 of 14 Old 12-22-2010, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter

I guess most people don't know what they will sing ahead?  Maybe we can post what we'd like to sing, or what we've enjoyed most in the past?

I like the mind to be a dustbin of scraps of brilliant fabric, odd gems, worthless but fascinating curiosities, tinsel, quaint bits of carving, and a reasonable amount of healthy dirt.
#6 of 14 Old 12-22-2010, 10:30 AM

The Orthodox liturgical texts have been set for *centuries* - so, the text is the same, but the melodies might be different year to year, but we're singing the same melodies in my church as we did last year. Most of the stuff is specified to be in a particular tone, so there's no getting around that.

lady.gif
#7 of 14 Old 12-22-2010, 11:54 AM

I belong to an evangelical church that has a worship band.  I expect we will be singing traditional Christmas carols.... Joy to the World, Silent Night, O Holy Night, etc.  Last year a male soloist sang "Mary Did You Know" and it was awesome. 

Mostly I am just hoping that DD makes it through the entire service.  Last year DH ended up taking her out, so it is my turn this year if she can't handle it. 

Wife to DH (06/10) and Mummy to DD (07/08).

#8 of 14 Old 12-22-2010, 04:54 PM

Our church just finished up a Christmas series. Here are a couple of videos. We have a very contemporary worship service! I love it!!!

love.gifSara, mom to J (10/06) H (10/08) and E (5/11) love.gif

#9 of 14 Old 12-22-2010, 06:23 PM - Thread Starter

77, your church looks huge!  How many people fit in it?

#10 of 14 Old 12-23-2010, 09:52 AM

I sing in the choir at my church, and we generally do traditional Christmas carols during the late service - Joy to the World, Silent Night, Hark the Herald Angels Sing, etc.  The choir also does a 30-minute choral sing before the service, which is usually a mix of traditional and contemporary music.  This year's selections include In the Bleak Midwinter, Gospel Noel, a trumpet solo of What Child is This, and a German piece that will be sung by our vicar - he has a beautiful voice!  I'm really looking forward to tomorrow night:-)

Benjamin's Mom, 11/13/07joy.gif
#11 of 14 Old 12-23-2010, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluegoat View Post

I'm wondering, too. Wow. (Here's me, though, coming from a congregation of barely 280 adults, total. With the kids, we are a lot more than that, but still. Our little homegrown musical efforts are primitive, compared to that.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#12 of 14 Old 12-23-2010, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaW412 View Post

I sing in the choir at my church, and we generally do traditional Christmas carols during the late service - Joy to the World, Silent Night, Hark the Herald Angels Sing, etc.  The choir also does a 30-minute choral sing before the service, which is usually a mix of traditional and contemporary music.  This year's selections include In the Bleak Midwinter, Gospel Noel, a trumpet solo of What Child is This, and a German piece that will be sung by our vicar - he has a beautiful voice!  I'm really looking forward to tomorrow night:-)

There is a really good youtube video of In the Bleak Midwinter.  It's one of my favorites too.  I am hoping we might have it for the children's service tommorow.

#13 of 14 Old 12-23-2010, 01:05 PM

That's a beautiful video, Bluegoat - thank you for sharing!

Benjamin's Mom, 11/13/07joy.gif
#14 of 14 Old 12-23-2010, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluegoat View Post

Right now we have 6 services and during one recent weekend I think we had over 4,000 in attendance. Last year we were the 9th fastest growing church in America. It is super awesome!!!! They are really on fire for Jesus!!!!!

love.gifSara, mom to J (10/06) H (10/08) and E (5/11) love.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page