Looking for NAC members, past or present, any altars/ fireplaces - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-26-2011, 09:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'd really like to connect with any native american church folks. I feel super private about the issues I'd like to address, so please don't mind if I don't lead with my story. I'll speak up when I know some friends from that circle are listening, but it doesn't feel right to just speak to the general world right off the bat.

So... anyone out there?

Thanks.

Mom of one child (2008), wife of one husband, tender of dogs, cats and chickens. Household interests: ocean life (kid), bitcoins (husband), simplifying (me).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2011, 04:39 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I am not part of the NAC, but sure would join in a heartbeat of there were one in little ol VT.
I had asked about anyone that would like to talk about the NAC a few months back and it didn't go anywhere. My dh is Cherokee and many of the traditions feel so right to me.
I hope you find what you are looking for.
Old 05-06-2011, 07:50 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the good wishes. If you have specific Qs about the Native American Church, I might be able to help some with that. Feel free to hijack here or pm me.

The NAC was the focus of my life at one time, so I'm hoping others who have sat in those circles might check in here too.

Mom of one child (2008), wife of one husband, tender of dogs, cats and chickens. Household interests: ocean life (kid), bitcoins (husband), simplifying (me).

Old 05-07-2011, 07:35 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
To be honest, I don't know the first thing about the NA church specifically, but I love the wisdom of the elders, the ceremonies, and many areas of earthy spirituality. Not sure if the church actually touches in these areas anyway, but that is what resonates in my heart.

I would love it if we had more join this thread!
Old 05-07-2011, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter

I just checked back to your thread that you mentioned, and you got such a great response from wombatclay there...

Here's another tricky aspect to learning more about many Native American spiritual ways that I've experienced as a non-native person (I'm white):

Kind of like the hollywood version of a spiritual quest in which the quester must ask 3 times before getting an answer, many elders and spiritual teachers in Native American traditions will NOT answer questions from outsiders, at least not in the way that a non-native person might expect. I found it helpful (though difficult) to abandon non-native forms of questioning, and watch how children are taught. Then I imagined that I was a child and tried to listen as the native kids did. I heard more that way, but still not as much as I was being told.

I'm all for changing the title of this thread and seeing if others want to jump in on a general conversation about NA spirituality, or one specific to how to approach traditions from others' cultures. Or, bluebird, would you like to restart a new thread with a different title?

User Tag List