February Pagan Circle - Page 5 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#121 of 296 Old 02-12-2011, 02:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

aweyn, there is a 1977 cartoon version of the hobbit.  i remember it fondly but dh thinks it stank.  it arrived from netflix, so maybe we'll test it out on ds tomorrow.

Jennifer, Naturopath and mom

#122 of 296 Old 02-12-2011, 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by liza-s View PostAny natural recommendations for mouth/gum pain? 

I found out today that one of DD's teachers has colon cancer. She's having surgery Wednesday, they won't know much about extent, stage, prognosis until after that.  Please light a candle for her.

Yikes, I'm only 51 and M is 54; I keep seeing things like this and it's right scary. I don't feel old candle.gif

Mouth-- yes, clove oil, or if you have just cloves in the house, wedge one between your gum and cheek until you can get help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aweynsayl View Postfoods~i dunno! that's my problem. maybe i need to do some greek foods. i'm craving tang. lol. things with lemon. 

ages for things~ you know, i was fairly young when we listened to the hobbit on the radio. and TLTW&TW was one of the first chapter books mom and i read! he loves HP. "dark" things dont bother him, like at all. 

cards, well, i was going to make some, but i'd imagine there are loads of "spring" cards out there..... sort of easter-ish, but without the religious content... like there are at christmas?

Avgolemono soup yummy.gif Not sure if I spelled that right, but it's Greek AND lemony, and so yummy!

I didn't mean, for b, about the dark aspect. I just meant they're a little old for him, I thought. DS wasn't remotely interested in those things for that reason, at that age. But maybe yours is different, who knows shrug.gif What is TW?

Cards-- I'm not about making them, but maybe I'll go see what's available. Or maybe I will, I dunno. I wish they had packs of them like they do at Christmas.

tracy posted the 2011 TM prep thread.......... 

biggrinbounce.gif

Off to go look now!

What a crappy day I've had, mamas. I can't wait till it's over greensad.gif

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

#123 of 296 Old 02-12-2011, 02:23 PM

Maia- sorry you had a crappy day, *hugs*

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#124 of 296 Old 02-12-2011, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiasaura View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by CariOfOz View PostOh exciting!!!    Man would I love to do something wild & crazy & adventurous like that :D  I shall live vicariously through you hehehe  I totally think you should make a blog about this, do you blog?  Because the adventure of moving to another country would be totally blogworthy!

Um, Cari, have you forgotten that you DID? ROTFLMAO.gif

ROTFLMAO.gif Well yeah, but that was TEN years ago.... I wanna do it again winky.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by aweynsayl View Post

oh, and btw--

since we've been talking about it!

tracy posted the 2011 TM prep thread.......... 

biggrinbounce.gif

OH sweet!  must go find!

I was sure I had more multiquotes here lol... ah well.  I just came off my weekend of work, slept 4hours and am up and about now :)  Dh made me cawwffeeeee and is ordering chinese food in a couple of hours... life is good thumb.gif

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
#125 of 296 Old 02-13-2011, 05:19 AM - Thread Starter

Sorry I haven't been around here these days.

Liza-  hug2.gif  Mouth pain-  Swishing whole milk or even cream in the mouth can help (if you are not allergic to milk.)  Also try warm water with sea salt.  Do either one as often as needed.

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

#126 of 296 Old 02-13-2011, 07:01 AM

argh my last post got eaten and now I can't get it back (sometimes I can if I hit forward again!)

anyhoo - I wishing everyone happy days and good luck with valentine day prep as we're up to our eyeballs in it here for the g-parents and J's class. Oi Vay!

I have more to say, but there's a thread on Birth Professionals which is getting my hackles raised right now in terms of guilt and "wrong" decisions. *sigh*  

Off to have a bit of coffee and start the cupcake prep oh and canning like 8 lbs of beans for the pantry... sweet love! 

treehugger.gifAnd you who seek to know Me, know that the seeking and yearning will avail you not, unless you know the Mystery: for if that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without.treehugger.gif

#127 of 296 Old 02-13-2011, 09:24 AM

Thank you for the get well wishes. I am slowly returning to land of the living. The thing is that due to the autoimmune stuffs it often takes longer to recover than I was actually sick. Also my body is attacking my urinary tract so I am dealing interstitial cystitis right now. Thank the Gods for AZO!

I did manage to file my taxes tho... way cool. Waiting on return now.

I'd love to do a card swap! I pm'ed you Maia.

Working on choosing my new tattoo. I think I am close to narrowing it down but I gotta tweak it.

Speaking of magic in stories I have a link http://www.magicalchildbooks.com/index.html

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
#128 of 296 Old 02-13-2011, 01:48 PM

What do you mean by a card swap?

bellycast.gifI am the Goddess, I am the Mother, all acts of love and pleasure are my rituals.dust.gif
#129 of 296 Old 02-13-2011, 02:00 PM

wow time is flying by!

i was recently diagnosed as fructose intolerant. i have been reading about it and it sounds like my fibro will get mostly better if i cut out sugar and a lot of wheat. i want to get tested and see if it is hereditary. it would totally explain DS and DD1's issues. and my mon's grandma's and dad's. lol. i was already cutting out HFCS. but now i have even more reason to.

getting excited about treasure map time. already have cardboard and stuff from last year. it is still all put away though. just working on clearing out the air here. need to go find that prep thread. :)

i have been attending the UU church closest to us. i am loving it! it is exactly what i needed right now.

my son has decided to start talking to his dad again. :( they are texting right now and the first thing that x said was how i lied to DS and the only reason he cant see him is bc i got mad at him (he forgot the part about the RO for harassment, and the police report for trying to lock me in his houes. sheesh) so that led to a little issue where DS was yelling at me and demanding proof of the RO etc. (i wouldnt know the first step to getting a copy of the report right now, but the school had it on file for awhile). his dad is talking about moving to california bc he thinks he can get his pot legal there. i hope he goes. that man scares the crap out of me. i dont even like being in the same state as him. he even threatened my son. i just dont get it, i guess. DS doesnt want to believe me. he thinks i am lying bc his (hasnt talked to in 3 yrs) father says so. originally he wanted to ask his father about his half sister. she was adopted by the moms aunt. he cant find any info on her at all. so that was an emotional rollercoaster. i really dislike being called a liar.

but TM time is here!! so i am excited and happy. the brilliant sunshine coming in my windows must be helping. it is so bright and warm, even though there is still 3 ft of snow out there. it feels like spring today!

Me,DH,DS1'95, '98,DSD'03,DD1'07,DD2'09,DS2'12 Living with Fructose Malabsorption Syndrome and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome Type 3-Hypermobility.)o( and sometimes I get toif I am lucky.
#130 of 296 Old 02-13-2011, 05:40 PM

Allergy question - I'll probably go read up more and post on the Allergy forum as well, but thought I'd appreciate hearing the wisdom of ya'll.

So I've been suspecting for a while that DS has another allergy or sensitivity lurking in the background. His knee and elbow eczema patches are flaring, first time since we cut dairy out of his and my diet when he was 11 month old (so over 2 years).  Dairy caused the eczema excessive boogerieness, super thick chest mucous, ear pain, and a flaming red bung hole.  But the eczema was the first indicator by probably 5 months.  I'd ruled out all of the common allergens, except soy. However, the flare ups just weren't hard to correlate.  Well, today little stinker learned how to open the refrigerator and over about 4 hours at 1 tub of soy yogurt (8 oz) and 3 tubs of soy pudding (a special treat I bought for him for daycare tomorrow for a valentines day cupcake bake, it was the icing.) OMG flaming red cheeks.  I guess it has to do with dose to get a straight forward reaction.  (A bit of momma guilt for not seeing this reaction, lets just say he figured out how take advantage of diaper changes & nursings for DD)

So here's my questions:  1) Other than being raised with ragged edges (that's what mine are like), how do you tell the difference between red skin and a hive.  His hives have never seemed to itch him much, so I'm at a loss. 2) If it takes 4 times his normal "dose" to create an immediate reaction, whaat are your thoughts on how strictly he avoid soy.  We'll cut the soy yogurt & tofu, but i'm thinking about a little soy sauce in stir fry & such.

Liza - Bird watching, tree hugging, dirt eating, kinda-crunchy momma to my cub (3) and bird (1). treehugger.gifcold.gifdust.gifflower.gif
#131 of 296 Old 02-13-2011, 06:32 PM

doesn't soy yogurt usually have some bit of dairy in it?  but as for avoiding it, i'd restrict as fully as possible for a month or so - to clean out his system - then use fermented soy only thereafter (tamari is wheat-free).

if he's red and itchy and slightly bumpy, you're definitely seeing a reaction - i don't think it really matters at that point whether it is hives, eczema or just redness.  something has obviously caused irritation.  the one and only time i ever got hives, they were just patchy red itchy spots.  not really raised until i started scratching.

you might try getting some bone broth into him regularly, either as broth/soup/stew or when cooking rice and beans and so on - the glutamine and gelatin in it will help restore the damaged gut lining.  plain ol' beef gelatin (sweetened and flavored with a touch of juice) is also a good thing for healing an irritated gut.

homeopathically, i would also do 1 dose of 6C or 30C sulfur (whichever is easier to find but start with 6C if you can find it).  if the redness and itchies get worse, that means it is working.  however, if it gets intolerably bad (after sulfur), plunk him in a peppermint bath to antidote the remedy.

#132 of 296 Old 02-14-2011, 03:49 AM

Morning all:)  Just a quick stop here this morning.  One dd is getting her braces off and one DD is getting braces on today.  I will be sitting in the ortho's office all day.

Happy Valentine's Day everyone:)

I hope to get back here tonight or tomorrow to catch up.  Hope everyone is well.

earth.gif lovin, treehugger.gif  veggie

#133 of 296 Old 02-14-2011, 05:57 AM

Morning Ladies! Getting ready for a party this morning, should be fun! The wind was awful last night, kept me up on and off all night, and it is damp.

Red-I have never had braces, how long do they take to put on/off?

Liza- Could be a reaction. In the winter my dd's cheeks get worse, as far as eczema, I think the weather plays a role. Though it sounds like ds is having a mild reaction to soy. I think each person has their own sensitivity level, so that might be his threshold. Allergies are so wonky, and even a seemingly non-allergic person, could suddenly develop an allergy.

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#134 of 296 Old 02-14-2011, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionessMom View Postmy son has decided to start talking to his dad again. :( they are texting right now and the first thing that x said was how i lied to DS and the only reason he cant see him is bc i got mad at him (he forgot the part about the RO for harassment, and the police report for trying to lock me in his houes. sheesh) so that led to a little issue where DS was yelling at me and demanding proof of the RO etc. (i wouldnt know the first step to getting a copy of the report right now, but the school had it on file for awhile). his dad is talking about moving to california bc he thinks he can get his pot legal there. i hope he goes. that man scares the crap out of me. i dont even like being in the same state as him. he even threatened my son. i just dont get it, i guess. DS doesnt want to believe me. he thinks i am lying bc his (hasnt talked to in 3 yrs) father says so. originally he wanted to ask his father about his half sister. she was adopted by the moms aunt. he cant find any info on her at all. so that was an emotional rollercoaster. i really dislike being called a liar.

He's 15, right? Yeah...time to start testing you and see if you're the liar or not, kwim? His dad, on the outside, seems (operative word, here) to have all his shite together, and seems to be cooler than you, at the moment. What I have to say...maintain your integrity. Don't argue with him. Only makes you look worse and your ex look better. And ds could theoretically hoof it out to CA with his dad. I think he's within his legal rights to do so, but I don't know for sure. I HATE being called a liar-- but I have mostly talked up ds's father in a good light (or a pitiful one, "poor dad, mentally ill and all") even though he was a righteous arse in the last stages of his illnesses. Because I knew that ds would end up hating me and seeing his df in a better light. DS has some 11 cousins on that side, two aunts and an uncle, and a grandfather, that he met when he was tiny but doesn't remember. Those people rarely, if ever, try to keep in touch with me. They don't have anything against us-- I tried to keep contact for a couple years b/c of DS-- they just live really far away and are busy with their own lives, and we were a 2nd family for my ex, so we kind of were an afterthought and really didn't count, to all those people. I'm just letting DS figure it all out for himself. He knows he has 11 cousins and people who don't contact him. I'm letting their behavior speak for themselves. Your Ex will do the same thing-- give it time. Even if it hurts you in the meanwhile. You will come out smelling the cleaner, by comparison, kwim? hug2.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by liza-s View PostWe'll cut the soy yogurt & tofu, but i'm thinking about a little soy sauce in stir fry & such.

I'd say take it easy. Let him stay away from it for awhile, then reintroduce a tinybit at a time, and see. Then maybe a massive dose again, like he did on his own-- even if it's uncomfortable for him, you'll know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluets View Postthen use fermented soy only thereafter (tamari is wheat-free).

It isn't, always. It's good to check the ingredients. Here, at the HFS, they say "wheat-free" on the label, but sometimes they don't, depending on the brand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeress View PostAllergies are so wonky, and even a seemingly non-allergic person, could suddenly develop an allergy.

This. Yep! I always laugh at people who say "I don't get poison ivy". And I say "yet" lol.gif Allergies come and go. On their own, generally, and for no apparent reason.

Happy Valentine's Day, all! heartbeat.gifheartbeat.gifheartbeat.gif

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

#135 of 296 Old 02-14-2011, 09:11 AM

Quote:

He's 15, right? Yeah...time to start testing you and see if you're the liar or not, kwim? His dad, on the outside, seems (operative word, here) to have all his shite together, and seems to be cooler than you, at the moment. What I have to say...maintain your integrity. Don't argue with him. Only makes you look worse and your ex look better. And ds could theoretically hoof it out to CA with his dad. I think he's within his legal rights to do so, but I don't know for sure. I HATE being called a liar-- but I have mostly talked up ds's father in a good light (or a pitiful one, "poor dad, mentally ill and all") even though he was a righteous arse in the last stages of his illnesses. Because I knew that ds would end up hating me and seeing his df in a better light. DS has some 11 cousins on that side, two aunts and an uncle, and a grandfather, that he met when he was tiny but doesn't remember. Those people rarely, if ever, try to keep in touch with me. They don't have anything against us-- I tried to keep contact for a couple years b/c of DS-- they just live really far away and are busy with their own lives, and we were a 2nd family for my ex, so we kind of were an afterthought and really didn't count, to all those people. I'm just letting DS figure it all out for himself. He knows he has 11 cousins and people who don't contact him. I'm letting their behavior speak for themselves. Your Ex will do the same thing-- give it time. Even if it hurts you in the meanwhile. You will come out smelling the cleaner, by comparison, kwim? hug2.gif

Happy Valentine's Day, all! heartbeat.gifheartbeat.gifheartbeat.gif

thanks! but should i show him the paperwork so that he knows for sure i havent lied to him? every time he has asked to see his father i have made a reasonalbe effort to allow it. drove him there. sat with him, even left him for overnights when x seemed to be alright. but it always led to x harassing me. when it was up to x to do anything about the relationship, he never pursued anything. but x turns it all around on me. i have had the same phone number and lived in the same town for 30 years. i know x knows the number bc he has called it in the last 3 years.  

eta: i am having a hard time with these diet changes. :( i think i am rebelling even though i wanted this answer. i binged on doughnutss and candy sigh. now i have a scalp flare up and overwhelming fatigue. i just need to stick to it. apparently wheat contains fructans. so i am going to be sugar free, mostly dairy free, wheat free. i dont know how to cook like that. i need a book..... reccs?

Me,DH,DS1'95, '98,DSD'03,DD1'07,DD2'09,DS2'12 Living with Fructose Malabsorption Syndrome and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome Type 3-Hypermobility.)o( and sometimes I get toif I am lucky.
#136 of 296 Old 02-14-2011, 09:25 AM

LM - *hugs*  Are you sure you have to be dairy-free too? I can't remember if you had tested positive for dairy allergy or not previously.  I think the Allergy threads have great information on how to cook with the above allergens removed as many of the mamas there have experience in that arena.  As for sugar-free - fructose is mainly found in most fruits & veggies right (looking for my old highschool health book now since I remember that fructose is a version of glucose with some extras), so can you use regular sugar (i.e. sugar cane?) or molasses or maple syrup? as a sweetner? 

Ok now off to re-educate myself about basic carbon sugar structures... via wikipedia winky.gif

treehugger.gifAnd you who seek to know Me, know that the seeking and yearning will avail you not, unless you know the Mystery: for if that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without.treehugger.gif

#137 of 296 Old 02-14-2011, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ktg_ View Post

LM - *hugs*  Are you sure you have to be dairy-free too? I can't remember if you had tested positive for dairy allergy or not previously.  I think the Allergy threads have great information on how to cook with the above allergens removed as many of the mamas there have experience in that arena.  As for sugar-free - fructose is mainly found in most fruits & veggies right (looking for my old highschool health book now since I remember that fructose is a version of glucose with some extras), so can you use regular sugar (i.e. sugar cane?) or molasses or maple syrup? as a sweetner? 

Ok now off to re-educate myself about basic carbon sugar structures... via wikipedia winky.gif

everything i am reading says no. no sucrose. it says glucose is fine, but it gives me a stomach ache. it also says bananas are ok but they give me major problems.

and dairy free bc the lactose gives me heartburn and lactose free cheese gives my nursling rashes. but we tested neg for dairy allergy and lactose intolerance. :shrug

i was laready heading this way anyway.. i had cut out dairy. i had cut out HFCS. i was going to do gluten next and save sugar for last. but i guess wheat and sugar are big deals. so out they go. we have been eating lots of fried potatoes and meat. and rice and beans. but some sites are saying beans might not be good either. and i have been eating brown rice and some places say white is better.

#138 of 296 Old 02-14-2011, 11:22 AM

LM: if you soak you beans for a day before you cook them, you'll get them into a state that they are more easily digestible.  i have to wonder if a digestive enzyme might help with the dairy issues you have.  and you're right - no sucrose because sucrose is an additive molecule formed from glucose and fructose.  lactose is another additive molecule formed from glucose and galactose.  so glad you've found a home at your UU - while you're going through your new dietary changes, it should be relieving to have an increasingly solid spiritual home for you.

the more i read about immunology, the more confused i get about "allergies" because we use the term so colloquially.  i then have to stand on my head and figure out which is a real allergy and which is a false allergy.  oh well.... immunology course isn't for a few more months...  my mentor had me hunt down the basic sciences outline for the naturopathic licensing exam so that we can make sure i cover everything.  even though i can't take their test.

oh, and labels labels labels!  with the deregulation of GM sugar beets, you can bet that companies will start to replace HFCS with sugar from GM sugar beets (because it will be cheaper than sugar from sugar cane).  and they won't need to label it as GM sugar beets.  and now there's talk of GM corn for ethanol.  how the heck are they goign to keep GM corn away from organic corn?  hellllloooooo USDA.....  corn is wind-pollinated.  unless you've got strictly one-way winds from west to east (without local swirly winds), the only place you'll be able to have organic corn will be in CA.

well, i spent some time outside in the soggy muddy garden this weekend.  uprooted dead stuff and tossed it into my bonfire pit - where it smoked and occasionally tossed up a flame.  it was too windy and stuff was too soggy really, and i didn't even throw on real wood - jsut the monstrous burdock from last summer.  on the upside,  i think i found a "sit spot" :)  now to turn it into MY sit spot.

#139 of 296 Old 02-14-2011, 12:46 PM

Quote:

Maybe they are! How do you know they aren't? winky.gif Actually I raised ds to believe that Santa is a god, or a spirit, but not incarnate, which I believe anyway...so that when the time comes to transition, it'd be easier. I have told him for years that anyone who wears the suit embodies the spirit of Santa. So that all those ones we see during the season ARE Santa, even if they're hired. And I'm Santa. And he can "play Santa" at my mom's and hand 'round the gifts from under the tree.

I love this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View Post

magic-- maybe browse through the pagan resource thread for book ideas?  I remember there were a few lists of "pagan friendly books for kids".  Maybe one of the Andre Norton books (like Steel Magic) or something by deLint (along the lines of urban fae) or McKillip (worlds in which magic is more integrated)?  Or Raymond Feist if that's appropriate... the Magician series or Faerie Tale are a bit dark (or very dark, Faerie Tale routinely scares the bejeebus out of me when I re-read it) but similar to Stephen King levels of dark/woo.  I guess just put all sorts of different definitions and scenarios out there for him?  Not all pagans believe in "big M magic" or "magick with a k" and maybe he hears magic and thinks harry potter or something like that?  Something that isn't/couldn't be part of his life.  Stories may be a gentle way to suggest different definitions or ideas about what magic "is".

My daughter (almost four) might not be old enough for these books yet, but I'm definitely going to add them to my reading list. Though I will say, she's been LOVING the Magic Tree House series that we've been listening to on audiobook in the car...

Where do I find this pagan resource thread? Does someone have a link?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aweynsayl View Post

well, i think we're past our coldest. it's supposed to get to 80 on sunday (please the weather gods!)... i will be so very excited to get working outside.... i can feel the energy picking up out there... lives are starting to get more filled with activities and such... or maybe it's just my cell salts and FEs really starting to work on a deeper level.... at any rate. it's going to be an interesting spring!

And I was thrilled that it finally hit 40 degrees here. I know for a lot of people the daffodils, hyacinth, and tulips are starting to sprout, but even with our foot of snow starting to melt making it feel like spring, no flowers yet. I was so tempted to buy some at Trader Joes yesterday, though! I've had such a bad case of the winter blahs, lately. Hoping with the upcoming equinox I'll undergo a bit of renewel, too.

Partner to Rbikenew.gif ('03); Parent to T read.gif('07), Aviolin.gif ('10), and E ecbaby2.gif ('13)

femalesling.GIFhomeschool.gifchicken3.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif 

#140 of 296 Old 02-14-2011, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionessMom View Postthanks! but should i show him the paperwork so that he knows for sure i havent lied to him? every time he has asked to see his father i have made a reasonalbe effort to allow it. drove him there. sat with him, even left him for overnights when x seemed to be alright. but it always led to x harassing me. when it was up to x to do anything about the relationship, he never pursued anything. but x turns it all around on me. i have had the same phone number and lived in the same town for 30 years. i know x knows the number bc he has called it in the last 3 years. 

Well...I think what I would do is this. Instead of going "I can SHOW you, see? I'm NOT LYING!!", which is justifying and trying to show that You Are Right, maybe just if he keeps up the bs, just kindly and quietly offer: "It did happen. I don't lie. You can choose to believe me or not. If you would like to see the paperwork, I will do my best to find it and show you (and btw, make sure you have backup copies in case he gets belligerent and either steals them to give Ex or destroys them-- kids do those kinds of things; I would've maybe). Like I said before, it may take painful years, but your behavior and ex's behavior will show itself to be true at some point. Keep your integrity and just be your true self. DS isn't stoopid and he will eventually see the light. I do believe this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluets View Postwell, i spent some time outside in the soggy muddy garden this weekend.  uprooted dead stuff and tossed it into my bonfire pit - where it smoked and occasionally tossed up a flame.  it was too windy and stuff was too soggy really, and i didn't even throw on real wood - jsut the monstrous burdock from last summer.  on the upside,  i think i found a "sit spot" :)  now to turn it into MY sit spot.

I got outside today, too! Just for a half hour, but I started cleaning out the ick in the garden area. Yay us! Now if I only had a fire pit and a MY spot, too.

#141 of 296 Old 02-14-2011, 01:04 PM

*hugs* LM If I see any tasty wheat/dairy/sugar/fructose -free recipes I will be sure to pass them your way. 

Had a bit of a turning point in my mind today... I actually disengaged from a conversation once I figured out the person would not listen (yeah its that thread again) any other reasonable POV.  I am proud of myself as normally I would stew on the response, and formulate how to argue my point better and instead I just walked away from it.

I also did some wonderful meditative time today and kept the chant of "I am" and "to be" going through my head and I actually stayed in the present & mindful! Sorry I'm so giddy about this, but usually my mind wanders back & forth rehashing everything between the start of my day to then.

Maia - FYI I did see some spring cards in Target yesterday as I was running though it to get some goodies for valentine's day for the kiddos!

#142 of 296 Old 02-14-2011, 03:00 PM

I'm back!  Well, not that I went anywhere, but "back" from the insane workload of the last few days.  I managed to make the hourly quota but didn't totally hit the number of hours... but I think it'll be ok.

Yesterday was my wedding anniversary... 18 years together, 12 years married!  DH made me a necklace using silk thread and pearls (one set of 6 pearls for "everyone" in the family, and flanking sets of 4 pearls on each side for the four kiddos, and the clasp represents the two of us) because silk/pearls are the "12th anniversary items" on the list he has.  :)  I wasn't nearly as crafty, but I used the last of my gift card to get him two magazines he enjoys but never buys for himself.  It was nice, and the kiddos were sweet too.  I'm so lucky!  :)

And then today the temps were in the 40s!  It put me in a total spring cleaning state of mind and I got a LOT done.  Not that a casual passerby would notice the difference since the kids "helped", but I can see the difference.  Of course, the wind picked up and right now it's back below freezing with blowing ice/sleet/snow and a wicked wind (wind chill tonight is supposed to be -10).  But it was still glorious!  I had the windows open and it really felt like spring was on it's way.  And we made a bunch of hearts (cut from watercolor paintings dd1 brings home from preschool) and hung them all over the kitchen.  :)

Let's see... Pagan Resource Thread here.  It's pretty long, and it has posts that link to the various camps as well as lots of resource suggestions for adults as well as some for kids.

And big hugs on the food allergies and intolerances!  The cookbook I really like is Cooking for Isaiah Gluten Free & Dairy Free Recipes for Easy, Delicious Meals by Silvana Nardone (forward by Rachel Ray).  The recipes aren't controlling for sweetener and do have ingredients (like corn) that might require swapping out, but there is no wheat/gluten and no dairy... and the recipes we've tried taste good and are pretty simply to make.  So yay!  Silvana has a blog too and talks about her food allergy journey and the eventual cookbook here.  If you can't find the book at the library maybe check out the recipe section of the blog to see if any of it "works" for you?

We also have Allergy-Free Cooking for Kids by Antoinette Saville and The Kid-Friendly Food Allergy Cookbook by Leslie Hammond and Lynne Rominger.  Both have some good recipes, of the two we use Kid-Friendly more often, even though Allergy-Free has a cookie shapped like a hedgehog on the cover and I adore pinpiggies.  Oh, and although not specifically gluten free, the Post Punk Kitchen has great vegan stuff and you can swap flours to suit.

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#143 of 296 Old 02-14-2011, 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LionessMom View Post

thanks! but should i show him the paperwork so that he knows for sure i havent lied to him? every time he has asked to see his father i have made a reasonalbe effort to allow it. drove him there. sat with him, even left him for overnights when x seemed to be alright. but it always led to x harassing me. when it was up to x to do anything about the relationship, he never pursued anything. but x turns it all around on me. i have had the same phone number and lived in the same town for 30 years. i know x knows the number bc he has called it in the last 3 years.  

eta: i am having a hard time with these diet changes. :( i think i am rebelling even though i wanted this answer. i binged on doughnutss and candy sigh. now i have a scalp flare up and overwhelming fatigue. i just need to stick to it. apparently wheat contains fructans. so i am going to be sugar free, mostly dairy free, wheat free. i dont know how to cook like that. i need a book..... reccs?

Ugh hun, what a miserable situation to be in.  I agree with Maia ...  right now dad is 'cool' and new & exciting so he is going to start wondering geez... why did I get stuck with boring old MOM.  And he'll be inclined to believe his father for the simple fact that all children want daddy's approval, and he will naturally worry that if he doesn't believe dad... will he disappear because of it?    You have been the steady, constant, ROCK of your sons' life.. he WILL eventually understand.    And when he realizes his father has been lying & trashing YOU?  omg his father will want to be ready for it, because he will be angry beyond belief.   I can tell you for a fact, as both of my oldest sons spent several years not really speaking to their father because he misrepresented our situation to them (his wife cut off all ways for me to contact the boys when they made a military move, so I had no way to find them.  They told the boys I basically just didn't want to be bothered contacting them.)  My boys are much older and know better now thankfully.  And I have always been very careful to be as honest as possible with them because I'd rather the OTHER parental units cop that rage thanks :P 

I feel for ya with the diet stuff... DH & I have decided we are going to make the big leap of cutting out sugar.  It's going to require a pretty big shift in our eating as we both love sweets to the point that we now recognize it as a sort of addiction.

Clay, happy anniversary!!  Your dh sounds so thoughtful to create such a personal gift for you :)  

Our anniversary is this saturday,  this is the 10th for us.. I can hardly believe it's been 10 years since we married!  The littles are having a sleepover at nanny's (we're dropping them off at lunchtime saturday) and mum has given us a gift voucher to this lovely little restaurant they love (we've thought about going, but never have as it's a bit $)  And we're going to go see a thoroughly UNromantic movie after dinner lol .. Unknown with Liam Neeson.  Hot damn that man is nice to watch for a couple of hours hehehe. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View Post

I'm back!  Well, not that I went anywhere, but "back" from the insane workload of the last few days.  I managed to make the hourly quota but didn't totally hit the number of hours... but I think it'll be ok.

Yesterday was my wedding anniversary... 18 years together, 12 years married!  DH made me a necklace using silk thread and pearls (one set of 6 pearls for "everyone" in the family, and flanking sets of 4 pearls on each side for the four kiddos, and the clasp represents the two of us) because silk/pearls are the "12th anniversary items" on the list he has.  :)  I wasn't nearly as crafty, but I used the last of my gift card to get him two magazines he enjoys but never buys for himself.  It was nice, and the kiddos were sweet too.  I'm so lucky!  :)

redveg likes this.

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
#144 of 296 Old 02-15-2011, 07:00 AM

Good morning everyone!  

I'm going to post this and try editing it - I posted to this thread twice yesterday but both posts got lost when the posting part froze up angry.gif I have been quiet online lately - had a six day migraine last week.  Totally stress-related.  Dealing with that.

Happy anniversary, Clay!  What a lovely gift your dh made :)  I love that there were *six* pearls.  That is so very sweet.

Lioness, I'm sorry you are going through that with your son.  I second the advice others have offered.  It sounds hard to deal with, on top of the diet changes.

I am famous for not liking Valentine's Day - the commercialism of it. It's silly, but dh and I traditionally go out for dinner sometime after Valentine's to celebrate Gorbachev's birthday (March 2) and the anniversary of the ending of the Cold War (the wall came down about the time we got together and our early days involved a lot of watching history unfold on TV.)  Dh wouldn't dare get me flowers on V-day.  He did go into the library and pay a fine for me for a lost book yesterday and I did actually get him a Valentine this year which is a big concession on my part, lol! He is having a colonoscopy tomorrow and is anxious about it, understandably.  Me too, really.

Congrats ktg on finding a new way to relate. Doing a lot of meditation myself, and keeping track of dreams, etc.  Spent all last night dreaming of partying with the fairies, which was a nice change from stressful anxiety dreams lately, although not a restful sleep, as one might expect..  There was an awful lot of doing ponytails in everyone's hair in different/cool ways....

#145 of 296 Old 02-15-2011, 07:17 AM

treehugger.gifHi everyone!  Just a quick flyby as I was thinking of you all.  Hope yesterday was full of Love for everybody.  Today really needs to be dedicated to some serious decluttering and cleaning.  Thanks for all the well wishes and support about our move to Mexico.  Lots to do! Bolt.gif

dust.gifloving magick mama to DD(7) flower.gif and DS (5) Bolt.gifLife partner DP blueman.gif  earth.gif )0( treehugger.gif
#146 of 296 Old 02-15-2011, 09:46 AM

I just realized that I haven't been on MDC in a few weeks.  Way behind, maybe I'll catch up, probably not.  redface.gif

My family of 3 (plus pup) Indigo (Aimee), Rob (dp), Ryne (ds) & Phebe (dog), plus my BIL's family of 3.

"The best way to predict the future is to invent it." - Alan Kay

#147 of 296 Old 02-15-2011, 10:06 AM

revolting~ well, 40 there is probably about the equivalent of 80 here, lol..... 

cari and clay~ happy anniversaries! our 10th wedding anniversary is this summer. myhowtimesflies, eh? (and cari, yes, LN is lovely to watch. been watching loads of SW special features including him sweating it out with a lightsaber.... ;-)

bluets~ let me know how the 77 hobbit goes over. i have it in our queue. i loved it. had the --gasp-- record, too. 

also, i'm going to be very interested to hear what all you learn in immunology. i've got such mixed feelings about allergies. the tapping guy had a script he's working on for gluten. i tend to feel things energetically, so i of course lean that way. but i am interested to hear many perspectives, and am enjoying learning from you! 

deregulation of GM sugar beets? yipes! still true, though, yes, that GM anything cant be used in something called "organic"?? please say yes........

sweetsunshine~ card swap: card exchange. though, no one's PMed me, so..... ;-) 

maia, re: age/etc... i think it all so varies by kid, just like all things. the "tw" was the "the wardrobe" part of "the lion, the witch...." (TLTW&TW) :-) 

aubergine, hugs hon on the migraine! i wondered what hole you were hiding in.... hope you're better now! and finding ways to deal with the stress..... have you tried magnus's migraine tapping script? i LOVE it. (been dealing with one myself. it does help. i am also finding my cell salts really help....)

& i love your post-vday birthday celebration. i adore traditions like those. hope you have a wonderful time with it! 

spent much of sunday getting dirt under my nails. in mom's garden, lol. cant wait to start on mine!

ds and i are taking down v-day decor today, and starting on "bring back the snakes" stufff. ;-) i'm going to crochet snakes for the wreath..... hee hee. 

hope everyone's doing well.....

#148 of 296 Old 02-15-2011, 11:33 AM

thanks for the support everybody. it means alot. DS and I had a rough start in life. he has some issues. but i think he is ok now. he hasnt said anything about it. he knows i never lie to him. i cant stand lying to kids.

the diet thing wont happen over night. i already bought this months groceries. most of it is diet friendly but some of it is not. i can afford to replace it so i will use it but eat it sparingly. feed most of it to the people who have less problems. everything will be replaced with safe food. so the first of next month is when i can start my 6 weeks of the diet. i ws told to take extra vit c right now and a vitamin. i need to check the vitamins to make sure they dont have anything in it i cant have.

clay thanks for the links! as always, so helpful! i have talked my mom (who has worse digestive issues than i do) to get tested for fructose intolerance. she has already ordered the primal diet book.

#149 of 296 Old 02-15-2011, 01:25 PM

feeling a bit overwhelmed and undermotivated lately. i am wondering if some PPD might be setting in, not that i feel bad, but  not wanting to DO anything and then feeling overwhelmed by the amount of crud that needs to be done. so i sort of "hide" on line or by watching crap on tv that i don't really want to watch.

dh gets home from work and is pooped out (he isn't sleeping well) and nothing is getting done here. the house is more messy then i am comfortable with but no one wants to do anything. plus even though dh is all sweet about saying he will do whatever i want, he doesn't actually follow thru so nothing is getting done, or i guess it isn't getting done the way i want it to be done. like he cleaned the bathrooms... BUT he didn't clean the tub, or the toilet or mop the floors. so really it isn't clean. or last night he offered to make dinner, so he makes meat... that is it. nothing else. like that really isn't a meal. i hate being all b!tchy because i know that it sounds that way, but i feel like no one actually does anything completely, so either i do it or i get all uptight about it. 

plus i am feeling guilty/upset/jealous of my friends who are sort of living while i feel like i am in this holding pattern. i want to get going on the yard, but i can't do it alone and dh says he will do things but then the weekend goes by and nothing ever gets done, or he takes FOREVER to do one thing. PLUS since we are renting he doesn't want to DO anything to the yard really. which if we are living here for at least 2 years (possibly more) why the hell not make the yard nice? i want to live some place nice. i look out in the yard and stuff is dead or dirt. i hate it. i want some life here. i mean i guess when it comes down to it, if i want it to happen then i have to make it happen, even if it means i strap fiona in the sling and start digging up the yard and start building a compost bin and start planting... i just want him to want it too. 

h

mama to 6 amazing children joy.gif married to my main man for 21 years love.gif and finally home FULL time dishes.gifhang.gifknit.gif

#150 of 296 Old 02-15-2011, 02:38 PM

What kind of card exchange? And is it like, mailing cards to each other??? Confused still. I would be interested, if I knew what it was...

bellycast.gifI am the Goddess, I am the Mother, all acts of love and pleasure are my rituals.dust.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page