January Pagan Circle - Page 9 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-13-2011, 07:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Bluets- Happy Birthday! Hope you are feeling better!

I am fairly crafty, I knit, needle felt, occasionaly scetch/paint, and enjoy crafty projects. Right now I am doing a lot of needle felting, which has been very fun! I do feel connected to my spiritual side when working on a project. Sometimes, I just got a feeling, like I need to knit or felt, and I just do- an extra bonus as a homeschooling family, I can generally jump into a project when the mood strikes.

Cari- glad you are safe, but yes, I hear you on wanting to help.

My moontime/period is awful this month. It woke me up at 3, my back was killing me, plus cramps. I am beat! I really need to get to the post office today and pick up some fruit, oh well, if we don't get out, life will go on. Big kids have playdate with friends.

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2011, 10:25 AM

cari: i am glad you guys are all ok. and it does the heart alot of good to help out. :) 

all i have to say today is... I AM SOOOO HAPPY TO BE IN ARIZONA! yes i am. the people of this state are just so amazing in coming together. i love all my friends here and their commitment to love and peacefulness.and i don't have to dig out not one inch of snow. it is going to be in the mid 60's today and we are heading to the park! ahhhhh must go pack some lunchy goodness and put on the sun block. lol so not missing maine at this moment. flower.gif (can't find the sunshine face. lol)

mama to 6 amazing children joy.gif married to my main man for 21 years love.gif and finally home FULL time dishes.gifhang.gifknit.gif

Old 01-13-2011, 10:53 AM

Happy belated birthday, bluets!  And yes, feel better soon!

My DD graced us with vomiting episodes starting at 3 AM this morning. She hasn't puked since 5 AM, so I think that's over with, but still. Let's hope that stays away.

And my DH is subbing today and tomorrow, so I am housebound. We have about 2 feet of snow here, and while I do want DD to play outside (if she can), I don't know that I am up for it. I just don't like snow like I used to.

Come ponder with me about food!
Old 01-13-2011, 11:02 AM

Just saw the post about MDC being down; I have 1 minute so I will try to hurry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ktg_ View PostMaia - oh boy... I half thought someone might guess baby (yes my uterus did just cringe a bit!), but its not that.  We've gotten a generous offer to purchase our friend's car which is ... a 2007 Prius.  They are considering doing  a contract agreement (a nice monthly payment and very doable down payment)with us since they'll be in Scotland and know we're having a bit of car troubles right now yay leaky/cracked head gasket (thank you suburu!).  They want it to go to a good home and so I'm hoping, hoping hoping it will all work out.  DH & I have always wanted to have a hybrid and this might be it.

Hope you get the car!! And boo on your coworker. She sounds like a child with a tantrum. Hello, you're the supervisor? Shut up and do your work, wench! LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CariOfOz View PostI am finally in the 'I wanna kindle' crowd.  Eventually I want some land, and a couple of yurts..living in that sort of small space a lot of books isn't really an option!

A kindle in a yurt....is anyone seeing "contradiction in terms" or is it just me? Hee hee ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by witchygrrl View PostMy DD graced us with vomiting episodes starting at 3 AM this morning. She hasn't puked since 5 AM, so I think that's over with, but still. Let's hope that stays away.

And my DH is subbing today and tomorrow, so I am housebound. We have about 2 feet of snow here, and while I do want DD to play outside (if she can), I don't know that I am up for it. I just don't like snow like I used to.

Oh goodness...feel better, you. And yeah, I'm well aware of your weather; M sent me photos. Ye Gods! He's lived in MA for thirty years and even he's going "WOW, you should see the snow". I wonder if he made it to work today. He didn't yesterday. But I haven't heard from him so assume so.

Yay on Cari being dry, good luck Clay, and catch y'all when MDC is back up?

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

Old 01-13-2011, 12:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
have to admit in the last few years (well.. 5yrs lol) I have NOT been as into my creative hobbies so much... partly due to the fact that it's HARD to do involved projects with small kids underfoot, partly because when I was pregnant I felt all my creative energy was sapped by creating a little human ;), and now partly because of this damn computer!

I totally understand that feeling of not feeling up to it. I've had a chaotic few years, and after the divorce, school going so poorly, and homelessness issues it was just like, "Art? Craft? What the bleep is that?"  I was too focused on surviving there for a bit. It's a little like exercise I find in that it's sometimes hard to get going, but you feel so much better when you do it. :)

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
Old 01-13-2011, 12:13 PM

Quote:
I do feel connected to my spiritual side when working on a project. Sometimes, I just got a feeling, like I need to knit or felt, and I just do- an extra bonus as a homeschooling family, I can generally jump into a project when the mood strikes.

Me too, on the connection and sudden urge. I do a lot of paper craft, collage, some knitting, painting. I'd love to try needle felting, and I really want to learn some leather craft and weaving and pottery at some point. This summer I hope to do some earth/cob sculpture. Can you imagine the connection there? Earth in your hands and all.... :)  

I am currently making a book for my daughter out of recycled materials. The little cover is made from a candy bar box covered with a paper bag. The pages are paper bags, various paper boards from discarded things, tissue papers, and etc. It's tied with some leather hide from a deer my partner tanned, and it has some beads too. I cut out images of fairies and such to decorate it with. It's got verses, prayers, and quotes in it I want her to always have.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
Old 01-13-2011, 01:46 PM

That book sounds beautiful, UschoolnMa.  My dad took a bookbinding course the year before he died and I have several blank notebooks he bound - wish they had content from him!  I haven't been able to decide what to do with them, but maybe something like that would be appropriate.

I remembered that you had been through Andrew, Cari.  I hope everyone in your area makes it through the shock and stress ok.  Finding a way to help would be  a very good thing.  

Glad to hear that people in your home state are pulling together, Mo3!

Hugs and patience to everyone snowbound with small children.  This too shall pass.  Cabin fever is setting in over here, and the forecast for next week is another five days of snow, though the cold lets up a bit.  I've started a pre-emptive "get yr crazies out" dance party before lunch.  Abba Gold, today....

Old 01-13-2011, 02:42 PM

LOL... we watched the Mythbusters "cabin fever" segment the other day and I wanted to howl over the fact that they only "snow bound" the test subjects for two and a half days.  If you can't survive three days you're in trouble, but for a true cabin fever test you need a good solid winter and a survey in, say, February.

Saw the dr today... nothing unusual in the blood work sooooo... still in limbo.  She said she'd keep thinking/researching (and so will I) and that I should call her if anything new developes.  I have another hospital based workup on the 26th, hopefully that will give us a better picture of what my body thinks it's doing.

My mom just called and told us about a fabulous house in a wonderful neighborhood.  I sooooooo want to move (it's a 4 bedroom craftsman style home with a wrap around porch and big yard, across the street from a great public elementary school, a block from the tiny rural library/mom&pop store, walkable community with great spirit).  But there's no way in heck we could afford to move.  No way to sell our current home (it's still not technically a "habitation") and no room in the budget for a bigger mortgage.  So.... argh.  And she was actually getting snarky at me because I wasn't sufficiently grateful.  I don't know.  I thanked her repeatedly, I told her it sounded wonderful, and I also told her we just don't have the money.  But she hung up telling me that /I? have to call the person she was talking with and tell them we're not interested.  Sigh.  Why do /I/ have to call them?  I mean really... why on earth did she tell this person I'd be calling them about the house?  Of course I will call, since it's not fair to get the seller's hopes up, but still.

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

Old 01-13-2011, 02:48 PM

clay: that is nutty! is your mom unaware of your money issues? lol i am sure it is a lovely place, but unless she is forking over the dough, why is she telling people you will call? lol parents!

we had an amazing day at the park. so sunny and warm. (yes i am rubbing it in. hahaha) totally made up for my crappy day yesterday. since i think i might be pregnant for ever we have started making plans for this weekend. lol maybe that will kick things in to gear. haha

h

mama to 6 amazing children joy.gif married to my main man for 21 years love.gif and finally home FULL time dishes.gifhang.gifknit.gif

Old 01-13-2011, 06:31 PM

Grrr, why does MDC sometimes just...randomly log me out?

Clay, that is nutty. Parents. I swear, I hope we all learn from our experiences how not to be nutty...but somehow I doubt we will lol.gif

M and I have been having the most wonderful conversations all.day.long, today. And the cam finally worked for a minute, and I got to see him, even if just for a second luxlove.gif

DS made it to school today, 2-hour delay, but still. It was so nice to be out and about! I made it to my meeting (though I did not make it to open, but the guy I called was able to make it for me), and got a bit of produce that I was running out of, after.

I promised myself I would NOT not not go to the grocery store till the 18th but I was running out of produce. Should that count against Tuesday? I'm trying so hard to find a way to budget, which I haven't got a grocery limit yet, but at least try to get enough once a week so I don't have to go back till the next week. Produce is hard, because if I get enough for a week, it goes bad, but I only want to go once a week. Ugh.

Also there is the issue of gasoline. I have $40/week for it, but if it goes above like $2.85, it goes above $40 to fill the tank. So I'm going to try to do what my friend does and if there isn't enough, she doesn't drive. I will have to pick and choose where to go. It's at $3.08ish right now. I haven't gone anywhere in a week because we got snowed in. I'm going to top it off on Sunday (my designated get-gas day) but then the tank will have to last me a week. Usually it's not a problem, unless I forget to get gas on Sunday, and then I get all messed up. Sigh. Sometimes I have more driving to do than that. This is going to be hard.

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

Old 01-13-2011, 08:54 PM

maia: we have the same issue with produce. some stuff last a long time like apples, but lettuce and things like that get nasty pretty quickly. maybe you could do one big shopping day a week and then mid-week budget in getting extra produce? maybe tie it in with some other time you have to be out driving? so you don't have to worry about extra gas?

after hanging at the park i did all the house work, 3 loads of wash, got the kids all bathed, made dinner and now i have to make a bedtime snack. :) i love being busy sometimes. i want to bake something too... but it is getting late. lol

h

Old 01-13-2011, 09:05 PM

Hello all you fabulous goddesses!! Just a quick pop-on to say - WE DID IT!!! we got the car! I am quite giddy and hopefully I'll post some pics to show you the newest addition to the family. Its a big sigh of relief (along with a meh extra monthly payment) but here's to hoping our taxes & returns will turn out better than expected and our plans to pay off the hugemongo CC can still happen this year. 

Cari - glad to hear you are staying dry and safe with the fam and I do hope you are able to help out your local neighboors.  I'm like you - getting twitchy to do something in midst of disaster. 

Clay -argh about the bloodwork not revealing more. :(  and why are you having to call the seller and not your mom for putting you out there like that? *sigh*

Maia - thanks for the coworker vibes.  I just worked on some breathe work from meditation and reminded myself I can only control my actions and reactions and to focus on the now, let go of the past, and don't dwell in the "might be".  It amused me today as I got several emails to help her understand my expectations and "pop-ins" from her about stuff and "checking in".  I am just breathing... deep breathing...  AND yay for getting to see M!

hugs and groovy tunes (LOVE ABBA!) to all those housebound right now with the total dumping of snow - still just a dusting here (thankyouohsomuchgoddess!) and hopefully it will stay that way for a while. 

treehugger.gifAnd you who seek to know Me, know that the seeking and yearning will avail you not, unless you know the Mystery: for if that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without.treehugger.gif

Old 01-13-2011, 09:28 PM

Just popping by to say "hello."  I'm Pagan, and new to MDC.

Mama to Eris, born 9/21/2010! energy.gifbellyhair.gif@earthshod on Twitter.
Old 01-14-2011, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View Post

LOL... we watched the Mythbusters "cabin fever" segment the other day and I wanted to howl over the fact that they only "snow bound" the test subjects for two and a half days.  If you can't survive three days you're in trouble, but for a true cabin fever test you need a good solid winter and a survey in, say, February.

Clay - First, yes your mother is bonkers.

Second - Extreme Cabin Fever: A friend of mine and his girlfriend were on a glacier traverse/ice climbing/rock climbing expedition, planned to be 7 days out.  On the second day an storm blew in on the glacier. He and GF were snowed in - in a snow cave for 8 days. One crazy ^&%$ blizzard. The storm followed by extreme avalanche danger were to risky to venture out in until the weather stabilized. 8 days in a snow cave. He told me they played lots of cards, made their cave nice and big (5 feet tall, about 6 x 6 feet inside), and um, other aerobic activities.  They didn't continue their relationship afterwards, found out a bit too much reality about each other. But on the plus side, they both came out alive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiasaura View Post
Also there is the issue of gasoline. I have $40/week for it, but if it goes above like $2.85, it goes above $40 to fill the tank. So I'm going to try to do what my friend does and if there isn't enough, she doesn't drive. I will have to pick and choose where to go. It's at $3.08ish right now. I haven't gone anywhere in a week because we got snowed in. I'm going to top it off on Sunday (my designated get-gas day) but then the tank will have to last me a week. Usually it's not a problem, unless I forget to get gas on Sunday, and then I get all messed up. Sigh. Sometimes I have more driving to do than that. This is going to be hard.

Seriously.headscratch.gifconfused.gif It is $3.41 right now here in AK. The oil comes out of the ground 600 miles from here. Is refined 300 miles from here. Some of the lowest gas taxes in the country. I don't think I've paid less than $3/gal in 10 years.  Prices are expected to go up with the trans alaska pipeline shutdown/slowdown.  I forget how expensive things are in 'the great state' sometimes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaofthree View Post
since i think i might be pregnant for ever we have started making plans for this weekend. lol maybe that will kick things in to gear. haha

I promise, the baby will be born before he/she starts Kindergarten (just like he or she will be weaned before going off to college, right) winky.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by a13xandra View Post

Hello.  Welcome.  tiphat.gif  Very cute baby.  How old is he/she?

Liza - Bird watching, tree hugging, dirt eating, kinda-crunchy momma to my cub (3) and bird (1). treehugger.gifcold.gifdust.gifflower.gif
Old 01-14-2011, 12:25 AM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CariOfOz View PostI am finally in the 'I wanna kindle' crowd.  Eventually I want some land, and a couple of yurts..living in that sort of small space a lot of books isn't really an option!

A kindle in a yurt....is anyone seeing "contradiction in terms" or is it just me? Hee hee ;)

LOL  Nothing contradictory at all really.  I've talked to lots of people that livei n yurts and most of them have a laptop, mp3, player and such... but they also offset that by having solar panels etc ;)  i'm not an anti technology type yurt person, I'm an I want a cosy sized space that is AFFORDABLE and interesting type yurt person :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnschoolnMa View Post

Quote:
have to admit in the last few years (well.. 5yrs lol) I have NOT been as into my creative hobbies so much... partly due to the fact that it's HARD to do involved projects with small kids underfoot, partly because when I was pregnant I felt all my creative energy was sapped by creating a little human ;), and now partly because of this damn computer!

I totally understand that feeling of not feeling up to it. I've had a chaotic few years, and after the divorce, school going so poorly, and homelessness issues it was just like, "Art? Craft? What the bleep is that?"  I was too focused on surviving there for a bit. It's a little like exercise I find in that it's sometimes hard to get going, but you feel so much better when you do it. :)

I remember many years ago, when I was in intensive therapy for a major depressive episode, that was part of my therapy assignment :)  Every afternoon when I got home, I was to spend at least an hour beading or cross stitching (those were my favourites at the time) as a sort of meditation.  It really did work wonders for me!

Quote:

Saw the dr today... nothing unusual in the blood work sooooo... still in limbo.  She said she'd keep thinking/researching (and so will I) and that I should call her if anything new developes.  I have another hospital based workup on the 26th, hopefully that will give us a better picture of what my body thinks it's doing.

My mom just called and told us about a fabulous house in a wonderful neighborhood.  I sooooooo want to move (it's a 4 bedroom craftsman style home with a wrap around porch and big yard, across the street from a great public elementary school, a block from the tiny rural library/mom&pop store, walkable community with great spirit).  But there's no way in heck we could afford to move.  No way to sell our current home (it's still not technically a "habitation") and no room in the budget for a bigger mortgage.  So.... argh.  And she was actually getting snarky at me because I wasn't sufficiently grateful.  I don't know.  I thanked her repeatedly, I told her it sounded wonderful, and I also told her we just don't have the money.  But she hung up telling me that /I? have to call the person she was talking with and tell them we're not interested.  Sigh.  Why do /I/ have to call them?  I mean really... why on earth did she tell this person I'd be calling them about the house?  Of course I will call, since it's not fair to get the seller's hopes up, but still.

LOL having lived in Alaska you are spot on with cabin fever!  A few days DOES NOT COUNT.. that is stir crazy, or cooped up.. but doesn't even come close to cabin fever.  Having a brutally cold winter, with way more snow than you can really drive in half the time  and having all that start in November and carry through till march/april??? Yeah .. by Feb I can see why ppl go nuts.  Anchorage had the fur rondevous festival (around the starting of the iditarod race) that was designed to help fend off cabin fever. 

And I would NOT be calling anyone about a house ...I would make her do it since you did NOT express interest in the house.  She way overstepped her bounds there!

Fuel here is at 1.40c per litre, and since our dollar is just about at parity that makes the price per gallon 5.60! (can't post below quote)

Poor mo3!   My eviction notice didn't work.. damn LOL. 

DH spoke to his boss again this morning... they got half a foot or so of water in the warehouse.  Which means now it's filled with mud and debris, an all the stock has to be sent back to be repackaged and there are likely a lot of broken bottles amongst it too.  DH is going to go in monday and work as part of their clean up crew so they can get the warehouse empty & clean, so that when the rest of brisbane is ready for their wine, they have somewhere to deliver it from.  Of course... at the moment alot of the suburbs he delivers too are still waiting for the waters to recede!

Quote:

Originally Posted by liza-s View Post

Quote:

Seriously.headscratch.gifconfused.gif It is $3.41 right now here in AK. The oil comes out of the ground 600 miles from here. Is refined 300 miles from here. Some of the lowest gas taxes in the country. I don't think I've paid less than $3/gal in 10 years.  Prices are expected to go up with the trans alaska pipeline shutdown/slowdown.  I forget how expensive things are in 'the great state' sometimes.

uote:
Originally Posted by mamaofthree View Post
since i think i might be pregnant for ever we have started making plans for this weekend. lol maybe that will kick things in to gear. haha

I promise, the baby will be born before he/she starts Kindergarten (just like he or she will be weaned before going off to college, right) winky.gif

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
Old 01-14-2011, 06:24 AM

Alaska is wacky expensive.  My brother and SIL were here for what ended up being a much longer holiday visit than they had planned and they were thrilled by the relatively low prices.  Our gas is currently 2.25/gallon.  But just an hour or two away the prices are nearly 50 cents less.  Of course, driving two hours is going to kill any savings but whenever we're road tripping we make sure to fill up on the way home.  :)

The really annoying thing is that the price might vary as much as 20-25 cents over the course of a day!  My SIL was horrified...I guess in Fairbanks the price tends to stay the same for the week (and then go up, she said it never goes down lol) while here it's sort of a non-stop price flux.  It adds to the excitment I suppose.  ;)

Welcome a13!  Glad you found us!

Cabin fever- in the myth they rented one room cabins, took out the books and tv, and had one person per cabin.  I agree that that sort of isolation might accelerate the process, but they had paper, pens, food, furniture, ans so on.  And they even had a surprise visit from a yeti.  LOL  At least they decided that cabin fever was "possible"!

produce/grocery trips- what sort of produce?  Are ther longer lasting options?  We tend to eat seasonally and right now "seasonal veggies" also store well... apples, sweet potatoes, squash of various sorts.  And we have our home canned veggies.  It's true though that we're eating a lot of stews, chilis, soups, risottos, and beany rice and not so much green salad or fruit smoothies.  But I know those are on the way!  Hmmm... if you have produce that goes bad quickly maybe plan out some meals so that the perishable stuff gets eaten earlier in the week?  Or buy some fresh and some frozen?  It can be really hard to go gung-ho into budget land... sometimes it's easier to pick one thing at a time.  So maybe work on meal planning/oamc/"two times five" and let the once a week shopping grow out of that?  Or pick an amount of gas you'd like to use in a week and work around that for a week or two?  Just to see where the "tight spots" are?

When we started once a week shopping trips it was really tough... we had a few "cereal for dinner" nights and a few "look! creative cooking!" meals while I was getting a feel for just how much we actually eat in a week.  Some of me estimates were waaaaaaaay off, like I thought we used two sleeves of rice cakes a week.  In fact we use more like four... I just hadn't taken into account that I was /buying/ them two at a time but doing so twice a week.

mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

Old 01-14-2011, 07:37 AM

Morning! Welcome a13Xandra!

I want to get out of my house and the weather is not co-operating. I could have gone out yesterday, but my Buggy didn't want to, and it seemed pointless to make me stressed and her grumpy just to pick up some groceries.

Cari-How are you doing?

I love scrapbooking and card making but I just don't have a designated space to do it in. I suppose I could let dh move back into our room, but then I wouldn't get much sleep. He sleeps in the guest bedroom, which is where my craft supplies are, and it is accumulating his stuff- it just doesn't feel the same anymore- "boy germs". Just kidding, though it does smelll like hubbies soap in there. And I hate taking out my supplies, putting them away all the time. Why am I complaining again? hehe

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

Old 01-14-2011, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaofthree View Postmaia: we have the same issue with produce. some stuff last a long time like apples, but lettuce and things like that get nasty pretty quickly. maybe you could do one big shopping day a week and then mid-week budget in getting extra produce? maybe tie it in with some other time you have to be out driving? so you don't have to worry about extra gas?

I already do that, about combining trips thumb.gif I'm out every school day, taking ds to school, so I stop at the store on the way home. I have to call my friend up the street about carpooling again. Note to self LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ktg_ View PostAND yay for getting to see M!

Yeah-- remember I posted about him complaining last time that I "upset his routine"? Well-- he's been feeling really bad about that; he's a very routine-bound sort of person, though, so I had a new idea yesterday, and he went for it: I said, '"Will this mental shift help you? How about "You have a different routine when I am visiting"'. I think it will work!! Sometimes all we need is a mental shift, kwim?

Quote:

Welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CariOfOz View PostLOL  Nothing contradictory at all really.  I've talked to lots of people that livei n yurts and most of them have a laptop, mp3, player and such... but they also offset that by having solar panels etc ;)  i'm not an anti technology type yurt person, I'm an I want a cosy sized space that is AFFORDABLE and interesting type yurt person :D

Just teasing you, Cari orngtongue.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View Postproduce/grocery trips- what sort of produce?  Are ther longer lasting options?  We tend to eat seasonally and right now "seasonal veggies" also store well... apples, sweet potatoes, squash of various sorts.  And we have our home canned veggies.  It's true though that we're eating a lot of stews, chilis, soups, risottos, and beany rice and not so much green salad or fruit smoothies.  But I know those are on the way!  Hmmm... if you have produce that goes bad quickly maybe plan out some meals so that the perishable stuff gets eaten earlier in the week?  Or buy some fresh and some frozen?  It can be really hard to go gung-ho into budget land... sometimes it's easier to pick one thing at a time.  So maybe work on meal planning/oamc/"two times five" and let the once a week shopping grow out of that?  Or pick an amount of gas you'd like to use in a week and work around that for a week or two?  Just to see where the "tight spots" are?

When we started once a week shopping trips it was really tough... we had a few "cereal for dinner" nights and a few "look! creative cooking!" meals while I was getting a feel for just how much we actually eat in a week.  Some of me estimates were waaaaaaaay off, like I thought we used two sleeves of rice cakes a week.  In fact we use more like four... I just hadn't taken into account that I was /buying/ them two at a time but doing so twice a week.

Right now I'm on Phase 2 again of the Hcg diet, so I can only have a limited *kind* of veggies and fruits. Yeah, I guess I will have to rely more on frozen options. I am going to be doing this probably at least through January and hopefully through February as well. I can have spinach, cabbage, beet greens (how in the world to get those w/o the beets attached?), tomatoes, chard, asparagus, celery, green salad, red radishes, cucumbers, and onion. The ones that are on the list that I have no idea where to get are chicory and fennel (well, you can get that in the grocery, but I can't see eating it by itself). I can have apples, grapefruit, oranges, and strawberries. I'm not doing oranges at the moment.

What is OAMC and "two times five"?

Old 01-14-2011, 08:48 AM

Quote:

Hi:)  Welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by liza-s View Post

Gas is $3 and change here but it changes daily sometimes twice a day. It's not as high as it is where you are though. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CariOfOz View Post

Fuel here is at 1.40c per litre, and since our dollar is just about at parity that makes the price per gallon 5.60! (can't post below quote)

Wow that's expensive.  I forget how much more other countries pay for fuel compared to the US. 

earth.gif lovin, treehugger.gif  veggie

Old 01-14-2011, 08:54 AM

so much to chat about!

yurts - i would love a yurt.  dh not so much.  he prefers these homes: http://www.enertia.net/Home/tabid/36/Default.aspx

liza - YOWSA, i'd go nuts in a situation like your friends did (that is, if i made it past the "omg we're gonna die" panic stage).  no sky for 8 days?!  

MO3, maybe the babe wants to be an aquarius, not a capricorn.  (or a capricorn instead of a sagittarius, since they rediscovered what the babylonians really meant)

maia - beets themselves can be grated then salted and fermented.  the fermentation process would reduce their sugary sweetness.  hrm, now i've got a craving for fermented beets, perhaps with some caraway or fennel seeds tossed into the jar.  chicory greens are like dandelion greens.  and the ones in the store are actually quite bland.  fennel stalks and bulbs can be sauteed lightly with onions, and pairs well with fish, chicken (you can eat those, right?).   kale lasts a good long time in the fridge - can you eat that?  it can be steamed, sauteed, boiled or eaten raw (massage with salt, toss with lemon juice and oil and vinegar).  other ideas: fennel + apple + pork chop.  dandelion/chicory + balsamic or apple cider vinegar and olive oil + apple cubes.

clay - that sucks with the bloodwork; keep busy for the next little while so the waiting isn't so endless.  i also agree that your mom overstepped her boundary (if i recall, that's her pattern, right?)

welcome new goddesses!  glad you found us!  

(good luck keeping up!)

our gas is $3.11/gallon -- but then, we're in a college town with the interstate 1 hour away to the north and to the east, so everything is more expensive. oh, and gas ALWAYS goes down after dh fills up.  kinda like at the grocery store or the customs line at the border - we always end up in the slowest lane.

ktg - yay! to the new car.  make sure you check out the green hybrid forums (google it) - dh learned a lot about driving a hybrid there.

aubergine - next up on the turntable should be BoneyM. ;)  Boonoonoonoos was a really treehugger-y good song.  But their "Nightflight to venus" album had that awesome disco beat that made you get up and boogie.

got a bunch of things to finish up today - a report, a histology chapter and ... something else... work website updates i think.  i get to put on my "Media Relations" hat.  

update on my office feng shui project... i found a tabletop water fountain that also has real bonsai trees that i think i might just get for the office.  with a growlight, of course.  dh suggested that i try to get work to pay for it, but i can't see how i'd be able to justify that.  [i'll just claim it on my taxes as an unreimbursable employee expense for air quality improvements.]

Jennifer, Naturopath and mom

Old 01-14-2011, 08:55 AM

Quote:
 Right now I'm on Phase 2 again of the Hcg diet, so I can only have a limited *kind* of veggies and fruits. Yeah, I guess I will have to rely more on frozen options. I am going to be doing this probably at least through January and hopefully through February as well. I can have spinach, cabbage, beet greens (how in the world to get those w/o the beets attached?), tomatoes, chard, asparagus, celery, green salad, red radishes, cucumbers, and onion. The ones that are on the list that I have no idea where to get are chicory and fennel (well, you can get that in the grocery, but I can't see eating it by itself). I can have apples, grapefruit, oranges, and strawberries. I'm not doing oranges at the moment.

What is OAMC and "two times five"?

OAMC- once a month cooking.  Just google it, but basically one "Big Cooking Day" every month or twice a month with meals being frozen or completely prepped so that during the month meals are essentially mix/heat/eat.  It's a lot of meal planning/bulk shopping but there are websites that do most of the planning for you... shopping lists, menus, prep day and cooking day step by step guides, etc.

two x five- similar but less detailed.  Basically plan five meals to make ahead, then make those in a double batch.  So with one day of cooking you have 10 meals ready to go.

That's a tough list for winter shopping... some of those are seriously summer foods so the ones you're getting in the store are going to be halfway dead already.  Could you do a canned tomato or dried?  Cabbage, onions, fennel, celery, and radishes (plus your apples, oranges, and grapefruits) should be available in a "sturdier" form though, and they should last a week.  Oh, and fennel is totally noshable!  We slice it thin and the kiddos eat it straight.... it's a great snack plate addition (sliced apples, sliced fennel, carrots, etc), makes a nifty note in potato dishses, and it aids digestion so a little after a meal is perfect!  Beet greens are often sold in bags in the salad fixin section... or talk to a vendor at a farmer's market.  It's a double crop since the farmer can sell both the beet and the green.  But this time of year I'd probably look for frozen greens/spinach.  I've been leary of greens from any "unknown" source after last summer's e coli and salmonella scares so I actually don't buy those but frozen is probably better value (since fresh greens collapse to nearly nothing when cooked... at least with frozen you see what you get!).  lol

It's a doable list though, with maybe a mid-week top up on salad fixings?

Old 01-14-2011, 09:02 AM

our gas prices here in AZ aren't too bad... anywhere from $2.79 - 3.09 depending on which station you go to and if a store is offering a deal or not.

maia: maybe chopping up and freezing some of the greens you buy right away will help? i am guessing that you cook most of them correct?

clay: what they should have done is spent a week with 90 inches of snow outside the cabin and a house full of kids who want to eat constantly and play outside and they don't get to interact with any other adult for the whole week. LOL

good lords my sleeping is getting worse and worse. i might just give it up all together, it is just too depressing to try and not sleep well every freaking night! lol what is weird is so much of my reality is ending up in my dreams.

well i have a list of things to do today, so i am going to TRY and stay off the computer. lol

have a wonderful day.

h

Old 01-14-2011, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluets View Postmaia - beets themselves can be grated then salted and fermented.  the fermentation process would reduce their sugary sweetness.  hrm, now i've got a craving for fermented beets, perhaps with some caraway or fennel seeds tossed into the jar.  chicory greens are like dandelion greens.  and the ones in the store are actually quite bland.  fennel stalks and bulbs can be sauteed lightly with onions, and pairs well with fish, chicken (you can eat those, right?).   kale lasts a good long time in the fridge - can you eat that?  it can be steamed, sauteed, boiled or eaten raw (massage with salt, toss with lemon juice and oil and vinegar).  other ideas: fennel + apple + pork chop.  dandelion/chicory + balsamic or apple cider vinegar and olive oil + apple cubes.

BLECH on fermented grossedout.gif Oh, Gods, I am not a fermented type. Thanks, though redface.gif I have never seen chicory greens in the store. I have seen dandelion, just yesterday. How weird is that, when in the summer you can get them for free every yard you look in. I can eat fish and chicken, yes. Not kale. Not pork. Not balsamic. Might try fennel next week, or the week after, if I get bored, though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wombatclay View PostOAMC- once a month cooking.  Just google it, but basically one "Big Cooking Day" every month or twice a month with meals being frozen or completely prepped so that during the month meals are essentially mix/heat/eat.  It's a lot of meal planning/bulk shopping but there are websites that do most of the planning for you... shopping lists, menus, prep day and cooking day step by step guides, etc.

two x five- similar but less detailed.  Basically plan five meals to make ahead, then make those in a double batch.  So with one day of cooking you have 10 meals ready to go.

That's a tough list for winter shopping... some of those are seriously summer foods so the ones you're getting in the store are going to be halfway dead already.  Could you do a canned tomato or dried?  Cabbage, onions, fennel, celery, and radishes (plus your apples, oranges, and grapefruits) should be available in a "sturdier" form though, and they should last a week.  Oh, and fennel is totally noshable!  We slice it thin and the kiddos eat it straight.... it's a great snack plate addition (sliced apples, sliced fennel, carrots, etc), makes a nifty note in potato dishses, and it aids digestion so a little after a meal is perfect!  Beet greens are often sold in bags in the salad fixin section... or talk to a vendor at a farmer's market.  It's a double crop since the farmer can sell both the beet and the green.  But this time of year I'd probably look for frozen greens/spinach.  I've been leary of greens from any "unknown" source after last summer's e coli and salmonella scares so I actually don't buy those but frozen is probably better value (since fresh greens collapse to nearly nothing when cooked... at least with frozen you see what you get!).  lol

It's a doable list though, with maybe a mid-week top up on salad fixings?

Well...maybe I'll try fennel. Yeah, I know lots of those are summer veggies greensad.gif I did find frozen strawberries at the poor store for like $1.50 a bag, though! Tuesday I hope they are still there, so I can stock up. I'm eating a lot of apples. Add to the problem is I can't have two of the same anything in a day, or two of something at the same time. So, for instance, two fruits, two veggies, two proteins-- but one of each, two different times of the day, two different kinds. Onions are sketchy-- some use them as a condiment. As I do. So I saute things with them, but only a very little, chopped up, for flavor.

It doesn't say whether the tomatoes have to be fresh or whatever. Though I've heard that canned ones can stall losses, perhaps because they are so concentrated that the sugary part builds up? Dunno. I'm using Romas. They're the cheapest per pound. Sometimes I eat them raw and sometimes cooked. And I did find a pickle that I can have, so on cucumber days I have raw cucumber and some pickles, for variety. Cucumbers are lovely with salt on! yummy.gif

I did fix a lot of the things at once. Like, I grilled a ton of chicken and froze it. Same with steak. The fishes already came frozen in the right portions! thumb.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaofthree View Postmaia: maybe chopping up and freezing some of the greens you buy right away will help? i am guessing that you cook most of them correct?

clay: what they should have done is spent a week with 90 inches of snow outside the cabin and a house full of kids who want to eat constantly and play outside and they don't get to interact with any other adult for the whole week. LOL

Yeah, I don't eat a lot of raw in the winter. If I can help it. I kind of have to, on this diet, for variety, but I mostly cook things.

YES, what you said, on the suggestion for cabin fever show! lol.gif

Old 01-14-2011, 11:32 AM

Quote:

Hi there, and welcome to MDC! :)

Quote:

yurts - i would love a yurt.  dh not so much.  he prefers these homes: http://www.enertia.net/Home/tabid/36/Default.aspx

The energy idea is cool there in those houses! I do love yurts do to my love affair with all things round. My fiance and I are going to be building a "tiny house" as soon as possible. Most likely starting when the weather turns.

So I was reading at Wild Hunt and came across this. http://wildhunt.org/blog/

I am curious what you all think. I thought it was lovely, and if anything seemed peculiar it was the hooting of the audience during a solemn occasion. I think brief applause would have been sufficient in this setting.

Old 01-14-2011, 12:50 PM

Quote:

Welcome! I absolutely love the name Eris. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aubergine68 View Post

I had to post - I've been thinking about this.  I'm going to try  re-using them to make beeswax tealights for Imbolc - I have wicking and those little metal anchors, I think I can reuse those.  

I was also thinking of using them as molds for old playdough or clay  or salt clay and making a whole lot of air dried little pucks and letting the kids try using them as blocks.

Ooohhh, I like the clay idea! And of course reusing them as candles. Now I'm thinking of all the things we could do with round tablets like make jewelry and ornaments. Oh, and game pieces! Now I'm wondering about watercolor paints...

bluets- I am totally late but I hope you had a happy birthday! 

UnschoolnMa- You know, I was thinking the same thing when I was watching the memorial. I thought it was pretty disrespectful to have all the hooting and hollering especially during the more emotional meaningful moments. I thought it was really out of place and couldn't figure out why they'd do something like that. I actually stopped watching it because it was making me uncomfortable- not in an angry bad way I just really felt for the families. 

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
Old 01-14-2011, 02:43 PM

I lost a post this morning, apparently.  Boo!

Hope all are doing well.

Maia, I tend to tend to buy spinach instead of lettuces for salads because I can put the whole bag in the freezer if it starts to turn and then pull out handfuls for smoothies, stirfries, omelets, etc.  I go through my fridge every few days and chop and freeze veggies and fruit that's getting past their prime.  I use the veggies in everything savory, the fruit for smoothies/or to stirfry with some cinnamon.  I also go through my freezer regularly, too.

This has cut down a lot on food waste for me.  

Quote:

Ooohhh, I like the clay idea! And of course reusing them as candles. Now I'm thinking of all the things we could do with round tablets like make jewelry and ornaments. Oh, and game pieces! Now I'm wondering about watercolor paints...

I *really* like your ideas.  I wonder how durable the tablets would be?  We have some salt clay ghosts that the children have been playing with since Halloween here, so that augurs well.  Maybe a set of runes?

Old 01-14-2011, 02:46 PM

tealights- do you garden?  Or have outdoor space?  They might make interesting wind/sun catchers or scare crow additions (thread them on twine with knot to keep the metal bits spaced out then hang like bunting).

chickory- it's used as a coffee substitute or blended into coffee in some regions.  Not around here, but I remember a tour group from Louisiana my dad led one summer... they were thrilld to find chickory growing wild.  It was the first time I really "looked at weeds" as food... I mean, we ate dandelions and cattails a lot, but those were "foods".  Chickory was just green stuff growing in a ditch.  lol

DH came home early... we're all sick, but we can be sick together.  So that's actually kind of nice.  :)

Old 01-14-2011, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by witchygrrl View Post

We have about 2 feet of snow here, and while I do want DD to play outside (if she can), I don't know that I am up for it. I just don't like snow like I used to.

All this snow is yucky.  Even when I was a kid, I didn't like snow.  I liked the idea of it in that I would get a day off school but I wasn't into being cold.  cold.gif

Quote:

My mom just called and told us about a fabulous house in a wonderful neighborhood.  I sooooooo want to move (it's a 4 bedroom craftsman style home with a wrap around porch and big yard, across the street from a great public elementary school, a block from the tiny rural library/mom&pop store, walkable community with great spirit).  But there's no way in heck we could afford to move.  

That's torture.  greensad.gif  It sounds like a wonderful house/neighborhood.  It stinks not being able to afford to move. (I definitely understand that!)

Quote:

Hi!  Welcome to our cozy group!

Quote:

DH came home early... we're all sick, but we can be sick together.  So that's actually kind of nice.  :)

You are next in line for something truly wonderful to happen to you.  So be prepared.  love.gif

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

Old 01-14-2011, 03:32 PM

Quote:

chickory- it's used as a coffee substitute or blended into coffee in some regions.  Not around here, but I remember a tour group from Louisiana my dad led one summer... they were thrilld to find chickory growing wild.  It was the first time I really "looked at weeds" as food... I mean, we ate dandelions and cattails a lot, but those were "foods".  Chickory was just green stuff growing in a ditch.  lol

but don't collect things from random ditches.  car exhaust is quite toxic and settles nicely on nearby plants.  you want to collect wild edibles where the cars aren't coughing on them.

the dandelion in the store and most cultivated dandelion is actually a chicory species.  cousins, if you will.  i guess people are squeamish about eating dandelion so they call it Cichorium and then charge mucho bucks instead.  meh - sorry, just feeling a tad cynical today.

got almost nothing done except my mammoth 2010 activity report for work.  we were busier than i thought we were.  now how to convert that into massive support for a building.  i thought about getting a prosperity feng shui stone to help get our grants funded.  we're 0 for 2 on building grants, luckily our scientific grants have had much better luck (and really, that's what you need for grants these days - luck, and lots of it) .

Jennifer, Naturopath and mom

Old 01-14-2011, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aubergine68 View PostMaia, I tend to tend to buy spinach instead of lettuces for salads because I can put the whole bag in the freezer if it starts to turn and then pull out handfuls for smoothies, stirfries, omelets, etc.  I go through my fridge every few days and chop and freeze veggies and fruit that's getting past their prime.  I use the veggies in everything savory, the fruit for smoothies/or to stirfry with some cinnamon.  I also go through my freezer regularly, too.

This has cut down a lot on food waste for me.  

I *really* like your ideas.  I wonder how durable the tablets would be?  We have some salt clay ghosts that the children have been playing with since Halloween here, so that augurs well.  Maybe a set of runes?

I save the bits I cut from veggies (like ends and rinds of things, and skins) in a plastic baggie in the freezer. A big baggie. Then when it gets full, I cook it all down in the crock pot with water and spices, and use it for soup base.

Stir-fried fruit with cinnamon-- now, that sounds really yummy!

Runes, GREAT idea! I was thinking checkers, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View Postchickory- it's used as a coffee substitute or blended into coffee in some regions.  Not around here, but I remember a tour group from Louisiana my dad led one summer... they were thrilld to find chickory growing wild.  It was the first time I really "looked at weeds" as food... I mean, we ate dandelions and cattails a lot, but those were "foods".  Chickory was just green stuff growing in a ditch.  lol

Yeah, I have it growing in my yard. I saved a bunch of roots last year, and then got lazy and tossed them back outside redface.gif I have plantain, dandelion, I forgot what-all else. No yarrow, I don't think, and I really wish I had nettles, but no water around here. Pine, though. I ought to try pine tea for Imbolc. We did discover that the one tree in the yard is a mulberry, though yummy.gif Boy, those things are good.

The diet, though; it lists it as a vegetable (chicory, not mulberry lol.gif ). I wouldn't begin to know how to eat it.

User Tag List