January Pagan Circle - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 521 Old 01-06-2011, 09:23 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

FL is "world", CA is "land"  :)

Heard from the dr and... I have to go back for more testing on monday.  LOL  On the very bright side, they've ruled out cancer, ovarian cysts, and other equally unpleasant things so I'm actually feeling kind of joyful!  Monday's testing will be more focused (yesterday was kind of a catch all sweep) and should give us a better picture of what to look for next.

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#122 of 521 Old 01-06-2011, 09:44 AM

Clay- that is JOYFUL news!!  yay!

Val - wishing you healthy vibes to quickly beat that cold/virus/general ugh.  Feel better soon!  I love Disney but more with their association with Pixar and Studio Ghibili.  Some of the other stuff I could take or leave, but yay for family vacations and trips!!

Autumn did you end up getting that book?  It looked interesting from what I saw on Amazon...

Sorry for the quick drive by as I have meditation in 30 minutes.  I have a couple of holiday issues to wrap up including getting the right postage on some Canadian cards (sorry Aubergine/Val!) and getting those out (part deux!). 

Aeress - wishing you an easy transition from coffee to green tea!!

I'm starting to ramp up for DS2 birthday & the party since we're doing a double header party with friends of ours for their daughter too.   I can't believe he'll be 2 in a little over a week (16th!).  *sniffle*  It feels like yesterday he was just a baby and now - he's a giggly, demanding toddler who has mastered the "blinky" eyes to try and get his way.    Maybe this year will be the year I can finish my belly cast and come to peace with that delivery and 2nd c/s.

Love & Light all ya'll

treehugger.gifAnd you who seek to know Me, know that the seeking and yearning will avail you not, unless you know the Mystery: for if that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without.treehugger.gif

#123 of 521 Old 01-06-2011, 10:17 AM

anyone else's luna bar telling them they need a new void of course table? anyone know how to DO that?

clay~ yay for ruling out the worst of the worst, and hopes for concrete answers soon! 

i did read and catch up on all yesterday, but didnt make it to actually replying (so, some of those "view" counts are mine, as it can take me 5-6+ visits to read and get to reply!)...

sending hugs and vibes and happy thoughts to all in need for all various things... my mind is so much in flower essence land, they keep popping in my head as i read (PMS? easter lily! bitting? snapdragon-- gotta love the symbolism there).... i've been reading, at the... ah... urging...;-) of bluets, matthew wood's "7 herbs" and i am in love. my word for the year (the one i drew, not one i chose-- more on that later) is "understanding" (maia, we're word twins! huzzah!)... so taking the time to Understand something, whereas i usually go with just "feeling" it. will be good for me. actually, if i'm honest, that's why i flunked out of gradschool. you cant feel your way to a PhD in intellectual history. (i really want a :lol here, but the smiley function and my computer just do not get along well!) at any rate, i'm putting myself on a mini-study path, and very much looking forward to it.

as for my sitting down and thinking about and picking a word... i feel like that's tied up in my TM... i'm still in the astrological "year" of that, and wont be ready for a new one til aries new moon. like, TM is my "me" new "year" time... kwim? but i did make (uh, "we" made) Family Resolutions, and i want to choose a word that fits those. anyone got a word that somehow encompasses "greater hands-on creative crafting of our lives"? things like-- making more meals *together*... playing games together... reading books *together*.... and making seasonal decorations/crafts-- you got it: TOGETHER.

maybe our word should be "together"! lol

dh's schedule is still in academia-insane-land for the rest of this semester, but HOPEFULLY this will be the last semester! (he started when ds was 5 months old.... he'll be 5 years old in april. <whew>) and then we will have much more Togetherness. but my december "blues" (and you know i cant blame SAD, when i'm swimming in the sun half the days of the week!) i know was rooted in lack of Togetherness, so i'm determined to grab it when we can and make the most of it. that's a bit of a challenge, given dh's schedule-- he works most evenings, and that is really hard on me. (although, plugging a FE here, i used to be Utterly Terrified Each And Every Night, til i started taking Mimulus. and now, i'm really amazingly great with it.)

i loved reading all your replies to the "how do you id/label" conversation. it's a challenging one for me-- since i tend to "feel" things, i dont do well following anything "set" so i tend to not feel like i CAN label myself. it's one of those things all tied-up in itself.... i dont feel "informed" enough to label myself, but i dont feel right following anything set, so i linger in wishey-washey land and feel rather down on myself for not being "able" to pick some label and use it confidently. but when i just let myself Be (aka"feel")... i do wonderful things. but then i feel like i "should" use a label, and it all starts over......... 

ok, blabeldy-blab! :-) hugs and sunshine to all! (yes, i'm ready for more warmpth too. i am realizing i'm very very glad we moved back to sun-heat-land... because the cold really gets to me. :-(

xoxoxoxoxoxox

#124 of 521 Old 01-06-2011, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ktg_ View PostI'm starting to ramp up for DS2 birthday & the party since we're doing a double header party with friends of ours for their daughter too.   I can't believe he'll be 2 in a little over a week (16th!).  *sniffle*  It feels like yesterday he was just a baby

I hear ya on that one-- my "baby" is going to be TEN!!! As in YEARS! I don't know where the time goes. There are parts of toddlerhood I really miss, and babyhood-- I really miss the portability of babies. But I do not at all miss the constant hands-on and following that has to be done with toddlers. I love the independence of this age. But I hate the snarkiness and disrespect, and I know that's only going to get worse  before it gets better greensad.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by aweynsayl View Postanyone else's luna bar telling them they need a new void of course table? anyone know how to DO that?

my word for the year (the one i drew, not one i chose-- more on that later) is "understanding" (maia, we're word twins! huzzah!)... so taking the time to Understand something, whereas i usually go with just "feeling" it.

Yes. Mine. And I don't know what to do about it. I've been clicking on various things and coming up nada. I'd love to make it stop!

My "understanding" is a little different from yours, though. Mine involves understanding where other people are coming from, instead of being all wrapped up in my own agenda and my own feelings. But still-- word twins is fun, yay! joy.gif

Thinking about you, Clay hug2.gif

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

#125 of 521 Old 01-06-2011, 12:49 PM

joyful thoughts for all who need them.

i got to do bodywork yesterday on a real client, not just torturing another intern or my mentor.  the best part: i cracked something in the client's foot (OOPS) but received a "oo, that felt good" response.  i still need to figure out how to move my body around the table in a manner that i don't get fatigued quickly.  at home, i practice on dh but i don't have an exam table, so i fumble around on the floor - when confronted with someone on the exam table, my mind goes blank momentarily: "uh... how do i do this?"

i'm steeping myself in dandelion - mentally for the moment.  but what better way to visualize the returning sun and the longer days than to wish for signs of dandelion leaves in the garden.  we're going to be making dandelion flower essence and dandelion tinctures this spring, as part of my formulation of a midwest weedy materia medica.  i think i'm also going to be fostering patches of yarrow in the lawn (how to mark them so dh doesn't mow them is another mystery) and planting comfrey seeds in the compost.

aweyn, glad you're enjoying "7 herbs".  next assignment is Wood's "Vitalism".  my mentor likened Vitalism to "The Book" of AA (The Bible, that is).   "<bluets>, you know, when you're in AA, they tell you to read 'The Book'.  so you go off to read it.  when you're done, you're told to read it again.  Wood's 'Vitalism' is like that.  now that you've read it, you should go back and read it again.  but don't feel that you have to do it immediately."  just when i thought i had removed one book from my "must read" list, it reappears.  so not fair.

my word is BALANCE.  i doodled it so it is a page marker in my datebook.  i think i need to balance the "searching and gathering" tendency i have with the "doing" that i need to incorporate.

this thought of energy the other day... THAT is what i dislike most about work (the one that pays me, not the work i'm now loving doing!).  my office, in particular.  it suffers from stagnant chi.  sadly, there's not much i can do to decor to spruce it up - cream-colored painted concrete block walls are not conducive to posters or pretties.  the window is far from my desk, and it doesn't let in much light, so plants are out of the question.  i'll be moving into a new-to-me space within 6 months or so - space that won't have any windows (though it won't be in the basement), so i'm loathe to get attached to plants that won't have any survival hope in the next space.  ideas for improving the energy in my office at work?

Jennifer, Naturopath and mom

#126 of 521 Old 01-06-2011, 02:18 PM

Typing w/toddler sleeping in one arm.  Please excuse brevity!

Clay, I'm glad your dr. is working with you and that you aren't looking at the worst of the really bad possibilities anymore.

I want to read 7 herbs and Vitalism and tag along on  your journey, bluets.  thanks so much for sharing info so generously.

Love reading about yr journey too, aweyn.  I like what you say about the tm and personal vs familial New Year.  So glad you are happy in the warm, sunshiney you!

Mimulus, eh?  *taking notes*

aweyn, you mentioned a do-your-own-tarot-deck camp last month.  If you are moved to do that, I'm so there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn Breeze View Post

Has anyone ever read Natural Magick - The Essential Witch's Grimoire by Sally Dubats? I found it at a little new/used book shop over near my parents the other day. (I was waiting on my van to be serviced, they were taking forever and the kids were bored....I got lucky and found a book store :) ) I never seem to have the time to read, so I have a huge stack of books.

Let us know if you enjoy it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluets View Post

this thought of energy the other day... THAT is what i dislike most about work (the one that pays me, not the work i'm now loving doing!).  my office, in particular.  it suffers from stagnant chi.  sadly, there's not much i can do to decor to spruce it up - cream-colored painted concrete block walls are not conducive to posters or pretties.  the window is far from my desk, and it doesn't let in much light, so plants are out of the question.  i'll be moving into a new-to-me space within 6 months or so - space that won't have any windows (though it won't be in the basement), so i'm loathe to get attached to plants that won't have any survival hope in the next space.  ideas for improving the energy in my office at work?

feng shui crystal? Turn off overhead lights and get a nice lamp?  dye a silk veil from Dharma trading and hang from the ceiling down one wall? Photos of your 7 herbs and your weedy medicine plants taped to the wall (or hung if not a concrete wall).  A disco ball?  A candle lit  or a small fountain running while you are working? A fish in a large bowl or small tank, with a light and plants?  One of those individual solar light herb growing units?

#127 of 521 Old 01-06-2011, 04:56 PM

Aubergine,

feng shui crystal? Turn off overhead lights and get a nice lamp?  dye a silk veil from Dharma trading and hang from the ceiling down one wall? Photos of your 7 herbs and your weedy medicine plants taped to the wall (or hung if not a concrete wall).  A disco ball?  A candle lit  or a small fountain running while you are working? A fish in a large bowl or small tank, with a light and plants?  One of those individual solar light herb growing units?

superb ideas!  i share the space currently with at least 1 very shy Chinese scientist (who doesn't speak a lick of English).  i think the disco ball might freak him out and i know he likes the lights on full blast.  candles are taboo here but i'm loving the fountain idea and the plant mini-glasshouse.  the last fish tank i had ended with more snails than fish :)  hee hee.

#128 of 521 Old 01-06-2011, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aubergine68 View Post

Let us know if you enjoy it!

I will :) I'm a pretty slow reader these days though :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiasaura View Post

I hear ya on that one-- my "baby" is going to be TEN!!! As in YEARS! I don't know where the time goes. There are parts of toddlerhood I really miss, and babyhood-- I really miss the portability of babies. But I do not at all miss the constant hands-on and following that has to be done with toddlers. I love the independence of this age. But I hate the snarkiness and disrespect, and I know that's only going to get worse  before it gets better greensad.gif

Our babies are the same age lol. I can't believe he's going to be t-e-n!! EEEKS I really did think people were crazy for saying "like it was just yesterday" but it really can't have been more than 3 or 4 years since we went home from the hospital....can it?? And yes, the snark, disrespect and selfishness....only gonna intensify isn't it.

~Autumn~   Mama to whistling.gif (2001) and hearts.gif(2005) partners.gif madly in love since '99 
#129 of 521 Old 01-06-2011, 06:51 PM

have a quick question: what have you used in the past to help with acne? i was toying with getting dd proactive, but i have read it is really drying and expensive. i never had real acne problems as a teen because i was on birth control pretty early. she wants something to help with the "T" zone issues and won't be too drying. thanks

h

mama to 6 amazing children joy.gif married to my main man for 21 years love.gif and finally home FULL time dishes.gifhang.gifknit.gif

#130 of 521 Old 01-06-2011, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaofthree View Post

have a quick question: what have you used in the past to help with acne? i was toying with getting dd proactive, but i have read it is really drying and expensive. i never had real acne problems as a teen because i was on birth control pretty early. she wants something to help with the "T" zone issues and won't be too drying. thanks

h

I have struggled with acne from 12 to 31 when I was pg with DS.  I never did proactive, but salicylic acid is what helped the most for topical issues. Nearly all acne products are salicylic acid or benzyl peroxide.  Neutragena for store products. I also got a vial of salicylic acid set in an oil from Aveda that i could just dab on as needed. I have oily skin but dry flaky and zitty is very possible with many acne products. I ended up having the best luck with doing frequent but mild scrubs (salt & honey), mild "acid" exfoliators (honey, lemon and tea tree oil), and masks (I really liked the ones from "Origins" and "Aveda"). Egg yolk masks are really good in the midst of a break out too (natural retinol I believe). I also pretty much stopped using any soap. I think my skin responded to "washing" by producing more oil to protect the skin. For lotion, especially during a break out plain olive oil or grapeseed oil was best. Witch Hazel astringent is good for the T-zone too, just make sure it doesn't have too high an alcohol content. Humphreys makes a nice alcohol free one.  Of course it took me until I was about 20 to figure out that products left on the skin were the problem. 

Liza - Bird watching, tree hugging, dirt eating, kinda-crunchy momma to my cub (3) and bird (1). treehugger.gifcold.gifdust.gifflower.gif
#131 of 521 Old 01-07-2011, 04:34 AM

Quote:

my word is BALANCE.

I am torn between balance or focus.  I might just need both of them. 

Morning all:)

Thinking good thoughts, sending positive vibes for health/get well to all who need.  Just doing a quick stop here today.  DH went to work but DS stayed home.  This bug is on it's way out but fighting us all the way!   I hope everyone has a great weekend.  On my agenda, my DD invited some friends over so we are going to have wii wars!!!  A group of teens against the old folks!

earth.gif lovin, treehugger.gif  veggie

#132 of 521 Old 01-07-2011, 04:50 AM

acne- tee tree oil or grapefruit seed extract are both good... they can be dabbed onto specific bumps or added to a facial wash.

SNOW!  The last few days were wicked cold but totally snow free (everything melted in the odd new year's day near 40 heat flash).  Today everything is back to "winter" under 2-3 inches of fresh white snow.  I'm ready for spring lol but at least with the snow it's pretty!

Did everyone have a good 12 Night?  We told stories and snuggled, then while the kiddos slept La Befana came... yesterday morning the kiddos woke up to a clean house (I packed all the holiday stuff away, dh stripped the tree and took it outside, I re-did all the altars and nature tables) and to little trinkets in their shoes.  Laia got a tiny wooden unicorn and Ro got a tiny wooden pegasus (made by a local woodcarver, they're just a few inches high and very "rustic" but cute) and they're sharing a copy of the Unicorn Alphabet (found it at the thrift store for 99 cents!).  Torin got a Handy Manny tool box and fabric tools (also from the thrift shop, the whole thing cost two dollars).  And they all got oranges.  It was fun, and WOW does the house feel bigger without the tree.  :)

office energy- what about a battery operated or plug in salt crystal "lamp"?  They're supposed to help purify the area, the light they put out is gentle (so probably wont distract others and with the room lights on it'll be subtle), and there's no flame to worry about.  What about a little desk-top rock garden?  Check out the boxed "desk top gizmo" section of Borders or B&N (usually near the register or stationary)... "zen" rock gardens, battery oprated mini-fountains, snow domes filled with glittter and inspirational words (often you can slip pictures into them as well so you're "showering" your picture with the words), tiny windchimes that can be hung from the ceiling/wall/banana stand, a bowl of beads to run through your fingers, a bowl of potpouri?  And what about cards?  Can you put nifty cards on a cubby wall or stand them along a shelf over your desk/bench?

mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#133 of 521 Old 01-07-2011, 06:23 AM

Salt lamp- they also have salt tea lights, which you could use with a battery operated light. I love my salt lamp, I notice the area around it is calmer, quieter and more relaxed- negative ions removed. :) I have my lamp right next to me computer area..

I had planned to do something for 12th night but the night got away from me.

Acne- I am still dealing with it at almost 35. :(

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#134 of 521 Old 01-07-2011, 06:53 AM

Well, today ends our Literature unit on Greek Mythology. I enjoyed it, though it was much too short. I could do that all year. I hope he does well on his assessment (which he's currently taking)...in all honesty I hope today is a short school day. We started late, but we usually do on Friday. I WAS hoping to play catch up today, but yeah, I can just tell that's not happening, and that's ok.

Tomorrow is his "last" test for the ADHD/ADD/whatever other thing they're looking at..evaluation. After that I plan on doing a little shopping and then having dinner out with some friends. I hope it works out. I can use a night out lol

~Autumn~   Mama to whistling.gif (2001) and hearts.gif(2005) partners.gif madly in love since '99 
#135 of 521 Old 01-07-2011, 07:31 AM

ooooo!!!  new fabric art book with BIRD patterns (not yet released though): http://www.amazon.com/Artful-Bird-Feathered-Friends-Make/dp/1596682388 and http://www.interweavestore.com/Sewing/Books/The-Artful-Bird.html

------

acne...  I'd attack it from the inside out, because that where the source for the pimples arises - it's the body's way of expelling something (only the skin is just a terribly inefficient organ of excretion!).  Here's a great article (but with Fallon's writing, sometimes you have to hold your nose at the dogmatic style, and focus just on the information): http://www.westonaprice.org/health-issues/2023-skin-deep.html.  Cell salts are great for acne.  It's a problem of drainage - any of the "sulph" salts (calc sulph, nat sulph) along with bioplasma, perhaps silica as well  (but if you want to dabble, just start with bioplasma). Nutritionally, focus on foods high in sulphur (e.g., onions, broccoli) along with vitamin C (I tend to get hairs that have trouble emerging when I'm low in vitamin C), vitamin A (cod liver oil is my preferred source), magnesium, zinc, good fats like butter, coconut oil, avocado (which supplies vit. E), and a good liver supportive food like dandelion leaves/root.  If those don't work, then I'd move to doing a food diary to see if it is just hormonal or if it has food triggers (dairy and wheat, of course, would be the first common ones to consider).  Externally, I wouldn't use much beyond witch hazel, perhaps with a drop of TTO.  Since she's a teenager, perhaps start with one thing like the witch hazel + TTO, then start examining it from the inside-out and change only one thing every other week depending on how the previous change is working.  It's important to meet her where she's at.

[*thwap* I should have thought of this first since it's in my histology course (which I just can't seem to finish - there's no end to it!) *thwap*]  

Your gut lining is ultimately made up of the same types of cells as those forming your skin.  If your skin is not as beautiful as you desire, then your gut lining will be in a similar same of disarray.  And THAT is really why I would focus on gut health rather than on skin health directly. :)   

-------

bummer!  all the outlets in my office are along one wall.  the space where i could put something and see it while i work is on the wall without outlets.  hrm.  it's a really awkward space - long and narrow and i'm closest to the door (facing the door - so people coming in think i'm a receptionist or something; that assumption makes me really cranky).

-----

crazy ds.  i tossed all our leftover meat (a little steak, a random burger or two, a few sausages) into a pot with carrots, potato and broccoli and some chicken broth.  "YUM, mama.  THIS IS VERY YUMMY."  it took me all of 10 minutes to toss everything into the pot, then 20 minutes of sitting on my butt catching up on some reading.  i should be more random in the future.

have a lovely day everyone!

#136 of 521 Old 01-07-2011, 09:58 AM

Morning Everyone - I just got back from the dentist and I am still nummmmmmbed up after their work on my 4 cavities.  I am very grateful for my work this week with meditation and relaxation because having your jaw wrenched open for 2 hours is just no fun.   Up next - trying to have my morning cup of coffee.  Oh let the fun begin orngtongue.gif

The salt lamps sound wonderful *off to google now* ... fascinating information about skin/gut health and their links to each other.

acne - my worst spots are my chin & nose (with dry patches on my cheeks) I love now to use honey schmear it on, wait like 2 minutes and wash off.  Sometimes with salt as an exfolixator is nice,along with some oats too.  I personally now stay away from soaps because they are too drying both on my cheeks and in the T-zone area.  I wash just once a day in the morning to help wake up, but I have heard good things about the oil-cleaning method especially at night.  I used to use a solid bar  from Lush which essentially is oils, rub it on, and remove excess with a warm wet washcloth.  I had awesome skin, and not very many breakouts ever.  I stopped because 1. I was getting so much from LUSH that it was $$$$, and 2. I've been reading some about their ingrediants and parabens. FYI If that is an issue for you.

Clay - glad to hear you got snow again.  We've had the same weather here in WI and finally had some light dustings of snow to make it winter again. 

Autumn - love that greek mythology!

Red - Glad to hear that bug is on its way out the door for your house! 

Love & Light everyone ... I'm off to try and eat some lunch without it falling out the left side of my mouth ;)

treehugger.gifAnd you who seek to know Me, know that the seeking and yearning will avail you not, unless you know the Mystery: for if that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without.treehugger.gif

#137 of 521 Old 01-07-2011, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View Post

Did everyone have a good 12 Night?  We told stories and snuggled, then while the kiddos slept La Befana came... yesterday morning the kiddos woke up to a clean house (I packed all the holiday stuff away, dh stripped the tree and took it outside, I re-did all the altars and nature tables) and to little trinkets in their shoes.  Laia got a tiny wooden unicorn and Ro got a tiny wooden pegasus (made by a local woodcarver, they're just a few inches high and very "rustic" but cute) and they're sharing a copy of the Unicorn Alphabet (found it at the thrift store for 99 cents!).  Torin got a Handy Manny tool box and fabric tools (also from the thrift shop, the whole thing cost two dollars).  And they all got oranges.  It was fun, and WOW does the house feel bigger without the tree.  :)

Wombat, can you be my mommy? Seriously, I had it in my head, vaguely, that we would celebrate Three Kings this year, but... I will blame having the baby in the home!

BTW, for those of you who have nature tables or altars that change with the season, what do you currently have on your table? Mine is looking pretty bare, which I guess is fitting for winter, perhaps...

Partner to Rbikenew.gif ('03); Parent to T read.gif('07), Aviolin.gif ('10), and E ecbaby2.gif ('13)

femalesling.GIFhomeschool.gifchicken3.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif 

#138 of 521 Old 01-07-2011, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by revolting View Post

BTW, for those of you who have nature tables or altars that change with the season, what do you currently have on your table? Mine is looking pretty bare, which I guess is fitting for winter, perhaps...

i was beset upon with an urge to get some blue jay "stuff" so i sent dh some hints for birthday surprises (but given that i was tardy giving it to him and that he hasn't done anything with it, it will likely be a post-birthday surprise - i'm not so big on surprises but i do like giving him a list of options and seeing what it is that he picks from the list).  i was reading someone's summary of correspondences for January (Mrs. B's perhaps?  PaganPages?) and it mentioned blue jays.  now i'm fixated on them.  penguins, polar bears, seals, arctic/antarctic stuff otherwise would be little knick-knacky things that i have.  i keep my star ornaments up because they remind me of snowflakes.  i suppose i should put the reindeer away though.  i once got a fancy maple leaf shaped bottle that used to hold maple syrup, and i liked it so much that i put red plastic "gems" inside.  if i had another one, i'd fill it now with blue "gems".  i'm fixated on blue - vibrant blue jay shade of blue.

if ever you need ideas for altar crafts to display, follow the "Crafty Crow" blog.  she's got seasonal crafts all. the. time.  i do a lot of thinking "oh we should do that" and less actually doing (ds just doesn't like doing crafts at home.  except coloring "action" pictures of star wars battles.)

#139 of 521 Old 01-07-2011, 02:51 PM

I think my word is "Power". Where is the power in my life? My decisions? Where is it coming from, whom is it given to, why? And so on. I am really in a phase of NEW stuff. Well, the planning phase of it at least. Perhaps I should add "patience" to the power. ;)

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
#140 of 521 Old 01-07-2011, 06:03 PM

Hum... today, I've been a mother for 20 years! Yep! 20 years!!! Almost unbelievable! lol.gif

The birthday girl is out with her friends - coming back home tomorrow. I'm planning Lava cakes (no flour) to celebrate with her. eat.gif

My computer is acting out. Borrowing DS's laptop. Not a lot of online time...

Love. treehugger.gif

Valérie   
#141 of 521 Old 01-07-2011, 06:05 PM

Wow! Happy Birthing-day, mama! Congrats!

bellycast.gifI am the Goddess, I am the Mother, all acts of love and pleasure are my rituals.dust.gif
#142 of 521 Old 01-07-2011, 08:40 PM

happy bday to her and you mama! My son will be 20 this year so I understand. It flies by!

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
#143 of 521 Old 01-08-2011, 07:06 AM

Quote:

FL is "world", CA is "land"  :)

Heard from the dr and... I have to go back for more testing on monday.  LOL  On the very bright side, they've ruled out cancer, ovarian cysts, and other equally unpleasant things so I'm actually feeling kind of joyful!  Monday's testing will be more focused (yesterday was kind of a catch all sweep) and should give us a better picture of what to look for next.

I never remember that, probably because I have never been to any Disney parks.

Glad to hear the 'bright side' of your test!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ktg_ View Post

Autumn did you end up getting that book?  It looked interesting from what I saw on Amazon...

I did get it, and hopefully I can find more time to sit and read *that* book soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie.Qc View Post

Hum... today, I've been a mother for 20 years! Yep! 20 years!!! Almost unbelievable! lol.gif

Happy Birthday!! To you both!!!

Quote:

Autumn - love that greek mythology!

Me too! I'm disappointed that it was such a short unit. But after seeing his obvious love for it all (between the unit and reading the Percy Jackson books) I am getting ready to find some more 'kid mythology' books.

I hope your mouth is feeling better and you were able to get some coffee in you! That was what I missed most right after a dental procedure...I'm preparing to go in for more too...but I don't know what's next.

#144 of 521 Old 01-08-2011, 08:02 AM

Happy mama-decade day!  Wow!  :)

nature table/altar- Hmmm... we had a family nature table on the piano, a smaller altar in the living room, and then my personal altar in the bedroom.  DH has his personal altar outside and there is the well, firepit, and offering table (a really nifty stump just inside the woods) outside as well. 

Right now the various altars are a bit bare.  The family nature table has a bunch of stones (some from our property, some from previous homes, some gathered over the years from gem shops), candles (including hand dipped ones the kiddos made), a ceramic tile that depicts a leaping stag, a blue ceramic bowl ("the well") and a copper incence burner (there year round), eggshells from our chickens, a few feathers, and handprints.  And our family holy day bowl.

The living room altar has a blue ceramic bowl, a candle (led so I can leave it "burning" unattended), a celtic knot painted candle surround filled with the melted crayon handprints the kids made poking out (looks like flames), a metal owl statue, a mother carrying a child on her back carved from 'legal ivory' (a gift from alaska), a copper knotwork wrist cuff, a small pitcher and covered bowl (the only survivors from a gorgeous antique tea set), and a stack of books.

Hmmmm... it sounds like a lot but really isn't!

#145 of 521 Old 01-08-2011, 10:13 AM

We had a good foot of snowfall last night and still falling. I have to get out and shovel some more , at minus 22 C, but = maybe  one more cup of hot tea first....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaofthree View Post

h

My dd has acne - she never wears make up and it seems to fluctuate with her cycle and gets worse when she isn't eating well or when she showers less.  It improved when she started wearing her hair off her face.  It was pretty bad earlier this week for hormonal and Chrismas junk food reasons, I think - red, angry, inflamed bumps and whiteheads on her face chest and shoulders, After reading bluets' suggestions, I gave her some bioplasma (as I'm taking it myself, anyway) and after a few doses her acne is *gone* - well, you can see it drying up where it was really bad but an amazing improvement!  I was not expecting anything so dramatic! Much cheaper/healther than proactive!  My own skin is much improved too, but my adult acne mostly cleared up by my thirties and I'm on some other stuff so not as dramatic.

I hope the wii wars are going well, redveg.

Balance is a great word.  So is Power(ful).  I am oddly attracted to the idea of Random, now, but that is not a word for a mother of young children, or anyone with responsibilities. What an interesting year it would be, though!

Quote:

bummer!  all the outlets in my office are along one wall.  the space where i could put something and see it while i work is on the wall without outlets.  hrm.  it's a really awkward space - long and narrow and i'm closest to the door (facing the door - so people coming in think i'm a receptionist or something; that assumption makes me really cranky).

-----!

An extension cord  in an unobtrusive color clipped or taped around the wall along the baseboard?  I would hate to be thought the receptionist, too.  Facing the door is a good feng shui position, but can you turn the desk around to prevent being seen as receptive?  

I love blue jays too - they make me think of my dad.

So, where do you start when working on gut health?  I just finished 7 weeks of antibiotics (hope I'm done) and have been chugging yogurt, kefir and taking the strongest probiotic my hfs could sell me.  And eating gf, which seems to be good for me overall.  Do you have any links/ suggestions for where I can go to research what else I can be doing to heal my gut/promote gut health?  More fermented foods, maybe.  But all I'm interested in is fermented dairy.  Maybe some blue cheese.  Mmmmmm.

Hope you're feeling better today, ktg.  I hate the sore spots where I had needles after having dental work done. Feel like canker sores.  And the sore jaw, yeah...ouch.

er

e

I used to live near a lush store.  The perfumes gave me a headache, just walking by the outside of it.  The oils in their products do feel wonderful though.

Autumn, I love Greek mythology, too.  The boys were reading Winter king, Summer Queen yesterday, during the snowstorm, and so we read the myth of Persephone and after that some Hawthorne versions of Pandora and Hercules, and then a Polynesian myth about the trickster Maui and how he made all the birds visible to human sight - before, they were just song and the rustle of wings....  So nice to feel healed enough after my oral surgery for a big session of read-aloud, finally. So many stories I want to share with my kids, so little time.  And my 6 yr old read aloud a Robert Munsch book cold, too - his reading is progressing well, and he is only reading English at home (French Immersion). Good thing it seems to be happening naturally, because I feel like I have not been spending much time with him at all, certainly not reading together like I wish we had been.

Happy  Momiversaries, ladies!

Quote:

Originally Posted by revolting View Post

Wombat, can you be my mommy? 

lol.gif I often have this thought while reading Clay's posts!

Quote:

a celtic knot painted candle surround filled with the melted crayon handprints the kids made poking out (looks like flames), a

I'd love to see a picture of this, sounds cool.

#146 of 521 Old 01-08-2011, 10:43 AM

Val- Happy Birthday to your DD and congrats on the 20 yrs! How is DD doing?

Altar- mine has "snow" wool stuffing/polfyill stuff with stars, a forest gnome house and stones, a wooden base for candles (need new ones) amd my spiral candle holder. I used to natural items on there but I had a cat who would play with them and make a mess, so nature items stay by the door or up on the fireplace mantle. I have been needle felting, so may add some critters or goddess figures. I change mine based on the season/wheel.

Got a bunch of snow yesterday, and more to come today. In fact, it is starting to come down right now. Glad we are and warm. Happy day to all!

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#147 of 521 Old 01-08-2011, 11:40 AM

i know we're not supposed to post about news, but if anyone has any spare candles or prayers or vibes for the state of arizona, we'd really appreciate it right now.

_ktg_ likes this.
#148 of 521 Old 01-08-2011, 12:07 PM

Yeah, just heard that on NPR. Good grief. :(

#149 of 521 Old 01-08-2011, 12:30 PM

DH just informed me about the AZ... sending what I've got.  ay ya yi.. 

Thanks for healing thoughts everyone... the jaw is still quite sore but nothing at little advil can't conquer right now. 

#150 of 521 Old 01-08-2011, 01:13 PM

mommas, hug your babies, and keep those prayers coming.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page