Crunchy Christian Mamas in 2011 - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 306 Old 05-25-2011, 03:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Right and at first I was just so confused as to why she said anything b/c I try to nurse modestly anyway b/c I have large breasts and I am pretty sure my pride got in the way since I am such a lactivist. Then I tried to humble myself and be even more discrete and no matter what I seem to do she freaks out. When I am nursing DD it's not when other people are coming in and out it is just 2 volunteers (women) and the 1 y/o's that is it. No one else ever said anything about me nursing her in there so I don't *think* there are special rules I am just not following. I haven't tried completely turning around yet although I have turned to the side facing the wall...

I have a hard time with confrontation and I am really sensitive too so I absolutely do not want this to continue this way.

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

#122 of 306 Old 05-25-2011, 04:36 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)

Sosurreal09- I have been a believer for 33 yrs and I have had to "deal" w/many people in the church. So I know how you feel. I will pray.

Can you talk to the children's pastor about the policy? Not to bring up the situation but to get a real idea of the way the church sees b/f. Do they want you  only in the MOTHERING ROOM?.....just something to think about.

I hope that helps.

#123 of 306 Old 05-25-2011, 02:24 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Could they put a little room divider screen thing, maybe a curtain?  This is what we have at our church.  A rocking chair in a corner and room divider (one is not required to use it but it is there for your convinience.  It is a very public room so having it screened off a little is more modest and will keep baby from getting as distracted.  )    It makes a private space when one is needed and easily folds away.

It does seem like a hassle to walk all the way down to the nursing room since you are just popping int o calm your dd.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#124 of 306 Old 05-27-2011, 10:19 AM

VBS?? Do you only go to "your" church? OR do you have your little ones go to other churches?

Also what are you reading this summer? I just finished:

Facing East

Crazy Love

The Story of the Anabaptist

Looking forward to reading

Jesus of Suburbia

Some more church Fathers

Always read the BIBLE

#125 of 306 Old 05-27-2011, 02:38 PM

I loved Jesus of Suburbia.

Right now I am reading For the Life of the World.  Hands down the best book I have ever read.  I am also reading Orthodoxy and Religion of the Future.  It was written in the '60s so it is kinda wild but also interesting to see how far things have gone since then when he was already disturbed by certain trends.

We only do VBS at our church (if our church does it).  I am very hesitant to let my kids do stuff at other churches.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#126 of 306 Old 05-31-2011, 05:20 PM

Summer plans? So Happpppyyyyyy to see summer this year!!!

#127 of 306 Old 05-31-2011, 06:50 PM

We're just trying to stay cool here... AC went out on the weekend and it's been between 79 (for an hour in the morning) and 93 in the house....! hopefully it will be fixed tomorrow and we can get back to living life.

#128 of 306 Old 05-31-2011, 07:01 PM

*jealous* of your central A/C. We need to buy a window one this year b/c DD can't take the heat...

I was really upset on Memorial Day b/c I wanted to take DD swimming with me and guess what...EVERY single lake, pond, or beach even remotely near me costs money to swim! HOW can they do that? So IDK looks like it may be a rough summer for us. I know God has blessed us so much with a nice apartment that is so affordable but I REALLY miss having a yard...I miss my house and DD's swing, it is so hard living here surrounded by concrete and car-less. We don't even have a park in walking distance. I find myself being kind of depressed about it all lately even though it's nealry been a year.

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

#129 of 306 Old 05-31-2011, 08:35 PM

How much to pools cost in your area.  Here they have discounted season passes.  With medicaid/WIC you can get an all access family pass for $25 and with food stamps you can get one for free. You  may want to call park and rec or the pool office and see if they offer any sort of discount.

#130 of 306 Old 05-31-2011, 08:48 PM

I plan on doing some reading and writing and math work with the kids.   I am leaning twords DS having dyslexia and ADD....so i need to keep him focused this summer.  He's come a long way with his comp and reading skills...I don't want him to lose that.   DD also has a speech delay and rec's services at the school.  So I am planning a curriculm of sorts (wish me luck on this, I may have bitten off more than I can chew!)  that will keep them focused and learning while still enjoying summer.   We'll take lots of trips to the zoo, parks, forest preserves, museums..etc.   We also have a week of VBS planned and family trip to MI.   I just planted a garden too, so we'll take care of that and I really want to make a bean teepee for them!! 

They love the sprinkler, so I have to get a new one.   And the slip and slide they love too!!  I'd love to get a pool but with 3 under 7 yrs, I am nervous about the whole safety of that.   ;)

I actually can't wait for summer!!  I love summer time!!!!

Mommy to 3 gifts from God! 
Nate dog 5/15/04
Lil' G 11/8/07
My Shamrock 3/17/10
ribbonpink.gif
#131 of 306 Old 06-01-2011, 05:15 AM

This summer we are going to.....go to VBS.....college class(5yr old)......summer reading club @ library......OH just where the day takes us. 

Maybe the beach.

#132 of 306 Old 06-01-2011, 05:22 AM

I love the beach I am always in such awe when I see it.

#133 of 306 Old 06-02-2011, 05:49 AM

I can't wait to start thinking about summer plans! Hopefully the ac will be fixed by this evening and we can get back to normal. We haven't been home in 5 days except to sleep.

sosureal-- I hope you find something fun to do with your dd. Do you have any pools close? Wish I had suggestions too.... will pray. It is so hard to live in an apartment with kids. We did that a couple years ago. Isn't it on your apartment complex to replace your AC though?

lilyka-- just want to let you know I haven't forgotten about the baptism convo.... have been going all different directions and still haven't gotten it together on that subject.

#134 of 306 Old 06-02-2011, 06:08 AM

couple questions....

do you mamas highlight or underline in your Bibles?  wondering how you all think about it.

and also wondering what everyone's view is of knowing one's calling.

#135 of 306 Old 06-02-2011, 09:15 AM

I don't underline or highlight. I would have to underline it all.

Our call is to follow Jesus. Jesus said get in the yoke with me.( learn of Him. rest in Him. True knowledge of Him.) He also said pick up your cross and follow Me. If we stay centered in Jesus we are in His will and will know our "calling".

We are part of the body of messiah each with a part to give to the body. That is the way the church works.

sosurreal09 likes this.
#136 of 306 Old 06-02-2011, 09:28 AM

I don't know what my specific question is.....  I guess it has to do too with things that He has put into our personalities, and how to move toward using that for strength (handing it over to God) and not trying to do everything in our own power.  The bigger issue I guess is to trust that God is working everything together for good, dispite our weaknesses, and just wondering if anyone wants to share their experience with that.

And I have been underlining in my Bible, which I like because it helps me find scriptures that I strongly relate to, and when I need a quick shot of strength I can skim through. But the thought occured to me that doing that could maybe cause people to focus too much on certain truths and not others...

#137 of 306 Old 06-02-2011, 11:22 AM

nvm

#138 of 306 Old 06-02-2011, 11:53 AM

We're moving this summer to another city. DH has a great opportunity in a new town so we'll be moving there for about a year before finally moving to the city we want to settle down in. So, I've been going through our stuff and getting rid of things so it's easier to pack up and move.

We have a couple weddings to go to as well. Otherwise, just lots of time enjoying the outdoors, maybe we'll get a kiddie pool for our deck.

E, wife to D, mommy to G (born March 2010). joy.gif

#139 of 306 Old 06-02-2011, 08:51 PM

I used to underline, highlight and make notes.  NIV Study Bible had nothing on me LOL  Just kidding.  I mostly made it easier to find the stuff that really spoke to me.  Now I tend to see the bible as more of a whole so underlining a sentence or two here and there seems odd to me now.  Like I am hacking it to bits.  Interpreting those bits outside of the whole.  

As for callings...I don;t really believe in callings.  I believe in obedience and duty and submission to God.  I believe everyones calling is to walk the path of salvation.  i think people really get attached  what they perceive as a calling when really what they are attached to is self love or vanity or self love or laziness.  We see something shiny or fun and our desire gets fixated on it.  We assume it is a calling.  And since it is a calling we are able to justify sinful attitudes to pursue it.  

#140 of 306 Old 06-03-2011, 05:18 AM - Thread Starter

One of my Bibles has my favorite verses listed on one of the blank "cover" pages...I don't underline in it. 

I think I understand what you're saying about a calling...like. what we're supposed to do with our lives? I mean, I know we're supposed to walk with Christ...but what ministry am I supposed to go into? Should I be a Bible Study Leader? Youth Leader? Prayer Warrior? Should I be a teacher? A SAHM? Etc... is that what you mean?

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#141 of 306 Old 06-03-2011, 06:10 AM

Well certain things are becoming more clear to me as I just walk the path of salvation. I don't think I'm supposed to homeschool my kids anymore, where I used to really want to do that. But my own thing that I'm struggling to figure out is what I am supposed to do with these interests. So far I think I've been along the lines of what lilyka said... where I see something in my personality or interests and pursue it, and it's not having results (some of the time they are) that are consistent with the fruits of righteousness. So, ... I feel like the Lord put these things into my person for a reason. It definitely is something that sets me apart so it seems like He would put it there so He could use it.

As to a calling for something more outside myself... I'm curious to know yalls opinions on that too. As in jobs, or starting a bussiness, or leading studies. I know it's all just obeying the Holy Spirit when He speaks to us... I guess I just feel off track. Maybe I should fast

#142 of 306 Old 06-03-2011, 06:17 AM

Why not just pray for wisdom and clarification?

I feel like God wants me to be a SAHM. I am not 100% on homeschooling yet, but when it is nearing I will pray for wisdom. Right now I feel like God is telling me to learn how to humble myself so I have been working on that (especially with DH). I have always been very out spoken and opinionated. I am working on not judging people and being more submissive.

The other day I got in a tiff with DH and felt overwhelmed and started yelling so I stopped. I had an internal struggle and rebuked satan in the name of Jesus and I felt the holy spirit take over. It instantly calmed me and I apologized to DH.

#143 of 306 Old 06-03-2011, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosurreal09 View Post

Why not just pray for wisdom and clarification?

This is what I need to do. I am so off-track lately and having so much trouble.  I need to fast and pray. I wish so badly that I had Christian women IRL to talk to.

#144 of 306 Old 06-03-2011, 02:55 PM

I will pray that you find a great believer to be friends with. It is hard to feel along in faith. But you are never alone because you have the Holy Spirit that points to Jesus living inside of you.

#145 of 306 Old 06-03-2011, 03:32 PM

I think it is huge that you are willing to let go of homeschooling (not because I think homeschooling bad.  I taught mine at home for 6 years until I was forced to quit) but because it shows an openness to God over your own desires.  You were willing to do it you are willing to drop it.  It is an offering to God when we are flexible to where he is leading us. 

#146 of 306 Old 06-04-2011, 07:37 PM

Thank you Nazsmum. 

The past couple days have been really trying. We just walked into a new situation for our lives that we knew in advance would be really challenging. Regardless I know the Lord is using the challenges to mold and shape and I just need to trust Him.

#147 of 306 Old 06-08-2011, 04:28 PM

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::URGENT PRAYER REQUEST:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

DH was interrogated and wrongfully accused of stealing and selling appliances under the table. We are terrified he may get fired or something and we only live off of his income which is modest so we literally could not live off of unemployment (which he won't get if he gets fired anyway)

Please pray that DH doesn't lose his job and there are no adverse effects from this false accusation. They already fired someone else there!

#148 of 306 Old 06-08-2011, 04:36 PM

Will pray

#149 of 306 Old 06-08-2011, 06:07 PM

Oh no!!!  I am praying.  I know how badly false accusations can hurt families :-(

#150 of 306 Old 06-09-2011, 09:35 AM

SOSURREAL09-How is it going?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page