Buddhist Tribe :) - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 124 Old 03-08-2011, 10:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

If you have  Itunes, click on podcasts in the beginning of your library and you can find a world of interesting things.. I just searched "Buddhism" and found some free ones, ie Buddhist Geeks. I am not necessarily advocating their podcast I don't know much about it really, I just heard the one with Mama Zen and thought it was inspiring. We are all new at podcasts so don't be hard on yourself about not knowing that stuff Kythe. I just discovered them last year and have really only enjoyed Dan Savage (yes I admit it) and some NPR live concert series stuff. But there is so much out there.

Kythe before my son was born my Dh and I took a trip to Colorado to an amazing Tibetan Buddhist community (mentioned in earlier comment) and learned a Prajna Paramitra practice. The Heart Sutra is is very special to me for many reasons. I too need could use to practice it more. Gate Gate Para Gate Para Sum Gate Bodhisatva. And yet that is the practice of being a mother eh.. Not enough cushion time.

So here is a question that is coming up for me with everyone talking about Meditation and having my own confusing and sometimes clarifying experiences with it for the last 16 years, I am wondering if anyone wants to speak on what Meditation means for them personally. I would like to hear anything that comes up for you, or your training and especially your process. Thanks for sharing Kythe  your comment got me thinking about this.

Self employed 37 year old lady.gifMother of one 4 year old super herosuperhero.gifand wife to a lovely DH malesling.GIF who is my hero. Its been a long run but I am pregnant with #21sttri.gif due 10/10/14. goorganic.jpgnovaxnocirc.gifbftoddler.gifHere we go again....
#62 of 124 Old 03-09-2011, 09:21 AM

My daughter would quietly watch me meditate and started copying me when she was about 2 so I explained to her what I was doing.  I often find her in our meditation room now at almost 6 meditating on her own. Read the book "Baby Buddhas" it is a great resource for teaching children. 

I use Mala Beads.  I use them for keeping count of my mantras.  I just got my daughter her first pair.  She doesn't actually use them yet.  She just holds them while meditating.

enjoythesilence likes this.

Me namaste.gif, DH teapot2.GIFmarried 24 yrs.,DD #1 treehugger.gif(89), DD #2 blahblah.gif(91), DD #3 weadopted.gifafro.jpg(05), and DD #4 baby.gif (6/11/11)

#63 of 124 Old 03-09-2011, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddhamom View Post

My daughter would quietly watch me meditate and started copying me when she was about 2 so I explained to her what I was doing.  I often find her in our meditation room now at almost 6 meditating on her own. Read the book "Baby Buddhas" it is a great resource for teaching children. 

I use Mala Beads.  I use them for keeping count of my mantras.  I just got my daughter her first pair.  She doesn't actually use them yet.  She just holds them while meditating.

That is so cute! And so reassuring!!

Novel writing student Mama to ds (8y) and new DD 1-13-10.

#64 of 124 Old 03-10-2011, 05:14 PM

Thanks so much for the book recommendation!

#65 of 124 Old 03-11-2011, 10:49 AM

I recently treated myself to the current issue of Buddhadharma magazine and have found it to be a good issue.  I especially liked this article, Krispy Kreme Mind, on working with desires: http://bdtest1.squarespace.com/web-archive/2011/2/1/krispy-kreme-mind.html

DH is Christian so he's in the midst of Lent so I kind of tag along and use the period of time for my own practice.  So, for "Lent", I'm concentrating on right speech.  I'm trying to evaluate everything I'm about to say on whether it is true, helpful and kind.  Have to admit, a lot of it is not so I'm sure it will be a fruitful practice.  

I was reading my magazine the other day when DD (she's 3) and I were having some quiet time and she was asking me about the pictures.  She tells me that she wants to be someone who meditates but is not a Buddhist. She seemed happy when I told her that was entirely possible.  I've tried introducing the idea of meditation to her but she's not really into doing it herself.  We have the book Moody Cow Meditates and have made a "mind jar" for her (it's sparkles in a thickened liquid that she can watch settle as her mind settles---it's in the book), and she likes to ring my chime but that's about it so far.  

Mama to DD (06/30/07).
#66 of 124 Old 04-04-2011, 06:47 PM

Bows to everyone.  Thanks for starting this thread up again.  I practiced Buddhism in the soto zen tradition long before having my daughter, and really have cut down on my formal practice in the last 7 years.  But still, the bodhisattva vow is at the heart of my life.  Sometimes, it's hard as a mother to let go of a lot of formal practice - I still fuss about this from time to time.  Anyone else?

I just finished teaching a four week Mindful Parenting class through my sangha. It was a good experience, although the first time I have taught a class like this by myself (rather than assisting my teacher or giving a single talk.) I tried to focus on sharing how we can incorporate mindfulness into our family life and with our children.  Of course, what it helped me with the most was being reminded about all of these great practices.  (the old adage, "You teach what you need to learn" comes to mind!)

And happy Buddha's birthday to everyone!  We celebrated by pouring sweet tea on the baby Buddha last Sunday at our sangha.  A great ritual that children can also do.

#67 of 124 Old 04-05-2011, 05:37 AM

Morning all:)

I have just started chanting with a Buddhist group in my area.  I have been chanting for less than a year now but really enjoy it.  I have been reading  books on my own.  I live in a small town so everything is a min of a 40 minute drive and that can get in the way sometimes.  So far it seems to fit in with my love of nature and my Pagan beliefs, it feels like a good addition to my practice.  I found this out by taking a test online about  my spiritual path and Buddhist was number 2 or 3?  I am new to this so can't wait to learn from you all:)

earth.gif lovin, treehugger.gif  veggie

#68 of 124 Old 04-05-2011, 01:57 PM

wave.gif  Welcome new people! I haven't had much to add lately. A lot of stressful things going on in life right now, but I do check in, and enjoy reading others posts. Oh, and happy Spring!

#69 of 124 Old 04-17-2011, 05:53 PM

If all goes according to plan I'll start reading my Buddhism for Mothers tonight!  (Lol, you know the plan where the little goes to bed on time.)  I'm so excited!  I plan on ordering a mala as soon as we have some extra funds available.  I'm very excited to FINALLY be making some headway on this journey.

#70 of 124 Old 04-18-2011, 11:07 AM

You can make a mala by putting some beads on a string - seriously.  We did this as a craft project in our Buddhist "sunday school" and I'm wearing mine right now - it's cedar beads on a plastic stretchy string with a little tassle.  Not hard to do, very cheap, gets the job done.

Of course, I would like a "nice" one someday too. But fortunately, Buddhist practice requires only our delusion to be successful. And since we all have plenty of that, we're good to go! :)

redveg and TheSlingMama like this.
#71 of 124 Old 04-19-2011, 04:59 AM

Just popping in to say morning:)

earth.gif lovin, treehugger.gif  veggie

#72 of 124 Old 04-19-2011, 08:26 AM

Rofl, love it!  I know I could make my own but it's going to be a Mother's Day gift from my family if the funds come in in time.  Otherwise it'll be for our anniversary.  SO is Buddhist and would really like to get it for me so I couldn't say no.  :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane B View Post

You can make a mala by putting some beads on a string - seriously.  We did this as a craft project in our Buddhist "sunday school" and I'm wearing mine right now - it's cedar beads on a plastic stretchy string with a little tassle.  Not hard to do, very cheap, gets the job done.

Of course, I would like a "nice" one someday too. But fortunately, Buddhist practice requires only our delusion to be successful. And since we all have plenty of that, we're good to go! :)

#73 of 124 Old 05-19-2011, 07:14 PM

Hello everyone, Hope you all are doing well!  I just wanted to pop in and say hi. I started reading the book 'Anger' by Thich Nhat Hanh. Pretty good so far. A lot of good info on communication. Anyone else read it?  I think someone suggested his books upthread, and I am glad they did.  :)

#74 of 124 Old 05-21-2011, 10:12 PM
Banned

Hi, back around finally.

DH and I have started a family meditation circle at our holistic health center. We hope it continues to grow. So far it's just two other families -- but I'm sure it will grow. :D

#75 of 124 Old 06-05-2011, 07:36 PM

I wish there was something close by but sadly there isn't.  I'm doing really well implementing some of the ideas from Buddhism for Mothers.  It's helping my daughter and I a lot!  Next I'm going to try and start meditating with toddler in the mei tai!

#76 of 124 Old 06-07-2011, 01:52 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

I'm brand new to Buddhism, just started listening to zencasts last weekend, and already I feel more restored to my center.  It's hard to explain, but I've been through a lot of trauma and have felt 'sick' inside for a long time.  I haven't meditated yet, but I love the zencasts. 

bellyhair.giftreehugger.gif     coolshine.gif      greenthumb.gif     read.gif
#77 of 124 Old 06-07-2011, 11:00 AM

What do you do when you have a UU church, and a buddhist temple practically right next to each other(literally).... but your dh is atheist, and your kids think the UU church is more fun.... but you would really prefer to deepen your studies with buddhism and go to the temple?

treehugger.gifhippie.gifhomeschool.gifnamaste.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcrochetsmilie.gifblahblah.gifenergy.gifgoorganic.jpggd.gifteapot2.GIFbftoddler.giffamilybed2.gif

#78 of 124 Old 06-07-2011, 01:10 PM

If possibly I would do both - or maybe alternate?

#79 of 124 Old 06-08-2011, 09:38 AM

theslingmama: I'll try that, thanks!

Anyone in or near the DC area here, and planning on going to the upcoming Buddhafest?

http://www.buddhafest.org/

treehugger.gifhippie.gifhomeschool.gifnamaste.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcrochetsmilie.gifblahblah.gifenergy.gifgoorganic.jpggd.gifteapot2.GIFbftoddler.giffamilybed2.gif

#80 of 124 Old 06-08-2011, 08:34 PM
Banned

Well, our next meeting is in July, and this time we're offering kid's yoga with the meditation. Hopefully, we'll get a few more families. Otherwise, it's me and hawk and two yoga teachers doing yoga while DH meditates.

Also, in the case of the DH disinterested, kids like UU, and so on, I would probably see if I could have the kids participate at the UU while I go to temple or just alternate.

#81 of 124 Old 06-09-2011, 02:09 AM

What is meditation?  How do you meditate?  What is the purpose?  Everything I've read about meditation assumes that you already know how to do it. 

#82 of 124 Old 06-09-2011, 06:19 AM

zoebird: My DH wants the whole sunday worship thing to be a all inclusive family thing or he won't do anything at all. We were going to alternate, until the kids decided UU is more fun, and now dh just wants us to stick with UU. I'm just really confused as I really want to be a part of the buddhist temple, but I feel I have more support/friends at the UU church, and if I go to the temple it very well may be alone.

#83 of 124 Old 06-09-2011, 06:39 PM

Mittsy: can you do both?  I know you obviously want to share it with your family but maybe if you start going alone you will discover avenues to open it to your family, find things about the temple that are "fun" ??

EarthRootStarSoul: I love Zencasts.    http://www.wildmind.org is a good resource for meditation. 

peace.gif Mama and tiphat.gif Daddy (6/04) and energy.gifZ (5/10) make 3!  heartbeat.gif

#84 of 124 Old 06-09-2011, 07:32 PM

Read Suzuki Roshi

#85 of 124 Old 06-10-2011, 03:22 AM
Banned

What is meditation?

Typically, meditation is the stilling or calming of the mind, so that there are no thoughts floating through.

How do you meditate?  

There are thousands of methods. I find the easiest to be candle gazing. Set a timer for 3 minutes, then gaze at a candle. when you notice that you have wandered into your thoughts/daydreams, go back to looking at the candle. That's it. You're just bringing your mind back to the focal point. 

What is the purpose?  

There are multiple layers of purpose. The ultimate purpose is to live meditation all the time -- to be in the present moment, and deeply aware of that, without other thoughts, all the time. 

But, the earlier stages of meditation are really about training the mind to focus, observing how your mind works (your reactivity, your mental and behavioral patterns, etc).

Everything I've read about meditation assumes that you already know how to do it.

Largely because no one knows how to do it until they do it, and usually you don't realize that you are doing it when you are doing it, and of course, it takes a lot of practice to do it, and so it's really about practicing how to meditate, rather than actually meditating, until you become so practiced that practicing meditation becomes easier. Nice, right? LOL

Anyway, don't worry too much about how it reads when you read instructions, just try to do what you read. Beause that's the only way to learn meditation -- is by doing it. And you don't actually do it at first. The first thing is just getting focus. And that's tough. For everyone. Really.

I've been meditating for 20 years, and I still dont' ahve it down pat. :D

#86 of 124 Old 06-10-2011, 03:02 PM

Thanks, zoebird!  smile.gif

#87 of 124 Old 06-14-2011, 06:55 AM

I'm so drawn to Buddhism, but I find it very overwhelming. And I find myself alternating between the attraction of it and much that instead turns me off. Like with meditation ... I've been trying breath meditation and mindfulness meditation at home, and enjoy this very much. For my first attempt at a formal class, though, there was a lot of chanting and a laughing part that just did not work for me. I also think my Catholic upbringing has ruined me forever as far as rituals go; I just have a hard time taking seriously things that feel like the trappings of organized religion.

That said, I'm looking for something that feels like teaching. I'm enjoying the Buddhism for Mothers book that's been referenced here (along with a few others), but is there something other than, or in tandem with, meditation that supports the changes of heart, mind, and action one may aspire to? And is there a tradition that's more accommodating to a near-atheist who has trouble with words like disciples and followers?

Any comments and advice welcome. Thanks so much.

#88 of 124 Old 06-25-2011, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananahands View Post

I'm so drawn to Buddhism, but I find it very overwhelming. And I find myself alternating between the attraction of it and much that instead turns me off. Like with meditation ... I've been trying breath meditation and mindfulness meditation at home, and enjoy this very much. For my first attempt at a formal class, though, there was a lot of chanting and a laughing part that just did not work for me. I also think my Catholic upbringing has ruined me forever as far as rituals go; I just have a hard time taking seriously things that feel like the trappings of organized religion.

That said, I'm looking for something that feels like teaching. I'm enjoying the Buddhism for Mothers book that's been referenced here (along with a few others), but is there something other than, or in tandem with, meditation that supports the changes of heart, mind, and action one may aspire to? And is there a tradition that's more accommodating to a near-atheist who has trouble with words like disciples and followers?

This is something I could have written almost word for word, but instead of a Catholic upbringing, I was an evangelical Christian. I was just talking to my brother tonight about how I feel so drawn to the basic ideas of Buddhism, but keep tripping over anything that feels overtly religious. Having been without much faith and no religion for several years, I find myself yearning for a deeper spiritual connection, but wary of just about anything that would lead me there, if that makes sense. Hopefully with my reply, this will be bumped back up, and someone with more experience might have something to offer. :)

#89 of 124 Old 07-01-2011, 06:22 AM

Quote:

You might enjoy some books written by Western teachers, but with deep training with traditions.   Buddha Is As Buddha Does by Lama Surya Das might be a good place to start.  Also, anything by Tara Brach or Jack Kornfield.  I think they all do a great job with making the traditions applicable and present for our lives today.  Who around here hasn't at times felt unworthy or struggled with the suffering of being in close relationship with others?  I came to these from a near-Atheist background and found no problems with them.

Mama to DD (06/30/07).
#90 of 124 Old 07-01-2011, 07:07 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Quote:

If you haven't checked it out, "Full Catastrophe Living" by Jon Kabat-Zinn is a secular book on mindfulness meditation. 

And for something more non-secular, "Miracle of Mindfulness" by Thich Nhat Hanh. 

Once you delve deeper, "After the Ecstasy, the Laundry" by Jack Kornfield.

Shambhala Sun magazine (published by the Shambhala lineage, but has writings from authors of all traditions) is helpful to explore Buddhism.

Pro rights (vaxes).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page