Living your spirituality everyday...all welcome! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 03-02-2011, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I thought it might be interesting to see how we all live our different spiritual paths on a daily basis. Do you read a devotional book, have sacred space at home, go on a nature walk, pray or meditate...I'm sure there is much more out there and I thought this may help those who are looking to grow in their spirituality.

I hope people would like to share what they do so others can take what works for them and we all grow together.

Nicole: mama to DD and DS, childbirth educator and doula. Dancing the spiral dance of life bellycast.gif

#2 of 21 Old 03-03-2011, 11:00 PM

I'm trying to incorporate praying every morning and night into my routinue. It happens some of the time.  At the moment, I'm trying to incorporate structured prayer in the AM (praying the standard Jewish morning liturgy), and mostly unstructured prayer at night (the Shema, and a prayer from the heart.)  I've been having trouble with my sleep schedule though and it's hard to get out of bed early enough in the morning, or remember at night when I'm tired.

I also keep kosher on a daily basis, dress modestly, have a mezuzah on the door I kiss when I go through it, and many other little things which are incorporating my religion daily, but I'm not sure that's what you meant.

Not every single day, but I do try to dance to G-d as often as I can.  (As in, dance which is intentionally and expressly a form of worship.  Most dance is, to an extent, worship and spiritual for me, however sometimes it's more intentional than others.)

Caroline, partner to J, post partum doula, kitchen manager, aspiring midwife, soon to be nursing student, mama to my furbaby, someday a mama to not so furry munchkins, G-d willing
#3 of 21 Old 03-04-2011, 04:21 AM

How interesting to post this thread at this time!  My DH and I are Episcopalian, and next week is Ash Wednesday, which marks the beginning of Lent, a 40 day period of prayer and reflection in preparation for Easter.  Some Christian traditions encourage members to give something up during Lent as part of their spiritual discipline.  When I was still fairly new to the Episcopal Church, the former vicar at our church introduced me to the concept of taking something on rather than giving something up. I thought this was a great idea, and I have tried to follow it ever since.  This year, I have signed up to receive daily online Lenten meditations through Episcopal Relief & Development - http://www.er-d.org/Lent.  They also do a print version that our church distributes every year, but I have found it a challenge to pick up the little book for even a few minutes every day.  I am on my computer almost every day, though, so I am hoping that the online version will help me to be more mindful!  Also, I am hoping to recommit to my excercise program and encourage DH to join me in becoming more active and making some changes to our diet.  We both need to start taking better care of ourselves, and I thought that nurturing physical health along with spiritual well-being would be appropriate!

Benjamin's Mom, 11/13/07joy.gif
#4 of 21 Old 03-06-2011, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter

Maglet - love the idea of worship through dance. I bet little ones would really get into that and celebrate their spirituality.

Lisa - I have heard of that before too, taking something on for Lent. Like many other things in life, if we add something onto a routine we already do, it is easier to stick to. I use this alot when I talk about tummy time in my classes. I encourage parents to do a few minutes after diaper changes so it adds up throughout the day. I think this would easily work with a morning routine and reading a daily devotional (or bedtime or anything else).

I am trying to start incorporating more meditating into my daily practice. I really want to get back into the habit of lighting candles too. I find their glow slows me down, helps me be mindful and the soft light is great.

Nicole: mama to DD and DS, childbirth educator and doula. Dancing the spiral dance of life bellycast.gif

#5 of 21 Old 03-07-2011, 09:39 AM

Location: In the garden of dreams***Tellin myself it's not as hard as it seems***

In the last couple of weeks I have been saying affirmations out loud/in my head corresponding with the flower essences I have been taking. For example if I am taking Iris which which has a creative energy I recite something like "I am soulfully and radiantly creative, and in touch with higher realms," or "I am a luminous and creative spiritual being." I meditate on those thoughts for a while and immediately feel refreshed and energized for my day.

Magelet- I too enjoy dancing with intention! Especially when at a live music show I envision my dancing energy and love flowing out from me to everyone at the concert. It helps me to feel more like I am participating and that I am a part of the community, sometimes I have trouble with feeling like a worthy member of the community. It makes me happy to see that others are makin the world better one groove at a time!

A couple other things I do that feel spiritual to me are when I am feeling frusterated or angry about something I try to make a list in my head of things I am grateful for; like a healthy beautiful baby, the sun getting closer to us and makin me feel warm and happy, my friend who just called to say "I love you", a beautiful tree, a wonderful dinner I made, etc

Also making a pot of tea with different herbs I have on hand while sitting by the fire or nursing my sonny and/or reading always seems to help me connect with my spiritual side/ higher self.

Lovely thread idea Singin Angel!joy.gif

#6 of 21 Old 03-07-2011, 09:49 AM

Location: In the garden of dreams***Tellin myself it's not as hard as it seems***

Oh and connecting with nature is a huge one! going on hikes with sonny and my husky daisy, especially around water,treehugger.gif make us all feel refreshed and in alignment!

#7 of 21 Old 03-07-2011, 10:38 AM

The big thing is that I live next door (literally) to a bird and butterfly sanctuary that's planted along a river. The kids and I walk along it almost every day. Connecting with nature (and particularly the river) is a big part of our spirituality. I also pray daily. We say grace as a family. I bless my children before they go to sleep.

Partner to Rbikenew.gif ('03); Parent to T read.gif('07), Aviolin.gif ('10), and E ecbaby2.gif ('13)

femalesling.GIFhomeschool.gifchicken3.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif 

#8 of 21 Old 03-07-2011, 12:12 PM

Thank you for the reminders about connecting with nature, Ladies!  I also make a point to show DS the flowers coming up in the garden and tell him the names.  Now every time we leave the house, he is so excited to "look at the shoots" and the purple flowers (crocuses).  I cannot wait until it is a tiny bit warmer and we can take our walks to the goose pond, etc., again:-) 

On another note, singin_angel, that's a great tip about tummy time - I wish I had heard about that when DS was a baby and he would scream the very second I would turn him over!  What kind of classes do you teach?

Benjamin's Mom, 11/13/07joy.gif
#9 of 21 Old 03-07-2011, 06:08 PM - Thread Starter

Moonmamajess - thanks for mentioning water! That is one of the places I feel the very best! If I hear a body of water (river, lake, etc), I feel at peace. All of a sudden it is like life slows down and I notice everything around me. Sometimes we take a trip to the beach on the island here, which means taking the ferry, and the island is so quiet from the rest of the city...the view with the grass and trees all surrounded by water, it's just amazing!

Lisa - ooh garden! Something I hope to have one day...we are in an apartment so maybe a few potted plants to start :) To answer your question, I teach childbirth education classes in my city.

#10 of 21 Old 03-08-2011, 04:46 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Daily prayer: I say certain prayers in the mornings and evenings, and I need to start saying ones at mealtimes but that hasn't become habit for me yet.  I strive to pray constantly, but of course I fall quite short in that regard.  One thing I really like is to do cross stitch needlework while praying a certain prayer over and over...it's very calming.

I read a lot of stuff.  Books, blogs, and other writings.  There is so much to read and not enough time to read it, but I actually find that reading a little every day (or multiple times a day) is probably better for my understanding than reading as much as I think I want to read.

I try to go for a walk every day and listen to a podcast from Ancient Faith Radio. 

But the main thing is that I try to realize moment to moment that we live in, as one of my favorite blogger/podcasters says, a "one-story universe" where there is no distinction between the spiritual and everything else.  God is 'everywhere present and filling all things' and my hope is to live my life with that in mind at all times.  Of course, I fail.

#11 of 21 Old 03-08-2011, 05:39 AM - Thread Starter

Purple Sage - it sounds like you are doing quite a bit already, I would hardly say you are failing. Reading, already having established daily prayer and working on more, podcasts...I think you are doing great! Your spirituality seems to be a center in your life from my perspective. If you are pulled towards more, just keep working at it at your pace :)

I actually just listened to a podcast yesterday. It was about 15 minutes long and it was nice to have those few minutes to hear a touching message.

#12 of 21 Old 03-08-2011, 07:09 AM

Purple sage- I agree don't be too hard on yourself! I really like the idea of repeating a prayer while cross stitching, that sounds very meditative! We all wish we could be more mindful and conscious of the spirit around us and within us, but it is easy to lose sight of that sometimes while going through the motions, but that is part of the human experience. We wake up to a new day every morning so that we can improve on the day before. If you were always in the "one story universe" what would be the point of being here on earth having this human experience? KWIM? Sounds like you're doin a great job!

#13 of 21 Old 03-08-2011, 07:23 AM

Thanks for your kind words, singin_angel & moomamajess.  innocent.gif

I can't say enough good things about podcasts.  I've gotten so much exercise since I started listening to them because I have to get out of the house without the kids to actually listen, so it's been a great motivation to take a long walk as often as possible.  Nature, exercise, and learning....all at the same time. Love it!

#14 of 21 Old 03-08-2011, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonmamajess View Post

Purple sage- I agree don't be too hard on yourself! I really like the idea of repeating a prayer while cross stitching, that sounds very meditative! We all wish we could be more mindful and conscious of the spirit around us and within us, but it is easy to lose sight of that sometimes while going through the motions, but that is part of the human experience. We wake up to a new day every morning so that we can improve on the day before. If you were always in the "one story universe" what would be the point of being here on earth having this human experience? KWIM? Sounds like you're doin a great job!

About the bolded part...

That's exactly the thing for me - the whole point of the human experience is the same as the spiritual experience.  The separation is an illusion. 

#15 of 21 Old 03-08-2011, 09:20 PM

I totally agree about there being no duality, just sayin' that being human, we slip and forget sometimes and thats o.k.! That is part of why we are here. We are awakening and remembering our oneness. But we all (or most all) forget sometimes...

Anyway, happy International Women's day! I am devoting my week to it. Letting all the strong women in my life know that I am thankful for their influence in my life. Especially all you Goddess Mamas here on MDC!

#16 of 21 Old 04-02-2011, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Sage View Post

Daily prayer: I say certain prayers in the mornings and evenings, and I need to start saying ones at mealtimes but that hasn't become habit for me yet.  I strive to pray constantly, but of course I fall quite short in that regard.  One thing I really like is to do cross stitch needlework while praying a certain prayer over and over...it's very calming.

My father was a police officer when I was growing up.  On his downtime he would do just that.  He would cross stitch while praying silently.  Pretty interesting to grow up with.  We went to church, but there was more emphasis on spirituality than there was dogma.  Of course then when I was in my twenties he went to seminary, so I guess he was planting seeds that whole time!

I love the idea of handwork during prayer.  I don't do it with any kind of consistency, but I'd like to.

As for me, I pray daily, morning and night as well as throughout the day when I'm working.  We say grace together.  We do talk about God, as my kids are in catholic school and get regular exposure.

I personally also feel more aligned amongst flowers and water-two very powerful things for me.

#17 of 21 Old 04-03-2011, 05:28 AM

Great thread! I can't believe I missed it.
I pray with my kids at night and we pray during meals but I was super religious all my life and now with my recent religious changes, I am not "doing" so much anymore but just trying to feel God flow in everything throughout the day.
#18 of 21 Old 04-03-2011, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Sage View Post

About the bolded part...

That's exactly the thing for me - the whole point of the human experience is the same as the spiritual experience.  The separation is an illusion. 

Amen to that. I am trying to work on being present and thankful in everything I do.

Ideally I meditate, pray in the form of conversing with God, kneeling and having a long conversation with God and/or reciting a written prayer of praise or need or one that aids in inflexion. I try and study scripture as well as other things that enlighten and motivate me.

Right now I am really trying to focus on putting my spiritual health first.

BTW I love this thread! A fantastic idea. :) 

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
#19 of 21 Old 04-03-2011, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holyhelianthus View Post

Right now I am really trying to focus on putting my spiritual health first.

me too, and I'm already seeing pretty major shifts.

#20 of 21 Old 04-03-2011, 12:03 PM

This is an awesome thread! So timely for me, too...

I was not raised with any spiritual nor religious influences. I sought my own by going along with various friends on their religious traditions, which I always found more fascinating than they did. I went to a Catholic university and purposely took religion classes that studied a variety of beliefs. Oh, how I enjoyed those classes!

Since college, I read and talk to people. I've attended various places of worship with friends, but haven't found anything compelling in that arena. I enjoy them all in the moment and always come away with something positive. I'm more interested in the big picture for myself, which I find to be exceedingly similar amongst all faiths. (I know the details are different intellectually.)

I am finding my own path of spirituality. I meditate every morning and night during that magical moment between sleeping and waking. I also use gratitude and affirmations frequently. I love the affirm-a-flower cards from FES and use them with and without the flower essences. For awhile, I was writing in a journal frequently (not quite daily). My DD and I play verbal word games on the walk to school each morning. Sometimes we play the gratitude game where we each name 3-5 things we are grateful for at that moment in time. Connecting with nature is very spiritual for me...probably the most influential in my life long-term. I walk my DD to and from school for many reasons and the simplest is I enjoy it. So many people try to talk me out of walking her in various weather conditions, which I find interesting. I *enjoy* the various weather conditions! Walking in the rain is magical. Walking in the heat is a reminder to be grateful for our unair-conditioned home, which manages to stay cool and shelter us. I love to hike and camp, too. My favorite activity of all time is walking barefoot on the beach right at the surf's edge. All five senses come alive and I feel so vibrant and free and grounded all at the same time. Connected. It's exhilarating! love.gif

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#21 of 21 Old 04-04-2011, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnysandiegan View Post

My DD and I play verbal word games on the walk to school each morning. Sometimes we play the gratitude game where we each name 3-5 things we are grateful for at that moment in time. Connecting with nature is very spiritual for me...probably the most influential in my life long-term. I walk my DD to and from school for many reasons and the simplest is I enjoy it. So many people try to talk me out of walking her in various weather conditions, which I find interesting. I *enjoy* the various weather conditions! Walking in the rain is magical. Walking in the heat is a reminder to be grateful for our unair-conditioned home, which manages to stay cool and shelter us. I love to hike and camp, too. My favorite activity of all time is walking barefoot on the beach right at the surf's edge. All five senses come alive and I feel so vibrant and free and grounded all at the same time. Connected. It's exhilarating! love.gif

goodvibes.gif    Beautifully written Sunny!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page