Summertime spiritual practices - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 05-23-2011, 08:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

It's almost summer, which hopefully means some great pool and beach time after the looooooong, snowy winter!  It also means a change in our church schedule - we go from 2 services, 8:00am and 10:00am, on Sunday morning to a combined 9:00am service.  While it's nice to catch up with people from the earlier service who we do not normally see, it's often a challenge to get up and out an hour earlier on a fine weekend morning!  But we make the effort because we enjoy our church community and we want to share the experience with our DS. 

During the summer when regular routines can easily become more relaxed or interrupted b/c of vacation, etc., how do you keep spiritual practices going?

Benjamin's Mom, 11/13/07joy.gif
#2 of 12 Old 05-23-2011, 09:27 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Before KIDS I would visit different churches. I would also go on mission trips. NOW it is just more of the same. But maybe I will change things up.

Summer is a GREAT  time of year. You are right it was a LLLLOOOOONNNNGGGG winter!!!!

#3 of 12 Old 05-23-2011, 09:30 AM

OH!!!! I do like to worship outside!!! So I always do that!!!!

#4 of 12 Old 05-23-2011, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter

Cool, Nazsmum!  Which church(es) did you feel most connected with when you visited?  Where did you go on your mission trips?  I enjoy worshipping outside (informally) also - I'm considering possibly doing my morning excercises in the backyard once it warms up enough.

I see you're in NJ also - yeah, how did you like January, when it pretty much snowed at least once a week for a MONTH!

#5 of 12 Old 05-23-2011, 05:00 PM

Yes, this winter was one for the record books!

Missions trips- I went to the Olympics in '96 and YWAM in Elizabeth, NJ (I forget the yr) "street witnessing" w/a friend for a summer in Westfield, NJ.

As far as churches- I have gone to so many. Where are you in NJ? I visited a cool church in Summit. If you want I could PM you with some nice places to visit.

Where are you in NJ because we have been looking for a new church for a while. Maybe you know of one for us to visit;)

#6 of 12 Old 05-24-2011, 05:33 AM

Worship outside sounds nice.
Recently I have started a morning meditation including the 4 elements in it, fire, water, wind, earth. Sometimes my kids join me if they are awake. I would so love to practice this outside but it has been super rainy.
#7 of 12 Old 05-24-2011, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter

Sounds cool.  I'm not far from Piscataway, and we go to a really nice Episcopal Church the next town over.  I can PM you with more info if you like. 

bluebirdmama1, the idea of incorporating the 4 elements into a morning meditation sounds really beautiful.  The sun is finally shining here, hope it is by you so that you can practice outside

:-) 

#8 of 12 Old 05-24-2011, 09:22 AM

See the Lord in the beauty of God's creation. Seeing the wonders of that Jesus has made. Just praying and singing songs is so freeing.

#9 of 12 Old 07-25-2011, 03:45 PM

I just want to share my favorite pastor/teacher does "outdoor reteats" in the FALL/SPRING. PA in the fall. NJ in the Spring

www.lovinggrace.org

#10 of 12 Old 07-26-2011, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for sharing!

#11 of 12 Old 07-26-2011, 05:46 PM

We don't have services in the summer, so we tend to either visit other churches, or do things at home. I attended a service today at our local spiritual center. It was a nice change of routine.

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#12 of 12 Old 08-19-2011, 01:03 PM

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page