Blessings At The End Of A Letter - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 03-11-2011, 02:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I work for a major corporation that has a Chaplain. In his recent emails to me, he will start the letter with Dear.... and end it with Blessings

Not sure what to make of the letter? I think he is using his title as Chaplain, on some of these and others he will just sign his name.?

Just wanted to know what it means to sign a letter with Blessings?
#2 of 11 Old 03-11-2011, 04:17 AM

I would take it like a generic religious blessing, like God Bless, or Peace Be With You.  I sign all of my writings in the same way. 

Heathyr hang.gifBlessed Catholic Wife to DHwheelchair.gif Devoted Mama to DS1 biglaugh.gif(3/17/08) and DS2blowkiss.gif (8/5/2010)familybed1.gifcd.giflactivist.gifribboncesarean.gifx2 
#3 of 11 Old 03-11-2011, 02:26 PM

Every Pastor/Rabbi/Priest I have ever communicated with (I'm a church musician, so I work with a lot of clergy) sign their letters with a blessing of some sort. It's what they do.

Wife to amazing dh, mama to dd 12/08
#4 of 11 Old 03-13-2011, 06:41 AM - Thread Starter

Even if the email is sent to my personal email address? I can understand when he is writing an email from the office, he needs to sign it that way. But when we are communicating after hours, is the right?

#5 of 11 Old 03-13-2011, 07:02 AM

But for him, Chaplain is what he IS, not what he does for x hours a day.  Its very normal.  I know many people that are not offficiants that sign all their communications with Blessed Be or some such. 

#6 of 11 Old 03-13-2011, 09:59 AM

For most clergy and other religious, there is no "off switch".  They are a chaplain, priest, pastor or whatever 24/7, in everything that they do, personal or not. 

Heathyr hang.gifBlessed Catholic Wife to DHwheelchair.gif Devoted Mama to DS1 biglaugh.gif(3/17/08) and DS2blowkiss.gif (8/5/2010)familybed1.gifcd.giflactivist.gifribboncesarean.gifx2 
#7 of 11 Old 03-13-2011, 10:00 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdfau View Post

Even if the email is sent to my personal email address? I can understand when he is writing an email from the office, he needs to sign it that way. But when we are communicating after hours, is the right?

I'm confused.  Why would it be wrong?

#8 of 11 Old 03-13-2011, 12:39 PM

What are you communicating about? Is this guy employed as a Chaplain or is he an accountant or something who happens to be a Chaplain?

Wife to amazing dh, mama to dd 12/08
#9 of 11 Old 03-14-2011, 02:03 PM

I agree.  I don't understand what's wrong with it.  He might as well have ended it with "have a nice day."  It would be one thing if he had said, "with the peace of Christ" or "with God's blessings" because that would be specifically religious.  But I think that, coming from someone who works in ministry, "blessings" is a perfectly normal closing.

And this post is coming from someone who isn't Christian and who is pretty sensitive to religious references in daily life.

JamieCatheryn likes this.

mommy to Christopher 2/29/08
#10 of 11 Old 03-28-2011, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KempsMama View Post

For most clergy and other religious, there is no "off switch".  They are a chaplain, priest, pastor or whatever 24/7, in everything that they do, personal or not. 

yup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Sage View Post

I'm confused.  Why would it be wrong?

I'm also on this page.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanniesue2 View Post

I agree.  I don't understand what's wrong with it.  He might as well have ended it with "have a nice day."  It would be one thing if he had said, "with the peace of Christ" or "with God's blessings" because that would be specifically religious.  But I think that, coming from someone who works in ministry, "blessings" is a perfectly normal closing.

exactly.  I end all my correspondences (except the super cursory ones where we're going back and forth) the same way.  It would be odd for people to get something from me that didn't say it.  It's a well wishing, and though for me it does have religious connotations, it doesn't need to.  I'm perplexed as to why you are uncomfortable?

#11 of 11 Old 03-29-2011, 06:46 AM

If its email - perhaps he has it built into his signature and the rules set for all new messages or responses will have the signature applied to them.

I have that set for work to include my contact info in the signature body, just incase it's a message which gets forwarded to me for response, the individual will know who to call with questions. 

I guess I'm scratching my head with trying to figure out if is it an actual "blessing" (May light shine upon your path ...) or just like this?

Blessings,

<<insert name>> the Chaplain ?

treehugger.gifAnd you who seek to know Me, know that the seeking and yearning will avail you not, unless you know the Mystery: for if that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without.treehugger.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page