Traditional Catholic Moms Spring/Summer 2011 - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#181 of 293 Old 07-16-2011, 06:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Thanks for this idea!

And you are right about the crunchy & conservative deal part...

Having said that, a long time ago I read a book, where the guy mentioned that he & his family were as crunchy as you can get. And they

had an amazing love for the TLM/EF & everything orthodox. He even interviewed some orthodox Jews in Massachusetts that were also

into being crunchy,etc. So, he sorta of hinted that you could be both. And I looked up where he lived, he was in New York, but later moved

to Texas. It had some great info. & a bit funny too.

I wish I could find a place that had a strong Latin Mass community, a community feel, yet with a natural family, crunchy vibe to it!

And I am not crazy about Texas or the Texas heat...And New York City is a bit too expensive, even though it has so many activities for

homeschoolers!  Ithaca New York has amazing activites for homeschoolers, they have the local University sponsor free homeschooling field trips/classes at the University(small experiments,etc.) A really neat & unique thing, but way too liberal of an area, NO Latin Mass that I know of...

And it seems that unless you can have the FSSP, or the Institute Christ the King in the area, you will not have Daily Latin Mass, etc.

And I really want daily Latin Mass, at least every Sunday & days of obligation.

Please keep the ideas flowing/coming, it all helps to be able to sort it out.

Blessings & Peace to all of you! 

Thank you for all of your help!

ote:

Originally Posted by LessTraveledBy View Post

Wisconsin has the Institute of Christ the King in quite a few places, at least Green Bay and Wausau come to mind. If you check their website, you will see all the locations. Not very crunchy, but I think you just can't really have conservative and crunchy in the same place. I do think, though, that wherever you have TLM people, you will also find some homeschoolers.

#182 of 293 Old 07-17-2011, 10:58 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We are part of the Cathedral parish in Madison (definately crunchy and kind of liberal) but the parish is pretty conservative.  There are plenty of big families and a latin mass (I can't remember if its only Sunday and Holidays or daily).  There is also perpetual adoration at the Holy Redeemer church of the parish.  The Cathedral actually burned down so the parish is two smaller churches.  There's a wonderful community and at least three specificially Catholic homeschool groups in the Madison area (my little one is only two so we're still figuring this part out).  There are also several good Catholic schools.  The bishop often attends mass.  The msgr. gives somewhat long but good homilies.  We go to the eleven o'clock mass which isn't the latin mass but we enjoy the community.  Crunchy and conserative can go together.

homesteading, homeschooling,homebirthing wife to an amazing Catholic man, and mother to our two little girls :01/09 and 07/11
#183 of 293 Old 07-17-2011, 04:14 PM

I hope everyone had a nice Sunday. I just wanted to share that I was sitting in church waiting for mass to start this morning that I it just hit me that I still can't believe I really am Catholic. It just blows me away sometimes. It took me 4 years and a bunch of ups and downs. Sometimes I feel like I can't believe it actually happened and that I got baptized and confirmed. I actually can go up to the altar rail with everyone else and kneel to receive Jesus. It's a miracle. Really. I look back at who I was and what I believed 5-6 years ago and I can't believe I'm here.

Anyway, just had to say that.

On another note, does anyone know of place online that sells nice quality Catholic charms for charm bracelets? 

CherryBomb and Midwesterner04 like this.
#184 of 293 Old 07-17-2011, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter

I don't really know about PA homeschooling laws, as I have to work full time to support Viv and I, so she attends the local public school.  I wish I had an answer for you, though!

Try posting in Homeschooling or Find Your Tribe for PA homeschool laws

Proud Catholic (30) and mama to V (10)
#185 of 293 Old 07-18-2011, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryangels View Post

I was wondering if anyone here is either from Wisconsin, Michigan, Idaho, Colorado, Minnesota, Montana or New England area? 

And do you have access to the TLM/EF Mass in Latin?  

You probably aren't going to find a lot of TLM communities and/or Masses in New England.  It's generally a pretty crunchy area (also very liberal); but the Northeast in general is experiencing an increasing shortage of priests, coupled with a declining membership of Catholic parishoners. There are lots of parish closings/mergers going on right now. I'm in a pretty large diocese in NY, and I think there is one TLM offered on a "regular" basis (can't remember if it's once/week or once/month).

The Ann Arbor and Flushing areas in MI are known for tightly-knit "communities" stemming from The Franciscan University of Steubenville.  Be warned, though, that they have a reputation for being cultish in nature.  I personally know a priest who was involved in one such community.

I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ. 

Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi 

#186 of 293 Old 07-18-2011, 02:37 PM

I live in MA, and while this is not a parish, this is where I attend the TLM. It is a monastery open to the public. I wouldn't say this is a heavily traditional area, heavlly Catholic, yes, but not very traditional. There are a lot of families at the monastery, they run a school and a summer camp, so community is definitely a possibility. And there is a homeschooling group too.

I do know (from having previously homeschooled) that the laws in PA are very strict regarding homeschooling.

Arduinna, that is so fantastic! I feel the same way, even though I am a cradle Catholic. I left the Church for a loooooooong time and am only back for a few years. I feel so blessed!

Catherinepraying.gif traditional Catholic mama to bikenew.gifjammin.gifdiaper.gif wife to an amazing man.selectivevax.gifnocirc.giffamilybed1.gif

#187 of 293 Old 07-20-2011, 06:11 AM

Hi CA-

My daughter takes Suzuki style lessons from a woman named Allison Edberg, who's lead violinst for the Indianapolis Baroque Orchestra.  She takes lessons once a week (usually, Allison travels to perform so sometimes she goes a couple weeks between lessons).  The kids she teaches are Lafayette String School and they do have opportunities to play with other children occasionally.  It's $20 a lesson and I'm very happy with it, I just wish dd would be better about practicing every day.

I actually live about 45 minutes from Lafayette, but over there there's a pretty strong Catholic community.  TLM is offered once a month, but attendance is pretty weak.  My area is generally very safe, Lafayette has had a large influx of unemployed people from Chicago in recent years and the crime rate has gone up pretty dramatically.  I wouldn't necessarily call it unsafe, but there are areas I avoid.  Unemployment numbers are okay.

Quote:

Hi CheeryBomb,

I noticed that you have a child that plays the violin. Do they go to a Classical music school, or do they have a tutor, or are they going to Suzuki?

How many times a week does your child get tutored? Do they play the violin with other children?

May I ask how much is it in your area (the classes/tutoring,etc.) Are you happy with the teacher/school?

Is there a strong Catholic community in your area?

Do you have access to the Latin Mass? Is there a strong Latin Mass community in your area?

Is it a safe area? How is the unemployment situation in your area? 

Thanks for your help!

Blessings to you & your family!

#188 of 293 Old 07-20-2011, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arduinna View Post

I hope everyone had a nice Sunday. I just wanted to share that I was sitting in church waiting for mass to start this morning that I it just hit me that I still can't believe I really am Catholic. It just blows me away sometimes. It took me 4 years and a bunch of ups and downs. Sometimes I feel like I can't believe it actually happened and that I got baptized and confirmed. I actually can go up to the altar rail with everyone else and kneel to receive Jesus. It's a miracle. Really. I look back at who I was and what I believed 5-6 years ago and I can't believe I'm here.

I totally get that.  We converted back in 2007 and still hits me sometimes how far I've come.

#189 of 293 Old 07-20-2011, 06:14 AM

CA, I know there is a parish in Indianapolis that offers TLM every Sunday.

#190 of 293 Old 07-20-2011, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hebaume39 View Post

Crunchy and conserative can go together.

Very true.  I'm not particularly crunchy, but I know many people in the area who are extremely crunchy and extremely conservative.

#191 of 293 Old 07-20-2011, 06:49 AM

I'm very crunchy and very traditional. the crunch came first, and then my spiritual journey took me to where I am now. I would say that I find the traditional community to be much more accepting of my crunchiness than the non-Catholic crunchy community is of my Catholic-ness. I'd rather be around traditional Catholics who eat at McDonalds than crunchies who can't accept my religious beliefs.

Catherinepraying.gif traditional Catholic mama to bikenew.gifjammin.gifdiaper.gif wife to an amazing man.selectivevax.gifnocirc.giffamilybed1.gif

#192 of 293 Old 07-20-2011, 07:02 AM

Thanks moonshoes and cherrybomb

#193 of 293 Old 07-20-2011, 11:09 AM

Hi, Ladies! Another orthodox Catholic here!

I think crunchy and conservative certainly can go hand in hand. Much of what people now consider "crunchy," particularly with regard to family life, is really quite traditional.

Anecdotally, I am very committed to attachment parenting and love "natural family living," which I always thought of as traditional childrearing/Christian self-giving within the family or conservative homemaking, until my DH made a lighthearted comment about my "crunch."  I still feel that both AP and much of the NFL lifestyles coexist quite naturally with Church teachings, not that people who choose differently are worse Catholics (these are personal choices and I'm not advocating a rehash of the crunchy vs mainstream Mommy Wars threads)! I'm just saying that I don't think that Catholicism, conservatism, and "crunch" ordered toward human flourishing need to be in tension.

As for places a crunchy Catholic mama can fit in, I'd give a vote to northern Indiana. There are regular TLMs in South Bend and nearby in southern Michigan, and a bit of a TLM community has built up around those liturgies. There is a lot of homeschooling, including a regional (orthodox) Catholic homeschooling group, and the diocese of Ft. Wayne-South Bend has offered special catechetical resources for homeschooling families. I haven't been to the co-Cathedral in Ft. Wayne, but the Cathedral in South Bend is staffed by theologically orthodox priests and has a vibrant congregation of young families. There are numerous community and farmers' markets (and the produce stands in the more Amish areas are great!), homebirth midwives and birth centers, and friendly smiles to nursing mothers. It is also a pretty conservative place.

ETA: PatienceAndLove, I will be praying for you, your little one, and your little one's father.

toddler.giffamilybed1.gifcd.giffemalesling.GIF  waterbirth.jpg. Can't wait to homeschool.gif.

gd.gifsigncirc1.gifwhale.gif
#194 of 293 Old 07-20-2011, 06:57 PM

Indiana is one of the states where practicing midwifery is still fairly actively prosecuted as practicing medicine without a license.  South Bend is lovely and I attended Notre Dame, but just so you know, most midwifery is still underground.

homesteading, homeschooling,homebirthing wife to an amazing Catholic man, and mother to our two little girls :01/09 and 07/11
#195 of 293 Old 07-21-2011, 11:49 AM

The northern Indiana homebirth practices I had in mind are made up of CNMs who practice legally.  I had an out-of-hospital, insurance-covered birth with a non-underground Indiana CNM and was beyond happy with the experience and know of many other moms who have experienced the same thing. That doesn't mean that Indiana doesn't have a long way to go in terms of access to normal birth and midwifery, but the situation in the northern part of the state is less grim than it is in any other place I have lived.

toddler.giffamilybed1.gifcd.giffemalesling.GIF  waterbirth.jpg. Can't wait to homeschool.gif.

gd.gifsigncirc1.gifwhale.gif
#196 of 293 Old 07-21-2011, 11:43 PM

Greetings in Christ to all!

Thank you so much for the wonderful replies regarding the TLM/EF & a Latin Mass community, natural/traditional/crunchy type living, etc.

Please keep MORE ideas from your respective areas coming! It is very helpful!

Its great! I will have to research them all & see what will be the final outcome.

I wish I could take the best from each of your areas & come up with the ideal place! winky.gif

Please keep me in your prayers, so I may do HIS WILL & what is right for our future!

I am having a hard time figuring things out...

Thank you!

Peace,

CountryAngels orngbiggrin.gif

#197 of 293 Old 07-22-2011, 08:19 AM

There is a TLM offered every Sunday at Holy Cross Traditional Catholic Church (SSPV) in Helena, MT, where I am originally from.  I never have attended, so I can't give you much more info, other than that I know several of the ladies who attend wear head-coverings in church.  There are several other places throughout the state that offer TLM (www.latinmasstimes.com/montana). 

In general, Montana is a very conservative state, however, it is not difficult to live a "crunchy" lifestyle at all, especially if you are interested in a agricultural or "outdoorsy" lifestyle.  We have moved a lot (7 times in 2 years!) and haven't yet spent enough time at any one church or community to be able to recommend one as being "crunchy AND traditional Catholic," but there is a very strong sense of community support everywhere. 

There is a lot of homeschooling done here as well, and it is seen as a very acceptable option.  With so many rural families, it is something of a necessity actually. 

I don't think the job market is quite as rich as other places, and wages are quite a bit lower here.  However, the cost of living is also lower.

Anyway, let me know if you want more info on Montana!

Wife to DH from Mexico, and mother to DD (01/10); DS (09/11); and one on the way (03 or 04/14)  buddamomimg1.png

#198 of 293 Old 07-22-2011, 09:46 AM

But SSPV are sedevacanctist, IE schismatic and don't recognize the Pope. Unlike the SSPX. 

#199 of 293 Old 07-22-2011, 11:04 AM

Same here, Arduinna and Cherry Bomb! I converted in 2005, so it's been six years now(!), but It was at least a 5 year process actively getting to the conversion point, starting around my senior year of college. And back then I had not a clue about Latin Masses or what "traditional" Catholicism might be! I was actually drawn to the Church's stance on social justice, which I felt was wrongly ignored by the evangelical churches I grew up in. I still appreciate that aspect of the Church, of course, but I had no idea of the depths of the Church's wisdom! It's a lifelong journey for sure!

#200 of 293 Old 07-22-2011, 03:24 PM

Hi Arduinna,

What a lovely post! Thank you!

A BELATED WELCOME HOME to YOU!flowersforyou.gif

It is a MIRACLE! An AMAZING MIRACLE!!!

I feel like you at times when I am at Church, how BLESSED we are! It is a lifetime journey!

May our Lord continue to bless you & your loved ones!

Blessings to you as you continue the journey!

Peace,

Countryangels

Quote:

Anyway, just had to say that.

Midwesterner04 likes this.
#201 of 293 Old 07-22-2011, 03:29 PM

Greetings in Christ!

I agree with this post! Very TRUE!!!

I would rather be around traditional Catholics!thumb.gif

Thank you for your help!

Blessings & Peace!

Countryangels!

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshoes View Post

I'm very crunchy and very traditional. the crunch came first, and then my spiritual journey took me to where I am now. I would say that I find the traditional community to be much more accepting of my crunchiness than the non-Catholic crunchy community is of my Catholic-ness. I'd rather be around traditional Catholics who eat at McDonalds than crunchies who can't accept my religious beliefs.

#202 of 293 Old 07-22-2011, 04:48 PM

Thanks heatheresc and countryangels.

#203 of 293 Old 07-25-2011, 10:33 AM

Hi mamas, 

Just wanted to check in and see how everyone is doing. Lots going on here, I've lost a few friends lately because of my pro-life work I am doing....but God is so good to me He keeps bringing wonderful people into my life to support me...

#204 of 293 Old 07-25-2011, 04:16 PM
JMJ

Quote:

But SSPV are sedevacanctist, IE schismatic and don't recognize the Pope. Unlike the SSPX. 

I don't mean to be argumentative, but there is still more murkiness in the relationship of the SSPX to Rome than I am comfortable with.  They've got some pretty messy history, and although the excommunication of the SSPX bishops has been lifted, there are still some things that need to be worked out, and there's some uncertainty as to their standing with the Church.  There are no questions that the FSSP is in line with Rome, so if I were to join one of the TLM groups, that would be the only one I would be comfortable with.

#205 of 293 Old 07-25-2011, 10:22 PM

Hi Moonshoesflowersforyou.gif

I am so sorry you have lost some friends! Especially due to your Pro-Life work! :(  That is sad. But, like my mom would say, then they probably were not your true friends to begin with.

Also remember what is in the Bible, "brother will be against brother, daughter against mother, son against father, etc." Its probably not what you want to hear, but in a way, we are being persecuted for our faith, for our values, for standing for what is right! It might not be persecution as in the time of Saint Paul, or as it happens in the Middle East today.

Offer this cross to our Lord! A lot of people I know have had similar situations but within their own families! A true sad situation! How to explain that one to children?!

But, God is always GOOD!

So, hang in there, do not give up the fight, especially for the unborn! Pray a lot! Read the Bible as much as you can & try to spend time with our Lord.

Pray for those "friends" so they may see the light one day!

I have had problems with my power/internet for a couple of days, I guess the heat!????

I will send you a private message soon! Thank you for everything!

I will be your friend!flower.gif

God Bless you & yours!

Do not let this get you down!

Take care!

In the Hearts of Jesus & Mary!  hug2.gif

Peace to all in this thread!

Countryangels

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshoes View Post

Hi mamas, 

Just wanted to check in and see how everyone is doing. Lots going on here, I've lost a few friends lately because of my pro-life work I am doing....but God is so good to me He keeps bringing wonderful people into my life to support me...

#206 of 293 Old 07-26-2011, 09:56 AM

Countryangels, in response to your question about Latin Mass communities, there is one in my area. I haven't been able to attend Mass there yet, but it is based in the chapel of the diocesan cathedral, and they have two Masses every Sunday, high and low, plus another Mass every day of the week!

http://www.hbglatinmass.com/index.html

I wouldn't call central Pennsylvania "crunchy" but there is great access to fresh vegetables, meat, and dairy from local organic farms...

#207 of 293 Old 07-28-2011, 01:24 PM

Quote:

Hi Moonshoesflowersforyou.gif

I am so sorry you have lost some friends! Especially due to your Pro-Life work! :(  That is sad. But, like my mom would say, then they probably were not your true friends to begin with.

Also remember what is in the Bible, "brother will be against brother, daughter against mother, son against father, etc." Its probably not what you want to hear, but in a way, we are being persecuted for our faith, for our values, for standing for what is right! It might not be persecution as in the time of Saint Paul, or as it happens in the Middle East today.

Offer this cross to our Lord! A lot of people I know have had similar situations but within their own families! A true sad situation! How to explain that one to children?!

But, God is always GOOD!

So, hang in there, do not give up the fight, especially for the unborn! Pray a lot! Read the Bible as much as you can & try to spend time with our Lord.

Pray for those "friends" so they may see the light one day!

I have had problems with my power/internet for a couple of days, I guess the heat!????

I will send you a private message soon! Thank you for everything!

I will be your friend!flower.gif

God Bless you & yours!

Do not let this get you down!

Take care!

In the Hearts of Jesus & Mary!  hug2.gif

Peace to all in this thread!

Countryangels

That is exactly what I needed to hear. Thank you!luxlove.gif

#208 of 293 Old 08-03-2011, 02:26 AM

Just wanted to check in with you ladies.  We are awaiting the birth of our twins, any day, and grateful to have made it 38 weeks with them, so far!  If any of you think of it, prayers for peace in these final days or weeks, and for a smooth birth - particularly a quick descent and birth for our daughter, the second twin - and minimum separation from the babies, would be greatly appreciated.

I continue to be very grateful to have converted, and to be able to join in receiving communion and taking part in the mass as an actual member of the church, as with others of you.

My church offers TLM daily, multiple masses (high and low Latin masses, and Novus Ordo in Latin and English) on Sundays, and TLM for all major holidays and holy days of obligation.  http://www.cantius.org/  There's also an Institute of Christ the King somewhere around, one or two SSPX churches, and maybe more.   Chicago isn't cheap, but certainly in our church there are very serious traditional Catholics & homeschoolers, and in the city at large, though it tends to be quite liberal, some crunchy qualities and resources certainly exist.  Midwifery is mainly, but not exclusively, practiced in hospitals, to the best of my understanding.  

P&L, I hope you are doing well, and God's plan for you and the baby is unfolding perfectly... the right parents coming to light, and all needs being met.

Julie, wife to my dearest friend reading.gif reading.gif since August 2009.  Mama to babyboy.gif Oliver & Lydia babygirl.gif, born August 2011.  Enjoying: slingtwin.gif and femalesling.GIFdh_malesling.GIFnursex2.gif 2twins.gifcd.gif, and looking forward to making baby food carrot.gif, and continuing to watch my wee ones grow  babyf.gifbabyf.gif.  

#209 of 293 Old 08-03-2011, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter

The father is fighting me on the adoption issue.  He would rather go through custody or adopt the child himself.

*sigh* Time to pray even more.

Proud Catholic (30) and mama to V (10)
#210 of 293 Old 08-03-2011, 04:46 PM
JMJ

P&L, you've got a lot of prayers coming your way.  God has a plan for this child.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page