January Pagan Circle - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 521 Old 01-01-2011, 05:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

New month, new year!  Hope you all have a happy, healthy, and prosperous 2011!

What are your plans for this weekend?

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 521 Old 01-01-2011, 05:09 AM

Thank you and the same to you namaste.gif

The weather is beautiful here, just above freezing, clear blue sky and sunny, so we are going to go for a long walk along the fjord, through the forest there treehugger.gif

Then back home to eat pancakes and drink hot teateapot2.GIF

namaste.gif
#3 of 521 Old 01-01-2011, 05:11 AM - Thread Starter

Sounds lovely!  Welcome to the Circle!

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

#4 of 521 Old 01-01-2011, 05:28 AM

We had a wonderful start to our new year, though Bella ate too much and had a stomachache, she woke up just fine this morning. (Mommy over did it as well) We made a cake and lit a candle, each child said a wish for the new year and blew out the candle. We had a fake countdown so the kids could go to sleep, but hubby and I made it till midnight.

Our snow has melted and the kids are bummed, we had planned to go sledding.

I have a word for the new year- wellness...

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#5 of 521 Old 01-01-2011, 07:32 AM

Happy 2011 all!  My word is going to be "Joyful"!  I was teetering between "health" and "prosperity" but finally decided that I'd go the Prince of Denmark route (nothing good or ill but thinking makes it so) and focus on finding and accepting JOY.  I can't magic back my teeth or wave a wand to fix our family's financial picture, but I can find the daily joys and meet the world in a joyful way.

Today is yet another jam packed day, but I have Hoppin' John on the stove (black eyed peas, bringing good luck in the new year), spoonfuls of sweet rice (brown rice and honey, to ensure that the new year is filled with security...the rice... and blessings...the honey), and I'll we rinsing down the house with our home made super stuff (water, hydrogen peroxide, grapefruit seed oil, tea tree oil, dr bronner's peppermint soap) before doing a "welcoming ritual".  There's a nice website with info, but here's the heart of it:

Quote:
 The woman of the house first sweeps and cleans every corner of the home. Then she walks around the outside of the dwelling three times and standing in the open doorway calls out this welcome, “the bidding-in of the elves”:
“Come, those who wish to come, Stay, those who wish to stay, and Fare, those who wish to fare, harmless to me and mine.”** And of course the alfs and wights love a good meal, and appreciate a clean home, just as they value good manners.

I usually try to have all the cleaning done so I can avoid tasks on NYDay but this year?  Well.  LOL

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#6 of 521 Old 01-01-2011, 08:35 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Happy New Year everyone!

Ooo... I love that ritual Clay, so I'm going to adapt it to my lice-carcass-infested laundry (a task that does need to be done today)!  Only they may not stay.

I've got Hoppin' John simmering in the crockpot too (started it last night).  Collards in the fridge....  yum.  I used a meaty ham bone leftover from Thanksgiving so it will meet dh's criteria of "meat".

I'm thinking our word needs to be Balance.  Maybe I need to make that big and stick it to a wall somewhere.

I learned a big lesson with this lice thing:  Castor oil applied topically - EVEN ON THE HEAD - has a crampy laxative effect.  I'm switching to a different oil :)

Jennifer, Naturopath and mom

#7 of 521 Old 01-01-2011, 08:50 AM

I've been thinking I might make a wall hanging with this year's word... just a nice sheet or chunk of fabric from the thrift store, then letters cut out from other fabric and sewn in place (or embroidered, but the cut letters seem quicker).  Hem the whole thing and hang!  I had originally thought of it as a sort of patchwork quilt made from fabric found by each family member (or taken from worn out clothes) but I want it "done" so a true quilt might be tough.

Then again, a quilt DEOS take time ('specially hand stitched) and that might be more appropriate... I'd be "forced" to contemplete my word almost daily in a very physical way.  A wall hanging/flag might fade into the decore too quickly.  Hmmmm.

Good luck with the bug-riddance!

mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#8 of 521 Old 01-01-2011, 09:38 AM

happy new years!

h

mama to 6 amazing children joy.gif married to my main man for 21 years love.gif and finally home FULL time dishes.gifhang.gifknit.gif

#9 of 521 Old 01-01-2011, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay Today is yet another jam packed day, but I have Hoppin' John on the stove (black eyed peas, bringing good luck in the new year), spoonfuls of sweet rice (brown rice and honey, to ensure that the new year is filled with security...the rice... and blessings...the honey), and I'll we rinsing down the house with our home made super stuff (water, hydrogen peroxide, grapefruit seed oil, tea tree oil, dr bronner's peppermint soap) before doing a "welcoming ritual".  There's a nice website with info, but here's the heart of it:

Do you think it'd be alright if I did this after we get home, and not today? Monday? Because I'm stuck here today, and then we're traveling tomorrow, so in *our own home* the New Year doesn't really start till Monday. I think-- like you said, thinking makes it so, so it WILL be so. So ha. Right? winky.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluets View PostI learned a big lesson with this lice thing:  Castor oil applied topically - EVEN ON THE HEAD - has a crampy laxative effect.  I'm switching to a different oil :)

Yikes. notes.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay I've been thinking I might make a wall hanging with this year's word... just a nice sheet or chunk of fabric from the thrift store, then letters cut out from other fabric and sewn in place (or embroidered, but the cut letters seem quicker).  Hem the whole thing and hang!  I had originally thought of it as a sort of patchwork quilt made from fabric found by each family member (or taken from worn out clothes) but I want it "done" so a true quilt might be tough.

Then again, a quilt DEOS take time ('specially hand stitched) and that might be more appropriate... I'd be "forced" to contemplete my word almost daily in a very physical way.  A wall hanging/flag might fade into the decore too quickly.  Hmmmm.

What a fantastic idea. I like Clarity, like some of you suggested, but I'm thinking I want one that...hmm, something about our relationship that involves positivity and how to move forward when we hit snags. Which could also carry into my other relationships, like with ds, and my mom, etc. 

The quilt thing-- puts me in mind of Morgaine crafting the Scabbard in Mists of Avalon. Maybe you can do a quick one just to get one up, while you work on the quilty one?

Happy new year, all! 

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

#10 of 521 Old 01-01-2011, 10:33 AM

Hi, all, can I join?  I found the old thread a while back, but was a bit intimidated by the long thread, and didn't see that I could get caught up.  But with a new thread, I don't have to get caught up since I caught it at the beginning!!!

I'm a bit pagan, bit Mother-Goddess lover, bit witchy-we'moon,  teeny bit of Christianity left over from my childhood.  We don't celebrate much at home, we should do more with candle ceremonies and stuff.  My beliefs are so different from most people I know that I get caught up in doing it myself and do nothing.  More celebrating in the new year!  That's one of my goals!

"Listen, are you breathing just a little and calling it a life?"~Mary Oliver

RT knitting mama  to 3 (& 8 who didn't make it) wife working on 13 years to a silly man who drives me crazy.
#11 of 521 Old 01-01-2011, 10:43 AM

I love your ideas for quilts!

Sometime soon I want to make one of these

http://rhythmofthehome.com/winter-2010/fabric-labyrinth-children/

RT knitting mama  to 3 (& 8 who didn't make it) wife working on 13 years to a silly man who drives me crazy.
#12 of 521 Old 01-01-2011, 10:54 AM

Oh, I wish I was a crafty girl! I am just not. That labyrinth is beautiful.

Happy New Year everyone! We went to  a party last night, but left early to minimize the amount of drunk people we might encounter on the roads. Then we came home, DD wanted to stay up so we did, watching Dick Clark, and then Whose Line is it Anyway? afterward. Then bed.

I think for this year, my word needs to be Growth. I felt very stagnant last year.

Come ponder with me about food!
#13 of 521 Old 01-01-2011, 10:56 AM

Happy New Year!

Welcome, Midwitch!  We are supposed to warm up to near freezing here, today, too, but still about 15 below 0 C.  Too cold to play outside with my youngest - we are going to head to the rec center and skate or swim, though I'm sure it will be super crowded.

The word 'resilience'  comes to mind, Maia?  I think that is not quite what you are looking for.  Someone suggested the word `Progress' last year, which I really liked.

My word for last year was `light' and it was a great choice for me.  Clarity is a related word.  Both words are all over my Treasure Map, so I'll be living with them for a while.  My life is lighter and brighter, but not *too* light - I decluttered and unloaded a lot of weight and darkness, but I do not think I have been flighty or light-fingered, or light-weight or any of those negative meanings.

Still in dialogue with my family about what words we're choosing.  I have washed off our chalkboard in the kitchen - new year, a literal clean slate.  We use it for family to-do lists regularly, so it is that kind of space where we put something that we intend to work on manifesting.  I have written the following words across the top of the chalkboard, and there they will stay, unless I come up with something more permanent, like a hanging or quilt:  "Goals achieved" (for my dd who always sets goals but then changes them), "Fun" for my 6-year-old - a great choice, I thought!  And "Pride", which is my word. Dh and youngest DS haven't put their words forth yet.  I figure having all the words up together, we will all benefit from the energy of all of them.

I've been ambivalent about putting up a word that has such negative connotations, but it feels right.  I think I am self-aware enough to avoid arrogance, but I want to feel genuine, healthy pride in all the areas of my life where I currently feel inadequate or insufficient.  Mostly in how I relate to people outside my family, how I relate to my body, and how I relate to certain  private spiritual goals.  Pride as healthy confidence. I have sun, Mars and Venus in Leo, though few would guess that, who know me, since I don't show much Leo -- I have a Virgo ascendent, so I present to the world as introverted, focused on small stuff, service oriented, and an Aquarius moon, which keeps me open-minded and new-agey and really balances the Leo negatives..   So what that word means to me is a desire to express the best of Leo qualities, to live my life so that I can feel a healthy genuine pride in everything I do, in all my relationships.  I want to live in a way that supports healthy pride in others, too. A U2ish sorta Pride (in the name of Love), maybe.

Time to go be a parent!

ETA - crossposted with you, coyotemist!  Welcome!  Thanks for posting the labyrinth quilt.  I was trying to work on a clay classical labyrinth like that, but it kept cracking.  I want to try again, got lots of clay!  Or maybe in wood?  I wanted to make something that I could use for meditation but that my boys could use for a toy with their minotaur figure....

#14 of 521 Old 01-01-2011, 11:26 AM

Wood would be really fun, I got a scroll saw for Christmas! :)

In the next month I'm going to start stripping wallpaper from my kitchen and painting it.  I love the idea of a small to medium chalkboard, we have just the right wall for it!  Goals and words and special things...

#15 of 521 Old 01-01-2011, 11:31 AM

subbing

bellycast.gifI am the Goddess, I am the Mother, all acts of love and pleasure are my rituals.dust.gif
#16 of 521 Old 01-01-2011, 11:57 AM

welcome 2011!!!

I know I won't be able to keep up with you ladies ;) You're all too quick for me with the posting and the news, I am left behind in the dust!! LOL No worries though, I still appreciate you all!

I have been doing a lot of cleaning, purging, organizing...and I plan to continue this year.

I don't know if I want to come up with a word for the year...but I plan to just try to be better all around....again. I feel like this last year I spent time finding ways to make improvements...so hopefully now I can spend the year making the improvements! I am excited about 2011!!

~Autumn~   Mama to whistling.gif (2001) and hearts.gif(2005) partners.gif madly in love since '99 
#17 of 521 Old 01-01-2011, 01:22 PM

Happy New Year Everyone!!  The temps took a sudden drop - so while it looks sunny & fun outside, brrr its chilly!  We're trying to finish the massive to-do list we had while I was on vacation this past week.  Almost there.... :)

Word for this year... I like these "Balance" and "Believe" and I'm tempted to throw in a "breathe"too .  I love the chalkboard to keep the words visible, but ours is often the "to-do" list. winky.gif

Welcome Coyotemist & Midwitch!  and YAY for the pop-in Autumn!!! 

DH just made me a hot shower since I'm all tense from dealing with a croupy little man this morning.  Sending out love & light!! joy.gif

Autumn Breeze likes this.

treehugger.gifAnd you who seek to know Me, know that the seeking and yearning will avail you not, unless you know the Mystery: for if that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without.treehugger.gif

#18 of 521 Old 01-01-2011, 02:20 PM

I too would like to join the circle,I'm a beginner I've just started dwelving into Paganism/Wicca and I still have a lot to learn.

My word for the New year is Patience because i need to find more of it.

Sharon wife to my hero James and  momma to Kaitlyn 17, Tayler 15 and Anna 7.fur momma to Kami  pit/boxer mix.

#19 of 521 Old 01-01-2011, 03:02 PM

Happy New Year! Welcome new-comers!

I think my word for 2010 was TRUST, though I didn't know that til Solstice. Not sure, maybe it should be 2011's... I don't know!

Had a pretty good New Year's Eve at my friend's house. Drank some, but not too much, watched the ball drop and then listened to my friend become violently ill! Poor thing has some kind of brutal stomach/intestinal bug. She was up all night sick as a dog! :( Made her up a blend of herbal tea to help with the fever, settle her stomach and give her some strength. Hoping she feel better in the morning.

Gotta get cleaning my room. Eclipse sent me this angel ritual thing. 5 angels are due to arrive at 10:30pm. I totally don't know what to think about it, but I gotta try I suppose. I certainly don't want to offend any angels!

bellycast.gifI am the Goddess, I am the Mother, all acts of love and pleasure are my rituals.dust.gif
#20 of 521 Old 01-01-2011, 06:30 PM

i have been thinking about this word thing a bit... i am leaning towards "loving-kindness" for others as well as myself. 

made black eyed peas with ham and collards. after i told the kids it would bring good luck they all at least tried it. lol it was actually pretty good and nice and warming considering it was a wee bit chilly here in AZ. 

dh took the boys on a hike this early afternoon and then he went to the salvation army and found a print of starry night for me. <3 ahhh i love me some van gogh. plus i got to watch the Dr. who with van gogh in it today. <3 

well must go deal with the kidlets. :)

h

mama to 6 amazing children joy.gif married to my main man for 21 years love.gif and finally home FULL time dishes.gifhang.gifknit.gif

#21 of 521 Old 01-01-2011, 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaughterOfKali View Post

New month, new year!  Hope you all have a happy, healthy, and prosperous 2011!

What are your plans for this weekend?

Well it's half way through sunday here :)  We have pottered around in the garden,  let the kids have a swim in the pool (one of those easy set jobbies, it lives on the end of the veranda until summer leaves) , and this afternoon we are going to get started on cleaning the garage & organizing stuff for lifeline to pick up :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by wombatclay View Post

Happy 2011 all!  My word is going to be "Joyful"!  I was teetering between "health" and "prosperity" but finally decided that I'd go the Prince of Denmark route (nothing good or ill but thinking makes it so) and focus on finding and accepting JOY.  I can't magic back my teeth or wave a wand to fix our family's financial picture, but I can find the daily joys and meet the world in a joyful way.

Today is yet another jam packed day, but I have Hoppin' John on the stove (black eyed peas, bringing good luck in the new year), spoonfuls of sweet rice (brown rice and honey, to ensure that the new year is filled with security...the rice... and blessings...the honey), and I'll we rinsing down the house with our home made super stuff (water, hydrogen peroxide, grapefruit seed oil, tea tree oil, dr bronner's peppermint soap) before doing a "welcoming ritual".  There's a nice website with info, but here's the heart of it:

Quote:
 The woman of the house first sweeps and cleans every corner of the home. Then she walks around the outside of the dwelling three times and standing in the open doorway calls out this welcome, “the bidding-in of the elves”:
“Come, those who wish to come, Stay, those who wish to stay, and Fare, those who wish to fare, harmless to me and mine.”** And of course the alfs and wights love a good meal, and appreciate a clean home, just as they value good manners.

I usually try to have all the cleaning done so I can avoid tasks on NYDay but this year?  Well.  LOL

Clay, I think that's a great word for the year for you :D    Btw, we didn't manage to avoid all house cleaning on new years either lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluets View Post

I learned a big lesson with this lice thing:  Castor oil applied topically - EVEN ON THE HEAD - has a crampy laxative effect.  I'm switching to a different oil :)

ooops!  Hope that disappears quickly lol.. totally sounds like something I would do without thinking anything of it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotemist View Post

Hi, all, can I join?  I found the old thread a while back, but was a bit intimidated by the long thread, and didn't see that I could get caught up.  But with a new thread, I don't have to get caught up since I caught it at the beginning!!! 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharon71 View Post

I too would like to join the circle,I'm a beginner I've just started dwelving into Paganism/Wicca and I still have a lot to learn.

My word for the New year is Patience because i need to find more of it.

Welcome ladies :D  Coyote, we DO get a bit chatty lol... usually we average about 1pg (of 20posts) a day from what I've noticed! 

I still don't have a firmly decided upon word for the year, but I am leaning towards equilibrium .. as there's going to be a lot of stuff to balance this year.

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
#22 of 521 Old 01-01-2011, 11:46 PM

Thank goodness December is over.  House projects are mostly done (crawlspace insulation, new boiler/water heater, new closet out of space formerly occupied by water heater tank), work schedule returning to normal (had to work lots of extra days), DD seems to be past her gut issues (thanks for advice & empathy)....

In part due to the house projects, I've been on a massive purge kick. Got rid of lots of stuff during Nov & Dec via donation, hand-me-down,craigslist, freecycle & consignment.  Sold my last big thing Thursday (exersaucer/activity center) but decided later that day to sell the one piece of our original "new couple" furniture that we both liked and still do(a pub height table that filled in as kitchen counter for first 8 years together).  We are both still really fond of it, but I've rearranged our kitchen, living room/dining area layout at it no longer fits.  My parents got us a sectional couch for "christmas, birthdays, anniversary etc for the next two years" (said 1/2 in jest) and I love it and our new room layout.  With the new boiler I was able to free up food storage area in the closet which housed my boiler (previously it was too hot, but new boiler is 95% efficient and closed combustion so much cooler unit) so I have more room in my kitchen, with room rearrangement in the living room/dining area and the new couch it is a much better use of space - that doesn't block baseboard heaters - and it is still an open room but is more clearly divided between entry area, dining area and living room space.  I still have to do some work to move my TV/stereo stuff into built in bookshelves in the room (and get rid of another piece of less than ideal furniture) but it is really coming together. The kids room should also be done this month - I have to still redo the closet, which I previously made into a desk - back into clothing storage which will have to be more dresser space than closet.

I really love Clay's new year's ritual. Once I am to a point of being able to clean a bit more/put away final tools (maybe this week) I will have to do this. Although we are having a thaw right now and my roof has "roofalanched" the 2 foot slab of snow so there won't be any walking around much of my house, except for a straight line in the front and back yard. (& That is going to be one fun pile of snow to move so I can exit my back door too.)

DH & I watch the solstice eclipse go to completion, it was beautiful. We danced in the street to stay warm. "It's a wonderful night for a moon dance..." The we ran inside as soon as it was dark. But due to house crap and my parent's visiting we didn't do anything for the solstice. I still want to do something, but not sure what we'll do now.

DD is asleep on the couch next to me. She actually open her eyes looked at me and went back down - that is incredibly rare.  I am getting very anxious for her to move out of my bed at night.  She had such difficulty sleeping at night and had reverse cycled so nights would probably be non-sleep events for me.

Jan 1 - today we gained 2 minutes 3 seconds of daylight for at total of 5:40 hours daylight, and the sun is 6 degrees on the horizon at solar noon. (It will be twice as high by the end of the month)

Peace & Light to all.

Liza - Bird watching, tree hugging, dirt eating, kinda-crunchy momma to my cub (3) and bird (1). treehugger.gifcold.gifdust.gifflower.gif
#23 of 521 Old 01-02-2011, 12:18 AM

I never noticed the "views" count for a thread. 1 day old thread with 22 posts and 133 views. Wow. (I have to admit I'm a little creeped out but the number of lurkers- but I had a bad incident a couple months back likely from a MDC stalker, which then resulted in me being more a lurker than normal.)

I need some ideas for a large stash of felted wool sweaters - besides soakers and bags. I use them for soaker pads on the mattress but that is hopefully becoming less of an issue soon too.

thanks.

Liza - Bird watching, tree hugging, dirt eating, kinda-crunchy momma to my cub (3) and bird (1). treehugger.gifcold.gifdust.gifflower.gif
#24 of 521 Old 01-02-2011, 03:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaofthree View Post

made black eyed peas with ham and collards. after i told the kids it would bring good luck they all at least tried it. lol it was actually pretty good and nice and warming considering it was a wee bit chilly here in AZ. 

dh took the boys on a hike this early afternoon and then he went to the salvation army and found a print of starry night for me. <3 ahhh i love me some van gogh. plus i got to watch the Dr. who with van gogh in it today. <3 

Also had that for dinner.  My friend makes that an annual dinner, I stopped by on my way to work.  It was yummy.  My favorite is the pork cooked in sauerkraut with dumplings over the top.  mmm...mmm...mmm

Van Gogh is wonderful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CariOfOz View Post

Welcome ladies :D  Coyote, we DO get a bit chatty lol... usually we average about 1pg (of 20posts) a day from what I've noticed! 

I still don't have a firmly decided upon word for the year, but I am leaning towards equilibrium .. as there's going to be a lot of stuff to balance this year.

Thanks for the welcome!  Now I know I belong here...another Cari spelled Cari.  :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by liza-s View Post

I never noticed the "views" count for a thread. 1 day old thread with 22 posts and 133 views. Wow. (I have to admit I'm a little creeped out but the number of lurkers- but I had a bad incident a couple months back likely from a MDC stalker, which then resulted in me being more a lurker than normal.)

I need some ideas for a large stash of felted wool sweaters - besides soakers and bags. I use them for soaker pads on the mattress but that is hopefully becoming less of an issue soon too.

thanks.

Wow, creepy, I'm sorry.  I lurked a bit last month, but like I said, I got overwhelmed by the speed.  I promise I'm not a stalker.

At work tonight, getting ready to go do my last rounds.  These last 9 hours have passed quickly, hope the next 3.5 do too.  Got started on a knitted shawl for me out of a really lovely yarn by Mosaic Moon (well, which of their yarns ISN'T lovely??? hee hee).  I think it's called Tristan and Isolde, jewel tones with white and brown. 

As of this afternoon, I had officially lost 4 pounds since Christmas, I hope that's not totally out the window since I didn't eat well at work tonight.  It's hard on night shift to avoid the cookies.

#25 of 521 Old 01-02-2011, 05:19 AM

Good Morning and Happy New Year Mamas:)

Welcome Midwitch, Coyotemist and Sharon71.

I never made it until midnight on New Years Eve, fell asleep at 10:00p.  I have been trying to get rid of this cold I have had for about a week now.  It's almost gone:)

I have to do some thinking on my word for the year.  Nothing speaks to me yet but I have not really been tuned in either.

I wish everyone a wonderful 2011 filled with many blessings and good health.

earth.gif lovin, treehugger.gif  veggie

#26 of 521 Old 01-02-2011, 05:49 AM

Redveg- good to hear from you!

Welcome new friends!

I was contemplating my word and wondering what I really mean't by it- wellness, wellness...hmmm. At first I thought it was because I am taking my healthy seriously, getting to a naturopath, eliminating foods, changing diet but then I started thinking about being "well with". As a christian I used to find comfort in songs, and I will admit to hearing a song when I decided on the word. Whatever my lot, thou has taught me to say, it is well, it is well with my soul. Well, since I do believe in karma and things happening when they are supposed to happen, I really decided to focus on looking at my choices and my decisions and allowing myself to follow what feels right, rather than what I believe to be right. This is not to say that I feel I deserve bad things, situations or difficult problems, but once they are before me- I have a choice to make it work, find peace within it, be well with it. I still don't have to like it, but I fight myself and others over ideas/thoughts, when I can choose to be well with it. So wellness of body, mind and spirit is my goal for the year. Does that make sense, or is this just a coffee induced rant?

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#27 of 521 Old 01-02-2011, 07:33 AM

Welcome to the thread and welcome back to the thread and welcome everyone to the new year!  Wow, so much energy and "newness"!  :)

Our snow melted since it has been oddly warm the last 2-3 days.  Almost freaky warm.  Today it's very grey, some snow spit with a little dusting on the ground... very "post holiday grim winter" and not "jolly snow fest" if you see what I mean.  LOL

The two yule cards I sent to Canada were returned by the post.  Much apologies... I'll go to the main post office tomorrow and make sure they have everything they need to get through.  I'm not sure what went wrong (I sent them with plenty of postage), but there it is.  So sweet mamas to the north, your cards ARE coming!

I'm soooooo tired.  I love having my bro and SIL here, and the kids love it too, but our routine is shot to heck and back and I'm getting, max, 5 hours of sleep each night.  I didn't get to bed till nearly 1am.  And I haven't been able to work-for-pay.  AND school starts again tomorrow and DH is back at work so ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I'm exhausted while technically on vacation.  Once the "real world" returns tomorrow?  Any ideas for a super energy spell?  Something involving sugar and caffeine maybe?

Tor is right on the edge of some developmental milestone and I need him to get over the hump.  He is getting so unbelievably frustrated... he is biting everything, even himself, and I can tell its frustration.  He'll babble something or point or whatever and then, if we don't understand or can't/wont do what he wants he'll yell and chomp down on whatever he can reach.  Sometimes it's comical (Ro wouldn't give him her toy, he bit her dress, and she dragged him across the floor... kind of like an adult might drag a puppy latched onto their leg?) but I know it's serious to him and, frankly, annoying/painful to everyone.  We don't condone biting, and there's the added stress of having visiting family around.  Almost a 24/7 "lets see how the ap parenting works" thing.  Especially since my mom doesn't like ap and is always "testing" their behavior (and by extension, our parenting).  I know we just have to wait out the developmental issues but dang!  I wish I could help hurrying this along a bit.  Ro has a big bruise on her arm from a chomp and that's not cool.

#28 of 521 Old 01-02-2011, 07:52 AM

Yes, very, very, quick thread :)

wombatclay, I adore the house cleansing ritual! I think I'm nearly ready for something similar, but needless to say it didn't happen yesterday. Instead I packed away all the Christmas decorations. It's much more open feeling in here now. The tree just did not feel right where it was. Which stinks, I like driving up and being able to see it through the window in the front door. It's very pretty. I put the wrong lights on it this year though. 

I have been FINALLY getting around to all that purging and cleaning I wanted to do last year. It's been slow going, only about a month since I really started, but it's obvious. I'm kind of dreading getting back to our schooling routine tomorrow, considering I never get much else done on those days.

And *gulp* I have been seriously considering letting both kids go to school next year. I am very VERY torn about this. On one hand, I know it's a possibility that the big one still doesn't quite "fit" in a public school setting. Which is ok! I do like having my little man home ;) But I also know, my daughter...will probably THRIVE. And then there is the whole "germ-fest" thing and I know my kids do.NOT wash their hands as well as I would like them too. And I just don't deal with illness well.

I am hoping that all the supplements I'm taking for PMDD will help that last one though. I was diagnosed as bipolar type 2 a few years ago...but part of me wonders if it's wrong. And as I wondered I noticed the pattern. I'm happy, easy to live with etc when I'm ovulating and around then. And I'm...a whole 'nother story when I'm preparing to menstruate. It's ugly. But maybe...just maybe if I feel better I'll be able to handle things better.

Anyway, back to kids-school...it's still something dh and I need to talk about, and I need to put as a topic on my meditation list. Our son is finishing up some evaluations this coming weekend, "ADHD" type eval....so, it's possible we'll have something we can work with as far as going back to school, and maybe an IEP to go with it.

In other news, I'm working on my CBE exam and I'm 1/3 of the way through it! I did the easy part first, and now I'm kind of skipping my way around the rest of it...saving the really tough ones for later. Like "How would you teach your students the difference between care providers in an unbiased manner" EEPS! lol

I hope everyone has a great day! I have LOTS of things to do to be ready for school tomorrow. Blessed Be!

~Autumn~   Mama to whistling.gif (2001) and hearts.gif(2005) partners.gif madly in love since '99 
#29 of 521 Old 01-02-2011, 08:06 AM

I do a walkabout cleansing/protecting ritual most new moons, much like the one you describe, Clay.  New moon tomorrow/Tuesday!  I'm sorry you had mail troubles!  I've not gotten some cards from US family that I normally would, and I'm not sure why. Cards are still coming in.  I will keep them posted on my wall until lunar New Year, probably.  They make me happy

Welcome, Sharon71 -- Hello redveg, Autumn, and others!  Glad to see you here!

Liza, I'm sorry you had a bad experience with someone from online :(.  I would be interested to see what the views/posts ratio is for other larger threads.  I am sure that I checked back at least 10-15 times yesterday, and only posted once or twice. I review the new posts to the threads I've subscribed to, then reply, and I check back frequently while I'm composing my reply as new posts get made and I don't have large chunks of time to write a post. .I have my notifications set to local only, or my email would be overwhelmed, so I have to check. And some months, like last month, I've been so busy I didn't get around to posting much, though I *thought* many more posts than I wrote... I'm sure there are some lurkers, but if there are many posters with habits like mine that would account for most of that 133 views.  ETA I also tend to do a couple of  minor edits to my posts within a few minutes of posting them, don't know if that adds to the view count.

I love the description of your newly-organized home, more pantry storage.  I spent a full day cleaning out my pantry and kitchen cupboards last Wednesday - got rid of all plastic bags and put all dry goods in canning jars and bins.  That makes me happy too.

I was up in the night with a sick 4 year old -- I suspect he has strep throat, like the cousins he played with last week- the incubation period is about right.  But to find a medicenter on New Years Weekend? Argh.  Better start checking.

#30 of 521 Old 01-02-2011, 09:50 AM

I too am guilty of checking back at least once sometimes twice a day to try to keep up.  It can be overwhelming to get on in the morning and have 2 or more pages to catch up on, so I try to stay on top of things:)

Much of our snow has melted too Clay, it's odd  here it is January and it looks more like March.  I don't mind it though.  I would love to have a mild winter as far as snowfall goes.  Today is overcast and was raining a bit this morning. 

earth.gif lovin, treehugger.gif  veggie

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page