What are your spiritual and prayer practices? How do you incorporate them into your day/week? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 12-27-2010, 05:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

And I'd also like to know which of them are for you alone (or between you and G-d or Creator or Goddess or whatever way you address your prayer) and which include other people, particularly your partner (if you have one) and children?

-Dancy

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 12-27-2010, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter

Hmmm - too general?  Too personal?  Maybe covered here before?

Mine varies a little - I do morning blessings right away, and since I have to let the dog out when I first get up, I do them outside, which is nice. I come in and do a little inspirational reading while I have a drink. <snip>

Other than that I try to pray in community on the Sabbath, and say a blessing before I eat or drink anything (although I'm afraid I rarely say the ones one is supposed to say after eating.)

Kind of hoping to learn about more folks' practices, but if I don't see more posts, I'll try looking back in the archives, as I imagine it's been written of here before.

-Dancy

#3 of 7 Old 12-28-2010, 11:46 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Good question.  must be a slow day.

I am terrible.  I will just preface it with that statement.

I usually do morning prayers in the car on the way to work.  I work in a really braindead job so I often pray for people while I work.  

try to pray before I eat or at least make the sign of the cross.  Occasionally, I even say the prayers at the conclusion of the meal.  

I pray with the children in the evening.  we usually light candles and burn inscense as well at this time.

Our church services are entirely focused on prayer.  I usually go on Wednesday (a prayer service to the Mother of God) and Saturday (vespers) and every other Sunday (liturgy)

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#4 of 7 Old 12-28-2010, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyka View Post

Good question.  must be a slow day.

I am terrible.  I will just preface it with that statement.

I usually do morning prayers in the car on the way to work.  I work in a really braindead job so I often pray for people while I work.  

try to pray before I eat or at least make the sign of the cross.  Occasionally, I even say the prayers at the conclusion of the meal.  

I pray with the children in the evening.  we usually light candles and burn inscense as well at this time.

Our church services are entirely focused on prayer.  I usually go on Wednesday (a prayer service to the Mother of God) and Saturday (vespers) and every other Sunday (liturgy)

Lilyka, thank you for sharing this.  It sounds like a lovely practice to me - not terrible at all, but one where you are prayerful on and off through every day, as well as taking two or three times a week to focus on prayer in fellowship.  I imagine that all of the times through the day that you are in prayer influence the rest of the day.

I also think it's really cool that you light candles and burn incense with the kids during your evening prayer time.  I wish I had thought of that when my kids were young, because I think it really does increase one's sense of the holiness of those moments of focusing together on G-d's amazing presence in our lives.  

-Dancy

#5 of 7 Old 12-29-2010, 07:56 PM - Thread Starter

just a bump in hopes that someone else will share!

#6 of 7 Old 12-30-2010, 05:55 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)

I'm a Stay at home mom.

I try to make prayer just part of my everyday. If I'm worried about something I will just pray out loud so my boys can hear. My 5 year old will sometimes want to pray to.

I read the Bible out loud sometimes. I also have a daily devotional that I read every night before bed.

Funny I would like to do something with my husband but the time is not their right now.

#7 of 7 Old 12-30-2010, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazsmum View Post

I'm a Stay at home mom.

I try to make prayer just part of my everyday. If I'm worried about something I will just pray out loud so my boys can hear. My 5 year old will sometimes want to pray to.

What a great way to demonstrate to your boys the realness of your relationship with G-d. 

Posted by Nazsmum : "Funny I would like to do something with my husband but the time is not their right now."

My husband's therapist assigned him to pray with me in the a.m.s (our schedule allows this about 4 days a week).  It's been a very good thing for us.  Maybe it will work for you and your husband in the new year?

Thank you for posting.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page