May Pagan Circle - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 212 Old 05-07-2011, 01:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittywitty View Post

Oh, I started a closed group on facebook as a pagan study group. I'm reading Inner Temple AGAIN and was wondering if anyone is interested in reading along or just wants a safe, private place to discuss pagan-y things. If so, Clay, Caz, I know you're my friends on fb, let me know if anyone wants in, or feel free to leave the group if I add you and you are not interested. smile.gif

Am I kitty? lol (I have trouble keeping up with real vs net nicknames! so I probably am, just not connecting it at the moment)  Please do add me if you haven't already :) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigo73 View Post

Yippee!  I am done with school for the year.  I haven't looked forward to summer so much ever before.  (I am NOT found of hot weather.) And got one of my grades back already B+.  I may have to wait up to a week for the other two but maybe not both professors are pretty with it.  Now I can catch up on my big pile of reading, get my flowers planted, think through my bucket garden and see if I am too late seeds & if I should buy some plants instead and I can knit.  I have a bunch of babies to knit for and maybe get some of my Christmas knitting finished since I am taking 4 classes, all heavy reading, in the Fall.

I hope everyone has lovely visits, sounds like fun.

Congrats!!  It does sound like your summer will be SUPER busy lol... I'm actually getting the urge to try knitting again so I may join you (although I'll be knitting a scarf only lol)

Quote:

What is with today???

My great-aunt died, my ex quit his job, cutting off $800 a month for us and insurance which we desperately needed. Then my dd's tsh came back at over 170 again. Jeez. I need a vacation from today. Something involving chocolate and vodka on a beach.

Bloody hell!?!  Note to the universe, can we have just ONE sucky thing per day at a maximum? lol  Chocolate + vodka + beach sounds good to me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by redveg View Post

Morning:)

Today is a beautiful day so I am going to get in the garden while I can.  Have to fence it off today my dogs and my pig keep stepping on my plants:(  Anyone have anything for the weekend?  Nothing here, just hope it's nice so we can spend time outside:)

Well today I knocked around at the park with the littles while dh took the teenager to the mall for a couple of hours :)  He wanted to spend his birthday cash on a game.. that couldn't be found unfortunately!  The weather was just wonderful today... sunny with a cool breeze... I love autumn in australia!  I've told dh that while we may not have the money now, I'd like another stacking planter for mothers day.. along with soil to fill both of them, and a selection of herbs for one and more strawberries for the other!    Tomorrow we're off to the in laws :D  the males are helping dad relocate furniture downstairs because the crew to sand & polish the hardwood floors upstairs arrives on Tuesday.   We're going to have a mothers day lunch of nibbles ... just things like panini, cold meat & cheese & antipasto type stuff.  I got mum a gorgeous bouquet of flowers... I don't normally buy cut flowers, but mum is literally the person who has everything lol.   She does love flowers though!

I'm hiding from my boss,  I've worked my backend off this last 2 weeks (I had a 6day straight run that killed)  and I am NOT going in to work, I don't care if the place burns down! lol (it's just an office, clients don't live there hehe)  Hope my favourite group of mamas has a collectively wonderful mother's day!

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 212 Old 05-07-2011, 07:47 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
hug2.gif Manjari!

I am so horrible at keeping up with usernames/real names, too. My name is Desiree. wink1.gif Have a fun Mother's Day!

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#63 of 212 Old 05-07-2011, 10:09 AM

So DH didn't get a second interview with the school from Wednesday. They sent a letter instead of calling or emailing. BUT he has an interview with ANOTHER school this Tuesday! So here's hoping!!!! I kept trying not to put all our eggs in this basket, so it feels good to have another chance. I just want ONE school to pan out, you know?

Dh's Medicine Wheel class also got canceled, so it's been somewhat of a disappointing day for him. I feel so bad.

Going to see Maiasaura again today! But what thunder and lightening! This should be interesting!

Come ponder with me about food!
#64 of 212 Old 05-07-2011, 03:58 PM

Quote:

hug2.gif Manjari!

I am so horrible at keeping up with usernames/real names, too. My name is Desiree. wink1.gif Have a fun Mother's Day!

Aha... I've gotcha now :)  Yep you are definitely on my list thumb.gif  Have a wonderful mothers day mama!

Quote:
Originally Posted by witchygrrl View Post

So DH didn't get a second interview with the school from Wednesday. They sent a letter instead of calling or emailing. BUT he has an interview with ANOTHER school this Tuesday! So here's hoping!!!! I kept trying not to put all our eggs in this basket, so it feels good to have another chance. I just want ONE school to pan out, you know?

Dh's Medicine Wheel class also got canceled, so it's been somewhat of a disappointing day for him. I feel so bad.

Going to see Maiasaura again today! But what thunder and lightening! This should be interesting!

Bummer that he didn't get the 2nd interview, but hope this new one works out for him!   Will think good thoughts for you both :D

Happy mothers day (slightly early for you mamas, just on time for me hehe) my friends!  I woke up this morning to the kids arguing as per usual *sigh* lol   But then dh went down and helped them make me my favourite breakfast (toast, with sliced tomatos on it, lots of pepper then a sprinkling of cheese melted over the top in the broiler :)  NOM)  and the boys gave me their pressies.  They had a booth at the school Friday and the boys were so excited that they've been itching to give me something since then lol.  It turns out that they both picked out the exact same things for me because they both knew I'd like them lol... at totally separate times though :)   We're off to MIL's in a while for lunch and a visit. 

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
#65 of 212 Old 05-07-2011, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by witchygrrl View Post

I'm sorry. greensad.gif FWIW, the school across the street is hiring right now. 2 positions. It's a Catholic school, though. lol.gif

#66 of 212 Old 05-07-2011, 11:51 PM

goodness gracious. What a week!  Sister has been (very softly, off and on) laboring for a while now, had her membranes stripped, chiro adjustment, acupuncture, etc all done yesterday.  I spent the night at her house after walking around the neighborhood (and she used the breastpump. I didn't assist that part. lol) and stuff was definitely increasing in frequency, but then petered out enough for her to sleep.  All day today she was having even milder ctx so the midwives gave her something to help her sleep and afaik she has been resting ever since.  I had to leave her to do an 8 hour catering shift for this crazy big fancy wedding.  Just now got home and showered and some food (it's 1:45. bah)

Anyway, crazy high energy. Thought I'd post and check in, since I'm not quite wound down yet. Hopefully I sleep great and awake to the call to meet sis at the birth center!

Has anyone heard of the book "A Discovery of Witches"?  It's a novel, not realistic, and really very good.  There are three classes of "non humans" in it, witches, vampires, and daemons.  It loaded accidentally to our kindle (seriously, I didn't load it and my mama didn't.  It WANTED to be read) and I really loved it.  Now I have to wait for the next one to come out. pooh. 

Ok, I'm actually starting to get a little tired.  um...  I want to fill you in on all the stuff I've been up to, but I'll have to do it later. nighty night, y'all.

Shelley, mom to dd 5/19/01, ds 9/06/02, and ds 4/01/07.  Lost babe 4/09

belly.gifDue 12/18/12!

#67 of 212 Old 05-08-2011, 07:10 AM

Morning Dear Ladies!

Witchy- Crossing fingers for your dh!

Update on my friend- she has no new news, so we are in this weird limbo. Everyday I wake up and quick check my phone to make sure I didn't miss a call from her. Right now, I am handling it and not feeling as anxious, and I check in with her on facebook. The not knowing is almost harder, somehow.

Spent the day with the fam and went to Outback Steakhouse for dinner. It is quite good and a nice break from cooking. I even looked at a dress for my brother's wedding. I will post a link later, since I need some input. My soon to be sis in law, wants us to buy a whatever dress, which is fine in theory but my size isn't always easy to accomodate (my hips are the the main problem). I also need to co-ordinate with my sister. Otherwise, not much to report. My girls come home tomorrow, and I am ready to have them back. Breaks are nice but I missed them, a lot!

Happy Mother's Day all you beautiful witchy women!!

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#68 of 212 Old 05-08-2011, 10:51 AM

dress

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#69 of 212 Old 05-08-2011, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommamanjari View PostOne of my bosses is in a rehab hospital for people who have addiction/alcohol problems. I had no idea that she relapsed. She confides a lot in me-almost going into the realm of my being her therapist, but I didn't see it coming. She is my friend & like another mother to me, but it had been hard to see her every week for quite some time. (I clean her house) I have long been wishing to be free of the financial need to work there mainly to have some space from her, but now I feel terrible for her & her family. Her husband wants to divorce her. For now they still want me to work, but I have no idea what to expect when she comes home. I love her & wish her the best, but am now feeling guilty for my recent feelings. I know it's not my fault, but...still. *sigh*

That's so hard, manjari hug2.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by CariOfOz View PostI got mum a gorgeous bouquet of flowers... I don't normally buy cut flowers, but mum is literally the person who has everything lol.   She does love flowers though!

I love them, too. Did I mention that M got me a bouquet of blush roses the other day? luxlove.gif They're beautiful. I wish I could bring them home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by witchygrrl View PostSo DH didn't get a second interview with the school from Wednesday. They sent a letter instead of calling or emailing. BUT he has an interview with ANOTHER school this Tuesday! So here's hoping!!!! I kept trying not to put all our eggs in this basket, so it feels good to have another chance. I just want ONE school to pan out, you know?

I hope he gets the job on Tuesday. He'd be such a hip teacher!

I feel bad that it was so dang crowded in that store that I didn't have much availability to talk to you. Plus it was so uncomfortably hot in there! M was having issues and needed to get OUT of there, and I knew it, and I just kind of felt torn in fifty directions. We sure do have to keep in touch, though. I'd love to hang out with you more. How cool that you got to meet M, though, huh? orngbiggrin.gif And I got to meet your family. Your dd is just darling. How is she liking her Owly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeress View PostUpdate on my friend- she has no new news, so we are in this weird limbo. Everyday I wake up and quick check my phone to make sure I didn't miss a call from her. Right now, I am handling it and not feeling as anxious, and I check in with her on facebook. The not knowing is almost harder, somehow.

Any news? Hugs, you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeress View Postdress

Ooooh. That's pretty. It would look awesome on a hippy woman. I'd wear it in a heartbeat!

Tomorrow I go home, mamas greensad.gif I don't want to go, but I do miss my boy something terrible. I hope I can get my house sold. I have to put it on the market soon, again. Any tips for finding a decent realtor? There are SO, so many. And I hated the first two. They started out like gangbusters and just...fizzled.

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

#70 of 212 Old 05-08-2011, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millie Ivy View Post

goodness gracious. What a week!  Sister has been (very softly, off and on) laboring for a while now, had her membranes stripped, chiro adjustment, acupuncture, etc all done yesterday.  I spent the night at her house after walking around the neighborhood (and she used the breastpump. I didn't assist that part. lol) and stuff was definitely increasing in frequency, but then petered out enough for her to sleep.  All day today she was having even milder ctx so the midwives gave her something to help her sleep and afaik she has been resting ever since.  I had to leave her to do an 8 hour catering shift for this crazy big fancy wedding.  Just now got home and showered and some food (it's 1:45. bah)

Anyway, crazy high energy. Thought I'd post and check in, since I'm not quite wound down yet. Hopefully I sleep great and awake to the call to meet sis at the birth center!

Has anyone heard of the book "A Discovery of Witches"?  It's a novel, not realistic, and really very good.  There are three classes of "non humans" in it, witches, vampires, and daemons.  It loaded accidentally to our kindle (seriously, I didn't load it and my mama didn't.  It WANTED to be read) and I really loved it.  Now I have to wait for the next one to come out. pooh. 

Ok, I'm actually starting to get a little tired.  um...  I want to fill you in on all the stuff I've been up to, but I'll have to do it later. nighty night, y'all.

Your poor sister!  Hopefully things get into gear for her... that long drawn out early labour thing is a nuisance!   And we are non humans?  righteous!  I've felt for a long time that human beings are not a club I care to be a member of sometimes :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeress View Post

Morning Dear Ladies!

Spent the day with the fam and went to Outback Steakhouse for dinner. It is quite good and a nice break from cooking. I even looked at a dress for my brother's wedding. I will post a link later, since I need some input. My soon to be sis in law, wants us to buy a whatever dress, which is fine in theory but my size isn't always easy to accomodate (my hips are the the main problem). I also need to co-ordinate with my sister. Otherwise, not much to report. My girls come home tomorrow, and I am ready to have them back. Breaks are nice but I missed them, a lot!

Happy Mother's Day all you beautiful witchy women!!

Outback is nommy :)  Although I assure you, we Aussies don't sit around chucking peanut shells hehehe.  I took a peek at your dress and it's very cute :)  I'm 'hippy' and I'd totally wear that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiasaura View Post

I love them, too. Did I mention that M got me a bouquet of blush roses the other day? luxlove.gif They're beautiful. I wish I could bring them home.

Tomorrow I go home, mamas greensad.gif I don't want to go, but I do miss my boy something terrible. I hope I can get my house sold. I have to put it on the market soon, again. Any tips for finding a decent realtor? There are SO, so many. And I hated the first two. They started out like gangbusters and just...fizzled.

HOw sweet of him :D    I have no suggestions on realtors... having never bought or sold a house :P  I really hope you have luck finding someone that doesn't suck though! lol

We've got a sickie here... Lucas didn't feel well at mum's yesterday... then spiked a temp, then spewed half the night.  Poor little dude, but he's scored a day off school on the couch watching movies at least :)

#71 of 212 Old 05-08-2011, 07:23 PM

Yummy! Outback!

I wish I had tips, Maia. We're selling next year and praying the market holds up. We had serious realtor problems in finding a house, though.

goodvibes.gif Witchygrrl

goodvibes.gif Shelley!

#72 of 212 Old 05-09-2011, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittywitty View PostI wish I had tips, Maia. We're selling next year and praying the market holds up. We had serious realtor problems in finding a house, though.

I had an EASY time with the realtor I had when I bought this house. He was great, the house was great, easy-peasy everything. Selling? Not so much. And that guy is only a buyer's agent. His first two recs for sellers agents bombed completely.

I am on the train to Boston. Witchy, I wonder if you're on here somewhere smile.gif I had the best time. M and I also had more breakthroughs in communication, so that was awesome, too. OMG mamas I had no idea he's...holy cow, he's got some serious agorophobic issues. Who knew. He hides them well. Yikes.

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

#73 of 212 Old 05-09-2011, 05:22 AM

Quote:

I am on the train to Boston. Witchy, I wonder if you're on here somewhere smile.gif I had the best time. M and I also had more breakthroughs in communication, so that was awesome, too. OMG mamas I had no idea he's...holy cow, he's got some serious agorophobic issues. Who knew. He hides them well. Yikes.

Nah, I'm not working today. my semester is over, thank goodness. It's so darn expensive commuting in 4 days a week, just to teach one class per day. So glad that's over with! But it would have been cool to be on the train with you.

Maia-it was so great meeting you and M. I'm sorry that it wasn't the ideal location-it was pretty crazy!!! Maybe we can do this again sometime in a quieter spot.  Agoraphobia? My mother had that-in her case it was very debilitating for a long time. M's doing pretty well seeing as he walked into the shop!

So much to do this week. I have an open moon I'm running on Friday, in honor of Hestia. Hearth goddesses are the ones I relate to most on a daily basis. I'm hoping we can do it outside, so I can have the firepit, but I'm a bit apprehensive given what happened on Beltane. Maybe I should just do it indoors, so I don't freak so much.

#74 of 212 Old 05-09-2011, 06:35 AM

I've been off line all weekend... things got really crazy on Friday (so, there were the horrible bills on Thursday then Friday we had plumbing problems, my cell phone AND the backup cell phone died, Torin cut his hand on the laundry basket of all things and while we didn't need to get to the ER it was bloody/messy/screamy, and things just kept getting more and more nuts).  Then Sat was a blur of busy and Sunday (while a sweet mother's day morning) brought a migraine and a miscommunication that left me sitting on the sidewalk outside a closed store for two hours before DH came to get me... thankfully we got a new cell phone for me Sunday evening so THAT wont happen again, but urgh!  It was a loooooong weekend!

On the up side, we made a lot of progress on the play scape in the back woods.  DH dug our stairs into the hill so we can go from the house to the playscape without worrying (the kiddos, especially Tor, would climb straight through the steepest part of the hill and fall), the swings are done, and it's looking really nice!  And the weather has been nice for the past few days...  mid 60s and sunny, with overnight lows in the 40s.

Catching up... much hugs to those in need.  It's super hard to have to leave loves behind (physically) for a while, or have no way to help friends in need, or have family that have passed on or who are standing in the doorway between lives.  And hard to sell houses, and move, and build friendships, and balance needs of self and children.

Maia- do you know anyone who has sold a house recently?  Is there an Amy's List type thing where you could find reviews of agents? 

Bills- I do have receipts and cancelled checks and all that, but this particular hospital billing dept is evil.  I've been dealing with them for years and they just get worse and worse!  And the real problem is that they only itemize their "first" statement... so say you get a bill for blood work and it's 80 dollars.  You pay them 80 dollars and figure life is good.  But then you get a statement from them saying you still owe 80 dollars, but there is no "what this bill is for".  It could be they didn't get the check (they have mis-filed my stuff too many times to count), it could be an 80 dollar fee for some other service (they have sent bills to addys I haven't lived at since childhood despite my correcting their records over and over and OVER again), it could be my insurance rejected part of the bill and now I do legitimately owe another 80 dollars for the service I already paid for (this happens a lot, my insurance can take months to decide what is or is not covered, and they send updated bills to providers all the time), it could be a flat out error on their part.  But the thing is there is NO WAY for me to tell what the charge is for since the bill doesn't say.  So I have to work my way through their billing office staff and phone tree every single time... correcting mailing and insurance info with each person before being bumped up to yet another person who yet again find the wrong info in the computer system and so on and on and on.  And after all that, I usually get a letter in the mail the next month telling me that I owe 80 dollars and am being sent to a collection agency.  Sigh.  I hate these guys.  It's never fun to pay bills, but seriously... given that their job is to collect money you'd think they'd be better at it!

Oh, a question for you wise women... a few weeks ago we had our first really sunny day and I went out into our yard to build stone walls.  That day Ro seemed to get a sunburn on her hands.  The tops of her hands turned bright red, but the palms were fine and the red stopped at her wrist where her shirt sleeves covered her arms so... I assumed sunburn, added sunblock to the shopping list, and applied some aloe.  Then Laia's hands also turned red and chapped... but she is prone to eczema and we assumed that it was a flare (she gets them in spring and fall especially as the weather changes).  We started lotioning her hands more regularly.  Now... over the past two weeks or so, neither girl has really "healed".  And I've noticed that every time we spend sime out of doors their hands get really really "bad".  Deep dark red, puffy, the skin dry and lizard scaled and then it cracks and bleeds along their knuckles (their hands look like those of a 90 year old farm woman).  This weekend I put hydrocortisone cream on their hands and while it didn't go away entirely it made a big difference... less red, less cracked.

But I can't figure out what it is!  I rolled up their sleeves yesterday but the red never moved onto their arms... it stops at the wrist joint so probably not sunburn.  They say it's not itchy or painful and I haven't seen any poison ivy or oak or other obvious itch maker in the woods.  It doesn't affect their palms at all and it hasn't shown up on Torin who is into everything they are.  Oh, and Ro rubbed her cheek on Saturday (while outside) and it turned red/puffy too... the hydrocortisone made that go away (two applications of the cream, one on Sat evening, one on Sunday morning) so another vote for some sort of topical something.  But what topical agent would affect the TOPs of the hands but not the palms?  And only two out of the three kiddos?  And only up to the wrists?  Without any itching but with puffiness?  The red is very clear cut... the edges are totally clearn, like they've been painted.

So... any ideas?  Any non-obvious herbs that might cause photosensitivity?  Any similar experiences?  This is really bothering me!

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#75 of 212 Old 05-09-2011, 06:59 AM

That is really really weird, Clay. Are they on any herbs/medications/vitamins?

#76 of 212 Old 05-09-2011, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View Post

So... any ideas?  Any non-obvious herbs that might cause photosensitivity?  Any similar experiences?  This is really bothering me!

I'm allergic (sensitive) to the sun.  My skin gets weird like that on my hands/arms even after being in strong sunlight for 10 minutes.  For me, nothing relieves it.  I have to focus on prevention.

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

#77 of 212 Old 05-09-2011, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeress View Post

dress

So cute, love the color:)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CariOfOz View Post

We've got a sickie here... Lucas didn't feel well at mum's yesterday... then spiked a temp, then spewed half the night.  Poor little dude, but he's scored a day off school on the couch watching movies at least :)

Hope he feels better soon.

Quote:

I had an EASY time with the realtor I had when I bought this house. He was great, the house was great, easy-peasy everything. Selling? Not so much. And that guy is only a buyer's agent. His first two recs for sellers agents bombed completely.

The market is so tough right now.  It's odd, around here if you are selling a house worth 2 million or more it goes with no problems but if your house is 300 thousand or right around there give or take they sit on the market forever, or it seems that way.  On our road alone there are 4 homes for sale.  I hope the market picks up because I would like to move next year.  Have you tried listing it online? Maybe for people who want a vacation home?  I hope you find someone great to help sell your home, someone motivated.  This time of they year maybe things will pick up since school is ready to get out for the summer.

earth.gif lovin, treehugger.gif  veggie

#78 of 212 Old 05-09-2011, 10:49 AM

Just the "normal" vitamins from the brands they've been taking for years... a multivit, a vit d, a cranberry, and a probiotic.  Laia does have some valerian tea in the evenings to help with her insomnia, but it's not a regular thing (it's the Nighty Night Just For Kids tea by Traditional Medicinals).  And it's just the tops of their hands, and in Ro's case, the smudge across her cheek/under her eye where she rubbed.

I tried the hydrocortisone first on Ro's cheek, then on her hands when it seemed to help the cheek... as far as I can tell hydrocortisone shouldn't have an impact on sunburn, just on an allergic reaction.  But I know there are plants where the sap causes extreme photosensitivity... giant hogsweed, common rue, and St John's Wort I knew about but also:

Quote:

Photosensitivity can also result from touching or eating other plants, including celery, dill, fennel, fig, lime, parsley, and parsnip, as well as arnica, artichoke, chrysanthemum, dandelion, lettuce, endive, marigold, and sunflower. Be aware that most people do not react to these plants. Essential oils�of lime, for example�may be more problematic than the plant itself.

I'm just having a really hard time tracking this down since it's only affecting two of the three kiddos, it's new in the past few weeks (haven't seen this in previous years, or prior to that first "outbreak" a few weeks ago), it's so limited in scope (just the tops of the hands), and seems to happen only in our yard (front yard as well as back yard which is odd since the front is grassy/weedy/sunny and the back is old leaves/wooded/shady, and Laia spends hours outside at preschool with no ill effects while just an hour or two at home has her hands bleeding).

Apparently some antibacterial products (like hand gel and hand soap) can cause sensitivity and we DID go to the doctor's office a few weeks ago... and we use the hand sanitizer on the way out.  I can't remember if that was before or after symptoms appeared though. 

mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#79 of 212 Old 05-09-2011, 12:36 PM

Kitty- I'd love to join the study group on fb!

Shelley, mom to dd 5/19/01, ds 9/06/02, and ds 4/01/07.  Lost babe 4/09

belly.gifDue 12/18/12!

#80 of 212 Old 05-09-2011, 05:08 PM

MDC worked easily for me this time! Wow... I've had a hard time logging on or getting pages to display.

Clay - not sure what to suggest about Tor...healthy healing vibes for everyone!

Maia - I hope you get to meet a good agent to work with you for your house. Glad to hear you and M had some good communication time :)

Spoke to my friend who is hosting the blessingway for me...it will be on the 23rd of May so I have something to look forward to at the end of the month. I get to see my midwife on Wednesday. That should be fun. Have a ton of paperwork it feels like but I doubt that will change anytime soon.

I went to see an Traditional Chinese Medicine doctor and she did some acupuncture to help me with my anxiety, that felt awesome. Going back for a few weeks to make sure I bring myself back to "normal". For those who are familiar with TCM pulses, my heart was weak but the acupuncture helped quickly. a

DD is having this weird TV obsession. We have one, and we do watch it at times, but that's all she wants - she won't play with any of her toys...not sure what happened. Hope the beautiful weather and going outside will get her mind off of it.

Peaceful vibes for all who want them.

Nicole: mama to DD and DS, childbirth educator and doula. Dancing the spiral dance of life bellycast.gif

#81 of 212 Old 05-10-2011, 04:10 AM

Morning:) 

Yesterday was a beautiful day:)  I got a bunch of things planted in my garden, I still have about 1/2 a days work to get the rest in though.  The one odd thing about living in New England is, for what seems like months after the snow is gone the trees are still bare and everything looks brown, then one morning like today you wake up and it's like magic:)  Everything is green and all the trees have leaves on them, it's amazing:)

Not so many postings, I guess everyone is enjoying the beautiful weather like me.  Get outside when you can!!  I hope everyone has a great day:)

earth.gif lovin, treehugger.gif  veggie

#82 of 212 Old 05-10-2011, 04:56 AM

Well, it took me this long to figure out that we had a new thread! Jeeze! One of these days I will catch up! For now, HI everyone! Hope you had a good Beltane!

bellycast.gifI am the Goddess, I am the Mother, all acts of love and pleasure are my rituals.dust.gif
#83 of 212 Old 05-10-2011, 07:52 AM

I'm having a hard time adjusting to the new routine of working out of the house... The first week was allegedly the worst so I'm looking forward for an easier ride from now.

It's beautiful and sunny outside right now! Finally feels like Spring!

I'm trying to stay connected with nature despite the craziness but I find it hard to honor and worship the Earth while driving on bad forest's roads and feeling endangered by Her wild side. And mad dogs trying to eat me alive are not helping. (I'm so glad that part of the work is over... hope I don't have to go back at those homes!)

I long for time in my kitchen and time for crafting! I miss the spiritual side of slowly making food with intention and I'm ichting to go look for beads for my Prayer Beads!

Valérie   
#84 of 212 Old 05-10-2011, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redveg View PostThe market is so tough right now.  It's odd, around here if you are selling a house worth 2 million or more it goes with no problems but if your house is 300 thousand or right around there give or take they sit on the market forever, or it seems that way.  On our road alone there are 4 homes for sale.  I hope the market picks up because I would like to move next year.  Have you tried listing it online? Maybe for people who want a vacation home?  I hope you find someone great to help sell your home, someone motivated.  This time of they year maybe things will pick up since school is ready to get out for the summer.

Well, being that my house is only like $140K you'd think someone would bite. Ugh. Trying to check out Angie's list right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by singin_angel View PostMaia - I hope you get to meet a good agent to work with you for your house. Glad to hear you and M had some good communication time :)

Thanks. I hope so, too. I want to get it listed possibly this week! M and me...we had WAY more than "good communication time" LOL *wink wink nudge nudge* winky.gif redface.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by redveg View PostNot so many postings, I guess everyone is enjoying the beautiful weather like me.  Get outside when you can!!  I hope everyone has a great day:)

I'm just trying to recuperate. I am NOT going outside. It's 80-something degrees out there, already!! WAY too hot for me, and WAY too soon in the year.

Yesterday, leaving M's, I got up at 4am with him (he has to work early) but I was running on very little sleep-- I think I had like 5-6 hours, and I need at least 8 or even 9. I got the 6am train, got to the airport around 8:30ish, my plane wasn't till 1pm, got into Charlotte at 3, had a 2-hour drive home, and didn't even get to GO home, because ds had a game at 5:30 and I had to go right there, where I paid the caregiver and she took off.

Then ds and I didn't get home till 8ish. I finally got to bed at 9-9:30...didn't even read. Just hit the light and conked right out. I think I got up to pee once, but can't remember. I know M called around 4am but I don't remember that, either. I remember him saying "Did you have a good sleep?" to which I replied "I'm not done yet" and he thought that was hilarious.

I slept till 7 when the alarm went off, but I could easily have slept another hour or two.

I'm taking it easy today and getting my travel-laundry done. Everything smells like smoke when I come home, cause M smokes in the house till like one day before I get there, when he airs it out and opens windows. He doesn't smoke indoors while I'm there. But one day of open windows doesn't do jack, really-- it's in everything.

I have to go over my budget and see if there's grocery money-- but I don't feel like it at ALL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie.Qc View PostI'm trying to stay connected with nature despite the craziness but I find it hard to honor and worship the Earth while driving on bad forest's roads and feeling endangered by Her wild side.

That's what cracks me up-- at least you acknowledge that there IS a wild side. It's so funny to meet Pagans (and there are lots!) who worship Nature but don't recognize that Nature isn't nice. Hardly ever. I think Nature is very random, and not much often nice. It's about respect and Paying Attention.

Went to M's church with him on Sunday! I had a good time. He's such a weird combination of propriety and irreverance, I never know what to do or how to act! So a couple weeks ago I said to him one time "Let us eat lettuce" and now he sings it in this Mass-type voice, with an "Amen" after it...so the priest at church starts to sing "Let us..." and I looked over at M with That Look and said, under my breath, "Don't you DARE", and that cracked him right up lol.gif

I have to say, though, I'm just conservative enough that it was nice seeing everybody dressed well in there. The lady in front of us had a baby, probably 2-3m old, that had a beautiful white lace dress on with a little baby-sized white cardigan. So cute! I thought she was gettting baptized, but nope. Just a church dress.

#85 of 212 Old 05-10-2011, 10:14 AM

I think it's the handsoap in the bathroom... Dh brought home a new Method bathroom hand soap and one of the ingredients is, apparently, a potential photosensitizer.  It would explain some of the oddness, like why Tor is unaffected (he doesn't use the toilet/doesn't wash hands in the bathroom) and why Ro is more affected/had the smudge on her cheek (she is home more than Laia, and  she likes bubbles and uses a LOT of handsoap which she doesn't rinse off very well).  And we've only been using this particular soap for about a month, and only out in the sun for significant periods of time in the past few weeks.  It's not a 100% sure thing, but it's a pretty good smoking gun!

So, um, if you find yourself getting funky sunburns, check your soaps!  LOL

The chickens are getting big and I'm sooooo ready for them to move outside!  They wont be old enough to go out full time for another 2-3 weeks, but the whole house stinks of chicken poop.  Well, we clean them twice a day so it's less chicken poop and more... I dunno, kind of like standing next to some really nasty over-ripe veggies or something like that.  A sort of organic rot/sick sweet smell.  And with preggo nose?  My head aches and my throat hurts and it's making me even more quesy than normal.  So these chickies need to harden up fast 'cause they are NOT staying in this house much longer.  :)  We need to expand on the Baba Yaga chicken hut that is still roaming the woods and move it over to the "new" enclosure.  We'll introduce both sets of hens to the expanded coop at the same time (neutral territory) and hopefully during the "hardening off" weeks (about 1-2 weeks of the chicks being outside in a sheltered lean-to next to the adult enclosure) the two groups will get to know each other a bit.  The older ladies are molting right now and look pretty horrible in spots so this should be interesting!

Nature and nice- I think it's one of those image things.  So many people left religious paths that they felt were disrespectful of nature/things natural and they ran to the other extreme with religious paths in which nature is all good/giving.  It's sort of like the quote in Terry Pratchett about how just because something isn't nice, it doesn't mean it's not a miracle... nature is an amazing force, but it's not good or bad.  It just is.  Hmmm... now I'm remembering a song by Dar Williams (The Ocean) in which the Ocean asks the woman who has come to dream over the waves "What are you trying to find?  I don't care, I'm not kind.... it's ashes to ashes but always the Ocean."

And there's a nice repeated theme in the books of the Immortal War about how people/animals/creatures are true to their natures and it's not right to hate a wolf for eating a deer (even if you happen to really like deer) because it is simply a part of the wolf's nature to hunt/kill.  There are a few places where the moral gets a touch heavy handed, but overall it's a fairly well hidden but often repeated truism in the books... that hating someone or something simply because that other is being true to their nature and their nature is not like your nature is wrong.  I think it's often easier for people to connect with or sympathize with persons/places/beings that share their own nature... and so if they suddenly find that they are "in love" with an earth based or nature based tradition they kind of overlook anything that doesn't mesh with their own convictions/nature and ignore that Nature is it's own "person" with it's own set of interests and priorities.  Kind of like assuming that the warm fuzzy happy fairies in the midsummer gloaming are "all there is to know" about the Fair Folk... ignoring generations of lore from cultures all around the world that pretty clearly point out that the Good Neighbors can be anything but.

LOL... now I'm totally going off on a Pratchett tangent (the Tiffany Aching books, Lords and Ladies, and anything with Rincewind for starts)!  And G'kar's description of the Old Ones ("we" are like ants, and if an ant crawls onto the arm of an Old One and is set back down on the ground instead of simply crushed, how can that ant ever know what really happened or explain it's experience to another ant?  How could "we" ever assume to know the thoughts of the Old Ones, or think that our own actions in the ant hill could be of interest to any but a few eccentric Old Ones?).  And... I could be at this all day!  Squee!!!!  :)

#86 of 212 Old 05-10-2011, 11:07 AM

I am reading Wyrd Sisters right now and the Duke kills the King and the world, the forest, the place reacts- there is a trembling, the trees seemed to move, the animals make a visit to Granny. The imagery really seemed to hit home to me, our world is telling us something, we just need to listen.

No new news from my friend, I am going to call her today.

#87 of 212 Old 05-10-2011, 05:14 PM

Quote:

That's what cracks me up-- at least you acknowledge that there IS a wild side. It's so funny to meet Pagans (and there are lots!) who worship Nature but don't recognize that Nature isn't nice. Hardly ever. I think Nature is very random, and not much often nice. It's about respect and Paying Attention.

I've always had respect, even admiration for Earth's wildess expression but I usually try to stay our of Her way, plan my day according to Her mood; this week, it was impossible to do so I felt very vulnerable and out of sync with Her rhythm. 

My difficulty to connect where amplified by frustration, stress and anger generated by this temp work I'm doing... They are experimenting a new way of doing things and I'm not enjoying being part of experimentation... Hopefully, all the extra work we're doing will really help the crew that will work at this next time... (or not, they might decide to try a new system again...)

Valérie   
#88 of 212 Old 05-11-2011, 04:38 AM

Valerie, stress really just blows the ability to connect with Mother Earth, doesn't it? I hope that passes soon for you.

And me too. This morning, I noticed a hive (yes, one) on my finger. Ladies, I used to get tons of hives on my hands when I was really stressed out, so I'm hoping it stays at the one. DH had his interview yesterday, and it seems like it went really well, even better than this other school last week. But again, we have to wait until the end of the week. Gads, if there were full time work for me, I'd apply, but there just isn't. Not at my current hourly pay, or even remotely close to it, even.

And tomorrow is my birthday. 33! I had a free mini-facial Sunday, so my skin looks pretty darn good, I think:D

#89 of 212 Old 05-11-2011, 05:41 AM

Valérie - good luck! The wild dogs sound scary!

Maia- So funny. "Let us eat lettuce". lol

Clay- I'm glad you seem to have figured it out! That's freaky! What type of handsoap by Method was it?

I dropped my sweet 12 yo kitty off at the vet for a mass removal behind her ear. I'm so worried about her. Her kidneys are a little small, too. greensad.gif

#90 of 212 Old 05-11-2011, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by witchygrrl View PostAnd tomorrow is my birthday. 33! I had a free mini-facial Sunday, so my skin looks pretty darn good, I think:D

Oooh, happy birthday!!! I woulda bought you a slice of birthday cake if I'd known while I was up there! birthday.gif partytime.gif champagne.gif  Well, here is some champagne for you. If you don't drink, it's sparkling cider smile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittywitty View PostMaia- So funny. "Let us eat lettuce". lol

Clay- I'm glad you seem to have figured it out! That's freaky! What type of handsoap by Method was it?

I dropped my sweet 12 yo kitty off at the vet for a mass removal behind her ear. I'm so worried about her. Her kidneys are a little small, too. greensad.gif

It was hilarious. I wish I could sing it for you like he does! Yeah, Clay, glad you narrowed it down so fast! Was that it, did you figure out?

Kittywitty, hope your sweet cat turns out alright fingersx.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page