need help wording baptism announcement - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 03-13-2011, 07:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Dh and I are being baptized and confirmed and married in the Catholic Church this Easter season. Since we moved cross country last year all our friends and family live much too far to really be invited, so I'd just like to mail out a formal announcement not an invitation.

Has anyone else done this? I'm not sure exactly how to word it.

#2 of 19 Old 03-13-2011, 08:15 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I just sent out pictures of the kids baptism.  It was clear from the pictures we were not protestant any more. LOL

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#3 of 19 Old 03-25-2011, 01:39 AM

This is really a tough one. Are these people close enough that it matters whether they know? If they are, have they not heard otherwise? If they did know beforehand, I would probably send photos and an informal note. Otherwise, I think I would be likely to just write a Christmas letter (if that is your thing) or something and include pictures. I honestly don't know how I would word such an announcement and even what its purpose would necessarily be. Assuming most of the people receiving the announcement are not practicing Catholics, and some may not even be happy to hear your news... Maybe you could think of what sort of an announcement you would like if someone became x (pick any group, really).

This is coming from another Catholic convert, by the way... I never told one of my Godmothers, as I never saw her and there was little point. Other people have heard from my parents or it has come up on conversation. However, I was a young adult when I converted, so it is a bit different. The problem with telling someone is often that they have little clue about Catholicism, but think they know everything about it.

Mama to a little lady and always praying for more.
#4 of 19 Old 03-25-2011, 10:18 AM - Thread Starter

I'm not planning on taking photos and even if some were taken I'm not planning on sending them out. And yes they are close enough they should know. I'm not really worried about negative fallout. I am planning on sending one to my mom. We have a rocky relationship, but she knows we have been attending the Catholic Church and I'm sure she is expecting that I'm getting baptized ect but I haven't come out and told her. Mostly because our conversations are basically chit chat and I wasn't sure exact when it would happen until very recently and I haven't talked to her since I found out. Plus she likes these kinds of formal announcements and thank you cards ect and I just feel like doing this.

#5 of 19 Old 03-25-2011, 10:31 AM

Arduinna, I'm wondering why you're not having any pictures taken. I can understand not wanting to send any pictures out, but no pictures just for you and your DH? Not even handing your camera to someone else at the Easter Vigil to snap a few quick pics?

I've got pictures of my chrismation when I became Orthodox. I just handed my camera to someone else at church. I have friends who somehow missed getting pics of their own baptism/chrismation (forgot camera, pictures didn't come out, etc.) and they're disappointed years later they don't have *any* pics.

lady.gif
#6 of 19 Old 03-25-2011, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter

Well I'm not banning pics, but I wasn't sure if we could take pictures inside the Church at that time we haven't discussed the specifics to that level of detail yet with the RCIA people.

#7 of 19 Old 03-26-2011, 08:46 PM

I'm not Catholic, but it seems odd to be to send out an announcement for adults.  If I got something like that in the mail, I would wonder if I was obliged to send a gift, and that would make me feel awkward. 

DH and I were baptized in our church last year, and we just told close family and friends.  I probably posted in on Facebook as my status of the day as well.  But we didn't send anything out. 

I would be more inclined to just send out invitations, even for family who are too far away to attend.  I would also put something like "Best wishes only, please" on it so that nobody felt obligated to send a gift.  Putting it in a Christmas letter after the fact, like a pp suggested, would also be a good choice. 

Wife to DH (06/10) and Mummy to DD (07/08).

#8 of 19 Old 03-26-2011, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arduinna View Post

Well I'm not banning pics, but I wasn't sure if we could take pictures inside the Church at that time we haven't discussed the specifics to that level of detail yet with the RCIA people.

Our orthodox church does not allow pictures during the ceremony.  You may take pictures at teh altar after church, but not during.

#9 of 19 Old 03-27-2011, 01:14 AM

My guess would be that pics are allowed, as long as taken in a respectful manner. (I think most priests could tell you storis of what photographers have tried to do... climbing on the altar and such... amazing stuff") I would even think that the priest will tell everyone before starting when and where photos may be taken, or they might have just one person, hired to take photos for everyone.

I am still not sure about the annoucement thing, but it is interesting to read different people's thoughts. In the end, I think only you know your friends and family, so it is hard to try to give advice. What I would probably do, though, is use it as an opprtunity to have a nice photo taken of the whole family and then use that as some sort of an Easter card, just noting the time, place and what took place under the photo or something.

#10 of 19 Old 03-27-2011, 05:24 AM - Thread Starter

Well thanks for the responses, I will just have to work out the wording myself I guess.

#11 of 19 Old 03-27-2011, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arduinna View Post

Well thanks for the responses, I will just have to work out the wording myself I guess.

Sorry I don't have any great ideas - something about joyfully joining into the love and grace of God's family through the sacrament of holy baptism. 

Could you ask someone at your church?

#12 of 19 Old 03-27-2011, 07:26 PM

Rather than sending out a formal announcement why don't you just send out a short handwritten note.  That way you can personalize it to the person receiving it and it will feel more natural.   Then you don't have to worry so much about the wording.   

(and if you want pictures I wold just talk to your  priest about it.  some churches allow it some don't.  I just threw a camera at a friend at the last minute and said here are your boundries....  she did an amazing job.)

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#13 of 19 Old 03-31-2011, 08:40 AM

How about:

"We are excited to share our next step in life with you!  ___ and ___ joined the Catholic Church through baptism and confirmation on Easter.  After joining the Church, we were received the sacrament of Holy Matrimony during Easter services."

??

#14 of 19 Old 04-07-2011, 10:52 PM

First, CONGRATS Ard!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katwoman View Post

How about:

"We are excited to share our next step in life with you!  ___ and ___ joined the Catholic Church through baptism and confirmation on Easter.  After joining the Church, we were received the sacrament of Holy Matrimony during Easter services."

??

This sounds nice.  Arduinna, does your Mom (specifically) come from a religious tradition/know enough about the Catholic Church to understand the Sacreament of Matrimony thing?  Because I could see that being confusing to someone from outside the church.  Will "Baptism", "Confirmation" & "Matromony" be meaningful/informative terms to them.

Good luck!  I hope your Initiation into Catholocism brings you much happiness.

ETA: It just occurred to me.  Since you're actually doing this ON Easter, perhaps an Easter card with additional info written in?  "We were Welcomed into the Roman Catholic Church as full members through Baptism and Confirmation on Easter.  We also celebrated our continuing love with a blessing of our Marraige" or something similar?

Oh, and I'd definately plan on pictures!

#15 of 19 Old 04-08-2011, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredX2 View Post

ETA: It just occurred to me.  Since you're actually doing this ON Easter, perhaps an Easter card with additional info written in?  "We were Welcomed into the Roman Catholic Church as full members through Baptism and Confirmation on Easter.  We also celebrated our continuing love with a blessing of our Marraige" or something similar?

I like that idea. However, I just have to nitpick. ;) There is no Roman Catholic church, only the Catholic church with many rites, with most westerners belonging to the Roman rite. The talk of the Roman Catholic church (often seen in media, etc.) is probably pretty annoying to those belonging to other rites within the Church.

#16 of 19 Old 04-08-2011, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katwoman View Post

How about:

??

Thanks, that is really helpful. I've been at a loss as to how word it. "We are excited to share"..... is a great opening line.

#17 of 19 Old 04-08-2011, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredX2 View Post

First, CONGRATS Ard!!!

This sounds nice.  Arduinna, does your Mom (specifically) come from a religious tradition/know enough about the Catholic Church to understand the Sacreament of Matrimony thing?  Because I could see that being confusing to someone from outside the church.  Will "Baptism", "Confirmation" & "Matromony" be meaningful/informative terms to them.

Good luck!  I hope your Initiation into Catholocism brings you much happiness.

Oh, and I'd definately plan on pictures!

Sorry for the serial posting, apparently multiquote doesn't want to work for me.

I ended up telling my mom on the phone already, but I still want to send an announcement to her and a couple other close family members. She is reasonably informed on the Church in general anyway and told me once that she regrets not baptizing us kids. She was excited we were getting married in the Church.  I love the idea of using an Easter card, I hadn't thought of that, thanks.

#18 of 19 Old 04-10-2011, 07:17 PM

What about something like:

Quote:

We announce with joy that on

day, month, date, year

we united our hearts

in Holy Matrimony

after being baptized and confirmed

as members at XYZ Catholic Church

in City, State

Husband's Name

and

Wife's Name

or

Quote:

Because you are so important to us,

it is with joy that we announce that

in honor of this past Eastertide

we united our hearts

in Holy Matrimony

as members at XYZ Catholic church

in City, State

Husband's Name

and

Wife's Name

or

Quote:

Because you have shared in our lives
by your friendship and love

we are honored to announce

that in honor of this past Eastertide (or Easter season...or maybe even just the date written out in nice long form)

we exchanged marriage vows
and began our new life together

in City, State

Husband's Name

and

Wife's Name

or

Quote:

Let this be our destiny
to love, to live
to begin each new day together
to share our lives forever
Wife's Name
and
Husband's Name
are pleased to announce

we joined our lives in marriage

in City, State

I'll stop there because I think I could probably keep going.  Perhaps there's a wedding announcement/invitation wording out there that you really liked?  You could always adjust it similarly.  You could also take any of the above and adjust the wording ever so slightly to reflect Catholic specific terminology.  I've read in some locations where for a Catholic wedding it might be referred to as a "Nuptual Mass" or "Sacrament of Holy Matrimony."

Oh, or you could always play around with spring imagery which would tie in with resurrection themes and the standard new life sentiments that arise around a wedding.  My brain isn't quite in gear this evening, but I'll post back if I come up with anything along those lines.

#19 of 19 Old 04-11-2011, 07:29 PM

I cannot remember your whole story, Ard, but aren't you are DH having your marriage convalidated?  If so, I would avoid saying you were joined in matrimony, as I am assuming your marriage is already valid.  I would choose something along the lines of "had our marriage blessed" or something...

Proud Catholic transtichel.gif(28) and mama to Vdust.gif (7)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page