Messianic Jewish/Christian Mamas? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-05-2004, 08:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi there.
Well, I figured I'd ask

My name is Barb and I'm a Messianic Jew.
I was born of Jewish parents and raised Jewish - tho completely secular jewish. I was never introduced to any formal Jewish religious teaching - never attended Hebrew school and was not bat mitzvah (d?). My mother was a self proclaimed Jewish agnostic - or "a Jew by culture and race", my father was brought up Orthodox and rebelled to the point of atheism and also only considered himself a Jew by blood. I was given absolutely no education on spirituality and had no relationship with G-d till I was an adult.

In junior high I joined Young Judae, a zionist youth group and at least began to learn a little. I attended synagogue with friends and tried to immerse myself into Judaism. I met with a local rabbi. I felt that somehow I was failing because I didn't feel anything when I was in temple. I didn't feel close to G-d. I spent my freshman and junior years of college in Israel as an exchange student thru that program. I studied Old and New testament. I walked and hiked to some amazing places and I started to slowly get a personal connection with G-d.... and I started to actively pray.

When I was 24 and a divorced single mama with an infant I had an "experience" that touched my heart. I can't explain it and I know to some reading this I'll sound like some "holey roller" or whatever, but I was moved and felt a connection to Jesus that I 'd never had any reason to feel. I really didn't know who He was, I wasn't taught much about Him growing up for obvious reasons except that "my people" believed that He was a prophet and not the Son of G-d. Not the Messiah. But I suddenly had this HUGE need to know more. I was drawn.

I started to read the New testament. I found everything I could on His life, His teachings and His suffering, death and ressurection.

and I began to study in the Catholic church toward conversion. I chose that church only for one reason - they had a huge conversion program full of written teachings and tests. I felt the need to truly "study" and make decisions based on what I was learning. I needed to somehow have a teacher, lessons, tests and to have my questions answered.

I converted and was baptised and confirmed when I was 26 after two years of study. I left the Catholic church pretty quickly and did some church shopping over the years. My husband and have made our spiritual home in a lovely church where the messianic influence is accepted and even embraced. We attended "Jesus in the Passover" last night - a seder at our church and I said the blessing over the festival lights for the congregation in Hebrew and helped to ensure that the basics of the seder were met.

Anyway, I've been a practicing Christ follower for the past 12 1/2 years and I was just wondering if there are any other messianic moms hanging out at mothering.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2004, 11:42 AM
Banned

I didn't grow up in an observant home, (Jewishness on dad's side)

But I've been incorporating my Jewish Heratige in a respectful manner.

How do you "do" the different holidays?

Debra Baker
Old 04-06-2004, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter

Hi Debra...
Thats what I've found in my church community too - many Christians have a desire to experience Judaism in their Christianity. There is alot of talk about how Christianity is 'missing' things - as Jesus lived his life on Earth as a Jew and we as Christians are also Jews.

Anyway, about the holidays... theres alot of really interesting information on line that we've taken and started using in our home. We do a messianic Passover...it was actually Palm Sunday night at our church. We found a messianic Chanukah guide online too. For Purim we don't do much..we bake hamentaschen and this year my kids watched Veggie Tales Esther. lol. I do fast on Yom Kippur (when not pregnant or nursing). The childrens pastor at our church works with a messianic Rabbi and she and I have recently connected so I'm hoping I can connect with him thru her kwim?

I've also got a friend who attends a messianic church and she's invited us to attend with her - their service is on saturday so we'd still be able to go to our own sunday morning service.

I guess maybe we could talk in pm's since it doesn't appear theres going to be a 'tribe' of messianics. lol

barb
Old 04-06-2004, 03:21 PM

I'm working on becomng Messanic!

I would like to say I am allready, but there is so much to it, I don't feel like I'm quite 'there' yet. So far, we have stopped celebrating the holidays we used to (Xmas, Easter, etc) and have started celebrating the God-given holidays like Shabbat and Passover. It is a bit overwhelming, but I have a message board I visit for help, and I have a big book on it. We have also been attending a Messanic Congergation and learning a lot. I even found a HS curriculum on being Messanic! (The curriculum also seems to be pro-homebirth and quiver-full and a lot of other things.) I will link to it incase anyone is interested. http://biblicalholidays.com/forum/ That is the Holiday message board and if you click on the HS forum, it takes you to the HS site, where they sell a lot of good books.

Nice to see others.
Old 05-09-2005, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter

based on some of the other threads I think I am maybe not messianic but a Jewish Christian. Or a Christian Jew. lol

Thought i'd give this a bump and see if anyone wants to chat since on some other threads I've felt...well..not so inclined to chat.

lol
Old 05-09-2005, 05:55 PM

Me + dh = heartbeat.gif ds (7/01), ds (11/03), ds (6/06)
and dd born 11/21/10 - our T21 SuperBaby ribbluyel.gif heartbeat.gif
Old 05-10-2005, 01:37 AM

I probably fit somewhere in this category - Jewish born, married to a Lutheran - and it all fits together very well for us because we share many beliefs. Biggest problem is dealing with Dh's family that can't quite figure out why we do lots of Jewish stuff (with Dd at that), when I was baptized a few years after the wedding.

I could go on and on....but I don't get online much these days...I am trying to reduce my sleep deprivation state.

But I'm here with you.
Old 06-10-2005, 02:44 PM

Hi there --

Grandfather was atheist Jew -- got a whole raft of cousins who are either Reform/non-practicing or Orthodox Orthodox! My side of the family grew up Methodist, but my parents found God pretty intensely after leaving their tipi in the 70s. I grew up in a pretty evangelical church that support JfJesus, Liberated Wailing Wall, etc.

Have a new little one at home, and am definitely on the crunchier side of mainstream, though pretty tame for this site. Looking forward to getting to know everyone more!
Old 06-22-2005, 01:04 PM

Moving this to Spirituality. See this thread for more info:

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=303060

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

Old 06-24-2005, 02:52 PM

I guess I fall into the category of Christian Jew. I was born and raised a reform Jew, was saved and baptised as an adult and meet with a Christian church. I do not practice any Jewish practices or holidays since they are not necessary for salvation and according to the Bible the commandments in ordinances were nailed to the cross and are past and over and done with. However, according to Romans ch. 14, we should not judge others if they continue to practice the holy days and eating, so I embrace all my messianic brothers and sisters in the Lord.
Old 06-26-2005, 01:19 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
IMHO, Purim is alot like "Carnevale" - Carnival, the joyous end to Winter, the cleaning out of the house after being homebound since Winter Solstice, and the anticipation of Spring - Passover.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
Old 02-13-2007, 06:32 PM

I know this is a very old thread, but I thought I'd see if any Messianic mom's still hung around on MDC. DH and I are Messianic Torah observant gentiles.

Kristi

Kristi wife to Mal , mom to Ziva (4/07) (3/08) Aliyah (1/09) and somebody new (edd 11/10). I
Old 02-13-2007, 06:38 PM

we are praticeing christians (I grew up Cathlic) but I feel that the christian faith over all is not respectfull enough of our Jewish Roots and i wish we could find a Messianic Temple as I truely feel that is the "correct" way. ANd where we'd be if it was avaable to us.

However we live in Iowa.

So As Theo grows, and I have time to read and study myself, I intend to introduce out Jewish roots here at home, and do what I can on the homeside. I must say this is where my heart is, but alas, not my education or studies -- : I have a loooooooong way to go.

I am very glad to have found this thread

Aimee + Scott = Theodore Roosevelt (11/05) and 23 months later Charles Abraham (10/07)....praying for a little sister; the search starts May 2014
Old 02-14-2007, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimee21972 View Post
we are praticeing christians (I grew up Cathlic) but I feel that the christian faith over all is not respectfull enough of our Jewish Roots and i wish we could find a Messianic Temple as I truely feel that is the "correct" way. ANd where we'd be if it was avaable to us.

However we live in Iowa.

So As Theo grows, and I have time to read and study myself, I intend to introduce out Jewish roots here at home, and do what I can on the homeside. I must say this is where my heart is, but alas, not my education or studies -- : I have a loooooooong way to go.

I am very glad to have found this thread
There are Messianic congregations in all 50 states! I'm not sure which direction they all lean or how mature they are, but there should be someone in your area who is at least thinking the same way you are. You'll hve to check on the status of these congregations but here are a few links that have lists of Messianic congregations in your state:

http://messianicfellowship.50webs.co...regations.html
http://www.yashanet.com/mescongl.htm
http://www.historah4u.com/HOME%20Cong%20Dir%20GHI.htm

HTH

Kristi

Kristi wife to Mal , mom to Ziva (4/07) (3/08) Aliyah (1/09) and somebody new (edd 11/10). I
Old 02-14-2007, 05:24 PM

thanks

i have looked a little and not found one -- i apperciapte the assitace

---- also always oipen to readig suggestions.

Aimee

Aimee + Scott = Theodore Roosevelt (11/05) and 23 months later Charles Abraham (10/07)....praying for a little sister; the search starts May 2014
Old 02-14-2007, 05:26 PM

Quote:
not a messianic but a Jewish Christian. Or a Christian Jew. lol
can i get a quick review of this -- i know that some of it has to be with if yu have Jewish Bloodline or not -- correct?

Aimee

Old 02-15-2007, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimee21972 View Post
can i get a quick review of this -- i know that some of it has to be with if yu have Jewish Bloodline or not -- correct?

Aimee
We're not Jewish. Our religious practice is Judaism but we are neitherethnic Jews nor converts. We are Torah-observant gentiles.

Kristi

Old 02-15-2007, 05:05 PM

Messianic here as well for almost 4 years already.
I'm glad to meet you, though it's not a very welcoming environment here for people like us.
Old 02-16-2007, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janelovesmax View Post
Messianic here as well for almost 4 years already.
I'm glad to meet you, though it's not a very welcoming environment here for people like us.
I know. For me at least, it feels like Christians don't understand what I'm doing or why and Jewish people usually get ticked as we're perceived as some sneaky prostletyzing movement. It's frustrating.

I've been Messianic for about 3.5 years and DH for about 6 years.

Kristi

Old 02-18-2007, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~~Mama2B~~ View Post
I know. For me at least, it feels like Christians don't understand what I'm doing or why and Jewish people usually get ticked as we're perceived as some sneaky prostletyzing movement. It's frustrating.

I've been Messianic for about 3.5 years and DH for about 6 years.

Kristi
I am sorry that you feel frustrated.
Here is how it looks from the Jewish point of view.

Many of the Jews are taught that Jews for Jesus is a sneaky prostletyzing movement - at least that is what I was taught,(I actually went through an anti JFJ role playing activity as part of a Jewish youth group activity) and, as a Jew looking at it, that is what it looks like.
If you look at it from the Jewish point of view, why would a bunch of gentiles who are Christian, start acting like Jews, using the Jewish symbols and "celebrating" the Jewish holidays and then try to "share Jesus" with them? It looks like a sneaky way of trying to convert people.
I do not mean to be snarky or anything, just explaining how it looks to the Jewish people.

I was raised in Reform Judaism and became a born-again Christian when I was 27. I went to church with my friend who shared Christ with me. I did not even consider seeking out a Messianic congregation, one reason being that I thought they were being deceptive in order to try to convert Jews.

I have studied Messianic Judaism some recently and to be honest, I still cannot figure out why a bunch of gentiles who are Christians want to act like Jews. : I am sorry, but I still don't get it.

I do now understand now that it is not a sneaky way to try to convert Jewish people to Christianity. I also believe that the Messianics love the Jewish people and respect them and I appreciate that.

I also understand that Christianity is rooted in Judaism.
But, the Bible clearly shows in Acts that the gentiles are not required to convert to Judaism nor to hold to the Jewish practices.
And there is even less reason for gentiles to start speaking in Hebrew and wearing yalmukahs.

I used to work with a woman who was Messianic and when she would share with us about how their group celebrated Passover and other Jewish holidays, it disturbed me. The way she shared it sounded like they were taking the Jewish holidays and traditions and making them into some sort of interesting, entertaining and different type of celebration or activity for them to do. To me that seems disrespectful.
I hope that not all Messianics treat the Jewish holidays and customs that way.
I do not think they intend to be disrespectful, but it appears and feels disrespectful to the Jewish people.
I am glad that the Messianic groups do love the Jewish people and do not despise them as some "Christians" do.
I just do not quite understand why they do what they do.
I imagine that most Christians do not understand it either.
But, ya'll are my sisters and brothers in the Lord, and I still love ya'll even if I do not understand you.
Old 02-19-2007, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christianmomof3 View Post
I am sorry that you feel frustrated.
Here is how it looks from the Jewish point of view.

Many of the Jews are taught that Jews for Jesus is a sneaky prostletyzing movement - at least that is what I was taught,(I actually went through an anti JFJ role playing activity as part of a Jewish youth group activity) and, as a Jew looking at it, that is what it looks like.
If you look at it from the Jewish point of view, why would a bunch of gentiles who are Christian, start acting like Jews, using the Jewish symbols and "celebrating" the Jewish holidays and then try to "share Jesus" with them? It looks like a sneaky way of trying to convert people.
I do not mean to be snarky or anything, just explaining how it looks to the Jewish people.

I was raised in Reform Judaism and became a born-again Christian when I was 27. I went to church with my friend who shared Christ with me. I did not even consider seeking out a Messianic congregation, one reason being that I thought they were being deceptive in order to try to convert Jews.

I have studied Messianic Judaism some recently and to be honest, I still cannot figure out why a bunch of gentiles who are Christians want to act like Jews. : I am sorry, but I still don't get it.

I do now understand now that it is not a sneaky way to try to convert Jewish people to Christianity. I also believe that the Messianics love the Jewish people and respect them and I appreciate that.

I also understand that Christianity is rooted in Judaism.
But, the Bible clearly shows in Acts that the gentiles are not required to convert to Judaism nor to hold to the Jewish practices.
And there is even less reason for gentiles to start speaking in Hebrew and wearing yalmukahs.

I used to work with a woman who was Messianic and when she would share with us about how their group celebrated Passover and other Jewish holidays, it disturbed me. The way she shared it sounded like they were taking the Jewish holidays and traditions and making them into some sort of interesting, entertaining and different type of celebration or activity for them to do. To me that seems disrespectful.
I hope that not all Messianics treat the Jewish holidays and customs that way.
I do not think they intend to be disrespectful, but it appears and feels disrespectful to the Jewish people.
I am glad that the Messianic groups do love the Jewish people and do not despise them as some "Christians" do.
I just do not quite understand why they do what they do.
I imagine that most Christians do not understand it either.
But, ya'll are my sisters and brothers in the Lord, and I still love ya'll even if I do not understand you.
Well for me it isn't about using Jewish customs or terms- its about being obedient disciples of Yeshua/Jesus. He was Jewish and kept many "Jewish" traditions and if we want to be his disciples we ought to do the same. And He stated clearly that the Torah was not done away with. When a person observes the Torah commands he is not "being Jewish" but being a follower of Yeshua. God is the same yesterday, today and forever and if Torah obedience was an expectation in the past it remains the same in the future.

And as for Paul, he himself was a Torah observant pharisee. He never advocated Torah-rejection and if he did he is a false teacher. Why would an observant Jewish rabbi tell people to disregard Torah? And if he did, why would anybody who's read the words of Yeshua listen to him?

I personally don't understand how I was seduced into staying in mainstram Christianity for so long. Now that I'm Messianic I just can't believe I bought the hype. I can'tmake Christianity make logically sense anymore. It blows my mind...

Kristi

By the way, JFJ IS a sneaky prostletyzing movement. They try to dress up Christianity to look Jew-friendly and then they ease Jews into mainstream Christian thought. It's very offensive. They don't advocate Messianic Judaism and most Messianics do not affiliate themselves with this anti-torah group.

K

User Tag List