January Pagan Circle - Page 17 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#481 of 521 Old 01-29-2011, 03:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by femme_rouge View PostHappy birthday to your DS, Pamela!  Hope the party's fun and the dad comes through.

You and me both. I think he's on the way, soon.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CariOfOz View PostHope the water heater is salvagable!   And kudos to M on his crock pot triumph!  And the great thing for him, is that whatever he cooks will likely be enough to reheat for a couple of meals thumb.gif

Happy birthday to the boy, and happy birthing day to you!!!!!

I hope so, too. I keep trying things and it still doesn't heat water past 7-8 minutes. It heats like crazy...just not for very long. M is UBER happy with his crock pot triumph. He said now that he's got his feet wet, he's hooked. And yeah, it was a 3+ pound roast, with potatoes and green beans (fresh veggies, yay!) so he's hoping (lol) that he saves enough for work on Monday!

My birthing day-- I'd totally forgotten that I was involved in this lol.gif Thank you!! His actual birthday is Monday. He was born on a Wednesday at exactly 6pm. Very, very traumatic birth-- dunno if I want to relive that much, but I'm so glad he's here and safe and happy and healthy love.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaofthree View Postthings here are good. baby is wonderful. finding that i am falling in love with dh again. so nice to feel this close again. :)

Yay, that sounds so cool, I am glad y'all are pulling closer. How are the other kids doing with it all?

Thanks for the good wishes, y'all orngbiggrin.gif

OK, I'm really tired, and really, really done. I wish the other parents would hurry up. It's 1.5 hours past the end of the party time. And I still have to deal with the water heater thing. He has to take one out, take my car probably to Lowe's or Home Depot, get new elements, and come back and replace them. While I put up with my crazy, no-longer-medicated kid and the other kid(s). Eek. I'm DONE faint.gifNot to mention that they've been getting along like gangbusters, but it's going to fizzle soon. It always does when it goes on too long.

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

#482 of 521 Old 01-29-2011, 06:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Congrats on the new wee one that's arrived!  That's so wonderful, and I have been keeping you in my thoughts for sure.

Quote:
Very, very traumatic birth-- dunno if I want to relive that much, but I'm so glad he's here and safe and happy and healthy love.gif

Understood, for sure, but so are we mama, so are we. heartbeat.gif

Ughh life is... well, life. My fiance's sister was down visiting after dropping her Dh at the airport and on her way home (3+ hrs away) her van broke down. We think the tranny is toast. Man person and his dad went to get sister, but she's been stuck here since due to a dragging a@@ father in law who has the trailer to tow her home. Grrr! Soon to be SIL is 6.5 mo pregnant and has a mama dog and a 2 mo puppy w her. It's been an interesting 2 days.

Also, have we ever talked about practicing/spiritual/magical names here? whistling.gif

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
#483 of 521 Old 01-29-2011, 06:41 PM

Quote:
no-longer-medicated kid and the other kid(s). Eek. I'm DONE faint.gifNot to mention that they've been getting along like gangbusters, but it's going to fizzle soon. It always does when it goes on too long.

Oh man I totally know that scene! I wish we were all there... you'd have been saved by the super Pagan mommies. superhero.gif

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
#484 of 521 Old 01-29-2011, 08:45 PM

maia: the other kids are doing pretty good. dd and ds#1 are so helpful and ds#2 is so sweet, he said if anyone ever messed with her he would kick their butt. lol ds#3 is maybe acting out a bit, more drama, being sorta sneaky, but not to bad. ds#4 he is actually being really sweet to dh. so that is nice.

ds#4 used the potty today and wore underwear for a good half the day. energy.gif

my folks are coming over tomorrow and they actually asked what i was making for dinner. i was like, whatever you are bringing. sheesh. then my mom said what dh can't make dinner. you know sometimes it is like she tries to be pissy and hate on my man. it makes me nuts. we were planning on ham and roasted veggies anyway, but still.

you ever wonder about your parents? i think that maybe my mom doesn't like to see me happy and content. when i am stressed, upset and unhappy she seems like she is happy, but when i am happy and feeling great she can be so b!tchy to me and my family. sorta twisted.

anyway... i have a beautiful girl sleeping on my shoulder, and a wonderful man laying next to me and a house full of wild children. life is freakin' awesome. luxlove.gif

h

mama to 6 amazing children joy.gif married to my main man for 21 years love.gif and finally home FULL time dishes.gifhang.gifknit.gif

#485 of 521 Old 01-30-2011, 06:13 AM

Mamaofthree- Umm, I thought it was customary to bring food to the new Mom and family? Wow, I can't even imagine having to feed my family (outside of heating up left overs) after having a baby.

It sounds like you guys are adjusting. :)

*yawn* Sleepover a success. Me- very tired, had Erin bug in bed with me. Kids up way too late. Lots of food eaten. Watched new Shrek movie

Maia- Oh dear lord, what a nasty spelling error on my part- dog poop, not doop poop. I really need to edit my posts...

How did the party go for ds?

Happy Birthday DS!

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#486 of 521 Old 01-30-2011, 06:38 AM - Thread Starter

We were invited over for a playdate but I want to give Roo more time to get over the worst of this cold.  He needs all the energy he can get to fight this.  He moaned, coughed, and sniffled all night long (wish he would #$@$% blow his nose!)  I'm wiped out and I'm sure he is, too.

Would love it if we could both take a nap.  Oh how I miss the days of napping (he stopped napping by the time he was 1 1/2!)

Maia- Lucky you!  I've had fertility problems for many years.  I wasn't even supposed to be able to get pregnant so it was a HUGE surprise (to me and the docs) when I found out I was pregnant with Roo.  

Even if I could get conceive easily at this point, I wouldn't do it.  Maybe if I was married, normal weight, financially stable (etc), I would consider it.  But... I'm none of those.  

So Roo will remain an only child.  I admit it really makes me sad.  gloomy.gif  bawling.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiasaura View Post

Well, I'm 51 and just as fertile as I was at 15. 

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

#487 of 521 Old 01-30-2011, 06:48 AM

Happy birthing and birthdays!  And yay for happy parties and joyful kiddos (and for being able to send some of them back to their own families LOL)

Personally, I like doop poop.  It sounds... amusingly Dr Suessian.  :)

Quote:

Clay - can you confirm if this is the jist of that house cleansing wash you make up at the holidays?  Did it go like a several drops of  TTO, a splish of GSE, a tich of concentrated soap (like bronners), water & ... vingear? 

My blend actually uses hydrogen peroxide instead of vinegar... it's fun to watch it froth and foam, and it's a decent sanitizer.  Not as hard core as bleach, but still good for getting rid of the ickies.  And it doesn't lead to "super bugs".  I have it in a spray bottle and when I have something that needs "scrubbing" (toilet or shower or counter or whatever) I sprinkle the surface with baking soda and then spray to make a paste.  Works great.  Though for sheer fun, packing a drain with baking soda and pouring in some vinegar can't be beat.  And while it wont handle big clogs, it's a good way to keep your drains clear and clean if done regularly.

More snow falling...  it's still pretty out here but down in town the snow is pretty much yuck.  It wasn't till we lived in a few different cities that I realized the main reason I didn't like spring was the nasty melty snow.  In the city there just wasn't much snow, and no real mud, and all of a sudden I discovered I really liked spring!  Now that I'm back in the country... hyup... the early spring mud season is just no fun.  It's cold and grey AND it's not pretty AND mud gets everywhere!  Late spring rocks, once you've got green and flowers and all that.  But around here that doesn't really happen till the Equinox... and even then you need a coat and maybe a scarf to be comfy outside.

I have a wonderful bowl of purple crocus blooming on the table though.  Totally smile worthy!

And I love the idea of flaming something or other for Imbolc!

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#488 of 521 Old 01-30-2011, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnschoolnMa Oh man I totally know that scene! I wish we were all there... you'd have been saved by the super Pagan mommies. superhero.gif

Thanks! Though, by that time, I was totally wiped. No meltdowns, but I had to take Tylenol for a wicked headache, which you know is bad, because I don't get headaches. Steve did not do the water heater because it was 7pm by that time (the party was supposed to end at 5) and he would have had to drain the water heater, then run to Lowe's or Home Depot to get new elements (if they're even open that late), then come back and switch them out, and my hose was frozen anyway from being outside.

And I would never, ever have been able to handle any more company later than it already was. I'm a pumpkin by like 7pm these days. Srsly, I'm in bed by like 8. I told ds he could stay up till 9, but in his room and QUIET, and I went to bed.

All in all, though, the party was a rousing success thumb.gif

I think I may have sort of figured out the non-invited-kid dilemma. He had a paper invitation! I think one of the two who didn't show up-- probably the boy who ds had a problem with at HIS party two weeks ago-- passed on the invitation, probably in disgust. I'm so sorry that my boy and this other boy aren't getting along, and I'm really dismayed to find that the mom had a snotty streak, but whatever. We can't have everybody like us.

DS loved my present. He opened it this morning. I got him a new (to him) backpack chock-full of survival stuff: folding mini shovel, two flashlights, The Tracker by Tom Brown, Jr, a wilderness survival guide and also a book, a big ball of jute twine, a fake leatherman tool (a cheapie), a whole bunch of other stuff, and a REAL Swiss Army Knife *shudder* scared.gifhorrors.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by mamaofthree View Postmy folks are coming over tomorrow and they actually asked what i was making for dinner. i was like, whatever you are bringing. sheesh.

you ever wonder about your parents? i think that maybe my mom doesn't like to see me happy and content. when i am stressed, upset and unhappy she seems like she is happy, but when i am happy and feeling great she can be so b!tchy to me and my family. sorta twisted.

Sheesh indeed! Um, hello, where's the casserole?

Yeah, I wonder, too. My mom just thinks I'm a nutcase because I march to a different drummer. And it pisses her off no end. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaughterOfKali View PostMaia- Lucky you!  I've had fertility problems for many years.  I wasn't even supposed to be able to get pregnant so it was a HUGE surprise (to me and the docs) when I found out I was pregnant with you.  

Well...thank you, I think lol.gif I am again, as y'all know, sexually active again, and I would DIE if I got pregnant now. Especially since M is Catholic and he would never, ever condone terminating. Which, at my age, I would not hesitate to do, sorry to say. So, no, I do not want that to happen At.All.

Um...found out you were pregnant with me? ROTFLMAO.gifThat was a silly typo! LOL!

DOK, this hcg protocol really works wonders, and it's done wonders for my self-esteem since losing the weight I've lost so far...maybe go over and peruse the thread that M3M started? I did lots and lots of reading before I plunged in, but since you cook separately for you and Roo anyway, maybe you could think about it?

Quote:

Originally Posted by wombatclay View PostNow that I'm back in the country... hyup... the early spring mud season is just no fun.  It's cold and grey AND it's not pretty AND mud gets everywhere! 

And I love the idea of flaming something or other for Imbolc!

Ye Gods, y'all should see my driveway. And the empty lot next door, which some of it is part of my driveway. It's a mudpit. It's kind of fun to slip and slide on the way to the road, but it'd really s*ck if I slid *into* the road, plus, my car is just covered in mud till it all dries up. I really want to wash it, but there's no point till like....May.

Flaming something...they're all made with alcohol, no?

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

#489 of 521 Old 01-30-2011, 09:08 AM

Morning all!  Maia glad to hear the party was a wonderful success & you may have solved the mystery!! woohoo!  Yes most flaming items are made with alcohol.  The actual alcohol burns off (i.e. the flames) and you are left with the remains of the item you are using as a flavor. 

I am knee deep in cleaning fun (*eyerolls*) and so far I'm glad I got the EOs in addition to the Tea Tree and Grapefruit Seed Extract, the house is starting to smell yummy and like sunshine coming in. And now I'm off to research how to vacuum pillows and to see what I can make for a general air spritzer once I'm done vacuuming (with my newly made carpet deodorizer - baking soda, TTO, Ginger EO, Tangerine EO & a couple of cinnamon sticks) 

Thanks Clay for the cleaning confirm and lo - I do have hydrogen peroxide!  I'm trying to keep my thoughts on target with this is getting rid of the ickies, instead of my usual - OH GODDESS save me as I loathe cleaning!!

all I have is a brief time for a pop-in and wish everyone a happy and hopefully relaxing Sunday!!

treehugger.gifAnd you who seek to know Me, know that the seeking and yearning will avail you not, unless you know the Mystery: for if that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without.treehugger.gif

#490 of 521 Old 01-30-2011, 10:20 AM

Hello, all!  

My dh is starting his new job next week.  Vibes of success for him would be appreciated, candles lit any morning next week. If this flops, we are in deep financial doop poop (I am so going to use this phrase now, hope you don't mind, Aeress lol.gif)  My dd finished her first term of homeschooling work with A+ grades -- it is working for her.  So happy about that.

Congratulations on your new daughter, Mo3.  I am so happy for you and your family - and - yeah, just don't cook a big family meal for your relatives at this point (What are they *thinking* to even ask?They should be taking care of *you*, your feet shouldn't even touch the ground for weeks yet.)

Happy birthday to your son, Maia, and I hope your water heater gets fixed!  

Unschooln - hope your unexpected houseguests find their way to where they need to be soon.  Sounds disruptive.

Originally Posted by UnschoolnMa View Post

Also, have we ever talked about practicing/spiritual/magical names here? whistling.gif

I remember bits of conversation - I think Sweetsunshine (hope I have the member right) was talking about choosing a name recently?

What were you thinking of? What do you mean by "magical name"?   I have never done an initiation or witchcraft course but I have a vague idea that one would choose a name at that time?

Aubergine is just a username for me, but it has spiritual significance as well, so it will do for a magical name for the time being.  I had this vivid dream over a decade ago about making a quilt in all shades of purple, with purple flowers and purple words embroidered on it - lavender, heather, lilac, mauve, crocus, aubergine, plum, amethyst.....I don't know the name for the pattern, but I have a image of what it will look like, the pattern, and have actually been saving cotton scraps for years.  Someday I'll take a quilting class - paper piece quilting, I think -- and really start working on it.   I think it needs to be hand-sewn and I think I need to make at least one small quilt for practice before I embark on my purple quilt. One of my grandmothers quilted and one embroidered flowers so it would be a bringing together of creative traditions and I will come into my own in some way (maybe fully enter my crone years) when I have accomplished this.

Aubergine is also important because my gardening challenge is growing eggplant in this cold climate I live in.  Some years I succeed, some years I don't but it pushes the envelope.  It also has chakra significance but I never thought of that when I chose it as a username.

I actually have several online usernames for various purposes that I love/that are carefully chosen.  I love having the idea of having lots of meaningful names....my rl name was pretty common in my generation and I've never loved it.

ETA thinking about your bowl of crocuses makes me happy, Clay.  We are a good month or two  away from spring muds here -- we get a full measure of winter.  April is our dirtiest month.

#491 of 521 Old 01-30-2011, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ktg_ View Postand so far I'm glad I got the EOs in addition to the Tea Tree and Grapefruit Seed Extract, the house is starting to smell yummy and like sunshine coming in. And now I'm off to research how to vacuum pillows and to see what I can make for a general air spritzer once I'm done vacuuming (with my newly made carpet deodorizer - baking soda, TTO, Ginger EO, Tangerine EO & a couple of cinnamon sticks) 

Did you mix them all together? In your first sentence? What did you do with them then? Did the EOs in your carpet deodorizer make the baking soda all mushy? How did that work? Is it something you sprinkled on the carpet, then vacuumed up?

Pillows-- what kind? I often just throw them in the washer. Careful with the dryer, though-- I had one couch pillow that got all hard on one side, pretty sure it was made of polyester and melted to the dryer redface.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aubergine68 View PostMy dh is starting his new job next week.  Vibes of success for him would be appreciated, candles lit any morning next week.

and have actually been saving cotton scraps for years.  Someday I'll take a quilting class - paper piece quilting, I think -- and really start working on it.   I think it needs to be hand-sewn and I think I need to make at least one small quilt for practice before I embark on my purple quilt. One of my grandmothers quilted and one embroidered flowers so it would be a bringing together of creative traditions and I will come into my own in some way (maybe fully enter my crone years) when I have accomplished this.

candle.gif for your DH, Aubergine. What is he doing again?
 And Yay for your dd!

Your potential quilt sounds lovely. It sounds like a perfect croning present to give yourself! Your name-- Aubergine-- took me forever to find out its meaning. I think I stumbled across it by accident lol.gif

Mine is a dinosaur.

#492 of 521 Old 01-30-2011, 05:49 PM

Aubergine~ I am being initiated/dedicated on Imbolc and I wanted to choose a magickal name, a name that would be used when with my "sisters" or doing any rituals, or other majickal work. So I wound up doing three journey meditations, which were SO difficult to shut my brain off and get through, and I had several different words come up. One of them was a creature. When I looked it up in a book of animal medicine, I found a connection between it and the goddess that has made herself apparent to me. So I have found my name. And my goddess.

bellycast.gifI am the Goddess, I am the Mother, all acts of love and pleasure are my rituals.dust.gif
#493 of 521 Old 01-30-2011, 07:04 PM

Maia - my dh is in sales/ sales management (don't want to say exactly what for privacy reasons).  He was doing well at another company, was a territory manager, but left because of he was expected to participate in unethical hiring and promotion practices, too much travel, and because he felt he was being pushed into selling inferior products/ selling products his customers didn't need.  So he left a sure  (but stressful) thing and moved to another company, much happier company, much better products, but this one is pretty much 100% commission.  Great money  and opportunities if he can do it.  Zero income if not (after nearly 2 months of zero income already while some licensing pieces fell into place).  Hard on my stomach, this is.  It seems to be following a Treasure Map path, though -- I wrote "home every night in 2011" which is happening, that dh is with a happy company, which is happening, and that we'd meet our financial obligations and that our income would increase, which is a big piece really needing to happen very soon.....gritting my teeth and strapping in for the ride.

I just read a novel called The Enchantment Emporium which reminds me a lot of the best bits of Practical Magic.  Highly recommended.

I

#494 of 521 Old 01-30-2011, 07:32 PM

popping in quick....

we're bracing for an ice storm.  like one that compares with the BIG ice storm of 1998 that pummeled eastern Ontario/Quebec/Vermont....  an inch of ice possible, beginning as early as tomorrow evening.  all day today, however, we had Sun! Glorious Sun!  (hat tip to Oliver!)  and nice melty temps.  hard to believe a Big Storm is heading this way.

books... Warriors!  This is a series about a bunch of cats (who even have medicine cats that use herbs...)  -- targeted for 8-10/11 yr olds I think.  Mom bought the first for me to check out for ds.  It's a bit beyond ds at the moment (we're diving into Magic Treehouse books) but *I* love it so far.

We have a family bed, yet ds starts out the night in his room.  Oh... how I wish he could spend the whole night in his room...  After 3 weeks of dh insisting that ds should be able to fall asleep by himself in his room (without someone lying down to snuggle with him), we've yet again changed the get-to-sleep routine (I knew if I were patient, dh would finally see that his way wasn't working; and being patient just meant that I wouldn't have to say "I told you so").  Now, one of us sits in the room with ds, with the light on, and is just still.  I dunno what dh does, but I've been reading fun stuff (Warriors this past few days).  One week into this routine and ds falls asleep soooooo fast and there's no bedtime battle either!  

Jennifer, Naturopath and mom

#495 of 521 Old 01-30-2011, 08:21 PM

BTW, congratulations on finding your name, sweetsunshine!  

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluets View Post

we're bracing for an ice storm.  like one that compares with the BIG ice storm of 1998 that pummeled eastern Ontario/Quebec/Vermont....  an inch of ice possible, beginning as early as tomorrow evening.  all day today, however, we had Sun! Glorious Sun!  (hat tip to Oliver!)  and nice melty temps.  hard to believe a Big Storm is heading this way.

We have a family bed, yet ds starts out the night in his room.  Oh... how I wish he could spend the whole night in his room...  After 3 weeks of dh insisting that ds should be able to fall asleep by himself in his room (without someone lying down to snuggle with him), we've yet again changed the get-to-sleep routine (I knew if I were patient, dh would finally see that his way wasn't working; and being patient just meant that I wouldn't have to say "I told you so").  Now, one of us sits in the room with ds, with the light on, and is just still.  I dunno what dh does, but I've been reading fun stuff (Warriors this past few days).  One week into this routine and ds falls asleep soooooo fast and there's no bedtime battle either!  

Ouch.  I lived through that storm.  Stay safe, mama.

That is *exactly* how we get our youngest to sleep.  How I get a roomful of toddlers to nap.  Except I'm usually on my laptop while they drop off.  Dd loved Warriors a few years ago, but I never read it.  I should go find them and put them in my to-read pile.

#496 of 521 Old 01-31-2011, 04:25 AM - Thread Starter

biglaugh.gif Omg, that's so funny!  This is why I shouldn't type while tired.  

Quote:

Um...found out you were pregnant with me? ROTFLMAO.gifThat was a silly typo! LOL!

#497 of 521 Old 01-31-2011, 05:34 AM

Good luck bluets... I'm thinking of you and hoping for no blackouts and only minor accidents in your region.

Maia- I think alcohol is required for flambe, but it also burns off... lots of dishes use alcohol/flame to season the food (any time you see a shot of a restaurant kitchen and a pan being tilted over the stove with flames shooting up it's either alcohol or aerosolized oil resulting from tossing a liquid into a hot pan that already contains oil) and the alcohol that remains in the dish (if done properly) is more or less zilch.  One of the professors associated with my college dorm was a Hotelie... he'd set up a flaming coffee demo each winter holiday season and we'd all hope that he'd slip up and leave some alcohol in the coffee.  But he never did... if you set fire to it and keep it moving, when the fire goes out it's because there's no more fuel (alcohol).  THAT SAID... the alcohol flavor notes remain and there may be residual alcohol (especially if the flambe isn't done correctly) so you may want to take a pass.

How about fondue?  Is there a cheese on your food plan that would melt nicely?  Then you'd have the heat/fire (say from a sterno can) and the fun of dunking stuff.  :)  MMMMM.... fondue!

Glad the party went well and finger's crossed the water heater gets fixed up soon.  We were watching the mythbusters water heater episode last night... lol

Ro's fever turned into a drippy nose/chest cold and she has been sharing her misery... last night every cough or sniffle turned into a full on scream fest.  DH and I are exhausted, and she woke dd1 and ds a handful of times too so everyone is grumpy this morning.  I'm hoping for a very quiet day.  Very.

There were a lot more people I wanted to reply to and my brain is blank!  Ack!  Sweetsunshine, congrats.   What a great meditation/dream process.  DoK... you and Roo doing ok?  I like the idea that the paci is the universe telling you something amazing is about to manifest... maybe some way in which you'll nurture/soothe yourself and others?  Cari... still staying dry?  NPR was talking about the floods and stuff yesterday and I thought of you.  And I thought of your kiddos as I continue the journey to find the best homeschool option for dd1.  We're still thinking OM but ugh... I want more teacher support.  But the programs that offer really detailed/no prep guides are also really heavily religious (or way too expensive, like Calvert).  My SIL and I were talking on the phone alst night about how we really do need to make a secular/pagan curriculum pronto.  LOL

I know, I know, I've said it before.  LOL  But dude... I spent like and hour on the web last night and even the "secular" curriculums were pretty biased.  And several of them were the "christian curriculum" with a few books switched out.  Sigh... I want it all, and I want it now, and I want it cheap, and I want it good.  Is that so wrong?  ;)  LOL

mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#498 of 521 Old 01-31-2011, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetsunshine85 View PostSo I wound up doing three journey meditations, which were SO difficult to shut my brain off and get through, and I had several different words come up. One of them was a creature. When I looked it up in a book of animal medicine, I found a connection between it and the goddess that has made herself apparent to me. So I have found my name. And my goddess.

YAY! So cool. Will you be using it as your username? Or keeping it secret except in your rituals with your sisters? I dunno why, but my name is my username and also I only want people calling me that in the Pagan world, like at gatherings and public rituals and stuff. I feel offended if my Pagan friends IRL call me by my given name-- but only during Pagan events. If it's everyday life, they can call me by my name. How weird is that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aubergine68 View PostMaia - my dh is in sales/ sales management (don't want to say exactly what for privacy reasons).  He was doing well at another company, was a territory manager, but left because of he was expected to participate in unethical hiring and promotion practices, too much travel, and because he felt he was being pushed into selling inferior products/ selling products his customers didn't need.  So he left a sure  (but stressful) thing and moved to another company, much happier company, much better products, but this one is pretty much 100% commission.  Great money  and opportunities if he can do it.  Zero income if not (after nearly 2 months of zero income already while some licensing pieces fell into place).  Hard on my stomach, this is.  It seems to be following a Treasure Map path, though -- I wrote "home every night in 2011" which is happening, that dh is with a happy company, which is happening, and that we'd meet our financial obligations and that our income would increase, which is a big piece really needing to happen very soon.....gritting my teeth and strapping in for the ride.

I just read a novel called The Enchantment Emporium which reminds me a lot of the best bits of Practical Magic.  Highly recommended.

Well, it sounds like it'll all work out, then, according to TM timeline-- for your family's sake, I certainly hope so!

I have a stack of books from the library right now, which I know I won't get through in the 3 weeks I'm allowed to keep them, but I'm going to try. I'll have to put that one on the list. So many books, so little time...sigh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluets View Postbooks... Warriors!  This is a series about a bunch of cats (who even have medicine cats that use herbs...)  -- targeted for 8-10/11 yr olds I think.  Mom bought the first for me to check out for ds.  It's a bit beyond ds at the moment (we're diving into Magic Treehouse books) but *I* love it so far.

DS is reading the Warriors series. We're also reading Two Towers together, but he's just got distracted with Tom Brown Jr's The Tracker, which I gave him for his birthday.

Transitioning with beds: you are doing it exactly opposite of what I did. I put ds to sleep in MY bed, with the lullabies and the whole routine, then about an hour later, I got him up to pee (he never woke up through this at all) and put him down in his bed, where he stayed all night and woke up the next day. Might that work for you? Mine was about 7 when I did this, I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View PostTHAT SAID... the alcohol flavor notes remain and there may be residual alcohol (especially if the flambe isn't done correctly) so you may want to take a pass.

How about fondue?  Is there a cheese on your food plan that would melt nicely? 

Glad the party went well and finger's crossed the water heater gets fixed up soon.  We were watching the mythbusters water heater episode last night... lol

Yeah, I usually pass on things like flambe or things cooked with alcohol. I don't believe for a red hot minute that all the alcohol cooks out, no matter what anybody says. Plus I'm not hip to the taste of it. I do take Rescue Remedy now and then, and tinctures, but I'm not happy about it. I just tell myself it's medicine, which it is. I'd have a problem if I wanted to KEEP drinking it winky.gif

No, no cheese at all, right now. Soon. Me lurve fondue, though! Might have to figure out how to do that. No bread. You can do meat, though, I think? I know there's all sorts of fondues. What happens in the mythbusters water heater episode? Do I really want to know?

#499 of 521 Old 01-31-2011, 07:04 AM

Clay- curriculum

Do you want something that is pretty much an all in one, social studies, reading, writing, art, music etc? Are you interested in putting your own together? The USborne books are excellent for history and the kids have really enjoyed them. For math we use Hands on Standards, which has worked really, really well- you need to buy manipulatives and print out the blackline masters but it is really nice. Spirituality/Social/Emotional Growth we use Ready Set Happy, Pooka Pages, Cirlce Round etc I know you have mentioned following NYS standards- we also use BrainPop, ixl math, which are linked to the standards.  The above math is linked to the NCTM. I can get into this more....later...

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#500 of 521 Old 01-31-2011, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by _ktg_ View Postand so far I'm glad I got the EOs in addition to the Tea Tree and Grapefruit Seed Extract, the house is starting to smell yummy and like sunshine coming in. And now I'm off to research how to vacuum pillows and to see what I can make for a general air spritzer once I'm done vacuuming (with my newly made carpet deodorizer - baking soda, TTO, Ginger EO, Tangerine EO & a couple of cinnamon sticks) 

Did you mix them all together? In your first sentence? What did you do with them then? Did the EOs in your carpet deodorizer make the baking soda all mushy? How did that work? Is it something you sprinkled on the carpet, then vacuumed up?

Pillows-- what kind? I often just throw them in the washer. Careful with the dryer, though-- I had one couch pillow that got all hard on one side, pretty sure it was made of polyester and melted to the dryer redface.gif

For the cleaning solution - yup I mixed up my usual batch of homemade cleaner (1C water, 1/4 Hydrogen Perioxide (though I use vingear typically!), 2tbs concenrated soap,) and then added 15 drops TTO, 10 drop GSE, and 15 drops Tangerine EO. I swear it smelled like liquid sunshine to me while cleaning yesterday..mmmmm 

The carpet stuff - I took 3C Baking Soda in a large bowl and with a wooden spoon to break up clumps mixed in 20 drops TTO, 10 drops GSE and then 15 drops each of Ginger EO, and Tangerine EO. I also tossed in a couple of cinnamon sticks into a quart mason jar, and punched holes into a used lid and voila homemade carpet deodorizer with a shaker to boot!   To use I just sprinkle/shake over carpet, matteress, couches etc.  and let sit for a hour and vacuum up.

Re; Pillows - our sleeping ones... I found a site which recommends just sticking them in  a garbage bag and using the hose on the vac (against the pillow) and basicallly sucking all the air out of the bag along with all the other ickies too.   After you're done - fluff back into shape.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aubergine68 View Post

I

Oooh going on my reading list.... I just got done with "The other Boylen Girl" yesterday, and the first in the Hunger Games series  earlier this month.  I swear its like I can't get enough of reading right now.... well fun reading.  Schoolwork reading is leaving something to be desired at this moment winky.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluets View Post

popping in quick....

books... Warriors!  This is a series about a bunch of cats (who even have medicine cats that use herbs...)  -- targeted for 8-10/11 yr olds I think.  Mom bought the first for me to check out for ds.  It's a bit beyond ds at the moment (we're diving into Magic Treehouse books) but *I* love it so far.

I wish you safety & the power staying on Bluets!!  I'm bracing for a dumping of 2-3 feet here in WI from several systems passing through this week. Now I'll see what everyone in NY/Eastern Seaboard has been feeling. 

Sunshine - Yay for journeys and magickal names!

Re: names  - I struggle with this in "picking" or listening to hear what it should be. I thought I knew it, but in researching not so much.  A favored animal - yes (elephants!), but not a name.  I have a longstanding name which I've used for other things (like .... an online game where I met DH), but I find its very much a part of me.   I was going to change my username here to it vs ktg (which if you sound it out... is my real name hahahaha), but alas there are like a dozen "Violets" and variations. So back to the drawing board I go to kick around lastname ideas. 

treehugger.gifAnd you who seek to know Me, know that the seeking and yearning will avail you not, unless you know the Mystery: for if that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without.treehugger.gif

#501 of 521 Old 01-31-2011, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ktg_ View Post

Re: names  - I struggle with this in "picking" or listening to hear what it should be. I thought I knew it, but in researching not so much.  A favored animal - yes (elephants!), but not a name.  I have a longstanding name which I've used for other things (like .... an online game where I met DH), but I find its very much a part of me.   I was going to change my username here to it vs ktg (which if you sound it out... is my real name hahahaha), but alas there are like a dozen "Violets" and variations. So back to the drawing board I go to kick around lastname ideas. 

Another lady with an affinity for purple!  Have to remember the word 'violet' for my quilt.  That is such a purple word.

I used to have an affinity for elephants as a teen...and giraffes.  I have also been pegged as a 'doiphin' person by an otherwise fairly accurate psychic reader a couple years back.  I don't know enough about shamanic types of magic to know if it matters, but  love to feel/discover an affinity for an animal I might actually run into in my cold northern back

country.

#502 of 521 Old 01-31-2011, 08:53 AM

curric- LOL yes, what I really want is a "school in a box" with everything I need right there, and a detailed daily "do this now" teacher's guide.  We did the moving Beyond the Page "1st grade" this year and while everyone liked it, the need to gather all the supplemental stuff was annoying and the "teacher's guide" wasn't much help.  I love the teacher's guides in Calvert and Sonlight, but the expense of Calvert and the religion of Sonlight make them no-goes.  OM has an okay guide and does include everything (if you get the supplemental craft pack too), and it's probably what we'll go with... but I wish I had a choice!

Especially given that I may have a newborn sometime in the first week of Sept and the girls will be attending a waldorf style homeschool enrichment two days a week (the school is moving so it'll be a 3 hour round trip twice a day for ds, babe, and I)... well, OM is probably the way to go.  We don't have regular access to the library (and I wont feel like more driving I'm sure!), Calvert even if we could afford it is a LOT of work and I'm not sure I'll be up to that... plus dd1 will be occupied two days each week already in a very different educational modality.

If we had a halfway decent public school option or affordable private school option I'd be alllllll over it.  But we don't.  Ah well... some day!

#503 of 521 Old 01-31-2011, 08:53 AM

see, i knew it.bawling.gif you all have all the fun conversations when i'm not online. what do you do? wait til you know i cant get on the computer and then all text each other and say "let's go play"? lol. i mean, i'm laughing, but at the same time, i'm crying! this happened to me in the past with other online groups, too, fwiw, so it's not "just" you lot. hopefully i will get a chance to catch up later! but, gesh. can you have a conversation when i AM online? please? maybe just once?

i only have a moment because i need to try to get to the pool and swim before it decides to RAIN! and be winter again here for the week (boo!)... it was so lovely and warm. and now it's going to be 40s as high and 20s as low. so typical feb here, so i shouldnt be surprised, but i keep asking dh if we can move somewhere sunny and warm! biglaugh.gif

#504 of 521 Old 01-31-2011, 09:04 AM

cold.gif

Ice storm: hope it doesn't hit too hard! I clearly remember the 98 one... DS was 4mo. We were lucky and only lost power for 4 days but other people had it very rough!

Magical Name: I use an animal totem on other boards but I've never did any ritual to make it my magical name... It's highly spiritual to me though. I have use a Greek Goddess name in the past but I now relate more to nature's spirits and faeries than anyone in the pantheon... Maybe I should look at other mythologies...

Valérie   
#505 of 521 Old 01-31-2011, 09:19 AM - Thread Starter

Aaaagghhhh!   This is what I have to say to the 2 more storms we are getting Tuesday and Wednesday:   Cuss.gif  Another 2 day total of 20" expected.  With a layer of sleet/freezing rain on top of it.

I'm so DONE with winter!

I doubt they'll cancel school in my town tomorrow but they probably will for Wednesday.  My tires are absolutely horrible in snow (can't afford new tires and my car is dying again anyway.)

Not sure if I'll bring Roo to school tomorrow.  Will see what the morning forecast says.

What I will be doing this week (as long as my mother moves out and takes a bunch of stuff with her) is a heavy cleaning.  It's going to take days.  I'm going to reorganize, move furniture, wipe down walls and blinds, wash floors, etc etc.  Call it a big Imbolc cleaning.  

#506 of 521 Old 01-31-2011, 09:48 AM

Clay- that is what I thought. I was looking at the Global Village School yesterday, but it is very much a pull together curriculum. OM- I also looked at that, but our eclectic mix seems to be working but I may consider it as the girls grow, especially middle school/high school. We do something like OM already, and I didn't have to pay for it. :) It looks like a good fit for us. We are doing more pagan/UU aspects this term, which has been fun. Trying to incorporate our spiritual life with our real life, if that makes sense. Sometimes I feel like we are disconnected was too much. I would also love a private school or a really neat charter school, but we only have Christian or Catholic choices here.

When Erin was born, I sent my kindy age kid to school, I just couldn't fathom homeschool and baby at the same time.

I might order some of the OM books...interesting. Anyways, to keep this kind of on topic, I still wish there was a UU or Pagan homeschooling curriculum. I started to put together an infant/toddler curriculum, but man, it took so much to put it together.

#507 of 521 Old 01-31-2011, 09:49 AM

DoK: you are going to be buried!

can i just say i am totally in love with this girl? she is so darn sweet and cute and .... ahhh. i am so happy. and dh has been so sweet. i am sad he has to go back to work thursday. it has been so nice having him around. the boys are a bit stir crazy, but i think dh is gonna take them out either today or tomorrow for a bit. 

at some point i will get into this conversation. lol

h

mama to 6 amazing children joy.gif married to my main man for 21 years love.gif and finally home FULL time dishes.gifhang.gifknit.gif

#508 of 521 Old 01-31-2011, 10:48 AM

Aeress- I know, it's crazy how much work goes into putting a curric together.  I mean, it's a lot of effort just for a single family, but once you start trying to make something for "the public" it just gets crazy fast.  My SIL and I were joking last night though that we could REALLY pagan it up.  We're both at the "heathen"/"norse" end of the pagan spectrum and the ideas we were coming up with for language arts were a riot!  Honestly, I'd be ok with a more ecclectic approach but I HATE paperwork and it seems like NYS glories in it so I really want something that makes getting through the HS hoops as gosh darn simple as humanly possible.

Aweyn- I love you, you know that, right?  :)  I've been beading, btw, and brainstorming seasonal bead strands for you... I have a few I've started and pulled apart but they're getting there!

Dr stuff- I have a visit with the midwives AND a visit with the Gyn Onc on Friday.  I just need to stay chipper and balanced till then.  I was very much NOT balanced after the 28 minutes it took to get through the phone trees and various flunkies of the insurance company in order to "register" my pregnancy.  If it's not registered, they don't "have" to cover the bills (I found this out the hard way with dd1... the office staff caught it when the insurance people bounced a few bills back at them... and I was just a week or two away from not having the birth covered!  Since it came out at over 30K that would have been a baaaaaaad moment).  Anyway, I'm registered and have a "magic number"... I have to call their phone line within 48 hours of the birth and confirm the birth with this number.  And I asked... they wont be able to give me a new number, or tell me what my number is later, so, in the words of the rep, "Please don't lose this number".  LOL

magical names- a long time ago I wanted to find a name... the technique I used was basically the walking/breathing meditation from Peace Is Every Step.  I went on a walk, focusing and balancing and breathing and smiling as I went. and just sort of free associated with the things I saw.  Almost like a vision quest in that I was physically moving, searching for the things that would "jump out" at me.  A scent, a specific color, an animal, so on.  But overall I've just sort of "fallen into" names.  WombatClay has been my online name more or less since I discovered the web in college.  Though for several years I wrote/published haiku using the name kleis... and that's the name I often give if someone (or some group) really wants a "working name".  It's close enough to my regular name that I don't forget it LOL and it has nice meaning and feeling for me.  And in the SCA my name was originally Airmid but it's evolved into Eryny (pronounced kinda like EHR-new)... names in the SCA aren't supposed to reflect gods/famous people and Eryny was the closest name the monks of St Gabriel could find to Airmid that fit my time period/persona.  As long as people HEAR it before they SEE it, I'm safe.  If they see it first though they will forever call me "Ernie".  DH tends to encourage this by singing Rubber Ducky (or the SCA filk of Golden Ducats).

#509 of 521 Old 01-31-2011, 11:02 AM

Quote:
  Hard on my stomach, this is.  It seems to be following a Treasure Map path, though -- I wrote "home every night in 2011" which is happening, that dh is with a happy company, which is happening, and that we'd meet our financial obligations and that our income would increase, which is a big piece really needing to happen very soon.....gritting my teeth and strapping in for the ride.

I totally understand how that works. My ex husband was a long haul trucker for almost our entire marriage. (He was also super unhappy so he'd quit jobs serial style.ugh)  It made for a lot of his time away and no $$ evah. I hope good things are happening for you and your Dh now! goodvibes.gif

Quote:

When I looked it up in a book of animal medicine, I found a connection between it and the goddess that has made herself apparent to me. So I have found my name. And my goddess.

How cool is that? What a nice double win for you there?

The name thing for me: my old one grew old and passed off somewhere. I was nameless for a few years without issue. I knew it would happen and it has! I do a lot of magical/spiritual work in dream. Lately I had been having a series of dreams that were leading me to a new name. It's lovely and I feel it's time for it. :)

#510 of 521 Old 01-31-2011, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Aeress- I know, it's crazy how much work goes into putting a curric together.  I mean, it's a lot of effort just for a single family, but once you start trying to make something for "the public" it just gets crazy fast.  My SIL and I were joking last night though that we could REALLY pagan it up.  We're both at the "heathen"/"norse" end of the pagan spectrum and the ideas we were coming up with for language arts were a riot!  Honestly, I'd be ok with a more ecclectic approach but I HATE paperwork and it seems like NYS glories in it so I really want something that makes getting through the HS hoops as gosh darn simple as humanly possible.

NY is really harsh on the homeschooling front. The educrats are in full force there for sure!

I think it could be so much fun to do a Pagan curric! Lots of work for sure. dizzy.gif

Quote:

As long as people HEAR it before they SEE it, I'm safe.  If they see it first though they will forever call me "Ernie".  DH tends to encourage this by singing Rubber Ducky (or the SCA filk of Golden Ducats).

LOL! That is hysterical. Well, maybe more to me than you... seeing as how you're the one being called Ernie. bag.giflol.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page