Traditional Catholic Moms Spring/Summer 2011 - Page 9 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#241 of 293 Old 10-07-2011, 09:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMJ View Post

I would not recommend any of the saliva monitors available for charting to avoid.

Totally agree on this. TBH, I don't see the surprise in getting pregnant in the situation we are discussing. The chances normally would not have been great, but still...  I had read long ago of babies where sperm had survived about 7 days. While nursing, I personally would consider phase 1 problematic. With abstaining, I think some of the books by e.g. Gregory Popcak might be helpful. I always have to wonder if there is something going on (addictions, wrong attitudes, something) if abstaining becomes too difficult. This is not aimed at the OP, just in general. Babies are, while they are so wonderful, full of sacrifice for the parents. So is abstinence.

Our short term foster baby arrived some days ago and we are in love. Feeling very blessed---- and scared. I would appreciate prayers that God's will happen in where she will be placed.

Mama to a little lady and always praying for more.
#242 of 293 Old 10-08-2011, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LessTraveledBy View Post

Our short term foster baby arrived some days ago and we are in love. Feeling very blessed---- and scared. I would appreciate prayers that God's will happen in where she will be placed.

Glad to hear this news, LTB! Is there any chance the baby would remain with you long term? Just wondering how that situation works.

Amanda praying.gif (31), RN, BSN
Catholic wife to guitar.gif (DH 28); mommy to blahblah.gif (DD 9), jog.gif (DS 6), angel2.gif (DS 11/09), angel1.gif (3/10), angel1.gif (6/10), our rainbow1284.gif (DS 1), and a surprise baby.gif (DD)

#243 of 293 Old 10-08-2011, 09:33 AM

Quote:
With abstaining, I think some of the books by e.g. Gregory Popcak might be helpful. I always have to wonder if there is something going on (addictions, wrong attitudes, something) if abstaining becomes too difficult. This is not aimed at the OP, just in general. 

Interesting point.  I would have to say, in our situation, DH has not always had the best attitude and I have always felt pressured (not just by him but in general) to accommodate everyone's needs.  DH has been having more of a spiritual awakening since the conception of our twins and he is just responding...differently...to required abstinence this time.  Instead of being irritable and grumpy after a week or more of abstinence, he is finding it possible to still be loving and tender while being able to respect reasonable boundaries.  Maybe it's just exhaustion. ;)  But, I think for once he has recognized just how very difficult it is for me to spread myself so thin and is being mature enough to wait.  

I've been wanting to read Popcak's books for awhile.  Do you have a favorite you can recommend?

Prayers for your fostering situation!  It takes a special family to be able to do what you are doing!

Mom to eight!!  Our twin girls arrived 3-3-2011.

#244 of 293 Old 10-08-2011, 01:07 PM

Quote:

Totally agree on this. TBH, I don't see the surprise in getting pregnant in the situation we are discussing. The chances normally would not have been great, but still...  I had read long ago of babies where sperm had survived about 7 days. While nursing, I personally would consider phase 1 problematic. With abstaining, I think some of the books by e.g. Gregory Popcak might be helpful. I always have to wonder if there is something going on (addictions, wrong attitudes, something) if abstaining becomes too difficult. This is not aimed at the OP, just in general. Babies are, while they are so wonderful, full of sacrifice for the parents. So is abstinence.

I am definately not a good example of how NFP works. We have this problem above. My dh has past issues that do affect his sex drive and abstaining for him is very challenging. We usually end up obstaining about 10 days unfortunately for me it needs to be closer to 15-20. I have conceived on a dry day I have conceived 5-7 days from ovulation (those 2 are girls:)). We are really really struggling (and have for a while) for how to persue our fertility. I feel very strongly in leaving it up to God and using NFP when necessary, dh is taxed physically and emotionally and feels like such a failure in regards to abstaining. It really affects our marriage as well. We go to adoration regularly and say the rosary on this together on a regular basis and we are hoping that God will give us some direction that we both feel comfortable with.

I wanted to mention about the head covering as I was called to do so for several yrs before I finally did. There are thousands of parishiners at my parish and I am the only one that covers. No one has noticed as far as I can tell. I chose to be fairly discreet and use very wide headbands, scarfs, and sashes in a variety of colors. This is for me and how I choose to honor the lord, I don't want to stick out if at all possible. I really am grateful I made that step.

I have a few of these and a denim one as well. They work great.

As far as our babies name I think we are leaning towards arya and that will just be a variation of the saint Aurea. We are settled on a middle name (after dh's grandma) and unfortunately it is not a saints name.

Hope everyone is well.

We are in the home stretch. I am 38 wks 1 day today. baby seems to be doing well. Prayers would be much appreciated.

nicole wild.gif,  mom to 3 boys here on earth jumpers.gif 9, 7 and 4.5 and 2 girl's fly-by-nursing2.gif2.5 and 10/16/11. Always remembering my babies in heaven:  Sam (9/7/05) at 12.5 wks  angel1.gif, Morgan (2/13/06) at 6 wks angel1.gif , Emeric angel2.gif (8/9/10 at 17 wks) and Pepper angel1.gif (11/26/10) at 8wks. 

#245 of 293 Old 10-09-2011, 04:47 PM
JMJ

Congratulations on the new foster baby, LTB, and praying for you all as you go through the process of placement.

As far as the abstinence required for NFP to postpone/avoid pregnancy, I am blessed to have a husband with an amazing amount of self-control, and I realize that it would be much, much harder if my husband had any less self-control and very very difficult indeed if he pressured me at all to give in.  I think that praying for, fostering the development of, and practicing self-control in all areas of life are very important for building up that self-control.  I find personally that when I do any sort of fasting or abstaining, after an initial difficult period, it builds up my self-control in many other areas of life.  Another important thing for me is to look outside of myself, to fight against selfishness to be able to see and do what is best in the situation, not just what I want.

In the area of NFP, this involves looking at our own situation.  If we are trying to avoid pregnancy, then presumably (according to Catholic teaching), we have a very good reason to be doing so.  Most of DH's and my postponing has been because my body was in a place (either because of health problems that we were working on or breastfeeding causing a short luteal phase) that we feared that conception would result in miscarriage and felt called to get my body into a place that would allow for a healthy pregnancy before attempting to conceive.  It really helped us through some sometimes very long periods of abstinence to look outside ourselves and realize that our own selfishness could very likely result in the life and death of a child that we would never get a chance to baptize.  Even as we carefully and conservatively used the infertile periods, we had to acknowledge the fact that sex is procreative even if we are not procreating, and we would rejoice in God's wisdom if he chose to use our actions to create a child, trusting that he would make everything work out in his divine providence.  There is never, ever a time that sex is not about fertility.

Feel free to use this same idea with your own situation.  If you have made a decision that getting pregnant again at this time is not in the best interests of your family, then acknowledge that falling into selfishness is quite likely to result in doing something that you believe to be not in the best interests of your family.  Acknowledge that it is not being loving to your spouse; it is selfishness.  (I'm not referring to spouses who are giving into the demands of their husband/wife.  That is a really tricky situation, and depending on the situation, I think it may be more loving to not refuse one's spouse.)  This is the opposite of the life-giving love that we are called to as Catholics.  If you have a grave reason to avoid pregnancy, your resolve must have just as much gravity.

#246 of 293 Old 10-12-2011, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter

Hi ladies.

I just wanted to check in and let you know that I am alive, the baby is developing fine.

Still no decision yet as to what will happen once the baby is born.

You are all in my prayers.

-P&L

PS: I formally enrolled in the Transitus Oblates of the Last Martyrdom on the feast day of Our Lady of Sorrows.

Proud Catholic transtichel.gif(28) and mama to Vdust.gif (7)

#247 of 293 Old 10-12-2011, 03:05 PM
JMJ

I have a strange question (and hopefully a good laugh) for you other Catholic mamas.  My very creative 2.5 year old happened to discover a bottle of holy water and a spare toothbrush today, and when I walked in to check on her, she was sprinkling holy water on the toothbrush in attempt to brush her teeth.  After I get over being horrified/amused, any suggestions for what to do with the toothbrush in question?

#248 of 293 Old 10-12-2011, 03:51 PM

I would just wash it and not worry about it.  It's not as if it was formally blessed.  The blessing was in the water. 

(Course I am a convert and may be missing something important.)

I have a question, too.  Is anyone here gluten free?  How do you handle communion?  I just read a statement by a bishop in our state who is advising to return to communion predominately under one species and saving the chalice for special occasions,  But I am going gluten free/ dairy free to see if it will calm my IBS, and so all this is a little concerning to me.  Although, I suspect my priest would just continue both species in any respect; he's just that sort.  I'd just like to hear personal experiences.  

#249 of 293 Old 10-12-2011, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter

Contact the Bishop's office and talk to them about your gluten-free-ness.

You may be able to receive from the chalice at Communion.  However, there will be a portion of the host in the Blood so it will not be totally gluten-free.  Also, one cannot have gluten-free communion wafers, they must still contain wheat to be viable substance.

On a side-note- I would find it worrisome to have a priest that disregarded directives from the Bishop.

#250 of 293 Old 10-12-2011, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceAndLove View Post

On a side-note- I would find it worrisome to have a priest that disregarded directives from the Bishop.

Umm, yeah, I've gone round and round with this priest, but it's the only parish in the city.  Looking forward to moving in the next year hopefully.  

The note did not come from our diocesan Bishop, so it's not directly relevant at the moment, but it is not the first I've seen recently either.  

#251 of 293 Old 10-12-2011, 06:15 PM - Thread Starter

Phoenix and Madison are the only diocese I have heard of that switching back to the way it used to be, esp since the indult expired in 2005!

Sorry to hear about your priest :-(

I would say "can you go to the next town?" but I figure you have already looked into that.  Prayers for ya, and your priest!

#252 of 293 Old 10-12-2011, 06:51 PM

Our diocese neighbors the Madison diocese.  We did try a few of the closer parishes, but it is extremely hard to feel in a community with a parish you do not live close to.  We are rather involved at our own parish, dh taping Mass for shut-ins every other week and I do the parish scheduling.  But because of dh's work/school schedule, adding travel for Mass on the weekends on a regular basis is just too much.  We do make a point to attend a more traditional parish for Reconciliation as frequently as we can manage, since another of our priest's quirks is not being very committed to Reconciliation.  It's only scheduled every other week and even then is often canceled for other commitments.  He thinks confessing twice a year is plenty enough for anyone (and is the schedule he keeps).  He actually has said no one in the parish is a major sinner, so why go frequently (during First Reconciliation prep)?  This priest came in a year or so after I converted and it has been really difficult for me.  In my former evangelical life, if you don't like your pastor, you find a new church.  But our Church is bigger than this pastor, and I am enduring until God makes way for us to leave.  

#253 of 293 Old 10-13-2011, 08:02 AM

Glad to hear you're doing well, P&L! Praying for your situation.

#254 of 293 Old 10-13-2011, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylilmonkeys View Post

Our diocese neighbors the Madison diocese.  We did try a few of the closer parishes, but it is extremely hard to feel in a community with a parish you do not live close to.  We are rather involved at our own parish, dh taping Mass for shut-ins every other week and I do the parish scheduling.  But because of dh's work/school schedule, adding travel for Mass on the weekends on a regular basis is just too much.  We do make a point to attend a more traditional parish for Reconciliation as frequently as we can manage, since another of our priest's quirks is not being very committed to Reconciliation.  It's only scheduled every other week and even then is often canceled for other commitments.  He thinks confessing twice a year is plenty enough for anyone (and is the schedule he keeps).  He actually has said no one in the parish is a major sinner, so why go frequently (during First Reconciliation prep)?  This priest came in a year or so after I converted and it has been really difficult for me.  In my former evangelical life, if you don't like your pastor, you find a new church.  But our Church is bigger than this pastor, and I am enduring until God makes way for us to leave.  

I shall pray for you and for your endurance.

And good for you and your DH for sticking to your commitments with your parish, despite the issues with your pastor!

#255 of 293 Old 10-21-2011, 07:39 PM

Are there any Catholic mamas out there that are in 'limbo' for a lack of a better word about babies, having more, preventing, or just deciding?  We have 3 kids that are great but there have been some strain with me and I am not dealing with stress very well.  I fear another child joining us and at the same time I mourn not having another.  I was deciding on some more preventable birth control just this week when I hear the neighbor has a little girl and my mom calls and asks if I am pregnant...so she can tell me of the cousins that are newly prego. 

I have so many feelings going around that I can't seem to figure anything out.

Thanks for listening.

JennP

#256 of 293 Old 10-22-2011, 07:17 AM - Thread Starter

*hug*

Sorry you are in such a place.

I would recommend sticking with NFP and closely following the rules- no playing loosey goosey.  Keep praying with your husband about postponing for now. The Lord will move you when the time is right to bring a new blessing into your family.

Have you talked to your doctor about the stress you are feeling?  Is it stress or is it depression?  It's important to know either way, because treatment is different for both.  You can't be a good wife and a good mama if you aren't getting any treatment you might need.  I know that, until I started to get treatment for my depression, I was in a sorry sorry state and couldn't do the things I needed to, nor be the person I needed and wanted to be.  After finding the right medicine and getting a counselor, I was able to really start living my life.

#257 of 293 Old 10-22-2011, 08:00 AM

JennP - hug2.gifI think having three was probably the most stressful for me.  If your kids are closely spaced (mine are about every 2 years, more or less), then you are still doing so much for each of your children and they can't do much for themselves.  But, it won't be long before that oldest child will be big enough to start taking on little tasks on a regular basis.  I really encourage you to train your children to do household chores up to their capability.  If you are at all familiar with Montessori, she really emphasizes how children thrive on having useful tasks to accomplish, and they may be capable of more than you realize.  By the time #4 came around, #1 was finally able to handle fetching snacks or making a sandwich for his siblings, reading them books, entertaining them, or even sweeping up a spill.  I have always felt that raising my oldest two (B & G) is the most stressful because each new stage they go through is new to me, too.  By the time the younger ones get to those ages, I am more relaxed and familiar with what to expect and can deal with it without so much stress and drama. 

As far as birth control, I highly encourage you to reflect on the Church's teachings about why ABC is not acceptable.  There is a world of wisdom in this teaching, from the physical side effects, to the spiritual and psychological side effects.  The book "The Good News about Sex and Marriage" was helpful for us.  There is also "Theology of the Body for Beginners" and of course the primary documents of the Church, Humanae Vitae and Pope JPII's actual Theology of the Body addresses which have been collected into a volume.  Pray for the Holy Spirit's wisdom and be open to learning what a great gift and responsibility our fertility is!  

#258 of 293 Old 10-22-2011, 11:04 AM
JMJ

Hugs, JennP.  I think the call to responsible parenthood is one of the most difficult to live out.  So, we're supposed to be generous, not selfish, but so often, it is so difficult to determine what is generous and what is selfish.  We often think of having children as generous and holding back from creating more life as selfish, and that is sometimes the case, but sometimes the opposite is true.  Sometimes, it's generous to acknowledge your limits so that you can give generously or selfish to just want to hold another tiny baby or to not wish to use sexual self-control.

One thing that is abundantly clear in our Catholic faith is that we always maintain an openness to life.  We are called to try our best to discern and follow what we believe to be God's call for our family, and usually he cooperates with us, creating children with us in the fertile time and not in the infertile time, but sometimes, he has other plans for us, and we need to seek to be open to that.  Some couples struggle with unplanned pregnancies, and others struggle with infertility.  It's not all in our hands, and we shouldn't pretend that it is.

What does God want for your family?  Family planning is a part of our vocation, not something we just decide on our own.  Is God calling you to have another child?  Are there some things in your life that he is asking you to work out first?  Is he telling you that you have a lot going on right now and need to wait for some things to change before you can even consider having another child?  Is he asking you to just raise the three children that you already have, and that is all he is calling you to have?  It takes prayer and openness to try to answer these questions.  Then, it takes trust and self-control to seek to follow God's will while maintaining openness to life.  Then comes the need to be open to things changing.  You may find that God isn't calling you to have another right now, but some months or years down the road, that changes, or you may find that over time, he takes away your feelings of wanting one more and gives you more of a sense of peace with the children you have.

That is one of the great things about Natural Family Planning.  It's not doesn't have to be permanent or even long-term, and it is always open.  Your discernment is really only for right now (though you may have an overarching plan); you can always change later if you feel a call.  It's not set in stone.  If you haven't considered the Church's teaching on Natural Family Planning, I would encourage you to look into it.  I think a lot of times, our culture focuses on the negatives of NFP when there really is a lot positive about it that we don't hear about very much: health for us and any children we conceive and nurse, spiritual openness, self-control, communication between spouses, environment, and more.  It's not just the Church trying to tell us what we can and can't do, but really, our Holy Mother Church seeking our best interests in so many ways.  If you haven't ever considered it this way, I encourage you to take a look.

#259 of 293 Old 10-23-2011, 04:50 PM

Our baby girl is here!!!

Saphira Arya June!!!

10/16/11 8lbs 10 oz 20 inches long.

I am in love and so relieved although not as relaxed as I had hoped. Really really hard to trust Gods plan when it is in regards to the lives of your children.

As far as family planning dh and I have really really struggled with this. I am hoping that my breastfeeding amennoriah (sp?) will last a yr as is typical for me and give us some time. My dh has some issues (that he is aware of but not really working on) that make abstaining very challenging. Using NFP has not proven to be very good for our marriage and causes a lot of stress, etc. I absolutely will not do anything permanent to my body, it is so hard. I am hoping the lord will really speak to DH and help him with his challenges and frustrations with NFP. 

We really do have grave reason to avoid adding children to our family so it is just about figuring out how to prevent pregnancy (at least at this time). Dh is disabled so doesn't work outside the home, his work in the home is limited to how he is feeling, we have found it is the best for our family for me not to work outside of the home so that leaves very very little money to live on. Dh is exhausted and in pain which gives him very little patience and energy and we have 5 children so that is definately a challenge.  I have appreciated this thread and the support that I have gotten in the past on this matter.

nicole wild.gif,  mom to 3 boys here on earth jumpers.gif 9, 7 and 4.5 and 2 girl's fly-by-nursing2.gif2.5 and 10/16/11. Always remembering my babies in heaven:  Sam (9/7/05) at 12.5 wks  angel1.gif, Morgan (2/13/06) at 6 wks angel1.gif , Emeric angel2.gif (8/9/10 at 17 wks) and Pepper angel1.gif (11/26/10) at 8wks. 

#260 of 293 Old 10-23-2011, 09:38 PM

Just quickly asking for prayers: Our short term foster baby might be moved with parents soon, and it is not a good thing. Parents seem to have no intention of not using substances, so I think baby would be back in the system within weeks of months. Bios truly seem to think there is nothing wrong with their parenting (or lack of it). We really need a miracle here, either for the parents, or that the parents will be given the chance to make a mess of things before getting the baby, instead of with the baby. Thank you!

After years of secondary infertility, I am shocked to say that I am pregnant. I am doubtful, grateful and confused, but mainly just feel like something watching a story with interest, seeing God's plan in action. As DH put it, we might have one child next summer, or 3, depending on the pregnancy and the fostering situation.

Mama to a little lady and always praying for more.
#261 of 293 Old 10-24-2011, 07:04 AM

Congratulations, and my prayers are with your family and your little foster baby.  How incredibly difficult to have to let go to a terrible situation.

#262 of 293 Old 10-24-2011, 07:17 AM
JMJ

Congratulations on the new little one, Nicole!  Have you read Sheila Kippley's books on ecological breastfeeding?  I know a lot of AP mamas do a lot of that stuff anyway and get a year or more of breastfeeding amenorrhea, but if you haven't read them and even if you have and might like a refresher, I'd check them out for both the information and the inspiration.  I think it is an excellent way to mother, and it sounds like you could use the child spacing effects right now.

Quote:

After years of secondary infertility, I am shocked to say that I am pregnant.

Halleluia!!!  Praise the Lord!!!  Congratulations!!!!  I'll be praying for you as this story unfolds, but this itself is a miracle.  You have cocreated life, and that is such a blessing.

Sorry to hear things are so difficult with the fostering situation right now.  The whole foster care system has to walk a very fine, difficult line, and it's really sad when it looks like they're making a mistake.  It's Catholic teaching on subsidiarity in action, but it's so hard to decide objectively and fairly when birth parents have crossed the line and who would be best to raise a child.  Prayers for the whole situation.

#263 of 293 Old 10-24-2011, 07:26 AM

Hi,

I'm new here and not sure I'm in the right place, but hopefully will find a home on this thread.  I was raised nominally Catholic (we didn't even go on Christmas or Easter, and I was confirmed until I came back to the Church as an adult), became an atheist as a teenager, then spiritual/going to Catholic Church because I liked the liturgy/tradition but really not "buying it" in college and after, gradually becoming more serious about my faith over the next 5-10 years.  Currently, I'm still not as traditional as many of you seem to be, but I'm more traditional than most of the people I know at church.  I don't go to Latin mass (I like the Latin mass and have enough Latin that it's worthwhile, but it's hard to get to from here and it's more of an aesthetic than a feeling that it is more real than the ordinary form... plus DH wouldn't feel at all at home there), I don't cover... on the other hand, I don't use contraceptives and believe in modest dress, etc.  I am still apparently a work in progress redface.gif.

Anyway, it was wonderful reading all that's been going on in this thread.

Best,

Anka 

hippie.gifwife to DH, new mom to babyboy.gif 7/4/2011.  femalesling.GIF familybed1.gif BFPChart2.gif cd.gif knit.gif

"I remember my mother's prayers and they have followed me.  They have clung to me all my life." -- Abraham Lincoln. 

#264 of 293 Old 10-24-2011, 07:43 AM
JMJ

Welcome, Anka!  We're all at varying degrees of Traditional as far as liturgy and covering are concerned.  We find common ground in all seeking to accept and understand all the teachings of the Magisterium and to support each other in living them out in our own lives.  Many of the mamas here have preferences for more traditional liturgy, but it sounds like you'd fit in just fine.

#265 of 293 Old 10-24-2011, 07:54 AM

Congrats on the pregnancies and babies, ladies, and welcome to Anka, from another Novus Ordo mom wink1.gif

Beth.
Trying to be a joyful Catholic wife and mama, and taking it one day at a time!
#266 of 293 Old 10-24-2011, 08:48 AM

I'll post them here, too. carrot.gifbroc1.gifbanana.gif

Woo-hoo, LTB!!

And prayers for the LO you're looking after as well.

Amanda praying.gif (31), RN, BSN
Catholic wife to guitar.gif (DH 28); mommy to blahblah.gif (DD 9), jog.gif (DS 6), angel2.gif (DS 11/09), angel1.gif (3/10), angel1.gif (6/10), our rainbow1284.gif (DS 1), and a surprise baby.gif (DD)

#267 of 293 Old 10-24-2011, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboysmama View Post

Our baby girl is here!!!

Saphira Arya June!!!

10/16/11 8lbs 10 oz 20 inches long.

I am in love and so relieved although not as relaxed as I had hoped. Really really hard to trust Gods plan when it is in regards to the lives of your children.

As far as family planning dh and I have really really struggled with this. I am hoping that my breastfeeding amennoriah (sp?) will last a yr as is typical for me and give us some time. My dh has some issues (that he is aware of but not really working on) that make abstaining very challenging. Using NFP has not proven to be very good for our marriage and causes a lot of stress, etc. I absolutely will not do anything permanent to my body, it is so hard. I am hoping the lord will really speak to DH and help him with his challenges and frustrations with NFP. 

We really do have grave reason to avoid adding children to our family so it is just about figuring out how to prevent pregnancy (at least at this time). Dh is disabled so doesn't work outside the home, his work in the home is limited to how he is feeling, we have found it is the best for our family for me not to work outside of the home so that leaves very very little money to live on. Dh is exhausted and in pain which gives him very little patience and energy and we have 5 children so that is definately a challenge.  I have appreciated this thread and the support that I have gotten in the past on this matter.

Congrats to your family!  You may find the Marquette method might suit you.  I am impressed with Dr. Fehring's research on NFP during breastfeeding, and the monitor may give your dh the reassurance he needs to be confident in the method.  Prayers for your discernment.  

#268 of 293 Old 10-24-2011, 10:17 AM

Welcome, Anka!  I am in a similar place as you.  Like the pp, I believe that by calling ourselves "traditional" we are seeking to mold ourselves to the teachings of the Church, rather than straining against them.  Aren't we all works in progress? :)

#269 of 293 Old 10-24-2011, 12:16 PM

We do practice ecological breastfeeding and the spacing of my children is about 2yrs. I hav not read those books and will look into it. I know we hav about a yr to figure out NFP, etc before I get pg again so hoping that is the case this time. Ecological breastfeeding is great but we ar maxed out at this point and I am 36 so probably have another 10 yrs or so till menopause and a baby every 2 yrs or so would be another 5 kids or even more pregnancies if my loss history continues. I have already been pg 9x in 10 yrs and my body is pretty tired. Financially we barely can take care of the 5 we have, adding 5 more would be insane unless our situation changes and we could address it at that point.

I will look into the Marquette method, Ty.

Ltb- congrats! Prayers headed your way!

Ankara-welcome!

Just a fun fact. Most of you know how nervous I was this pg. I prayed for st girards intersession regularly. Dd2 was born on oct 16, the feast day of st girard.

#270 of 293 Old 10-25-2011, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter

The Marquette method requires the use of a fertility monitor.  The specific brand they give is the ClearBlue Easy monitor- which runs about $200.  The test sticks are about $20-30 per package.

It is a fantastic version of NFP.  I just wanted to give you the out-of-pocket expenses upfront so you and your hubby would know :-)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page