Muslim mamas.....help me with earth based spirituality - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 03-22-2011, 06:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have always felt connected with the earth, but since we started growing our own food, I have realized how spiritual the earth is, and I am finding myself taking on an almost pagan style view of the earth, I have found that I feel very strongly about things like making sure to thank the plant for its sacrifice and things like that, although I know that sounds odd, it just seems wrong to not do it.  I would like to know if there are any writings on the earth/environment written by Muslim scholars. I would love to read them.

#2 of 7 Old 03-22-2011, 08:36 PM

Seyyed Hossein Nasr - Religion and the Order of Nature.

There is a book called Islam and Ecology, I'm sorry I don't remember the author, but I think it might be a little more focussed on making a religious case for environmentalism as a pragmatic pursuit, whereas Nasr's book is more on the spiritual aspect itself.
#3 of 7 Old 03-23-2011, 06:16 AM

There's a "Green Deen" movement as well.  

Didn't know it, but there's a book as well. :)

http://www.amazon.com/Green-Deen-Teaches-Protecting-Planet/dp/1605094641

Mom to DS(8), DS(6), DD(4), and DS(1).  "Kids do as well as they can."

#4 of 7 Old 03-24-2011, 10:33 AM

I can't recommend any specific reading, but I can tell you I get what you're feeling. 

Dh and I have spent the past 4 years growing and raising a lot of our own food on a little farm, and it's an emotional experience that fed my mystical side over the years. It is a sublime illumination of Tawhid, for sure. :)

#5 of 7 Old 04-02-2011, 07:57 PM

I just wanted to chime in. One of the things that drew me to Islam was the appreciation for nature as a sacred sign. Purification with water, praying according to the movement of the sun, prostrating upon the earth, counting time on a lunar cycle, the Prophet's love of animals and their love for him, and even the very physical, earthy discipline of fasting have always encouraged the earthy woman in me to get closer to Allah. I think this might be a common but seldom discussed experience.

I agree Seyyed Hossein Nasr is a good place to start. I have been meaning to read his work on Islam and nature.

For a less philosophically substantial but sometimes interesting articles linking Islam and earthy, pro-environment thinking, Green Prophet  can be a good read.

Mama to a bilingual (Arabic/English) and cuddly 3 year old, and planning another peaceful homebirth in June.

#6 of 7 Old 04-27-2011, 07:54 AM

Just wanted to add another resource: Camille Helminski of the Threshold Society edited a book called "The Book of Nature." You can read part of it online.

Mama to a bilingual (Arabic/English) and cuddly 3 year old, and planning another peaceful homebirth in June.

#7 of 7 Old 05-20-2011, 09:54 PM

Abdal Hakim Murad has a downloadable lecture called Mountains in the Qur'an that discusses not just mountains, but the significance of nature in Islam, in both practical and philosophical terms, including specific commentary on our relationship to the elements. I really enjoyed it and it seems to apply perfectly to your original request, Summertime Mommy. Hope all is well with you!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page