Christians: Looking for a 'family verse' - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 02-01-2011, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am trying to bring more scripture into my family's daily life and I have a little spot where I'd like to put a verse where we'll see it every day.  I'd love to have a "family verse" in the way that some people have "life verses"...  or maybe a few in rotation.

I know I can pray and search for some on my own, but I was curious to see what verses other families held close to their hearts.  Please share!

Pregnant and/or Breastfeeding since 2005
Mama to two girls: 5/06 and 3/09
#2 of 6 Old 02-01-2011, 08:02 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

1 Tim 4:12- Let no man despise thy youth: but be thou an example of the faithful in word, in conversation, in charity, in faith, in chastity.

2 Cor 12:9- And he said to me: My grace is sufficient for thee; for power is made perfect in infirmity. Gladly therefore will I glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may dwell in me.

1 Cor 13: 1-3If I speak with the tongues of men, and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal. And if I should have prophecy and should know all mysteries, and all knowledge, and if I should have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing. And if I should distribute all my goods to feed the poor, and if I should deliver my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing.

Proud Catholic (30) and mama to V (10)
#3 of 6 Old 02-01-2011, 08:13 PM

We used this one in our wedding, but I think it's quite applicable to families

"Love each other with genuine affection, and take delight in honoring each other." -Romans 12:10 NLV version

I also like this one for families

" 1 Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right. 2“Honor your father and mother,” which is the first commandment with promise: 3“that it may be well with you and you may live long on the earth.”[a]
4 And you, fathers, do not provoke your children to wrath, but bring them up in the training and admonition of the Lord."

Ephesians 6:1-4

#4 of 6 Old 02-01-2011, 11:01 PM

One way to bring more scripture into your life (or family life) is to use the Lectionary. There is one online here,  http://lectionary.library.vanderbilt.edu/ which gives the readings for every Sunday (Old Testament, Psalm, New Testament, & Gospel).

There will usually be at least something in the weekly readings that you might want to post or share w/ your family.

-----

Here are some of my favorites:

"There is  neither Greek no Jew, there is neither bonmd nor free, there is neither male nor female, for all are one in Christ Jesus"

- Galatians 3:28

The Beatitudes: (Matthew 5:3-12)

5:3 "Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

5:4 "Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted.

5:5 "Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth.

5:6 "Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled.

5:7 "Blessed are the merciful, for they will receive mercy.

5:8 "Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God.

5:9 "Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God.

5:10 "Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness' sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

5:11 "Blessed are you when people revile you and persecute you and utter all kinds of evil against you falsely on my account.

5:12 Rejoice and be glad, for your reward is great in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you."

---------

Well, it's not quite scripture, but I like this benediction, which I think is common among Presbyterians

"Go out into the world in peace;

Have courage; hold on to what is good;

Return no one evil for evil;

Strengthen the fainthearted;

Support the weak;

Help the suffering;

Honor all people;

love and serve the Lord, rejoicing in the power of the Holy Spirit."

I also like this collect  from the Book of Common Prayer (3rd week of Lent)

"Almighty God, you know that we have no power in ourselves to help ourselves: Keep us both outwardly in our bodies and inwardly in our souls, that we may be defended from all adversities which may happen to the body, and from all evil thoughts which may assault and hurt the soul; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever.  Amen."

#5 of 6 Old 02-02-2011, 04:59 AM

1 John 4:7,8

Beloved, let us love one another.  For love is of God, and everyone that loveth is born of God, and knoweth God.  He that loveth not, knoweth not God, for God is love. 

Also Galatians 5--the fruit of the spirit.

#6 of 6 Old 02-02-2011, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for sharing!  I still haven't decided which verses to put up, but I am enjoying the process of finding them!

Pregnant and/or Breastfeeding since 2005
Mama to two girls: 5/06 and 3/09

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page