January Pagan Circle - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 521 Old 01-03-2011, 09:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I don't really label myself anymore. I don't want to go into it on such a public site so I'll continue that topic elsewhere.  winky.gif

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

#62 of 521 Old 01-03-2011, 09:29 AM

I think I need to update my address book more often if it makes old friends reappear in my life!  :)

Starting to think about 12th Night... I might see if the SIL/brother would like to visit the local thrift store and distract the littles while I check for potential gifts.  Generally we pack up all the holiday stuff on the 5th, light a great big bonfire to burn up things like the tree and the wrapping paper from the holiday season, then leave our shoes out for La Befana so that come the morning there are a few chocolates or a tiny toy in our shoes.  The kiddos got lots of socks and mittens during the gift exchanges, but no slippers... so maybe I can find slippers or slipper socks in their sizes and swap their shoes for slippers?  Or a book of some sort?

I'd like to get some chocolate coins (which should be on sale by now) too... hopefully I'll find a gluten free version!

~~~~~~~~~~~

For a while I did describe myself as a witch.  But I never described myself as wiccan.  My personal beliefs/path don't actually follow the conventions of wicca sooooo... people got a bit more confused than they would have otherwise I think because wiccans have worked so hard to reclaim the term witch.  So as I moved from Reclaiming into "Kitchen Witchery" I started describing myself as a kitchen witch, never "just" a witch.  And now while I still think kitchen witch applies, I don't really use it as an answer to "what religion are you".  These days I tend to say I'm pagan and a member of ADF, a modern druid organization.  I don't feel comfortable calling myself a druid, but I have started using heathen (since Dh and are being pulled into a more Norse hearth culture).

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#63 of 521 Old 01-03-2011, 10:02 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Thanks for all the replies everyone! (I had a multi quote post happening here, and then poof it was gone. Grumble..)

I started on a Wiccan path many years ago, and it wasn't quite right. Close, but no cigar. So Pagan was the term I used (and still do) to describe my path, along with Buddhism. It works fine and is accurate. Over the last year or so I have been using the word witch to describe myself. A young friend remarked in a conversation, "remember when there were real witches back in the olden days? And they were all bad!"  I asked why he thought they were bad, and told him that witches aren't extinct "like the dinosaurs".  (I know his mom, and understood talking about it would be okay) When he was told that I am a witch he asked me why I was one, what made me a witch? Why don't I look scary? It was a good conversation for both of us I think. :)

The runes just speak to me. I even dream them sometimes. I have used tarot but it's never been just right for me. Perhaps the timing or deck wasn't meant for me just then. I've been approached w/ whether or not I would read for someone if they paid me to do it. That took me back. The person said she had a regular reader in her old city, but she has moved so.... interesting. Moral implications? Dunno.

My heart goes out to whoever had the lice! Uggggh. Been there. It can make you paranoid for awhile. Scabies are worse.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
#64 of 521 Old 01-03-2011, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnschoolnMa View Post

Sooo, I have some thoughts if that is cool. I used to be a regular poster, but life happened. I am here again, and boy has it ever been a year or three. Phew!

Let me get right to it:

1. Identifying as a witch. I am starting to.  I have and continue to ID as a "Pagan, Buddhist", but I am starting to say "witch" regularly. After much much "stuff". Who else does? Was or is that title/name problematic for you? In what way yes or no? My things about that to follow.

2. Runes and other divinations. They are starting to become a huge (actually unavoidable) part of my life. Tell me about your experiences if you are comfy.

1. I'm still in the Pagan Camp and slowly becoming comfortable with calling myself a witch.  I'm trying to get over the image in my head of the wiccan witch of my teens/early 20's (and see the comfort of what I am now (kitchen/home witch).  It's been interesting in work with my parents on the concept of Paganism and really what is means to be polythestic, the term witch to them brings up a goth, angst filled image vs. me, so its a healing journey to help explain to them and make it concrete for me my beliefs.

2. I'm a bit unorthodox as my go to tool is my magic 8-ball.  Hands down, it has not let me down and been quite accurate when asked.   I also have a tarot set (kitchen one) but it is new to me and we're still in the getting to know each other phase, kinda like a blind date phase. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by mamaofthree View Post

so baby is due in 1 week, although it probably won't show up until the week after. dh and i had a bit of "alone" time yesterday and i have been having alot of BH yesterday and today which is new. i haven't really had more then 4 of them the whole time. anyway...

ok, i am going to bake cookies cuz i want something sweet, but not too full of sugar and chemicals. lol

h

Ooooh I was wondering when that little babe was due to make an appearance!!!!  Keeping my fingers crossed for you and wishing you easy labor & bh vibes goodvibes.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluets View Post

i've told ds that i'm a witch.  somebody at school taught him  (through the classic fairy tales perhaps?) the "bad witch" stereotype so i intentionally used that word and told him that not all witches were bad, that most were good, blah blah blah.  but that he wasn't to go blabbing to his friends at school that mama was a witch because they just don't need to know that.

did i mention that i got my hands on "The Joy of Ritual" (http://www.amazon.com/JOY-RITUAL-Spiritual-Milestones-Transitions/dp/1596058420) ?  lovely book (enlightening given the whole ritual notion of dealing with patients), even though i'm not very ritualistic (it's becoming clear that i need to become more so).  she's got one for families that i would love to get my hands onto as well.  

I've told my DS1 the same especially when we read fairy tales with the not so nice witches (i.e. hansel & gretel).  That book looks very neat... adding it to my "wish list" for reading!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View Post

biting/frustration- it really is whatever is closest when he gets frustrated... a chair seat, the edge of the coffee table, his high chair, his sister, the bunny cage, my leg, and so on.  He'll start shaking, turn red, and CHOMP!!! the frustration out.  We do use ASL a good amount (my SIL and one of my aunts are ASL interpreters and are very keen our us making sure the kiddos are at least functional conversationalists) and Tor has maybe six consistant signs and probably 6 or 7 reliable words.  Plus the all powerful "baby point" technique.  LOL  We can generally figure out what he wants but often it's something he can't have (the toy his sister is holding, the hot sauce on the table, my mother's antique glass nativity set that she leaves right at his eye level, to get out of his car seat, to run around the store, and so on).  I almost feel like communication is the problem... he KNOWS how it works but he can't grasp yet that we might not "do" whatever it is that he just communicated.

I need some "stay calm, stay healthy" vibes... this past month has taken more out of me than I knew.  Today we go back to our "normal" routines (DH had the last week off due to the miracle of academic calendars) and I just don't know how I'm going to muddle through.  I've been getting maybe 5 hours of sleep a night, I'm double busy during the day, and while I adore my brother/sil and don't want them to leave... their being here means almost daily interaction with my mom.  Which is more stress than any human should have to endure.  LOL  I'm worn to a nubbins!  I know it sounds silly, but I could surely use some happy thoughts.

Joyful! 

dizzy.gifhug2.gifnamaste.gifpraying.gifsleepytime.gif  for you Clay!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by singin_angel View Post

On the bright side, it is snowing lightly, one of my favourite sights! Watching the snow fall has always made me think of peace and stillness.

I love watching the snow fall too.  Its like the world is quiet and still to accept this change! 

Day 1 back to work - post vacation.  I'm working on bringing balance to my day and I'm firing up a meditation DVD over my lunch hour to keep me focused and calm.  I have a very hard time not working hard all the time, so this is a good break for me to even the scales.

DS2 has the croup and mama has too little sleep for today. Wishing everyone a happy monday!!

treehugger.gifAnd you who seek to know Me, know that the seeking and yearning will avail you not, unless you know the Mystery: for if that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without.treehugger.gif

#65 of 521 Old 01-03-2011, 11:55 AM

Happy joyful healing thoughts to everyone who needs them!  It's sunny here so it's hard not to be joyful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnschoolnMa View Post

My heart goes out to whoever had the lice! Uggggh. Been there. It can make you paranoid for awhile. Scabies are worse.

HAHA.  dh was talking to his grandmother...  she said that if i was itching over the rest of my body, i probably had scabies.  she used to be a nurse AND she's btdt lots (and she's really sweet), so i know what she meant, but i'm so glad that she was talking to him and not to me.  in that moment, i probably would either have burst into tears or hung up the phone.  a few days after that conversation, i can laugh about it.

ok, all this talk about runes, tarot, magic 8-ball... i just don't do that stuff.  i find it intriguing, but i just don't know what questions to ask.  yes, i found a list of questions to ponder with the tarot, but those questions just don't come into my head regularly.  

i don't journal because i'm just not disciplined enough to do it regularly and i dislike writing; i get to a blank page and i have no idea where to start.  i can envision images in my head to draw, but i just can't get them onto a surface of any sort.  ergo, this whole notion of art journalling, while appealing, is frustrating.  i have perfectionist tendencies (not all the time, though).  what i do really well is collecting information, then synthesizing/collating it when i have time to process it in my head.  the internet has been my undoing because there's just no end to it all.  it is my rabbit hole.

Jennifer, Naturopath and mom

#66 of 521 Old 01-03-2011, 12:07 PM

Hugs, Clay!

1) Witch means Wiccan, to me, and I'm not Wiccan -- I have not (yet) done a year-and-a-day initiation program of any witchy flavor, although I'm considering a couple, and I think the word Witch would be more appropriate when/if I've completed such a program.  There is also the matter of a mother figure/spiritual mentor in my life who is very Christian and would be distressed if I came out of the broom closet.  She's in her eighties now.  If I'm going to experiment with the label "witch" - and it would be pure experimentation for me at this point - I can wait till it doesn't matter to her anymore.   I think of myself as "spiritually eclectic with a strong affinity/affection for various sorts of Paganism and New Agery."  

2) Divination....I love my old tarot deck and enjoy looking at/playing with new decks and pendulums.  I studied runes as part of an Anglo Saxon Lit course and would enjoy spending more time with those, too. I love the symbolism of all these systems and think time spent with them helps my intuition.  However, I think the true source of divination  is within my own intuition, dreams, etc. possibly aided by spirit guides.  If I really want to know the future - and I'm not sure that I do, much -- I would want to spend more time on developing and interpreting my connection with these sources. 

I do not think there is any ethical conflict with being paid for one's time and the time one has invested in study and use of one's tools in doing readings for others.  I could see where an ongoing relationship with a client where the client comes to rely on your readings in an unhealthy way might be problematic, though.  

#67 of 521 Old 01-03-2011, 01:17 PM

Quote:

Happy joyful healing thoughts to everyone who needs them!  It's sunny here so it's hard not to be joyful.

ok, all this talk about runes, tarot, magic 8-ball... i just don't do that stuff.  i find it intriguing, but i just don't know what questions to ask.  yes, i found a list of questions to ponder with the tarot, but those questions just don't come into my head regularly.  

i don't journal because i'm just not disciplined enough to do it regularly and i dislike writing; i get to a blank page and i have no idea where to start.  i can envision images in my head to draw, but i just can't get them onto a surface of any sort.  ergo, this whole notion of art journalling, while appealing, is frustrating.  i have perfectionist tendencies (not all the time, though).  what i do really well is collecting information, then synthesizing/collating it when i have time to process it in my head.  the internet has been my undoing because there's just no end to it all.  it is my rabbit hole.

My magic 8-ball lives at work... so my questions are generated in that space.  for example:  Will my boss let me do <<project my way>>? "very doubtful"  should I pursue this idea? "outlook good"   My favorite response is "It is decidedly so!"  Often I know the response, but sometimes it gives me pause.

I'm a poor journal keeper - I just don't write things down.  But I do enjoy going through threads here and seeing the ups and downs as I post through the months, its like MDC has provided me a mini journal that I (along with many other people) can look back on.  love.gif

treehugger.gifAnd you who seek to know Me, know that the seeking and yearning will avail you not, unless you know the Mystery: for if that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without.treehugger.gif

#68 of 521 Old 01-03-2011, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ktg_ View Post

My magic 8-ball lives at work... so my questions are generated in that space.  for example:  Will my boss let me do <<project my way>>? "very doubtful"  should I pursue this idea? "outlook good"   My favorite response is "It is decidedly so!"  Often I know the response, but sometimes it gives me pause.

I'm a poor journal keeper - I just don't write things down.  But I do enjoy going through threads here and seeing the ups and downs as I post through the months, its like MDC has provided me a mini journal that I (along with many other people) can look back on.  love.gif

maybe with age comes cynicism and sarcasm.  i was working on something longer with loads of cynicism and sarcasm but i'll spare you all the gory gunky cruft. 

#69 of 521 Old 01-03-2011, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter

I had an idea and I wish all of you could attend.  I want to have a potluck focused on positive energy.  This means that while are making their food item to bring, I'd like them to think positive, caring thoughts and push that energy into the food.  

As we all gather and share food, we'd be taking in all that wonderful energy.

What do you think?  Does it sound nice... Or just dumb?  Sheepish.gif

#70 of 521 Old 01-03-2011, 02:23 PM

Sounds good to me!

bellycast.gifI am the Goddess, I am the Mother, all acts of love and pleasure are my rituals.dust.gif
#71 of 521 Old 01-03-2011, 02:55 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ktg_ View Post

maybe with age comes cynicism and sarcasm.  i was working on something longer with loads of cynicism and sarcasm but i'll spare you all the gory gunky cruft. 

Oh and I am a poor picker-uper on cynicism and sarcasm in a text based environment. The words epic fail come to my mind! 

#72 of 521 Old 01-03-2011, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaofthree View Postmaia: can M go with you to disney world? i hate to say it but i LOVE disney land. lol we are planning a trip there for this coming october. 

Nope. Not an option. Nor does he want to. It'd be fun, though! Plus, though, this'd be "girl-time". She's my age and my best friend from later high school years. It just wouldn't be the same with a guy. Especially one that one of us is so head-over-heels for!

I realized Easter is in March, and if I can swing it, I can probably visit M around the 10th, then go to Florida during Easter break. It'll be expensive, and exhausting, but really, M and I are cheap dates, and if it's nice out, we can walk a lot, go to the library, the park, there's a free museum that I haven't seen yet. And like I said, my cousin wants to do FL on the cheap, too, so at least we have a meeting of the minds on that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ktg_ View PostMy magic 8-ball lives at work...

M thinks it's endlessly funny that I have stuff that "lives" places lol.gif It must be a Mom thing. He has grown dd's, but I don't think he said that when they were little. Now he's flipping because my mom bought me a GPS for Christmas-- and I named her. Yes, her. It's a female voice, and I do believe it's the same one in every GPS (at least the ones I've seen/heard), but the brand is something with a G and the model is Nuvi-- so her name is Nuvi. I think of her as my little robot friend, like Rosie in The Jetsons, sort of. Or Thing from Addams Family. M was like "It's a f***ing piece of software!!" and I'm like "Um..no. It's Nuvi!" ROTFLMAO.gif

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

#73 of 521 Old 01-03-2011, 04:01 PM

Maia - Maybe i'll name our GPS Hecate, seeing that she is all about crossroads. :)

ktg - you missed my cynicism and sarcasm because i vanquished it before i hit "submit".

there was something else i was going to share... but i've forgotten... hrm... 

DOK - lovely idea!  when are we doing this?  we could time it with the folks who do the crystal web ritual on the 11th of every month, then it might be an extra powerful push of postive energy..

#74 of 521 Old 01-03-2011, 04:08 PM

Quote:
1) Witch means Wiccan, to me, and I'm not Wiccan --

Right, that was the rub for me as well. I ID'd as such for a time. Wasn't right. Or it was, but then it wasn't. wild.gif Clear as mud right? I've really come to a place where I am a Pagan Buddhist and I am a witch. I practice witchcraft and magic as part of my religious tradition. It feels good to get all the long winded, run on sentence stuff pared down into something more concrete. lol.

I hear ya on the angsty teen image or the (entirely mislabeled) "feminist spiritual chick who hates all things men" image that the word witch conjures up for some people is it's own thing. At the very least, like a PP mentioned I think, it makes me really aware of how I present myself using the terms Pagan and witch.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
#75 of 521 Old 01-03-2011, 04:50 PM

74 posts in dec. 73 in jan. that will take me a while, lol! 

happy 2011! hope all are well! 

mo3, i'm so sad we didnt make it up to phx, but i got sick, so we stayed home. :-(

we had a really nice time (for the most part...some intense family drama, which ended with half the family mad at me and half the family happy i took the brunt of the anger of the other half..... which is nice, except that i'm the only F... the rest are Ts, and maybe wouldnt have spent a whole day crying over it, like i did? hmmm. lol!) other than poor ds throwing up most of xmas eve... and then being up (and better!) from 10 pm til 1230.... which actually was quite magical, and i will always remember it. :-) 

really need a save draft function on mdc. really really. ok, i'll come back later....... 

hugs to all!

xoxoxoxox

#76 of 521 Old 01-03-2011, 05:22 PM

Quote:

cari (goddess of the multiquote, i bow down before you) - re the energy - my mentor is quite ritualistic in his approach to dealing with patients.  he chit chats for a few minutes once the patient enters his exam room because he wants to let the energy settle down.  i just never noticed disturbed energy before - probably because we don't visit family very often and when we do, it is usually for a short fly-by visit, with others coming and going a lot, so the energy never does settle.  it's kinda like when i finally felt someone's deranged (i.e., not so normal) pulse - really felt, not simply counting the beats - i finally had a sense of what "not normal" felt like.  it was this same way with the energy.

ROTFLMAO.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthMommy80 View Post

Aww I haven't been here in many moons.  I miss the discussions even if I was never as involved as I'd like. 

Anyways!  Happy new year, sisters!!!

I've been busy, busy with (fashion design, woo hoo!!) school, and kids and such.  I came to browse around mdc and this is always my first stop.

Just wanted to say hello and wish everyone a fun and fruitful 2011! namaste.gif

welcome back :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaofthree View Post

i just read a scary birth story. i wasn't expecting it to be scary so that is why i read it. i thought dr were not suppose to use cytotec any more. *shudders*

anyway off to bed. 

h

You should not be reading birth stories with one week to go woman!  You'll make yourself a nervous wreck, you should be affirming that YOUR birth will be beautiful, and peaceful and have wonderful outcomes all around!     That being said, despite being on my 4th vbac,  with Quinn the doc actually started trying to suggest 'the gel', which is cytotec I believe.  I in no uncertain terms educated her that prostoglandin gel should NEVER be used to induce labour on a mama with a uterine scar!  and next visit I printed up a buttload of info from a respected US medical site and acog as well. :lol    One of these years I will be a midwife and I'm already ahead of most OBs as far as things like that! ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View Post

I need some "stay calm, stay healthy" vibes... this past month has taken more out of me than I knew.  Today we go back to our "normal" routines (DH had the last week off due to the miracle of academic calendars) and I just don't know how I'm going to muddle through.  I've been getting maybe 5 hours of sleep a night, I'm double busy during the day, and while I adore my brother/sil and don't want them to leave... their being here means almost daily interaction with my mom.  Which is more stress than any human should have to endure.  LOL  I'm worn to a nubbins!  I know it sounds silly, but I could surely use some happy thoughts.

Joyful! 

Oh dear, you poor thing!  Thinking peaceful thoughts for you ;)

Quote:

I am SUCH a crap journaler! lol.  I will write something, then pick up the book again 6months later hehehe.  So don't feel bad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aubergine68 View Post

Hugs, Clay!

1) Witch means Wiccan, to me, and I'm not Wiccan -- I have not (yet) done a year-and-a-day initiation program of any witchy flavor, although I'm considering a couple, and I think the word Witch would be more appropriate when/if I've completed such a program.  There is also the matter of a mother figure/spiritual mentor in my life who is very Christian and would be distressed if I came out of the broom closet.  She's in her eighties now.  If I'm going to experiment with the label "witch" - and it would be pure experimentation for me at this point - I can wait till it doesn't matter to her anymore.   I think of myself as "spiritually eclectic with a strong affinity/affection for various sorts of Paganism and New Agery."  

I am of the 'all wiccans are witches, but not all witches are wiccans' school of thought.  I also distinguish between Witch (capital) and witch (lower case), as I consider Witch to be the more formal, structured, regimented Wiccan type of witchcraft... what I do is totally lower case ;)  Rather like me... I'm just too laid back for all that capitalization I guess? lol 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaughterOfKali View Post

I had an idea and I wish all of you could attend.  I want to have a potluck focused on positive energy.  This means that while are making their food item to bring, I'd like them to think positive, caring thoughts and push that energy into the food.  

It''s a brilliant idea if all of the ppl involved will participate with an open heart! (and open mouth hehe) 

Quote:

Maia - Maybe i'll name our GPS Hecate, seeing that she is all about crossroads. :)

LOL (maia, ifs it a Garmin?  that's what ours is... and I don't think we have the same voice as  we can make ours have an aussie accent lol)  bluets.. that is an epic name for a gps!

We just took dh's van in to hopefully fix it once & for all... I'm hoping it's under 1k ... we strongly suspect the alternator has got to be replaced *sigh*   Wish us luck. 

In other news, stopped at the park on the way home, and then when we got here we threw the boys in the pool hehehe.  It's now overcast so dh & I decided it was time to do the lawns and potter about in the garden :)  then we might fall in the pool lol

aweyn.. UGH,  always family drama lurking somewhere at this time of year!  Happy 2011!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aweynsayl View Post

74 posts in dec. 73 in jan. that will take me a while, lol! 

happy 2011! hope all are well! 

mo3, i'm so sad we didnt make it up to phx, but i got sick, so we stayed home. :-(

we had a really nice time (for the most part...some intense family drama, which ended with half the family mad at me and half the family happy i took the brunt of the anger of the other half..... which is nice, except that i'm the only F... the rest are Ts, and maybe wouldnt have spent a whole day crying over it, like i did? hmmm. lol!) other than poor ds throwing up most of xmas eve... and then being up (and better!) from 10 pm til 1230.... which actually was quite magical, and i will always remember it. :-) 

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
#77 of 521 Old 01-03-2011, 05:33 PM

Yes, Garmin, I think that's it. Cari, MORE van problems?? NO way.

Yeah, speaking of family drama...I know my mom was all visitored-out by the time we and her boyfriend left, but still, I'm on her FB friends and she should know better than to post "can you say stressful?" about the past week???? I mean, c'mon, and then to post me privately about how wonderful a time it was and thanks for all the lovely presents. WTF, eh?

Oh yeah, and she had to say "disinfected" both bathrooms. Not "cleaned", but "disinfected", as if her BF and my ds and I all are infectious. Lovely.

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

#78 of 521 Old 01-03-2011, 06:55 PM

maia: lol i'm sorry but that gave me a chuckle. maybe she forgot you were a FB friend. 

clay: my dd uses the word nubbins. lol i thought she was the only one. i can't imagine my mom staying with us for more then an evening any more.  sheesh. ((hug))

awey: hey there! no problem. you gotta get better. holiday stress and sickness are no fun. ((hug))

DofK: i totally believe 100% when preparing food how you feel does effect the out come of the food. that is why when i am cooking/baking i try to always be in a good space. it reminds me of that scientist in japan (i think) who did that water and word experiment with the ice crystals. i mean most food is made up of water so why wouldn't your intentions alter it? i guess some people don't think that way, but i do. lol i guess that is where i work my magic. maybe then i identify as a kitchen witch in a way. i have noticed lately (as in the last couple of years) that my cooking has gotten better, not so much because i am doing alot of stuff differently, BUT i feel because i feel better doing it and i try to be in a good space while cooking. and you know what? people notice. when we had t-day dinner at our house, my food was good. i am not trying to brag, but it was really tasty... when we went to my folks for x-mas dinner my mom's food wasn't. it seemed to lack something... maybe a happy soul making it?

h

mama to 6 amazing children joy.gif married to my main man for 21 years love.gif and finally home FULL time dishes.gifhang.gifknit.gif

#79 of 521 Old 01-04-2011, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiasaura View Post

I identify as "Pagan" to non-Pagans, and "Witch" to those In The Know winky.gif

This is how I would do it as well. 

Quote:

Sounds brilliant!!

earth.gif lovin, treehugger.gif  veggie

#80 of 521 Old 01-04-2011, 04:35 AM

I can't really decide how to identify. For my family and others "not in the know", Pagan is just as scary a term as Witch or Wiccan, so I almost feel it would be better for them that I identify as a Witch. I have not been initiated officially into any coven or anything, but I have unofficially been. On fb I have myself down as one of the mamas on here does, as an Earth Loving Daughter of the Goddess.

bellycast.gifI am the Goddess, I am the Mother, all acts of love and pleasure are my rituals.dust.gif
#81 of 521 Old 01-04-2011, 04:43 AM

Morning:) 

Today is the first day I feel almost 100%.  On the agenda today, clean this house that has sat for the last week and is way over due!  It's never ending the cleaning. 

Aubergine, I would not describe myself as Wiccan either,  I would say Pagan.  I don't think of Wiccan and Witch as the same though.  To me you could be Wiccan and not be a Witch or be any other religion and be a Witch too.  I think of myself as a Witch no matter what other path I take. 

Is anyone else tired of the Winter?  I hate to wish the days away but I am ready for Spring.  I need to open some windows.  I feel so shut off from everything.  I think I am ready for a move to a warmer place.  I enjoy the seasons just wish they were a bit milder.

earth.gif lovin, treehugger.gif  veggie

#82 of 521 Old 01-04-2011, 04:46 AM

I'm ready for winter to be over too! But that's partly because my house is always cold and I keep getting sick. The other part is I wanna run around outside barefoot!

#83 of 521 Old 01-04-2011, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiasaura View Post

Yes, Garmin, I think that's it. Cari, MORE van problems?? NO way.

Yeah, speaking of family drama...I know my mom was all visitored-out by the time we and her boyfriend left, but still, I'm on her FB friends and she should know better than to post "can you say stressful?" about the past week???? I mean, c'mon, and then to post me privately about how wonderful a time it was and thanks for all the lovely presents. WTF, eh?

Oh yeah, and she had to say "disinfected" both bathrooms. Not "cleaned", but "disinfected", as if her BF and my ds and I all are infectious. Lovely.

Not really more van problems.. the van is just still overheating.  We think that the alternator may need to be replaced, as a belt on it turns the fan that cools the engine.  For some reason the stabilizing bracket keeps breaking, so we think the alternator has some issue that is causing excessive vibration, which makes the belt 'slip' instead of turning the fan (only when the van goes over 50mph though).  The mechanic we are going to seemed to think we're on the right track  and said he's almost certain he can have it on the road again by the end of the week ;)

and LOL your mother is a fb noob :P  why don't you post a reply to her status saying "yeah it sure was mom,  but thanks for having us anyway' 

Quote:
Originally Posted by redveg View Post

Today is the first day I feel almost 100%.  On the agenda today, clean this house that has sat for the last week and is way over due!  It's never ending the cleaning. 

Glad you're about back to normal :)  Nothing worse than the crud that just will.not.DIE!

Think sunny thoughts for us mamas!   We talked to the parents via skype and got the ok to 'steal' their car hehe... we have gathered up the boys swim gear and are heading out at 7am for a partial day trip to the beach!  It takes about 1.5hrs to get where we are going, so we'll get there before it's horribly hot and have a couple of hours even before the crowds descend.  By noon we'll be eating fish & chips by the ocean, and heading home :)   Despite the proximity, we haven't hit the beach for a couple of years now.... so I'm greatly looking forward to it!   I always come home from the ocean with a feeling of being cleansed emotionally & refreshed like I slept for a week!

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
#84 of 521 Old 01-04-2011, 06:19 AM

Cari- beach sounds good to me!

REdveg- glad you are feeling better!

I went to a naturopath yesterday and he gave me chinese medicine, my liverchi is sluggish, and he wants me to give up coffee. Did you hear that? Oh no! I hate giving up things, so I am waiting until I can pick up some green tea and then I will switch tea for coffee in the morning. I am also trying melatonin and something I can't remember now. He said that people with IBS often are lacking melatonin, plus it will help my sleep. So I had an accupuncture treatment and a massage, it was nice. I see him in two weeks.

We are doing a bird study, so my goal is to get out of the house sometime this week to view birds around town.

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#85 of 521 Old 01-04-2011, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CariOfOz View Post

I always come home from the ocean with a feeling of being cleansed emotionally & refreshed like I slept for a week!

When I go to the beach (no oceans for us, just lakes), I get back feeling like I could sleep for a week!

Witch vs pagan... Aren't we all goddesses in our own right?  Here's today's goddess post from Leonie: http://www.goddessguidebook.com/goddess-jess-guestposts-my-100-things-to-do-in-2011/

And here's a discussion about what makes one Wiccan: http://www.patheos.com/community/paganportal/2011/01/03/wicca-series-what-makes-someone-wiccan

For the kitchen witches and flower lovers, Henrietta (the herbalist) has a download-and-print calendar for 2011: http://www.henriettesherbal.com/files/articles/calendar-2011-largerpics.pdf

#86 of 521 Old 01-04-2011, 06:55 AM

I never equate witch with Wiccan. I've never been Wiccan, though I do take liberally from their rituals. But "witch" to me implies the practice of the Craft, which I always felt was beyond religion. So I guess I would best label myself as "Eclectic Pagan Witch."

Aeress, that sounds like a great naturopath. I hope you find the answers you seek!

DoK, I think a positively-intentioned potluck sounds fabulous. I hope those who come really put that good energy in their meals.

An update on my grandfather: he may come out of this illness okay after all. he has pneumonia, but he seems to be making progress toward getting better. My big concern, however, is that if he returns to health, will he still enjoy life? Signs indicated that he was being a less active participant before he got sick, so we did all think this was the end. Time will tell, I guess. I just want him to be happy, and if he isn't...I sort of don't see the point for him to hang on.

Come ponder with me about food!
#87 of 521 Old 01-04-2011, 07:14 AM

oy, I too read and read intending to post and catch up, then one or both kiddos need me..

Happy 2011! Fantastic goodvibes.gif for health, love, peace, clarity, money....hee hee did I miss anything?

As I can't figure out multiquote I'll try to remember what I wanted to say and keep it short so I actually get this one submitted!winky.gif

labels-I identify as pagan, witch, and Wiccan. And indeed I identify witchcraft as a secular practice, which people from many religions can and do practice. It's just most often paired with Wicca. And also that not all Wiccans are witches...though I identify as a witch, it's been a while since I've regularly done any heavy magick. I tend more toward daily prayer and a candle and incense, blessings and the occasional minor banishing rituals.  Do so hope to do more proper ritual if we ever get a house and some space for my big altar. For now I have a small shelf up on the wall where I keep crystals, candles, and incense, over which I have hung a pentacle I made from grapevine and copper wire.

divination-anybody besides me love the i-ching?  Absolutely my go-to oracle...feels so natural to me where I feel a struggle with Tarot, though I own a couple decks.

Cari-re:auditory processing issues,if you happen to want, DH works at a world-class hearing institute and would happily have his brain picked.  He's very good! Feel free to PM me.

my word for the year as I start afresh with a GOOD psychotherapist-introspection. Had a meaty session last night...talking about all that abuse is painful. My assignment is finding one thing A DAY I like about myself....oh Goddess that'll be a hard one for me.

Any ideas/links for simple rituals etc. on self-love, affirmation, appreciation, and being kinder to oneself?

love and light to all you mamas!!!

#88 of 521 Old 01-04-2011, 07:38 AM

Good Morning to all you beautiful Goddesses!!  Bluets - You've inspired me this morning with that link!! thumb.gif

Quote:

I think this is a wonderful idea!! I like to believe this is why chicken soup is wonderful and "cures" the flu - besides the science, I think the intention of preparation to nourish and revive someone makes a world of difference. smile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by redveg View Post

<<snip>>. 

Is anyone else tired of the Winter?  I hate to wish the days away but I am ready for Spring.  I need to open some windows.  I feel so shut off from everything.  I think I am ready for a move to a warmer place.  I enjoy the seasons just wish they were a bit milder.

Red - I know the feeling about the cleaning.  I just did some for the holidays, and once again the house looks like it needs an overhaul which will have to wait for this weekend. AND YES to opening the windows!!  I feel you about the winter, I dislike the bitter cold and right now its bitter cold in WI without SNOW, so everything is just brown and dead looking. Its depressing.  gloomy.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aeress View Post

I went to a naturopath yesterday and he gave me chinese medicine, my liverchi is sluggish, and he wants me to give up coffee. Did you hear that? Oh no! I hate giving up things, so I am waiting until I can pick up some green tea and then I will switch tea for coffee in the morning. I am also trying melatonin and something I can't remember now. He said that people with IBS often are lacking melatonin, plus it will help my sleep. So I had an accupuncture treatment and a massage, it was nice. I see him in two weeks.

We are doing a bird study, so my goal is to get out of the house sometime this week to view birds around town.

I will have a cup in honor of you and your liverchi!! caffix.gif   It sounds like a wonderful ND appointment.  Ooh a bird study, that sounds exciting!  I hope you get to see some wonderful creatures!

Quote:
Originally Posted by witchygrrl View Post

An update on my grandfather: he may come out of this illness okay after all. he has pneumonia, but he seems to be making progress toward getting better. My big concern, however, is that if he returns to health, will he still enjoy life? Signs indicated that he was being a less active participant before he got sick, so we did all think this was the end. Time will tell, I guess. I just want him to be happy, and if he isn't...I sort of don't see the point for him to hang on.

That is a wonderful update!  I had you in my thoughts over the holidays.  Is it possible to have him talk to someone about where he sees himself in this process? I think it might help everyone get on the same page especially when care decisions come up again. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewMoonMum View Post

my word for the year as I start afresh with a GOOD psychotherapist-introspection. Had a meaty session last night...talking about all that abuse is painful. My assignment is finding one thing A DAY I like about myself....oh Goddess that'll be a hard one for me.

Any ideas/links for simple rituals etc. on self-love, affirmation, appreciation, and being kinder to oneself?

I remember one of looking into a mirror, and accepting yourself as is, loving that image etc.  - hmmm wait I think I had it posted for this summer's camp.  brb  ETA: http://www.mothering.com/community/forum/thread/1242541/pagan-summer-camp-week-2/20  I think its #33 in the thread.  Basically its what Aubergine suggested... Its a wonderful exercise to just re-affirm self-love and acceptance.

#89 of 521 Old 01-04-2011, 07:40 AM

Potluck sounds good - are you talking about an online potluck, or an irl one you are asking our opinon on?  If online, please set a date; I'll be there!

Have a beautiful day at the beach Cari!  Enjoy it for all of us shivering in cold northern weather!

Interesting discussion on witch/Witch/pagan/goddess/Wiccan.  I see your point, redveg, that a witch can be of any religion.  I appreciate that way of viewing it.

Maia, sorry you had that fb experience with your mom's inappropriate post.  You're handling it better than I would! I'd be v. angry/upset.

Quote:

I'm tired of cold floors and wishing I had some sweaters I felt like wearing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by witchygrrl View Post

Will be thinking good thoughts for your grandfather - thanks for the update.  How are your dh and son doing? Recovered, I hope!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMoonMum View Post
For now I have a small shelf up on the wall where I keep crystals, candles, and incense, over which I have hung a pentacle I made from grapevine and copper wire.

Looking in a mirror and saying "I love you" and genuinely meaning it.  Can be harder than it sounds.  I think I got that from Louise Hay.  I wish you success and progress in your therapy, NMM. Good for you.  It is not easy to make time for that when you have a new babe, but there is never a time when it is more important to clear out the toxic past so that it doesn't damage the present.

I just posted something in the pagan weight loss thread linking a meditation for weight loss that could be adapted to general self-affirmation, I think.

I have to say, when I read that you'd hung a homemade pentacle over your shelf, I realized with a start that I've (almost) done the same thing.  I kept several star ornaments from the tree, including a homemade grapevine one, and hung them over my kitchen window, replacing old things that used to hang there.  I was thinking of the Star card from Tarot, which I have on my TM, but also, that's pretty close to pentacles, isn't it?  Like the word "witch", I'm not (yet) totally comfortable with the pentacle, but it is creeping up on me, I guess. Cool!

#90 of 521 Old 01-04-2011, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

DOK - lovely idea!  when are we doing this?  we could time it with the folks who do the crystal web ritual on the 11th of every month, then it might be an extra powerful push of postive energy..

I'm actually hoping to do it for real... with local friends.  Not sure when, though.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page