Crunchy Christian Mamas in 2011 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 306 Old 01-13-2011, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Let's chat here!

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#2 of 306 Old 01-14-2011, 05:19 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)

Congrads on the NEW BABY!!!! How was the delivery? B/F going well?

What would you like to talk about? I'm still looking for a church.....you?

#3 of 306 Old 01-14-2011, 08:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazsmum View Post

Congrads on the NEW BABY!!!! How was the delivery? B/F going well?

What would you like to talk about? I'm still looking for a church.....you?

The delivery was wonderful! It was my first homebirth. I'm SO glad I got to do it that way! BF is going well. We might have to clip his tongue-tie...but it seems to be getting better. I have an appt tomorrow so we'll see.

I think we found a church...we haven't been since the Sunday we visited because I gave birth the next Sunday and this previous Sunday DS1 still had sick symptoms (cough and runny nose) I refuse to send him to nursery when he seems sick...even if I'm sure he's not contagious. I'd be mad if I sent my healthy son in with a sick kid...just a personal thing.

This year I'm striving to spend more time with God. I only started really spending time in His Word at the end of last year...

Kas (24), Helpmeet to Stefan (25), Mom to Franklin Gaudelio 4/15/09, Jonathan Boswell 1/2/11
#4 of 306 Old 01-14-2011, 04:10 PM

We have been going to one church that my husband likes. The pastor is coming over tomorrow. That is going be "fun". I'm not that in love the church. So we will see.

I'm studying Jesus and His relationship with women. Genifer had me thinking. It has been interesting. I found a few things that the Lord has been showing me.

Anyway I will tell you about the pastor's vist. God Bless and keep your son!!!! So happy to hear that everything went well.

#5 of 306 Old 01-14-2011, 07:27 PM

don't know how crunchy I am...but I'm jumpin' in!

I chose my "word" to sum up the year 2011...what I'm striving for and focusing on.  My word for this year is Grace.  His and mine :)  Spending more time in quiet reflection, love and prayer. 

#6 of 306 Old 01-15-2011, 07:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panserbjorne View Post

I chose my "word" to sum up the year 2011...what I'm striving for and focusing on.  My word for this year is Grace.  His and mine :)  Spending more time in quiet reflection, love and prayer. 

I'm not all THAT "crunchy"....more like crispy :) So you're in good company.

My word for this year is Organize. My home, my schedule, my thoughts, etc... Do you follow the "Women Living Well" blog? That's where I got the idea to do a word for the year.

#7 of 306 Old 01-15-2011, 02:17 PM

I don't!  I started after reading Eat Pray Love.  She talks about places having words which then evolved to people and then years.  I think my first word of the year was in 2008?  I love it.  It really helps me keep my focus.

#8 of 306 Old 01-18-2011, 04:31 AM

I hope everyone is well today. The pastor/wife they are very nice. But I still don't like the church.

Let me ask this why do you bcome a member of your church???

#9 of 306 Old 01-18-2011, 04:44 AM

honestly I have a similar situation.  I don't love my church, but I'm hanging in there because I see potential.  It just needs some new folks as so many of them are quite elderly, ornery and set in their ways.  I would change in a heartbeat if I didn't have loyalty issues with the pastor.  I'm there for him.

#10 of 306 Old 01-18-2011, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFWife View Post

The delivery was wonderful! It was my first homebirth. I'm SO glad I got to do it that way! BF is going well. We might have to clip his tongue-tie...but it seems to be getting better. I have an appt tomorrow so we'll see.

Congrats on the new baby!

Quote:

I'm studying Jesus and His relationship with women. Genifer had me thinking. It has been interesting. I found a few things that the Lord has been showing me.

I'd love to hear more about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panserbjorne View Post

My word is JOY.

Quote:

I hope everyone is well today. The pastor/wife they are very nice. But I still don't like the church.

I've been involved in a church for three years now, and we are not members. For us, it's more about housing instability. We're renters, and we've lived four different places in the last four years. I think joining a church is sort of like marriage - a huge huge huge commitment - and I'm not in a place where I can make that kind of commitment to a church yet.

Does anyone here celebrate Candlemas? We celebrate it as a nature holiday, but I really struggle with digging it as a Christian holiday. I'd love to hear about what it means to some of you, if you celebrate.

Partner to Rbikenew.gif ('03); Parent to T read.gif('07), Aviolin.gif ('10), and E ecbaby2.gif ('13)

femalesling.GIFhomeschool.gifchicken3.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif 

#11 of 306 Old 01-18-2011, 06:20 AM

Quote:

I missed this before.  Looking at this was precisely what brought me back to the church.  I struggled literally my whole life and railed against religion.  I knew it held so much for me, but it just didn't resonate at all.  It was reading a beautiful fictional work that allowed me to open my eyes and heart.  I then started delving deeper and found what I had been looking for my whole life. 

#12 of 306 Old 01-18-2011, 10:21 AM

Just wanted to jump in and say HELLO!  I just started introducing myself to these forums and subscribed to this one, so I'm hoping to get to know some of you better!  I'm a FTM, SAHM, and DS is almost 6 months.  Still feeling my way around this site but enjoying it so far!

#13 of 306 Old 01-20-2011, 05:12 AM

Well I have been thinking about Mary for one. Luke 10:38-42 She is sitting at his feet. She was making a radical statment, for women were not suppose "do that". She was acting like a disciple in training. Jesus did not make her move. He tells her sister Miryam has chosen the right thing, and it won't be taken away from her (Luke 10:42) I know that it OK for me to learn at Jesus' feet. What a COOL thing.

#14 of 306 Old 01-21-2011, 02:35 PM

Hi-

I am new around here. Looking for a Christian thread, I guess this is it. smile.gif  I found a wonderful non-denominational church about a year and half ago. I recently started volunteering in the office once a week and getting more involved. I was raised going to church, but never cared for it much and stopped going after I turned 18. I didn't realize church didn't have to be boring until I found this one. Looking forward to getting to know some like-minded mama's. I am a WAHM with 2 girls, ages 4 and 6.

Marcy, WAHM to Alyssa (2/4/04) and Kaitlyn (6/5/06) plus cat.gifcat.gifdog2.gifdog2.gif
#15 of 306 Old 01-21-2011, 11:30 PM

Hi ladies!

Unfortunately, we have been in our town for 2 yrs and never have found a church home. DH and I come from very different church backgrounds..he was raised Church of Christ, I was raised Methodist, very conservative Methodist at that. Before we moved out here we did have an amazing church, and it has been hard to hold a candle to it. Now, we are probably about to move again. So, it is hard to be motivated to try any more churches, especially since we have pretty much gone to every single one in town and never found a good fit.

I am a SAHM to a 3.5 yr old boy who makes me crazy happy : ) and we are hoping and praying for more babies.

I LOVE the idea of a word for the year. The past 2 yrs have been extremely difficult, physically, emotionally, financially, and at times spiritually..and 2011 is going to be a year of change, hopefully in all of those areas, but even if it isn't, I want to let the Lord bring me the peace to be calm. So, I'm not sure if I want my word to be CHANGE or Peace..I need 2 words LOL

That is very interesting about Mary at Jesus' feet. I do think Jesus showed us that women are very important, even though they weren't considered to be in His days on earth.

Is anybody reading any good Bible related books/studies?

Also, AFwife..congrats on the new baby!!!

#16 of 306 Old 01-22-2011, 04:24 AM

no bible studying, but I am reading more and more to get me into a distinct comfort zone with regards to religion/spirituality.  I am also preparing a talk for the church on the healing power of prayer, where science and spirituality meet.  I'm looking at what happens physiologically in your body when you pray, how the systems respond.  I'm feeling oddly nervous about this.  I love lecturing and facilitating discussion, but this is such a powerful topic for me that I have a lot of apprehension and self confidence issues.  Baring my soul in front of people is always hard for me.

#17 of 306 Old 01-22-2011, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmom View Post

Hi ladies!

Unfortunately, we have been in our town for 2 yrs and never have found a church home. DH and I come from very different church backgrounds..he was raised Church of Christ, I was raised Methodist, very conservative Methodist at that. Before we moved out here we did have an amazing church, and it has been hard to hold a candle to it. Now, we are probably about to move again. So, it is hard to be motivated to try any more churches, especially since we have pretty much gone to every single one in town and never found a good fit.

I am a SAHM to a 3.5 yr old boy who makes me crazy happy : ) and we are hoping and praying for more babies.

I LOVE the idea of a word for the year. The past 2 yrs have been extremely difficult, physically, emotionally, financially, and at times spiritually..and 2011 is going to be a year of change, hopefully in all of those areas, but even if it isn't, I want to let the Lord bring me the peace to be calm. So, I'm not sure if I want my word to be CHANGE or Peace..I need 2 words LOL

That is very interesting about Mary at Jesus' feet. I do think Jesus showed us that women are very important, even though they weren't considered to be in His days on earth.

Is anybody reading any good Bible related books/studies?

Also, AFwife..congrats on the new baby!!!

Well for me I listen to my bible studies(I have a favorite pastor) or I will just come up with a question and then look things up and study it out. I just finished a long study of the New Covenant. Then moved on to the fulfillment of the Temple in the New Covenant. Now I doing 2 studies at the same time. 1. Jesus and women 2. What Jesus had to say about pray(on tape).

I know that it sounds like a lot but it is not. The one about the women the Lord just shows me as I go about my other study. Pray is well pray and it is good to look at what the Lord tells about it.

#18 of 306 Old 01-22-2011, 05:38 PM - Thread Starter

I'm currently doing a study on the Book of James with this group: http://www.goodmorninggirls.org/

#19 of 306 Old 01-23-2011, 07:49 AM

AFWife, Who is she? What does she believe?

#20 of 306 Old 01-23-2011, 08:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

AFWife, Who is she? What does she believe?

I've never really gotten into it. Mostly it's an on your own kind of thing. They just offer the "this verse this day" thing and recommend you use the SOAP method in your journaling. (Scripture Observation Application Prayer)

#21 of 306 Old 01-24-2011, 06:54 AM

My church is Baptist.  I want to do a bible study but don't know which one yet.  I used to do Beth Moore studies at my old church but this church doesn't do them. 

#22 of 306 Old 01-24-2011, 07:00 AM - Thread Starter

I've never done a Beth Moore study but I've heard she's amazing!

Question: How do y'all feel about Christian concerts? DH and I were talking about it last night and we've both been to a few where it's like "Who are you here to celebrate?" I've been to a couple that were all about the *show* and at least one alternative Christian concert where we couldn't UNDERSTAND the lyrics! What's the point of praising God if we don't know what you're saying?

#23 of 306 Old 01-24-2011, 07:18 AM

I think, for me, it depends on the music - if you can understand what it being sung and if it is not unbiblical.  For example, I really like Casting Crowns.   If you can't understand it, then you don't know if its unbiblical or not.  That being said, I also like the old hymns,etc.  I would go to a concert of just about any type of Christian music as long as you can understand what it being sung and if it is not unbiblical.  Except probably rap.  I just don't like rap - I lean more towards country in my non-Christian listening so I just don't like the rap sound as a personal preference.  I don't really go to concerts though because there never seem to be any around here except in summer - seem to always be outside concerts -  when its 100 degrees and I just can't handle the heat.  LOL.

#24 of 306 Old 01-24-2011, 02:28 PM

I want to join in! I posted in the christian chat thread awhile ago. To update, DH took a senior associate position at a friend's church and we move this weekend! We're very excited to be back in a church that's going somewhere. The past almost three years have been very disappointing and lacking in ministry opportunities. It'll be great to be near such good friends as well. It's only a two hour move but it feels so freeing! joy.gifjoy.gifjoy.gif
AFWife likes this.

E, wife to D, mommy to G (born March 2010). joy.gif

#25 of 306 Old 01-26-2011, 05:58 PM

Ooh... I'm glad I found you.  I have been a member on MDC for a while, but I don't check the boards regularly anymore...but would love to visit with more Crunchy Christian mamas!

We worship in a church of Christ - *LOVE* the doctrine...don't like some of the traditions.  After reading Crazy Love and Radical last year ... well, they just resonated with what I've been feeling...about there being more to my walk with Christ than what I've been experiencing.  So...the hubby and I are always looking to deepen our walk with the Lord and have really felt blessed with that.  What I REALLY want right now is a mama's Bible study.  There's a study at our church but it's mostly older women and I suspect that me and the gang would really wreck the party.  :)  I would love a study that encourages and welcomes mothers with children (in tow - not in a nursery)! 

Mrs. S - Crunchy child of The King, Wife to my best friend, and Mama to my many blessings.

#26 of 306 Old 01-26-2011, 06:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Clearly, given my screen name, this is apparently a thread where I belong.  lol.gif

Quote:

For us it was a big step.  We've lived in KC for 2 years now and just became members of our church a couple months ago.  For us it was because we absolutely love our church.  I have never in my life wanted to go to church every Sunday the way that I do right now.  I seriously hate having to miss.  I see God working in such amazing ways both in my own heart and life and through the church in the community.  Becoming members is a way that we are partnering with the church in what they are doing and a way of showing our commitment to the ministry there.

If you are looking for a study that will rock your world, look into "Live A Praying Life" by Jennifer Kennedy Dean.  It's seriously been revolutionary for my prayer life and I've never been much of a pray-er or felt like I was "good" at praying. 

I love the idea of a word for the year....  I'll have to think on it for a while though.  The first ones that come to my head are prayer, surrender, grace, and gospel.  Definitely something to think about.

Elizabeth - Doing life with Scott partners.gif

SAHM to Evelyn - my crazy little Celiac (4) energy.gif Annabelle (2)  love.gif and Abraham (born 6/20) buddamomimg1.png
adoptionheart-1.gif  Follow our journey  mdcblog5.gif

#27 of 306 Old 01-27-2011, 09:49 AM

Hi all! I wanted to offer some thoughts on the question about Christian concerts. I do think it definitely falls into the category of being right for some and wrong for others, sort of the "meat sacrificed to idols" type of thing discussed in I Corinthians and Romans. I understand how it could be considered wrong for the lyrics to not be understandable, but to offer another perspective, what about instrumental music written for the glory of God? Is music only God-honoring if there are clear words talking about God, and if not, it's necessarily "un-Christian"? What about classical music written by Christian composers? So that's just something to chew on about the lyrics thing. As for concerts that seem to be just for show and not for worship, I totally get that sentiment, and my DH and I have lost much interest in concerts that are seemingly more about drawing attention to the artist rather than the Lord, but at the same time, we all have to be careful about judging the hearts of the artists. There's a guy who leads worship at my church sometimes who's even a bit like this too, and I really have to struggle against judging his heart based on the way he leads worship, which seems more "concerty" than "worshippy". We can choose for our own reasons to not prefer certain artists, whether for the showy feel of their concerts or otherwise, but we just need to all be careful to concern ourselves less with whether others are truly worshiping and rather whether *we* are truly worshiping. I don't know that anyone could offer a sound argument from scripture proving that it was wrong to go to Christian concerts based on things like this, so like I said before, I think it's a matter of conscience and conviction...if you feel like you're doing the wrong thing by going, then please, don't go. Beyond that, we just need to concern ourselves with our own walk and not get too bogged down in that of others. That's my two cents. :)

#28 of 306 Old 01-27-2011, 05:19 PM

I had a good friend in a very popular Christian Rock Band.....I really never could get into christian rock music.....BUT we talked about this one time. The way that I see "christian rock" is it is entertainment. That is it no more no less. Worship is worship. Yes you can worship with any "kind" of music and you can worship in many different ways......BUT a rock concert is just a concert.

#29 of 306 Old 01-27-2011, 05:56 PM

My take on the understandability goes along with what MRSJPS says - its not about judging them its being sure of what I am doing and how I am worshipping.  If I don't know what is being sung how can I be sure I am not dishonoring God?  I do like Christian rock, for example Skillet but no Skillet song I have heard (haven't heard them all though) yet sounds like worship but most of Casting Crowns does.  It varies by group and by song within each group but for me, if I don' t know what I am singing or humming along to then I don't feel confident I am doing the right thing. 

#30 of 306 Old 01-28-2011, 10:19 PM

Hmm..Christian concerts..I think it would depend on the group. I don't know if I would feel it being super worshipfull though. I do like Jars of Clay, at least their older stuff, and I think I could see them. But it would still be just a concert I think. There are some Christian artists out there, where I enjoy some of their music but don't necessarily see them as worship at all. For example, Toby Mac. He has some catchy songs. He has some that have a great message too. But then he has others that really seem self-promoting to me and I realllllly dislike that, because to me that is very sinful and shouldn't have a place in Christian music. But again, I do think for the most part, it's entertainment.

FWIW, I am not fond of feeling like I am at a concert when I am in church. I prefer older hymns or sometimes choruses but not a band. Piano and organ I really love though. Especially a good pipe organ!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page