So tired of people assuming I am christian... :( - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-22-2011, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

That.  So tired of people just assuming I am christian, or if not christian then nothing, and then being sad for me because they think that.  I am tired of the subtle and not so subtle pressure to adhere to christian values and ideology when I don't believe in it at all.  I am tired of the proselytizing and bible quotes for people trying to prove I am "wrong".  I am tired of people wrapping christianity up within the context of being a good citizen or worthwhile person.  How do other non-christian mamas handle this? I want to be respectful of other people's beliefs, but it is so hard when I feel constantly disrespected.

goorganic.jpgwife to footinmouth.gif, currently WOH and geek.gif on my doctorate. (I'm dissertating!) We: novaxnocirc.giftoddler.gifgd.giffamilybed1.gif  with DS (4/09)!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2011, 01:54 PM

Just curious about what leads people to assume that you're Christian?  Do you follow any type of spiritual practice?  I'm Episcopalian, but I personally believe that everyone has their own path and if someone is a good person & can show that example to his/her kids, then that's a good thing. 

Benjamin's Mom, 11/13/07joy.gif
Old 06-23-2011, 02:22 PM
rcr

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

We live in the south - not just the bible belt - but the belt buckle of the bible belt ROTFLMAO.gif, so it is always assumed that we are christian too. It was kinda overwhelming when we first moved to the south, but we just roll with it now. When somebody asks what church we go to I say that we don't go to church. If they continue on with something (you should come to my church...), I cut them off and say that we are not interested in going to church.  When somebody prays before a meal (like at work or something). I just stand there and ignore it, but I do put my head down. When somebody tries to start a conversation about how we should be christian (which happens all the time!), I just tell them that I am not interested in discussing it.

In short, I just refuse to engage in any kind of discussion about my beliefs, even if it means being rude to somebody. I have been dragged into too many conversations where I have to defend myself to even open myself up to any more discussions about it, even if they may have turned out to be worthwhile, y/k. Overall I don't see Christians as a particularly accepting or respectful group of people (just IMO, don't flame me!), so I just don't engage with them - but then again, I live in a region full of fundamentalists, so my opinion of Christians is probably pretty skewed.

Mom to DS 12/07 and DD 11/13, plus a bunch of chickens, dogs, and cats.

Moving past many years of infertility and always thinking of my friends in the infertility forums.

Old 06-24-2011, 06:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaW412 View Post

Just curious about what leads people to assume that you're Christian?  Do you follow any type of spiritual practice?  I'm Episcopalian, but I personally believe that everyone has their own path and if someone is a good person & can show that example to his/her kids, then that's a good thing. 

I don't "do anything" that would lead anyone to assume I am christian.  It seems to be people's default setting.  I actually find it rather offensive. 

goorganic.jpgwife to footinmouth.gif, currently WOH and geek.gif on my doctorate. (I'm dissertating!) We: novaxnocirc.giftoddler.gifgd.giffamilybed1.gif  with DS (4/09)!
Old 06-24-2011, 07:10 AM

I also find some things offensive. I do believe in Jesus and pray to the Great Creator, but I don't believe in most of the bible. So I am misleading to most people as I don't fit the mold.
Old 06-24-2011, 02:42 PM

Interesting.  I live in the NY-Metropolitan area, so I generally try not to assume anything about what a person believes.

Benjamin's Mom, 11/13/07joy.gif
Old 06-24-2011, 02:50 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcr View Post

We live in the south - not just the bible belt - but the belt buckle of the bible belt ROTFLMAO.gif, so it is always assumed that we are christian too. It was kinda overwhelming when we first moved to the south, but we just roll with it now. When somebody asks what church we go to I say that we don't go to church. If they continue on with something (you should come to my church...), I cut them off and say that we are not interested in going to church. 

The last sentence above is where I continue my story. We were discriminated against in our wealthy neighborhood in Atlanta because we were non church going.

I didn't want that for the kids.

We moved to another part of the country and not a single person here has EVER asked me what church I attend or if I will go with them.
Old 06-25-2011, 11:06 AM

Well as a Muslim who used to live in the South, I can relate.  I had an out as I attended a Christian seminary before converting to Islam--so it sort of let me say that I made an "informed" choice. 

Honestly, usually I'll just say "I'm so happy you've found a spiritual path that works for you."  You could say, "I'm comfortable with you praying for me (if you are)--but I honestly find all of this proslytizing off-putting.  I think if I'm ever going to become a Christian, it would be under my own initiative--but thanks anyway."  Or you could say, "If I'm going to have a personal relationship with Jesus, I don't need you to be the middleman." ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by New_Natural_Mom View Post

That.  So tired of people just assuming I am christian, or if not christian then nothing, and then being sad for me because they think that.  I am tired of the subtle and not so subtle pressure to adhere to christian values and ideology when I don't believe in it at all.  I am tired of the proselytizing and bible quotes for people trying to prove I am "wrong".  I am tired of people wrapping christianity up within the context of being a good citizen or worthwhile person.  How do other non-christian mamas handle this? I want to be respectful of other people's beliefs, but it is so hard when I feel constantly disrespected.

Mom to DS(8), DS(6), DD(4), and DS(1).  "Kids do as well as they can."

Old 06-26-2011, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by umsami View Post
  Or you could say, "If I'm going to have a personal relationship with Jesus, I don't need you to be the middleman." ;)

Ha. Love that line.

Old 06-26-2011, 10:50 PM

I feel ya! I'm in Utah and most people just assume I am Mormon... which granted I was raised but still. I'm tired of the condescending looks and/or comments when people find out I am no longer a member. Or the "gentle suggestions" from my MIL: books, magazines, invitations to church, talking about Jesus with my daughter, etc though she knows we have chosen not to follow that particular path. 

I don't have any advice really other than what a pp already mentioned which is to just not engage in the conversation at all. 

Old 06-27-2011, 02:20 AM

Quote:

I don't "do anything" that would lead anyone to assume I am christian.  It seems to be people's default setting.  I actually find it rather offensive. 

Yep that's about it isn't it.  I lived all over the US and it is definitely more prevalent in the southern states...whereas in california nobody cares what religion you are mostly lol.  People in general in the US, unless they are NON christian themselves, just automatically assume that everyone is Christian.  And often are quite put out at the idea that someone might be of another faith, because that implies that you think theirs is rubbish. I guess? 

Interestingly enough, except in home schooling circles, down here in Australia what religion you are is a question that is literally almost never asked!

Pagan  lovin'  WOW playing mum to 5 boys in the wonderful land of Oz ... FOR THE HORDE! hehehe
Old 06-28-2011, 01:53 AM

I grew up in the south. In my community we had "church goers" and drug addicts, with seemingly no one in between. A heavy handed fundamentalism was the default, and I'm not sure how I escaped being sucked in. My "born again" brother came to visit and just couldn't comprehend that we didn't want our kids "saved" because we reject the concept of sin or the devil. My point is, these folks aren't trying to be offensive, and generally not hateful. They just have a narrow worldview in this department.  Being comfortable with your own path, and polite refusal to engage ( I'm so glad you're happy, please pass the bean dip) really are the only ways I've found to deal with it. And I moved. Christianity is still the default assumption, but it's been a decade since anyone tried to "save" me.

Mom of 4 aspiring midwife "Friend"ly seeker
Old 06-28-2011, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by umsami View Post

Or you could say, "If I'm going to have a personal relationship with Jesus, I don't need you to be the middleman." wink1.gif

Great line, Love it!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mntnmom View Post

Christianity is still the default assumption, but it's been a decade since anyone tried to "save" me.

Ahh that reminds me of how last week, my hard core baptist MIL who was visiting from out of town got me in a room and insisted that I say a particular phrase stating I except Jesus before I could leave. I could have left, but I did it to get her off my back about me being saved in her eyes. Goodness!
Old 06-28-2011, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaboss View Post

I feel ya! I'm in Utah and most people just assume I am Mormon... which granted I was raised but still. I'm tired of the condescending looks and/or comments when people find out I am no longer a member. Or the "gentle suggestions" from my MIL: books, magazines, invitations to church, talking about Jesus with my daughter, etc though she knows we have chosen not to follow that particular path. 

I don't have any advice really other than what a pp already mentioned which is to just not engage in the conversation at all. 

Don't know how you do it. As an newly ex mormon (was born and raised in it), I still feel very judged by the few mormons I run into. I have to buy my wine on Sundays because the mormons wont be there to see me do it, Lol!

Question for y'all- christian by definition is believing in Jesus right? Or is it a more way of thinking or way of life? So someone that was Muslim, for example, may believe in the Jesus story, but does that make them also christian?
Old 06-28-2011, 09:27 AM

Most Christians believe in Jesus as their lord and savior, but not all believe that specifically. Some people in the trinity, the father, son and holy spirit as one and the same. I don't believe their to be a right answer. I am pagan and I believe in Jesus as great guy who helped show the world that love can heal, protect and care.

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

Old 06-28-2011, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koalamom View Post

Question for y'all- christian by definition is believing in Jesus right? Or is it a more way of thinking or way of life? So someone that was Muslim, for example, may believe in the Jesus story, but does that make them also christian?

Christian by definition means believing in Jesus Christ. Christ = Messiah. Someone who believes in Jesus, in the sense of believing he existed, or believing he taught some good things, but does not believe Jesus was the Christ, is not a Christian. 

Old 06-29-2011, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koalamom View Post

The problem is: nearly every group of Christian makes up a definition that excludes others who consider themselves Christian as well. This group says you need baptism by immersion, this group says you have to speak in tongues and dress like "we" do. They might decide that "good" Christians support the Boy Scouts, or boycott the Boy Scouts and have their kids in AWANAS instead. That's why there are so many denominations claiming to be "real"Christians. Even if you do X and Y, someone will try to make you Z, or exclude you because you won't.

Mom of 4 aspiring midwife "Friend"ly seeker
Old 06-29-2011, 03:42 PM

Yes, by definition, A Christian is someone who believes that Jesus is the Christ, the Messiah, and their savior. How one goes on to PRACTICE their Christianity can be VERY diverse. But you can't call yourself a  Christian and not believe that Jesus is the Christ. Well, I guess you can call yourself anything you want...lol :) But a Christian believes that Jesus Christ is their savior. 

Heather , momma to ' Parker- 10, Carlee- 7 and our baby Genevieve Faith - 8-27-10

Old 06-29-2011, 08:48 PM

This is also something I'm going to struggle with in the not too distant future. I recently lost my faith, as in 7 months ago, and I'm pregnant, due in February, with an evangelical Christian family who don't know I no longer believe. My mom doesn't know I no longer believe! When the baby is born, they're going to expect me to have some sort of baby dedication at a church. I haven't been to church in over a year since about a year or so ago, I came to the conclusion that the current Christian church is not biblical. Surprising my mom was fine with that. I have been thinking about visiting an Unitarian Universalist church, which would send my family into a tizzy. So everyone assumes I'm still a Christian and I have no idea how to deal with questions either.

DD Seraphina born at home on 2/21/2012! 

"Childbirth is more admirable than conquest, more amazing than self-defense, and as courageous as either one."
Old 06-30-2011, 11:26 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

From the beginning the church was very clear that to be a Christian meant believeing specific things about Christ and God the Father (and a little later The Holy Spirit).  They had no problem separating the real Christians from those people who were teaching false things about Christ.

That said....down south, I doubt I would be considered Christian enough.  My mom cannot wrap her head around it that I believe in Jesus, celebrate Christian holidays and baptize my kids.  I am Orthodox for crying out loud.  Its not like I fell off the edge of the world.  They are not just assuming you are Christian by a a generally accepted moderate definition but that you are Western Protestant Evangelical Christian who believes exactly what they do about politics .  So even a large chunk of Christians are subject to a) the visible shock and horror of finding out that someone is not an EveProt Christian (because if you are in the south and are Catholic or Orthodox you might as well be a Satanist) b) attempts to save us. 

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

Old 06-30-2011, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyka View Post

That said....down south, I doubt I would be considered Christian enough.  My mom cannot wrap her head around it that I believe in Jesus, celebrate Christian holidays and baptize my kids.  I am Orthodox for crying out loud.  Its not like I fell off the edge of the world.  They are not just assuming you are Christian by a a generally accepted moderate definition but that you are Western Protestant Evangelical Christian who believes exactly what they do about politics .  So even a large chunk of Christians are subject to a) the visible shock and horror of finding out that someone is not an EveProt Christian (because if you are in the south and are Catholic or Orthodox you might as well be a Satanist) b) attempts to save us. 

I think it may be at least partly a denominational and/or regional thing. I get the same kind of reaction as Lilyka sometimes, and not from Roman Catholics, who are the largest Christian denomination around here, but from "EveProt" Christians. Some have been told I am "Christian" or "traditional Christian" and immediately made assumptions about my politics and family life. There seem to be a certain number of Christians who think of Christianity not as a doctrine but as a kind of lifestyle package deal. 

Old 07-02-2011, 12:01 AM

Tell me about it...I have family down south, and it's like they don't even believe that non-christians exist. I'm an atheist and the thought is positively horrifying to them.

I'm starting school at the University of Alabama in August, and they sent me a little card where I could mark my religious affiliation so that the local congregation could contact me. I tossed it out right away, but I recall there being no options other than different denominations of christianity.

treehugger.gif NMY, uber-crunchy, college student, doula-in-training, health food store worker and future librarian read.gif

Old 07-02-2011, 11:08 AM

Quote:
nm

lady.gif
Old 07-02-2011, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyka View Post

From the beginning the church was very clear that to be a Christian meant believeing specific things about Christ and God the Father (and a little later The Holy Spirit).  They had no problem separating the real Christians from those people who were teaching false things about Christ.

There are lot of Catholics in the South. Especially in Texas and Louisiana. But also in Florida. Just because some evangelical protestants have problems with Catholics dont paint the whole South with that.

Also, there are quite a few pagans in the south too, Texas has a pretty active heathen community for instance.
Old 07-03-2011, 11:26 PM

Well I am a former Protestant evangelical, still identifying as a Christian, but if you chalk my "beliefs" up to any sect of accepted orthodoxy (Orthodox, Catholic or Protestant) they would label me a heretic. I was an evangelical missionary, so I know full well what "Christians" define "Christianity" as- for us evangelicals "Christ is my Savior and Lord".

But I've since learned there were hundreds of ideas and texts forming early Christianity, that orthodoxy prevailed for the most part sadly through persecution of others, I can't accept that "Christianity" is so easy to label. I mean, Gandhi was a Christian in my book, because he actually made Christ "Lord" of his life and obeyed His command of non-violence, when most branches of Christianity apart from Anabaptists accept violence.

For me the gospel is about the Kingdom of God, which cannot be contained, not salvation from a mythical hell by some magical sinner's prayer.

Anywho, I guess I am tired as well of being identified as something I am not as well, because I cannot explain how I am a Christian but not as you would define it without explaining all of the above =).

Happily married to DH for 6 years, in process to foster-adopt 3 children DD4, DS3 and DS2. We may be bringing half brother age 9 one day as well! We are not infertile, we just have decided that since there are precious children who need homes there is no need for us to have biological children.

Old 07-06-2011, 06:47 PM

Quote:

I think this is the heart of it. People also will always assume that someone is straight, white, able bodied, etc. unless otherwise proven. (For example, have you noticed in some books, that the person's skin color is only mentioned if they are non-white?) Setting the "norm" is part of how privileged groups maintain their privilege.

Mama Bear toddler.gif, Papa Bear treehugger.gif and Baby Bear (8/11) coolshine.gif

Old 07-07-2011, 03:46 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat13 View Post

I think this is the heart of it. People also will always assume that someone is straight, white, able bodied, etc. unless otherwise proven. (For example, have you noticed in some books, that the person's skin color is only mentioned if they are non-white?) Setting the "norm" is part of how privileged groups maintain their privilege.

True, the assumption can be part of belonging to a privileged category; but it can also be simply that one category is in the vast majority, or the majority in a particular setting. For example, DH and I have visited Greek or Russian Orthodox parishes, and parishoners always presumed at least one of us were of the same nationality before they even knew us. I used to belong to an Irish music and dance group, and had to keep telling people I was not Irish. I have had people take it for granted I was an atheist because everyone else at the gathering was atheist; and was once presumed to be Pagan when I attended a vegan food potluck. headscratch.gif It was not based on a feeling of privilege, just on statistics. The same could apply to a community which is almost entirely Christian (or whatever). People should certainly be aware of other religious beliefs, but the assumption is not necessarily hostile or arrogant.

Old 07-10-2011, 01:52 PM

I think you just make the decision to not let it bother you, and once you've made that decision then come up with concrete ways that you can apply when people are bugging you about your beliefs. it can even be just something as simple as a little mantra you repeat in your head while they are talking to you.

Quote:

Midwifery student , Mama to my 4 amazing kids. treehugger.gif

User Tag List