~~Joyfully Pagan in June~~ - Page 5 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#121 of 164 Old 06-20-2011, 10:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiasaura View Post

Quote:Originally Posted by Wolfcat View PostAnd Maiasaura, I think the family ritual stuff would be an awesome show/blog/article, or whatever... I may have to steal the concept.

Uh-oh...what did I say? redface.giflol.gif

Quote:

Thinking, thinking....about Pagan memorization things. Hmm...Well, of course there's the Charges each of the Goddess and God. And if you have any particular family ways to call the quarters or whatever, you can include those. And meal/nighttime blessings. Maybe if there are parts of things like Mists of Avalon that appeal to you ("all Gods are one God, and all Goddesses are one Goddess"?) or...I don't know. The Rede? I'll have to keep thinking. I think Pagans have more concepts than verses, though, I think. Then, there are correspondences, like what colors and stones and plants and whatnot, go with which direction.

Check out my business, Pangaia Metaphysical Store, and radio blog, Pagan Musings.
I'm a witchy mama to DS ('06) and DD ('10) with DH, Stormie, a heathen homemaker daddy.

#122 of 164 Old 06-21-2011, 05:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Happy Solstice (or Litha, if you prefer)!

Hope everyone has a wonderful day, filled with smiles and promises fulfilled.  :)  Dream sweet and true!

Quote:

Over hill, over dale,
Thorough bush, thorough brier,
Over park, over pale,
Thorough flood, thorough fire,
I do wander everywhere,
Swifter than the moon's sphere;

And I serve the fairy queen,
To dew her orbs upon the green.

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#123 of 164 Old 06-21-2011, 05:50 AM

I've been reading a few other forums at MDC just looking at topics that peek my interest. Sadly, people are getting into cat fights. Breaks my heart. I guess I will have to jump in on the moderator debate. In other news, the midwife appointment went well and baby has heart accels when he/she moves (which is great).

Happy Summer Solstice everyone! We have a beautiful sunny day here and my intention is to spend a good portion outside. Hopefully I can find a few moments for reflection on the turning wheel of the year. What is everyone doing?

Maia - your travels sound awesome! The laundry, well that's not as fun lol

Nicole: mama to DD and DS, childbirth educator and doula. Dancing the spiral dance of life bellycast.gif

#124 of 164 Old 06-21-2011, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfcat View Post

Quote:

Quote:Originally Posted by Wolfcat View PostAnd Maiasaura, I think the family ritual stuff would be an awesome show/blog/article, or whatever... I may have to steal the concept.

Uh-oh...what did I say? redface.giflol.gif

Quote:

Thinking, thinking....about Pagan memorization things. Hmm...Well, of course there's the Charges each of the Goddess and God. And if you have any particular family ways to call the quarters or whatever, you can include those. And meal/nighttime blessings. Maybe if there are parts of things like Mists of Avalon that appeal to you ("all Gods are one God, and all Goddesses are one Goddess"?) or...I don't know. The Rede? I'll have to keep thinking. I think Pagans have more concepts than verses, though, I think. Then, there are correspondences, like what colors and stones and plants and whatnot, go with which direction.

OK, Wolfcat, you've got me scratching my head now for sure! Why did you quote me twice but not post? headscratch.gif Did you mean to reply but just forgot? lol.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by singin_angel View Post

I've been reading a few other forums at MDC just looking at topics that peek my interest. Sadly, people are getting into cat fights. Breaks my heart. I guess I will have to jump in on the moderator debate. In other news, the midwife appointment went well and baby has heart accels when he/she moves (which is great).

Happy Summer Solstice everyone! We have a beautiful sunny day here and my intention is to spend a good portion outside. Hopefully I can find a few moments for reflection on the turning wheel of the year. What is everyone doing?

Maia - your travels sound awesome! The laundry, well that's not as fun lol

Yeah, the snark factor really has upped, hasn't it? It is sad, true.

Happy Solstice everyone! coolshine.gif We are doing nothing, and are getting rather good at it lol.gif DS is making paper guns with instructions off of YouTube, I am trying to get off of here and go do something, but both of us are being slackers. And spending the day in the A/C because, while sunny, it's like 90* out there hide.gif

Called a new realtor today. Cross fingers, mamas! The one I wanted is-- get this-- too slammed to take me on (plus her specialty is two towns over) so she's sending me her associate, who works more in my town. And she told me that business is UP!!! Homes are selling! They are too busy to deal with it, almost, they said! joy.gif So, I am going to take a disbursement from my IRA and get this house fixed up. Not a whole lot of money but just enough to make it look nicer. I can do it in such a way that they take the taxes out ahead of time, so I don't have to worry about it come tax time thumb.gif

12days12days12days12days....M keeps going "Are you here yet? Are you here yet? I think I will go sit at Logan and wait..." luxlove.gif energy.gif

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

#125 of 164 Old 06-21-2011, 10:58 AM

Happy solstice! Been gone a while but thought I'd jump back in. Trying to think of how to salvage the day, with a miserable 1 1/2 year old. He has a cough. He's teething. He's heat sensitive, and it's hot. I lost it with my four year old earlier today for not listening while the baby was having a fit. We had planned to go to the beach, but now I lack the patience for it. It's days like this where I wish we had a backyard and just being outside was easy!

Partner to Rbikenew.gif ('03); Parent to T read.gif('07), Aviolin.gif ('10), and E ecbaby2.gif ('13)

femalesling.GIFhomeschool.gifchicken3.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif 

#126 of 164 Old 06-21-2011, 06:30 PM

Happy Solstice!! 

what a gorgeous day it was here.  Z was with her gparents so after my dr's appt, errands, running around the house I took some time to sit in the bright sunshine and enjoy it for a little bit before going to scoop her up.  That definitely filled me with some real joy! 

I made some sun catchers with Z when she got home with contact paper and ripped up bits of tissue paper.  She got a kick out of it as I loaded the paper up in my hands and blew it on to the circles.  Then we used some of the left over paper as confetti but her favorite part was making a giant ball out of it (there was some rolled masking tape involved and that help to really stick it all together).  She carried it around for about 2 hours until it finally disintegrated in the wading pool.  haha.  It was a good day, I'd say. 

peace.gif Mama and tiphat.gif Daddy (6/04) and energy.gifZ (5/10) make 3!  heartbeat.gif

#127 of 164 Old 06-22-2011, 12:53 AM

Quote:

Called a new realtor today. Cross fingers, mamas! The one I wanted is-- get this-- too slammed to take me on (plus her specialty is two towns over) so she's sending me her associate, who works more in my town. And she told me that business is UP!!! Homes are selling! They are too busy to deal with it, almost, they said! joy.gif So, I am going to take a disbursement from my IRA and get this house fixed up. Not a whole lot of money but just enough to make it look nicer. I can do it in such a way that they take the taxes out ahead of time, so I don't have to worry about it come tax time thumb.gif

12days12days12days12days....M keeps going "Are you here yet? Are you here yet? I think I will go sit at Logan and wait..." luxlove.gifenergy.gif

This is good news!!  I hope she can make some real estate magic for ya!  Teeheehee at M lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View Post

We're having a headwound harry sort of day here... so far every single kiddo has had an accident.  DS went head first into a chair and slipped on a jumprope with spectacular bumping.  DD1 tripped several times on her own feet, eventually falling over and smacking her head on the piano and her knee on a wooden chest.  And dd2 caught a swing with her face and has bruises all across her (swollen) nose.  Since we're not even to lunch, and since this afternoon involves heavy construction and visits to stores filled with sharp objects and concrete floors I'm worried!  And I think I pulled a muscle... I was in the bathroom when dd2 shouted "Tor has the chainsaw and dada's on the roof!" while I was, um, mid stream.  I got to the back door and no, Tor did not have the chainsaw (though DH was on the roof).  ARGH!!!!!!!!

OMG!!!! I remember Massive Headwound Harry LMAO .... best SNL skit EVER!  It sounds like you really have had battles today lady!     very glad he did NOT have the chainsaw lol.

My day was a bit nervy... had Lucas's paediatric appt today.  After taking a LONG history and talking with us both, he is talking add as opposed to asd.  I think that he still has traits of asd, but it's mild enough that I think the hyperactive/distractible/impulsive end of things is the most urgent.  We go back in a few weeks... I like the doc and he seems to genuinely want to help Lucas be able to have a smoother time in school (and in general).. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by redveg View Post

Morning:)  The first day of summer vacation here:)  I love summer vacation.  Plus this is the last one my kids get to be just kids, next year they will be getting ready for college.  Today we are just taking it easy sleeping in a bit, well they are,and just hanging out:) I hope everyone has a great day.

Quote:

13 days till I see M! luxlove.gif joy.gif

We've had a lot of rain in the last couple days. We needed it really badly, but it was dubious whether or not I'd get to air out and waterproof the tent before we left for camping! Got to do it today ~wipes brow~ whew! I think I'm close to being packed. And I splurged on a car charger for my cell phone, in case I can't charge it there; at least I'll be able to run it off the car. There's supposed to be cell service there. No way I can go 4 days without talking to M! We can't even make it four hours without talking to one another Sheepish.gif

So I think I have most of the food ready that we're bringing, and all the clothes packed except socks and underwear (we don't have enough to pack AND wear between now and then). Soon as we get back, we have 5 days to unpack, wash stuff, and repack for the next adventures! I'm so excited.

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
#128 of 164 Old 06-22-2011, 06:35 AM

Oops.  Because I'm on fb all the time, I tend to forget to check in here.

My son has been showing interest in learning about paganism.  He wants to learn the Wheel of the Year and what kind of things real witches do.

I have a feeling his interest is from watching Charmed.  bag.gif

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

#129 of 164 Old 06-22-2011, 07:44 AM - Thread Starter

Maia- YAY!  That's great news about the housing market!  Finger's crossed your home goes so fast you don't even have time to worry!  :)  As for the head scratching double quote thing... I think the duoble quotes ARE the answer... you asked what cool and awesome family practice thing she was thanking you for, and she quoted the post in which you made the cool and awesome suggestions.  :)

Cari- Yup, could have been much much worse.  A two year old whirlwind with a chainsaw is NOT a good idea.  Honestly, they sell toy chainsaws (the "blade" moves and it makes noise) and I can't think of a worse toy.  I know, I know, there are toy guns and stuff, but people tend to be up on sending the whole "this is a toy, don't touch the real thing" message.  But we have two chainsaws, many many power tools, table saws, other cutting tools, etc and they're not secured/out of reach/disassembled the way a realy gun ought to be... so the thought of a toy version?  Ack! 

today- I overdid the solstice activities yesterday... a little too much in and out of the car, and then some yard work.  We have company coming tomorrow and the to-do list is long but I guess I shouldn't have tried to get so much done.  It was a long night and this morning I felt like I'd been beaten with sticks from my lower back down.  Then Tor had a massive meltdown.  Then dd1 tripped and spilled a mug of "fresh from the pot scalding hot" tea down my leg.  I got out of my clothes and into a cool shower at light speed, which totally wrecked my pelvis and muscles which were already complaining.  I think everything is under control and back on track but oh my gods and goddesses... one of you MUST owe me some quiet time.  Yes?  Please?

LOL

I have to see what I can manage to get done today.  DH keeps telling me to take it easy, and while that is wonderful advice that I would love to take... it's not like I have an assistant, butler, cook, or maid.  If I don't do something then it just doesn't get done.  Dh works long days and our evenings are already pretty tight.  Then on weekends his to-do list is huge and, thanks to the whole domino affect, nearly impossible to complete. With three kiddos home all day there are some things that just HAVE to be done in a daily/timely manner and, well, I'm the one who has to do them.  Ah well, it'll all work out today.  I know it!

And in that vein, a serving of Happiness by Raymond Carver:

Quote:
They come on, slowly.
The sky is taking on light,
though the moon still hangs pale over the water.

Such beauty that for a minute
death and ambition, even love,
doesn't enter into this.

Happiness. It comes on
unexpectedly. And goes beyond, really,
any early morning talk about it.

mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#130 of 164 Old 06-22-2011, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CariOfOz View PostAfter taking a LONG history and talking with us both, he is talking add as opposed to asd.  I think that he still has traits of asd, but it's mild enough that I think the hyperactive/distractible/impulsive end of things is the most urgent.  We go back in a few weeks... I like the doc and he seems to genuinely want to help Lucas be able to have a smoother time in school (and in general).. :)

Hang in there, Cari. If you need commiseration on an ADHD kid, please do feel free to PM me. As you know, I have LOTS of experience!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaughterOfKali View PostI have a feeling his interest is from watching Charmed.  bag.gif

Hey, whatever works. I had to spend lots of time differentiating between real Witches and TV/movie witches with ds. Especially with the Harry Potter series. Boy, we still both want that to be real, though redface.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View PostMaia- YAY!  That's great news about the housing market!  Finger's crossed your home goes so fast you don't even have time to worry!  :)  As for the head scratching double quote thing... I think the duoble quotes ARE the answer... you asked what cool and awesome family practice thing she was thanking you for, and she quoted the post in which you made the cool and awesome suggestions.  :)

But we have two chainsaws, many many power tools, table saws, other cutting tools, etc and they're not secured/out of reach/disassembled the way a realy gun ought to be... so the thought of a toy version?  Ack! 

but oh my gods and goddesses... one of you MUST owe me some quiet time.  Yes?  Please?

DH keeps telling me to take it easy, and while that is wonderful advice that I would love to take... it's not like I have an assistant, butler, cook, or maid.  If I don't do something then it just doesn't get done. 

Yeah, YAY, huh? I'm hopeful, this time. I took a disbursement out of my IRA that my dad left me, and I'm going to haul ass and get this house fixed up. The house itself is fine, really, but the yard looks like a jungle. I'm going to hire someone to come clean it up, and get some mulch down, and pretty it up. And maybe hire someone that has a good eye to come in here and help me organize/clean my house up. I'm so grateful that I have that resource to draw on. Thank you, Daddy heartbeat.gif

Toy tools-- my DS was way, way smart enough to know the difference between toy ones and real ones, and for some things the toy would just not cut it. In your situation, he'd have ditched the toy for the real one post-haste. Not knowing that the real one could hurt him permanently, or worse. Yeah-- in that case, I'd not get him the toy one.

Clay-- here's the rub: in order to get quiet time, you have to TAKE your dh up on it! You can't keep asking for it and then not take it when offered! Yeah, I know you got way more on your plate than most people, and yeah, there are daily stuff to keep up with-- but it'll all be there when you get done. Go take an hour. Srsly. You need it.

I was confoozled about Wolfcat's post because she quoted the stuff I suggested for you, for memorization. I know I've posted lots of suggestions in the past for kids' Paganism and stuff, but I didn't recall any of that recently smile.gif

Solstice camping tomorrow-- the first time I put my house up for sale, and did that massive declutter, I expected my house to sell. I got rid of ALL my camping gear, just about. Now I only have enough that it all fits in the car. We'll get by fine, but I wish right now that I had my EZup and my camp table.

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

#131 of 164 Old 06-22-2011, 11:35 AM

Quote:

Clay-- here's the rub: in order to get quiet time, you have to TAKE your dh up on it! You can't keep asking for it and then not take it when offered! Yeah, I know you got way more on your plate than most people, and yeah, there are daily stuff to keep up with-- but it'll all be there when you get done. Go take an hour. Srsly. You need it.

I have to say I completely agree with Maia.  I know that list can get so long and I know that it's hard to sit down and be when there is all this stuff going around in my head.  But I also know when classes are in full swing, and I am work 40 - 50 hours in an understaffed office, I need to go to knitting group or hang out with my writer friends or have coffee with a gal pal.  Otherwise I am going to just make myself sick with stress and exhaustion.  I think I put this up as a daily quote on FB in the last couple of weeks.

“If you aren’t nurturing your self, what kind of mother can you be, anyway? ” - Sandra Scofield

Hugs!!

My family of 3 (plus pup) Indigo (Aimee), Rob (dp), Ryne (ds) & Phebe (dog), plus my BIL's family of 3.

"The best way to predict the future is to invent it." - Alan Kay

#132 of 164 Old 06-22-2011, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CariOfOz View Post
 I like the doc and he seems to genuinely want to help Lucas be able to have a smoother time in school (and in general).. :)

Being able to trust your doctor is half the battle, no?  At least you get the feeling that he seems genuinely interested in helping your son. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigo73 View Post

I have to say I completely agree with Maia.  I know that list can get so long and I know that it's hard to sit down and be when there is all this stuff going around in my head.  But I also know when classes are in full swing, and I am work 40 - 50 hours in an understaffed office, I need to go to knitting group or hang out with my writer friends or have coffee with a gal pal.  Otherwise I am going to just make myself sick with stress and exhaustion.  I think I put this up as a daily quote on FB in the last couple of weeks.

“If you aren’t nurturing your self, what kind of mother can you be, anyway? ” - Sandra Scofield

Hugs!!

Triple agreement here and love the quote - so so so true. 

peace.gif Mama and tiphat.gif Daddy (6/04) and energy.gifZ (5/10) make 3!  heartbeat.gif

#133 of 164 Old 06-22-2011, 07:37 PM

Just popping in, Ladies, before my in-laws come this weekend. Gods help me, this will be a BUSY weekend. But DD starts camp next week along with DH!

Also, Christopher Penczak is rescheduled to come to my friend's shop on July 7th. I'm signing up again...for the 3rd time. Let's hope this works out!

Hugs and fingers crossed for those folks who need them!

Come ponder with me about food!
#134 of 164 Old 06-23-2011, 03:47 AM

treehugger.gif

Valérie   
#135 of 164 Old 06-23-2011, 06:01 AM

Popping in myownself to say HI HI HI before we go camping. We leave in a little while. It's only 2+ hours away. It's raining right now greensad.gif so I'm glad I got the car packed yesterday! I hope it's not raining when we get there. I hate setting up in the rain.

Anyway, see y'all Sunday sometime! Have a great weekend and happy Solstice! love.gif

ETA: Oh yeah-- I found a car charger online for my earpiece (for the phone) for only $2.99!!! And free shipping! How cool is that! It was the very last second of a 90% off sale. Yay me! I won't have it for this trip, but it's a good thing to have!

#136 of 164 Old 06-23-2011, 09:57 AM

The heat is killing me today! It is definately playing with my patience. DD is being her usual self and not wanting to play with others and asking me the same question a million times. Usually I can deal, today I feel like I am going to crack. Thankfully she is taking a nap now and I am going to try and cool off and put myself back together.

I have sent out a few emails for work stuff so I hope those pan out beautifully and help me connect with more women. That would be awesome. Tonight I have a doula meeting which should be controversial (and likely interesting). It will be in a bookstore and we are getting 50% off...I hope I don't go crazy!

I'm wishing over the last few days that I could connect with more pagans in real life. I want to participate in ritual together. Sadly, my previous teachers run one of the pub moots so there is probably no point. All she wants to do now is sell her book to people and that doesn't work for me. I'll have to keep my thinking cap on.

Maia - safe trip and I hope you can feel super connected to the Goddess out there while you are camping...you get to see her in all her beauty (rain or shine). I agree, I don't like setting up in the rain, but I really don't like taking the site down in the rain!

Valerie - hi! Hope you are well!

Nicole: mama to DD and DS, childbirth educator and doula. Dancing the spiral dance of life bellycast.gif

#137 of 164 Old 06-24-2011, 06:35 AM

Hi there. smile.gif

joy.gif

I know there are some Christo-Pagans around periodically. I know, I know, they're controversial sometimes, but I know they exist. wink1.gif

My question is, does anyone know of any Islamic-Pagans around here?

coolshine.gif
#138 of 164 Old 06-24-2011, 07:34 AM - Thread Starter

queit time/personal time- The thing, when DH says "take it easy" he isn't offering anything in particular.  He just means "don't do the dishes" or "don't do the laundry" if you're too tired.  It doesn't mean HE will wash the dishes or do the laundry, just that I'll have double the dishes/laundry to do later.  He WANTS to do them for me, and will even offer to, say, wash the dishes.  I'll say ok, he'll send me off to bed, and when I come downstairs in the morning the dirty dishes are still there... he'll apologize, order me not to touch them, that he'll get to them, and then be out the door to work with those dishes still sitting in the sink.  Wash, risne, repeat.  LOL  I once decided to do a little experiment with the toilet paper rolls... you know, just see how long it would take before DH would put a new roll of TP on the roller rather than leave the new roll sitting on the windowsill next to the roller?  I finally broke down when there were FIVE empty TP rolls sitting on the windowsill next to the now ancient and dusty empty roll still "living" on the roller.  When I showed him the window he was actually dazed... he just hadn't noticed!

Most recently my blood titers showed that I'm not currently "immune" to toxo so it's important that I avoid the whole "cat poo" thing.  DH swore he'd clean the cat box during the pregnancy.  I think he's done it 5 or 6 times, after being reminded, but that's it (I try to scoop the box every day, and I'm 29 weeks along to give some perspective).

So yeah... I have to "make" personal time for myself.  But I'm not sure where to start or how to go about it in a way that.  During the day I have the kids and the various chores, then DH gets home and we have dinner and the kiddos go through their bed/bath routine, then once they're in bed I need to do my work-from-home job (2-3 hours/night).  Dh makes sure I have time to shower, and then he makes me a mug of tea and brings me a snack while I work.  Some nights I don't have work projects though, and that's kind of nice.  Then on weekends he tries to take the kids for a while so I can have a break, but it doesn't always work out and, well, the choice comes down to things like "DH can take the kids for an hour so I can nap OR he can spend that hour fixing the wiring so the outlets in the kitchen work which will make my life in general easier".  So then when I take that nap and spend the next week swearing because the outlets don't work and I have to run extension cords everywhere and convince the kiddos not to unplug them, or trip on them, or use them as jump ropes while keeping the rabbit from chewing through the cords and zapping herself... it just doesn't balance out.  LOL

Poo... I don't mean to whine!  I know that DH wants me to take it easy, and I know specific ways that he could help in the pursuit of that goal, but I also know from years of experience that it wont happen.  He is a fantastic, talented, loving, devoted husband and amazing father.  He hates the impact his ADD and depression disorder has on the family.  And it's a source of ongoing frustration for us both.  But for now I just need to find a way to take it easy/get me time that I can do "at the same time" as everything else.  I have been putting on more dvds for the kids, and they've been getting more treats (like eating dinner on the living room floor with a movie instead of sitting at the table so that /I/ can eat at the table without interruption), but I think I just need to conjure up a friendly genie or two!  Possibly one who enjoys housework and another who likes to play games with kiddos?

Speaking of... I was reading a book the other day in which one character uses her mage ability to make a decent amount of money as a laundry-woman.  LOL  She has a knack for cleaning charms so she basically charms the clothes clean during a quick wash, then charms them dry.  It sounded like a brilliant idea to me and made me wonder why there aren't more mages employed in similar get-rich-quick schemes.  It's all slay a dragon this or find the bespelled sword that or even overthrow the evil government before lunch.  Never something handy like "does windows" or "get that imp's blood out of the hearth rug in a jiffy!".  :)  Hmmm... anyone else read the short story about the Frying Pan of Doom?  The mage was trying to make the ultimate weapon, his wife walked in at the wrong moment, and the spell stuck to her frying pan.  To get rid of the thing the kingdom held a tourney with bake-off.  It's a pretty fun little story. 

We might be going here tomorrow... some friends are going and it might be fun.  On the other hand, there is a storm warning and flash flood warning for that region and I'm not sure about that.  Some of the reported storms are dropping 3 inches of rain/hour and that's a lot less fun.  (and on the 'time for me" theme, the other family can't take our kiddos without Dh or I in part because none of us have a car that can hold 7 car seats and in part because we both have kiddos with special needs who will need personal attention at a fair... and DH doesn't want to go alone because dd2 gives him a much harder time than she does me and ds has entered a phase of hard core "need both parents".  But it's ok, it looks like it would be fun)

And in even more fun news, DH got a raise!  Ok, so it's not as much as I think he deserves (it's the annual raise, but he got a bit more as a merit bonus) but it's still wonderful!  I'm feeling very blessed this morning that the washer is working (DH has been up till 1am the past few nights taking the darn thing apart and trying to fix it and now it's FIXED!) and DH has a job and it's a beautiful day.  :)

From June, by Francis Duggan:

Quote:
It's beautiful the Summer month of June
When all of God's own wildflowers are in bloom
And sun shines brightly most part of the day
And butterflies o'er lush green meadows play.

Light hearted skylark songster of the wing
High o'er the quiet and lonely moorland sing
Above her nest cloaked by the tangled heath
Her charming song so exquisitely sweet.

So mellow the gentle breath of june day breeze
The birds rejoicing on the leafy trees
And dappled trout in pool bed of the stream
Bask in the sun their spotted skins agleam.

and in hopes of rain in those regions that need it...Monsoon Magic by Mamta Agarwal

Quote:
My heart is filled with tenderness.
Oh, I love these showers,
Specially in the midnight hours.

I make a cup of tea
And watch the trees,
Sitting by myself in the balcony
Looking lush, raindrops dripping from the leaves

#139 of 164 Old 06-24-2011, 12:33 PM

No computer for me, the lap top was broken for over 5 days and checking threads from my phone was impossible.

How are you?

How was your first day of summer?

Wishing everyone love and light!

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#140 of 164 Old 06-24-2011, 05:03 PM

Clay, the faerie festival is held in my hometown!  I'm actually right over in Binghamton.  smile.gif We might give some thought to attending on Sunday - you're right, Saturday is looking very showery and it's been pretty wet and muddy.  Which was very fun for our hike today.  Call me crazy, I love mud.  Mud on my toes is delightful for me. 

You mamas who camp/have camped with wee ones - what works for you?  Any advice for a mama trying it out for the first time in mid-July?  My hubs is the VERY cautious and wary about every "first" we do with Z - which is great because he is prepared for the worst but it's also a little bit paralyzing for us right now.  We barely travel or camp and we did both A LOT before Z.  Not like we were world travelers or anything but a weekend trip here and there... so i THINK i've talked him into an overnight in the ADKs (2 nights total, the first in a motel) next to our family's cabin.  A miniature step but a step nonetheless.  I read about you brave mamas camping with your itsy bitsys and I just know you must have some secrets!! winky.gif

#141 of 164 Old 06-25-2011, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seawitch View Post

Hi there. smile.gif

joy.gif

I know there are some Christo-Pagans around periodically. I know, I know, they're controversial sometimes, but I know they exist. wink1.gif

My question is, does anyone know of any Islamic-Pagans around here?

No idea seawitch?   We're Pagans... so we're pretty used to controversy hehehe... if they are lurking about i'm sure they'd be welcomed here treehugger.gif  

Thought I'd pop in and say hi,  I'm a little unwell (I have a UTI) and it's my work weekend as well UGH! lol   and then our net went down for about a day or a little more.  Terribly convenient, NOT!

Much love mamas, I'll try to have a read & catch up tomorrow after work :)

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
#142 of 164 Old 06-25-2011, 07:36 AM

Huh. Well, I'm Islamic-influenced Pagan. How's that for a weird combo? smile.gif

I follow the wheel of the year and believe in the spirit world, but at the same time I'm monotheistic and read the Koran for my spiritual inspiration. And I cover, and fast, which both seem to fit into either religion. smile.gif

*wave*

coolshine.gif
#143 of 164 Old 06-25-2011, 12:18 PM

hi ladies! Just hanging in here. it has been a whole month since i came to seee you lovely ladies. i think i needed a break. but only to remind me why i need you! the last month was horrible. i got all depressed about our edsdiagnosesis and how their was no cure that i ate way too much stuff that wawsw not fructose free and got worse. to top it all off I didnt have you lovely ladies to remind me to speak nicely to my family even though we are all in pain that my household's attitude went down hill. i ended up yelling nasty things at my kids and dissolving in a pit of tears for a week. i mean, i usually have ups and downs with energy and mood, but the last month was the worst it has been in years. but i am working my way up again. started physical therapy and going back to going to the y more regularly, and working on thinking positive. i am reading the book "a complaint free world". i am digging it. every time i read it, it makes me feel warm inside and i treat every body nice that day. i think i just need to keep reading books like that every day to help me stay on track. they say that the more you think about something the more you notice it. so i dont want ot think about how i am disabled anymore, i just want to think about all the blessings i have. :) so here i am again! because you ladies are a blessing to me too. you might not see my post too much but i am definitely reading it all again!

Me,DH,DS1'95, '98,DSD'03,DD1'07,DD2'09,DS2'12 Living with Fructose Malabsorption Syndrome and Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome Type 3-Hypermobility.)o( and sometimes I get toif I am lucky.
#144 of 164 Old 06-25-2011, 03:00 PM

Clay- I hear ya on hubbies offering to do stuff and then forgetting to do it. ADD is tough, it really takes a toll on our marriage, since it affects every area. My dh and I just had a go of it, and he feels bad but sadly, not much will change. I don't know how to explain it, I mean it is a disability, and i know dh isn't choosing to forget things and stuff, but in some ways I feel like he isn't seeking help from anyone but me on how to better organize himself, or keep on task while at home and I wish he would get more ideas, and help on how to do this stuff. It hurts me cause it feels like he is ignoring my needs and the things he has agreed to do. Bleck. Enough of my whining about that. If nothing else, we can support each other.

I need to finish Wee Free Men tonight and soak in a nice tub. I meet have a bit of ice cream too. Self care is so important.

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#145 of 164 Old 06-25-2011, 06:18 PM

Add me to the mix of those with DHs with ADD, I can completely sympathize. I am the only one who does any of the paperwork around the house. honestly, even beyond the money issue, him not having a full time job just makes his ADD worse. He needs a very structured day, preferably starting with some ginko biloba. beyond employed part-time is no good for him, so I'm so glad summer camp starts Monday for him.

Now the question is, how am I going to cope these next two workweeks without either my DH or DD around?

Hi LM!! glad to see you back. Hugs if you want them!

#146 of 164 Old 06-26-2011, 05:59 AM - Thread Starter

((hugs)) Lioness.  You've been through such a hard season, and while I know that your family has too and that yelling doesn't make anything better, it happens.  I'm glad you've found a book that resonates with you and are finding a path through the anger.  Maybe a family meeting sort of thing to let everyone know that you're going to be "extra dragon mama" for a while and why so no one takes it personally?  I sat the girls down last week and did something like that because I've been so short tempered recently.  I don't know if it really helps them, but it gave me something I could remind them of ("remember when we talked about how mama doesn't have a lot of energy right now? and how we can all work together?" yada yada yada)... I still end up yelling more than I should, but sometimes when I do THEY remind ME of the talk.  :)

NY Faerie Festival- we did go and despite the mud it was fun.  The kids had a great time (it's very child/family focused).  I put up some pics here, and I think it was a pretty good outing for under 40 dollars total.  I ended up waaaaaay out of breath from the walking and my ankles/feet were so swollen I nearly cried and I'm still swollen and achy today so it's clear I overdid it a bit.  I hate getting muddy and the site was really messy (lots of rain showers and the site is sandwiched between a high hill/cliff face and a river/stream in a forested area so there's no hope that it would dry out quickly) and then Torin wanted to be carried... AFTER he'd had fun stomping in puddles and frolicking in mud.  LOL  So I think that was my one big down side to the outing... I was tired, and swollen, and muddy!  But it was still nice, and it reminded me of the way Ren Faires were 20+ years ago (smaller, affordable, fun, a bit slap dash) and in fact the jousting and sword demos at the festival were done by the company that also performs at the local Ren Faire (where our family would have paid 75+ dollars just to get in the gate!).

Oh, and there was a little stand at the festival that was doing faerie inspired treasure maps!  Well, vision boards I suppose, but still.  They called them treasure maps and they were selling all sorts of faerie related stuff to go on maps.  Including the most recent edition of Faerie Magazine that has an article on treaure mapping and a page of "words" (in really lovely fonts) that would go well on a map.  I might have to make a vision board for the summer.  :)

ADD in partners- it's tough.  And it's something that parents with children who have been diagnosed with ADD need to think about at some point.  I wish someone had set my DH down when he was in his teens and offered to sort of "mentor" him in how to be a functioning/engaged/productive/social/happy adult with ADD.  It can be a real juggling act, and while medication and therapy and whatnot do help (it's really easy to tell which days DH takes his meds and which days he doesn't, and he doesn't take them every day so he can stay on lower doses for longer) it's not a magic wand or silver bullet.  It's HARD to have a child with ADD, hard to help them navigate their world and find solutions to difficulties and get the help they need, but I think sometimes all the help books and therapists forget that at some point all those kids are going to leave home and be not just on their own, but building lives with other people who may not have experience in ADD (a partner or roommate who wants to know why every bottle of milk has been opened but not finished, why only half the yard is mowed) or may not care that that person has ADD (a boss who wants an employee who can produce to deadline, a landlord who wants rent by the first of the month).  Obviously there are lots of therapists out there who can work with adults, but I just wish there was a more accepted/commonly available buddy system of sorts.  Kind of like drivers ed or something... so that young kiddos can grow into teens and then into adults with examples and guidance designed more towards helping them function in an adult world and less on getting them to stay at their school desks.  :(

I KNOW dh means well, and I KNOW he hates the way he behaves, and I also know there isn't a heck of a lot either of us can do about it.  But because it isn't something visible and because I didn't grow up in a community where ADD was a commonly discussed or adapted for condition (but instead in a community where people were expected to suck up and deal with things) it's hard for me to FEEL the reality of what I know.  It's hard to not think that if he just "tried" or just "really wanted to" or just "thought about it" then he'd do whatever it might be.... and that the reason he doesn't is in some way my fault or a reflection on me.  It's not.  And I know it's not.  And he knows it hurts me and the kids and hates it.  He does everything he can (he hates the meds and takes them anyway for example because he is a better father/husband/employee on meds).  And we try new things as we go.  It all works out eventually, but yeah... it can be a tough road sometimes.

On a brighter note, a poem of hope and dreams by Shel Silverstein:

Quote:

If you are a dreamer,come in.

If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar, a hoper, a prayer, a magic-bean-buyer.

If you're a pretender, come sit by my fire,

for we have some flax-golden tales to spin.

Come in! Come in!

Wouldn't that make a great circle invocation?  Or a door charm of sorts?  I fell like I want to print it on a flag and hang it on my home.  :)  Or maybe turn it into a charm bracelet (a charm for each invitation... like a bean or praying hands or crossed fingers or whatever) or milagro board.

#147 of 164 Old 06-26-2011, 06:12 PM

Hi, guys! I'm back! Yay!

Solstice trip: The first couple days were awful. I didn't sleep at all the first night, which really set the tone for the next day and a half. All day Friday I stayed in my tent, trying to catch up on sleep I didn't get on Thursday, but I wasn't able to nap, either. Then Friday night, M got a huge blow, and went and drank some greensad.gif He'd not had a drink since November! I was so upset. The next day, I asked him how he could possibly do such a thing on Lithium, knowing it could kill him, and that's when he told me he hadn't taken the Lithium the day before. Yeah, it comes on that quick-- the urge-- if he doesn't take it for even one day. Ouch. So I was stressed about that.

Saturday was fine, and I was determined to have a good day, which I did. And Saturday night was amazing; they had Three Graces Entertainment which is a belly dance and fire-dance company. Funny to see DS's reaction to the belly dancing-- I was sure it was either oooh-la-la or blech lol.gif Which, ye Gods, it was oooh-la-la. My boy's only 10. He's precocious just like his mama eyesroll.gif I'm so glad he's not a girl. SO glad. My parents must have been having kittens over my boy-crazy behavior and probably let out a huge sigh of relief when I turned 18 and hadn't come home pregnant. Even though I'd never had sex-- you'd never have known it from my behavior.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vydalea View PostYou mamas who camp/have camped with wee ones - what works for you?  Any advice for a mama trying it out for the first time in mid-July?  My hubs is the VERY cautious and wary about every "first" we do with Z - which is great because he is prepared for the worst but it's also a little bit paralyzing for us right now.  We barely travel or camp and we did both A LOT before Z.  Not like we were world travelers or anything but a weekend trip here and there... so i THINK i've talked him into an overnight in the ADKs (2 nights total, the first in a motel) next to our family's cabin.  A miniature step but a step nonetheless.  I read about you brave mamas camping with your itsy bitsys and I just know you must have some secrets!! winky.gif

What exactly is it you want to know? I've been camping with my ds all his life. Since before he was born! By myself, I might add winky.gif

Camping with kids is uber-easy. You don't need toys! That's what Nature is for thumb.gif I'd bring one lovey, if she has one. Use disposables, unless you feel up to washing out cloth while you are camping! How old is she again? Co-sleeping might be a different thing, depending on your usual home arrangement. Make sure you have LOTS of drinking water and sunscreen available. And long sleeves/pants for evenings. Where will you be camping? I mean, what state, what's the weather like in the day/night typically for that area?

Any more questions LMK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CariOfOz View PostI'm a little unwell (I have a UTI) and it's my work weekend as well UGH!

Oh EW, mama. How are you feeling now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by seawitch View PostHuh. Well, I'm Islamic-influenced Pagan. How's that for a weird combo? smile.gif

I follow the wheel of the year and believe in the spirit world, but at the same time I'm monotheistic and read the Koran for my spiritual inspiration. And I cover, and fast, which both seem to fit into either religion. smile.gif

*wave*

Hi! tiphat.gif I don't know about Islamic-influenced Pagans...but I realized this morning that I'm practicing two religions (Wicca and UU) and am strongly interested in a 3rd (Catholicism). How's that for confusing? I'm trying to figure out a way to reconcile them all. How weird is that. Maybe I'll need a new name for whatever-it-is that I come up with lol.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by witchygrrl View PostNow the question is, how am I going to cope these next two workweeks without either my DH or DD around?

I missed it, I think. Where will they be for two weeks? How are ya, by the way? orngbiggrin.gif Was thinking about you today!

Quote:

Originally Posted by wombatclay View PostMaybe a family meeting sort of thing to let everyone know that you're going to be "extra dragon mama" for a while and why so no one takes it personally?  I sat the girls down last week and did something like that because I've been so short tempered recently.  I don't know if it really helps them, but it gave me something I could remind them of ("remember when we talked about how mama doesn't have a lot of energy right now? and how we can all work together?" yada yada yada)... I still end up yelling more than I should, but sometimes when I do THEY remind ME of the talk.  :)

ADD in partners- it's tough.

I just wish there was a more accepted/commonly available buddy system of sorts.  Kind of like drivers ed or something... so that young kiddos can grow into teens and then into adults with examples and guidance designed more towards helping them function in an adult world and less on getting them to stay at their school desks.  :(

I do that a lot with DS. I also try to get him to tell me when he's grumpy, and that it's not nice to take out moods on other people, but sometimes it helps to know ahead of time if someone is grumpy. That way at least the person grumped at can figure out why they got grumped at.

I think it's a good thing that M and DS and I all have ADD-- because we at least understand one another. The hyper component with DS Drives.Me.Up.A.Wall!!! I don't have that. I can not stand hyperness. Who knows why I got given a child that's that extreme hyper...but it's my row to hoe, and somehow I deal with it on a daily basis. But the unfocusedness? Yeah, I get that. The forgetfulness? I just have to laugh. Because I do it, too. It IS exasperating, very much so-- but at least I have a bit of understanding over it. I'm sorry it makes you crazy, Clay hug2.gif ITA about the mentor idea, though. Maybe that's what I'm for, for DS. Thanks for the inspiration loveeyes.gif

6 days, 6 days, 6 days! And M is on vacation. So we have the WHOLE time to be together!!! love.gif

#148 of 164 Old 06-26-2011, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seawitch View Post

Huh. Well, I'm Islamic-influenced Pagan. How's that for a weird combo? smile.gif

*wave*

It's interesting, that's for sure!  But we're pretty open minded here so You'll be very welcome :)  We actually have a few Pagan mum's here that cover too

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionessMom View Post

hi ladies! Just hanging in here. it has been a whole month since i came to seee you lovely ladies. i think i needed a break. but only to remind me why i need you! the last month was horrible. i got all depressed about our edsdiagnosesis and how their was no cure that i ate way too much stuff that wawsw not fructose free and got worse. to top it all off I didnt have you lovely ladies to remind me to speak nicely to my family even though we are all in pain that my household's attitude went down hill. i ended up yelling nasty things at my kids and dissolving in a pit of tears for a week. i mean, i usually have ups and downs with energy and mood, but the last month was the worst it has been in years. but i am working my way up again. started physical therapy and going back to going to the y more regularly, and working on thinking positive. i am reading the book "a complaint free world". i am digging it. every time i read it, it makes me feel warm inside and i treat every body nice that day. i think i just need to keep reading books like that every day to help me stay on track. they say that the more you think about something the more you notice it. so i dont want ot think about how i am disabled anymore, i just want to think about all the blessings i have. :) so here i am again! because you ladies are a blessing to me too. you might not see my post too much but i am definitely reading it all again!

Welcome back :)   It's good to see you and it sounds like you've found a beautiful new perspective in your absence!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeress View Post

Clay- I hear ya on hubbies offering to do stuff and then forgetting to do it. ADD is tough, it really takes a toll on our marriage, since it affects every area. My dh and I just had a go of it, and he feels bad but sadly, not much will change. I don't know how to explain it, I mean it is a disability, and i know dh isn't choosing to forget things and stuff, but in some ways I feel like he isn't seeking help from anyone but me on how to better organize himself, or keep on task while at home and I wish he would get more ideas, and help on how to do this stuff. It hurts me cause it feels like he is ignoring my needs and the things he has agreed to do. Bleck. Enough of my whining about that. If nothing else, we can support each other.

I need to finish Wee Free Men tonight and soak in a nice tub. I meet have a bit of ice cream too. Self care is so important.

We have been living with an ADD child for a long time, only just having put the tentative 'name' to the problems.  I hope that it's possible help him learn better coping mechanisms before he grows up and is an ADD partner lol. 

My boys are off school for the next 2 weeks for winter break,  so when dh gets home just after lunch.. we are off to the park!  

#149 of 164 Old 06-26-2011, 08:26 PM

Quote:

I missed it, I think. Where will they be for two weeks? How are ya, by the way? orngbiggrin.gif Was thinking about you today!

I'm just fine, though I'm suffering from insomnia at the moment. DH and DD will be at camp during the day, and I'll be left alone until they get home for dinner. After about a month of us all being together almost constantly, it's going to be a bit weird. Good, but weird. My summer session at work starts July 11, at which point, I'll be back to commuting into Boston 4 days a week.

Glad you had a good time camping, even with the rough start! And that you're going to have a fabu time with M very very soon!!!

#150 of 164 Old 06-27-2011, 08:56 AM

Maia- I am having computer problems, but it sounds like ds met your honey? Sorry if I am mistaken. How did it go?

Witchy- I had a bout of it a few weeks ago, but I started back on a nerve tonic, which seemed to help. I would just be awake and unable to fall asleep. Might be worth a try. Insomnia is no fun!awen

I am just tired right now. I think my allergies combined with dusting my room has compounded my poor sleep last night. I would love to get away for a few days and go camping, but 1)we would need to purchase a tent, 2)all cabins are booked, 3)I am a wimp and don't want to tent camp anyways, so we are planning to act like we are camping by cooking outdoors, and enjoying camping activities like playing cards and such.

I need to weed and spend time in my garden, which I think I will tackle this afternoon.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page