February Pagan Circle - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#181 of 296 Old 02-18-2011, 12:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Maia- a lot of my academic background is in the interplay of catholic and pagan trends.  Heck, my senior thesis project at Cornell was analyzing the Brigid/St Bridget melding.  You can totally, and easily, make all sorts of comparisons.  And there is a decently sized community of "Christo-Pagans" (even a thread here in spirituality).

My only warning would be that while many pagans are happy to chat about the similarities between some pagan movements and some catholic beliefs... catholics are often MUCH less happy to hear anything on the subject.  The role of Mary and the existance of Marian Devotion is one of the major differences between the catholic and the protestant branches of christianity and as such it is very much a sore spot/hot button and one I always had to handle with kid gloves.  I've been thrown out of events for what I thought of as "casual comments of an interesting nature" that went over like lead ballons.  LOL

Anyway, check the library for the following:

Pagans & Christians by Gus DiZerega (written from a pagan academic perspective, also very "pagan=wiccan", but still interesting)

The Woman with the Alabaster Jar and The Goddess in the Gospels by Margaret Starbird (written from the catholic side, "reclaim the divine feminine")

Mary the Feminine Face of the Church and Women-Church Theology and Practice of Feminist Liturgical Communities by Rosemary Radford Ruether (very eco-feminist, but well researched and well known in academic religious studies circles)

Heaven's Face Thinly Veiled (it's a compilation, but a great intro to the HUGE world of female mystics.  Hildegard of Bingen is my all time fav)

In Memory of Her, But SHE Said, and Wisdom Ways all by Elisabeth Schussler Fiorenza (big time bible scholar, also big time feminist, But SHE Said is a great book IMO though most people site In Memory of Her as Fiorenza's best work)

Hmmm... almost anything by Jane Schaberg, Phyllis Trible, Carol Meyers, or...argh!  My brain is going.  I should pull out some of my notes and give you a real list.  LOL

Oh, and check out Woman's Bible... it was a annotation/analysis of the Bible produced in the late 1800s early 1900s (by a team headed by Elizabeth Cady Stanton).  That along with the Jefferson Bible (by Thomas Jefferson, edited so as to remove everything from the Bible that was "mystical", leaving a practical and inspiring book that did not require the suspension of natural law to aprpeciate) makes for interesting reading.  And I always found really close ties between pagan themes and Liberation Catholicism... Liberation Theology focuses on social justice, leaning towards shared ownership and a removal of heirarchy.  Very relevant to the world today IMO (though condemed front and back by the established church so, um, probably not another thing to drop into casual conversation until you know the views of those in the room!  Again, speaking from painful experience... I nearly failed a class at Columbia because I was going on and on about the pros of liberation theology and it turned out the prof was a staunch devote catholic who did NOT like my tone).

Ok, dropping back out of academia and into reality... what the heck should I make for dinner?  My head is killing me... it was in the mind 50s today but will be below 20 tonight (the weather dude mentioned a "wind advisory", you think?  With a 30+ degree drop in temps over a few hours?) and my head is letting me know that the weather fronts do be a shifting.  OUCH!  Every time I move it's like getting nailed in the sinus.  So I have zero motivation to get up and cook.  Well, no motivation other than I'm hungry, the kids will be hungry, DH will be hungry... so there better be something ready!

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#182 of 296 Old 02-18-2011, 12:45 PM

ok, you all will LOVE this, esp given the above conversation......

fb ads keeps giving me an ad for "faithful christian men," which completely aside from the obvious, i do have my relationship setting set to married....... 

(eta: i should indicate that the ad insinuates that these men will "share the same beliefs")

#183 of 296 Old 02-18-2011, 02:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

sardines.  YUM.  smoked oysters in a can.  double YUM.

what a miserably crappy day.  so glad it is the weekend.

Jennifer, Naturopath and mom

#184 of 296 Old 02-18-2011, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter

Wow, I sure have fallen behind here.  I've been so busy, I mostly only have time to stuff on fb when I'm doing errands, etc.  

Going in for blood tests on Sunday.  They are checking for Rheumatoid Arthritis.  I just want a definitive answer on what's going on with my body.  I feel so OLD with my painful joints.

Nothing else is really new.  Trudging along.  Waiting for Spring.  Speaking of Spring, I saw crocus coming up! It's in a spot where the direct sun hits and is one of the few places where you can see bare ground. It's not in my yard though.  I'm so tempted to shovel off most of the snow from my yard where our crocus come up...but my joints would be screaming at me.

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

#185 of 296 Old 02-18-2011, 05:44 PM

hi everyone!  Ugh it is nuts here in WI... I'm sure some of you have seen the news and wow.  This bill is truly dividing the state.  irked.gif  and even friends.  I am just hoping the situation remains civil among folks and doesn't turn nasty. 

I've been caught up in an audit effort at work and trying to maintain a sense of objectivity while evaluating the situation.  Its been a long week with looooooong hours and I just want to curl up in a bath and sleep for a week. 

Is there something going on in the universe? Seriously protests seem to be everywhere and change is afoot. 

treehugger.gifAnd you who seek to know Me, know that the seeking and yearning will avail you not, unless you know the Mystery: for if that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without.treehugger.gif

#186 of 296 Old 02-18-2011, 05:57 PM

ktg: my dh keeps reminding me that 2012 is approaching.  ergo, protests should become more frequent as people wake up and realize...

Jennifer, Naturopath and mom

#187 of 296 Old 02-18-2011, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by witchygrrl View Post Soy is so pervasive, it's disgusting. So is wheat. I'm still upset that wheat is in soy sauce, one of the few products of soy I actually do want to use. So I have to look for gluten-free soy sauce now. Ugh.  

What I want to know is who makes a soy-free soy sauce? Some "food product" company (as opposed to food company) must. Maybe a little HFCS, a little turpentine, some caramel color and artificial soy flavoring.

So I spent $100 at the natural food store buying soy-free replacement food.  I'll be bringing in all of DS's food to school for now, but he can eat their fruit & vegetables.  They are willing to check labels for me, and they've been great over his dairy allergy - but it was more of an intolerance compared to this. And they've had some recent staff changes so until that settles I'll bring it in.  Apparently he felt so crummy Wednesday it has made a big impression. One teacher set a cracker in front of him temporarily as she was passing them out to the other kids and he said "that is not my cracker, it will make me sick."  Not bad for day 2 for a 3 year old.

Liza - Bird watching, tree hugging, dirt eating, kinda-crunchy momma to my cub (3) and bird (1). treehugger.gifcold.gifdust.gifflower.gif
#188 of 296 Old 02-19-2011, 04:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by liza-s View Post

and he said "that is not my cracker, it will make me sick."  Not bad for day 2 for a 3 year old.

So lucky that he is a great communicator! 

#189 of 296 Old 02-19-2011, 05:01 AM

We actually used to make soy-free soy sauce when I suspected my daughter had a soy allergy. It didn't exactly taste like soy sauce, but it did fine in substituting in recipes for the most part. I'll see if I can find the recipe today, and if I can, I'll post it.

Partner to Rbikenew.gif ('03); Parent to T read.gif('07), Aviolin.gif ('10), and E ecbaby2.gif ('13)

femalesling.GIFhomeschool.gifchicken3.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif 

#190 of 296 Old 02-19-2011, 05:24 AM

Thanks, bluets, for all the book recs! Sounds like I'm kind of opposite of you; I tend, in a crowd, to shut up and listen and not offer any opinions at all. Except in my head. That way, I learn, and I don't get caught up in any controversy winky.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by aweynsayl View Postour farmers markets have beef jerky that's free o crap. ;-) 

i really really need to vacuum, and i really really really do not want to. but i know i'll regret it over the weekend if i dont do it now. sigh.

mainly, i'm walking around, admiring my slimmer, firmer, more contented belly region. lol!

Oh, I need to come to YOUR farmer's markets! Nom! Yeah, vacuuming...I finally dropped mine off at the vacuum store yesterday to get it serviced. It's a mess and isn't working right at all. Rock on with your belly! Yeah, I've recently discovered bones that I'd forgotten I had. My one pair of jeans is loose. I rock my last year's bathing suit! I'm so happy. I look awesome. I can't wait to lose the last 25lbs, but I'm patient. I can wait. This diet is awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by revolting View PostMy kids' birthday party is tomorrow. The baby just turned one, and my eldest is turning four.

Both at once? Wow! Happy birthdays to your littles!

Well, M is Catholic, as I've said. I have asked him on more than a few occasions if he minds if I study his religion and he said of course not. He is all about religion being a private thing. He said he'd teach me the rosary energy.gifI have one, and it's from Ireland when my mom went there. It's marcosite (I think-- no-- malachite. Whichever is the green one) with shamrocks on every bead. It's gorgeous. It had a Celtic cross with Jesus on it, but I put a Brigid's cross on there instead. M would get offended at that, and he would get offended if I had it on my rearview mirror, which I no longer do (but because it's getting fragile, not because it'd offend anyone), so I don't show it to him. But I love it, and that's what counts. I did look up online things about wearing rosaries as necklaces, and apparently that's regional or individual or whatever. It's all about personal meaning, what I found out.

I'm trying very hard not to be offensive, while still learning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by witchygrrl View PostSorry about the sardines thing. I know, I'm one of the few weirdos who actually enjoys them, thanks to my mom. I have to et them when DH is out of the house. His dad likes them, too, and we joke about having our own little sardine time, but we never actually have.

Ah well.

Oh, it's all good winky.gif I still love ya!

I had two ex's that LOVED them <barf>. I also had to leave the room while they ate them. One would eat them on saltine crackers. He took all this time to set them all up on the plate, very meticulously, before he started in. The other just ate them with a small fork, out of the container. BLECH. I am so not a sardine person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaughterOfKali View PostSpeaking of Spring, I saw crocus coming up! It's in a spot where the direct sun hits and is one of the few places where you can see bare ground.

I saw daffodil leaves coming up at ds's school yesterday!

Off to shower-- it's ds's camping trip this weekend, and I have my hoodoo workshop. DS has been one challenging PITA for several days. I hate to say it, but honestly, I can't stand to be around him sometimes anymore without his meds greensad.gif I hate it. I feel so bad. But he's utterly uncontrollable without them; he's impulse on legs and has no control over himself at ALL. And makes no effort to try. It's sad, but so freaking annoying at the same time greensad.gif

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

#191 of 296 Old 02-19-2011, 05:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiasaura View Post

...I feel so bad. But he's utterly uncontrollable without them; he's impulse on legs and has no control over himself at ALL. And makes no effort to try. It's sad, but so freaking annoying at the same time greensad.gif

I understand how that is, mama.  My son won't take meds so that's not an option for us at this time.  It wears you down. hug2.gif

#192 of 296 Old 02-19-2011, 05:57 AM

Morning.  I am in total lurk mode.  Too much going on here to get on this computer.  Thinking about all of you though.  Hope everyone is well.  (((Hugs))) if you need or want them.

Have a great day.

earth.gif lovin, treehugger.gif  veggie

#193 of 296 Old 02-19-2011, 11:28 AM

Hello!  I'm tired of lost posts on MDC lately, so I'm typing this on my textedit and will paste it into a reply - something odd is happening to text styles though - Sorry if it is hard to read :(

Liza, I'm sorry your ds is dealing with a serious allergy :-(  It *is* awesome that he can speak for himself about it.  Good for him!  From what you've said of your daycare before, it sounds like something special. I'm hoping that you can  

Good Morning to you, too, redveg!  I totally understand busy - I hope all is well with you and yours.

I had the loveliest day yesterday - spent the day with my toddler niece and nephew and my own kids - no school here and it was too cold to go anywhere.  They were all just cuddly and lovey-dovey - we made up  songs to each other, read lots of books together, built a fort, jumped on a mattress on the playroom floor, snuggled and watched a movie together.  I  spent nearly an hour playing tickle finger rhymes with the toddlers and the older children joined in - I never fully realized that those rhymes are purely all about making a connection with a child, a way of saying `I love you'. Little arms around my neck, little kisses, little boys looking into my eyes and saying "I love you, mom."  Lots of sweet memories were made.  I was thinking - Leo full moon? Leo is the sign of children, after all!  Didn't actually make it outside to see the moon - overcast and bitter cold here, anyway, but I sure felt her!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maiasaura 

I am reading about Catholicism. I ordered two Catechism books and I'm devouring them. Is there anyone besides me who doesn't see a discrepancy between Catholicism and Paganism? Except for the One-God issue? Gawd, they have candles and ritual and frankincense and lots of saints (um...gods and goddesses...) and stained glass. How can I resist? 

Yeah, what you said. 

I was brought up in protestant denominations and when I met and married a Catholic, it all seemed so very Pagan by comparison.  Actual *magic* is done at the Mass and with the sacraments every day,though they don't use that word, of course. Oh, but my Irish Protestant grandmother was *extremely* wary of the Mass. And there have been threads in Spirituality discussing the conservative Protestant anxiety over whether Catholics are even *really* Christian, a ridiculous attitude, but one  I have definitely run into.

I always craved magic and a magical view of the world, so that's what I was looking for when I committed to Catholicism and agreed to raise my children Catholic a couple of decades ago, and that's what I'm looking for in Pagan practices and beliefs now .  There is definitely a lot of magic to be found, but - yeah,what Clay said - you *don't* want to point out the obvious in company with a group of Catholics, especially those who are more into Catholicism as a faith than as a cultural heritage.

I -well, we - have an Irish marble rosary that I purchased for my dh as a gift when we were dating decades ago and even before I learned the prayers that went with it, I felt a strong connection to Mary - or my idea of Mary - through it.  I wear it discretely - under my shirt-  when I am in a time of real crisis, and it brings comfort - purely a personal decision.  I don't know any Catholics who wear rosaries - they wear crosses or crucifixes - and all the rosaries my kids bring home from school or church are too short to even go around their necks.

I  know Brigid/St. Brigid is special to you in many ways, Clay.  My Pagan/Christian Mary/Goddess image has always been Our Lady of Guadalupe, though I don't know as much about her as I would like to.

Thanks for the book list, Clay, btw - I will be looking for some of these.  

So - a course on Hoodoo?  How was it, Maia?  Please share!

Quote:

Originally Posted by _ktg_ 

hi everyone!  Ugh it is nuts here in WI... I'm sure some of you have seen the news and wow.  This bill is truly dividing the state.    and even friends.  I am just hoping the situation remains civil among folks and doesn't turn nasty. 

I wish you a smooth ride through the chaos, ktg.  We don't get much news from WI where I am, but I've looked it up - wow.  WIshing you a restful weekend!

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaughterOfKali 

Wow, I sure have fallen behind here.  I've been so busy, I mostly only have time to stuff on fb when I'm doing errands, etc.  

Going in for blood tests on Sunday.  They are checking for Rheumatoid Arthritis.  I just want a definitive answer on what's going on with my body.  I feel so OLD with my painful joints.

Nothing else is really new.  Trudging along.  Waiting for Spring.  Speaking of Spring, I saw crocus coming up! It's in a spot where the direct sun hits and is one of the few places where you can see bare ground. It's not in my yard though.  I'm so tempted to shovel off most of the snow from my yard where our crocus come up...but my joints would be screaming at me.

I hope you get the answers you need, Dok!  Hugs!

I'm envious of your crocuses - we are months away from anything growing here.  I wouldn't be wanting to  shovel the snow away, though - I always assume that the plants need the insulation of the snow until it is warm enough for it to melt. 

#194 of 296 Old 02-19-2011, 12:03 PM

Big hugs DOK... hope they find a solid answer for you!  (and I hope it's something easier to deal with than RA, but if RA it is... at least you'll know)

Maia- I think that most people will cut a lot of slack for people who are active and honest in their desire to learn more about a religion.  I think a lot of times the stuff I ran into was the result of people knowing I was an anthropologist and so looking to "correct me" or looking to sort of "shut me down" because I wasn't there as a seeker or true believer.  I'm so glad M is open to your questions!  And I bet you'll find that a lot of priests are happy to chat too (though they might not want to chat in front of others about this at first).

I also have a beloved rosary... one of my first "pagan" rituals was to tailor the traditional rosary prayers to suit my newly pagan beliefs.  It actually wasn't that hard (since the traditional rosary is lots and lots of Hail Mary, a few Our Father, and a few Glory Be... I tailored the Hail Mary and the Glory Be, replaced the Our Father with an invocation of the elements, and kept the "sets" of mysteries but swapped out the specifics... for example, you go all the way around the rosary praying while you contemplate the "joyful mysteries", then do it again for the "sorrowful mysteries" and yet again for the "glorious mysteries".  So I replaced the specific traditional mysteries with personally significant mysteries that fit the same general category description and wha-la!).  I use that particular rosary strand as my go-to pendulum and it lives on my altar... I've had it since I was 11 or 12 and I'll NEVER let it go.

soy free soy sauce?  Yoicks!  Though I have seen something called "brown sauce"?  Or was it "browning sauce"?  Sort of a salty/tangy brown liquid that would probably work as a soy sauce.  But it probably also has wheat or something else unfriendly in it.  Huh, here's a blog with a review of gluten free/soy free "soy sauce" brands!  Who knew?  (http://byebyegluten.blogspot.com/2010/01/gluten-free-soy-free-soy-sauce.html).

Snowing hard here... the wind was crazy, and apparently downtown got hit hard so the Chili Festival was moved to tomorrow.  They said an inch but we're up to about 4 or 5 with more falling fast.  So I guess we'll see what happens.  The snow plow hasn't been by at all, which is very unusual, and I'm wishing I'd done our "big shopping trip" yesterday when I had the chance.  Ah well.  We have lots of rice, eggs, beans, and canned veggies sooooo... maybe a stew?  We ended up having gfree rice noodles with peanut sauce and tofu last night.  Or maybe a lentil loaf?

mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#195 of 296 Old 02-19-2011, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by wombatclay View PostMaia- I think that most people will cut a lot of slack for people who are active and honest in their desire to learn more about a religion.  I think a lot of times the stuff I ran into was the result of people knowing I was an anthropologist and so looking to "correct me" or looking to sort of "shut me down" because I wasn't there as a seeker or true believer.  I'm so glad M is open to your questions!  And I bet you'll find that a lot of priests are happy to chat too (though they might not want to chat in front of others about this at first).

I also have a beloved rosary... one of my first "pagan" rituals was to tailor the traditional rosary prayers to suit my newly pagan beliefs.  It actually wasn't that hard (since the traditional rosary is lots and lots of Hail Mary, a few Our Father, and a few Glory Be... I tailored the Hail Mary and the Glory Be, replaced the Our Father with an invocation of the elements, and kept the "sets" of mysteries but swapped out the specifics... for example, you go all the way around the rosary praying while you contemplate the "joyful mysteries", then do it again for the "sorrowful mysteries" and yet again for the "glorious mysteries".  So I replaced the specific traditional mysteries with personally significant mysteries that fit the same general category description and wha-la!).  I use that particular rosary strand as my go-to pendulum and it lives on my altar... I've had it since I was 11 or 12 and I'll NEVER let it go.

We have lots of rice, eggs, beans, and canned veggies sooooo... maybe a stew?  We ended up having gfree rice noodles with peanut sauce and tofu last night.  Or maybe a lentil loaf?

Yeah, I've noticed that even my Pagan friends, when I mention that I'm interested in Catholicism (I thought they'd all maybe think I would spontaneously combust) are coming out and admitting that they're interested, too, or at the very least are going "cool!". Yeah, I'm glad M is open, too heartbeat.gif

Oh!! Mind sharing? I'm so not clear on this Mysteries thing, or what to pray when, at ALL. But I would love to hear your Pagan versions. Even though I can find a ton of them online. Too many choices = too confusing.

I have this "Lady's Prayer" that has almost the exact cadence of the Lord's Prayer. Someone told me once, and they were uber annoyed about it, that they didn't want cheap imitations of Christian prayers, but original Pagan ones, and why did Pagans bother making over Christian prayers. I came back with this: I'm in recovery in AA, and at many AA meetings, they end the meeting with the Lord's Prayer. It's reallyreally nice for me to have something to say that's Goddessy, and yet I can follow along saying something in the same cadence. It's an awesome answer, I think, and it shuts people like that up every time mischievous.gif

The stew sounds YUMMY! yummy.gif Hey, how about a Brownie Stew...the kids can help. When I was a very young girl, in Brownies (youngest Girl Scouts for those of you Not In The Know), on campouts, we had brownie stew. It was a big pot over the fire-- the adults browned the ground beef and onions (only obviously yours would be veg), and each Brownie got to add a can of <something>, usually veggie soup or some sort of canned veggie. Nom!

Hoodoo workshop: very cool! She said basically she called it Hoodoo because of "selling" the workshop, but it was basically about indigenous (choose your area or family or culture) folk magics that, in her particular case, is Appalachian/Scots-Irish/mountain people. A lot of it, in places, is Christian in origin, or Biblically based, but those peoples would never admit what they're doing is magic. It's about wise women, or cunning men, or people who just Do Magic and it's part of their lives but they don't Call It Anything. Make sense? And every culture has it. Every tradition has it. Every place, or area, has it. It's not about religion at all, but about practices. And then she taught us some stuff, and we did a binding (we did it together, but not a Working Together; each person did their own), and we looked at cool stuff like bottles of kinds of water and bottles of magicky stuff and all sorts of other stuff. I might do the intensive next month. I really did enjoy it orngbiggrin.gif

And now I have the whole evening to be with M, without my wild child being noisy and interrupting and it's so rare to have adult time with M. We'll cam in a little bit love.gif

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

#196 of 296 Old 02-19-2011, 02:48 PM

I'm blanking on the title, but there was this wonderful collection of "hill folk magic" I found ages ago in the university library.  Sort of a cross between a religious studies book and ond of those FoxFire books?  And one of my all time favorites is Power of Raven, Wisdom of Serpent Celtic Women's Spirituality by Noragh Jones.  Actually, if you can find it you might really like it... it looks at the merging of folk traditions, older pagan traditions, and modern christian beliefs in Scotland.

From the review:

Quote:
Through their oral culture, the communities of the highlands and islands handed down their traditions of life and spirituality from generation to generation. The womenfolk, in their many different roles, were the guardians of power and wisdom in 'seeing', healing, blessing and cursing. Noragh Jones describes the centuries-old rhythms of work, living and dying through the chants, rites and traditions kept by women. She concludes that the rifts and strains in modern society are not to be resolved by escaping to the fringes, but by our conscious efforts to recover the old and deep insights of these womenfolk in our own lives. Their qualities of hospitality and conviviality, together with their daily celebration of the ordinary, have much to teach us in our modern urban communities.

And this is the book I used for the various baby blessings and daily rituals that set me on the "kitchen witch" path of "doing it" instead of just "believing it" (if that makes sense?)

Mysteries- Ok, so a rosary or any set of prayer beads is a tool to help focus concentration and intent.  It helps you "keep track" of where you are in your devotions but the repetition of prayers also acts as a sort of mantra, shutting down the active mind and allowing access to the deeper meditative mind..  Lots of religious and spiritual paths use strings of beads and/or repetitive phrases.  In a catholic rosary, the beads are to help you keep track of specific prayers... and you say these prayers while contemplating specific "important moments" in catholic belief.  These "moments" are divided into the joyful mysteries (annunciation, visitation, birth of Jesus, presentation at the temple, finding at the temple), the sorrowful mysteries (agony in the garden, scourging, crowning with thorns, carrying the cross, death), and the glorious mysteries (resurrection, ascension, coming of the spirit, assumption of mary, coronation of mary queeen of heaven).  So the repetitive prayers put your mind into a calm/receptive/focused state... the beads let you keep track without having to "think about keeping track".... and you focus on a specific mystery for a specific period of time (as marked out by the time it takes to finish that set of prayers on the rosary).  It sounds a bit complicated, but it really isn't.  And it becomes a very soothing habit.  :)

So when I adapted the rosary to my own life, I adapted the idea behind each mystery to my own experiences/things meaningful to me.  Like, I might contemplate a miscarriage as one of my personal "sorrowful mysteries" (death) or meeting DH as a "joyful mystery" (finding at the temple).  But other things are more general or at least more general to the world at large... the Gulf Oil Spill and deforestation both often "feature" as the "agony in the garden" moment in the "sorrowful mysteries".  But fresh from the vine strawberries are frequent parts of my personal "glorious mysteries" ("coming of the spirit". or in this case, spring) LOL.  I've also pulled tarot cards or rune stones to act as the focus for a "ring around the rosary" if nothing specific comes to mind.

As for the specific prayers... they're supposed to help zone your mind out and put you in that focused meditative state so what I use may not work for you.  Keep in mind I was brought up in a very conservative catholic family and we prayed the rosary as a family and on our own several times a day.  And I do mean several.  And I was part of the rosary society at our church (gather to pray the rosary together with specific intents... oh yeah, forgot about that, the prayers put you in the zone, the mysteries tell you what to contemplate, and you can "offer" that prayer/meditative state and the time you're taking out of your life as a sacrifice to add "oomph" to requests).  So I was very used to the rosary having a specific cadence and archaic tone... so my "adaptations" were mostly to keep that cadence/tone and aren't what I would necessarily choose if I was building something from the ground up.

Hail Mary, full of grace

blessed art thou among women

and blessed be the fruit of your womb

Holy Mary, Mother of all

be with us now and in our hour of need

It's pretty close to the original, but doesn't "tweak" me the way the original now does.  I use an elemental blessing for the Our Father (you could use the Lady's Prayer... share?) and for the Glory Be I use

Glory be to heavens, and to the earth, and to the eternal sea

as it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be, world without end Amen

Again, pretty close to the original.  There are other prayers but they feature more at the very beginning and then don't show up again so I just left them off... and then at the end of the rosary is the Hail Holy Queen which I tweaked a bit to get:

Hail Holy Queen, Mother of Mercy, our guide, our sweetness and our hope!  To thee do we cry, to thee do we send up our hopes and our fears. Turn then, most gracious advocate, thine eyes of mercy toward us, and show unto us thy glory. O clement, O loving, O sweet Queen of Heaven!

Speakign of building a rosary from the ground up... the Pagan Prayer Bead book has a great suggestion for turning the Song of Amergin into a rosary set.  And another suggestion for creating prayer beads to help memorize the runes or tarot card meanings.  But if you have a catholic rosary (I'm assuming a standard 10 decade rosary, not a complete 30 decade rosary or a single decade finger/wrist rosary) then it may be easier to just go with that format.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

One of our storage sheds collapsed under the snow!  Well, sort of.  The ridgebeam bent and the metal sides bowed out.  ARGH!

#197 of 296 Old 02-20-2011, 11:35 AM

Thanks so much, Clay, yes; that's very helpful! Although I don't know what each of those Mysteries means. M told me what the first 4 of the Joyfuls means, but then when I asked what the 5th one was, he said "I don't know"-- which means he got sick of talking about it irked.gif lol.gif So I never even got to the other ones. Yet.

The Lady's Prayer

Our Lady,

Who is the Essence of the Earth

We have called you by many names

Return now unto Your People

Speak Your Will, and it shall be done

As Above, So Below.

Please give us each moment:

Our life, light, and love.

If we have let you down,

Please forgive us and cleanse us,

According to our own willingness to forgive others.

And deliver us from Spiritual Evil

For You are the Goddess,

Queen of the Universe,

Yours is the Power,

the Grace, the Wisdom, and the Beauty

Ages unto Ages

Ah-Main.

#198 of 296 Old 02-20-2011, 01:30 PM

Thanks for sharing these prayers!

I'm wondering what meditation/prayer practices all of you do with your children?

I must  have about 5 or 6 prayer spaces scattered around the house.  The one I use most regularly with the children is a  beeswax candle in a dish of crystals and special stones that I keep in the playroom. I sit in a circle with the children and invite each of them to take turns saying a prayer of their choice and then blowing out the candle.  Usually it is a blessing for having a good day together or for an absent family member - a brother at school, a dad at work. Then we handle and play gently with the crystals in the dish. I teach the children what the stones are, but not anything about their new agey or magical properties.  My 4.5  yr old is *really* into this ritual.  He has his own box of crystals and he swaps them back and forth from the ones in my dish - he took the malachite and traded me back a white quartz point just yesterday. Then, when we are all home at dinner time, my dh says the Catholic grace that he said as a child. 

My youngest has been talking about the divine a LOT lately, saying stuff out of his own head that certainly hasn't been part of his spiritual education, probably imaginatively extrapolated from the background influences in his life. His older sibs have been in Catholic programs but he's too young to be in them, and for various reasons, we have not been regular churchgoers over the past year.   I don't talk about the names of Gods/Goddesses, much - haven't figured out for sure how to articulate what I believe.  I do stand up for keeping an open mind, and we put milk out for the fairies occasionally and do other fun/folk magic things.  I sure don't tell my kids what to believe. I know ds2 is Imaginative with a capital I but even so, he has been making me do a lot of doubletakes lately.  

For example, he crawled in bed with us in the middle of the night last night and woke me up today to tell me this: "Before I was borned out of your stomach, I was in God's stomach.  She has room for all the people who aren't borned yet.  I was waiting for you and dad to be borned and to be grownups.  It tickled me being in God's stomach.  His stomach is bigger than Santa Claus!"  Makes me wonder what he was dreaming about.

Later on this morning it was "When people hurt, God feels it.  When I have a tummyache, She has a tummyache, too. But He doesn't feel it exactly the way I do when I have a tummyache, She just knows when people have tummyaches."

He *always* pretty much perfectly alternates female and male pronouns when he uses the word "God", which makes me a little dizzy and gives me goosebumps because certainly no one else in his life does anything like that and he never mixes up pronouns otherwise.  I do use `she' to refer to the Goddess and Mary when I use my kitchen altars, but...well, I will continue just quietly writing this stuff down and not pay too much attention  to him for it otherwise.

I should go rummaging through that Pagan homeschooling thread for picture book suggestions.  
#199 of 296 Old 02-20-2011, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter

You've all seen Goddess dolls, yes?  Well, I'm thinking of making ds a God doll.  I'm going to have him help pick the god.  Also going to sew a little pocket on the back of it to hold amulets/stones. That way, he can choose whatever stone/crystal, etc, that he feels he needs (we'll charge the stone with the sun or moonlight). The pocket will have velcro on it so that the contents don't fall out.  The whole thing will have to be handsewn because I don't have a sewing machine.

#200 of 296 Old 02-20-2011, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaughterOfKali View Post

You've all seen Goddess dolls, yes?  Well, I'm thinking of making ds a God doll.  I'm going to have him help pick the god.  Also going to sew a little pocket on the back of it to hold amulets/stones. That way, he can choose whatever stone/crystal, etc, that he feels he needs (we'll charge the stone with the sun or moonlight). The pocket will have velcro on it so that the contents don't fall out.  The whole thing will have to be handsewn because I don't have a sewing machine.

I've never seen Goddess dolls previously, but then I googled it. Awesome idea! If you make a God doll, you must post pictures!

Partner to Rbikenew.gif ('03); Parent to T read.gif('07), Aviolin.gif ('10), and E ecbaby2.gif ('13)

femalesling.GIFhomeschool.gifchicken3.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif 

#201 of 296 Old 02-20-2011, 04:28 PM

hiya Mamas!

Our computer died...still within warranty. Something in or about the motherboard pretty much exploded.

Got replaced, hubby wiped hard drive and is needing to use code to even get windows working.

Long story short-who knows how long I'll be back on, but wanted to say

I miss you all! Love you all!!

Prayers, hugs and hope to everybody, especially those in need. smile.gif

Hopefully I will be able to come back soon!

#202 of 296 Old 02-20-2011, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redveg View Post

Good morning all.

LM,  (((hugs)))

I have been running around the last 2 days and yesterday was so cold here .  I don't think it got over 17 outside and the wind was nasty.  Today I will be trying to catch up on a few things around the house and maybe getting a nap in.

I hope everyone has a great day.    For some reason I thought today was Friday?

Trade ya a few degrees?? It's 35C/95ishF here today.. and with the heat index it feels like 40c/104F  shoot me now??? *wilts*

Quote:

And what you said, about LM's situation. That's exactly what I was trying to say, but you said it better. As always smile.gif

Diet changes: sugar, YES, addiction. Nobody ever believes me, but yeah, I do full-on believe that sugar is addicting. Especially for alkies or people with alcoholism in the family. Tell you what, though, the farther away from it, the easier. Nobody knows better than me! I still LURVE it, but it's a lot easier to say No when I've been away from it for awhile. Once I have it? Ye Gods, it wants more of itself, and I can.NOT.control.it. at all.

I cannot remember what I said lol but thank you for the compliment winky.gif  The book I'm reading actually makes several comments about alcoholics being very vulnerable to sugar addiction and I can see why.  I really believe the author (and the scientists doing research of course :)  are on to something  with their theory.  Both dh & I totally notice that once we have something sugary, we NEEED more of it just a while later... it's almost like a drug addict hunting that next 'hit', srsly.  The other night we had some chocolate in the freezer, but after it was gone, I found myself prowling the pantry for something sweet!  There is no way I should have been hungry after having a good, fibre & protein filled meal!

Quote:

Are you on FB right now? Not that I need to be on the computer any more than I already am...sigh...

I am reading about Catholicism. I ordered two Catechism books and I'm devouring them. Is there anyone besides me who doesn't see a discrepancy between Catholicism and Paganism? Except for the One-God issue? Gawd, they have candles and ritual and frankincense and lots of saints (um...gods and goddesses...) and stained glass. How can I resist? I've never set foot in a Catholic church except for my father's funeral, though. He got foxhole religion when he was diagnosed with the brain cancer that killed him, and converted to Catholicism at the last minute. I saw lots of Paganism in there, though, while a bit more somber than any ritual I've ever been to. Someone said "Look for the Goddess; you'll find Her there",and sure enough there was a tiny altar off to the side, for Her. Granted, they call Her Mary, but she's the Goddess; the Mother of God all the same.

Nope you're nto the only one :P   I see a lot of similarities,  not that I'd say this to *M*  but a big part of the reason why is the assumption and incorporation of many pagan traditions, which was designed to do just this... make us see it as not being so different after all :)  I wouldn't have a problem at all with Catholicism if it weren't so anti women in regards to birth control, female clergy, and a womans biological right to choose what happens with her body... all of which comes with a heaping serving of good ole catholic guilt eyesroll.gif

Quote:

Thanks so much, Clay, yes; that's very helpful! Although I don't know what each of those Mysteries means. M told me what the first 4 of the Joyfuls means, but then when I asked what the 5th one was, he said "I don't know"-- which means he got sick of talking about it irked.gif lol.gif So I never even got to the other ones. Yet.

The Lady's Prayer

Our Lady,

Who is the Essence of the Earth

We have called you by many names

Return now unto Your People

Speak Your Will, and it shall be done

As Above, So Below.

Please give us each moment:

Our life, light, and love.

If we have let you down,

Please forgive us and cleanse us,

According to our own willingness to forgive others.

And deliver us from Spiritual Evil

For You are the Goddess,

Queen of the Universe,

Yours is the Power,

the Grace, the Wisdom, and the Beauty

Ages unto Ages

Ah-Main.

That is really lovely :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaughterOfKali View Post

Yes,  I lurve them and regularly drool over the dancing goddess dolls site lol.   Hand sewing would drive me mental though!  I'd loan you my machine if you were closer love.gif

My apologies for not being around so much,  I'm a little overwhelmed, and finding myself a bit *meh* at times.  I'm working a bit (tonight even, extra shift, goooo $ lol) and Lucas is having issues adjusting to school greensad.gif  I'm really hoping he comes around, and even that the school finally suggests evaluation if it will help him, because if I'm applying for nursing school (finally!) in July to start in March next year, I'll need the 'free day care' and relief from the responsibility of the entirety of their education. 

Ps,  our anniversary was lovely :)  We had a beautiful meal at a little family rn greek restaurant that was just divine, saw a movie, picked up a few drinks and came home to relax & enjoy the peace & quiet lol.

PSS,  anyone else getting the 'The story of satan' banner add at the bottom of the page? PMSL  complete with flames and scary devil face... ROTFLMAO.gif

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
#203 of 296 Old 02-20-2011, 06:41 PM

i dont see the banner ads anymore, but that sounds funny.

i have a special rosary from my first communion. i dont pray with it but it means alot to me and i will never part with it.

sugar is so hard to get over. i get cravings so bad. i drank a gallon of "lemonade", filtered water, a fresh squeezed lemon and a 1/2 cup of stevia/maltodextrin.

something bad happened today. my DH went to the hospital. he was drunker than ever and started crying and couldnt stop. i got real scared. he had me call to get him to the hospital. i am so worried for him right now. i have no idea what he is doing there. i am at home with the kids. i posted a thread somewhere about it. i feel lost. i really hope that this is his bottom, his rock bottom. i really want to hope that he will come home tomorrow not wanting to drink anymore. but i am not holding my breath. :(  

Me,DH,DS1'95, '98,DSD'03,DD1'07,DD2'09,DS2'12 Living with Fructose Malabsorption Syndrome and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome Type 3-Hypermobility.)o( and sometimes I get toif I am lucky.
#204 of 296 Old 02-20-2011, 07:00 PM

Love the idea of a god doll!  Can't wait to see it...  The girls are really into a story called Imogene's Antlers and I've been imagining an antlered doll and now that has totally morphed into a horned god idea!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Maia- I'm sure if you start a thread in Spirit asking about the rosary mysteries you'll get tons of responses.  :)  The really quickie response would be:

Joyful have to do with Mary and Jesus as a young child

--annunciation: angel Gabriel tells Mary she will have a child

--visitation: pregnant Mary visits also pregnant Elizabeth and the unborn babes get to know each other

--nativity: Mary gives birth

--presentation at the temple: birth offerings are made in accordance with Jewish law (this restores Mary's cleanliness too)

--finding of the child at the temple: young Jesus wanders off, is found preaching and rebukes Mary for being upset (I must be about my father's work)

Sorrowful have to do with the death of Jesus and are kind of self evident (especially if you've seen any of the "Jesus films")

--agony in the graden: Jesus prays alone, asking that he be spared the coming ordeal

--scourging: he is whipped

--crowning with thorns: a crown is made from thorn branches and pushed onto his head

--carrying the cross: because it wasn't enough to just execute someone, that person had to carry their own cross to the execution site

--death: death

Glorious have to do with the resurrection and "what comes next" beliefs of Christianity

--resurrection: Jesus comes back and appears to Mary Magdalene and the other women, then the guys

--ascension: Jesus returns to heaven while everyone watches

--descent of the spirit: the holy spirit is sent to the apostles to bring them hope (also the ability the speak in tongues)

--assumption of Mary: Mary is taken into heaven when she is old

--coronation of Mary Queen of Heaven: once in heaven, Mary is crowned Queen (this is celebrated each May with one of my favorite childhood rituals... the little girls dress up in fancy outfits and crown all the statues of Mary with flowers while everyone sings "Queen of the Angels, Queen of the May"... not pagan at. all.  ;) )

Now go challenge M to a rosary trivia quiz... the nuns who taught our summer school program were hard core when it came to the rosary and dude, did we memorize all sorts of stuff!  And really, the power and energy you get from a room full of people praying together like that is pretty serious stuff.  I spent a summer in what was then Yugoslavia at a Marian apparition site (Medugorje which was a major life moment for me in terms of becoming pagan, probably not what my mom intended but dang... the energy there was ALL divine feminine and it really started me on a search).  Anyway, given that the rosary is "Mary's prayer" it's a common thing at apparition sites... and every evening there would be a gathering of literally thousands of people, praying the rosary together aloud in a dozen different languages.  The energy was simply unbelievable.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Total return of the Wintersmith weather here... snow snow snow and more snow.  I'm ready for spring to stay sprung!

#205 of 296 Old 02-20-2011, 09:50 PM

Ah, Jennifer, I'm so sorry.  I hope this *is* the moment that gets your dh to change.  That just sucks so much for a family to go through.  Wishing you peace and strength.

Originally Posted by wombatclay View Post
 I spent a summer in what was then Yugoslavia at a Marian apparition site (Medugorje which was a major life moment for me in terms of becoming pagan, probably not what my mom intended but dang... the energy there was ALL divine feminine and it really started me on a search).  Anyway, given that the rosary is "Mary's prayer" it's a common thing at apparition sites... and every evening there would be a gathering of literally thousands of people, praying the rosary together aloud in a dozen different languages.  The energy was simply unbelievable.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That is an amazing story, Clay. It typifies for me the power in so many Catholic traditions - not the official Church, I agree, Cari, there are doctrines that are really hard to accept - but the folk magic traditions, the Rosary and other Marian traditions - so powerful.  

ETA The god doll sounds amazing - would love to see it.  I think it will be more special/powerful if hand sewn, and a lot of the construction on something like that is just as easy to handsew imo, though it's been years since I've done that kind of thing.  

#206 of 296 Old 02-20-2011, 10:42 PM

Jennifer - grouphug.gif I hope your husband gathers the strength and determination he needs to recover.

Liza - Bird watching, tree hugging, dirt eating, kinda-crunchy momma to my cub (3) and bird (1). treehugger.gifcold.gifdust.gifflower.gif
#207 of 296 Old 02-21-2011, 05:04 AM

Lioness- thinking of you this morning!! Have you heard from dh? Sending you love as you guys go through this.

I have been in lurk mood. Not much to report. I am without a car, which isn't the end of the world, but I am annoyed with the car company, since the recall means I can't drive my car and supposedly they didn't have a rental for me. So, they are getting a rather grumpy call from me. I don't want a rental I want my car back, and if I can't get it back, I want them to use what they would have paid for a rental towards my new car. So, I hate to ask it, but being assertive isn't always my best thing, so some assertive vibes would be very helpful. I need to also negotiate with the car dealership about the price of the car I am interested in.

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#208 of 296 Old 02-21-2011, 05:31 AM

Jennifer, how are things this morning?  I hope everything is good.  Thinking of you.

Goddess dolls, I have never heard of them but going to check them out.

I hope everyone has a great day.

earth.gif lovin, treehugger.gif  veggie

#209 of 296 Old 02-21-2011, 06:03 AM - Thread Starter

Goddess dolls: http://jonirae.com/goddess-dolls/  She makes custom Goddess dolls.  She does have pets though, so keep that in mind if you are thinking of ordering.

I'm hoping ds chooses Pan for his doll.  Although, I won't try to influence him.  It will be his choice.  Not sure if I want to stuff it with cotton or synthetic. Roo has allergies (dust, wool) so I need to figure out what would be best.  Or maybe I'll choose something that would appeal to his sensory issues (beans?)  Feel free to give ideas!

#210 of 296 Old 02-21-2011, 06:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CariOfOz View Post

I'm really hoping he comes around, and even that the school finally suggests evaluation if it will help him

An evaluation would probably be very helpful.  hug2.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionessMom View Post

something bad happened today. my DH went to the hospital. he was drunker than ever and started crying and couldnt stop. i got real scared. he had me call to get him to the hospital. i am so worried for him right now. i have no idea what he is doing there. i am at home with the kids. i posted a thread somewhere about it. i feel lost. i really hope that this is his bottom, his rock bottom. i really want to hope that he will come home tomorrow not wanting to drink anymore. but i am not holding my breath. :(  

I'm sorry.  I can't imagine having to deal with an alcoholic spouse.  I was dating someone and found out he was an alcoholic (he wasn't even at the point of admitting it even though he drank every single day).  I couldn't handle it after just a few months.  

You are a very strong woman.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page