January Pagan Circle - Page 11 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#301 of 521 Old 01-16-2011, 01:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaughterOfKali View PostIf it's CP, hope he's not miserable.

You and me both. He is a HUGE, huge whiner about the littlest things. Won't trim his own toenails. Screams at splinters-- though that's gotten a lot better. Tiny little things. The itch would drive him mad, and me worse from having to listen to it-- but to get this over with, I'd handle it. Thank the Gods he has off school tomorrow. I was dreading it. Now I'm glad.

Hope you feel better, DOK.

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#302 of 521 Old 01-16-2011, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMoonMum View Post

100_8027.JPG

here's my train cake, Mammas! The engine took up all of my home-made rainbow cake...so the cart and caboose were store-bought frozen poundcake!

It got good reviews and I am pretty happy with how it turned out. Aiden had a wonderful time!

love and light to all you Mammas!

That cake is awesome!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aubergine68 View Post

My dd has been going through my neglected dried herbs  and organizing them - I hung lots to dry last summer, late, in brown paper bags, and then just stuck them all on a shelf in a dark storeroom. It was a busy time. She's organized them, jarred and labeled them, tossed old/mouldy ones, made a shelf in the kitchen for them, researched their uses and has been making me teas for what ails me.  Right now, I'm drinking a lemon ginger licorice root and chamomile tea for my sore throat.  A couple days back it was a Moontime Tea with rrl , nettles and yarrow, and chamomile. She found my old copy of Rosemary Gladstar's Herbal Healing for Women and asked indignantly "How did I not know we had this book, mom?"  I bought that book when I was trying to conceive my first child 15 years ago, and now that child is making me herbal teas out of that booklove.gif  Anyway, I took her to the hfs yesterday and she asked if we could buy some dandelion leaf tea and I was like "We have dandelion root.  And dandelions all over the yard half of the year.  Do we *have* to spend $7 on a box of dandelion leaves?"  But dandelion leaf was what she wants to work with and she's been so wonderful lately and I want to encourage this hobby so --  I got it for her. I still haven't told dh that I paid $ for dandelion leaves, though, lol!

How exciting for your DD.  Discovering the wonderful world of herbs.  I love herbs and grow all that I can.  It has branched in to many interest for me.  How wonderful you both can share in this:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnschoolnMa View Post

It can also be, not surprisingly, a way to self preserve from punishment .   I always focused on the natural consequences of lying (people won't trust you, you may hurt someone's feelings, damages relationships etc).

I thought this and also explained to my DD as well as my other children that lying is much worse than whatever they did.  But my DD hangs on to her story till the bitter end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiasaura View Post

My boy might have chicken pox fingersx.gif He was exposed 10 days ago and spiked a fever last night. He's been around them 3-4x already and nothing to show for it, so let's hope it is, and we get it over with!!

I hope he has a mild case if he has them:)

earth.gif lovin, treehugger.gif  veggie

#303 of 521 Old 01-16-2011, 02:19 PM

Quote:

My boy might have chicken pox fingersx.gif He was exposed 10 days ago and spiked a fever last night. He's been around them 3-4x already and nothing to show for it, so let's hope it is, and we get it over with!!

Good luck. I've had my almost four year old daughter exposed to this highly contagious illness three times (that I know about), and she still hasn't gotten it. Maybe when she weans...

Partner to Rbikenew.gif ('03); Parent to T read.gif('07), Aviolin.gif ('10), and E ecbaby2.gif ('13)

femalesling.GIFhomeschool.gifchicken3.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif 

#304 of 521 Old 01-16-2011, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by revolting View PostI've had my almost four year old daughter exposed to this highly contagious illness three times (that I know about), and she still hasn't gotten it. Maybe when she weans...

Yeah, me too-- he's been exposed 3 or 4 times, to no avail. He's turning 10. But technically he had his last ceremonial nursing on his birthday last year love.gif So I dunno if weaning has anything to do with it...quite possibly. He's got a kick-ass immune system.

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

#305 of 521 Old 01-16-2011, 03:00 PM

Quote:

This is specifically aimed at Liza and Cari-- I'm on a local list where a mama is going to Alaska for a vacay, and here is her question. I told her I'd ask you guys:

>>>We haven't decided if we are going to try to drive to Fairbanks, or go visit Kodiak...but we are going to spend several days touring the non-coast of Alaska.  Have any of you been?  What do you suggest as "must-see's", and what do you think we should pass on?

>

I have not been to Kodiak - but that is where I would go.  If they are already spending time in the interior (I'm guessing they are driving up) they will see much of what FBX has to offer. Coastal AK is very different. However, getting there is certainly an added expense of flying to taking the ferry so at least a couple hundred per person.  Kodiak is a large island and roads cross a little bit of it. I'm hoping to get out there this year - DH will go hunting and I will take the kids 'sploring.'

Quote:

I hope it's CP & an easy case.

DS is 1 part super-sweet 1 part learning to be 'big' and 1 parT DRIVING ME NUTS ( MORE LATER __ DD JUST MESSED UP MY KEYBOARD AND ITS ONLY TYPING IN ALL CAPS< BUT ALL CAP ISN"T ON **** ARGH!! I EVEN GET EXPLANATION POINTS INSTEAD OF THE NUMBER ONE)

Liza - Bird watching, tree hugging, dirt eating, kinda-crunchy momma to my cub (3) and bird (1). treehugger.gifcold.gifdust.gifflower.gif
#306 of 521 Old 01-16-2011, 04:14 PM

i had CP when i was 10. my brother got like 4 and i got 4 million. i was a huge pox mess. oatmeal baths were nice though.

dd got them when she was really little, like less then one. then over a year ago she ended up with shingles due to stress. poor kid.

h

mama to 6 amazing children joy.gif married to my main man for 21 years love.gif and finally home FULL time dishes.gifhang.gifknit.gif

#307 of 521 Old 01-16-2011, 05:26 PM

Maia, hope you son end up with an easy mild case of CP!

DOK - better having CP many times than Shingles. ;-)  Me, I got CP twice (toddler and 10) and Shingles twice also (11 and 2009). I now hope to stay clear from this virus till the end!!!

I'm not feeling too well but I'm taking steps to get better.

I'm thinking of my Pagan tribe even when I'm not around. ;-)  Don't worry if I don't post often... I'm just not feeling chatty right now.

Valérie   
#308 of 521 Old 01-16-2011, 05:51 PM

DoK, hope you're taking good care of yourself. My half-sister also had chicken pox three times, mild every time, so it happens. My understanding of immunity to it is that we need our kids to be exposed to it so we build our waning immunity back up...I guess it only lasts so long. Of course, we could also get a chicken pox vaccine...and then the shingles vaccine, but that's not how I roll.

Come ponder with me about food!
#309 of 521 Old 01-16-2011, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluets View Post

ds tries to wiggle out of admitting something - like biting his nails.  HELLO - you've chomped them all, I'm not blind!  so finally, we stopped making such a big deal, taking a less accusatory position and more a curiosity driven perspective.  But yeah, I find that the denial arises whenever he's got neurons connecting in his brain at a rapid clip.

Aubergine - so cool about your dd!  And what a cool plant to start her exploration :)  BTW, Brigitte Mars has a whole book on dandelion recipes.

Cari - i saw that change in payment plans.  I would start with the goddess haven one - because you need to have a wonderful spot for the other 2 courses.  And how is the workbook working for you?  BTW, I learned that my cousin lives in your neck of the woods though I'm not sure exactly where....

That's the one I'm doing first bluets :D   I love the workbook, have done pretty much the whole thing, outlining the epic 2011 that I will have thumb.gif  That's cool that your cousin lives near here (near brisbane?) ... I wish an mdc mama from our group did though!   THAT would be excellent!

Maia,  my almost 9yo i doing whta bluets said above too.  Earlier he got in trouble for something and when he thought I was not looking (but I was) he bashed his littlest brother on the back.  And then said oops when I grrr'd at him!  Like he's only sorry he  got caught, not that he did it to begin with *sigh*

Quote:

Sigh.

Oh, mamas-- I came on here to tell you the best news!!! I got curious about my payoff loan for my car, and OMGs, I only have $267.54 left!!! I can't believe it!! If I pay it all by the 28th, there's no interest. If I pay it after that, it's $0.05 per day. I can't pay it all this month, I don't think-- I will have to wait till my income comes in, and see, around the 22nd, what things look like.

But isn't that so exciting??? I can now put that money towards my credit card. YAY!!!!!!  joy.gif

woot, that's awesome news!

Quote:

This is specifically aimed at Liza and Cari-- I'm on a local list where a mama is going to Alaska for a vacay, and here is her question. I told her I'd ask you guys:

>>>We haven't decided if we are going to try to drive to Fairbanks, or go visit Kodiak...but we are going to spend several days touring the non-coast of Alaska.  Have any of you been?  What do you suggest as "must-see's", and what do you think we should pass on?

>

I would go Kodiak too, if they are already doing interior alaska stsuff (i'm guessing denali national park and such?  which is spectacular!) Kodiak is definitely the way to go!  I have never been myself, but the islands apparently have a lot to offer & see.    Must see's for me in non coastal areas, would be the Matanuska glacier ...it's pretty amazing to see this gazillion (ok exaggerating lol) year old creeping sheet of ice!  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie.Qc View Post

I'm thinking of my Pagan tribe even when I'm not around. ;-)  Don't worry if I don't post often... I'm just not feeling chatty right now.

hug2.gif

I have some great news to share as well along the lines of maia's sorta... despite not being able to work but one day last week, and only helping in cleanup at the warehouse at least this week... the company dh is contracted with is going to pay all of their drivers roughly 2/3 of their regular daily income, even IF they cannot get there to help with the cleanup!    They are under absolutely NO obligation to do this, as the drivers are all self employed contract drivers!   I can panic less about paying the rent now!  And as importantly,  we can give a bit of money to the flood relief fund, buy some supplies for the cleanup crews etc biggrinbounce.gif  I am SO happy that he found this job, they seem like a super group of people to be working with. 

I haven't heard from my employers yet... I'm pretty sure that I cannot get into the area where the office is at all, the main highway that way just opened yesterday I think, to limited traffic.  the suburb was fairly well inundated.  I will give them a day or two then try the boss to see if he needs me to help out once the roads in are clear.

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
#310 of 521 Old 01-17-2011, 05:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

DOK - better having CP many times than Shingles. ;-)  Me, I got CP twice (toddler and 10) and Shingles twice also (11 and 2009). I now hope to stay clear from this virus till the end!!!

I had shingles when I was about 19 or 20. The doc called in a bunch of the docs from the practice to look at it because they hadn't seen a case of shingles yet.  Yeah, that wasn't too uncomfortable... having a bunch of docs stare under my boob area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by witchygrrl View Post

DoK, hope you're taking good care of yourself. My half-sister also had chicken pox three times, mild every time, so it happens.

I had some hot flashes (mild fever) before the spots and a headache but have felt fine since then.  Haven't done a full body check yet this morning but I did just notice a new one on my breast.  I wouldn't be surprised if I had a couple on my back because it was itchy yesterday (I had ds scratch my back. He's the best back scratcher!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CariOfOz View Post

I have some great news to share as well along the lines of maia's sorta... despite not being able to work but one day last week, and only helping in cleanup at the warehouse at least this week... the company dh is contracted with is going to pay all of their drivers roughly 2/3 of their regular daily income, even IF they cannot get there to help with the cleanup!   

Fabulous news!

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

#311 of 521 Old 01-17-2011, 05:51 AM

Cari- Goodnews!

DOK- Hope you are feeling better today!

Val- Oh dear, I was hoping for a "I feel better" update. Get some rest and I hope you are on the mend.

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#312 of 521 Old 01-17-2011, 06:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeress View Post

DOK- Hope you are feeling better today!

I've pretty much felt fine during this.  smile.gif

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

#313 of 521 Old 01-17-2011, 07:12 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

DOK: that's coz you're a young, healthy goddess :)

good morning to all you other young healthy goddesses :)

Jennifer, Naturopath and mom

#314 of 521 Old 01-17-2011, 07:55 AM

I havent been around for awhile...I dont know why I am so bad about keeping up here as I really do enjoy it.

So just wanted to say hi (again) and I will be spending this gloomy monday in pjs trying to catch up in between playing with the kids:)

Nicole - )0( unschooling mama to Lilahblahblah.gif (12/21/05) and Cianwild.gif (9/21/07) as well as 3 dog2.gif 2 cat.gif,  4 rats, chicken3.gif and ducks

#315 of 521 Old 01-17-2011, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie.Qc View PostMaia, hope you son end up with an easy mild case of CP!

I hope he has it at all. No spots yet. Pleasepleaseplease let him have them! I know, that sounds awful...redface.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by CariOfOz View Postthe company dh is contracted with is going to pay all of their drivers roughly 2/3 of their regular daily income, even IF they cannot get there to help with the cleanup!    They are under absolutely NO obligation to do this, as the drivers are all self employed contract drivers!   I can panic less about paying the rent now!  And as importantly,  we can give a bit of money to the flood relief fund, buy some supplies for the cleanup crews etc biggrinbounce.gif  I am SO happy that he found this job, they seem like a super group of people to be working with. 

I haven't heard from my employers yet... I'm pretty sure that I cannot get into the area where the office is at all, the main highway that way just opened yesterday I think, to limited traffic.  the suburb was fairly well inundated.  I will give them a day or two then try the boss to see if he needs me to help out once the roads in are clear.

That IS awesome, Cari. Yay for great employers! It seems they're too hard to come by anymore.

One more day till M gets his phone turned back on orngbiggrin.gif

ETA: oh yeah! Thanks so much Cari and Liza!!

#316 of 521 Old 01-17-2011, 10:19 AM

cari: that is great news! always wonderful to hook up with a great company. :)

h

mama to 6 amazing children joy.gif married to my main man for 21 years love.gif and finally home FULL time dishes.gifhang.gifknit.gif

#317 of 521 Old 01-17-2011, 10:58 AM

That cake rocks!  I feel like I need to start making spiffy birthday cakes or something... I remember as a kid that was always the best part, picking out which cake I wanted from the betty crocker cake book.  :)

CP- we did the summer of pox this past summer.  It was loooong, and hot, and itchy.  But not too bad really, even with Ro's sensory issues ruling out most otc treatments.  Spritz bottles were a big hit... they sort of distract from the itch and deliver herbal soothing goodness without rubbing.

heyla greenmagick!

Alaska travel- are they doing this during the winter?  My brother is in Fairbanks (not really a tourist destination in my mind, unless they're looking for the northern lights.  There are HUGE travel groups that go to Fairbanks for the northern lights) and when he was stranded here in NY I asked about flying into Anchorage and driving to Fairbanks.  He felt that driving interior Alaska in January was "not bright" unless absolutely necessary, and if you were going to do it you'd need to be really well prepared.  Your friends might be going during a friendlier season, but just in case... make sure they're prepared for looooong lonely drives!  :)

The girls are still obsessed with mythbusters.  It's really kind of cute.  Though last night Laia was sobbing and when I asked her what was wrong she said "I was figuring out how to build my monster truck, but it crashed my brain and I lost all the pictures!".  Maybe I need to statr pushing a few "non-mythbuster" dvds into the rotation.  LOL

school- we're going back and forth on what to do with the kiddos this coming school year... I think we have a budget friendly, kid friendly, compromise.  We'll enroll dd1 and dd2 in LittleLeaf (where dd1 goes now) for the 2 day a week homeschooler enrichment program.  And we'll enroll dd1 in the Oak Meadow distance learning program (so we wont have to jump through the NYS homeschooling hoops).  It's not that much more than we're paying right now and it SHOULD (fingers crossed) be within the amount I'll be making with this new job.

new job- I have the chest cold from hades...and the rest of the family is sick too.  I need to have a long talk with DH about what I need in terms of support.  I've added a 20+ hr/week job to my regular SAH life and honestly I need a lot of help to get this all integrated.  I know it'll smooth out, but right now I'm sleep deprived, sick, and trying to find 20 hours of "spare time" in the week!

health- hope everyone feels better fast!  Tea, tapping, and herbal steam.... go!  LOL

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#318 of 521 Old 01-17-2011, 01:24 PM

we love mythbusters here too.

teens and other kids: my kids are very mouthy and talk very rudely. i am kinda embarassed about it. DH talks like that. i love him and the fact that he doesnt care what other people think but i also dont think children should talk like that. i have decided to crack down on it and am quite ashamned i let it get this bad. from now on they are expected to talk nicely. no teasing. no cussing etc. i have to stay on top of it but they will eventually get in the habit of talking respectfully. just got to model it for them.

Me,DH,DS1'95, '98,DSD'03,DD1'07,DD2'09,DS2'12 Living with Fructose Malabsorption Syndrome and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome Type 3-Hypermobility.)o( and sometimes I get toif I am lucky.
#319 of 521 Old 01-17-2011, 02:19 PM

clay: that sounds like a good idea for the homeschooling. feel better soon!

i have been toying with doing something more organized this year. although i love the idea of unschooling, it never seems to work out well here. we need alot more scheduling and organization. ds#1 wants to start 8th grade in the fall. although he is totally ready almost 100% he does need to get on tack with his math. so we are working on that and his penmanship is HORRID! lol so i am having him do some journal writing, which hopefully will help some. lol

today while at the store i did something, i have no idea what, and tweeked my neck. now all down my right arm is painful and i have a monster headache and my neck is stiff. i don't know what i did, i was fine, then i was in lots of pain. i got home and just cried and cried. i am so tired of stuff hurting. anyway, i took tylenol and motrin and had a heating pad on my neck/shoulder on the right side and how i can at least be up right, but i can't turn my head to the left at all. and we had plans to go for a walk and have a picnic today. i am so bummed. 

and i am starting to feel all antsy. i just want this baby to be born. i feel like we are in this holding pattern, can't really make plans, can't go anywhere (far from home), everyone (kids, dh other family members, friends) keeps eyeing me. any time i moan (which is about 1000 times a day anymore since my groin is so sore) everyone says "are you in labor" agh!!! lol NO! but i wish i was. 

and to make myself feel better i just chowed down on 3 brownies. lol didn't really help, but made my tummy upset. lol 

ok so on a lighter note, i had a dream that i was thin and in shape and was wearing victoria's secret underwear (i looked HOT! like i did back when i was young and tasty. lol) which got me thinking that i don't really want to keep looking like i look after this baby comes. i am almost 40 and we are going to have this new little person in our lives and i don't want to be the old mom who can't keep up. i will be almost my mom's age when the kids is only just 20. so i think i am going to start doing something??? i don't know what yet. BUT dd and ds#2 want to run the 1/2 marathon next jan (pf chang's rock and roll marathon is in jan) so maybe???? they want at least dh to do it, so we will see. 

ok must go lie down again. bleck!

h

#320 of 521 Old 01-17-2011, 02:58 PM

MO3, a quick fix.  have your dh or your oldest dd/ds help you figure out which vertebra is out of place.  to do this, they press on one vertebra at a time starting at the base of your skull.  as they press, you turn your head, first to the NOT painful side, then ot the painful side, then back to the NOT painful side.  start at the top, work your way down, one vertebra at a time.  your dh/dd/ds is to only offer some resistance, not to cause any cracking/ it won't be a full 100% fix, but it should give you some comfort.  

#321 of 521 Old 01-17-2011, 03:09 PM

MO3, I hope you feel better soon hug2.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View PostThough last night Laia was sobbing and when I asked her what was wrong she said "I was figuring out how to build my monster truck, but it crashed my brain and I lost all the pictures!".  Maybe I need to statr pushing a few "non-mythbuster" dvds into the rotation.  LOL

school- we're going back and forth on what to do with the kiddos this coming school year... I think we have a budget friendly, kid friendly, compromise.  We'll enroll dd1 and dd2 in LittleLeaf (where dd1 goes now) for the 2 day a week homeschooler enrichment program.  And we'll enroll dd1 in the Oak Meadow distance learning program (so we wont have to jump through the NYS homeschooling hoops).  It's not that much more than we're paying right now and it SHOULD (fingers crossed) be within the amount I'll be making with this new job.

Sounds like she's more hanging out around computers than a TV show lol.gif

Yay for solutions! Thanks for the extra Alaska stuff. I think she's got enough to work with, now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionessMom View PostDH talks like that. i love him and the fact that he doesnt care what other people think but i also dont think children should talk like that. i have decided to crack down on it and am quite ashamned i let it get this bad. from now on they are expected to talk nicely. no teasing. no cussing etc. i have to stay on top of it but they will eventually get in the habit of talking respectfully. just got to model it for them.

Yeah, that's really hard to teach kids stuff when the adults don't model it. M has been alone so long, and without littles around for so long, that his mouth is foul unless you remind him. He's usually pretty aware if ds is in the room when we cam or voice chat, but he does forget sometimes. Is there no asking your DH to try to be aware of his own behavior? As for the kids-- yeah-- my ds is generally well-mannered and has good habits with language, but he almost seems to TRY to make bad habits. For instance, when he was little our babysitter was a Baptist preacher's kid, and I raised him not to say "Oh my God" because some people (especially here in the south) could maybe get offended by that. Well in the last year or so, he is intentionally saying "oh my God" instead of Oh My Word or Oh My Gosh or whatever. And another is "what the..." He says "what the crap?". I mean, ugh, that's such an ugly word. I try to redirect him to "what the heck" but he keeps saying it. Ack. It's so annoying.

#322 of 521 Old 01-17-2011, 06:30 PM

here's a mock curse word my dad tried to teach me when i was younger: parkenfarker

it sounds like a curse.  but a young tongue stumbles over it... or forgets it (that was my problem - i could never remember it)...  parken-who?

#323 of 521 Old 01-17-2011, 06:51 PM

I always use "Baba Yaga" as my outburst of choice.  Unfortunately, my mom uses a more earthy term (for excrement) and Laia has picked that up.  She has come out with it a half dozen times this week and we're at our wits end in terms of getting her to stop.  (we don't "reward" it with a big response, we've suggest alternatives, we've asked her to explain why she used the word, etc).

I'm sooooo tired.  Hopefully the cold is on the way out... the wee folk had slight fevers yesterday but were fine today (though still massively cranky) and I seem to be a few days behind so here's hoping!

mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#324 of 521 Old 01-18-2011, 12:55 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valerie.Qc View PostMaia, hope you son end up with an easy mild case of CP!

I hope he has it at all. No spots yet. Pleasepleaseplease let him have them! I know, that sounds awful...redface.gif

Thinkin poxxy vibes for him hun lol.  I remember when these 3 had em... it started out with Lucas, then connor, then quinn.... it took 2months for them to all rotate through!  And LUCAS was actually the last one to recover!  His poor immune system was so abused, which is when I removed him from school.  I'm sincerely hoping his system is a bit more hardy now. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View Post

I rather liked OM, but I never used the distance ed 'school' , just the curriculum.   Hope it works out well for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaofthree View Post

clay: that sounds like a good idea for the homeschooling. feel better soon!

i have been toying with doing something more organized this year. although i love the idea of unschooling <snip>

today while at the store i did something, i have no idea what, and tweeked my neck. now all down my right arm is painful and i have a monster headache and my neck is stiff. i don't know what i did, i was fine, then i was in lots of pain. i got home and just cried and cried. i am so tired of stuff hurting. anyway, i took tylenol and motrin and had a heating pad on my neck/shoulder on the right side and how i can at least be up right, but i can't turn my head to the left at all. and we had plans to go for a walk and have a picnic today. i am so bummed. 

ok so on a lighter note, i had a dream that i was thin and in shape and was wearing victoria's secret underwear (i looked HOT! like i did back when i was young and tasty. lol) which got me thinking that i don't really want to keep looking like i look after this baby comes. i am almost 40 and we are going to have this new little person in our lives and i don't want to be the old mom who can't keep up. i will be almost my mom's age when the kids is only just 20. so i think i am going to start doing something??? i don't know what yet. BUT dd and ds#2 want to run the 1/2 marathon next jan (pf chang's rock and roll marathon is in jan) so maybe???? they want at least dh to do it, so we will see. 

ok must go lie down again. bleck!

Unschooling didn't work out well for us either, although I do like the idea of it!  For me, it was just too hard to keep up with since there are 3 of them and one of me lol.  (well, 2 schoolers but quinn most assuredly has his own interests ;)  We got to a routine where we had about 1.5hrs of 'schoolwork' a day (math, handwriting, reading eggs, and either a little science or history)  and that worked the best for us.  We added in documentaries and other more active projects that aren't included in that time as well.

Re, your neck!  UGH,  I have done the same thing... it doesn't take much, the last time I tweaked my neck like that I went to the doc and she asked what I'd done and I had to honestly say I turned my head?  lol   Maybe a little massage from one of the kids? 

Wanna be exercise buddies? :P  I have been planning to get back to curves for weeks now, but floods, weather, new jobs, and now school are mucking up my schedule!  One of the gym staff called to make sure we hadn't flooded and I told her if she doesn't see me on Monday to call my sorry ass and tell me to GET IN THERE!!!   

I got my buddy shift & my corporate orientations rescheduled, yay!  I'm getting a bit nervy about how we are going to handle some of the logistics of this undertaking though.    But, I'm sure we'll work out something once I start regular shifts, the training is often during the day though which is rather inconvenient!

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
#325 of 521 Old 01-18-2011, 05:33 AM

Exercise- I have Wii fitting it for about 2 weeks, lost 5ish lbs so far. Never thought I would say that I am exercising using a video game.

Though we had doughnuts and cheese danish this morning, which means, extra time for me today.

Curse words- We use darn it, with the occassional "crap" thrown in. Nothing too bad, but we do say "oh my god" a lot, and are all working on that. My new favorite word is "crivens"!

Schooling/Unschooling/Curriculum- It sounds like Oak Meadow would work well. I want to either have a true co-op going by the time Bella enters middle school years or found a great tutor for Math and Science.  I would love to send her to a science/technology based charter school, but we don't have one, at all.

The teacher in me, won't allow me to use any one curriculum, but that is me, being me. Sheepish.gif I am dreaming of what we will purchase for next year.

So, how are the pox coming?

Bella turns 9 today! Happy Birthday my Isabella Ann! We are making a chocolate vanilla cake, with raspberry filling, and chocolate fudge icing!

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#326 of 521 Old 01-18-2011, 05:34 AM

Quote:

Thinking about you too.  Hugs:)

Quote:

I have some great news to share as well along the lines of maia's sorta... despite not being able to work but one day last week, and only helping in cleanup at the warehouse at least this week... the company dh is contracted with is going to pay all of their drivers roughly 2/3 of their regular daily income, even IF they cannot get there to help with the cleanup!    They are under absolutely NO obligation to do this, as the drivers are all self employed contract drivers!   I can panic less about paying the rent now!  And as importantly,  we can give a bit of money

Great news!!  How wonderful to not have that to worry about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmagick View Post

I havent been around for awhile...I dont know why I am so bad about keeping up here as I really do enjoy it.

So just wanted to say hi (again) and I will be spending this gloomy monday in pjs trying to catch up in between playing with the kids:)

Hi:)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionessMom View Post

we love mythbusters here too.

teens and other kids: my kids are very mouthy and talk very rudely. i am kinda embarassed about it. DH talks like that. i love him and the fact that he doesnt care what other people think but i also dont think children should talk like that. i have decided to crack down on it and am quite ashamned i let it get this bad. from now on they are expected to talk nicely. no teasing. no cussing etc. i have to stay on top of it but they will eventually get in the habit of talking respectfully. just got to model it for them.

Mythbusters is a show the entire family watches here.

Teens and rude talk is an ongoing battle here too.  Some days are better than others at being able to nip it. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaofthree View Post

and i am starting to feel all antsy. i just want this baby to be born. i feel like we are in this holding pattern, can't really make plans, can't go anywhere (far from home), everyone (kids, dh other family members, friends) keeps eyeing me. any time i moan (which is about 1000 times a day anymore since my groin is so sore) everyone says "are you in labor" agh!!! lol NO! but i wish i was. 

Hugs. I remember towards the end how long it felt, being pregnant forever.  I hope it's soon.

This year is my year to get in shape.  I am 45 and feel like it's now or never.  It just isn't as much fun taking it off as it was putting it on!

Quote:

Wanna be exercise buddies? :P  I have been planning to get back to curves for weeks now, but floods, weather, new jobs, and now school are mucking up my schedule!  One of the gym staff called to make sure we hadn't flooded and I told her if she doesn't see me on Monday to call my sorry ass and tell me to GET IN THERE!!!   

This is what I need.  To find someone local who can help me stay on task and I help them as well.  Sometimes the rural lifestyle has it's negative side.  I am thinking when my kids go to college in a little over a year, year and a half to move south.  Maybe North or South carolina, Georgia??  I want to see where my lids end up though so I can be close to them.

#327 of 521 Old 01-18-2011, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeress View Post

Bella turns 9 today! Happy Birthday my Isabella Ann! We are making a chocolate vanilla cake, with raspberry filling, and chocolate fudge icing!

Happy Birthday:)  Hopes it a fantastic day!!

#328 of 521 Old 01-18-2011, 05:36 AM

Today is a snow day!!!  pj's and finish the Weeds marathon is what we will be doing.  It is so cold today.  I am so over Winter!

#329 of 521 Old 01-18-2011, 06:10 AM

Crivens!

There wouldn't happen to be a pursin' o' the lips or a tappin' o' the foot thrown in for good measure, would there?

#330 of 521 Old 01-18-2011, 08:43 AM

i have such an awful potty mouth, especially when driving. thankfully the kids are pretty good about NOT repeating what i say. dd is trying to feel out swear words, but she is 16, so i feel a bit weird saying she can't when i am spewing them. i do feel that cussing is a lazy way to talk and i let her know that. she takes pride in being well read and so she sort of agrees with that.

cari: that is sort of my plan for homeschooling here. not all day stuff just something everyday.

h

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page