Catholic/Non-Catholic Vasectomy question - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 38 Old 01-25-2011, 05:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceAndLove View Post

I guess I have other comments, but they would have to be presented in Religious Studies since Spirituality is not for debate.

Be sure to link the thread. orngbiggrin.gif

I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ. 

Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi 

#32 of 38 Old 01-25-2011, 06:27 PM

OP, I would yield to your husband on this one without guilt.  All the best to you!

#33 of 38 Old 01-26-2011, 08:15 AM
JMJ

Peace to you, Trigger.  I will be supportive as best I know how based on my world view, and I trust that you will do the same.

#34 of 38 Old 01-28-2011, 10:45 AM

AM - I was just reminded that a friend of mine asked me, about a year ago, about Church teaching and her tubal ligation. (She's battled cancer twice, and has a host of other health issues that make bearing another child a very serious risk to her life; plus two small children, one of whom has become extremely difficult due to some psychological issues.  All of this has put an enormous strain on her marriage, and on her own emotional & physical well-being.)  Part of my repsonse was

In any case, you obviously did what was best for you, for your physical and emotional health, and for your family.  And that is strictly between you and God, in my opinion.  I truly do not believe that God wants us to bear children at the expense of our physical/emotional health, and especially at the expense of our families' well-being.  "Being open to children" and "Having the physical and emotional capacity to bear children" are two very different things, in my opinion, which the Church needs to acknowledge.

anjelika likes this.

I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ. 

Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi 

#35 of 38 Old 01-28-2011, 10:28 PM

Annette, I can't say what your priest might say, and I haven't read all the responses, but I just wanted to chime in that my very best friend's mother went through a similar situation after her 7th child. She was 40 or 41, and my friend was her 7th child..she nearly died. The doctor told her she should not have another child under any circumstances but she and her husband were very faithful Catholics. She went to the priest in tears and he told her that it was his belief and that of the church that she was released from any guilt or sin because her life was in danger. She actually had her tubes tied after that. My friend (her daughter) and I were recently discussing this because I told my friend I wanted as many children as the Lord would give me, and she told me that story.

That was 35 yrs ago..surely things haven't changed. I cannot imagine that putting your life in danger would be acceptable to the church!

I'm so sorry you are struggling with this, and I will be lifting you up in prayer.

#36 of 38 Old 01-29-2011, 09:45 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie View Post

. This was just so outside my plan. My plan was to just accept babies if/when they came.

I think that sometimes our greatest growth comes from things outside our plan. I'm not catholic, but from a different tradition altogether. I'm wondering if there is a prayer or ritual that would help you come to accept that what is best for your children and marriage requires a sacrifice of your plan.

I deeply believe that our children come from god and that we have a sacred duty to them. I believe that nurturing our marriage is one of the best things we can do for our children.

All that requires you staying alive.

You've been though so much, and you are so very, very loved. May be this is God's way of letting you enough that you've done enough in this area. That you've completed what he wanted of you in this way. You've graduated from this lesson. You did accept babies when they came. You've been blessed with 6 living children, and the heartache of 3 that didn't make it. It sounds like that was God's Plan, and that you were willing. Now it sounds like God's Plan for you to let go and trust that he loves you, even though your body is completely done having babies. May be the peace for you can come from accepting that Your Plan and God's Plan weren't exactly the same.

Peace

anjelika likes this.

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

#37 of 38 Old 01-29-2011, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda on the move View Post

May be the peace for you can come from accepting that Your Plan and God's Plan weren't exactly the same.

Peace

brilliant words.  something I need to be reminded of at regular intervals. 

#38 of 38 Old 02-09-2011, 05:44 AM

prayers for you.

Homeschooling mom to 4 joy.gif

My Home Remedies Website treehugger.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page