What to bring to an inter-faith potluck that all can eat? (Jewish & Muslim diet guidelines question) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-23-2011, 05:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

If I recall correctly, Jewish rules say meals either involve milk & eggs or meat, not both. So macaroni salad w/ mayo and tuna would be out? I've got some vegan mayo. How about chocolate cake? No shellfish, right? Is shrimp okay? No pig products either right? I've got a recipe for shrimp stew... presuming I leave out the bacon.  All I know about Muslim dietary guidelines is that they're similar to Jewish.

Thanks!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2011, 10:16 PM

Shellfish is not allowed under Jewish dietary laws. I don't know about the Muslim take on shellfish.

Your best bet - something vegan!

lady.gif
Old 06-23-2011, 10:27 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Pick something vegan.  No one has any beef with veggies.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

Old 06-23-2011, 11:34 PM

I'm pretty sure fish is not considered meat in terms of Jewish dietary laws, but I wouldn't rely on my word on that.

Islamic dietary laws for the most part come down to no pork products (the big hidden offender being some types of gelatin), no alcohol (for most part including in cooking even where the actual alcohol would burn off), and while the vast majority of Muslims do eat any type of seafood there is a minority which avoids shellfish.   

Old 06-23-2011, 11:47 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you!  I ran out of time to cook anything anyway, and so went with a fruit platter from Costco.  :-)

Old 06-24-2011, 07:57 AM

I know this is a bit late in the game, but Kosher involves a bit more for many people than just not mixing meat and milk - they have to use special dishes that have been purified, etc. Chances are that if someone was very strict in their dietary guidelines they wouldn't eat much of anything at a potluck, but TMMV.

coolshine.gif
Old 06-24-2011, 05:22 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

That is a good point.  I think when going to potlucks, any potluck, it is best to just post the recipe and let people choose if this is something they feel comfortable eating (if it is not religion it is allergies or person preferences).  Everyone has different rules and you will never be able to cover everyone.  And no one expects you to.  

But vegan is usually a good choice for most people and you can never go wrong with a fruit tray :D

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

Old 06-24-2011, 05:46 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)

go with hummus and veggies next time and some olives

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

Old 06-24-2011, 06:05 PM

“What is evil? Killing is evil, lying is evil, slandering is evil, abuse is evil, gossip is evil: envy is evil, hatred is evil, to cling to false doctrine is evil; all these things are evil. And what is the root of evil? Desire is the root of evil, illusion is the root of evil.”
- Buddha

User Tag List