January Pagan Circle - Page 10 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#271 of 521 Old 01-14-2011, 04:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

missing the chance to truly catch up and read everything, so I have enough time to at least say hi!

love and light!

prayers for all in need, sick, hurting teeth, tragedy, mourning.

Been extra busy with DD being uber fussy-esp. since it took me many days of leftovers to figure out it was the tiny amounts of onion I was eating that were making her so miserable.

DS's b-day is sunday, 3 years old! His party is tomorrow, and I'm way stressed about all the cleaning and the train cake I'm going to attempt.

Will try to post a pic-if it works out!

unschoolin-I have a bachelor's of fine arts...but as a SAHM for now, all of my creative energies are funneled into crafts with my son, or making gifts etc.  My plan is to SAH until our last one is in school, then get a masters and do art therapy. Funny I went to an uber-snotty, elitist art school where not aspiring to the gallery life was unimaginable.grossedout.gif

weather-in SoCal today-80...that plus babywearing all day has been enough in the past to give me heat rash on my breasts. SO gross.

My people hail from a land of ice and snow! Not that I miss the snow and ice of my Chi Town roots, but this is not my cup of tea.

sorry to not respond more but I  am thinking of all of you lovely mammas!!!

blessed be

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#272 of 521 Old 01-14-2011, 05:19 PM

Ugh, what a day. So DD had the stomach flu yesterday, and seems fine today. Me, not so much. Thankfully, a friend of mine was nice enough to take my DD, so I could rest. DD is very good at playing by herself, but it just didn't seem fair to her for her to play by herself all day. I'm really bummed though because we were supposed to go to an open full moon circle tonight, and a good friend's birthday party for her son tomorrow. 

Come ponder with me about food!
#273 of 521 Old 01-14-2011, 08:56 PM

http://www.cookitsimply.com/category-0020-02j44.html

Who knew?  LOL

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#274 of 521 Old 01-14-2011, 09:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View Post

Who knew?  LOL

right, but i'm pretty sure that the store-bought stuff is VASTLY different than the stuff with the pretty blue flowers beside the road.  kinda like the difference between wild strawberries (tiny tart-bland) and cultivated strawberries (possibly huge juicy-sweetness)

Jennifer, Naturopath and mom

#275 of 521 Old 01-14-2011, 09:43 PM

http://adamswife.wordpress.com/2008/02/25/chicory-vs-endive/  in one of the pix from the above link the chicory looked like endive... it sort of is. :)

h

mama to 6 amazing children joy.gif married to my main man for 21 years love.gif and finally home FULL time dishes.gifhang.gifknit.gif

#276 of 521 Old 01-15-2011, 06:33 AM

REALLY having an issue with the multiquote feature tonight ... just lost a couple of posts I wanted to reply to *sigh*

I want to get out of my house and the weather is not co-operating. I could have gone out yesterday, but my Buggy didn't want to, and it seemed pointless to make me stressed and her grumpy just to pick up some groceries.

Cari-How are you doing?

We are good :)   The towns nearby have begun the cleanup... apparently they are super stocked for volunteers at the moment lol.   I signed on the website and was told at the moment they are tripping over people, but if I will still be available in a week or so the stream will thin out and they will definitely call. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by redveg View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by liza-s View Post

Seriously.headscratch.gifconfused.gif It is $3.41 right now here in AK. The oil comes out of the ground 600 miles from here. Is refined 300 miles from here. Some of the lowest gas taxes in the country. I don't think I've paid less than $3/gal in 10 years.  Prices are expected to go up with the trans alaska pipeline shutdown/slowdown.  I forget how expensive things are in 'the great state' sometimes.

Gas is $3 and change here but it changes daily sometimes twice a day. It's not as high as it is where you are though. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CariOfOz View Post

Fuel here is at 1.40c per litre, and since our dollar is just about at parity that makes the price per gallon 5.60! (can't post below quote)

Wow that's expensive.  I forget how much more other countries pay for fuel compared to the US. 

YEP,  a year ago it was a dollar a litre *sigh*  And you are right, through no fault of your own as US citizens, you have been spoiled by artificially low prices for fuel & electricity.  I remember paying 50bucks a month, flat rate, for electricity in my apartment in California.  With air con, dishwasher, etc.  Here, in the smallest house we lived in, with no air conditioning, we paid over twice that a month!

As for the price of fuel.. if you think it changes there lol you should see here.  We don't have the govt regulations for fuel prices here that the states does... in the US when you buy gas and it's (going on the price it was when i left in 2000) 1.69 a gallon, you can be pretty sure that 1.69 is the price most places, within a few cents.  And it didn't change constantly... here the price can vary by 10-15c a litre depending on where you go, AND there is always one day a week it's cheaper.  It used to be tuesdays, as everyone gets paid wed for the most part so they raised prices tuesday night.  Now it's saturdays for whatever reason lol 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluets View Post

so much to chat about!

yurts - i would love a yurt.  dh not so much.  he prefers these homes: http://www.enertia.net/Home/tabid/36/Default.aspx

Those houses are lovely too bluets!  I want natural feeling and earthy... lots of wood would work :P   But here, they would cost a fortune!

Quote:
Originally Posted by witchygrrl View Post

Ugh, what a day. So DD had the stomach flu yesterday, and seems fine today. Me, not so much. Thankfully, a friend of mine was nice enough to take my DD, so I could rest. DD is very good at playing by herself, but it just didn't seem fair to her for her to play by herself all day. I'm really bummed though because we were supposed to go to an open full moon circle tonight, and a good friend's birthday party for her son tomorrow. 

Urgh.. hope you are feeling better :)  A days rest will do ya wonders!

Quote:

Who knew?  LOL

Ok.. that looks like witlof, or belgian endive?  lol

I think it was bluets, or aubergine?  that posted the link to Goddess Leonie's website a while ago?  Here   and I ordered the lovely workbook/calendar and liked it.  Well she went and introduced a payment plan for her membership that I couldn't resist  innocent.gif  Which of her lovely fun courses to do first is what I have to decide now!   hehehe

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
#277 of 521 Old 01-15-2011, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMoonMum View Postesp. since it took me many days of leftovers to figure out it was the tiny amounts of onion I was eating that were making her so miserable.

DS's b-day is sunday, 3 years old! His party is tomorrow, and I'm way stressed about all the cleaning and the train cake I'm going to attempt.

Will try to post a pic-if it works out!

unschoolin-I have a bachelor's of fine arts...but as a SAHM for now, all of my creative energies are funneled into crafts with my son, or making gifts etc.  My plan is to SAH until our last one is in school, then get a masters and do art therapy. Funny I went to an uber-snotty, elitist art school where not aspiring to the gallery life was unimaginable.grossedout.gif

Happy birthday to your ds! You'll be fine.

Gawd, don't you just hate the experimentation to find what's bothering babies that are nursing? I cut out everything, practically, with ds, when he was a baby, and could never find the culprit. When I found out that lettuce could possibly be gassy, I just broke down and cried.

I have a BFA, too smile.gif In advertising design. Which I have never done, nor will I lol.gif Art school took away my muse. And I graduated in 1981. I am just, JUST, now, toying with the idea of drawing again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by witchygrrl View PostUgh, what a day. So DD had the stomach flu yesterday, and seems fine today. Me, not so much. Thankfully, a friend of mine was nice enough to take my DD, so I could rest. DD is very good at playing by herself, but it just didn't seem fair to her for her to play by herself all day. I'm really bummed though because we were supposed to go to an open full moon circle tonight, and a good friend's birthday party for her son tomorrow. 

I hope you are feeling better. Stomach flu-- for lack of a better word, sucks.

Took ds to a school mate's birthday party last night, against my better judgment. It was at a gymnastics place, from 7:30 to 9:30 at night!!! Who has a 10yo's birthday party at that hour? Anyway ds was uber hyper cause I'd forgotten to give him his meds in the day, which, even if I had, they would've worn off by then. I told him we'd hang for an hour or so. Well they seemed to be having a good time and he was behaving, so about 9 I gathered up our coats, and just before that, apparently ds had an altercation with the birthday boy and some other boys, and there were like 4 boys mad at him and a couple of parents, so whatever it was, it was ds's fault. Which wouldn't be a problem, except, ds took his usual attitude that he didn't do anything, was in the right, and everybody else was wrong, and was very snotty about it. The birthday mom was very pissed and as kindly as she could, told us to leave birthday boy alone so he could enjoy the rest of his party and we maybe ought to go now (which we were, anyway). This boy is invited to ds's party in 2 weeks. DS figured out that the boy probably won't accept the invitation, now. The mom, in her distress. admitted to me that inviting ds was a dubious affair because "he's mean to Birthday Boy at school" but that they chanced trying it anyway, and look what happened.

DS cried and got very upset when he realized that the Birthday Boy was that upset with him, and probably wouldn't come to his party, and got really sorry and tried to tell both the kid and the mom, but by that time, neither of them wanted to talk to ds at all.

When we got home, ds still insisted that he wasn't wrong, and that Birthday Boy and another girl "always gang up on me at school and try to get me in trouble for things I didn't do"-- which may or may not be true, but ds is so consistently doing things like this that I don't believe him. He does instigate, and retaliate, and does not get that he doesn't have to be mean in return for other people's meanness. He has an incredible mean streak, though he's usually very kind.

I'm more concerned about the consistent attitude. What in the world do I do? How can I impart that he HAS to take responsibility for his actions? How can I get him to understand when he IS wrong? According to him, he's an angel and is never, EVER wrong. It's so exasperating and upsetting greensad.gif

Quote:

Who knew?  LOL

Quote:

Originally Posted by mamaofthree View Post

http://adamswife.wordpress.com/2008/02/25/chicory-vs-endive/  in one of the pix from the above link the chicory looked like endive... it sort of is. :)

Hmm, wow. So I wonder, on this diet, if they mean endive, then? Can you actually cook that?? It doesn't sound appetizing. I can't get the pic, MO3, the whole page loads except the photo. Dang.

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

#278 of 521 Old 01-15-2011, 07:39 AM

I wish I knew the answer to this.  I have on DD who right now we are trying to figure out how to make her realize this very thing.  About a week ago she backed into the snow plow and put a huge dent/scratch in the car door.  She has yet to accept responsibility for this and is blaming everyone and everything else.  My DH was outside and watched it happen and she is telling a different story.  We have been going round and round about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiasaura View Post

I'm more concerned about the consistent attitude. What in the world do I do? How can I impart that he HAS to take responsibility for his actions? How can I get him to understand when he IS wrong? According to him, he's an angel and is never, EVER wrong. It's so exasperating and upsetting greensad.gif

earth.gif lovin, treehugger.gif  veggie

#279 of 521 Old 01-15-2011, 07:41 AM

Morning:)  Off to run errands today.  I hope everyone has a good day.

Hope all who are feeling ill feel better soon:)

#280 of 521 Old 01-15-2011, 10:19 AM

Hi all!

Sorry I haven't popped in for awhile. I was sick for a couple days, then had an overnight shift and then I went out last night. Its been ages since I went out and even longer since I went out on a weekend night! Not that anything has changed there, lol. I am really going to try to have some fun this weekend, and prevent super crankiness all next week. I was SO cranky all week, partly because I was sick, partly because I was broke, but I think a big part was that I didn't get my normal weekend last week. I look at weekends as the time to process and deal with all the stress and crap from the previous week and to then let it go. Last weekend I sat home alone all weekend. So now, I need to find something to do with myself for today. Hmmmm.....coffee is definitely  the first order of business!

bellycast.gifI am the Goddess, I am the Mother, all acts of love and pleasure are my rituals.dust.gif
#281 of 521 Old 01-15-2011, 10:26 AM

maia: http://southernfood.about.com/od/vegetablerecipes/r/bl60127d.htm i have also seen it used in salads without cooking at all. the leaves can be used as little scoopy type things like this: http://www.everydayhealth.com/health-recipe/blue-cheesestuffed-endive.aspx

as for your ds... i wonder if it isn't also an age thing. i mean i understand your son has his own issues, but my 9 year old has a hard time dealing with the reaction to his actions and wants to push the blame on to others and not except that the thing he did caused the problem. he will be very pigheaded about it and refuse to see that it was what he did that is the problem. he also doesn't always see that he doesn't have to retaliate when he is wronged in some way. we have to work on that alot. my two oldest didn't seem to have this issue, but then maybe i am blocking it out. ds#3 (who is 6) seems to do this as well, i am not sure if he is modeling or if he is just this way all on his own.

i think i got my dates wrong. you know when they calculate a due date they do that whole last period thing, well i know when i ovulated and when we dtd so i think i am off about 10 days or so. this puts me being due ~ this sunday (at 40 weeks) and so i will not be "late" until about the 30th of jan. 

h

mama to 6 amazing children joy.gif married to my main man for 21 years love.gif and finally home FULL time dishes.gifhang.gifknit.gif

#282 of 521 Old 01-15-2011, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redveg View PostI wish I knew the answer to this.  I have on DD who right now we are trying to figure out how to make her realize this very thing.  About a week ago she backed into the snow plow and put a huge dent/scratch in the car door.  She has yet to accept responsibility for this and is blaming everyone and everything else.  My DH was outside and watched it happen and she is telling a different story.  We have been going round and round about it.

See, this is exactly it. I watch him do things, and other people watch him do things, and he will sit there and flatly deny it. Bold-face lie right to my face. And believe himself. It's amazing. Your kids are teens! I was hoping it would go away by then! Do your other two do that? Did this particular dd do it all her life? Is it a personality trait, do you think?

Quote:

Originally Posted by mamaofthree View Post

maia: http://southernfood.about.com/od/vegetablerecipes/r/bl60127d.htm

as for your ds... i wonder if it isn't also an age thing.

I dunno. I wonder, too.

Recipe: I think I can modify that one to my diet! So I am printing it out and maybe I'll try it. Thanks!

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

#283 of 521 Old 01-15-2011, 01:37 PM

How are you doing today, Witchygirl?

Happy birthday to your ds, NMM!

Quote:

tealights- do you garden?  Or have outdoor space?  They might make interesting wind/sun catchers or scare crow additions (thread them on twine with knot to keep the metal bits spaced out then hang like bunting).

You could snip them into star/sun shapes and flatten them for this, maybe... hope you and yours are feeling better today, Clay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluets View Post

the dandelion in the store and most cultivated dandelion is actually a chicory species.  cousins, if you will.  i guess people are squeamish about eating dandelion so they call it Cichorium and then charge mucho bucks instead.  meh - sorry, just feeling a tad cynical today.

No one wants to fund operating costs, do they?  But you need buildings to do the science in, really!

My dd has been going through my neglected dried herbs  and organizing them - I hung lots to dry last summer, late, in brown paper bags, and then just stuck them all on a shelf in a dark storeroom. It was a busy time. She's organized them, jarred and labeled them, tossed old/mouldy ones, made a shelf in the kitchen for them, researched their uses and has been making me teas for what ails me.  Right now, I'm drinking a lemon ginger licorice root and chamomile tea for my sore throat.  A couple days back it was a Moontime Tea with rrl , nettles and yarrow, and chamomile. She found my old copy of Rosemary Gladstar's Herbal Healing for Women and asked indignantly "How did I not know we had this book, mom?"  I bought that book when I was trying to conceive my first child 15 years ago, and now that child is making me herbal teas out of that booklove.gif  Anyway, I took her to the hfs yesterday and she asked if we could buy some dandelion leaf tea and I was like "We have dandelion root.  And dandelions all over the yard half of the year.  Do we *have* to spend $7 on a box of dandelion leaves?"  But dandelion leaf was what she wants to work with and she's been so wonderful lately and I want to encourage this hobby so --  I got it for her. I still haven't told dh that I paid $ for dandelion leaves, though, lol!

Originally Posted by CariOfOz View Post

I think it was bluets, or aubergine?  that posted the link to Goddess Leonie's website a while ago?  Here   and I ordered the lovely workbook/calendar and liked it.  Well she went and introduced a payment plan for her membership that I couldn't resist  innocent.gif  Which of her lovely fun courses to do first is what I have to decide now!   hehehe

Not me, but what fun!  

I have a BFA, too smile.gif In advertising design. Which I have never done, nor will I lol.gif Art school took away my muse. And I graduated in 1981. I am just, JUST, now, toying with the idea of drawing again. 

Lol.  I studied English at Uni because I was going to be a writer. Financed my first-year tuition with poetry prizes, in fact.  But the muse deserted me before I figured out that studying what you love can be dangerous that way.

I'm sorry for your issues with your ds.  He's in martial arts, right?  Could his instructor have a talk with him?  I know my older son was very impressed last year when his instructor had a private chat with him after he hit a child on the schoolyard  in a fight - if it happened again, I was pulling him from Tae kwon do. Hasn't happened since. Is there a way to interpret the values of his art to focus on the taking responsibility for what one does, bit? 

I slept in really late today to help kill the sore throat I went to bed with, and my to-do list is calling.  Cheers, all, and have a great day!

#284 of 521 Old 01-15-2011, 01:45 PM

Quote:
See, this is exactly it. I watch him do things, and other people watch him do things, and he will sit there and flatly deny it. Bold-face lie right to my face. And believe himself. It's amazing. Your kids are teens! I was hoping it would go away by then! Do your other two do that? Did this particular dd do it all her life? Is it a personality trait, do you think?

(Donning my child dev hat for a moment LOL)  I think it can be a personality trait in some cases. More often, especially at certain ages and stages as we say, it's a sign of "new things happening" in the brain. It's actually a sign of growth. (Albeit an obnoxious one sometimes lol) Dishonesty is actually a way that children start to distinguish their own thinking from their parents. Like, "You may be able to do a lot of things, but you can't prevent me from saying this." Sorta. It's positive in the sense that they are developing their own perspective.

It can also be, not surprisingly, a way to self preserve from punishment or from being seen as "naughty" or devious. So if we can temporarily take the view of the kid and try to get to the "goal" of the lie. What message are they trying to send? I always focused on the natural consequences of lying (people won't trust you, you may hurt someone's feelings, damages relationships etc). Also, the fear is punishment is a biggie and I know families handle that part of the equation differently (we didn't use punishments in our case), so navigating that calmly is key I think. Feel free to ignore any of that crud I just wrote if it's not helpful LOL. lol.gifblahblah.gif

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
#285 of 521 Old 01-15-2011, 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aubergine68 View PostI bought that book when I was trying to conceive my first child 15 years ago, and now that child is making me herbal teas out of that booklove.gif

But the muse deserted me before I figured out that studying what you love can be dangerous that way.

I'm sorry for your issues with your ds.  He's in martial arts, right?  Could his instructor have a talk with him?  I know my older son was very impressed last year when his instructor had a private chat with him after he hit a child on the schoolyard  in a fight - if it happened again, I was pulling him from Tae kwon do. Hasn't happened since. Is there a way to interpret the values of his art to focus on the taking responsibility for what one does, bit?

Has anyone figured out how to multi-quote one person? You have 3 different things I want to reply to, here, and I'd rather do it separately. Sigh.

Anyway: that is so cool about your 15yo healing you with your herb book orngbiggrin.gif

My muse deserted me IN the process. I thought I wanted to do advertising, and it didn't take me long to realize I was wrong. My parents wouldn't let me quit college, and I didn't have the nerve to stand up to them and do it anyway (and probably didn't even realize that was an option). I finished, but hating it. A few times in the following years, I made art as gifts when I was in a really sorry state for money, but never again after that.

Yes, he's in martial arts, and I will talk to the teacher and see. He usually doesn't take a child one-on-one but addresses the whole class as if it could be anybody with that problem. But we'll see. Thanks for the idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnschoolnMa View Post(Donning my child dev hat for a moment LOL)  I think it can be a personality trait in some cases. More often, especially at certain ages and stages as we say, it's a sign of "new things happening" in the brain. It's actually a sign of growth. (Albeit an obnoxious one sometimes lol) Dishonesty is actually a way that children start to distinguish their own thinking from their parents. Like, "You may be able to do a lot of things, but you can't prevent me from saying this." Sorta. It's positive in the sense that they are developing their own perspective.

It can also be, not surprisingly, a way to self preserve from punishment or from being seen as "naughty" or devious. So if we can temporarily take the view of the kid and try to get to the "goal" of the lie. What message are they trying to send? I always focused on the natural consequences of lying (people won't trust you, you may hurt someone's feelings, damages relationships etc). Also, the fear is punishment is a biggie and I know families handle that part of the equation differently (we didn't use punishments in our case), so navigating that calmly is key I think.

It's part of him, then greensad.gif As for the first idea, I don't think so. It's not developmental. This attitude of "always right" has been with him since he was very, very little. The lying came as he got older. I think it's more of a preservation from punishment, but it backfires every single time because he gets punished for doing that. Also I think it's leftover bad self esteem things, where he wants to be right so badly that he talks himself into believing whatever he says.

Sigh.

Oh, mamas-- I came on here to tell you the best news!!! I got curious about my payoff loan for my car, and OMGs, I only have $267.54 left!!! I can't believe it!! If I pay it all by the 28th, there's no interest. If I pay it after that, it's $0.05 per day. I can't pay it all this month, I don't think-- I will have to wait till my income comes in, and see, around the 22nd, what things look like.

But isn't that so exciting??? I can now put that money towards my credit card. YAY!!!!!!  joy.gif

#286 of 521 Old 01-15-2011, 02:24 PM

Not taking responsibility- Dh still tries to get out of things, like he left something out today, and I told him I cooked them. His response- "Everyone kept distracting me, they kept bothering me." We have 3 children, yes they cause distraction but you had been in the kitchen a billion times and still didn't seem them. He often says stuff like that- for little stuff I let it go, for big stuff I call him on it.

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#287 of 521 Old 01-15-2011, 02:32 PM

This is utter bullshit. I am so put out about this!!! http://www.latimes.com/health/boostershots/la-heb-breastfeeding-for-six-months-20110115,0,482870.story

ETA: This one makes slightly more sense (when referring to allergies), but only slightly http://www.aolnews.com/2011/01/14/breastfeeding-exclusively-not-the-best-for-babies-after-all/?icid=sphere_tribune_latimes_inline

#288 of 521 Old 01-15-2011, 02:39 PM

ds tries to wiggle out of admitting something - like biting his nails.  HELLO - you've chomped them all, I'm not blind!  so finally, we stopped making such a big deal, taking a less accusatory position and more a curiosity driven perspective.  But yeah, I find that the denial arises whenever he's got neurons connecting in his brain at a rapid clip.

Aubergine - so cool about your dd!  And what a cool plant to start her exploration :)  BTW, Brigitte Mars has a whole book on dandelion recipes.

Cari - i saw that change in payment plans.  I would start with the goddess haven one - because you need to have a wonderful spot for the other 2 courses.  And how is the workbook working for you?  BTW, I learned that my cousin lives in your neck of the woods though I'm not sure exactly where....

Maia - so cool!  love getting those bills paid off!

hope everyone else is well.

Jennifer, Naturopath and mom

#289 of 521 Old 01-15-2011, 04:34 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aubergine68 View PostI bought that book when I was trying to conceive my first child 15 years ago, and now that child is making me herbal teas out of that booklove.gifAnyway: that is so cool about your 15yo healing you with your herb book orngbiggrin.gif

She's actually 12 - I had a couple of losses before finally falling pg with her :( .  Probably why I don't open that book, much, because I remember how it felt to be spotting or mc *again* and looking for *something* that would help me feel better, conceive normally, have a normal pg... It is balm to an old hurt I didn't know I still carried that she's taken it up now.

Iirc, Gladstar has some good instructions for making tinctures and ointments there.  I'll have to pull them out - I've been wanting to make FEs or at least tinctures - because I know the FE process is different - from some garden flowers/weeds this summer. 

My dd is finding a lot of websites with herbal recipes- she seems to be copying a lot of info into two notebooks, one listing info on remedies by plant and one by symptom. The only herb I have on hand that is potentially dangerous internally is comfrey, and I've warned her about that.  I'll be paying attention to toxicity issues, though.  Most of my garden herbs are food plants and therefore pretty safe.

I'd love to get her some books for her birthday.  The Wood Seven Herbs is on my short list.  I wish our library system had more decent books on herbs and herbal medicine - any alternative meds, really.  ETA - she knows the name "bluets" because I'm always telling her about books/sites you recommend :)  She also knows about aweynsayl and tapping/FES, and that Wombatclay made the necklace I'm using for a pendulum and some other names from this circle here have come up in connection with this bit of wisdom and that, for sure.  Maybe we should talk  about initiating daughters and sons into this circle someday....when they're 18, per mdc rules (That's one rule I totally support, the mdc age limit - I don't want to sound like I'm hinting for her to come on board now at all.).

#290 of 521 Old 01-15-2011, 11:01 PM

100_8027.JPG

here's my train cake, Mammas! The engine took up all of my home-made rainbow cake...so the cart and caboose were store-bought frozen poundcake!

It got good reviews and I am pretty happy with how it turned out. Aiden had a wonderful time!

love and light to all you Mammas!

#291 of 521 Old 01-16-2011, 06:02 AM - Thread Starter

Great cake!

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

#292 of 521 Old 01-16-2011, 07:01 AM

Oh, a train cake, how fun! Good job!

Happy Birthday DS!

*ouchie ouch ouch* What the heck is going on with my period? Lately it is super lite for like 3 days, with backache and mild cramps, and then on day 3/4 it gets really bad, cramping- like I want to cry cramping. I took some meds, waiting for them to kick in. I remember my Mom going through something like this as she went into pre-menopause. Seriously? Is this what I have to look fwd to? A couple of years of crap and then menopause? I don't think it was official for my Mom until shw as like 45-47, about ten years of weird period stuff to look fwd to? I turn 35 in Feb, and if this is what it is going to bring me, I would rather stay 34. sleepytime.gif Going back to bed...

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#293 of 521 Old 01-16-2011, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aubergine68 View PostShe's actually 12 - I had a couple of losses before finally falling pg with her :( .  Probably why I don't open that book, much, because I remember how it felt to be spotting or mc *again* and looking for *something* that would help me feel better, conceive normally, have a normal pg... It is balm to an old hurt I didn't know I still carried that she's taken it up now.

That's actually really cool, then, 12 seems so young to be into herbal stuff! But all the extra years for her to learn stuff; that's really cool. I'm sorry that the book brings up ick for you, but maybe now it can start new, cool memories smile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMoonMum here's my train cake, Mammas! The engine took up all of my home-made rainbow cake...so the cart and caboose were store-bought frozen poundcake!

That cake totally rocks!! What an awesome job you did!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeress View PostSeriously? Is this what I have to look fwd to? A couple of years of crap and then menopause?

That's what I've heard, yeah greensad.gif My mom started hers at 52. Which for me is the end of this year. Ugh, huh? What really stinks, though, is that I still have to worry about pregnancy at my age eyesroll.gif

#294 of 521 Old 01-16-2011, 08:32 AM

My other kids don't do it at all.  This one DD went through a stage when she was younger and then seemed to get over it, stop doing it.  All of a sudden it is back.  I think it has to do with the once she says something she sticks with it even though I and she knows it is not true.  She is my one who gets worked up the most and the easiest, don't know if that has anything to do with it, she is very emotional. 

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by redveg View PostI wish I knew the answer to this.  I have on DD who right now we are trying to figure out how to make her realize this very thing.  About a week ago she backed into the snow plow and put a huge dent/scratch in the car door.  She has yet to accept responsibility for this and is blaming everyone and everything else.  My DH was outside and watched it happen and she is telling a different story.  We have been going round and round about it.

#295 of 521 Old 01-16-2011, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMoonMum View Post

100_8027.JPG

here's my train cake, Mammas! The engine took up all of my home-made rainbow cake...so the cart and caboose were store-bought frozen poundcake!

It got good reviews and I am pretty happy with how it turned out. Aiden had a wonderful time!

love and light to all you Mammas!

That's gorgeous, mama! Seeing all the wonderful cake decorating from you women is inspiring me to be a little more creative for my kids' birthdays next month. Any websites, suggestions, etc... for a total beginner?

Partner to Rbikenew.gif ('03); Parent to T read.gif('07), Aviolin.gif ('10), and E ecbaby2.gif ('13)

femalesling.GIFhomeschool.gifchicken3.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif 

#296 of 521 Old 01-16-2011, 10:35 AM

This is specifically aimed at Liza and Cari-- I'm on a local list where a mama is going to Alaska for a vacay, and here is her question. I told her I'd ask you guys:

>>>We haven't decided if we are going to try to drive to Fairbanks, or go visit Kodiak...but we are going to spend several days touring the non-coast of Alaska.  Have any of you been?  What do you suggest as "must-see's", and what do you think we should pass on?

>

#297 of 521 Old 01-16-2011, 10:56 AM

What a lovely train cake! How fun is that? joy.gif

A friend sent me this so I thought I'd pass it on. It looks like it could be tweaked a number of fun ways. http://www.food.com/recipe/imbolc-butter-cake-349839

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
#298 of 521 Old 01-16-2011, 12:15 PM

My boy might have chicken pox fingersx.gif He was exposed 10 days ago and spiked a fever last night. He's been around them 3-4x already and nothing to show for it, so let's hope it is, and we get it over with!!

#299 of 521 Old 01-16-2011, 01:52 PM

Let's hope so, Maia...not that chicken pox is a blast, but still. My DH tried for years to get it, and he didn't until he was a teenager. Me, I sat next to someone on the bus who just got over it when I was 5...and bam! I actually though DD had it for about a day this week, but they look more like zits. Who knows.

I'm back to normal, thank goodness.

NewMoonMum, gorgeous cake! My DD would love it, seeing as she is obsessed with Thomas. Revolting, I'm with you....I need to be more creative. My DD's 3rd birthday is in August, but I'll to come up with something for her for a real birthday party, I think.

Come ponder with me about food!
#300 of 521 Old 01-16-2011, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

My boy might have chicken pox fingersx.gif He was exposed 10 days ago and spiked a fever last night. He's been around them 3-4x already and nothing to show for it, so let's hope it is, and we get it over with!!

If it's CP, hope he's not miserable.

It must be going around near me because I have three pox right now (doc confirmed).  My immune system must be messed up because this is my third time!  Yep, third.  Doc thinks I'll only get a handful this time.  She said mine is so mild, she doesn't consider me contagious.  Weird.  I'm not completely convinced I have it again. I'm wondering if it's something else.

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page