May Pagan Circle - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 212 Old 05-01-2011, 05:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Welcome May, Happy Beltane!

What does it look like outside where you live?

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 212 Old 05-01-2011, 05:30 AM - Thread Starter

We have new, light and medium green leaves on the trees (finally!)  Flowering trees have bloomed like pastel fireworks.  Flowers are everywhere.  It's so incredibly beautiful!  

My particular favorite is the very pale pink flowering trees against the light green backdrop of new leaves on all the trees.  Stunning.

For some reason, Spring this year seems to be intense (both good and not).  Everything about it.  I feel that it has a message of 'Balance'.

I need to get a battery for my slr (film) camera and take some pics.

#3 of 212 Old 05-01-2011, 09:53 AM

Blessed Beltaine Mamas!

Here it is sunny with blue skies.  The trees are leafing out and/or blossoming.  Flowers are everywhere and it's green, green, green! treehugger.gif

We're hosting a May Day, Beltaine garden party this afternoon in our garden.  It's also my birthday, so the holiday is a special one for me. love.gif  I hope everyone enjoys their day, and that life is fertile in the ways you would like it to be. dust.gif

dust.gifloving magick mama to DD(7) flower.gif and DS (5) Bolt.gifLife partner DP blueman.gif  earth.gif )0( treehugger.gif
#4 of 212 Old 05-01-2011, 10:53 AM

It is beautiful out today! We went to my aunt and uncles, and the mix of wildflowers and dandelions was just gorgeous!

Yesterday, we had our Beltane ritual. All was well until a guy next door started yelling out Bible and Koran verses at us. Then called the cops because we weren't intimidated. He left, the cops came to us hanging out eating sandwiches. They couldn't believe we were causing a disturbance, and that this was the first party they ever had to break up without any booze. We did admit to singing with some drums, but that was it.

Now my friend who owns the store is a bit nervous that this guy is going to start trouble. I hope she finds a new place soon for the shop so she can have some peace of mind.

Come ponder with me about food!
#5 of 212 Old 05-01-2011, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaughterOfKali View PostWelcome May, Happy Beltane!

What does it look like outside where you live?

Spring in the south is already in swing! It's practically summer, here. ALL the trees are overgrown green already. The berry canes are flowering, the forsythia is already green again, my garden actually looks gardeny for a change! I have bean, cabbage, radish, and pumpkin sprouts, banana pepper starts, tomatoes, green peppers, and (I forgot if it's broccoli or red cabbage redface.gif ) I'm doing some in the ground, but a lot in containers. Looking forward to putting my house back on the market and huffing my plants up north orngbiggrin.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by femme_rouge View PostIt's also my birthday, so the holiday is a special one for me. love.gif  I hope everyone enjoys their day, and that life is fertile in the ways you would like it to be. dust.gif

YAY, happy birthday! jammin.gifbroc1.gif carrot.gifpartytime.gif banana.gif blueman.gif birthday.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by witchygrrl View PostAll was well until a guy next door started yelling out Bible and Koran verses at us. Then called the cops because we weren't intimidated. He left, the cops came to us hanging out eating sandwiches. They couldn't believe we were causing a disturbance, and that this was the first party they ever had to break up without any booze. We did admit to singing with some drums, but that was it.

Now my friend who owns the store is a bit nervous that this guy is going to start trouble. I hope she finds a new place soon for the shop so she can have some peace of mind.

Some people have nothing better to do, I swear! I find it hard to believe that you have to endure this in the more-tolerant northeast! That sounds like regular fare, down here, unfortunately. Tell your friend not to worry, I'd say. Sounds like the cops are on your side, yay!

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

#6 of 212 Old 05-01-2011, 12:27 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
That's terrible witchygrrl!

Right now it's gray and green out. lol.gif That's about it! We have some horrible, gods-awful Stinkhorns in our mulch, too. I HATE THEM.

I did not do anything for Beltane. I'm too swamped with life at the moment!

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#7 of 212 Old 05-01-2011, 01:56 PM

Its fairly gray and rainy here today, but we were still out playing for most of it.

Yesterday I got my gardens prepped.  Last night my daughter and I brought offerings of honey butter and raw milk to the faeries and then I stayed out for awhile and just kind of chilled.  Did an impromptu garden blessing and realized I have markers at the four quarters (three tall cedar posts and a cherry tree) so I think I may do something a bit more symbolic with that.  

My Irises and roses are starting to bloom, the trees are all leafed out, and everything is growing.  Will be setting out my transplants this week as well as direct sowing many seeds.

And boo on obnoxious man not minding his own business!  

Nicole - )0( unschooling mama to Lilahblahblah.gif (12/21/05) and Cianwild.gif (9/21/07) as well as 3 dog2.gif 2 cat.gif,  4 rats, chicken3.gif and ducks

#8 of 212 Old 05-01-2011, 06:41 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Subbing!  Happy May! Happy Beltane!  Happy birthday femme rouge!

Still waiting on leaves, but it was nice enough that I put my baby tomato plants outdoors for a day in the sun.  My first year growing from seed (with grow lights) Hope they leaf out ok - won't be planting them in the garden till late May or even June here. Too nice here to spend much time on the computer today!

#9 of 212 Old 05-02-2011, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by witchygrrl View Post

Yesterday, we had our Beltane ritual. All was well until a guy next door started yelling out Bible and Koran verses at us. Then called the cops because we weren't intimidated. He left, the cops came to us hanging out eating sandwiches. They couldn't believe we were causing a disturbance, and that this was the first party they ever had to break up without any booze. We did admit to singing with some drums, but that was it.

Wow!  Aren't people amazing.  I am glad the cops who responded were nice.

Yesterday was a beautiful day here in New Hampshire.  I spent it outside working on my garden space, meditating and making some small offerings.  Very quiet and personal:) 

Hubby is here for coffee, be back later

earth.gif lovin, treehugger.gif  veggie

#10 of 212 Old 05-02-2011, 06:04 AM

Sounds like the neighbor was the one causing the distrubance!  Glad the police were so nice... you should call and offer to chat with their public relations officer about pagan religions!  :) (I think it was Bonewits who put together the law enforcement guide to pagan faiths, so there's a lot of stuff out there tailored to law enforcement)

Hope everyone had a Merry MayDay and Blessed Beltane!  We spent most of the weekend in the woods... we fenced in a big chunk of our forest (300 feet of fencing) so that the kiddos cuold run around outside without worrying about the stray dogs, insane scrappers (who drive massive, rusty, mad max style trucks o' scrap at speeds seen more often on the raceway and less often on roads with kids), and sudden gorges.  We expanded the chicken coop and yard to prepare for the 6 chicks we have indoors eventually moving out.  We built (most) of a nature play space in the newly enclosed woods... swings suspended between trees, a "sand box" (pea gravel to discourage cats so technically a "gravel pit") that I made by digging out a hollow and lining it with big ol' stones from the woods... the space is contained by two big trees and we've attached a wheel to one so Tor can "drive", making the gravel pit a car/boat/space craft as desired, we're about a third of the way done with an earth slide and tree fort too.  I also built a few more stone enclosures in the side yard and the kiddos and I planted 20 bulbs, three rosemary plants, and we started hardening off the seedlings we started on Ostara.  Oh!  And we built our family earth altar/nature table in the woods!  There are some more things I want to do, but in all it rocks!  We cleared out around the roots of one of the big trees and the space between two roots is just right to hold a small copper bowl (for water/the well, the tree is, well, the world tree) and the other side of that root has a sort of hollow that is perfect for the deep earth energies.  We moved a really nifty stump over to the side by the tree/bowl to be an offering table too and dude... I think it looks pretty nice.  And you can see it from the sleep loft.  I want to add some prayer flags but it was a really busy weekend....

LOL

And of course I didn't get to celebrate with DH in the traditional style since we were both so tired and achy.  I'm 22 weeks this week and dear lords and ladies of gumdrops, I HURT!  I swear I've found muscles I didn't know existed, and each and every one of them is a wuss when it comes to pain.

weather- most of the weekend was partially cloudy with highs in the mid-60s.  Today and for the next few days it's supposed to be rainy with now and then intense thunder storms with highs in the high 50s to low 60s.  The over night temps are still dropping into the high 30s though so those seedlings wont be going outside for good till at least mid-may, probably late may.

We have a maypole celebration today that might get called on account of weather... we'll see!

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#11 of 212 Old 05-02-2011, 07:47 AM

Two months in a row that I subbed on day one... not that I've been chatty.

Home from work today, the kiddo having serious allergy issues, to the point of nausea from all the gunk (got sick a couple times last night).  The dr. called in a couple prescriptions first thing this morning. And he seems a 1000 times better already. 

So I am taking time to study for finals...   Just three more tests and then summer vacation.  Of course, I still need to work, but my weekends and evenings are mine (well besides Little League).

The sun is trying to come out.  It's rather grey. I don't get overly excited about everything flowering since I am allergic to everything but it's pretty.

My family of 3 (plus pup) Indigo (Aimee), Rob (dp), Ryne (ds) & Phebe (dog), plus my BIL's family of 3.

"The best way to predict the future is to invent it." - Alan Kay

#12 of 212 Old 05-02-2011, 09:56 AM

Clay- That sounds beautiful! Will you have pics up on facebook? What an enchanting place to play for your kids!

#13 of 212 Old 05-02-2011, 10:34 AM

Merry meet! We had rain, and more rain so we didn't get anything done. I ordered more medicinal herb seeds, so I did something earthy for the day.

It sounds like a few of us got rained out.

Can't believe some people, and their nerve! I am glad the cops were cool about it though.

Well, the kids leave for Florida tomorrow. so we are enjoying a meal of pizza, boneless wings and breadsticks and watching mythbusters. :)

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#14 of 212 Old 05-02-2011, 11:13 AM

I didn't get pics yesterday (it got so late and was really dark, the flash made everything look odd) and now it's pouring cats and dogs.  But I /will/ have pics eventually and I'll link to them here as well. 

I think I need the start scaling back though... baby apple belly is kicking my bum.  I only gained 9lbs in the first 20 weeks because I still can't eat much, but all of a sudden I've gained 3lbs in the last week despite the sick feeling and it's like everything I do know "costs" extra in terms of energy level and muscle aches the next day.  I remember feeling like this in the 7th month or so with ds...to feel this way when I "should" be right in the second trimester sweet zone is a bit worrying.

mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#15 of 212 Old 05-02-2011, 12:18 PM

Subbing, even though I didn't say much on the last thread. Still it's nice to pop in and just read some posts.

Things are wet here, and flooded in many areas thankfully not ours though. I'm looking forward to the start of a new month and hoping that this one will run smoother then the last. Mostly I'm just feeling overwhelmed with things. 

On a lighter side I finally convinced my hubby to take me to the local Teavana store so I could buy some tea. He was shocked at the prices and couldn't understand why I would pay that much for tea. I tried to explain that it was better quality but he didn't agree. Until we got home and I offered to make him a cup. He loved it and now every time I make a cup for myself I need to make one for him. Now he's talking about going back and trying a few other flavors. 

I hope everyone had a good Beltane and it leads into a wonderful month.

Wife to a wonderful man, not a mommy yet but looking forward to when we are ready. 
"Love isn't something you find. Love is something that finds you." Loretta Young
#16 of 212 Old 05-02-2011, 01:27 PM

Blessed Beltaine, y'all! I forgot to wash my face in the morning dew. Think it'd count if I did it tomorrow? After all, I won't be celebrating in the traditional style till Wednesday winky.gif OMG I am so so SO excited!! I can't WAIT to go see M...I think it's even more exciting since he's so excited and itching to see me luxlove.gif

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

#17 of 212 Old 05-02-2011, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter

I'm asking this here for a reason, which I will explain after the question.

What do you get for an 8 yr old girl and boy First Communion gift?  I don't want it to be religious and I don't want to give money.  I'd like it to be comforting/personal and possibly spiritual.  Just not religious.  Oh, and it's got to be inexpensive.  (tall order?)

The party is also for their baby sister who is turning 1.

#18 of 212 Old 05-02-2011, 07:43 PM

Hi! Merry meet! I've been reading the April thread and decided to jump in and introduce myself. My name is Joanna, wife to Mike, mom to Cullen, McKenna, Andrew, and William. DH and I grew up in Christian homes, mine very conservative and his moderately liberal. I struggled with my spirituality all my life, without really realizing it. I went through the motions with out any emotions. After DH and were married and moved away from family, we "fell away" from the christian church. After the initial guilt, I felt more at ease and at peace than I ever had. I began to reconnect to many things that held power, energy, and spirit for me - earth, trees, sun, moon. We both avoided any discussion of spirituality - he thought I wanted to go back to the christian church and I thought he would think I was nutty for feeling drawn to nature.

Long story short, a few weeks ago he brought the topic up by asking me if I wanted to start going to church again. I honestly answered that I had no desire whatsoever to return to that life. That I was happy with the spiritual life I was developing through yoga and meditation on my own. He seemed to melt with relief, and told me that he we feeling very drawn to paganism and most specifically Wicca. We have begun the studying (along somewhat different paths, since I feel no draw toward Wicca) and are quite "Pagan-curious". My birthday is April 30, so this weekend we celebrated both that and Beltane with some simple rituals.

I may have questions as we go on this journey, but I mostly feel relieved that DH and I can travel this path together without conflict. It feels so surreal that we both started down this path without discussing it with the other and yet here we are together.

Joanna - wife to Mike, mamachicken to Cub(8/98), Kitten (4/07), Dew-man, and Woe-boy(twins, 10/08)
#19 of 212 Old 05-02-2011, 09:56 PM

Welcome:)  I am a very sparse poster here, but I do try and read to stay kind of caught up.  

That is wonderful that both of you ended up on the same path together but found it separately.  There are so many branches from here for you both to explore.  For me, when I first started discovering paganism, it was such a sense of "ahh, there it is...this is what I have been searching for...such a feeling of coming home for so many. 

Oh and happy belated birthday :)

Nicole - )0( unschooling mama to Lilahblahblah.gif (12/21/05) and Cianwild.gif (9/21/07) as well as 3 dog2.gif 2 cat.gif,  4 rats, chicken3.gif and ducks

#20 of 212 Old 05-02-2011, 10:12 PM

*waves*  Hey mamas!  Talking weather, our Samhain was spectacularly autumlike (for us anyway lol).  Today is overcast and looks like a storm or maybe just rain.  Love it though :)   We're still getting unpacked and we still have crappy net so I can't spend much time online :(  But I like to pop in and see how everyone is when I have a chance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View Post

I didn't get pics yesterday (it got so late and was really dark, the flash made everything look odd) and now it's pouring cats and dogs.  But I /will/ have pics eventually and I'll link to them here as well. 

I think I need the start scaling back though... baby apple belly is kicking my bum.  I only gained 9lbs in the first 20 weeks because I still can't eat much, but all of a sudden I've gained 3lbs in the last week despite the sick feeling and it's like everything I do know "costs" extra in terms of energy level and muscle aches the next day.  I remember feeling like this in the 7th month or so with ds...to feel this way when I "should" be right in the second trimester sweet zone is a bit worrying.

20weeks ALREADY!?!?! I know it doesn't seem it for you, but man has that really flown by!  I'm sure it's flying by NOW though, since you can finally relax :)   Your play area sounds just magickal btw!  I tried to take a few pics of our new place, and the gorgeous park we hang out at but our camera has gone all fuzzy (or rather the pics come out that way) so it will have to wait till we can go buy another little 98 dollar camera ;)  I figure that one lasted a good 5years so it was a bargain! 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaChicken View Post

Hi! Merry meet! I've been reading the April thread and decided to jump in and introduce myself. My name is Joanna, wife to Mike, mom to Cullen, McKenna, Andrew, and William. DH and I grew up in Christian homes, mine very conservative and his moderately liberal. I struggled with my spirituality all my life, without really realizing it. I went through the motions with out any emotions. After DH and were married and moved away from family, we "fell away" from the christian church. After the initial guilt, I felt more at ease and at peace than I ever had. I began to reconnect to many things that held power, energy, and spirit for me - earth, trees, sun, moon. We both avoided any discussion of spirituality - he thought I wanted to go back to the christian church and I thought he would think I was nutty for feeling drawn to nature.

Long story short, a few weeks ago he brought the topic up by asking me if I wanted to start going to church again. I honestly answered that I had no desire whatsoever to return to that life. That I was happy with the spiritual life I was developing through yoga and meditation on my own. He seemed to melt with relief, and told me that he we feeling very drawn to paganism and most specifically Wicca. We have begun the studying (along somewhat different paths, since I feel no draw toward Wicca) and are quite "Pagan-curious". My birthday is April 30, so this weekend we celebrated both that and Beltane with some simple rituals.

I may have questions as we go on this journey, but I mostly feel relieved that DH and I can travel this path together without conflict. It feels so surreal that we both started down this path without discussing it with the other and yet here we are together.

Welcome mama chicken!  I'm Cari, from Australia (thus the name hehe)  I'm mama to 5 boybarians ranging from 22 all the way down to 4.5 :)  Welcome to the thread! 

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
#21 of 212 Old 05-03-2011, 03:35 AM

Hmmm, that's a tough one. Maybe something from the Chicken Soup for the Soul line? They must have ones for kids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaughterOfKali View Post

I'm asking this here for a reason, which I will explain after the question.

What do you get for an 8 yr old girl and boy First Communion gift?  I don't want it to be religious and I don't want to give money.  I'd like it to be comforting/personal and possibly spiritual.  Just not religious.  Oh, and it's got to be inexpensive.  (tall order?)

The party is also for their baby sister who is turning 1.

Come ponder with me about food!
#22 of 212 Old 05-03-2011, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaChicken View Post

Hello and welcome:)

Quote:
Originally Posted by witchygrrl View Post

Hmmm, that's a tough one. Maybe something from the Chicken Soup for the Soul line? They must have ones for kids.

I agree.  I would get a book:)

#23 of 212 Old 05-03-2011, 04:13 AM

Morning all:)  Yesterday was such a beautiful day.  All my garden space is now ready for planting, which I will start today:)  Looks a bit like rain but I am still getting out there. 

Hope everyone has a good day:)

#24 of 212 Old 05-03-2011, 05:12 AM

Morning Ladies

The rain won't let up, I need sun!

Welcome Mama Chicken!

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#25 of 212 Old 05-03-2011, 06:30 AM

Hi all!

I don't know when I'll be back here... so busy!

Beltane was very very low key... we just ate our dinner outside and had a thought about the day... I did pour some wine on the ground as an offering... that was it.

No leaves yet on the trees but the tulips might flower by mid-May.  There is still snow on the ground in some area around here... (not in my yard! Yay!)

Thinking of you even when I'm not here. ;-)

Valérie   
#26 of 212 Old 05-03-2011, 07:49 AM

Morning everyone!!  I can't believe its May already - time seems to be flying by this year.   Didn't get to celebrate Beltane with our delivery of May baskets this year for the kids or decorating our trees.  Instead we just spent the day outside in the garden and backyard working.  I am still sore from moving my very old and well entrenched climbing rose bush to a new location which I think she will like better. thumb.gif

Dok - I would get a book which maybe touches upon the topic or like Witchy suggested Chicken Soup for the Soul (but for kids)

Merry Meet & Welcome Mama Chicken!! I'm still puttering through my path right now, so you are in good company here! 

Maia - I hope you have safe travels to see M this week.

Outside is ... blustery and chilly.  It is an amazing 40-50 degrees here in WI which is like wonderful except for the wind. brrrrrrrrr.  I just want to get out to my backyard more and play, dig and plant so much this year, it almost hurts that I can't during the work week.

I hope everyone is doing well and I'm off for my first cuppa of tea this morning....

treehugger.gifAnd you who seek to know Me, know that the seeking and yearning will avail you not, unless you know the Mystery: for if that which you seek, you find not within yourself, you will never find it without.treehugger.gif

#27 of 212 Old 05-03-2011, 08:11 AM

Quote:Originally Posted by MamaChicken View Post

Hi! Merry meet!

MM and welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ktg_ View PostMaia - I hope you have safe travels to see M this week.

Thanks! I leave tomorrow. M and I both are uber, uber excited. DS left this morning for his class trip. I hope he's doing alright! It's a 7+ hour drive, which he's good with long trips, but he has never done it in someone else's car with 3 other kids and two adults. Yeek!

My neighbor is mowing my lawn with his ridey-mower, YAY!!! I did some weed-eating earlier and I lost my cell phone out of its holster. Talk about panic. Thank all the gods there are that I found it in the yard. It could have been anywhere from the car, to the school, parking lot (in which case it'd probably have gotten crunched under someone's tire) to Walmart to the yard. I'm so, so grateful that I found it. Time to get a better holster. With a snap, not a magnet.

I can't wait till tomorrow! I will have my computer so will be able to check in with you guys. M is taking the day off tomorrow to meet me at the airport, but he has to work the next 2 or maybe 3 days greensad.gif At least he gets done by 1:30!

#28 of 212 Old 05-03-2011, 08:54 AM

Hope everyone had a great Beltane/May Day! Love how everyone is talking about celebrating Beltane traditionally...because of my history with preterm birth, I can't do any of that until I hit 37 weeks.

We went to a ritual at a different unitarian congregation, led by a wonderful pagan family. Drumming and all!

I got tired last month and just couldn't log on...I'm 31 weeks today and lost in my own anxiety around DD's birth. I have been taking a homeopathic and rescue remedy but it is still kicking my butt. I have told myself I have to do much more meditation. Even my braxton-hicks are freaking me out, though logically I know they are just helping me practice. I am thinking of creating a ritual to help, but I am at a loss for ideas. Anyone want to toss some out? On top of that, I have to plan the blessingway...for the end of the month. I will be making a necklace, so if anyone wants to participate from afar, feel free to PM me cause I would love beads with beautiful energy from my pagan mamas here. I'd be happy to share my address that way.

I also attended what was supposed to be my last two births before my own but I took another one, a homebirth for a first time mama. I look forward to joining her soon-ish.

Witchygrrl - can't believe the neighbours. So sad but glad the cops didn't have much to say about it.

I better be off to make some lunch and have more cleaning to do. I took me ages to actually log in today (don't know if MDC is being buggy today). Maybe I can relax when DD naps.

Blessings :)

Nicole: mama to DD and DS, childbirth educator and doula. Dancing the spiral dance of life bellycast.gif

#29 of 212 Old 05-03-2011, 02:42 PM

welcome MamaChicken!  I was also raised in a very conservative christian family with dh coming from a more laid back christian family... I started down the pagan path right about the time I met him and we've been a dual-faith family since then.  However, we recently found a pagan path that has spoken to us both (ADF) and we're now happily raising our family with a "united front" in terms of religion.  It's almost funny how odd it feels to be on the same page as dh in terms of religion after so many years of amiable differences (I being totally pagan and him being what he called a "mystic christian"... sort of Thomas Merton meets Thich Nach Hahn as he would put it).  Glad you found us and I hope you all enjoy the journey!

Maia- have fun!

DoK- I agree, some sort of book might work... or even a nice journal?  First Communion is generally around 6 or 7 years old, right?  So while they probably aren't big readers/writers at the moment they soon will be.  A pin or necklace that might resonate with the spiritual purpose of their ritual might be an option too...  for my own Confirmation (which happens in your teens) I was given a pin shaped like a small flame by relatives who are Jewish.  They didn't feel comfortable giving me a specifically Christian image, but a "flame of inspiration" worked for us all.

Pregnacy- I'm actually 22 weeks at the moment LOL  I feel like this pregnancy will be never ending, but if I twist my thoughts I realize it's only 4 more months and that makes it seem pretty short!  I'm nervous about the birth (not pregnant enough yet to not care about the birth as long as the baby comes out NOW), and wondering how we'll manage with four babes but it'll work out somehow I know.  :)  We need a car seat but other than that all the "big stuff" is already here, and our local thrift stores have great (cheap) items.  In fact, I found a little jumper today that is PERFECT.  The front has a sort of stylized painting of people dancing around a bonfire in the woods, and below the picture it says "Play in the Forest" and on the back it says "under a full moon spirits gathered can be found dancing amongst the trees".  I am in love with the outfit and can't wait to take apple-belly-babe to a gathering wearing it.

books- I just finished reading "Time of the Ghost" by Dianna Wynne Jones.  It's too old/scary for dd1 but I think it might be perfect for kiddos in the 10-12 year range (depending on their maturity) and it's a pretty interesting pagan-themed story.  Basically the POV character is a ghost, she knows she is one of four sisters living in an old school (their parents run a school for boys, the girls are essentially abandoned which is one of those "maturity" themes), but all four sisters seem to be alive and well so she can't figure out what is going on.  Without giving anything more than the book jacket plot summary, she learns that one of the sisters has awakened an ancient goddess and the ghost's fate is somehow tied into this being.  It's actually a lot more interesting and engaging than I thought it would be (though Wynne Jones rocks as an author and I can't think of a thing she has written that I didn't at least like), and she ties all the different themes and elements together by the end to make a "happy" ending of sorts.  So if there is anyone looking for a mildly scary, sometimes disturbing (there is a chicken sacrifice, a discussion of ghosts being fed with blood that parallels nicely with a discussion of modern medicine/blood transfusion, and the theme of abuse/abandonment of the girls by their physically present but not emotionally present parents), but overall engaging story for their tweens... this one seemed fair, and includes a decent (and unstated) moral along the lines of looking before you leap and taking rituals seriously even if you think the ritual is "made up" because you never know who might be listening. (much of the difficulty in the plot comes from the sisters making promises to their made-up goddess or making promises using her authority to bind the promise without considering that they might actually be held to those promises).

I also finished the Protector of the Small quad and am working through the Immortal War quad so much thanks to whomever suggested Tamora Pierce!  Our thrift store had a stack of her books last week so the timing was perfect!  I also have her Trickster Queen book but I'll need to find the first book in that series (it wasn't in said stack)... the local HUGE book sale is coming up in a few days though (it's one of the largest in the country!) so hopefully I'll find what I'm looking for there.  :)

And on that note... any other suggestions for pagan friendly read alouds (or pagan friendly "leave on the shelf for the kiddos to find") books or authors?  Lemme know so I'll face the book sale armed and dangerous!

#30 of 212 Old 05-04-2011, 10:53 AM

Hi, MamaChicken!

I will have to check that book out for my oldest, Clay. Thanks. I had more to say but I totally forgot. Sigh.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page