Looking for hymn recs - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 05-11-2011, 01:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I wonder if anyone could recommend some songs of praise or worship that are non-denominational- ie that talk about God, love of God, etc., but don't necessarily mention Christ or the crucifixion?  If you know just the name of the song, that's great, but if you know even just a few words too, that would be fantastic. smile.gif Thanks!

Bookworm read.gif , computer geek geek.gif , and single mom wild.gif to DS blahblah.gifbouncy.gif (11/06)
#2 of 11 Old 05-11-2011, 07:41 AM

What about Morning Has Broken?  Not really a hymn, but a song that might fit the bill.  

Mama to DD (06/30/07).
#3 of 11 Old 05-11-2011, 12:29 PM

Actually, "Morning Has Broken" does appear in the 1982 Hymnal of the Episcopal Church, as does "Day by Day" (same lyrics as the song from Godspell, but different melody).  These are 2 of my favorite hymns!  Another favorite is "Sweet Sweet Spirit" -

Benjamin's Mom, 11/13/07joy.gif
#4 of 11 Old 05-11-2011, 12:42 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

The Henry Van Dyke lyrics  (Joyful, joyful we adore thee...) for Beethoven's Ode to Joy (9th symphony) have a single mention of Christ, but otherwise might suit. It's gorgeous and inspiring music.

Possibly, "I joyed when to the House of God" Psalm 122 - not sure if the mentions of Jerusalem and the house of David won't fit your needs. 

If you want something that can be read, rather than sung, I've always liked the Circle of Days, by Reeve Lindburgh, based on St. Francis of Assisi's The Canticle of the Sun. It's a picture book for children. I don't have it in front of me, so I'm not sure how "non-denominational" it is. 

#5 of 11 Old 05-12-2011, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaW412 View Post

Actually, "Morning Has Broken" does appear in the 1982 Hymnal of the Episcopal Church, as does "Day by Day" (same lyrics as the song from Godspell, but different melody).  These are 2 of my favorite hymns!  Another favorite is "Sweet Sweet Spirit" -

Cool--I didn't know that!  

Also thought of one more--Great Day.  Eddie From Ohio has an awesome a cappella version.  

Mama to DD (06/30/07).
#6 of 11 Old 05-13-2011, 07:58 AM

Bobby McFerrin has done a really quite nice setting of the 23rd Psalm. God is referred to in the feminine, which I like, but may not be everyone's thing. It's easy to sing, and fairly easy to learn in parts. You can find it on YouTube if you are interested.

ETA, are you looking for specifically non-Christian ones, or just looking to avoid overt mention of Christ? There are ones like 'Guide me, O thou great Jehovah' that have Christian themes (and fantastic melodies!) but don't mention Christ specifically. Are those of interest?

Gwen , partner to D ; Mamma to T (6) , J (4) , and baby P
#7 of 11 Old 05-13-2011, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter

Well, I'm just going through a period in my life where I'm feeling a strong spiritual reawakening, but I'm just not sure where I stand as far as belief in the Trinity, etc. I come from a very evangelical family- Baptist and Assembly of God primarily, but I only attended any church sporadically growing up. I've always been a sort of non-denominational seeker. In the meantime, DS likes for me to sing to him, and he has been asking a lot of religious questions lately, so I thought this would be a nice time to share some inspirational songs with him.  We don't do church, because all of the churches surrounding us are too "hellfire and brimstone" type for me- not that there's anything wrong with that, it's just not what I want to raise DS in. I'd like to give him some kind of "roots" in the faith, though, if that makes sense?

I don't really have a problem with mentions of Jesus, because at the very least I believe he was a great man with a great message... but I guess I'm just looking for something to express my faith in God while I sort out the rest. So it doesn't have to be non-Christian specifically, just light on it.  Gosh, I don't feel like I'm making any sense today- I hope that cleared it up a little?

Thank you all for all of the suggestions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MammaG View Post

Bobby McFerrin has done a really quite nice setting of the 23rd Psalm. God is referred to in the feminine, which I like, but may not be everyone's thing. It's easy to sing, and fairly easy to learn in parts. You can find it on YouTube if you are interested.

ETA, are you looking for specifically non-Christian ones, or just looking to avoid overt mention of Christ? There are ones like 'Guide me, O thou great Jehovah' that have Christian themes (and fantastic melodies!) but don't mention Christ specifically. Are those of interest?

Bookworm read.gif , computer geek geek.gif , and single mom wild.gif to DS blahblah.gifbouncy.gif (11/06)
#8 of 11 Old 05-14-2011, 02:58 PM

I really like the first 5 verses of All Creatures of our God and King...

1.      All creatures of our God and King,
        lift up your voice and with us sing,
        O praise ye!  Alleluia!
        O brother sun with golden beam,
        O sister moon with silver gleam!
        O praise ye!  O praise ye!
        Alleluia!  Alleluia!  Alleluia!

2.      O brother wind, air, clouds, and rain,
        by which all creatures ye sustain,
        O praise ye!  Alleluia!
        Thou rising morn, in praise rejoice,
        ye lights of evening, find a voice!

3.      O sister water, flowing clear,
        make music for thy Lord to hear,
        Alleluia!  Alleluia!
        O brother fire who lights the night,
        providing warmth, enhancing sight,

4.      Dear mother earth, who day by day
        unfoldest bleassings on our way,
        Alleluia!  Alleluia!
        The flowers and fruits that in thee grow,
        let them God's glory also show!

5.      All ye who are of tender heart,
        forgiving others, take your part,
        O praise ye!  Alleluia!
        Ye who long pain and sorrow bear,
        praise God and on him cast your care!

#9 of 11 Old 05-14-2011, 04:21 PM

I think I get you! There are lots of great hymns out there that are more gently Christian.

There are two rounds in our (Episcopal) hymnal that I like to sing with kids, 'Shalom Chaverim,' which is Hebrew and translated in the hymnal as 'Shalom, my friends' and 'Dona Nobis Pacem', Latin, which translates 'give us peace'. Both very simple, both easy to sing with kids.

There is a setting of the First Song of Isaiah by Jack Noble White which is simple and has a nice melody. Lots of renditions, good, bad and ugly on YouTube!

Do you like the old ones like 'Michael row the boat ashore' and 'Joshua fought the battle of Jericho'? 'He's got the whole world in His hands'? 'This little light of mine'? 'There is a balm in Gilead'? 'Go down, Moses'? I like the story ones about the Hebrew Bible stories for kids.

I love to sing 'The day thou gavest, Lord has ended' with my littles in the evening. Does mention church and 'Lord', but it's not heavy-hitting and is very soothing. I also like 'All through the night' as an evening hymn.

Ditto pp's suggestion of 'All creatures of our God and King'. Another one in that vein would be 'All things bright and beautiful'. And maybe 'For the beauty of the Earth'?

There is an online hymnal called Oremus, I think, where you can find most of these, words, music and midi files, if you like. Hope that helps!

I'm very glad you started this thread....we've been singing all week because of it!

Gwen , partner to D ; Mamma to T (6) , J (4) , and baby P
#10 of 11 Old 05-14-2011, 04:51 PM

http://www.hymnsite.com/lyrics/umh092.sht

"For the Beauty of the Earth" is one of my favorite hymns. I didn't read the whole thread, so I'm sorry if it's been mentioned.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#11 of 11 Old 05-16-2011, 04:02 AM

MammaG, your post reminded me of songs that I sang at school and camp as a kid!  There's one that goes "This is the day/This is the day/That the Lord has made/That the Lord has made/We will rejoice/We will rejoice/And be glad in it/And be glad in it."  Really cute.  There was also a catchy one about "If I was a butterfly" that we also loved, but this was in the 70s and I've not heard of it since so I'm not sure if it's available these days . . . Lots of great suggestions here, though, there's so much good music out there:-)

Benjamin's Mom, 11/13/07joy.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page