January Pagan Circle - Page 7 - Mothering Forums
First ... 5  6  7 8  9  17  ... Last
Spirituality > January Pagan Circle
Valerie.Qc's Avatar Valerie.Qc 05:57 AM 01-10-2011

Quick fly by to say Hi! treehugger.gif

CariOfOz's Avatar CariOfOz 06:15 AM 01-10-2011

Just popping in for a quick post.  I don't know how many of you have seen anything about queenslands' flooding over the recent past?  At this point most of the state (and it's a big state) is affected in one way or another.. whole towns are cut off & underwater, at least 6people have died in flash flood waters :(  It started out far far north of us... and will be here over the next couple of days.  I think our house is high enough that we shouldn't go under.. but the two areas where my work shifts are (training ) over the next 2 days are both expected to flood.   Going to talk to the boss & HR tomorrow to see what the plan is if there is flooding as expected. 

Don't worry for us safety wise though... we will load the car up and do  a runner to the parents house on a moments notice if it looks like we're going to go under.  will try to keep you all updated as I can.

And I am thinking of you mamas in the arizona area :(  aweyn, Heather hope your communities are supporting each other right now *hugs*   Off to try to catch the news to see what is the outlook for my area specifically. 

holyhelianthus's Avatar holyhelianthus 08:26 AM 01-10-2011

Cari~ That is horrible! I'll be keeping the area (and you!) in my thoughts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View Post

No boil noodles- lasagna noodles you don't have to cook first.  You just layer them in straight from the box and they cook in place.  Now if only they came in gluten free!

Are you talking about gluten free lasagna noodles? I have seen those! Even just plain ol' rice ones that my multi-allergies Mable can eat. I think even our Super Target carries them. Or wait... do you mean there are specific "no boil" noodles? I was totally unaware of those. I have never boiled my lasagna noodles first. I just always put them in and put in lots of sauce using the regular noodles. Comes out fine.

Quote:
More blood work tomorrow afternoon... wish me luck!  Living in limbo is no fun.

Good luck, love! hug2.gif

Quote:
Maggie!  Heyla!  Good to 'see' you again!  :)

Hey! So good to see you, too! Can you believe how big our babies are getting?!

aweynsayl's Avatar aweynsayl 08:29 AM 01-10-2011

ktg, ah, hon. i'm trying to take care of me. got to get out and get some FEs. i'm trying to balance helping as i can, yet not listening to too much news. it's a challenge. 

clay, may your blood be beautiful! 

sweetsun~ hugs, hon. 

val, luv you. thank you for your words. 

cari, wowza. stay safe! (and have fun at training!) we could use some rain here. too bad we can transport it. 

i'm usually the heart chakra lady, but i need some boosters....i was up last night boiling over with anger, and i really am trying to turn it to love. rose quartz, rose oil.... any ideas? 

and... is it ok if i ask for some sort of focused energy in this direction during the times of the funerals/memorials? some people are planning on picketing them, and i want to gather as much love to put in a bubble around the families as possible. is there a good way to do that, or should i take that to fb? i'm not very clear headed, and i'm trying to be both sensitive to the families involved and also mdc's rules..... advice? 

love & lightxoxoxoxoxooxxox

Maiasaura's Avatar Maiasaura 09:20 AM 01-10-2011

Quote:

Originally Posted by liza-s View Postnobody ever ever touches a gun in a holster or duty belt;

Side Note: Amazing how many adults try and touch DH's gun on his duty belt.  This is a very good way to get 'forced' to the ground.  Why do people think they can touch something another person is wearing?

Probably like touching a pregnant woman's belly w/o permission-- people are amazingly not boundary-aware. Do tell about touching the gun in the duty-belt, though, please. Aside from being a personal boundary issue, what else is that about? So I can instruct ds?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View PostNo boil noodles- lasagna noodles you don't have to cook first. 

But...I use regular ones and I never cook them first. Hmm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetsunshine85 View PostI'm feeling pretty low today. Feeling very much alone and need of a hug!  Off to work!

Hugs, you hug2.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by magstphil View PostI have never boiled my lasagna noodles first. I just always put them in and put in lots of sauce using the regular noodles. Comes out fine.

What you said. I don't even put extra sauce-- just the regular way. It always comes out fine, too thumb.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by aweynsayl View Postand... is it ok if i ask for some sort of focused energy in this direction during the times of the funerals/memorials? some people are planning on picketing them, and i want to gather as much love to put in a bubble around the families as possible. is there a good way to do that, or should i take that to fb? i'm not very clear headed, and i'm trying to be both sensitive to the families involved and also mdc's rules..... advice? 

It's fine with me, but I don't have any authority to yay or nay it. When are the funerals/memorials?

redveg's Avatar redveg 09:21 AM 01-10-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetsunshine85 View Post

Morning lovelies! Hope you all had a good weekend.

I'm feeling pretty low today. Feeling very much alone and need of a hug!  Off to work!

hug2.gifHope your day improves:)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie.Qc View Post

Quick fly by to say Hi! treehugger.gif

:)  Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by CariOfOz View Post

Just popping in for a quick post.  I don't know how many of you have seen anything about queenslands' flooding over the recent past?  At this point most of the state (and it's a big state) is affected in one way or another.. whole towns are cut off & underwater, at least 6people have died in flash flood waters :(  It started out far far north of us... and will be here over the next couple of days.  I think our house is high enough that we shouldn't go under.. but the two areas where my work shifts are (training ) over the next 2 days are both expected to flood.   Going to talk to the boss & HR tomorrow to see what the plan is if there is flooding as expected. 

Don't worry for us safety wise though... we will load the car up and do  a runner to the parents house on a moments notice if it looks like we're going to go under.  will try to keep you all updated as I can.

And I am thinking of you mamas in the arizona area :(  aweyn, Heather hope your communities are supporting each other right now *hugs*   Off to try to catch the news to see what is the outlook for my area specifically. 

I saw a bit of this on the news this morning and was wondering if you were in the area.  Thinking about all of you and hoping for the best.  Stay safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aweynsayl View Post

and... is it ok if i ask for some sort of focused energy in this direction during the times of the funerals/memorials? some people are planning on picketing them, and i want to gather as much love to put in a bubble around the families as possible. is there a good way to do that, or should i take that to fb? i'm not very clear headed, and i'm trying to be both sensitive to the families involved and also mdc's rules..... advice? 

love & lightxoxoxoxoxooxxox

I can't believe people are planning on picketing the funerals.  What is wrong with people?  I will be sending as much love as I can.  Lighting candles and focusing on the families and friends left behind. 

DaughterOfKali's Avatar DaughterOfKali 09:30 AM 01-10-2011

Popping in quickly to say hi to everyone.

Going to get a big storm Tues night and all day Wednesday.  We are expecting 12" of snow again.  Plus, it's been seriously cold.  The kind of cold that hurts to breathe.

Wishing you all well.

Quote:

More blood work tomorrow afternoon... wish me luck!  Living in limbo is no fun.

Hoping for the best!  You will be in my thoughts today.

Quote:

I'm feeling pretty low today. Feeling very much alone and need of a hug!  Off to work!

hug2.gif

bluets's Avatar bluets 10:08 AM 01-10-2011

We're apparently expecting snow tonight, 2-4".  The guy on our local NPR station said "cloudy and overcast over Bloomington."  I happened to be in the car at that very moment.  Nary a cloud in sight.  Beautiful sun-shiney day.  But I guess being in the radio studio, he wouldn't have a window and so wouldn't have known that.

Hugs to everyone who needs them.  

My mild cold is thinking about becoming a sinus infection, so I'm trying to banish it!  Out, out, darn snot.  (apologies to Shakespeare)  And of course I ran out of the appropriate individual cell salts before this thing smacked me, so I've been limping along with ACV and bioplasma.  I also did something to my pelvis a few weeks ago - misaligned it? strained a deep muscle? - and while I was doing those cell salts, it started to resolve itself a little bit.  But now, I'm thinking I need some bodywork.  Ugh - I used to like having bodywork done on me but now I'm just not feeling like I want to be turned into human origami.

Aweyn, when I need those loving vibes, I dunno why, but I gravitate to jade and all things leafy and green.  Maybe because it reminds of the Mother and her capacity for healing.

Clay - hope the bloodwork goes well, hope you get speedy (but not hasty) responses!  

Cari, stay dry!  We get reminders every year during spring floods to NOT drive on roads that are covered with water.  And what happens?  Every years, there are at least a few idiots who drive onto water covered roads and end up getting into quite a pickle, endangering themselves and the rescuers.  Stay safe!

DOK - Maybe it will dump on us first and not be so bad by the time it gets to you.

mamaofthree's Avatar mamaofthree 10:35 AM 01-10-2011

awey: i have no idea what would be effective, but i am toying with driving down to tucson on thursday to help in any way possible. those protesters are just... i have no idea what words to use. trying to stay focused on loving-kindness and MLKjr words on fighting hate with love is sorta hard to actually do when confronted with such nasty people... but i guess that is what really takes the effort. it is easy to love and send out love to people who already know it, it is hard to send it out to people who you wanna give a serious smack to. 

cari: stay safe and dry.

clay: i will be thinking about you today. good luck

everyone else in the cold and snow... stay warm as possible. 

h

sweetsunshine85's Avatar sweetsunshine85 11:27 AM 01-10-2011

Thanks for the hugs, mamas! I need them! My day has gotten worse. Massive drama ensuing with my client and then my cell got turned off! I LIVE through my cell, so this really sucks! I made a payment, but am still short of the amount needed to get the phone back on. So unless the other person on the plan pays extra, our phones will be off til Friday! :( Oh and I started the South Beach Diet and now I feel like crap! Headache and nauseous, as I freaking detox from all the sugar and carbs I normally eat. Totally craving pasta, which I can't have! :(

mamaofthree's Avatar mamaofthree 11:46 AM 01-10-2011

sweetsunshine: ((hug))

we are still dealing with the selling of the house in maine. UGH! will it never end? we are looking at maybe ANOTHER 2 weeks of waiting. it was suppose to close on tuesday (tomorrow) but for some reason a 5 or 6th person needs to OK the short sale. i thought we were done with this part. and the buyers didn't get someone out to inspect the house until friday. UGH! ok all done with that. lol

pulled cards for the birth... got skillet (strength) and cream and sugar (lovers). gotta love it! 

now i must go tidy the house. i am feeling all nesty, and yet no signs this baby wants to exit. i am thinking i need to focus maybe more in my heart space and be less all over the place. what happened here recently was so tramatic and emotionally draining.

h

wombatclay's Avatar wombatclay 01:26 PM 01-10-2011

Thanks all... blood draw is over, I should have results tomorrow or Thursday (I have an appointment with the Dr Thursday so she may just give me the results then, I don't really know).  Last week they took vial after vial and I felt really tired and woozy for the rest of the day.  Today they only took one vial but the nurse didn't do it perfectly so... I have a huge bruise and I'm still bleeding a bit a few hours later.  And it hurts!  But getting info is worth it, right?

Lasagna- that's really funny!  Technically (and I'm not so hot on "technically" when it comes to cooking LOL) you're supposed to cook the lasagna noodles so that they're soft/floppy, then layer them into the sauce and filling.  My dad's family is Italian (and dh's dad's family is also Italian) and the thought of using dry pasta to make lasagna would probably cause half of them fall over in shock.  The thought of using the "no boil" noodles (the kind that are designed to be layered in dry) would still count as heresy of course.  (and Maggie... we're gluten free since dd1 was diagnosed with celiac, can't remember if the diagnosis was in last time we chatted, and while I can find gfree lasagna noodles, I haven't seen any that are specifically "no boil".  I lurv lasagna as a post partum food but didn't get any with Tor's birth since it just wasn't feasible in a gfree version).

Rowan is singing the Russian National Anthem.  I have NO idea where she heard it and her Russian is more "sounds kinda like" than an actual "speaking words from another language" but it's close enough to be recognizable.  The only thing I can think of is /maybe/ my dad was watching Hunt For the Red October some time during the holidays and she heard it then?  Hmmmmm... she just switched over to a jewish folk song.  Now I'm REALLY confused.  lol

Dh and I were number crunching and our budget scares me.  We are so close to the line, only 112 dollars a month difference between what we bring in and what we absolutely have to spend (mortgage, loans, that sort of thing).  I'd gotten us to 100 dollars/week for food but am going to have to cut that down to 75 or less, we need to figure out how to drive less (and unfortunately only one car holds the whole family and it guzzles gas so my dropping dh off at work actually uses more fuel than not), and so on.  We do have a netflicks account that we will keep... we have no tv, haven't been out to a movie since before Rowan was born, and wouldn't be able to do any of the "in town" activities/playdates due to the gas sooooo... netflicks is our "not going crazy" splurge.  And honestly, at 20 dollars a month it's not going to save us that much.  I'm getting up and running with the job I found and that will be a HUGE help, but I'm still really scared.  I know we're in much better shape than many, many families, and I'm thankful for all we have.  But especially since dh's extended family is pretty well off... the emails we get are a bit hard to swallow.  Totally innocent stuff, too.  Like a "we're planning a huge family reunion and we've rented a house!  It's wonderful and we can't wait to see you!  Your share is just 2000 for the week plus whatever food/drinks you'd like to contribute.  We know times are tough so please don't feel like you need to bring extra... just bring what you need and we'll do the rest!" sort of letters.  They're trying, but their reality is just so far from ours that even when they try (renting a house instead of planning the reunion at a destination resort as they've done in the past) it ends up being impossible.  Sigh.  I want to win the lotto.  Can Winner be my back-up word?  ;)

DaughterOfKali's Avatar DaughterOfKali 02:03 PM 01-10-2011

Quote:

Dh and I were number crunching and our budget scares me.

May I remind you that you have the ability to earn some extra $.  I'll contact you privately to chat.

Sounds like the tech/nurse went through the vein.  I've had that happen and it's not pretty.  My bruise grew up to a couple days after the draw!  Hugs to you.

Maiasaura's Avatar Maiasaura 04:20 PM 01-10-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View PostDh and I were number crunching and our budget scares me. 

I know we're in much better shape than many, many families, and I'm thankful for all we have.  But especially since dh's extended family is pretty well off... the emails we get are a bit hard to swallow.  Totally innocent stuff, too.  Like a "we're planning a huge family reunion and we've rented a house!  It's wonderful and we can't wait to see you!  Your share is just 2000 for the week plus whatever food/drinks you'd like to contribute.  We know times are tough so please don't feel like you need to bring extra... just bring what you need and we'll do the rest!" sort of letters.

I so know what you mean, Clay. I am on a fixed income and ds doesn't have dental anymore, I just found out when we went to his checkup and had to pay $85 out of pocket. Glad we stayed and paid, though, because he had, while no cavities, a worse-than-usual checkup (tons of plaque) and we learned how to better clean his teeth, but ouch. And it would have been like $115 if we did fluoride. He recently fell through the cracks of state health insurance, and I was lucky to find a new state health insurance for people who fall through the cracks of the regular kind (which we are a measly $29 over the limit for). It's a ton of money by comparison, and his prescriptions are way lots by comparison, and we can't afford his therapy or doctor but every once in a blue moon now (which we have to have to get the prescriptions), but I'm grateful that at least he has that. Myself, I have been uninsured since 1999.

As for the rich family members...yeah. My mom has always had it easy, and I did growing up, but never as an adult. Well, for a little while after my father died, but that went pretty quickly and now I'm back to square one again. She will just never get my lack of funds. Over the years she frequently asks me why I don't buy this or that, or replace such and such, or fix my whatsit, or whatever, and my reply is always "I can't afford it". Awhile back, she said something about me "always complaining" about my lack of money. I said no, I'm not complaining. You ask me a direct question and I give you the factual answer. That's not complaining. So just recently, maybe a month or so ago, she said she feels guilty when I don't have the money for some things. I said that's really sweet, but it's not on you and I'm not out to make you feel guilty. I can't own your feelings. It is what it is, and Mom, you'll just have to accept the fact that I'm likely going to have money trouble forever. And M, too. It's just how it is for some people. She sighed. She didn't have a whole lot to say about it. What I really wanted to say was "you are lucky that you have had it so easy all your life" but I didn't dare-- I'm sure she would have taken it wrong somehow and turned it into something ugly. She misreads me a lot.

mamaofthree's Avatar mamaofthree 04:44 PM 01-10-2011

clay: OUCH! 

the money crunching stuff is so flipping stressful. i feel pretty darn blessed right now that we FINALLY have things under some sort of control, but of course we are not paying the mortgage in maine and that is looking uglier and uglier. as for well off family members, LOL, i can so relate. although everyone on dh's side of the family seems to think we have all this extra money all the time, even when we were completely broke in maine. i complained to all of you when dh's niece told us to stop complaining and just pay all the money to MIL a few years ago because it wasn't fair to everyone else, somehow it was fair for us though. (yes i am still a bit bitter over that one). anywho... sorta funny they ask for $2000.00 and then say but we know things are tight. LOL really? you know that? lol my folks don't get the money thing either, i think there thing is more that we made this bed (ie having all these kids) so we still need to do certain things anyway, and forget that we have children. 

ok done with that mess. lol anyway, hang in there. this new job for you may be just what you need to get things back in order. <3

h

Maiasaura's Avatar Maiasaura 05:10 PM 01-10-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaofthree View Postbut of course we are not paying the mortgage in maine and that is looking uglier and uglier.

If you want to take this private, that's alright with me, but I'm curious how you can get away with not paying that? Because it would be uber cool if I didn't have to default or foreclose or whatever, and be able to move, and not pay this mortgage. I don't know what I'm saying, though; I don't have the money to move without money from sale of this house. I can dream, though.

mamaofthree's Avatar mamaofthree 07:09 PM 01-10-2011

well, to be able to do a short sale we had to show hardship, which wasn't hard because we just do not have the money to pay the mortgage and the rent and all the bills here and there (we have to pay for heating oil, water and electric there). we are now 4 months behind (which sucks big time). it looks terrible on our credit report and i think we have 12 months total before it would go into foreclosure, since we have people actively trying to buy the house and got the OK from fha we are now just waiting for some mystery person at the bank to give the final OK. so far 5 people have said ok, but not "the one" who ever that is. my dream is to have this thing all done before we miss yet ANOTHER payment in feb. the people trying to buy it are very commited, so i feel like for whatever reason the bank is just taking it's time. unless you were planning on doing a short sale and get no money what so ever from the sale of the house then you gotta keep paying the mortgage is my understanding.

h

bluets's Avatar bluets 07:18 PM 01-10-2011

Maia - back in the early '90s, my dad's company was sunk into bankruptcy (the bank called on a loan).  the uber house we were living in at the time had uber mortgage payments.  so mom and dad just decided to stop paying the mortgage but keep up with the other bills.  they lived there for a year without making mortgage payments though they still paid other bills.  there were other complicating matters but they did end up selling that house, though they lost quite a bit of money in the process.

CariOfOz's Avatar CariOfOz 10:48 PM 01-10-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by redveg View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by CariOfOz View Post

I saw a bit of this on the news this morning and was wondering if you were in the area.  Thinking about all of you and hoping for the best.  Stay safe.

Yep.. we live near a town called Ipswich  and only about 25km from the Brisbane city centre.  We're only a short distance from the bremer/brisbane river but are on slightly higher ground from what i understand.  The Brisbane river has broken its banks in West End I think (one of the inner city districts)  and there is massively widespread flooding expected... some 30, maybe more, suburbs/districts will have more than a little street flooding!    there is a news broadcast updat4e coming any minute now, we will know more about what we're going to do for the night then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaofthree View Post

pulled cards for the birth... got skillet (strength) and cream and sugar (lovers). gotta love it! 

now i must go tidy the house. i am feeling all nesty, and yet no signs this baby wants to exit. i am thinking i need to focus maybe more in my heart space and be less all over the place. what happened here recently was so tramatic and emotionally draining.

h

LOL I love those cards!  Nesty is good... I'm sure bubby is just waiting to make agrand entrance!  Try to detatch yourself from the news hun.. you have far more important things to think about :) I know people died, and families & thecommunity are in turmoil... but you need to keep your emotional resources for yourself right now!

Quote:

Thanks all... blood draw is over, I should have results tomorrow or Thursday (I have an appointment with the Dr Thursday so she may just give me the results then, I don't really know).  Last week they took vial after vial and I felt really tired and woozy for the rest of the day.  Today they only took one vial but the nurse didn't do it perfectly so... I have a huge bruise and I'm still bleeding a bit a few hours later.  And it hurts!  But getting info is worth it, right?

Dh and I were number crunching and our budget scares me.  We are so close to the line, only 112 dollars a month difference between what we bring in and what we absolutely have to spend (mortgage, loans, that sort of thing).  I'd gotten us to 100 dollars/week for food but am going to have to cut that down to 75 or less, we need to figure out how to drive less (and unfortunately only one car holds the whole family and it guzzles gas so my dropping dh off at work actually uses more fuel than not), and so on.  We do have a netflicks account that we will keep... we have no tv, haven't been out to a movie since before Rowan was born, and wouldn't be able to do any of the "in town" activities/playdates due to the gas sooooo... netflicks is our "not going crazy" splurge.  And honestly, at 20 dollars a month it's not going to save us that much.  I'm getting up and running with the job I found and that will be a HUGE help, but I'm still really scared.  I know we're in much better shape than many, many families, and I'm thankful for all we have.  But especially since dh's extended family is pretty well off... the emails we get are a bit hard to swallow.  Totally innocent stuff, too.  Like a "we're planning a huge family reunion and we've rented a house!  It's wonderful and we can't wait to see you!  Your share is just 2000 for the week plus whatever food/drinks you'd like to contribute.  We know times are tough so please don't feel like you need to bring extra... just bring what you need and we'll do the rest!" sort of letters.  They're trying, but their reality is just so far from ours that even when they try (renting a house instead of planning the reunion at a destination resort as they've done in the past) it ends up being impossible.  Sigh.  I want to win the lotto.  Can Winner be my back-up word?  ;)

Thinking good thoughts for you with the blood test hun... I so hope for you that it is clear and wonderful!  And hell yes winner can be your back up word!  I'm sharing thta with you!

We are still at home, all packed up if we need to hit the road.  There are so many things that are going to be hard even after this is over... the entire food crop of queensland has all but been destroyed.. prices wil be awful, and everything imported :(  And that won't go away anytime soon.  Thank you for all your good thoughts & vibes mamas... I' keeping calm and we're trying to evaluate the information as it come in to decide what to do.

liza-s's Avatar liza-s 11:28 PM 01-10-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiasaura View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by liza-s View Postnobody ever ever touches a gun in a holster or duty belt;

Side Note: Amazing how many adults try and touch DH's gun on his duty belt.  This is a very good way to get 'forced' to the ground.  Why do people think they can touch something another person is wearing?

Probably like touching a pregnant woman's belly w/o permission-- people are amazingly not boundary-aware. Do tell about touching the gun in the duty-belt, though, please. Aside from being a personal boundary issue, what else is that about? So I can instruct ds?

Explain it to DS that it is like staring a dog in the eyes.  Usually its just for fun, but the dog can't tell if it is play or aggression. A cop (or fill in the blank gun-toting individual) doesn't know why you're trying to touch his/her gun.  If it is aggression, once you've touched it - it's too late. You might be trying to get the gun away to 1) keep him/her from protecting himself or 2) shoot him with his own gun.

DH is particularly sensitive to this. His best friend when he worked for National Parks in Hawaii was murdered on duty with his own gun.  The interaction, which quickly became a fatal struggle began over a "dog off leash" contact.  Steve didn't have his guard up.  It was really horrible. DH's promised (me, himself, the universe) that would never ever happen to him.  Unfortunately the cost of that promise is looking at everybody and assessing "could this person try and kill me today."  They say when you kill somebody it costs a part of your soul.  I think proximity to too many deaths (both violent and accidental) has cost DH some of his. It makes me so sad.  I keep hoping his children can help it heal. But I don't really believe it works that way.  Heal, yes. But the debt has been paid, no way to recover the costs. Maybe just learn to cope better.

liza-s's Avatar liza-s 12:22 AM 01-11-2011

Silly food question. For DS's birthday, he asked for a moon cake. I made non-dairy white chocolate & mint ganache for the moon.  Once cooled it tasted really yummy. Melted, well it tastes like minty arm pits. (or what I think arm pits would taste like).  Ingredients are white chocolate, Mimic creme (cashew & almond based cream substitute) and organic/natural mint extract.  What's up?

(I'm asking now because I just used the last of it on batch of brownies, and realized my first impressions remain. Yuck -but I know it will be good by morning)

DSCF0600.JPG

My back is so sore. It's from side-lying night nursing and too-big-ta-tas.  It's further complicated by not being able to move as much as necessary at night due to my DD who is a poor sleeper and super-snuggler. I know the best solution is to get her out of my bed, but little bird does not want to leave.  But I know we'd both sleep soooo much better. If I leave the bed, she wakes. I've cut back drastically on my water intake so I don't have to get up more than once at night to pee.  She reverse cycled on nursing months ago, so still nurses at least 3 times in an 8 hour night - and sometimes much much more often.  It is typically 7pm, 8:30,  10, 12 am, 2 am, 5 am 7 am; one days I don't work (4 days a week off), she'll nurse every few hours during the day.  She's 13 months.  I'm really thinking cutting off her 12 and 5 am nursings should not be the end of the world. But her opinion differs. 

I posted some recent winter pics one of my favorite winter hobbies: watching ice flow and wind blow. Some pics are from a couple different days in the last few weeks.   http://www.flickr.com/photos/aknaturegirl/

redveg's Avatar redveg 05:34 AM 01-11-2011

Quote:

Dh and I were number crunching and our budget scares me.

I hear ya.  We live paycheck to paycheck and any little extra anything just wipes us out. That's usually what happens though, just when it's under control something comes up:(  The thought of my 3 going to college in a year and a half is too much to think about sometimes.  I wish I had good advice on how to make it work, but we are so cut to the min that the only other things to cut out will be items I or DH use.  Maybe we will hit the lotto!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by liza-s View Post

DSCF0600.JPG

I posted some recent winter pics one of my favorite winter hobbies: watching ice flow and wind blow. Some pics are from a couple different days in the last few weeks.   http://www.flickr.com/photos/aknaturegirl/

That cake is awesome:)  I love the pics too.  Alaska looks so beautiful.  Maybe one day I will get a chance to see it in person.

redveg's Avatar redveg 05:44 AM 01-11-2011

Morning:)

Today is grocery list day and general cleaning:(  The sun is shining bright though so not too bad.  I hear we are getting snow tonight and tomorrow maybe a foot?  I miss and can't wait for Spring.

I hope everyone has a good day. 

Thinking about you, hope you stay dry and safe Cari, hope you find out your results sooner rather than later Clay, sending loving vibes and hugs you way awyen, and hugs your way Sweetsunshine:)

sweetsunshine85's Avatar sweetsunshine85 05:50 AM 01-11-2011

Morning.

That cake looks awesome! I want a sun and moon cake for MY birthday! ;)

So yesterday was a pretty lousy day. Everything kept going wrong and then my cell got turned off and I had to call my(now former) bff who shares the bill and tell her that I couldn't pay quite enough to turn them back on, but if she wanted to pay it now, she could take that amount from the next payment she makes. Luckily she did that, without a word, and turned our phones back on. So then last night I was relaxing, watching reruns on my laptop and drinking some chamomile, when my throat started to hurt. I didn't think much of it and went to bed. Well, I woke up this morning with a very sore throat, a headache, swollen glands and a fever! Oh joy! No work for me today. I just got over being sick LAST WEEK! You'd think I could go a week without getting sick! Bla! So, my diet is being tossed out so I can have chicken noodle soup and tea with honey. Staying in bed resting today. Will definitely be online alot when I'm not snoozing. I hate being sick! Especially knowing that my poor client has no other staff to take my place today and will be stuck at home all day.

wombatclay's Avatar wombatclay 06:49 AM 01-11-2011

That cake ROCKS!  How did it taste this morning?  When dd1 was first diagnosed I used a chocolate cake mix to make her birthday cupcakes... the finished product tasted great, but it was a bean flour blend and the batter/undercooked cupcakes were disgusting.  They tasted like a horrible blend of fava and chocolate.  And they stank in the oven at first.  But once they were cooked it was all chocolate, no bean funk sooooo.... is this a flour blend or recipe you've used before?  Could it just be a stage in the chemical process that smells all funky mint armpit?  (which reminds me of DH's descriptions of Dr Bronner... "minty fresh pit" lol)

Cari- hope you're still safe and dry.  I'm sending posh coffee, happy van, and relaxation vibes your way.  And double thumbs up to being a WINNER!  I think we should have a winner ritual or something... I'm visualizing a nice strranger handing out winning lotto tickets to all and sundry.  Hey, it could happen, right?  Growing up my dad was very amused by the lotto (he called it a tax on people who don't do math) since in his mind the up front costs simply don't balance the potentisl pay off.  I forget the numbers but he made my brother and I work the probabilities and being gifted with a winning ticket wasn't too different in terms of your odds.  Coming from the "soft sciences" (anthro, religious studies) though I look at lotto from the dream/hope aspect and think it provides a certain value just on that basis.  Not that I ever buy a ticket!  lol

dental- you found out AT the office?  Oh My Gods, I'm getting stressed just thinking about that!  I'm so sorry (though glad the appointment didn't find anything super wrong).  Several of my family members are very much against universal health care but I can't think of anything nicer than to walk into a dr or dentist office without fear of "not having enough".  Just the other week at Tor's well baby visit I realized that I might not have enough to pay in full (they just changed their policy to "no checks" and I didn't know if I had enough cash).  Thankfully we had a credit on his account so it was ok, but I very nearly hid in the exam room for a few minutes, dreading what might happen at the billing desk.  Big hugs sweetie... and hopes that never again will you be stuck at a billing desk with nasty news.

money- thanks for letting me fuss out loud!  We're in a much better place now than we were this time last month.  And so many of my IRL friends are worse off than we are.  It's just been an incredibly stressful week and a half on so many fronts... while it's important to have an accurate picture of finances, it was the straw on the camels back I think.  And dh is just as stressed.

health- so, the cardiac specialist who saw my dad last week thinks he may have just weeks left if he doesn't do the surgery now (keeping in mind that he is NOT a good candidate for the surgery).  My brother and I as well as the extended family are demanding a second opinion.  There has been some positive movement towards this so HUZZAH!  It's not exactly what we wanted (we wanted him to go to the Mayo clinic since they have a laparscopic treatment for this type of valve replacement, specifically designed for frail candidates who might not do well with open heart) but he may be seeing a surgeon at Albany Medical.  And at this point any second opinion is better than none.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed and hoping for a minor miracle.

my own health- I have tiny/rolling veins and am generally thought of as a tough "stick", so I'm always super impressed when a blood draw goes well (like last week, that phlebotomist was amazing imo).  I think this time there may have been a problem when she removed the needle... it hurt a LOT as she removed it and bled like crazy.  So maybe a through and through, or maybe a second poke, or a skin rip, or something funky.  Today I have this crazy multi-colored jupiter like planet sized orb in my inner elbow.  It doesn't hurt but it looks like it should!

new job- going well!  I feel a bit like a dolt since it's been a looooong time since I did this sort of data entry and I've forgotten all the short cuts I used to know.  But overall, it's good.  I was even able to do some last night while Dh watched Buffy (season one and season two... it was a holiday gift!) and it felt really good.

Kitchecn Tarot- yay for such a great reading!  I bet the munchkin can't resist such a wonderful birth treat.  Strength and love?  Perfect!  I've been pulling the Compost Pot a lot recently... it's not my favorite card but I do think it applies.  Rebirth, change, life out of death, and so on.

OK... I know I'm missing people.  SO may the sun shine clarity on those who search, may the moon shine peace on those who worry, and may the wind dance happiness with those who have happiness to share!

Aeress's Avatar Aeress 07:00 AM 01-11-2011

Mamaofthree- thinking about you and the soon to be born babe- I wonder when he/she will make an apperance?

Clay- thinking of you! Financial stuff is so hard, we are in a good place now, but years ago it was tough. And we couldn't really cut things out cause we were pretty bare bones, so I understand not wanting to cut your small "luxury", netflicks was ours as well.

Sweetsunshine- Hope things improve for you!!

Cari- thinking of you!

witchygrrl's Avatar witchygrrl 07:21 AM 01-11-2011

Cari--thinking of you, too. Hoping that all stays well.

Liza, I wish I could decorate cakes like that. Gorgeous! I have to admit, I was showing DH, and we both got the giggles with the "minty arm pits." I do hope it tasted better than that this morning! Bean cakes are fabulous, though....so rich and well worth the wait. The waiting's the hardest part:D

Saw a job posting that is again perfect for DH. Best thing is that he has actually worked with the principal before...at another school, and they liked each other. I pulled my first card from the Kitchen Tarot (it seemed like a momentous enough occasion), and got the Lazy Susan. It seems like a good omen to me. Here is hoping that FINALLY we can get back on track.

bluets's Avatar bluets 08:11 AM 01-11-2011

Quote:

Several of my family members are very much against universal health care but I can't think of anything nicer than to walk into a dr or dentist office without fear of "not having enough".  Just the other week at Tor's well baby visit I realized that I might not have enough to pay in full (they just changed their policy to "no checks" and I didn't know if I had enough cash).  Thankfully we had a credit on his account so it was ok, but I very nearly hid in the exam room for a few minutes, dreading what might happen at the billing desk.  Big hugs sweetie... and hopes that never again will you be stuck at a billing desk with nasty news.

Ever notice how the doctors can never ever ever give you a straight answer about how something will cost, especially for anything involving labwork or other diagnostics?  Insurance doesn't seem to have allowed transparency in the medical system.  When dh had his hernia surgery a few years ago, the surgeon's office couldn't even give us a ballpark (what?! you can't even tell me if it will be less than $5K?!?!).  And for complicated procedures, everybody seems to get their pound of flesh - the phlebotomist, the pathologist, the anesthesiologist, the general practitioner, the specialist...  Heck, some times I'm surprised that I don't get a bill from the cleaning staff.

Dentists, on the other hand, are very good at telling you how much something will cost.

Progress on the office decor.  I cleaned off a spot to house whatever feng shui trinkets I figure out to put there - it sits on a little black filing cabinet with some random shiny black piece of something on top.  When I first saw the shiny black thing, I thought "Oh this would be super for a scrying session!" -- if only I knew how to scry.  I also cleaned up the coffee stain on my desk.  Now I need a feather duster to get rid of the dust.  I'm wondering why we have cleaning staff.

I unburied my passive stone diffuser and found some grapefruit essential oil  The word on the bottle: JOYFUL.

So everyone should imagine grapefruit and think JOYFUL today.

Maiasaura's Avatar Maiasaura 08:49 AM 01-11-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaofthree View Postunless you were planning on doing a short sale and get no money what so ever from the sale of the house then you gotta keep paying the mortgage is my understanding.

Oh. Dang. Well, that's not helpful...I mean, your explanation is, but the information isn't. I guess we have to live here till someone wants it greensad.gif Why, oh why, did I ever think owning a house was a good idea? I feel so stuck. mecry.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by liza-s View PostExplain it to DS that it is like staring a dog in the eyes.  Usually its just for fun, but the dog can't tell if it is play or aggression. A cop (or fill in the blank gun-toting individual) doesn't know why you're trying to touch his/her gun.  If it is aggression, once you've touched it - it's too late. You might be trying to get the gun away to 1) keep him/her from protecting himself or 2) shoot him with his own gun.

DH is particularly sensitive to this. His best friend when he worked for National Parks in Hawaii was murdered on duty with his own gun.  The interaction, which quickly became a fatal struggle began over a "dog off leash" contact.  Steve didn't have his guard up.  It was really horrible. DH's promised (me, himself, the universe) that would never ever happen to him.  Unfortunately the cost of that promise is looking at everybody and assessing "could this person try and kill me today."  They say when you kill somebody it costs a part of your soul.  I think proximity to too many deaths (both violent and accidental) has cost DH some of his. It makes me so sad.  I keep hoping his children can help it heal. But I don't really believe it works that way.  Heal, yes. But the debt has been paid, no way to recover the costs. Maybe just learn to cope better.

Oh, wow, Liza. Your poor DH; that's so awful. And yes, I agree about death taking a piece of your soul, even if it isn't killing someone. I have seen so many people die because of my disease (alcoholism). Now that I'm sober I don't see it so much because I don't hang around active alkies anymore, but back when I was drinking...I saw way too much death.

Thanks for the explanation about the duty belt. I will pass on the information.

Quote:

Morning.

That cake looks awesome! I want a sun and moon cake for MY birthday! ;)

Yeah, it does! Feel better, you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wombatclay View Postdental- you found out AT the office?  Oh My Gods, I'm getting stressed just thinking about that!  I'm so sorry (though glad the appointment didn't find anything super wrong).  Several of my family members are very much against universal health care but I can't think of anything nicer than to walk into a dr or dentist office without fear of "not having enough".  Just the other week at Tor's well baby visit I realized that I might not have enough to pay in full (they just changed their policy to "no checks" and I didn't know if I had enough cash).  Thankfully we had a credit on his account so it was ok, but I very nearly hid in the exam room for a few minutes, dreading what might happen at the billing desk.  Big hugs sweetie... and hopes that never again will you be stuck at a billing desk with nasty news.

health- so, the cardiac specialist who saw my dad last week thinks he may have just weeks left if he doesn't do the surgery now (keeping in mind that he is NOT a good candidate for the surgery).  My brother and I as well as the extended family are demanding a second opinion.  There has been some positive movement towards this so HUZZAH!  It's not exactly what we wanted (we wanted him to go to the Mayo clinic since they have a laparscopic treatment for this type of valve replacement, specifically designed for frail candidates who might not do well with open heart) but he may be seeing a surgeon at Albany Medical.  And at this point any second opinion is better than none.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed and hoping for a minor miracle.

Yeah. AT the office. It sucked, but I was really glad for not a bad outcome.

Cross fingers for your dad, Clay fingersx.gif

revolting's Avatar revolting 09:18 AM 01-11-2011

Liza - what a beautiful cake!!! I hope it ends up tasting as beautiful as it looks!

First ... 5  6  7 8  9  17  ... Last

Up