Traditional Catholic Moms Spring/Summer 2011 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 293 Old 02-20-2011, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

New season, new thread!!

Traditional Catholic moms thread is for all Catholic moms who strive to live according to the teachings of the Roman Catholic Church.  We may or may not attend TLM, but we are all doing our best to be faithful to the Magisterium.

Pleas see the Advent/Christmas thread for previous convos

Proud Catholic (30) and mama to V (10)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 293 Old 02-20-2011, 10:22 AM - Thread Starter

Some mamas in the previous thread mentioned that they both had The How-to Book of the Mass.

I would love to get a copy of this, and possibly have a Lenten book club/study.  Would anyone else be interested?

#3 of 293 Old 02-20-2011, 11:08 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceAndLove View Post

Some mamas in the previous thread mentioned that they both had The How-to Book of the Mass.

I would love to get a copy of this, and possibly have a Lenten book club/study.  Would anyone else be interested?

I'll have to get the book, but I'd be interested. I have the other two of the set and they are very good.

Me, 29, Muslim hijab.gif single mama to T age 7 energy.gif We homeschool.gif saynovax.giffambedsingle1.gif and Love it!
#4 of 293 Old 02-20-2011, 07:57 PM - Thread Starter

Yay!

I need to get a hold of the book first, but if anyone who has the book would like to come up with a reading schedule, that would be awesome.

#5 of 293 Old 02-21-2011, 05:29 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
P&L - Thanks for the new thread, and I'm in on the study club. Yay!!

Amanda praying.gif (31), RN, BSN
Catholic wife to guitar.gif (DH 28); mommy to blahblah.gif (DD 9), jog.gif (DS 6), angel2.gif (DS 11/09), angel1.gif (3/10), angel1.gif (6/10), our rainbow1284.gif (DS 1), and a surprise baby.gif (DD)

#6 of 293 Old 02-21-2011, 06:06 AM

ooh can I join in..... I'm really trying and although I have lapsed since moving stateside I really feel like I can do so much better and this Lent seems the perfect opportunity...

#7 of 293 Old 02-21-2011, 08:20 AM - Thread Starter

Lent always seems like a good time to get the spiritual ducks in a row

#8 of 293 Old 02-21-2011, 03:16 PM

thanks for the new thread.I have felt called to cover for several yrs now. Maybe I iwll take lent to do that finally. Will those of you that are making that commitment please let me know how you are going about it.

we are doing well. dh is not near as angry and although he still isn't attending church he does pray daily with the family. I am just a few days shy of 6 wks so a long ways to go. Continued prayers would be much appreciated.

nicole wild.gif,  mom to 3 boys here on earth jumpers.gif 9, 7 and 4.5 and 2 girl's fly-by-nursing2.gif2.5 and 10/16/11. Always remembering my babies in heaven:  Sam (9/7/05) at 12.5 wks  angel1.gif, Morgan (2/13/06) at 6 wks angel1.gif , Emeric angel2.gif (8/9/10 at 17 wks) and Pepper angel1.gif (11/26/10) at 8wks. 

#9 of 293 Old 02-21-2011, 03:56 PM

I will definitely remember you in my prayers, theboysmama. I'm going to buy a cover and just dive in, I guess. Not sure what to wear, but I guess I better buy something soon. I don't want it to be too noticeable, though, b/c I'm petrified of sticking out. Oh, and I feel like I need to at least wear skirts, and I'm very short on those, too. IDK. This is way more complicated than it should be. redface.gif

Catholic wife to guitar.gif (DH 28); mommy to blahblah.gif (DD 9), jog.gif (DS 6), angel2.gif (DS 11/09), angel1.gif (3/10), angel1.gif (6/10), our rainbow1284.gif (DS 1), and a surprise baby.gif (DD)

#10 of 293 Old 02-21-2011, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter

Walmart has black scarves for $5.  I find that these are the best way to "dive right in" to covering at Mass.  They are relatively unobtrusive and are very comfortable.  I usually place the scarf on my head with my head more-or-less in the middle of the scarf, and then throw one, or both, ends over my shoulders.

#11 of 293 Old 02-27-2011, 04:42 PM
JMJ

DH and I had an interesting conversation about covering last night. I'm still not ready to do it.  P&L, I'm still having a difficult time picturing what you're talking about.  What shape of scarf do you use?  How much of your hair is covered?  Does anyone have pictures of covering styles they like or use?

I could really use some prayers right now.  I had a misunderstanding with my pastor that is putting a hole in our plans for a 40 Days For Life event here.  Also, I went to confession recently, and I was confronted by a woman who was setting up for another event who thought I shouldn't be going to confession since I just went in Advent.  My response was that I'm a mom (meaning to imply that I need to be a better example for my child).  I found out today that when I went in to confession, she made a comment to my husband about needing to check my daughter for bruises.  I can't believe that she assumed that I wouldn't go to confession for something that wasn't a mortal sin (child abuse), and it just hurts so much that somebody assumed that I abused my child.  She's even somebody who has complimented me for how content my baby is since I hold her all the time and attend quickly to her needs.  I feel awful.

#12 of 293 Old 02-27-2011, 06:19 PM - Thread Starter

JMJ- no comment for that lady! i cannot even believe she would presume to know when and why you should go to confession! and good luck with the pastor.

here is what i am talking about, in regards to my covering: http://images58.fotki.com/v449/photos/5/1222605/8130958/pg30clintonEPA_256736s-vi.jpg?iact=rc&dur=2634&ei=ywVrTZ68CIKr8Aaf5ICWCw&oei=ywVrTZ68CIKr8Aaf5ICWCw&page=1&tbnh=141&tbnw=186&start=0&ndsp=10&ved=1t:429,r:6,s:0&tx=134&ty=33

#13 of 293 Old 02-28-2011, 07:58 AM

I wear a shoulder length lace mantilla. I have both semi-circular and triangle style ones.

I'm so sorry that woman was rude regarding your confession.

#14 of 293 Old 03-03-2011, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter

I just started Fr. Longenecker's book "St. Benedict and St. Therese". Thus far, I am enjoying it.

Has anyone else read it?

#15 of 293 Old 03-03-2011, 03:17 PM

Hi there, Patience and Love!  I've been meaning to say hello and join this group, and your post got me to do it!  I read Fr. Longenecker's book last year (although I am not sure if I finished it before we moved, and I haven't seen it since).  I really enjoyed it, though!  It helped me to really understand and appreciate St. Therese.  I knew that lots of people loved her, but I didn't really understand what she was all about.  After reading most of that book, I finally read St. Therese's Story of a Soul, and I think I appreciated it more b/c of reading his book first.  I will have to find his book, maybe we can read/discuss it together!

#16 of 293 Old 03-04-2011, 12:17 AM

JMJ... wow... That was nuts. First of all, that she does not know confession is recommended muuuuuuch more often than twice a year, or whatever she was thinking. And to have the nerve to talk to your dh. This goes in the category of there are a billion Catholics in the world, so we must bump into all kinds.

I cover, as I think I have said many times. Yesterday I saw something really interesting online: A newspaper clip from 1969 in which a cardinal explained that there was a misunderstanding and women still needed to conver just like before. (I am not trying to imply that it is sinful not to cover. I simply do not like the way that came about and I do feel that this is among the things connected to the lack of reverence and understanding of the Real Presence we deal with these days.)

I started to cover by wearing a hat. Then it got too hot for that (didn't have any summer hats) so I started to wear the mantilla. Mine is thin and with a small pattern, so it looks almost like a regular triangular black scarf, not like something European royalty would wear. I also wear it tied under my chin, think Russian grandma style. Only one person ever has asked me if someone had died, thinking that was why I was wearing a black scarf. The funny thing is that she covers these days, also. I try to concentrate on Mass, so I don't really notice what others think of my covering. A friend did tell me, once, that a lady had given me a really dirty look. However, she is someone who would feel that way about me, no matter what, so who cares. (People like me and my friends are undoing the "great" work she has tried to accomplish ever since VII, if you know what I mean.) I also think that some people don't like it when our dd (6) covers. She wears hats, though really only because she finds them pretty, and a pink, round what-ever-you-call-it. However, she wears them when she likes to, so there is no forcing involved like they seem to think. I do hope to explain things well enough that covering will become 2nd nature to her by the time she receives 1st communion, though. We do have friends whose daughters cover, so it should not be that different or anything.

I need to develop a habit of going to confession more often. I find it really difficult, though, as our priest is just about deaf. Hey, I guess that should make me happy to confess whatever.. ha ha.

Mama to a little lady and always praying for more.
#17 of 293 Old 03-04-2011, 07:56 AM
JMJ

Things are going better.  I was able to clear up the miscommunication with my pastor, so we're on for the 40 Days for Life.  I'm so excited.  It will be the first time that we're actually getting involvement from a lot of parishes and getting full coverage during the hours the Planned Parenthood is open.  Before, it's just been a few of us coming when we can.

Covering is probably still a long way off for me right now, but I've been thinking about it for the past couple years.  Covering at my current parish would be almost impossible.  It's not just one woman who believes that confession is for once or twice a year and if you abuse your children or commit adultery.  It's a lot of people who think you've got a holier than thou attitude if you kneel during the whole Eucharistic Prayer or refer to God with a masculine pronoun.  Covering would just be over the top.

But at the same time, I was realizing that almost every time I have been sexually harassed, it has involved my hair, and maybe a bit of modesty involving my hair would be warranted.  Still praying...

#18 of 293 Old 03-07-2011, 04:35 AM

Thread crashing for a second....and then on my way out...

I came across this blog of various lenten ideas that I thought some of you Mamas might like.  

http://catholicicing.blogspot.com/2011/02/lenten-ideas-for-kids-and-linky.html

Peace. :)

Mom to DS(8), DS(6), DD(4), and DS(1).  "Kids do as well as they can."

#19 of 293 Old 03-08-2011, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMJ View Post
But at the same time, I was realizing that almost every time I have been sexually harassed, it has involved my hair, and maybe a bit of modesty involving my hair would be warranted.  Still praying...

So sorry! Your parish sounds like a difficult place. When we lived in the US, we used to drive past so many parished to get to one that was decent. Here (Northern Europe) we don't have many options, but the place we go to is wonderful, thank God.

I don't see convering at Mass so much as a modesty thing, I guess. I see it as something reminding me of being a woman and God's plan for me. I conver mainly to remind myself and others of the presence of Christ in the Eucharist and thus, that a church is a special place. I actually loved wearing a bigger veil when we used to go to the extraordinary form. It gave me lots of privacy and helped to me concentrate. Just loved it! However, here I prefer to cover without that added benefit, as a smaller scarf is not such a big deal to others. 

Mama to a little lady and always praying for more.
#20 of 293 Old 03-11-2011, 09:25 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Oh my gosh I am in shocked about the woman and confession, how rude!

I hope everyone is doing okay. I have not been around very much. I have had on going struggles with my health lately.

I feel like I am so out of the loop with everyone.

Has anyone been members of multiple parishes? We seem to have find ourselves with this problem. We have been members of the parish closest to our home for 14 years. It has had its share of problems but things have greatly improved but sadly not the youth ministries yet. I do teach 3 year old "sunday" school. I have been told when I call it CCD I am dating myself lol. Anyway, along time ago oh 7 years ago we had a lot of problems with the youth group at our church and it is one of the things that led to our oldest son claiming he is agnostic and our second son only attending Mass on the bigs days like Christmas and Easter. He feels the church is full of hypocrites etc. I have spent a lot of times praying on this issue for our 2 younger boys and daughter. Well we found a parish with an excellent youth group. My kids love it there. We love their Mass they have before youth group. It is not youth orientated but it is just an awesome Mass. I am not sure what are going to do straddle two parishes I guess.

Heidi
#21 of 293 Old 03-13-2011, 07:17 PM

We had the rite of election today. The Cathedral was packed but it was lovely. I can't believe it's just a few more weeks and we will be officially Catholic.

#22 of 293 Old 03-13-2011, 08:34 PM - Thread Starter

Congrats, Arduinna!

I am contemplating joining Transitus Oblates of the Last Martyrdom.  Prayers would be lovely!

OH!! I FINALLY got a job! As a phlebotomist!! Huzzah!!!

I had to withdrawl from the session (the school runs on trimesters, and we started 7 mar) for training, but I will be going back in the fall.

#23 of 293 Old 03-16-2011, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mum4boys View Post

Has anyone been members of multiple parishes? We seem to have find ourselves with this problem. We have been members of the parish closest to our home for 14 years. It has had its share of problems but things have greatly improved but sadly not the youth ministries yet. I do teach 3 year old "sunday" school. I have been told when I call it CCD I am dating myself lol. Anyway, along time ago oh 7 years ago we had a lot of problems with the youth group at our church and it is one of the things that led to our oldest son claiming he is agnostic and our second son only attending Mass on the bigs days like Christmas and Easter. He feels the church is full of hypocrites etc. I have spent a lot of times praying on this issue for our 2 younger boys and daughter. Well we found a parish with an excellent youth group. My kids love it there. We love their Mass they have before youth group. It is not youth orientated but it is just an awesome Mass. I am not sure what are going to do straddle two parishes I guess.

Though I don't actively minister there anymore, I'm still an active/supporting member of the parish I've been with for 21 years.  My younger kids still participate in faith formation there, and my older daughter sings in the choir.

However, over the past year I've also become heavily involved with B's parish - we are ministering together as team leaders for a 3-year diocesan evangelization initiative.  Also, they got a new priest last summer, and I really like him - he is passionate about liturgy, and I love celebrating Mass with him.  B and I have formed a good friendship with this priest, as well.

It's tricky to straddle both, but doable because I want to.  The hard thing for me is that I typically end up worshipping either without my kids (since they are with their dad most weekends), or without B.

I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ. 

Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi 

#24 of 293 Old 03-16-2011, 11:05 AM

Are you ladies still up for a group read through of The How-To Book of the Mass?

I think if you count this week there is about 5 weeks until Easter. Is that right?

What days would we want to begin each section's discussion?

#25 of 293 Old 03-16-2011, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavatea View Post

Are you ladies still up for a group read through of The How-To Book of the Mass?

I think if you count this week there is about 5 weeks until Easter. Is that right?

What days would we want to begin each section's discussion?

I'm up for it - I got the book and have been reading a chapter a night or so since Lent Started, so I'm half-way done with it. It's VERY good IMO, explains a lot of things from a regular person viewpoint.

I'd also be up for a discussion of The Story of a Family about St. Therese the Little Flower's family - I found a copy last week at my thrift shop for just $1, and it's my next up to read when I finish The How-to Book of the Mass.

Me, 29, Muslim hijab.gif single mama to T age 7 energy.gif We homeschool.gif saynovax.giffambedsingle1.gif and Love it!
#26 of 293 Old 03-16-2011, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter

I have been too broke to purchase the book :-(

The library doesn't have it, either :-( :-(

#27 of 293 Old 03-18-2011, 08:12 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Have you asked to see if your library will order it? My library is awesome. It is really getting a great selection of Catholic books too.

Heidi
#28 of 293 Old 03-18-2011, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mum4boys View Post

Have you asked to see if your library will order it? My library is awesome. It is really getting a great selection of Catholic books too.

I should ask them to order it.

As for their selection of Catholic books- Sr. Joan Chissiter features prominently.  There are a few Scott Hahn books, but most of the other books are highly questionable.

#29 of 293 Old 03-18-2011, 06:44 PM

I just noticed my copy of the book has a study guide in the back. I will try to post the questions from the first section in the next few days if everyone agrees. Sound ok?

I hope your library will order it for you, P&L.

#30 of 293 Old 03-18-2011, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavatea View Post

I just noticed my copy of the book has a study guide in the back. I will try to post the questions from the first section in the next few days if everyone agrees. Sound ok?

I hope your library will order it for you, P&L.

Sounds good to me - Mines has the Study guide as well, but I haven't been using it.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page