February Pagan Circle - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 296 Old 02-01-2011, 04:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

New month is here.  Can't believe I'm actually starting the February thread!

Happy February to all.  Be safe and Be Happy.

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

#2 of 296 Old 02-01-2011, 04:43 AM - Thread Starter

Maia- We can't do propane in an apartment.  I don't think there's a need to fill the bathtub, etc.  Things should be back to normal by Thursday.

The only thing I worry about is losing electricity (in regards to heat.)

Thanks for being concerned.  love.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maiasaura View Post

DOK, I feel for ya-- if you can get storage water, I would. I hear they are asking people who can leave the state, to do so. I hope you and Roo stay warm and safe. Make sure you have some propane or something to heat food with, and fill the bathtub, and all that. I'm sure you've lived in MA long enough to know the drill. Be safe.

#3 of 296 Old 02-01-2011, 04:45 AM

Thank goodness, new month! Hopefully February is better than January was!

bellycast.gifI am the Goddess, I am the Mother, all acts of love and pleasure are my rituals.dust.gif
#4 of 296 Old 02-01-2011, 05:59 AM

I'm back!!! We've been having internet issues, lately, so I missed a lot of the last thread. Hopefully, it'll all be resolved soon. Plus, we have major sickies over here. First my son, then my daughter. We were supposed to have a weaning party for my daughter on Imbolc, but now she has the flu. We'll reschedule it, but I thought it would be special to have it on Imbolc.

Major snow on its way here! I say six more weeks of winter!

Partner to Rbikenew.gif ('03); Parent to T read.gif('07), Aviolin.gif ('10), and E ecbaby2.gif ('13)

femalesling.GIFhomeschool.gifchicken3.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif 

#5 of 296 Old 02-01-2011, 06:26 AM

joy.gifFebruary! treehugger.gif

Hope everyone who might be effected by the storm is hunkered down cozy and safe.

May this be a lovely month bursting with love and friendship!

dust.gifloving magick mama to DD(7) flower.gif and DS (5) Bolt.gifLife partner DP blueman.gif  earth.gif )0( treehugger.gif
#6 of 296 Old 02-01-2011, 07:01 AM

I'm at work still, and I have a meeting at noon, but then I get to go home. Hopefully, my school will cancel tomorrow so I don't have to feel bad about not coming in. Many of the area schools are letting out early to beat the worst of it, including my DH's.

I can't believe it's February. It's my DD's half birthday today. I can't believe she is 2 1/2!  A blessed Imbolc everyone!

Come ponder with me about food!
#7 of 296 Old 02-01-2011, 07:03 AM

So far, so good weather wise. Tonight into tomorrow is what I am concerned about. I am going to fill some jugs just in case. Of course, if we lose power there isn't much we can do, but we should have heat.

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#8 of 296 Old 02-01-2011, 07:08 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Happy February!  Imbolc, the lunar New Year, and my sweet boy's birthday, and that is only the first 3 days of the month!  

Hope all you Easterners are safe and warm.

Hugs sweetsunshine! I hope with you that February is a better month.

Hi revolting!  Sorry you and yours've been unwell.

I have some cream to skim and some cupcakes to bake.  And my new course arrived and I can't wait to dive in.  I don't officially start till the 15th, so I have a great chance to get ahead.  I have till mid-June to finish and I want to be done by Beltane - now there's a resolution for you!

I am not taking my youngest son with me when I volunteer at his brother and sister's youth program tomorrow night. It has worked out up till now but there was a clown as part of the program last week and he laughed and  just vibrated non-stop for the first half of the program and then melted down in full blown wailing when he didn't get picked to assist with a magic trick.  I forgot that he was a clown for Halloween.  I guess the excitement of seeing a(nother) real live clown put him over the top? He was VERY disruptive bag.gif and I don't want to put any of us through that again.  I hope dh will be available to stay home with him.

#9 of 296 Old 02-01-2011, 07:38 AM

Well, we survived the first part of the storm.  PArt 2 is approaching soon - and is likely to be much much worse just looking at all the colors on the moving weather map.  We declared our own snow day (The joys of not teaching).  I emailed our research staff and suggested they use common sense when they were contemplating their plans for the day.  It's slick out there.  I've heard that the main roads are ok but parking lots are skating rinks - as is our own road.  I haven't heard the usual traffic today.  And just a few minutes ago, I got word that our daycare/kindergarten was closing at noon.

Aubergine - in what program are you enrolled?

Stay cozy, warm and dry!

Jennifer, Naturopath and mom

#10 of 296 Old 02-01-2011, 08:55 AM

Yay for a new month!

No snow up here... but I'm stuck at home anyway: kidney stone again.  I'm doing everything I can to avoid a trip to the ER...

No celebration for us... I'm not able to stand long enough to cook or anything... Might celebrate later when I feel better.

I'm trying to find Gluten-Free Tamari... there's only regular Soya Sauce at the grocery stores... Might call a friend to see if I can borrow some of hers till I find it. Chineese New Year calls for a nice styr-fry and fried rice!

Valérie   
#11 of 296 Old 02-01-2011, 09:04 AM

ooh Val that sounds like a great idea for the chinese new year! 

Hip Hip Hooray for February!  January is closed in my book - thank you very much. :D

We're bracing for blizzard conditions here... already shovled out 6" this morning and we're expecting at least another foot today, possibly 2.   We're stocked up and crossing our fingers for the power to stay on while this goes down.  Schools are closed for tomorrow and now its a waiting game to see if my work will be cancelled too.   Even if its not - I might just take a day to avoid driving & going out in that insanity.

Sunshine - I didn't get to comment sooner, but *hugs* m'dear as that is a tough loss.  I hope you find peace and your friend finds peace with her decision as I am like you - I wish for friendships, love and etc to transcend differences.  Seriously why can't we all just love each other for all our uniquenesses (i'm not sure that is a word...).

ahhh time to switch to a cup of tea since my coffee is out. ...

treehugger.gifAnd you who seek to know Me, know that the seeking and yearning will avail you not, unless you know the Mystery: for if that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without.treehugger.gif

#12 of 296 Old 02-01-2011, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by liza-s View PostSunshine - I lost a friend, over 6 years ago. It really hurt. Different circumstances, but she was my best friend, had been for 10 years...at the time, she was really my only friend beyond acquaintance.  We've actually just re-acquainted through FB, and the pain is still there, but it is nice to have a casual "Hiya."  I'm sorry you have to go through this, but as the raw hurt heals it will appear that it is better to sever the relationship than let it whither in disrespect.  At least that gives you something to return to if she chooses.

I had forgotten. I lost a friend, too-- back when I was about 2 years sober, I clicked immediately with this woman in AA. She and I were the same age, liked the same music, movies, laughed non-stop. Differences: she was Christian, and I'm Pagan, also, she was HUGELY depressed, so much so that she was on med roulette all the time, and crying all the time. One day I noticed she was always seeming to be "busy" when I called, and she hadn't called me in awhile. I asked her about it at a meeting, but she just said she'd been busy. That kept going on, and going on, till finally I had to face facts that she was dissing me completely. I broke down and cried, at the end of a meeting one time, and asked her PLEASE won't you tell me what's going on? And she didn't. I never did find an answer. The only thing I could figure out was, she'd gotten this hardcore bootcamp rigid sponsor, and was working the steps really closely with her, and the sponsor told her not to hang with me because I'm a bad influence. Or something. That was 14 years ago and I never did find out. But I was heartbroken for a long, long time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valerie.Qc View PostNo snow up here... but I'm stuck at home anyway: kidney stone again.  I'm doing everything I can to avoid a trip to the ER...

I'm trying to find Gluten-Free Tamari... there's only regular Soya Sauce at the grocery stores... Might call a friend to see if I can borrow some of hers till I find it. Chineese New Year calls for a nice styr-fry and fried rice!

Oh no, Valerie!! Ye Gods, I hope you pass it without much discomfort. I hear those are the worst next to childbirth. Hugs, and try to rest, hon.

Gluten-free tamari-- I guess that would be the same as wheat-free? They have that all over, here. I bet you can find it online if you can't find it locally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ktg_ View Postahhh time to switch to a cup of tea since my coffee is out. ...

Say it ain't so, ktg-- I hope you mean only the cup you're drinking. Srsly, that is NOT stocking up, if you're out of coffee huh.gif lol.gif

M's cam works!!! Woohoo! He had to replace the operating system and didn't realize the cam would probably work just fine. We got to see one another last night! joy.gif Gawd, we're so disgusting...all we did was sit there and gaze at one another. Stare. Gaze. Drool. Swoon. We're so pathetic lol.gif

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

#13 of 296 Old 02-01-2011, 09:56 AM

I doubt it will pass. I tend to make pretty big stones... like 3/8" and +  No way it can go out naturally. I have a 1/2" one in my right kidney that doesn't cause any problem, it's just there. But I keep having painful stones on the left side that I get crushed by ultrasounds, get a clear X-ray, then grow a new one. greensad.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maiasaura View Post

Oh no, Valerie!! Ye Gods, I hope you pass it without much discomfort. I hear those are the worst next to childbirth. Hugs, and try to rest, hon.

Gluten-free tamari-- I guess that would be the same as wheat-free? They have that all over, here. I bet you can find it online if you can't find it locally.

Valérie   
#14 of 296 Old 02-01-2011, 10:03 AM

Quote:
No snow up here... but I'm stuck at home anyway: kidney stone again.  I'm doing everything I can to avoid a trip to the ER...

Ouchy! I am so sorry. I hope that is cleared up asap.

So happy it's Feb already. I see the first flowers outside.

I think I might cry if there was snow now. It's sunny clear and cold here today.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
#15 of 296 Old 02-01-2011, 10:09 AM

February, so glad your here!!!

I was hiding out the last few days of January, so over that month and all this snow and yucky Winter weather has me down. 

I hope everyone who is in this storms path is safe and stocked up.

I hope everyone had a great weekend, hugs if you didn't.

Today I am taking care of a sick DD and a sick pig:(  DD needs plenty of fluids, pig needs a shot.  Life on the farm!

Have a good day.

earth.gif lovin, treehugger.gif  veggie

#16 of 296 Old 02-01-2011, 11:34 AM

feb, really? what happened to jan. man time is flying.

so happy to be living someplace that in minus the snow. lol it is cool here today... in the 50's.

dh took the boys out for a hike, so it is just me and my little girl. :) she is so alert today, just looking around and checking things out. so darn cute. i am totally in love.

dh goes back to work on thursday... waaaah. it has been so nice having him home. i am gonna miss my breakfast in bed every morning.

everyone in snowy land be safe. and everyone dealing with yuckiness get well.

h

mama to 6 amazing children joy.gif married to my main man for 21 years love.gif and finally home FULL time dishes.gifhang.gifknit.gif

#17 of 296 Old 02-01-2011, 12:37 PM

squeee! happy february!

may it bring brightness and healing and health and happiness and flowers and wonderful things!

~*~

#18 of 296 Old 02-01-2011, 01:03 PM

Yay Hurray It's Feb-ru-aR-AY!

We have a moderate smack down of snow thanks to "storm part one"... more coming.  The roads are horrible and they're asking non-essential driving be avoided.  So of course I either need to change our Imbolc meal or make the grocery store "essential".  LOL  Though honestly, what I'd really like is dinner out at the china buffet.  MMMmmmmm.... dumplings!  And hey, dumplings are even kind of Imbolc-ish since they're "hiding" veggies under a "snowy white" cover right?

Wheat-free isn't always gluten-free... it's a bit annoying since wheat is now one of the allergens that has to be listed on labels and relatives/friends often assume that it's okay for dd1 as long as there's no wheat.  It seems like barley/malt is a much more common "hidden" gluten.  It seems to be in all sorts of food you'd never think of... like, most crisped rice has malt.  So crispy rice cereals or chocolate bars with crisped rice have gluten.  Not fair!  lol  San-J makes a nice organic tamari that is gluten free.  They used to have it at Wegmans but recently I've only found it at the co-op.  It's a well known brand though so it may be around!

Sunshine- big hugs.  I'm sure the relationship was more to her than "just religion", just like it was (is) more than that for you.  I'm sure she didn't make this decision lightly, and maybe she's even hoping that her actions will "bring you back to the fold".... not a lot of comfort I know, but maybe, with time, the two of you will reconnect.  She has probably heard a lot of not-entirely-accurate info about pagans and it may take a long time for her to accept that she has been close to one.  Sort of like any "coming out"... some people need a loooooooong time to realize that there aren't cooties or guilt by association or anything.

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#19 of 296 Old 02-01-2011, 01:06 PM

Witchy- Happy Birthday to your DD!

Val- ow, hon, ouch!

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#20 of 296 Old 02-01-2011, 01:51 PM

Hello everyone, it's a long time ( months) since I joined this group and introduced myself as a newbie. I am happy to say that we are well and truly on our way down this wonderful Pagan path and I am just so grateful that we are. We have met lots of Pagan friends and I'm really connecting with the Wiccan Path.

Imbolc is bringing us thoughts and indications of a significant change in our lives. I have lived in Canada for 14 years and now we are debating a move back home to the UK. It makes no sense whatsoever in terms of finances, employment etc but does so on an intuitive level ( family especially). Still,  I'm completely nervous about finding new friends and starting over....

Happy February!

#21 of 296 Old 02-01-2011, 03:19 PM

Thanks everyone for the hugs and understanding. I'm still pretty much in shock about my former bff. I also found out yesterday that my mom finally "broke the news" to my dad. Apparently he hasn't really had much reaction yet. My cousin said he seems in shock and worried if I am ok. Better than the furious response I received from my mom and (now ex) bff, and that I expected from him. We shall see what comes about. The rumors are spreading back home and I can see the time to become fully "out of the broom closet" is quickly coming. Right now I am trying to focus on tomorrow's ceremony. I need to prepare a little bundle of things from my past that I want to throw in the fire, symbolizing that I don't need to hold onto the pain they carry and I am letting them go. I haven't slept really for three days and have felt sick when I tried to eat, so I am hoping to eat and sleep well tonite. Fortunately this storm has given me tomorrow off from work. I also have Thursday off! Yay!

bellycast.gifI am the Goddess, I am the Mother, all acts of love and pleasure are my rituals.dust.gif
#22 of 296 Old 02-01-2011, 03:41 PM

Hugs for sure. I half expect many people not to "get it" but when it's a close friend of family member AND they sever ties, ughhh. How sad. Hang in there! To thine own self be true, and stuff like that. flowersforyou.gif

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
#23 of 296 Old 02-01-2011, 03:52 PM

Thanks, mama!

#24 of 296 Old 02-01-2011, 04:37 PM

sweetsunshine, here's hoping that the ritual helps you find some clsure and peace, and readies you to move on!

I wish I understood why people have to freak out over something so personal as spiritual/religious beliefs. Many hugs to you.

Come ponder with me about food!
#25 of 296 Old 02-01-2011, 04:39 PM

Thanks, witchy. I asked Margot Adler about it and she posted this quote.

I think you have to understand why people like your friend are saying what they are saying. It has nothing, nothing to do with you. Here is an amazing quote from Carpe Jugulum by Terry Prachett, and I think if you think that your friend and your mother and father have this flame that the Witch Granny Westherwax is talking about in this book, you will have some insight. In this passage, the witch is talking to a priest about God. What would it mean if you really believed your God was real:

“Now if I’d had seen him, really there, really alive it’d be in me like a fever. If I thought there was some god who really did care two hoots about people, who watched ‘em like a father and really cared for ‘em like a mother,…well, you wouldn’t catch me sayin’ things like ‘there are two sides to every question’ and ‘we must respect other people’s beliefs.’ You wouldn’t find me being gen’rally nice in the hope that it’d turn out al right in the end. Not if that flame was burning in me like an unforgivin’ sword. And I did say burnin’, Mr. Oats, ‘cos that’s what it’d be. You say that you people don’t burn folk and sacrifice people anymore, but that’s what true faith would mean, y’see. Sacrificin’ your own life, one day at a time, to the flame, declarin’ the truth of it, workin’ for it, breathin’ the soul of it. That’s religion. Anything else is just…is just bein’ nice. And a way of keepin’ in touch with the neighbors.”

#26 of 296 Old 02-01-2011, 04:58 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Mmm, I have lamb for tonight and potatoes and some sweet little asparagus from the local co-op. Yay for Feb. !

Sorry for those you in stormy places. Here in Oregon it is sunny, windy and cold. Not our usual rainy and 50F .

#27 of 296 Old 02-01-2011, 05:43 PM

i think i might have to put a hold on imbolc. lol i have no energy for it. when we lived in tucson i would plant our tomatoes on the 2nd. maybe i will be able to get a few plants in the ground in the next week or so... or not. lol

dh picked up a vhs player at the goodwill today. watched our wedding video... goodnight we were so young! 20 years in just a couple of months. 

h

mama to 6 amazing children joy.gif married to my main man for 21 years love.gif and finally home FULL time dishes.gifhang.gifknit.gif

#28 of 296 Old 02-01-2011, 05:57 PM

MO3: why not do your imbolc activities on the full moon instead?  that buys you almost 2 weeks of recovery and rest (and planning) time :)

sunshine: blessings to you for a fulfilling ritual!

i did a variation of an imbolc soup - no leeks so i used the last 1/2 onion in the house, some bok choy, meatballs, lamb broth (by accident and which i'm not enamored with), veggie broth, diced canned fire-roasted tomatoes.  i made a GF variation of Irish Soda Bread crossed with Kiva Rose's Golden Flax bread - flax meal and almond flour, a smudge of caraway seeds, a small handful of raisins, egg to bind it all together.  the soup was ... edible.  the bread was... missing something.

daycare/kindergarten is officially closed tomorrow.  so.... SNOW DAY!  again.  kindergarten teacher has promised homework.  yay!  we need something different to keep this very energetic kindergartener-clone trooper-lego builder boy busy, especially when it will be bone-chilling cold tomorrow too.

Jennifer, Naturopath and mom

#29 of 296 Old 02-02-2011, 05:00 AM - Thread Starter

School is closed for us today (thank goodness. Was NOT happy that they didn't close yesterday.)

My mother was supposed to move yesterday but driving was awful so we had to turn around and go back to my house.  She'll have to wait until Thursday or Friday.

Still waiting for ds's school to contact me with a new date for the Team Meeting. 

We are drowning in medical appointments.  Roo is going to miss a LOT of school this month due to his appointments (with these med appts, you get what you get... You can't tell them what works best for you.  It's 'take it or leave it.'

Welcome to all the new members on this thread!

Hugs to those who are going through a hard time or are sick/have sick kiddo's.

#30 of 296 Old 02-02-2011, 05:24 AM

Didn't get much by us, though the ice was bad. Hubby said the road seemed ok.

Sweetsunshine- thinking of you!

Happy Brigid's  Day!- We had cinnamon rolls- It seemed fitting. I am planning roast chicken for tonight. It wasn't what I had planned, but weather didn't allow me to get the ingredients I needed, so alas, roast chicken and veggies it is.

I was also planning to clean the hearth today, but hubby did that Sunday night. So, kind of "eh" for a ritual. Incense and a cleanse will have to do.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page