Crunchy Christian Mamas in 2011 - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#181 of 306 Old 07-18-2011, 08:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyka View Post

The economy sucks.  I am betting a lot of people either have had to take a job, don't have  the money to drive back and forth plus the fee to go (most around here charge about $20 to $50 which is a bargin but is still expensive especially if you have three or four kids.)  And when it cost people are less inclined to have their children make the rounds all summer.  (when mine were little several moms had them in VBS almost every week of the summer at different churches.  It was free and she got a break and her kids got structured programming.) Also so many are becoming such huge productions that it is hard for families to participate.    

I can see it being the economy...but I also know that in our church the children are SOOOOO over scheduled (ballet, church camps, swimming, etc....) that they pretty much already have a weekly schedule of events and scheduling in a week of missing those events hasn't worked for them - they just weren't interested...as they were already over booked.

I think another issue may be duration of VBS.  I know the one up the road from us had their VBS from 9 to noon.  We do our's in the evenings.  I don't think either of those times are ideal for getting the families that Lilyka talked about...or like my family when I was a child - my mom was thrilled to send us to VBS because that was a week she didn't have to pay for day care - but they were all day VBS programs.

Finally among a large segment of evangelical homeschooling Christians there is a growing bias against anything age-segregated in the church (Sunday School, VBS, Youth Groups, etc..) although I can't imagine that's having a big effect on VBS yet...but as it grows I think we'll see churches adopting a different approach to VBS.

Mrs. S - Crunchy child of The King, Wife to my best friend, and Mama to my many blessings.

#182 of 306 Old 07-18-2011, 08:37 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosurreal09 View Post

Wow our church is HUGE in the summer we probably only have 1,000 people but regularly we have at least 2,500-3,000 I would estimate (without kids included). We have seats everywhere and two floor of them and all seats going down the sides too, like a stadium or an opera house.

Do you have a HUGE tune out for VBS?

#183 of 306 Old 07-18-2011, 10:49 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

When I was growing up, VBS at our church was enormous.  Hundreds of kids, many from the neighborhood who didn't actually attend our church.  But it was a different era.  Not as many moms worked, so it wasn't a big deal to have to pick up your child before lunch.  It was more seen as a week with having a big break in the morning!  Also, we didn't have nearly as many activities that we were involved in in the summer.  Maybe some swim lessons and softball, but that was it. 

Elizabeth - Doing life with Scott partners.gif

SAHM to Evelyn - my crazy little Celiac (4) energy.gif Annabelle (2)  love.gif and Abraham (born 6/20) buddamomimg1.png
adoptionheart-1.gif  Follow our journey  mdcblog5.gif

#184 of 306 Old 07-18-2011, 11:17 AM

IDK I am not involved in it b/c DD is too little. I would hope so....it cost $5 per kid

I do know the pastor was frustrated this past Sun. b/c of the size of our church but people not tithing enough. They need a lot more money for our mission to Africa in a few weeks. We have been doing so much over there. We even built a school for the kids and a science center. It certainly is not cheap, but one of the things I really love about our church is that the money you give really helps a lot of people in all different countries and even the US lol the church is in a REALLY rough neighborhood and we help out the community a ton. It is hard though b/c we are really low income and I try to give the money and things I can to the church.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazsmum View Post

Do you have a HUGE tune out for VBS?

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

#185 of 306 Old 07-18-2011, 11:32 AM

I know that things are different. I just see a very BIG change this year. That is sad to me. Are we missing a whole Gen. of children for the gospel? If so my question is do we change? Do we stop VBS and do something different? BUT then again I see the whole Body of Messiah going away from the ways of Jesus and his commandments.

I know that it is a big question with not to many answers.....We need John the Baptist again!

#186 of 306 Old 07-18-2011, 11:37 AM

This is an organization for kids that is AMAZING! They cam to our church and they just blew me away! I think everyone was crying. I have NEVER seen young people be so passionate about God, ever!

http://www.ywam.org/

They are everywhere.

Even just typing that I felt the spirit all through me love.gif

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

#187 of 306 Old 07-18-2011, 11:41 AM

My friend is part of YWAM. He is a staff member in Romania. I want on a short trip with them too. They are the best. So nice to know that you like them.

#188 of 306 Old 07-18-2011, 06:13 PM

Who ever pointed out activities made a good point.  My kids do have a lot going on.  Summer band and choir and honestly, I would rather them do that than go to a guest church.  

Also an all day program...yeah that would draw some kids!!!  Especially if it was in the free to $10 range.

Also I am not a fan of the age segregation (but it is not what stops me from sending my kids to other peoples VBS).  At least not on the micro levels you see in some churches (I was at  church once that divided them up by birth month/year.  So all the kids born during  Jan/Feb 2000 were a class and all the kids march/april 2000 were a class.  NUTS!!  and there was still about 10 kids in each class.)  

I don't think VBS attendance being down is any indication that kids are not being reached.  While I think kids have a good time, and values are reinforced, I don't think anyone will be slipping through the cracks and falling into hell because they didn't come sing songs at VBS.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#189 of 306 Old 07-19-2011, 03:35 AM

The last thing that I will say.....Yes, VBS is not going to make or break a child salvation!!! But in my experence some of the children that go to VBS don't have any other church. Some only go to VBS. I don't know maybe that is just local to my area? Also I think about reaching children alot. I was saved at 4yrs so I want to see children reached with Jesus as much as adults.

#190 of 306 Old 07-20-2011, 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lilyka View Post

PS -  where are you in TX.  If you live anywhere near my family we should totally meet up the next time i am down there.

I live in Austin. If you're ever down this way, I'd love to meet you!

#191 of 306 Old 07-25-2011, 01:00 PM

Jumping in here to say hi!!!

My name is Echo, I'm from Maryland and I have two kiddos -- Riley, 6 and Harry,4 and another boy due in December :) We attend a community church (although it's Southern Baptist in doctrine) and we really love it.. anyway hi!

creative crunchy christian wife to J stillheart.gif, Mama to three boys and one baby on the way!  chicken3.gif  doula in training love.gif

#192 of 306 Old 07-25-2011, 03:42 PM

mamaecho-Hi!!! Nice to meet you.

#193 of 306 Old 07-28-2011, 10:45 AM

Mid-summer.....My 2 1/2 year old gave up his nap and it is making me nuts!!!! Anyway how are things going with you gals????

I know that almost no one is around here anymore.....MDC is so different. I miss the old MDCmecry.gif

#194 of 306 Old 07-28-2011, 02:00 PM

I am around still.  i have just been on vacation.  Went down an alpine slide and crashed.  sprained my left wrist and took a large chunk of skin off my right arm.  But i saved the video camera and managed catch everything on video!  awesome.  I leave for a retreat at a monastery tomorrow morning.  I think that will be nice. i have never been to a monastery before.

my kids go back to school in two weeks.  i can't believe it.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#195 of 306 Old 07-28-2011, 03:13 PM

WOW! That sounds painful!

Please tell me about the monastery. I would love to hear about it. How long is the reteat? Are you taking your girls?

Next spring I want to go to a outdoor reteat here in NJ. I hope that I will be able to go. 

#196 of 306 Old 07-28-2011, 05:21 PM

OUCH!!! I'm glad you are okay!!!

A spiritual retreat sounds soo perfect. I would love to do that someday.

I'm just dealing with pregnancy and feeling tired and hot... all the time! lol I

creative crunchy christian wife to J stillheart.gif, Mama to three boys and one baby on the way!  chicken3.gif  doula in training love.gif

#197 of 306 Old 07-28-2011, 08:35 PM

I do not have a lot of details about the trip (they are so good to me.  Said show up here at this time and we will bring you back at this time.  They took care of all the details.  )  but we will be gone from Fri.-Sun.  I can't bring the girls as they are with their dad this weekend.  But my new job will allow me to take them up there some time soon.  It is nothing short of a miracle that i am able to go.  I never ever ever get a weekend off and this retreat just happened to fall on my vacation time.  I am really excited.  I have never been to a monastery before. They are such an important part of our community.  

I think is the one we are staying at http://www.hellenicheartbeat.com/monastery/

I will let you know how it goes.

And with that I should get packed and showered and off to bed.  We leave at 6AM.

#198 of 306 Old 07-29-2011, 02:59 AM

May you grow in the Grace. I'm going to pray that you meet Jesus in a very powerful way.

#199 of 306 Old 08-01-2011, 03:48 PM

the retreat was wonderful!  The monastery was so beautiful and peaceful.  The nuns and monks were so sweet.  We met the elders at both (which i guess does not happen often).  Week day liturgy was at 4:30 which sounds brutal but it was actually a beautiful way to greet the sunrise.  They had the most amazing church bells.  I could stay there for months.   I can't wait to take my kids out.

#200 of 306 Old 08-01-2011, 05:50 PM

sounds wonderful!!!

#201 of 306 Old 08-03-2011, 04:05 PM

Hey! I was thinking about sharing my faith. So I was thinking about doing RANDOM ACTS OF LOVE. Any ideas?

#202 of 306 Old 08-06-2011, 07:48 AM

Maybe pay for the person behind you in line at starbucks/somewhere else? our local radio station had little things you could print out saying something about the random act of love and something about Christ.

#203 of 306 Old 08-11-2011, 12:58 PM

http://www.helpothers.org/ideas.php?op=deck-ideas#clubs
http://www.randomactsofkindness.org/Kindness-Ideas/Browse/
http://www.servantevangelism.com/matrix/matrix.htm
http://www.daretobeanangel.com/tasklist.php

Wife to DH(10/02) Mom to DD1('03), angel1.gif('04), DS1('05), DD2('07), DS2('08), DD3('10) angel1.gif(08/11), angel1.gif (09/11). We follow Jesus, praying.gif, quiverful, homeschool.gif,cd.gif ,winner.jpg,familybed1.gif,femalesling.GIF, and we are a food allergic family.

#204 of 306 Old 08-11-2011, 06:01 PM

Thanks! That is great.

#205 of 306 Old 08-14-2011, 12:50 PM

I saw this on a friends facebook page and thought I would share it here.  He has a beautiful way with words and i thought this was just said so amazingly well.  He is speaking to Orthodox mothers but it really is applicable to all Christian  mothers.  

‎"Changing the world one diaper at a time is as valuable and as powerful as changing the entire cosmos with a cosmic bulldozer! The prayer of that one child if raised in Christ with great love can change our entire human dynamic for eternal good! Saints are what we need in our Orthodox Christian households not social engineering, gadgets and gizmos or political propaganda and sloganeering foisted upon us as 'parenting.'  Guilt offerings for parental absence does not parenting make.  We need authentic Christian love in our homes and the Holy Spirit will do all the rest."  Hieromonk Joshua +

#206 of 306 Old 09-01-2011, 12:08 PM

I hate Sept.

Hope is all is well. Having plumbing problem....just another reason to hate Sept.

#207 of 306 Old 09-01-2011, 05:41 PM

hug2.gif

(and I don't mess with smilies for just anyone, missy)

I hope your september starts looking up.

#208 of 306 Old 09-02-2011, 05:59 AM

Thanks!

#209 of 306 Old 09-10-2011, 10:45 AM

Hey ladies

I know I haven't been a part of this group for long, but I have a prayer request. My husband has his next PET scan on Sept 20th. I'm freaking out about it.. just the thought of cancer scares me to death.. so if you gals could pray for a healthy scan and for my emotional well being I'd really appreciate it.

#210 of 306 Old 09-10-2011, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaecho View Post

Hey ladies

I know I haven't been a part of this group for long, but I have a prayer request. My husband has his next PET scan on Sept 20th. I'm freaking out about it.. just the thought of cancer scares me to death.. so if you gals could pray for a healthy scan and for my emotional well being I'd really appreciate it.

There's no length of membership requirement for prayer requests.  :)  Does he have a history of cancer?  I'm sure that's really stressful to deal with and think about while pregnant! 

Elizabeth - Doing life with Scott partners.gif

SAHM to Evelyn - my crazy little Celiac (4) energy.gif Annabelle (2)  love.gif and Abraham (born 6/20) buddamomimg1.png
adoptionheart-1.gif  Follow our journey  mdcblog5.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page