Churchgoers: Do you avoid negative church depictions for your little ones? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-04-2011, 06:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Our DDs just received four Easter-themed books.  One was an I SPY book that was mostly spring focused. The other three were secular Easter stories based mostly around candy, eggs and the Easter Bunny.  For the most part I find the books silly and unnecessary but nothing worth raising a stink over.

One of them, though, has got my goat.  It is a "Little Critter" Easter book and the basic themes (as I can see them) are: CANDYCANDYCANDY (and how awful your mom is to make you wait until after breakfast to eat it), EGGS are awesome! (as long as yours are prettier than the other kids) and, and this is what gets me, CHURCH IS THE MOST AWFUL PLACE (and you'll sit there with a scowl because you can't believe you were dragged there).

I'm not a fan of censoring reading material for my children, but I'm really not interested in introducing them to the idea that church is something that it is okay to dislike.  At 4 and 2 they think that church is awesome, most of the time,  and, well, why not try to preserve their innocence?

I have some other thoughts on the matter, but I'd love to hear what others think as well

Pregnant and/or Breastfeeding since 2005
Mama to two girls: 5/06 and 3/09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2011, 08:41 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I have no problem censoring books that I don't want my kids to read at that age.  I wouldn't keep that book, and I don't think it would be wrong of you to toss it out or give it away. 

Old 03-04-2011, 03:36 PM

I totally wouldn't keep them.  Why put those ideas into a little child's head?  You're the mom, it's your house, do what you think is best.

I don't think of it as censoring, BTW.  There are a *lot* of things we have been given (or even bought ourselves) over the years that I sooner or later decided I didn't want in our house.  I don't see getting rid of a book that is a 'bad fit' as any different than an ugly sweater or a annoying blender or something. 

I am really into everything in our home being there for a purpose!  Either we need it or we love it if it is going to stay in our home.  I am absolutely NOT into having just random stuff, books or otherwise.

Old 03-04-2011, 09:30 PM

I absolutely censor my DDs books.  For religious holidays I have a variety of mainstream and faith centered books, trying to have more of the faith ones since that is what my family wants to emphasize.  For Easter honestly I just have Spring type books (bunnies in general not the Easter bunny) and faith centered books b/c we don't do the basket/egg hunt (at least not yet, she's 3) so I don't want to explain it to her.

I had a similar reaction to a book about Mommy having another baby.  It made the whole experience so negative that I didn't want to purchase the book (I think it was a critter book too!).  Maybe those critter books are bad-news. ;)

Semi-crunchy Momma to a 4 year old girl and a baby girl born in July of 2011.

Old 03-05-2011, 11:11 AM

I agree, if you feel that a book has a message that you don't think is appropriate for your child(ren), it's best to pass it on rather than have it clutter up the house!  I too had a similar reaction to a religious-themed book that was passed on to us - it showed a little boy putting on various pieces of armor and weaponry to become a "soldier of God".  I understood the message about God always being with us and protecting us, but I did not think that the metaphor was appropriate for a 2-3 year old whose primary focus is trains and animals -

Benjamin's Mom, 11/13/07joy.gif
Old 03-05-2011, 01:52 PM

I would also get rid of it. I want DS to have a positive view of church. DH is a pastor so DS is going to be there a lot as he grows up!

E, wife to D, mommy to G (born March 2010). joy.gif

Old 03-05-2011, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks ladies!  I think DH and I knew right away that this book would disappear quickly!  It is nice to have a little 'backup' from you all!

Pregnant and/or Breastfeeding since 2005
Mama to two girls: 5/06 and 3/09
Old 03-10-2011, 04:47 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I love little critter (for all his fussing he usually ends up admitting the mom and dad are pretty smart and knew what was best) but there is no way I would have that book in my house.  

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

User Tag List