what I need... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 05-06-2011, 05:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am looking for a church.  I have lived in this largely Christian town for two years, but because of major marriage problems, I have made almost no friends.  I filed for divorce in February and have been trying to put my life in perspective.  Overall, I'm doing well, but I'm getting depressed and I'm lonely and not only am I longing for a closer relationship with God, but I need some people in my life who really give a crap about me.  I freakin need a hug once in a while and I need to be around people who care about my emotional and spiritual happiness.  OK, I could go on forever about that.

I have some options in this town, but all Christian oriented (I'm ok with that, though my views are a little more open...I think we all pray to the same God anyway and Jesus and I are good),,,but I don't know much about churches.  I am looking at a Wesleyan Church and First Reformed (Dutch) --I have a lot of family that goes to the FRC and I do like the pastor.

I'm a little bit afraid to just walk myself into either of these churches.  I have emailed the FRC pastor, but like the community efforts of the Wesleyan Church.  I think part of me is so craving compassion from anyone that I'm afraid of getting it...or that if I enter into an arena where that is possible I might start weeping and never stop.  I'm just scared on a number of fronts I guess.

I don't know...this is a lot of babble about different things.  I really came online to find out more about these two churches and everything else spilled out.

sarah

Mama to girl (11), boy (7) and girl (4).  "Can't we all just get along?" joy.gif
#2 of 3 Old 05-08-2011, 04:34 AM

Hugs mama! I know alot of what you are going through. I have a great dh but zero friends (other than my great MDC mamas). I too am looking for a church, but not sure if that is where I want to make my friends having realized in my old church, my friends were close because of religion only. I am leaning towards a UU church since I am only wanting total love and acceptance. I have started going to monthly women gatherings called Red Tent. So nice and healing to spend time with other women. And I found there are great groups on meetup.com. As for churches I know a woman that goes to the Wesleyan church and it is the best thing that has ever happened to her. So if that were one of your only choices, I would pick that since I hear so highly of it.
#3 of 3 Old 05-08-2011, 04:56 AM

You're location says Western Michigan. If that means Grand Rapids you might check out Plymouth Congregational, UCC.  A dear friend of mine goes there and I think she'd certainly care about you.  She comes from a Dutch Reformed background, if that makes any difference!

Pregnant and/or Breastfeeding since 2005
Mama to two girls: 5/06 and 3/09

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page