#121 of 202 Old 04-18-2011, 02:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiasaura View Post

Hey, mamas, check this out: http://www.thegoodstuffguide.com/fairyland/

Oh that is just too awesome.

Wife to a wonderful man, not a mommy yet but looking forward to when we are ready. 
"Love isn't something you find. Love is something that finds you." Loretta Young
#122 of 202 Old 04-19-2011, 04:57 AM

Quote:

Hey, mamas, check this out: http://www.thegoodstuffguide.com/fairyland/

Wow!  How beautiful.  I could see me having that tree in my house:)

Morning all,

Man, another nasty day here.  Overcast, cold, windy and most likely rain:(  I guess it's better than snow though.  Today feels like one of those curl up on the couch with a cup of tea and a good book kinda days:)

Hoe everyone has a good one.

earth.gif lovin, treehugger.gif  veggie

#123 of 202 Old 04-19-2011, 05:24 AM

I think Persephone got lost on her way out from the UnderWorld and her mother is going crazy waiting for her!

More snow tonight/tomorrow for my area...

Depressing.

That room is beautiful! I might use the bookcase idea here!

Aubergine68 likes this.

Valérie   
#124 of 202 Old 04-19-2011, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie.Qc View Post

I think Persephone got lost on her way out from the UnderWorld and her mother is going crazy waiting for her!

More snow tonight/tomorrow for my area...

Depressing.

That room is beautiful! I might use the bookcase idea here!

Weather has been cold/wet/snow for us as well. Bleck!

Come back spring, we promise to play and revel in your beauty!

Well ladies, our tv bit the dust, so we are tv for an extended time. We went to purchase one that was on clearance and it was gone. Not a big deal, but it made us change our plans as we were finishing off a documentary. We Shall Remain, is on netflix streaming and it shows the NA lives from the colonists to modern times, it is told from their point of view. The girls found it profoundly sad and were very mad after watching The Trail of Tears. So, instead we shall make some Easter decorations to give to family on Sunday. I have made my peace with celebrating Easter. In fact, this year we are looking at who Jesus was in Christian religion. I think Jesus has some very insightful teachings, so I hope I can clearly convey the spirit of Jesus without getting stuck in the stuff I don't agree with.

Oh, our hyacinths are up and were covered in snow. Poor gals, they looked so sad yesterday- but the daffodils looked very pretty with their dusting of snow- like they were wearing little muffs.

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#125 of 202 Old 04-19-2011, 08:28 AM

Quote:

Back from Mom's. I think she really, really has issues. I have known it for quite some time, but I really came back this time with a feeling of "she really does not like ds and me, and it's time to face it". But I don't know what to do, if anything greensad.gif

That's no good. If you decide to say something to her about it, be emotionally prepared. I'd probably just keep a distance and only do family functions like birthdays. I'm sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ktg_ View Post

DS1 is on spring break, and besides cleaning the house, the whole family has gotten hooked on a wonderful little cartoon Phineas & Ferb.

So in the immortal words of Isabella ... "Whatcha doing?"

My DS found a Phineas & Ferb golf game online. He really enjoys it & we play together sometimes. You can probably find it easily on pbs.org. If you want I could get him to pull it up so I can put a link.

Yesterday the kids & I played outside. DS & I gave some dandelions & grape hyacinths to DD. She was so cute playing with them. I also raked all the leaves & junk out of the peppermint patch. I finished DD's tutu, it's pretty BA. I'm still making the beanbags...lost steam on that one.

I gave myself a haircut. Gone are the days that I pay someone to screw it up! It turned out pretty good.

DD is pulling herself up & cruising on things now. Time to redistribute our coffee table clutter. She also plays peek a boo now by pulling her blankie up to hide her face. love.gif She makes the "milk" sign at me too. This past week or two have been really full of developmental milestones for her. She is 9 months old today. Out of the womb as long as in!

My TM has me so focused on what I want that I've realized I'm needing to be more thankful for the things I have.

So Saturn and Pluto have been retrograde in addition to Mercury. I think that Saturn is really contributing to the negative slump. June 12 is when Saturn goes direct. *sigh*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeress View Post

I have made my peace with celebrating Easter. In fact, this year we are looking at who Jesus was in Christian religion. I think Jesus has some very insightful teachings, so I hope I can clearly convey the spirit of Jesus without getting stuck in the stuff I don't agree with.

Good for you. Useful & true teachings come from many sources!

DS just got up & wants food. Have a great day! blowkiss.gif

~Manjari~ crafty lady, momma to DS Prahlad (3/07) and DD Daisy (7/10). Happily married to my Boo.
#126 of 202 Old 04-19-2011, 09:26 AM

[quote] That's no good. If you decide to say something to her about it, be emotionally prepared. I'd probably just keep a distance and only do family functions like birthdays. I'm sorry.[/quote]

I'm going to have to. I can no longer abide her passive-aggressive (and also more obvious) ploys and her superior attitude. It's just not OK. She's gotten really nasty anymore. Nasty-with-a-smile, if that makes any sense. She talks about us behind our backs and to our faces. She's a tightwad and grudges everything. She rolls her eyes and says very disrespectful things, and nastily accuses my child of being a pain when he's only being his age. This has been going on for years, and only this time have I finally realized it and am facing it. I grew up with June Cleaver, so it's really hard to deal with this. I can't tell if she's always been this way, or just gotten like this in the recent past years. My brother, who has dd's 21 and 16, complained of this same kind of behavior when his girls were little, so it can't be just me. But if I only do family functions, it's going to be hard when my mom confronts me on why I'm distant, as she is bound to do. We talk nearly every week. She lives an 8-hour drive from me, and we only see her like twice a year as it is. I have one brother who lives 14 hours in a different direction, so there ARE no "family functions". Ugh.

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

#127 of 202 Old 04-19-2011, 10:42 AM

Maybe write letters?  Phrase it in a "the phone is so impersonal, I'm really getting into the whole letter writing thing, so I wont be calling/taking calls every week but you'll be finding amazing stationary and cards in your mailbox soon" (and include a SASE with some neat cardstock as a show of good will).  It's kind of the revenge of the passive-aggressive, I know, but it might let you get a bit more "space" without being "distant".  And it could be very interesting/revealing to see what (if anything) she writes back.

My mom is similar, and I've had to accept that her own mental health concerns mean I'll never really have the mother I thought I did.  That doesn't make sense on the surface but it's sort of where I'm at these days... I thought my mom was X, and had all this angst and stress trying to be good enough for X.  But I've finally realized there is no X, X is a fantasy she sold me (and probably sold to herself) and there is no way I could ever, in a million years, live up to X because X keeps changing... it's not real, it doesn't play by any rules.  But I still find myself trying, and beating myself up more often than not.  It's a process and the only person I have any real influence over is myself.  I can't make her happy, so I have to make myself happy and let her decide how she'll respond to that.  So big hugs and hopes for a resolution that makes YOU and your son happy.

Cold, rainy, snowy here too... very grey.  AND... I found the hide-a-bed couch we were gifted with several months ago was FULL of mold.  It weighs a ton so I haven't moved it since we brought it home.  Well, it's not as comfy as our old couch and so I told DH that for the rest of the pregnancy comfy trumps nice looking so I wanted to swap the couches.  Well, I moved the gift couch and it had essentially grown into the floor!  Mildew and mold everywhere.  ICK ICK ICK!!!!!!!!!!!!!  DH helped me toss the couch outside (he'll strip it and sell the metal for scrap) and I sprayed down the floor but ack!  I wonder how much of our skin funk has been due to living with a giant mold factory?

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#128 of 202 Old 04-19-2011, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter

This totally makes sense and is so very wise
Quote:

Originally Posted by wombatclay View Post

My mom is similar, and I've had to accept that her own mental health concerns mean I'll never really have the mother I thought I did.  That doesn't make sense on the surface but it's sort of where I'm at these days... I thought my mom was X, and had all this angst and stress trying to be good enough for X.  But I've finally realized there is no X, X is a fantasy she sold me (and probably sold to herself) and there is no way I could ever, in a million years, live up to X because X keeps changing... it's not real, it doesn't play by any rules.  But I still find myself trying, and beating myself up more often than not.  It's a process and the only person I have any real influence over is myself.  I can't make her happy, so I have to make myself happy...

and yikes.gif about the mold/mildew issue!!

Work is work like today and I'm trying to motivate myself to finish what I have to do... in terms of writing more policies & procedures, but I feel like my goose is cooked on that front given what I've had to do this past year.  *sigh*  I can't wait for spring to come back as I'm done with the cold and rain and grey gloom of winter. 

Hope everyone is having a wonderful day!

treehugger.gifAnd you who seek to know Me, know that the seeking and yearning will avail you not, unless you know the Mystery: for if that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without.treehugger.gif

#129 of 202 Old 04-19-2011, 12:39 PM

Hay everyone, just popping in to say hi. This month has really been kicking my butt and I will be so glad when April is over. I didn't know it was possible for things to be this stressful. 

The weather here has been mostly hot, with a few storms. Normally I love stormy weather the rain and thunder relaxes me. But these storms have been putting me on edge. I don't know what's up right now.

Wife to a wonderful man, not a mommy yet but looking forward to when we are ready. 
"Love isn't something you find. Love is something that finds you." Loretta Young
#130 of 202 Old 04-20-2011, 05:57 AM

Hi everybody!  Trying to catch up on posts this morning, while DS is trying to climb me...he is so silly anymore!  I guess 13 month olds are like that!  So I will make this quick...

I looooooove the fairy room, it makes me want a little girl to decorate for (DS loves the ocean and fish, so thats his room).

I hope everyone actually gets some spring/summer weather soon.  We are well on our way to summer heat, and this week may get some of the storms that have been going across the country to go with it.

It is so hard to have problems with a relative, and I have come to the decision (based on the issues in our family with MIL) that I simply will not be around negative people, nor will my son.  If you cant accept us and be positive and nice, we will not see you.  Hope you can find some peace with that!

And our Easter celebration will be all about spring--we will play outside, dye eggs and hide them, then eat them after found, and carrying over into the Beltane celebration we will plant flowers.  The aforementioned MIL keeps trying to sneak Christian stuff into our lives and I keep rejecting it.  For example, she gave DS a couple bible story books for Christmas, which we promptly sold in a garage sale to someone who can appreciate them.  And she invited us, again, to her church for Easter, which is not going to happen.  I think she knows that, and does it to be obnoxious.  Oh well, I am full of good energy right now, and will not let her bring it down!

Have a great day everyone!

Rockstar, hippie, pirate mama to W (3-2-10), wifey to S for 2 years and going strong

selectivevax.giffly-by-nursing2.gifcd.gif  treehugger.gif

http://piratelady2525.blogspot.com/
#131 of 202 Old 04-20-2011, 06:03 AM

Morning all:)

Overcast, cool and looking like a day of rain ahead of us here in New Hampshire.  Rained all night too. 

Maia, (((hugs))). 

Today I think I am going to do some work around the house, maybe plant some seeds.  I planted some veggies over a week ago and some of them haven't produced anything?  I think I had the seeds too long. 

#132 of 202 Old 04-20-2011, 07:07 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Good morning, everyone!  I've been busy but reading along -- good wishes to all!  

Having a really slow thaw here, temps well below freezing every night, so it doesn't feel very springlike.

Was up in the night with a very sudden very sore throat - going to try to get in to my dr today for a throat swab.  It is very like my pattern for strep throat and I do NOT want to be dealing with that over the holiday.  I need to take some master tonic but not on an empty stomach.

#133 of 202 Old 04-20-2011, 07:57 AM

Morning! Kids and I are off to a meeting, we are trying to get a playgroup going based on Spirit Play/Godly Play, which is Montessori based. Should be interesting, if we can get it going!

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#134 of 202 Old 04-20-2011, 10:41 AM

Feel better, Aubergine! Thanks for the hug, redveg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View PostMaybe write letters?  Phrase it in a "the phone is so impersonal, I'm really getting into the whole letter writing thing, so I wont be calling/taking calls every week but you'll be finding amazing stationary and cards in your mailbox soon" (and include a SASE with some neat cardstock as a show of good will).  It's kind of the revenge of the passive-aggressive, I know, but it might let you get a bit more "space" without being "distant".  And it could be very interesting/revealing to see what (if anything) she writes back.

My mom is similar, and I've had to accept that her own mental health concerns mean I'll never really have the mother I thought I did.  That doesn't make sense on the surface but it's sort of where I'm at these days... I thought my mom was X, and had all this angst and stress trying to be good enough for X.  But I've finally realized there is no X, X is a fantasy she sold me (and probably sold to herself) and there is no way I could ever, in a million years, live up to X because X keeps changing... it's not real, it doesn't play by any rules.  But I still find myself trying, and beating myself up more often than not.  It's a process and the only person I have any real influence over is myself.  I can't make her happy, so I have to make myself happy and let her decide how she'll respond to that.  So big hugs and hopes for a resolution that makes YOU and your son happy.

I saw your mold story on FB. Ew! I don't doubt that some of your family's ills were from that!

No, I don't want to write letters, but thanks for the suggestion. I can't see her doing it anymore, either, what with how fast email and typing is by comparison. I am composing a letter, though, through email, and I am nearly done with it. I don't know what I expect out of it, if anything. I can't, though, keep going, without her knowing my feelings. I'd be lying if I hid them and just kept pretending everything's fine, when it isn't. I'm really, really weary and sad of going away from every visit feeling like a failure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piratelady2525 View PostThe aforementioned MIL keeps trying to sneak Christian stuff into our lives and I keep rejecting it.  For example, she gave DS a couple bible story books for Christmas, which we promptly sold in a garage sale to someone who can appreciate them.  And she invited us, again, to her church for Easter, which is not going to happen.  I think she knows that, and does it to be obnoxious.

Probably. My mom discovered that my DS has developed an interest in Christianity, and boy has she jumped all over that. I don't mind whatever religion he wants to be into, but let HIM be the one who asks questions! Grrr!

Two weeks exactly till I see M energy.gifluxlove.gif

DS's school "lost" his Spring photos. GRRR! He looked so debonair, too. I think they have to retake them. Which means dressing him up all over again eyesroll.gif

His first baseball game went well. They won 15-9 or something! DS struck out in his only at-bat, but it's all good. He's not showing fear anymore. And he fielded a ball out in right field. They look so spiffy in their uniforms!

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

#135 of 202 Old 04-20-2011, 12:10 PM

Thanks, Maia!  Hooray for sweet boys in baseball uniforms!

ktg, Cari moved recently and has had internet connection issues, I believe.  Hope she is back soon - I miss her posts, too!

Yuck about the mold, Clay!

I second the suggestion to do maki rolls if you can.  If not, a meal salad with almonds and an asian sesame-type dressing, perhaps?  I love broccoli salad -- maybe made with a vegan mayonaise so dairy and egg free? You could do buns on the side for those that can have gluten.

#136 of 202 Old 04-20-2011, 01:48 PM

Mmmmm... there's an asian shop we used to eat at in Boston that had the BEST dressing/dipping sauce.  Ginger, and Tamari, and Sesame Oil, and something else.  Grrrr... tip of the brain strikes again!

I actually got outside today when the weather warmed/cleared for a few hours.  Loverly!  Of course, I totally over did it... I built about ten feet of stone wall (gathering stones from the woods), raked out the various flower beds, threw down tons of flower seeds with the girls, kept Tor out of the creek/road/construction debris, and tried to tidy up the yard a bit.  Sigh... my muscles are going to declare a day of pain for tomorrow, I can tell.  but it was just sooooo nice outside.  And I couldn't just sit there in the mud looking at unfinished projects and early spring mess.  LOL

I want to get a "tree of tales" tattoo (a tree shape, but made up of quotations)... but I've been pregnant and/or breastfeeding for 7 years now and haven't been "available" for art.  The room has me inspired though and I think I might try to paint a tree of tales on the living room wall.  I haven't painted a mural in years (seriously, I think the last mural I worked on was in '97 or so) but I'm feeling like this project is important.

TM- I think things might be moving already!  I've been contacted by two different moms (who don't know each other) about creating a sort of homeschool co-op.  Which would mean we could withdraw from our current "driving intensive/budget busting" plans but still have weekly social gatherings and free time.  One mom wants to essentially "trade kids" with all the kiddos at her home for two days and then at my home for two days, the other is looking into hiring a person to teach/entertain/watch the kid group for a few hours twice a week.  I have a lot on my map about nurturing myself and building community and this seems like a great start!

mold- I bought another uv/hepa filter today and it's running in the living room.  Plus windows are open for an air exchange.  Here's hoping the funk flees and the healthy energies return!  I need to pick up more EOs though.  And oh you FE goddesses... what would you suggest for physical healing (specifically skin related), emotional healing/community building?

random mother issues- do any of you play Portal?  I was reading the wikipedia entry about GLaDOS (an AI in the game that is just an amazingly nasty character but in a really fun way) and there's a whole section on the psychology of GLaDOS... and she is described as having a narcissistic personality disorder.  The analysis actually gives a lot of insight into real world relationships that feature personality disorders, and it resonated with my personal experiences.  I think the most interesting insight for me was that individuals with these conditions often empower others, but only within a framework determined by the sufferer.  If the other person moves outside that framework the sufferer can become very destructive, cutting the person down until they return to the framework and are once again "available" for empowerment.  Anyway, it was interesting to stumble across such a timely analysis while on a totally unrelated quest.

read alouds- going to start either Book of Three (Chronicles of Prydain by LLoyd Alexander) or Howl's Moving Castle (by Dianna Wynne Jones).  Opinions?  Have you read either to your kiddos?  The girls were ok with Alice in Wonderland and Pippi Longstocking but hated Charlotte's Web and Little House in the Big Woods... I want to read something with the girls that is pagan friendly but still "chapter book"-ish with some actual plot.  The Hobbit, RiddleMaster of Hed, and the EarthSea Cycle are still too "thematic" I think, Wrinkle in Time is a bit too Christian for what I want, LWW/Narnia are much too Christian for us.  So what are other families reading?      So what

mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#137 of 202 Old 04-20-2011, 03:28 PM

Clay, a quick comment about the Chronicles of Narnia. My DH, raised Jewish, always thought that Narnia was a "Pagan paradise." (his words)He still doesn't fully see the Christian ideas in those books, even when I point them out. So I think that while *we* see the Christian themes, our kids may not because they aren't necessarily being raised that way. Does that make sense?

Maia, something does need to be said to your mother. I'm sorry things have gotten so sour. But at least you have a trip up here to look forward to!

Things at work...well, stink. I've been uncomfortable with things, and they've gotten worse. I don't know that I want to go totally into it here, but basically, I'm waiting for the other ball to drop, and have my coworker go off on me. The worst part? I didn't even do anything wrong, other than listening to my coworker go off on tirades at work, and my boss confronting me on it for my implicit role. I don't want things to get any worse for my coworker, but I'm not going to lie about what is happening. My coworker is exactly like my toxic mother was (she's long deceased) so I have a hard time telling her to be, well, a reasonable person because it'll go over like a lead balloon. But now I'm going to be painted as a stool pigeon or something. UGH!!!  I have no idea what to do other than try to explain to my boss exactly what I have told you all.

Not exactly looking forward to the weekend. We're headed to NJ on Friday, then another 1 1/2 hour trip to see relatives we don't really like, and back home Sunday. We were kind of hoping to have a late Passover seder, but DH's grandmother won't do it because seders are for the first two nights only. Whatever. but I'm trying my hand at GF matzo balls, so let's hope they work out.

Come ponder with me about food!
#138 of 202 Old 04-20-2011, 03:44 PM

wombatclay -- a really great book imo is Treasure At the Heart of the Tanglewood by Meredith Ann Pierce. I'm not sure how old your children are but it might be ok for them. Or The Song of the Lioness quartet by Tamora Pierce, those books are still some of my favorites to curl up and read. I don't have any kids of my own yet, but I'm trying to remember what I enjoyed reading when I was younger. 

ETA - I also was unaware of the christian theme in the Narnia books until I was in my teens and it was pointed out to me. 

#139 of 202 Old 04-20-2011, 04:07 PM

pagan read alouds- I wonder if we could create a facebook group or something, where we could list different resources? Off the top of my head, I am coming up blank. We are reading Huck Finn, which isn't at all a pagan. We really enjoyed Peter Pan. Anything Pirates would work for my kids, though Treasure Island is the only book I can think of at the Moment. we have read The Unicorn Secret. I am so bad at remembering titles and authors.

#140 of 202 Old 04-20-2011, 05:11 PM

Mmm.... a restaurant I used to work at on the Outer Banks had their own soy-ginger salad dressing. I was responsible for making it many a time, but dang if I can remember how it was done. I know there was soy sauce, fresh grated ginger (I hated that job!), I think maybe sesame oil? And garlic. Maybe water...there were only like 5 ingredients. It was so, so yummy...I wish I could remember it. I googled and didn't find anything like. I don't think it had vinegar. Maybe it did.

I do remember how to make blue cheese, though yummy.gif

Clay, you gathered and built 10 feet of stone wall all by yourself?? In one day? AND all that other stuff, including taking care of littles? bow.gif You truly are amazing.

DS has been behaving SO well. So well. I've been so happy. Then tonight he had to go and pull some whimpering, whining tantrum because he said he didn't understand his homework, and I made him do the whole thing, when earlier I had said he only had to do part of it. Um, duh, ya don't understand it-- you didn't bring it home for weeks, and it was during the uber-disrespectful-to-the-teachers time period! Hello, bring your homework home every week? Perhaps, I dunno...keep up? eyesroll.gif

Not to mention it's conversions-- from, say, feet to miles. And the tables for referencing were right there on the homework sheet. He's a really smart kid. He was just being an arse.

ETA: Oh yeah, I forgot-- the catchphrase at ds's school is "What the crap?" Like, what the heck. Only they say crap. I HATE that word, utterly hate it. M considers it a swear. I don't, but for me there are swear words, and all the other words, and then a gray area of words that are not-swear words, but offensive-- like "crap". What would y'all do if yours was saying something like that all the time? Gawd, it's just awful.

Oh, the letter to my mom. I think it's finished. I sent it to M to get his opinion, and he thinks it's good as is. Probably will send tomorrow. Ugh. She has no idea at all that there was any problem. I really hate opening a can of worms. But if I don't, it will keep happening, and it's not acceptable. I just wish I'd sent it when it was really acute, like the day after we got home. It just took me that long to compose it. Ugh, ugh, and ugh.

#141 of 202 Old 04-20-2011, 06:20 PM

Clay - how about books by E. Nesbit?  The Five Children and It.  The Phoenix and the Carpet.  The Enchanted Castle.  The Magic City. The Story of the Amulet is my favorite....all pretty pagan, really, for the time.  There are a number of obscureish ones, including one about a castle made of blocks that children shrunk and played in by moonlight - The Magic City?  I haven't read it since I was a child.

My sons are over the moon crazy in love with Bruce Coville novels. The Monsters of Morley Manor and Juliet Dove, Queen of Love have been favorites.  V. pagan.  Also his Unicorn books.  The first we read by him was the Goblins in the Castle.  Which reminds me of George Macdonald and The Princess and The Goblins.....

How about Roald Dahl?

I second the Tamora Pierce rec.  The Protector of the Small series, about a girl who takes her brother's place to train for a knight might be a good place to start with your girls.  The heroines in Pierce's books age over the course of the series and usually are having sexual relationships by the final book, so you may want to preview the later ones.

#142 of 202 Old 04-20-2011, 07:32 PM

I'd totally forgotten about E nesbitt... those might be perfect!  (And there are some "younger" Andre Norton books that are specifically "magical").  My kiddos are 6yo, 3yo, and 1.5yo and very quirky when it comes to what is ok and what isn't... for example, Ro (the 3yo) adores Nightmare Before Christmas but literally will not stay in the room if there is an ad for Wall-E (she even hides from Wall-E images in stores).  And Laia (6yo) is similar.  So I've decided to just go for the off-beat and slightly twisted morality tales since the straight up classics seem to leave them crying.  We tried James and the Giant Peach and it wasn't a hit, but I wonder of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory might go over better?  Or perhaps the BFG?  I remember BFG was a read aloud at school in second grade so it might work...

Narnia- I know many people didn't see the Christian themes (DH read the series as a young teen and didn't notice anything till I pointed it out a few years after we met) but I seriously can not have those books in my house.  Narnia, A Pilgrim's Progess, Hind's Feet on High Places, The Space Trilogy (Out of the Silent Planet, Perelandra, That Hideous Strength)... all those books literally make me feel sick to my stomach.  It's odd because I don't have a similar reaction to other "adult" religious fantasy (from the over-the-top stuff like Piercing the Darkness to the more subdued Joshua books) and I'm totally fine with the Christian assumptions/symbology of many classic works of literature (from children's lit like Macdonald's books up to adult lit like the Lord of the Rings which is actually a pretty strong component in "why I am the sort of Pagan I am").  I think it comes down to a sense of the author's purpose, maybe?  CS Lewis is a great author and a fascinating person, but his post-conversion fantasy writing is almost... well, it's like he traded actual literature for propaganda wrapped in literary form.  Some is more open than others (and I have less of a problem with the Screwtape Letters for example than I do with Narnia), but the subtext that if you're a good person you're "really" Christian even if you don't know it yet just puts my teeth on edge and the hidden marketing to children just pushes it over the top.  I understand convert zeal, I really do, but argh!  I remember being about 7 or 8 and "figuring out" the whole Narnia backstory and being absolutely furious (and insulted that he thought he was being so sneaky)... and that was even as a devoted and observant orthodox Catholic.  Of course, I think I was mostly annoyed that he wasn't shouting his religious affiliation/purpose from the rooftops but still.  LOL

Sorry... didn't mean to go all ranty there.  It's just that Narnia is a real trigger for me in terms of memories of spiritual abuse.  And yes, I realize that CS Lewis never made it "all the way" to the Roman Catholic Church.  It was one of the factors that ultimately led to Lewis and Tolkien parting ways.

Maia- well, it's ten feet long but only about a foot high.  LOL  We have lots of rocks on our property and I've been dragging them into order, mostly to create "square foot garden" units or "do not walk on my flowers oh you crazy children" spaces.  With the sunny and warm weather today (high 50s, low 60s!) the kiddos mostly dug holes and played with worms while I went back and forth and back and forth and back and forth from the woods to the area I'm walling in now.  I'm actually using these particular stone walls as a feng shui remedy... our house is shapes like an L now that we have the addition on tha back and the "missing bit" is wealth/fame.  Not good!  So while I have some remedies hanging inside, I'm also aligning these particular walls to create a sort of extension of our house, "filling in" the missing portion.  I think it'll end up being nice... I circled the lemon balm with a stone wall, I built a sort of rectangle around the space that holds the hostas, and then a larger square enclosure that will probably be a sort of meditation garden.  I want to build at least one more rectangle, probably three more but at least one, to hold rainbow chard.  The veggie garden is on the hill next to the chicken run, but we love chard, and rainbow chard is so pretty.... so at least one rectangle of rainbow shard, and another rectangle of rosemary and lavender plants.  (or one of rosemary and one of lavender)

I'll admit I'm handicapped by the fact that I really don't enjoy being outside/getting sweaty/digging dirt but the end results are worth it and I just can't help myself!  After I cleaned out the existing flower beds and helped the girls plant seeds in a few of them I felt like I'd actually done something.  Huzzah!  (oh, the girls planted chamomile, poppies, and johnny jump ups... I have a bunch of marigold seeds ready for another space too)

OK, Dh jsut went to bed and I'd better turn in too!  night all...

#143 of 202 Old 04-21-2011, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aubergine68 View Post

Was up in the night with a very sudden very sore throat - going to try to get in to my dr today for a throat swab.  It is very like my pattern for strep throat and I do NOT want to be dealing with that over the holiday.  I need to take some master tonic but not on an empty stomach.

Hope you feel better.

Quote:

Two weeks exactly till I see M energy.gifluxlove.gif

How exciting:)  I hope those two weeks don't drag along:)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aubergine68 View Post

ktg, Cari moved recently and has had internet connection issues, I believe.  Hope she is back soon - I miss her posts, too!

Me too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View Post

I want to get a "tree of tales" tattoo (a tree shape, but made up of quotations)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by witchygrrl View Post

Things at work...well, stink. I've been uncomfortable with things, and they've gotten worse. I don't know that I want to go totally into it here, but basically, I'm waiting for the other ball to drop, and have my coworker go off on me. The worst part? I didn't even do anything wrong, other than listening to my coworker go off on tirades at work, and my boss confronting me on it for my implicit role. I don't want things to get any worse for my coworker, but I'm not going to lie about what is happening. My coworker is exactly like my toxic mother was (she's long deceased) so I have a hard time telling her to be, well, a reasonable person because it'll go over like a lead balloon. But now I'm going to be painted as a stool pigeon or something. UGH!!!  I have no idea what to do other than try to explain to my boss exactly what I have told you all.

Not exactly looking forward to the weekend. We're headed to NJ on Friday, then another 1 1/2 hour trip to see relatives we don't really like, and back home Sunday. We were kind of hoping to have a late Passover seder, but DH's grandmother won't do it because seders are for the first two nights only. Whatever. but I'm trying my hand at GF matzo balls, so let's hope they work out.

I hope the work issues get solved quickly.  It's difficult to go to a place everyday with all that going on.  Hope your trip is good.

Quote:

Oh, the letter to my mom. I think it's finished. I sent it to M to get his opinion, and he thinks it's good as is. Probably will send tomorrow. Ugh. She has no idea at all that there was any problem. I really hate opening a can of worms. But if I don't, it will keep happening, and it's not acceptable. I just wish I'd sent it when it was really acute, like the day after we got home. It just took me that long to compose it. Ugh, ugh, and ugh.

Thinking about you, hope the letter is received well by your Mom.  I once wrote my father a long letter pouring my heart out all he said was "I don't agree", oh well. 

Clay I just want to mention that Tattoo sounds awesome!!

#144 of 202 Old 04-21-2011, 02:01 PM

wow about the narnia book. i had never even heard of or thought about it that way. interesting.

well i haven't been getting on here too much lately. I have been kinda busy. Which is cool bc usually i would not have had enough energy to stay busy. pretty cool. i have been baking bread, restoring a cast iron dutch oven, figuring out how to can chicken broth, going to 5 different stores every time I need to get groceries, doing laundry, packing school lunches, making stuff from scratch, and going to doctor appts. that was the last 2 days. that is 300% more than i used to do.

i did take the kids to a geneticist. she diagnosed me and my son as having ehlers-danlose syndrome type 3. a connective tissue disorder. totally explains almost every symptom etc the hypoglycemia. but hopefully we will be able to figure that out too. but for now i am thick into the deep pf figuring out what we can eat and what we need to eat. oh and blogging. i started that too. mostly so that if there is someone out there like me, maybe they will find it and they will learn something. i dont really have anybody to teach me, i have been figuring it all out on my own. i have found lots of places to find helpful info and i want to share what i learned with other people who are like me.

http://as-above-so-below.blogspot.com/

i plan on taking pictures regularly of the things i make and recipes i come up with.

oh and the EDS explains the way cold hurts my hands too.

Me,DH,DS1'95, '98,DSD'03,DD1'07,DD2'09,DS2'12 Living with Fructose Malabsorption Syndrome and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome Type 3-Hypermobility.)o( and sometimes I get toif I am lucky.
#145 of 202 Old 04-21-2011, 06:16 PM

Lioness- It must be both good to have a diagnosis, but at the same time, hard to grasp and understand. *hugs* Does the fibro just another layer or are you not considered to have fibro anymore?  I hope the dietician can give you some good ideas, helping the kids make changes must be hard.

We visited the Roger Tory Peterson Institute today, and watched all the pretty birds as they flew to the feeders. At one point all the birds the were snacking flew away, they parted in the middle, some going to the left, the others to the right. They left so suddenly, almost like a weird parting of the sea moment. hehe I wish I had a picture of that.

#146 of 202 Old 04-21-2011, 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wombatclay View PostNarnia- I know many people didn't see the Christian themes (DH read the series as a young teen and didn't notice anything till I pointed it out a few years after we met)

probably three more but at least one, to hold rainbow chard.  The veggie garden is on the hill next to the chicken run, but we love chard, and rainbow chard is so pretty

I don't see it, either. The only part that seemed overtly Christian to me was the part about "Daughter of Eve" and "Son of Adam". I honestly don't see the rest at all! I'd have to have it pointed out, too. Maybe I'll just stay ignorant, lol, because I have only seen the first movie, which I loved, and I want to see the others.

Oh, I SO love rainbow chard yummy.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by redveg View PostHow exciting:)  I hope those two weeks don't drag along:)

Thinking about you, hope the letter is received well by your Mom.  I once wrote my father a long letter pouring my heart out all he said was "I don't agree", oh well. 

They won't drag. It's going to be an utter whirlwind, because DS leaves for his class trip the day before, so I've got uber packing to do, and our ex-roomie is going to pick DS up that Friday when he gets back, and I won't get back till after the weekend.

The letter-- I sent it. I've been rather down in the dumps most of the day over it. I hate that I feel that way, I hate that I felt compelled to write it, I hate that I had to send it. I hate that my Mom doesn't even know I felt that way, and I know she will be blindsided by the news of what I wrote in there. Which is another thing I hate, because I've felt that way for a LONG time, and we had a confrontation a couple years ago over a very similar situation. There have been smallish confrontations over the years, but only this time have I realized they're a constant theme. Each incident isn't isolated, like I guess I thought greensad.gif I'm just so sad. My mom doesn't like me. She loves me, very much, I know, and my son too, but she doesn't like us at all. We're an embarrassment and an inconvenience. It just really hurts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionessMom View Postwell i haven't been getting on here too much lately. I have been kinda busy. Which is cool bc usually i would not have had enough energy to stay busy. pretty cool. i have been baking bread, restoring a cast iron dutch oven, figuring out how to can chicken broth, going to 5 different stores every time I need to get groceries, doing laundry, packing school lunches, making stuff from scratch, and going to doctor appts. that was the last 2 days. that is 300% more than i used to do.

oh and the EDS explains the way cold hurts my hands too.

You have been busy! But it sounds like a really good busy.

My hands suffer from constant cold lately, too headscratch.gif I have Reynaud's in two or three fingers, but that's not it. Plus the hand injury in the beginning of March is finally starting to really heal, I think (as in 'feel normal') but it feels extra cold, now, too. It's most uncomfortable.

#147 of 202 Old 04-21-2011, 06:33 PM

Hello lovely mamas :)  Sorry I haven't been 'around' for the better part of a month.. maybe more?? We are finally all moved in, but still getting some non essentials unpacked honestly!  Nothing is hung up on the walls yet even lol.  I have been working about 4 evenings a week, plus every other weekend, so I'm just wiped out and feel like I never have time to get anything done.  When I signed on I was set to work about 4 days a fortnight,  now it's over double that most of the time :(    My supervisor is leaving, and causing havoc on his way out.... he isn't officially gone till the end of may but ye gods, I don't know if our service will survive that long!  We are actually (me and two trusted coworkers) suspicious that he is attempting to make sure that the service looks bad and does not get continued funding now that he's going.  So, I am slyly job hunting just in case.. not happy at all.  

This past week my dh's van just died.. and I mean died... the timing belt broke and the amount it would cost just to get it pulled apart and looked at was insane.  And also more than we're willing to pay (or more than we had on hand! lol)  SO  we are now the proud owners of a 08 toyota hiace vann (just your avg white panel delivery van hehe)  and dh is SO happy that he will not have any more worries about reliability issues with his job.  Now we are saving up a bit of cash so we can repair the old one to sell off. 

It's school holidays here right now... the boys are off till next wednesday!  They've been off since Friday last week so it's a nice 10ish day break.  Just before the break, Lucas had a VERY. BAD.DAY at school and had to spend the day in admin.   He's having issues with frustration, being able to concentrate, and some social issues (although he DOES Have a couple of friends that we see often around the park) so we've been working with the guidance team to get extra supports in place to help him out, and I've gotten a referral to a ped. for the middle of June (soonest available) to see if they can help.     Connor on the other hand, is doing FABULOUSLY.  So at least I get a break there ;) 

The new house & neighborhood rock... the kids are over at the park as often as not lol, as it is literally across the street.  Almost every afternoon a couple of their friends from school knock on the door to see if they want to play handball or hit the park.  They're really loving that, as our old neighborhood was not that sort of place at all.  Loving sitting out on the little veranda (it's really a covered patio, but doesn't veranda sound nicer? hehe)  drinking coffee with hubby and watching the kookaburra's and owls (tawny frogmouths) swoop around in the evenings.   We still have no lead time on proper internet and it's annoying as hades,  but we're hoping it won't be TOO long.  

DH just came home from the park, apparently one of the boys friends' just broke his arm!  Poor kid,  really lucky though that dh was there with Quinn or the poor boy would have never made it home.  DH farmed out the various kids to go get his parents, and to help him sit up in case he got dizzy and they got him loaded into the car and off to the ER.  I had just evicted daim from the computer so I could work on the budget & bills, which led to him going to the park.. convenient!  I'll pop over tonight maybe, to make sure he is ok and introduce myself to his mum I think.

I'll try not to be such a stranger, but it's hard to do a lot online with this silly mobile net... it cuts out all the time and half the time I end up raging in frustration at the silly thing!   Much love to you mamas!

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
#148 of 202 Old 04-21-2011, 06:47 PM

Hi again. I'll try to keep up but I'm busy and tired these days. I haven't had a chance to read through everything but I miss you mamas.

DeShanna mommy to at home learnin' dd10/03dust.gif, ds 04/05jammin.gif and new baby ds 12/10boc.gif lovin' dh C )O( You can't find peace, until you find all of your pieces.
#149 of 202 Old 04-22-2011, 06:41 AM

Welcome back Cari and unschoolin'! Missed you!!

I'm feeling such horrible guilt over sending that letter to my mom. I know it was necessary and I know I needed to get my feelings out, but now I'm second-guessing myself and wondering if maybe I should have just left well enough alone without causing MORE trouble. It's also a huge respect issue-- I wasn't raised like that, to confront my parents on things. I'm feeling so anxious and sad. I'm feeling so sorry for probably hurting my mom. I'm also feeling like I'm 14 again, or something-- why can't I feel like a grown-up with her? Dang.

It really needed to get out, though. I was building stuff up inside and that's not healthy. All these years, though, I've thought our family was the least dysfunctional I know, compared to friends and what-not. It's really disappointing to find that it wasn't, maybe, after all, and that I was possibly delusional about it. Also I think that my mom-- she was awesome when I was a kid, being all involved with PTA and helping with homework and being the best SAHM in the world and making our lunches every day and making us clothes and taking us places and giving hugs and reading stories. But I think what happened is, I think she "did her duty" and really doesn't like kids at all and wants her life back. Which doesn't include family, I dunno. Ugh.

#150 of 202 Old 04-22-2011, 09:15 AM

Happy Earth Day ladies!

I hope you're feeling better Aubergine.

Witchy, good luck getting the issue resolved w/ your co-worker.

Maia- I hope your mom sees where she can do things differently & responds with love. hug2.gif

My DS is only 4 and he says crap from time to time. When he thinks that something is hilarious, he'll say it & slap his leg. I'd prefer that he didn't, but I'm not really bothered by it. He says plenty of other curses too. Sheepish.gif My FIL told my that he caught the tail of DS talking to SIL and it went something like, "sh*t and h*ll and d*mn!"  I always tell him that just because he hears it that doesn't mean he needs to say it...at least we've stayed clear of the F bomb and other more vulgar ones!

Well, I had more responses, but a dirty diaper & a hungry boy called me away & I've forgot the rest. Wishing you all well, sorry about the generic nature of that!

We are cat sitting. I really want a kitty, but we've decided to wait until we're done with diapers & have more income. This little visit is nice though, except for the drool. He is the only cat I ever knew to drool when he's happy.

Oh, and books. It's been awhile since I read this one, but The Birth Of The Fire-bringer is a good one about a unicorn. I want to re-read it, but the library didn't have a copy. I'll try to think of more.

Have a great day!

~Manjari~ crafty lady, momma to DS Prahlad (3/07) and DD Daisy (7/10). Happily married to my Boo.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page