~~Joyfully Pagan in June~~ - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 164 Old 06-10-2011, 07:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Cari- hugs chica, that sounds like one of those best of times/worst of times seasons.  Hope the road smooths out and the clouds open a bit more for you...

Maia- neat!

Red- we also lost one of our laying hens (probably to the neighbor's dog which is a "ha ha, yup, betcha it was her.  She sure likes to kill chickens" dog according to said neighbor.  grrrrr).  But that's ok... thankfully (?) the hen wasn't one of the ones the kiddos had personalized so they haven't noticed either the chick loss or the hen loss.  And since the hens are molting the egg count is down anyway.  Hopefully we'll have the super coop done this weekend and integrate the flocks.  (for hatcihng, be prepared for a few dead chicks... the newly mama'd hens I know all seemd to take one or two chicks to get the hang of it, so it's probably better for young kiddos to not be checking the next on their own for the first few eggs.  Though that said it's probably just me being squemish... the dead chicks at dd1's preschool didn't seem to upset any of the kiddos and they were all thrilled when the chicks started making it.  But they have a flock of about 20 chickens so maybe it was less "personal" for the kiddos)

Hair- trying to grow it out again.  LOL  I haven't had a cut since November and it's down past my ears.  Very scraggly really, and I wish I could think of a way to neaten it up a bit.  Still much to short for a ponytail or braid, but maybe I could figure out a way to sort of faux french twist it?  Because of the way the layers were cut while it was short there's an "almost mullet" thing happening which has me very unhappy... can't wait till this phase is past because a huge belly/thunder thigh pregnant mama needs /something/ that looks amazing and right now my hair is /not/ it.

Have to go get my gd testing done and it's driving me bonkers.  Torin ripped up the lab order form so I need to call the office and get a new one, but it's 45 minutes to the office (and I wont drive it alone, dh has to drive) and the office opens at 9am.  Assuming I can call ahead today and get the form prepared, they close at 3 since it's a friday and there's no way for DH to get off work that early.  So we'd have to plan on going on Monday but they require that you drink the glucola in the lab (so they can monitor you) and they ask that you not eat prior to or during the test... so best case scenario I'd pick up the forms at 9am, be in the lab by 9:30 assuming no long wait (when I went for blood work I waited over an hour, on a weekday), drink the glucola and sit in the waiting room till 10:45, get blood drawn and then finally have my first real food of the day around 11.  Since I tend to be light headed and up-chucky if I don't eat round the clock, I am really dreading this.  And as a vbac mom they wont waive this test, and if I don't pass I have to do it all over again with the 3 hour test.  And if I don't pass /that/ then things will be pretty dicey.  Bleh.  With dd1 and dd2 I was given a bottle of glucola and told to be at the lab for blood draw 1 hour after drinking it.  I understand "why" they'd ask for it to be done all in the lab (women can have reactions to the glucola, the lab can document the exact time the glucola was drunk and that it was all consumed, etc) but it's still annoying.  And the fact that Tor turned my lab order into a soaking wet tea stained "bird nest" in his attempt to mimic his sisters' craft project doesn't help!

Ah well, what will be will be.

DoK- how are you doing?  Everything working out ok?

And the poem that was actually in my head when I woke this morning...

Quote:

Hark hark the dogs do bark
The beggars are coming to town
Some in rags and some in tags
And one in a velvet gown.

Which is from Mother Goose.  And is the poem that forms the foundation of the "Beggar's Guild" in Discworld, where the leader of the Beggar's Guild wears the velvet gown (Queen Molly, for most of the books in the series).

And some musings about Mother Goose as a pagan figure and nursery rhymes as a pagan parenting tool here, here (they have a 30 second youtube of their mother goose circle casting here), and here.

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#62 of 164 Old 06-11-2011, 06:00 AM

(((hugs))) to everyone who needs them!

I'm in pain - coccyx. Lower back is killing me. I've put ice, I've taken ibuprofen, I've tried a few exercices... nothing seems to work and my chiro appointment is only on June 23...

Valérie   
#63 of 164 Old 06-11-2011, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie.Qc View PostI'm in pain - coccyx. Lower back is killing me. I've put ice, I've taken ibuprofen, I've tried a few exercices... nothing seems to work and my chiro appointment is only on June 23...

Oh, Valerie, hatin' it! hug2.gif I'm sorry; that is one of the worst pains. Ibuprofen doesn't help? You can take like 800mgs at a time, but not again for like 8 hours. Try upping the dose.

DS had his last day of school yesterday. They have their "Moving-up Ceremony" tonight. It's really cute-- it's the 8th grade graduation, but they honor all the progress of the lower grades, too, like this: There are rows of empty chairs in front of the stage, facing the audience. Each grade sits in a couple of rows in the audience, reserved for them so that their class all sits together with their teachers. After each 8th grader receives hir diploma, s/he sits in the empty chairs facing the audience, till the whole 8th grade has received their diploma and they've filled up the new chairs.

Then, starting with 7th grade, and each grade in turn, each teacher (in this example, the 8th grade teacher/s) says a few words to welcome the rising 8th graders, and the whole 7th grade (now rising 8th) physically "moves up" into the chairs recently vacated by the now-graduated 8th graders.

And so on, all the way down to the rising Kindergardeners, who are welcome to "move up" and sit in the recently vacated Kindergarden chairs.
It's really cute! And a nice physical way to honor all the grades, without having a dang graduation for every grade.

DS, after tonight, will be a rising 5th grader. Already!!!

I am watching Julie's kids today, as a payback for her keeping DS when I go to MA. I am so grateful, srsly. I'll do her favors forever, for this loveeyes.gif Only 23 more days!!! luxlove.gif

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

#64 of 164 Old 06-11-2011, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiasaura View Post

Oh, Valerie, hatin' it! hug2.gif I'm sorry; that is one of the worst pains. Ibuprofen doesn't help? You can take like 800mgs at a time, but not again for like 8 hours. Try upping the dose.

I can't take more than 400mg at a time or I get side effects that can be scary. I found out when the dentist prescribed 600mg pills - I thought I was going to die.

I love the Moving up ceremony! That's a great way to celebrate everyone!

Valérie   
#65 of 164 Old 06-11-2011, 01:54 PM

Super busy.  Pretty stressed.  Still looking for a new place.  Looking forward to the Barefoot conference on the 24th/25th.  Roo is super excited about it!

I really wish I could start painting again.  It's one of the things I definitely plan on doing once I move.  Can't spend the money on supplies right now due to the move, etc.  Ds needs a new bed (there's one at Ikea I want to get for him for $200.)  Also need a dining table (I want a round one.)

Such much planning; Not enough caffeine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View Post

DoK- how are you doing?  Everything working out ok?

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

#66 of 164 Old 06-11-2011, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie.Qc View PostI can't take more than 400mg at a time or I get side effects that can be scary. I found out when the dentist prescribed 600mg pills - I thought I was going to die.

Oh, man...well, I tried.

Yeah, I love it too! I seriously hate that there are graduations for every dang grade, now, it seems. Kindergarden graduation, really eyesroll.gif

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

#67 of 164 Old 06-11-2011, 06:46 PM

Valerie, I completely agree..BIG HUGS to all the mamas hug2.gif  What a week!

Thanks for all the thoughts for my FIL.  He basically told the doctor to this morning that he had to get out of the hospital or he was going to lose it.  He is doing well and I think he and my MIL will start doing a little less for everyone (they are so generous with their time in many volunteer organizations since they are retired) and *hopefully* do a little more sitting by their waterfall drinking wine. 

redveg - I totally relate about "getting back in charge of life" - I was up late last night which I usually do after a crazy week just to regroup myself, have a little self-talk and reorganize my brain. 

wombatclay - just reading about your gd test makes me HUNGRY.  Best wishes getting through to the other side of that appointment. 

maia- It must be really cool for the children to actually get to move into the seats of the older kids.  Does it seem more meaningful to them?  I like that they take into account all different learning styles into the moving up ceremony - really cool.

DoK - agreed, definitely not enough caffeine. 

Hoping everyone's Sunday is full of peace. 

peace.gif Mama and tiphat.gif Daddy (6/04) and energy.gifZ (5/10) make 3!  heartbeat.gif

#68 of 164 Old 06-11-2011, 08:24 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Hey all, I'm trying to keep up, but... dizzy.gif

Clay - loving the poems; keep em coming.

Valerie - OUCH! I'd get me a donut pillow if I was you... Hope the chiro can fix it... goodvibes.gif

DOK - Conferences are FUN! I hope you can get some supplies and get painting. I look forward to seeing pics of your work.

We are at the Contagion: Outbreak Convention in Omaha for the store. It's a big drain, but worth it... I saw the most awesome Iron Man and War Machine duo dancing to "Bad Romance" by Lady Gaga... ROTFLMAO.gif

We aren't really making the sales, but there is always tomorrow.

We were supposed to have Spiral Dance, a pagan music group out of Australia, on the podcast tonight, but technical difficulties prevented that from happening. Fortunately they are going to reschedule. orngbiggrin.gif

The kids are having a BLAST at Gramma's and my man is snoring on the hotel bed... 7 am comes really early these days. See y'all laters!

Check out my business, Pangaia Metaphysical Store, and radio blog, Pagan Musings.
I'm a witchy mama to DS ('06) and DD ('10) with DH, Stormie, a heathen homemaker daddy.

#69 of 164 Old 06-12-2011, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaughterOfKali View Post

Cari- hug2.gif  That's a sincere hug, by the way.  ;-)  Are you going to a regular pediatrician for an assessment?  I don't know about there, but in the US, so many regular pediatricians don't know squat about neuropsych issues.  If it's a Developmental Ped, that's a little better.

Please let me know if you want to chat about life with a special needs child.  We could probably both use some kind company with someone who 'gets' it.

Thanks Dok,  it's a paed that specializes in learning and behavioural disorders, so hopefully she will be good.  DH is having trouble, and we've decided he won't go with us (he really NEEDS to be working anyway) because all he will hear is someone telling him his son is not perfect and he tends to dig his heels in and get defensive.  So it's my job to take it all in, and then beat dh over the head with it gently so that he gets the information, and what we are going to do about it :)  because he won't get that way with me.   I am wishy washy on how I feel the school is working with Lucas.. it was into the 2nd term when he met with the guidance officer who set up the behavioural referal with the district (and term 1 was 12 weeks!) so I feel that it took too long and now he is suffering the social effects of that among his peers :(  He is not well liked and it hurts me to know that 

Quote:
Originally Posted by redveg View Post

Morning all,

Anyone have anything planned for the weekend?  I am taking the weekend to really get focused.  I have been letting a lot of things slip by and become quite lazy about my spiritual practicing with so much going on here, my garden all the animals, looking for colleges with the kids and a ton of garbage at DH's work that has been putting him in a stink I have just let things get way out of control and it's time to get back in charge of my life:) 

Well, I am subbing.  Going to try to set aside time to get on this machine at night and catch up with you all.  Have a great weekend:)

Sorry about your piggy drama red :(   Sounds like a bit of a bummer.   This weekend I worked 6-2 saturday and 6-9sunday (that's am) although on saturday I was given the ok to come home between the drop ins (about a 3hour break) which was cool.   Kept Lucas home friday as he had a wicked temperature ... then on friday quinn started as well... then early sat morning Connor joined the club :(  So it's vegging around the house, taking ibuprofen, watching movies and sleeping lots for them.  Thankfully I had nothing other than work on lol.  Good for you, getting things back in control...want to help ME do that too!?!?!? :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie.Qc View Post

I can't take more than 400mg at a time or I get side effects that can be scary. I found out when the dentist prescribed 600mg pills - I thought I was going to die.

ICK,  I have been there,done that with the backside pain... I have a cast iron gut for meds though lol, and easily downed the 800mg.  Have you tried hot soaks in the tub, or in the shower if you cannot sit at all?

Quote:

Super busy.  Pretty stressed.  Still looking for a new place.  Looking forward to the Barefoot conference on the 24th/25th.  Roo is super excited about it!

I really wish I could start painting again.  It's one of the things I definitely plan on doing once I move.  Can't spend the money on supplies right now due to the move, etc.  Ds needs a new bed (there's one at Ikea I want to get for him for $200.)  Also need a dining table (I want a round one.)

Such much planning; Not enough caffeine.

Happy apartment hunting!  I need to get back into my creative pursuits as well... I miss my beading and stitching :(  But I just have nothing to give it at the moment, ya know???  I'd give ya my dining set if I was closer lol... I need a 6seater and mine's only 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfcat View Post

We were supposed to have Spiral Dance, a pagan music group out of Australia, on the podcast tonight, but technical difficulties prevented that from happening. Fortunately they are going to reschedule. orngbiggrin.gif

The kids are having a BLAST at Gramma's and my man is snoring on the hotel bed... 7 am comes really early these days. See y'all laters!

They are SO cool, very celtic inspired.  We have several of their cd's (Magick & Woman of the Earth I know offhand) and we had the pleasure of seeing them live (and stayed in the bunkhouse with them hehe) at a Pagan festival years ago!  They're very lively performers and lots of fun... their music is my favourite to put on the ipod and clean house to... it gets me dancing lol

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
#70 of 164 Old 06-12-2011, 12:37 AM

And SIGH... I made the mistake of browsing real estate... there is a cute little house for only 259k (yep that is a rock bottom bargain here! lol) that I so wish we could buy.  I keep wanting to contact the mortgage choice office and look into it, but we have zero savings for a deposit or any of the fees and incidentals that come up when you are buying a house greensad.gif  So obviously now is not the time... but still makes me blah!

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
#71 of 164 Old 06-12-2011, 06:09 AM

Just did a quick browse through. Love the poems ladies!

Anyway, we are back from Maine, and I am sick again! How did I get sick on my vacation?  And I'm seriously bummed out because my new niece was born the day I left (on a New Moon and solar eclipse, like mine was), and I still can't go to see her because I don't want her to have this mucus-y throat plague.

Anyway, hugs to those who need them.

Come ponder with me about food!
#72 of 164 Old 06-12-2011, 06:28 AM - Thread Starter

Rainy (busy) weekend... both sets of grandparents were visiting here yesterday and the kids went bonkers.  And not "happy fun" bonkers but "oh my gods how can you do that in front of my parents/in laws" bonkers.  It was not a shining mommy moment... especially since our work truck died while DH was loading up the trash (that he'd "forgotten" to take to the dump for a few weeks and was ponging like anything) and so my MIL loaned him her truck and was therefore "trapped" here for about two hours longer than she planned while the kiddos melted down loadly.

My whine about my hair the other day has resolved... I got some scissors and gave myself a haircut!  It actually looks pretty nice... fun and funky.  I used to cut my hair all the time in college (the famous "self inflicted avant garde hairstyle").

I'm at my wits ends with dd2... everything leads to crazy high pitched screaming, and when she isn't screaming she's licking things and poking holes in things, and throwing things, and... it's like she's just not reachable when she has any sort of emotional twitch.  Something goes wrong and it's ALL over for the next 40-60 minutes.  I'm having some tough times (physically) with the pregnancy and when ds is thrashing around on the floor and dd2 is screaming her head off and I can barely move... it's just not one of those happy moments.  Argh.  We really need to get in to see the dev ped.  And/or a doctor for me!

Poetry:  Since I wasn't online yesterday, I've got two for today!  :)

Elinor Wylie's poem Incantation begins like this:

Quote:
A white well
in a black cave;
A bright shell
in a dark wave

A white rose
Black brambles hood;
Smooth bright snows
in a dark wood

And here's a poetic song I've sung as a lullabye since before dd1 was born...the Lyke-Wake Dirge (pagan adaptation in which "Earth receives your soul" from the Reclaiming cd):

Quote:

This ae nighte, this ae night
Every nighte and all,
Fire and sleet and candle lighte,
May Earth receive thy soul.

When thou from hence away art passed,
Every nighte and all,
To Whinnie-moor thou com’st at last.

If ever thou gavest hosen or shoon,
Every nighte and all,
Sit thee down and put them on.

If hosen or shoon thou ne’er gavest nane,
Every nighte and all,
The whinnies shall prick thee to the bare bane.

The poem basically describes the passage of a soul from earth to afterlife and the challenges that soul may face.  The outcome of each challenge (a brambled moor, a narrow bridge, a burning fire, etc) depends on how the soul lived their life... the brambled moor is no problem is the soul is prepared with shoes/leggings, but the soul only has shoes/leggings if, during life, they helped clothe others.  The other challenges are similar... if the soul in life helped others, then they will receive help in passing the challenges unharmed.

While it's a christian chant, it's equally well suited to almost any spiritual path or religious tradition... "as you sew, so shall you reap", "as above, so below", etc.  And it reminds me of all the classic fairy tales and myth cycles and "cythonic" story cycles where the hero/heroine travels through the realm of the dead to achieve their goal, or is given aid based on prior good works (being helped by a fox after saving the fox from a trap, being given directions by the old woman at the well after raising the bucket so she could drink, etc).  The Descent of Innanna and the story of Psyche and Cupid especially.

mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#73 of 164 Old 06-12-2011, 07:33 AM

Clay- ah, sounds like a very rough day. *hugs* I would contact Early Intervention, I know you have worked with them in the past and see if they will do a re-eval. Have you seen new/additional behaviors since the last eval? Has she regressed at all? (I hate the word regressed for this, to me it is more like the child's old coping skills aren't cutting it anymore, though I know there is true regression sometimes).

I need to head to church.

Much love to all!

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#74 of 164 Old 06-12-2011, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CariOfOz View Post

He is not well liked and it hurts me to know that 

Oh Cari, I know the feeling well.  My son isn't liked by the kids or the teachers and it's heartbreaking.  Here's a virtual hug and a big Bailey's for you.

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

#75 of 164 Old 06-12-2011, 04:59 PM

Clay, oh dear... why do kids always seem to pick THE worst time to lose their minds????   I am holding out for our paed appt too, my sanity is stretched!

Quote:

Oh Cari, I know the feeling well.  My son isn't liked by the kids or the teachers and it's heartbreaking.  Here's a virtual hug and a big Bailey's for you.

Thanks DOK... it really does suck.  Dh and I have been talking and I'm probably giving the school until the end of term 3 to show some progress, if not I'll pull him and sign on with the local school of distance education after that.  If that happens, I'll get back in touch with the homeschool group I was with before and see if we can set up some social activities out this way so he doesn't feel isolated.  What makes it really hard is that Connor is just thriving... he LOVES going to school and even says on Saturdays that he can't wait to go back to school.  It's really hard to see Lucas struggle to cope with the social side of school, while Connor just eats it up.  It almost makes me wish we'd never enrolled them, but life is chaotic enough with them at school... I'd lose my mind if I had to do it all :(

#76 of 164 Old 06-13-2011, 06:37 AM - Thread Starter

hugs to all the mamas in need of a little extra chocolate, coffee, tea, fruit smoothie, or eye candy of your choice!

DD1 graduates from preschool this week, and it marks an end to our participation in that community (at least for a year or so) and I'm all heartbruised.  I'm making a cross stitch for the headmistress and working super fast to have it done by the Thursday graduation.  This week is already so jam packed full... I HAVE to get the GTT stuff done tomorrow morning, then Thursday is the graduation and Friday is my midwife appointment.  And dh has to take time off from work for each of those so he'll be working crazy late hours to make up for those times.  And since the students are gone now he has less help than usual getting the "routine" things done soooooo.  He's going crazy too.

Aeress- EI told us they couldn't help (off the record, I bumped into dd2's old therapist and we chatted and basically the local EI group has no budget and very few resources so they're not really in a "bend over backwards to help" situation), that we'd have to see a dev ped on our own first (there are no dev peds associated with the local EI unit at this time so they can't send us to one even if we were enrolled).  Our insurance does cover a few, which is great, but none of them are "local local" and we've been warned that wait times for new patients can be a few months.  Dh is calling around but an appointment in Sept just doesn't work for us at all!

DS had a 2am freak out this morning, then dd2 wet the bed (not her bed, oh no, she crawled into the big bed, snuggled, and then peed all over dh's side of the bed) and had her own freak out, and while dd1 is trying to be a super helper this morning and I appreciate it, it's causing more work downstream.  I think this must be one of those days where you have to hit the ground running and just not look back.  A true Red Queen's Race sort of morning.  We have to go into town for a few things and I'm thinking I'll dig through the drawers for a dollar or two for coffee.  I'm finally able to drink it again (and man do I need it!) but our coffee pot is all packed away and we don't even have any coffee of the shelf.  Tea strong enough to float a mule, but no coffee.

So lets see, wash the sheets and air the mattress.  Go into town and find thrift store stuff that can be crafted into a fairy costume for dd2.  Find a frame for the cross stitch and finish said cross stitch.  Call the midwife to get a new GTT order, the mechanic to schedule an inspection of our work truck (it died but it may not be worth fixing), the bank to check on my debit card (which isn't working meaning everything I've done this week has been on a cc), and RSVP to a messages.  Also rose rustlin' and planting, garden weeding, and the regularly scheduled Motivated Mom chores.

And then I'll save the world and bake cookies, yes?  LOL  :)

And for poetry, this is a day for Haiku!  I adore haiku and used to be part of a haiku group (I've even had a few published in journals!).  My fav haiku master is Matsu Basho.

Quote:

where's the moon?
as the temple bell is --
sunk in the sea

Quote:

Wrapping dumplings in 
bamboo leaves, with one finger 
she tidies her hair   

Quote:

Heard, not seen, 
the camellia poured rainwater 
when it leaned

Quote:

Wake, butterfly -
It's late, we've miles
To go together.

Haiku are short and highly constrained (these are in translation so the rules aren't as apparent) with rules about the number of syllables allowed in a line, the types of words that can be used, and even certain thematic limits on some forms... but Basho's poems are just so much fun.  Some are artsy-fartsy but others are just very very clear sighted.  Looking at something "everyday" and then managing to use just a few words to convey the entire world of experience and story behind that every day moment.  Like the woman brushing her hair back while working.

#77 of 164 Old 06-13-2011, 07:29 AM

popping in....

I'm getting ready now, mentally, for my big trip to an herb conference.  I'm driving...  anyone along the way (and I really do mean "along the interstate" - no time for 4 hour detours!) between Indianapolis and Boston that I can stop by to greet?  I get to drive our truck while dh gets a car rental...  Meanwhile, every other day, ds asks "is today the day you leave?"

We've been toying about the notion of rainbarrels.  All the ones we could find were glorified tubs of plastic.  Well, I really don't want to spend a lot of money on a plastic tub that will only last for a few years.  So then I wondered about recycled wooden barrels - whiskey or wine - and after much much hunting we found a source.  In MA, not too far from the conference site.  Some individual refurbishes Kentucky whiskey barrels, so we're not really saving a whole lot of fuel in the grand scheme of things (they did have to go from KY all the way to MA and now we're bringing them back to the midwest).  We just don't have to pay for shipping them... a savings which is exactly offset by the cost of the car rental.  Oh well, car rental was needed for one of us anyhow.  The difference between car rental + hotel and the airplane + car rental (to get from airport to conference) was just the extra 2 days that I get to be by myself.

So much poetry here!  I feel like I should be wearing a different colored version of this dress (http://tinyurl.com/6yojpg3)  or this one (http://tinyurl.com/3hyt3sd) or this one, unaltered (http://www.toririchard.com/browse.cfm/solstice-dress/4,655.html).  Eating grapes, slurping wine, with a wreath of flowers in my hair.  I'm reminded of a Star Trek Next Gen episode... the one where Lt. Barclay creates the holodeck scenes with his crewmates...  Deana saying, "Cast off your inhibitions"... 

I'm still waiting to hear back from that job interview...  At least they haven't said no, right?

So who has Solstice plans, menus, activities, crafts settled in their minds?

Oh, and did you all see this piece (via Mrs. B on Facebook): http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2011/06/12/my-faith-how-saying-a-blessing-changed-my-secular-family-meals/?hpt=hp_c1

Jennifer, Naturopath and mom

#78 of 164 Old 06-13-2011, 07:32 AM

Clay- shoot, I was hoping EI might be the easiest way to go. *hugs* I love your humor!

Cari- Sorry, I haven't been back to the thread yesterday.  I have been thinking of you and your work concerns and the kids being sick. When is the eval again?

I am just not sleeping well right now. *blech* I think I need to reinstate my bath and book nights.

Off to run errands.

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#79 of 164 Old 06-13-2011, 08:38 AM

Quote:

Red- we also lost one of our laying hens (probably to the neighbor's dog which is a "ha ha, yup, betcha it was her.  She sure likes to kill chickens" dog according to said neighbor.  grrrrr).  But that's ok... thankfully (?) the hen wasn't one of the ones the kiddos had personalized so they haven't noticed either the chick loss or the hen loss.  And since the hens are molting the egg count is down anyway.  Hopefully we'll have the super coop done this weekend and integrate the flocks.  (for hatcihng, be prepared for a few dead chicks... the newly mama'd hens I know all seemd to take one or two chicks to get the hang of it, so it's probably better for young kiddos to not be checking the next on their own for the first few eggs.  Though that said it's probably just me being squemish... the dead chicks at dd1's preschool didn't seem to upset any of the kiddos and they were all thrilled when the chicks started making it.  But they have a flock of about 20 chickens so maybe it was less "personal" for the kiddos)

Had a baby chick yesterday but by the time I found it it was too late:(  She is still sitting on 4 eggs so I am checking every hour during the day to see if I can save the rest of them.  My DH is building a coop too with an area for baby chicks to be safe.  I have raised them inside before and it's smelly!  This time I am most likely going to bring these chicks in but there will only be at the most 4 so not too bad.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valerie.Qc View Post

(((hugs))) to everyone who needs them!

I'm in pain - coccyx. Lower back is killing me. I've put ice, I've taken ibuprofen, I've tried a few exercices... nothing seems to work and my chiro appointment is only on June 23...

:(  Hope you feel better. 

Quote:

DS had his last day of school yesterday. They have their "Moving-up Ceremony" tonight. It's really cute--

I am watching Julie's kids today, as a payback for her keeping DS when I go to MA. I am so grateful, srsly. I'll do her favors forever, for this loveeyes.gif Only 23 more days!!! luxlove.gif

Congrats to your DS:)  I bet he's happy summer is here:)  Hopefully when you get up here to NE the rain and bugs will be gone:)

Quote:

Thanks Dok,  it's a paed that specializes in learning and behavioural disorders, so hopefully she will be good.  DH is having trouble, and we've decided he won't go with us (he really NEEDS to be working anyway) because all he will hear is someone telling him his son is not perfect and he tends to dig his heels in and get defensive.  So it's my job to take it all in, and then beat dh over the head with it gently so that he gets the information, and what we are going to do about it :)  because he won't get that way with me.   I am wishy washy on how I feel the school is working with Lucas.. it was into the 2nd term when he met with the guidance officer who set up the behavioural referal with the district (and term 1 was 12 weeks!) so I feel that it took too long and now he is suffering the social effects of that among his peers :(  He is not well liked and it hurts me to know that 

Sorry about your piggy drama red :(    Good for you, getting things back in control...want to help ME do that too!?!?!? :)

Thanks Cari.  So sorry to hear about your DS's difficult time in school.  It hurts so much as a parent to know your children don't fit in and are not well liked.  I have one DD who has always been very social and just seemed to have the easiest time clicking with others, one DD who is a bit shy and it takes her time to make friends, to fit in and then she seems to only have one or two that she really talks with.  This DD gets along a lot better with boys than she does with girls and I think she has always felt a little in her sisters shadow.  It doesn't help that they are triplets either because everyone seems to compare them which is hurtful to her.  Now My DS has always been on the outside looking in, teased, left out, picked on, by children and a teacher. This took years for us to help him overcome some of the negative feelings he developed about himself, the teacher really had an impact on him:(  We did report it and have him removed from the class, but looking back I wish we would have removed him from the school.  I wasn't aware of homeschooling back then.  We worked around this  by having him involved with activities outside of school like martial arts.  He made friends there and it helped him with his confidence.   I hope things get better for your little guy. 

Quote:

My whine about my hair the other day has resolved... I got some scissors and gave myself a haircut!  It actually looks pretty nice... fun and funky.  I used to cut my hair all the time in college (the famous "self inflicted avant garde hairstyle").

I'm at my wits ends with dd2... everything leads to crazy high pitched screaming, and when she isn't screaming she's licking things and poking holes in things, and throwing things, and... it's like she's just not reachable when she has any sort of emotional twitch.  Something goes wrong and it's ALL over for the next 40-60 minutes.  I'm having some tough times (physically) with the pregnancy and when ds is thrashing around on the floor and dd2 is screaming her head off and I can barely move... it's just not one of those happy moments.  Argh.  We really need to get in to see the dev ped.  And/or a doctor for me!

I wish I had the guts to cut my hair!  So sorry about DD2:(  You have your hands full.  I don't know how you do it.  Is there anyone close to you who could help you out?  Even if it was just to be there to keep things going,  giving you time to focus on her or some time for yourself.  (((hugs)))

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aeress View Post

I am just not sleeping well right now. *blech* I think I need to reinstate my bath and book nights.

Not sleeping is the worst for me.  I hope you get some sleep.

earth.gif lovin, treehugger.gif  veggie

#80 of 164 Old 06-13-2011, 08:47 AM

Morning, almost afternoon all:)

Hope everyone had a nice weekend.  Rain, rain and more rain is what we got.  The one thing I learned about myself while writing in my journal is I can be so the glass is half empty with everything about me but be so positive, always seeing the bright possibilities with everyone else and their lives.  My mission is to  notice the good, positive things first. 

#81 of 164 Old 06-13-2011, 11:28 AM

Clay - that really sucks about the GTT! Hope the icky not eating feeling doesn't bug you that day :)

Maia - what a beautiful graduation ceremony! I think that is wonderful and acknowledges the transition for all of the students.

vydalea - I'm sorry to hear about your FIL. That certainly is scary!

Solstice plans...none yet. Really I'm not even thinking about it, mostly because we don't know when this little babe will be in our arms and what plans he or she may have. If anyone has ideas for something SUPER simple to do with a newborn and preschooler, let me know!

Had my midwife home visit today. She now considers me full term! This has never happened before! I am on cloud 9! Granted I have bad pain in my pubic bone, so I still have to see a chiro to help that out, but who cares...we made it! She also said that we should have all the *fun* I can stand to help my cervix (we didn't check and I'm not one to go poking if there is no need) but since we weren't allowed for this pregnancy to help get to term, now that we are here, she wants to give my cervix all the help it can take.

Otherwise, DD is home and we have been playing - went to the park and the mall for a bit (more like to the bank). I am working on wrapping up my military work because I have a few outstanding big things that others can't do.

In some secret part of me, I was hoping to find out we were doing camps this year. I love going back and re-reading the old ones but it would be cool to have something for me to read (and slowly reply to as I am nak) lol. I also feel like I could use a push in my spiritual life to *do* more. Just need to find out what it is that is actually calling me.

Nicole: mama to DD and DS, childbirth educator and doula. Dancing the spiral dance of life bellycast.gif

#82 of 164 Old 06-13-2011, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter

So far so good!

Went to the thrift store and found not only a rainbow crochet baby blanket that will make a wonderful "butterfly fairy" wing outfit but a stack of Tamora Pierce books, a book of Mad Scientist type experiments DH and dd1 will have a blast doing, and a Black&Decker toy tool bench with ALL the bells/whistles (a power drill press, circular saw, hammers, wrenches, saws, velcro lined "boards", nails/screws, etc) for 6 dollars.  Yes, it huge and horrible plastic but YAY!  The kiddos love it, and it'll keep them busy with their own tools while DH is using the real, live, spinning blades of death.  (I'm always on edge when dh is using the saw tables and whatnot since I can just see one of the kids bumping him or hitting the blade and ACK!  my high school shop teacher took the "gory story" approach to shop safety route and I actually cut a divet out of a finger on a band saw sooooo... I'm a nervous nelly!)

Sheets are washing, bed is still airing out with a new layer of baking soda on the "offended bits", and while I have no clue what to make for dinner we do have rice pasta, tofu, and random canned sauce my mom made so I'm seeing something in the world of "pasta dish".  LOL

Finally got in touch with the midwives and have a nice new lab form waiting at the desk for me to pick up tomorrow.  I'm not supposed to eat before the test so if I get the form at 8am, am taken right into the lab, then wait the hour and am tested ASAP I should be out by 10.  I hope.  Pretty please?!?

No real plans yet for the full moon or Solstice.  I need to get on that!  :)

#83 of 164 Old 06-13-2011, 03:20 PM

HI all! I'm too lazy to go back and multi-quote. Yeah, I know jaw2.gif lol.gif

Singin', YAY on the full term! So, you didn't find out the sex...do y'all have names picked out? I so was happy to eliminate half of the baby name book, halfway through the pregnancy. DS was so active inside that I didn't think he'd show his parts, but he did. That was the one and only ultrasound I had.

Clay, you are wonder woman, I swear. I couldn't get done in a WEEK, the things you leave UNdone in a day.

Oh-- get puddle pads, woman! Why don't you have them? I have them on ALL the beds, including mine. You know-- waterproof big sheet thingies that you put under the sheets on the crib? They make big bed-sized ones. I like the ones from Babies'R'Us, the crib-sized ones, embossed with teddy bears. I don't know if they still carry them, as I got mine 10 years ago, but I'm sure they must. They're even more absorbent now than they were when ds was born, I swear! Also, once, I found big wool-sort-of blankets at the thrift store. I think they might be old hospital ones or something. I have those on my bed as well, all felted and absorbent. No WAY am I getting my mattress all eeky.

redveg-- M says "no bugs here" thumb.gif

Speaking of M-- he went and got his blood count today. They had to send the results to a doctor, so it may be awhile before we hear, but I'm so glad he did it. I'm really hoping he didn't eff up by stopping the Gleevec. I really, really hope he has another chance. I'm so very scared, mamas. I'm trying not to be. He keeps saying he's fine, but he's not. That's his way of pushing away fear, by ignoring greensad.gif

DS has been ultra snarky again. He wet his bed last night for the 2nd time in 3 days-- the 3rd time in like 2 weeks. I'm really bothered by this! What could be causing him to do this?? He's 10yo. He has sporadically wet since he got night-dry at around 4ish years old, but like...maybe 2-3 times a year, at most.

I wouldn't care; I'd be completely sympathetic, if he would Just.Stop.The Attitude. But he did come home from summercare today and made his own bed. I didn't think he would try because it's really hard to do (twin over full bunk) and I have trouble doing it-- and I have plenty of experience.

I just said, on the way home, "Your sheets are in the dryer. I think they're probably dry" and left it alone. I said he could have his Omnitrix back after he made the bed. He did make the bed, and hasn't even asked for the Omnitrix! So yay. Now I know he can make the bed, I wash my dang hands of the whole thing.

#84 of 164 Old 06-13-2011, 06:43 PM

So feeling better over here, though not 100%. DH again did not get the job. ARGH! However, a full time job where he works now opened up-his boss' job. He called him today to ask about whether he can be a reference (seeing as it's what the boss used to do, DH feels weird), but didn't get to talk because his boss was having a horrible day (got into a car crash on the way to his FIL's memorial service). So he'll try tomorrow. Two other jobs are open, one where we normally vacation, in VT, and one in the town I grew up in, a whole 15 minutes away!!!! For the love of the gods, can one school please just hire my DH?!? And keep him?

My local pagan shop is moving...further away, sadly. But I don't care. The new space will be much bigger, and no more scary Bible and Koran quoting neighbors.

Hugs to those who need them.

#85 of 164 Old 06-13-2011, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeress View Post

Clay- shoot, I was hoping EI might be the easiest way to go. *hugs* I love your humor!

Cari- Sorry, I haven't been back to the thread yesterday.  I have been thinking of you and your work concerns and the kids being sick. When is the eval again?

Off to run errands.

Bath & book night sounds good!   Lucas's paed appt is on the 22nd of this month, so not far off now.  Of course I have to come up with the 280bucks to pay for it (about 220 will be deposited back into my acct by medicare though) and finances are a bit wonky at the moment :S  We'll make it somehow though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by redveg View Post

Thanks Cari.  So sorry to hear about your DS's difficult time in school.  It hurts so much as a parent to know your children don't fit in and are not well liked.  I have one DD who has always been very social and just seemed to have the easiest time clicking with others, one DD who is a bit shy and it takes her time to make friends, to fit in and then she seems to only have one or two that she really talks with.  This DD gets along a lot better with boys than she does with girls and I think she has always felt a little in her sisters shadow.  It doesn't help that they are triplets either because everyone seems to compare them which is hurtful to her.  Now My DS has always been on the outside looking in, teased, left out, picked on, by children and a teacher. This took years for us to help him overcome some of the negative feelings he developed about himself, the teacher really had an impact on him:(  We did report it and have him removed from the class, but looking back I wish we would have removed him from the school.  I wasn't aware of homeschooling back then.  We worked around this  by having him involved with activities outside of school like martial arts.  He made friends there and it helped him with his confidence.   I hope things get better for your little guy. 

I really want to get him started doing something like martial arts, but it's bloody hard with the odd schedule work causes.  What's really sad to me is that he doesn't really seem to GET the way things are :( 

Quote:
Originally Posted by singin_angel View Post

Had my midwife home visit today. She now considers me full term! This has never happened before! I am on cloud 9! Granted I have bad pain in my pubic bone, so I still have to see a chiro to help that out, but who cares...we made it! She also said that we should have all the *fun* I can stand to help my cervix (we didn't check and I'm not one to go poking if there is no need) but since we weren't allowed for this pregnancy to help get to term, now that we are here, she wants to give my cervix all the help it can take.

In some secret part of me, I was hoping to find out we were doing camps this year. I love going back and re-reading the old ones but it would be cool to have something for me to read (and slowly reply to as I am nak) lol. I also feel like I could use a push in my spiritual life to *do* more. Just need to find out what it is that is actually calling me.

Congrats!  now go have a baby hehehhe!     A camp would have been nice, but I think so many of us have SO much on our plates at the moment that we couldn't have sustained one!

Nobody has a temp here this morning, but I still kept them home for the day so they can well & truly get over this flu bug.  So it'll be an inside day at home today, I might bake some muffins or something :)  I have to work at 6pm but otherwise a cruisy day ... did the floors, need to do the dishwasher and fold some laundry to at least pretend I'm productive hehehe

#86 of 164 Old 06-14-2011, 04:43 AM

Quote:

DS has been ultra snarky again. He wet his bed last night for the 2nd time in 3 days-- the 3rd time in like 2 weeks. I'm really bothered by this! What could be causing him to do this?? He's 10yo. He has sporadically wet since he got night-dry at around 4ish years old, but like...maybe 2-3 times a year, at most.

I remember my DS doing the same thing.  It only happened a few times and he was an emotional wreck about it.  It was right before or after we moved and at first I thought it was caused by the stress involved with that, I think it was puberty though?  Having a whet dream (not sure of spelling) and then wetting the bed on top of it?  After a few talks about how it's normal and he wasn't odd seemed to help and it stopped.  So my guess would be one of those?

Quote:
Originally Posted by witchygrrl View Post

So feeling better over here, though not 100%. DH again did not get the job. ARGH! However, a full time job where he works now opened up-his boss' job. He called him today to ask about whether he can be a reference (seeing as it's what the boss used to do, DH feels weird), but didn't get to talk because his boss was having a horrible day (got into a car crash on the way to his FIL's memorial service). So he'll try tomorrow. Two other jobs are open, one where we normally vacation, in VT, and one in the town I grew up in, a whole 15 minutes away!!!! For the love of the gods, can one school please just hire my DH?!? And keep him?

My local pagan shop is moving...further away, sadly. But I don't care. The new space will be much bigger, and no more scary Bible and Koran quoting neighbors.

Hope your DH gets a full time job asap so that worry can be off the table.  Car crash!  Hope it was a little fender bender and everyone is ok.  What I need around here is a good local Pagan shop, what a great place to meet some people, but there is nothing in these parts.  Manchester has one but it's very small and I make the hour plus ride and they don't always have what I need.  Where is your  shop moving?

Quote:

I really want to get him started doing something like martial arts, but it's bloody hard with the odd schedule work causes.  What's really sad to me is that he doesn't really seem to GET the way things are :( 

:( Cari, maybe it's better he doesn't realize things are at odds?  Lets him be him and you and the staff can maybe get a plan together to help him out?  Kind of ease things in the right direction?  I hope it all work out, what ever is best for  your little guy:)

#87 of 164 Old 06-14-2011, 09:04 AM

The shop is moving from Milford, MA to Bellingham. South Bellingham, no less, practically in Woonsocket, RI, which makes it about a 35 minute ride for us.  I've been to that shop in Manchester, I believe....Myths and Maidens? Cute, but yeah, I can see it not having everything one would need.

i haven't heard about what happened in the car crash, other than it made it very tricky for DH's boss to get to the memorial service on time. We'll see when DH hopefully talks to him today.

#88 of 164 Old 06-14-2011, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by witchygrrl View PostFor the love of the gods, can one school please just hire my DH?!? And keep him?

Oh man, witchy. I'm so sorry hug2.gif What a pain.

How's dd and Owly? smile.gif

What are you doing for fireworks? M found out that his work buddy has keys to the shop, so we're probably going up in there on the 7th floor to get a prime view. I would rather hear the orchestra play the 1812 overture, and sit on blankets, but M says a thousand people show up and we'd have to walk miles and miles cause there's no parking greensad.gif Well, it won't be comfortable, but at least I get to see the inside of where he works.

Wouldn't that be so cool if your DH got his boss's job?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CariOfOz View Postbut otherwise a cruisy day ... did the floors, need to do the dishwasher and fold some laundry to at least pretend I'm productive hehehe

I so hear that...I'm being totally slack today. All I've managed to do is put a roast in the crock pot bag.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by redveg View PostI remember my DS doing the same thing.  It only happened a few times and he was an emotional wreck about it.  It was right before or after we moved and at first I thought it was caused by the stress involved with that, I think it was puberty though?  Having a whet dream (not sure of spelling) and then wetting the bed on top of it?  After a few talks about how it's normal and he wasn't odd seemed to help and it stopped.  So my guess would be one of those?

He's in early puberty, I'm pretty sure. And M told me that bedwetting can increase just prior to first wet dream (yes it's spelled "WET" because that's what it is-- wet, ew, lol). He wasn't an emotional wreck, though. He seemed not to care at all. Well, maybe that was his way of being an emotional wreck eyesroll.gif but he needs not to be snarky. I will have to have a talk with him about letting his true feelings out and not hiding them behind anger. That's too much of a man-thing in this country, and I have not raised him not to cry.

I read somewhere, the same day I posted, that "change" can be as simple as summer bedtime compared to school bedtime. He did just get out of school on Friday. And 2 out of 10 kids his age regularly wet the bed, so I don't feel too bad.

He's being awesome today thumb.gif He gave me reiki (well, child-reiki winky.gif)AND a back rub!

#89 of 164 Old 06-14-2011, 09:43 AM

Hi everyone... I haven't done this in months but oops didn't think of subbing until now.  

Between the rain & the politics, I just want Little League done with.  But we have a couple more weeks.  Hoping for more sunny days and more sunny dispositions.  

I will read through the thread and do a more specific post later.

Hope everyone is well.

My family of 3 (plus pup) Indigo (Aimee), Rob (dp), Ryne (ds) & Phebe (dog), plus my BIL's family of 3.

"The best way to predict the future is to invent it." - Alan Kay

#90 of 164 Old 06-14-2011, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter

Maia- hmmm... we do have waterproof blanket things we use under the newborn/me for the first few months.  Maybe I can find something bigger... we already have the mattress wrapped (DH has wicked allergies) but it's not a waterproof wrap (neither of us can sleep with the subtle "crinkle crinkle" sound lol).  I suppose I could wrap the mattress, then put the rubberbacked flannel on top, then the sheets... but since it's not a regular event I don't know if I'm up to all that layering! 

For the snark and older wetting... could it be allergy related?  I'm not a fan of the feingold diet but I have many friends who swear it's helped their spectrum kiddos with emotional stuff.  And when dd1 gets glutened she not only has the physical response, she turns into a pretty darn nasty little girl.  I don't know if it's "just" that her stomach hurts and her skin itches and she's just miserable or if there is a legitimately seperate emotional/behavioral componant too but it happens consistantly enough that I can sometimes tell by her mood if she has gotten something gluten-y to eat at a playdate.  Can you keep a really simple "snark journal" or something?  One of those tiny day planner calendars from the dollar store with just quick notes?  Maybe it's something environmental?

Hang in there!  And yay for learning that he can do his own sheets. 

CAMP- I must have missed the conversation (not too surprising given my brain, she doth spin like unto a little top).  LOL  If no one else is interested, I'll run a mini-camp during the month of July.  Four weeks, nothing fancy.  If you want to lead or co-lead a week, just send me a PM.  Also PM me with any ideas for topics of interest.  I remember someone asking for things that would integrate kiddos more, someone else mentioned colors and there was some mention of table/meal blessings?, and I want to do something with pagan holy books/texts/written traditions or maybe something kind of like "pimp my altar" with ideas for nature tables/earth altars/daily nothing fancy altars..., but send me any ideas even if you don't want to host that topic yourself.  :)  I figure I can manage a quickie post a day in a camp thread, though not anything fancy-schmancy.

Just got home from my GTT blood draw.  The whole process took all morning (left the house at 8am, got back at noon) and was a pain all round.  Though the kiddos did their best to be "good" at the hospital lab it was still rough.  And I was so totally woozy from the fasting and then sugar bomb.  Not to mention the stupid lab rules about not moving around during the test (even though many doctors, like dr sears, suggest moving around as a way to help metabolize the sugar).  DH was a huge help in keeping the kiddos busy but with the 45 minute drive there, the hour wait for the lab so I could drink the glucola, the hour wait, then the 45 minute drive home....ugh.  If I "fail" and need to take the 3 hour test I'll scream.  (Unfortunately, providers around here require the GTT for all vbac moms, it's not something I can opt out of.)

And in honor of sugar and storms and things that go boogie woogie (from A Cup of Tea, by that great artist Anonymous):

Quote:
When the world is all at odds
And the mind is all at sea
Then cease the useless tedium
And brew a cup of tea.

There is magic in its fragrance,
There is solace in its taste;
And the laden moments vanish
Somehow into space.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page