Question for the Catholics - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 01-02-2011, 08:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

My great grandmother had a stroke last week and has been placed in hospice.  She is a life long Catholic, but has not belonged to a parish in years ( a retired prient has come to visit and administer sacraments).  However, I have not been able to get in touch with him.  I am need to find a priest to perform a funeral mass when she passes (which will be soon).  Can anyone guide me on how to do that?  She has already had last rites at the hospital.  Should I just call the archdiocese?  No one else in the family is Catholic, but I feel stringly that her religious beleifs should be homored, especially in death.

Wife to M , Mommy to DS aka Captain Obvious  (06/06) and DD aka Lissalot  (03/09, anoxic brain injury)
#2 of 7 Old 01-02-2011, 09:12 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Does she still reside in the same area of the last parish she was a member of?  If so, I would call the priest of that parish.  If not, I would call the church office of the parish nearest her and start there.

Lisa   L&D RN mama to DS#1 (4-01) DS#2 (9-03) DD (10-05) vbac.gifX2,  ribbonpb.gif 10-2011

#3 of 7 Old 01-03-2011, 06:02 AM

You might start by explaining the situation to the hospital chaplain & asking for advice ... even if the hospital doesn't have a Catholic chaplain, they should be able to help you out.

I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ. 

Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi 

#4 of 7 Old 01-03-2011, 08:13 AM

I think it is wonderful that you want to honor your great-grandmother's faith. I am sorry to read that her health is failing.

Catholic parishes have geographic boundaries and are obligated to serve Catholics who are living within those boundaries whether that person is a registered parishoner or not.

I suggest you call the nearest parish and talk to the church secretary. This is probably not an uncommon situation and the secretary should be able to help you out.

My thoughts and prayers are with you at this difficult time.

Lolly
Mom to an amazing little guy, age 9 (Autism, Hyperlexia, Dyspraxia, Albinism, Chromosome Microdeletion)

#5 of 7 Old 01-04-2011, 07:37 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

you can call the nearest church or the diocese for help.  I am sure hey would be happy to direct you where you need to go.  Also the hospice should be able to tell you who to call.

:hug

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#6 of 7 Old 01-05-2011, 10:20 AM

My sister and mom found this site useful when planning my father's recent memorial mass: http://www.catholicfunerals.co.nz/httpdocs/index.cfm  . It might help you plan once you are working with a parish.

May you be comforted.

#7 of 7 Old 01-05-2011, 07:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Thank you so much.  I was able to find a priest through the parish area she lives in.  I really appreciate everyone's help & input.

Wife to M , Mommy to DS aka Captain Obvious  (06/06) and DD aka Lissalot  (03/09, anoxic brain injury)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page