~~Joyfully Pagan in June~~ - Page 6 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#151 of 164 Old 06-27-2011, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Yesterday was an adventure... I was working on coding (so locked up in the sleep loft with the laptop) so DH had the kiddos more or less on his own.  Well, first ds rubbed something on his face that gave him a rash... in they came to find the hydrocortisone and benadryl.  Then ds fell into the gully that fronts our house (it's about 5 feet deep, lots of rocks and the metal edge of the underpass, usually 4-5 inches of water at the bottom) and thank the gods he was mostly ok... dd1 yelled, dh ran and jumped right over the side, and ds only had some cuts and scrapes (instead of major cuts, broken bones, or drowning) so in they came again for snuggles, dry clothes, and baindaids.  Then ds tripped and cut his lip on the water bottle he was holding... so once again they came in till the bleeding stopped and teeth could be checked.  At that point I gave up on working.  LOL

DS had his revenge though... he twisted and turned and managed to pee all over dh's pillow last night!  We have no idea how he managed it LOL but it was kind of funny.  ;)  Even dh was laughing.  Especially since the girls wanted dh to come sleep in their room at about 1am so dh escaped the pee and pillow after all.

Today the brakes went out in the van so we're stuck at home... my mom stopped by with chocolate (for me) and blueberries (for the kids) and that has made a huge difference in the day.  After yesterday I still feel all wrung out and ready to fall over!

Overall though the weather is back to sunny, dh is bringing home new brakes to get the van working again, I have an ICAN meeting tomorrow and a midwife visit on Friday, and the week is looking good!

camping- I'm a "higher needs" camper than Maia I think.  LOL  I pack a lot of toys for the inevitable "it's pouring rain and we're trapped in the tent", generally one little backpack for each kiddo with new toys/books/crayons in it.  Also special snacks for them in those backpacks.  Other than that... I'd probably suggest starting out at a state park or "formal" campsite since this is your first time camping with a little.  That way the camp site will already be clean/clear, there might be a fire pit or grill already prepared on the site, there will probably be a toilet/privy fairly nearby, your car is handy in case you realize you forgot something crucial or decide to cut the trip short or in the case of total tent fail.

While we do some "short trips" (Dh is a big hiker/camper and he likes to take the kids for 1-3 night trips) I'm more of the "long term" camper... I'm always miserable the first day or two so I need a trip to last a week or so to make it "worth it".  We bring air mattresses and camp pads and turn most of the tent floor into sleep space since we're a co-sleeping family of 5.  Mama/Dada/smallest child get the airmattress and the bigger kiddos can either slide their camp pads up against the air mattress or away as they wish.  Polar fleece is a nice option for blankets (just pull whatever blankets you're using up over your pillow so that in the evening the dew doesn't get your pillow wet, polar fleece or wool is nice because even if one side is a bit damp it stays warm/comfy)  We also bring a play yard/packNplay type thing since we can't always hold a crawling babe (while tending the fire, lifting hot pots off fire, etc) and having a safe (and mosquito netted) space rocks.  So either a play yard or a screen tent (we're getting a screen tent for our big camping trip this year since the kiddos are all big enough to understand/obey "stay in the tent" commands) can be a big help.

Speaking of camping- I'm starting to plan for Pennsic!  W00T!!!!!!!!!  I'm so excited.  LOL

poem of the day, The Waking by T. Roethke:

Quote:
I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.
I feel my fate in what I cannot fear.
I learn by going where I have to go.

We think by feeling. What is there to know?
I hear my being dance from ear to ear.
I wake to sleep, and take my waking slow.

I learn by going where I have to go.  That sort of sums it up, I think!

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#152 of 164 Old 06-27-2011, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeress View PostMaia- I am having computer problems, but it sounds like ds met your honey? Sorry if I am mistaken. How did it go?

No, they haven't met yet. Soon enough! I hope! Oh, sometimes you can get camping gear on Freecycle.

Good thoughts, Clay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View Postcamping- I'm a "higher needs" camper than Maia I think.  LOL  I pack a lot of toys for the inevitable "it's pouring rain and we're trapped in the tent", generally one little backpack for each kiddo with new toys/books/crayons in it.  Also special snacks for them in those backpacks.  Other than that... I'd probably suggest starting out at a state park or "formal" campsite since this is your first time camping with a little.  That way the camp site will already be clean/clear, there might be a fire pit or grill already prepared on the site, there will probably be a toilet/privy fairly nearby, your car is handy in case you realize you forgot something crucial or decide to cut the trip short or in the case of total tent fail.

While we do some "short trips" (Dh is a big hiker/camper and he likes to take the kids for 1-3 night trips) I'm more of the "long term" camper... I'm always miserable the first day or two so I need a trip to last a week or so to make it "worth it".  We bring air mattresses and camp pads and turn most of the tent floor into sleep space since we're a co-sleeping family of 5.  Mama/Dada/smallest child get the airmattress and the bigger kiddos can either slide their camp pads up against the air mattress or away as they wish.  Polar fleece is a nice option for blankets (just pull whatever blankets you're using up over your pillow so that in the evening the dew doesn't get your pillow wet, polar fleece or wool is nice because even if one side is a bit damp it stays warm/comfy)  We also bring a play yard/packNplay type thing since we can't always hold a crawling babe (while tending the fire, lifting hot pots off fire, etc) and having a safe (and mosquito netted) space rocks.  So either a play yard or a screen tent (we're getting a screen tent for our big camping trip this year since the kiddos are all big enough to understand/obey "stay in the tent" commands) can be a big help.

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

#153 of 164 Old 06-28-2011, 06:35 AM

Everyone posts on the weekend huh :)

We had a very lazy Saturday and then Sunday spent hours around the zoo. There is even a huge splash pad that DD got to enjoy. I think we did 6 or so hours of walking.

Camping - we love to camp. I went pregnant with DD and then again before she was 1 (we've been since too). However, my disclaimer is, we are both in the military so we are used to roughing it. When we go as a family, we do bring luxuries we would never bring otherwise. We have our tent (that can count as a luxury sometimes) which is pretty big, sleeps 6 and has a giant vestibule, large enough to play games/eat if it rains. Sleeping bags, food, and we have a camp kitchen we set up too. This gives us a sink, counter, and cooking space so we don't have to take up the usually only picnic table. To keep the little one entertained, we go swimming, make a fire, run around. We bring a toy or two (like a ball or something else that's pretty active).

Clay - I hope everyone is feeling better at your house! That is way too many injuries for me for a day! Happy healing vibes if you want :)

I'm 39 weeks today. I can't believe it. I never imagined being this pregnant. Part of me is anxious that this baby is going to stay forever because I'm not used to a baby staying to term. I am certainly happy but also secretly hoping my babe wants to meet us. I want this babe to have a calm and peaceful homebirth entrance into this world. I think I have to do some meditation and talking to the little one. I think I focused so much on making it to 37 that now, I don't know what to do with myself.

Nicole: mama to DD and DS, childbirth educator and doula. Dancing the spiral dance of life bellycast.gif

#154 of 164 Old 06-28-2011, 07:57 AM

Singin- Oh happy day! I am so glad you made it this far and baby can come whenever he/she is ready!! Sending peaceful vibes for a calm birth!

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#155 of 164 Old 06-28-2011, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View Post

On a brighter note, a poem of hope and dreams by Shel Silverstein:

Wouldn't that make a great circle invocation?  Or a door charm of sorts?  I fell like I want to print it on a flag and hang it on my home.  :)  Or maybe turn it into a charm bracelet (a charm for each invitation... like a bean or praying hands or crossed fingers or whatever) or milagro board.

I love love love that poem and the idea of a charm bracelet! What's a milagro board?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vydalea View Post

You mamas who camp/have camped with wee ones - what works for you?  Any advice for a mama trying it out for the first time in mid-July?  My hubs is the VERY cautious and wary about every "first" we do with Z - which is great because he is prepared for the worst but it's also a little bit paralyzing for us right now.  We barely travel or camp and we did both A LOT before Z.  Not like we were world travelers or anything but a weekend trip here and there... so i THINK i've talked him into an overnight in the ADKs (2 nights total, the first in a motel) next to our family's cabin.  A miniature step but a step nonetheless.  I read about you brave mamas camping with your itsy bitsys and I just know you must have some secrets!! winky.gif

How young is young? The first time I took my youngest camping he was 8 months old (crawling but not walking). To be honest, it was easier than taking him at a year when he became mobile. If you normally co-sleep at home, I'd spring for a large air mattress to co-sleep there. If your little is out of diapers, I'd think about bringing diapers around for night at least and extra clothes for the day. Before my oldest turned three, she used to have a lot more accidents when we were camping. My youngest had one camping trip where he had a ton of accidents, but he's had less issues with it. Still, it's better to come with too many clothes than too few.

We just got back from camping at a regional burn. It was so much fun. We also went camping earlier this month. I kind of want to go camping again sometime this summer, or at the very least this fall.

Partner to Rbikenew.gif ('03); Parent to T read.gif('07), Aviolin.gif ('10), and E ecbaby2.gif ('13)

femalesling.GIFhomeschool.gifchicken3.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif 

#156 of 164 Old 06-28-2011, 09:46 AM

Yeah, and I found out when DS was 4.5m old what long sleeved onesies were for! I'd used to think "what in the world...these are useless" but then in a sleeping bag/camp bed, it can tend to get kind of cold at night, and he sleeps with his arms out. All the time. But it can get right warm inside the bed. So the bare legs came in handy, and so did the long sleeves.

Oh, if it's chilly at night and the child needs a hat, here's what I discovered: Get a kind that has ear flaps, and that velcros (not ties) under the chin. Make sure that when the child turns hir head, that the hat turns with the head and does not stay in place, thereby covering the child's face/nose/way to breathe. Test this at home first.

5 more days till M! love.gif energy.gif

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

#157 of 164 Old 06-28-2011, 04:53 PM

Wanted to pop in and say hi to everyone.  No time to reply to anything but wanted you all to know that I'm thinking of you!

Find your bliss.  guitar.gif

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

#158 of 164 Old 06-28-2011, 06:19 PM

Thanks for the insights on camping with Z, ladies.  She is one and her mobility and amazing curiosity is what I am most worried about.  We've always been campers so we've got lots of supplies but never with a little one - it's just the wonder of what I won't think of!  Which you all made great points on.  Never thought about the long sleeve onesies and the hat, Maia, but you're totally right, especially since we'll be in the Adirondacks.  We were also wondering about how co-sleeping was going to work and we'll definitely spring for a bigger mattress!  Thank you so much for your thoughts!  I'm so grateful to learn from experienced mamas!!

Sounds like everyone has some beautiful things to look forward to!  July looks busy for us but full of lovelies visiting and to visit from near and far!

one of my dearest friends had her baby girl today - still unnamed - sending blessings to the universe for this precious life!  joy.gif

peace.gif Mama and tiphat.gif Daddy (6/04) and energy.gifZ (5/10) make 3!  heartbeat.gif

#159 of 164 Old 06-29-2011, 12:58 PM

Vydalea - yay for your friend and her baby girl! Hope they are doing well and enjoy their babymoon!

Maia - so close until your next trip! Yay!

DOK - hope you are well! Loved you "find your bliss" line from your post. Made my day!

Saw my midwife today. That was fun :) Lost weight, baby grew a fair bit. We'll see what happens! This weekend is Canada Day so if there is no baby, we are going to walking. Otherwise, we have a baby and hang out here - all good options! Most things are clean and ready to go, I just have a few dishes to do but would love to cook more freezer meals, I just don't feel like washing the dishes that go along with all that cooking.

Hope you are all well!

Nicole: mama to DD and DS, childbirth educator and doula. Dancing the spiral dance of life bellycast.gif

#160 of 164 Old 06-29-2011, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter

had a big post yesterday and it obviously didn't "post".  LOL and a sigh at the same time.

Let's see... can't remember everything I said.  Um... there was a happy happy to those on their way to see loved ones, and to those with term pregnancies, and to those with happy news and jolly weather.  There were hugs to those facing difficulties with kiddos and partners and work and weather.

There was a quickie discussion of Milagros... the super short version is: Milagro means "miracle" in Spanish.  Milagros are small charms (often made from copper or silver) that represent prayers, wishes, intentions, hopes, fears, desires, needs, wants, promises, and so on.  An individual milagro is choosen for it's meaning (say a leg with the intention being safe travel, or a book with the intention being to pass a test) and then the milagro is offered to a saint/patron being as a gift in exchange for assistance in reaching that intention.  If, say, your journey is safe or you pass the test you'd leave the milagro as a gift (if you visit small shrines in certain parts of mexico and south america you'll find milagros pinned to saint's clothing or altar clothes, or all over the bottom of sacred wells).  Until the intention manifests some people will display the milagros... a milagro board is one way to display them, others include sewing them onto clothing or a pillow, placing them in a pouch carried on your person or left on a home altar/shrine, or in a special box also on the shrine.

I once read a book in which one character had been abused as a young woman,  As an adult she crafted a charm bracelet with an empty charm for each instance of abuse and then, as she lived her life, she filled in each charm with an accomplishment.  (now, she kind of focused on accomplishments that would cause harm/damage to the sort of powerful man who had initiated the abuse, so this wasn't exactly roses and rainbows but the idea of a "challenge charm bracelet" stuck in my mind).  And in some SCA and Faerie groups I know people will craft charm bracelets that are designed to be "given away"... the charms remove easily and the goal is to gift as many differet people with as many charms as possible.  Sort of a tangible way to spread the love.  So that poem kind of has me thinking along those lines and milagros seem to fit into that since they are tangible little mriacles waiting for intention and time to fill them out.

I found a poem about miracles, but since the internet gods ate that along with the post, here are two new poems for today (the first stanza of Ode by Arthur O'Shaughnessy and a verse from The Dragons and Singing Tonight by Jack Prelutsky):

Quote:
We are the music makers,
And we are the dreamers of dreams,
Wandering by lone sea-breakers,
And sitting by desolate streams;—
World-losers and world-forsakers,
On whom the pale moon gleams:
Yet we are the movers and shakers
Of the world for ever, it seems.

Quote:

If you don't believe in dragons,

It is curiously true

That the dragons you disparage

Choose not to believe in you.

mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#161 of 164 Old 06-29-2011, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vydalea View PostWe were also wondering about how co-sleeping was going to work and we'll definitely spring for a bigger mattress! 

Oh yeah-- she'll definitely "sink" into the mattress more than at home, since it's air. Unless you have a different kind. I might put her on her own mat beside your bed, that isn't made of air. There is a slight risk, I think, of suffocation due to face being pressed into the softness of the air mattress, and if both parents sleep deeply you wouldn't catch it. DS and I didn't have an issue because I was the only parent. He didn't "sink" because it was just the two of us and I put him on his own "side" of the mattress, rather than in the middle between two adults.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View PostThere was a quickie discussion of Milagros... the super short version is: Milagro means "miracle" in Spanish.  Milagros are small charms (often made from copper or silver) that represent prayers, wishes, intentions, hopes, fears, desires, needs, wants, promises, and so on.  An individual milagro is choosen for it's meaning (say a leg with the intention being safe travel, or a book with the intention being to pass a test) and then the milagro is offered to a saint/patron being as a gift in exchange for assistance in reaching that intention.  If, say, your journey is safe or you pass the test you'd leave the milagro as a gift (if you visit small shrines in certain parts of mexico and south america you'll find milagros pinned to saint's clothing or altar clothes, or all over the bottom of sacred wells).  Until the intention manifests some people will display the milagros... a milagro board is one way to display them, others include sewing them onto clothing or a pillow, placing them in a pouch carried on your person or left on a home altar/shrine, or in a special box also on the shrine.

Hey, that poem is the one that Willy Wonka quotes in the Chocolate Factory!

Do you know of a milagro for selling one's house?

#162 of 164 Old 06-29-2011, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter

Yup... it's a loooooong poem, most people only "know" the first verse (which is the one I shared) and parts of that verse are pretty deeply embedded in our modern culture.  For instance, it's where "Movers and Shakers" comes from as a term, and there's that Willie Wonka thing too.  In fact, that line from Willie Wonka gets quoted/used in a mixed media context probably more often than the original line.  LOL  :)

House selling... I'm not sure.  Traditionally milagros are part of the folk-tradition of Mexico that sit on the line between tradition and orthodox Christianity.  Similar to, oh, the use of Christian saint candles in Santeria or Christian images in Vodou.  I know Saint Anthony and Saint Joseph are popular Christian saints in terms of folk-trad house sales.  So if you're comfortable invoking specifically Christian spirits, using specifically Christian imagery... maybe burn glass cylindar sain candles to them?  Then bury their statues in the yard.  And for milagros... maybe a leg or foot to symbolize moving, a house to represent either the one being sold or the one being sought, and then a charm that symbolizes the actual move to you (a suitcase, airplane, etc)?  You can find a bunch of charms and common meanings here: http://www.zanzibartrading.com/MexicanMilagros.htm

#163 of 164 Old 06-30-2011, 11:14 AM

I found a little document amongst a bunch of UU stuff I was going through. It is a nice little reference, with some great pictures of goddesses.

I am hoping to log some hours in the yard, I did my weeding the other day. My garden is really looking and it is so pretty but the camera is missing, so no pics. I really want to add a spiritual space to the yard, with a great bench, some beautiful statues and great rocks. I will start by finding the rocks. :)

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#164 of 164 Old 06-30-2011, 07:00 PM

Singin_angel:  oh!!!!!  i am just so excited for you so excited!!  joy.gif happy, healthy thoughts and vibes being sent to you!!! 

clay: I love the idea of a charm bracelet that is given away piece by piece.  that's beautiful. 

aeress: a spiritual space sounds so calm.  i can't wait to hear what you create.

maia: i was thinking about suffocation with the air mattress.  I don't know how it will work out and I feel like we won't know until we get the darn mattress home and try it out.  Better keep the receipts and mattresses. 

thanks to everyone for being so welcoming and open and kind to me this first month of mine with you.  blowkiss.gif

peace.gif Mama and tiphat.gif Daddy (6/04) and energy.gifZ (5/10) make 3!  heartbeat.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page