*~*~*~JuLy PAgaN FAmiLY CirCLe!~*~*~* - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 188 Old 07-10-2011, 07:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Maia--glad you had such a great time in MA!

As for heating, it really depends on a lot of factors. Electric heat is expensive, that's for sure, but I've always found my heating bills to be fairly reasonable, and we don't get assistance. You may be able to get a deal with them based on past heating bills of the place/income/etc. But heat included would sure be nice! Just expect the heat to be constantly on!!!!

We're in VT. We're leaving today, and tomorrow I start work again. I'm looking forward to getting out of the house again.

Come ponder with me about food!
#62 of 188 Old 07-10-2011, 12:38 PM

Does anyone use (or have used) EFT (I know someone who teaches it and I'm curious if anyone has had luck with it.)

Is it the same as regular tapping?

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

#63 of 188 Old 07-10-2011, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by witchygrrl View Post

Maia--glad you had such a great time in MA!

As for heating, it really depends on a lot of factors. Electric heat is expensive, that's for sure, but I've always found my heating bills to be fairly reasonable, and we don't get assistance. You may be able to get a deal with them based on past heating bills of the place/income/etc. But heat included would sure be nice! Just expect the heat to be constantly on!!!!

We're in VT. We're leaving today, and tomorrow I start work again. I'm looking forward to getting out of the house again.

Yeah, I was going to call you, but I got really selfish with my time with M, being he was on vacation redface.gif Hopefully, though, there will be no next times and we will be living there!

Do you mind (PM if you want) if I ask about heating costs? How much do you pay per month, on the average, for how big of a space? Yeah I am going to call next week to these two places to see about how much the past year's heating bills were for the apartments there. What's reasonable? I have my electric averaged out evenly per month so I don't get socked with a huge bill in February, but it's only $136/mo for a 1200sf house! And we block off one bedroom. Up there, we'll only have two bedrooms. If we had to, though, I'd cosleep with my son again to save on heating bills-- but I really don't want to.

Have fun in VT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaughterOfKali View PostDoes anyone use (or have used) EFT (I know someone who teaches it and I'm curious if anyone has had luck with it.)

Is it the same as regular tapping?

I believe it is. Aweyn is the tapping queen, as you know lol.gif This is the very basic site she pointed me to

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYk7V4BxP-U which I try to remember to do twice a day, and this

http://www.youtube.com/user/magnustapping#p/u/5/-gmz-b2sV0Q is the other one I do sometimes. It's really long by comparison, and I was VERY dubious about it doing anything at all, but I humbly admit it's very effective.

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

#64 of 188 Old 07-10-2011, 03:01 PM

Yay Maia!  It sounds like things are really starting to manifest!  Huzzah!

When we lived in Boston our heat (not included) ended up being a few hundred dollars a month in the cold months... we wore a lot of sweaters, kept the thermostat around 58-60, and had a slightly drafty older ground floor of a triple decker 1200 sq/ft two bedroom apartment.  I think a newer structure or a more efficient heating system would have kept the cost down, and don't forget that if you're in a row house or middle of a triple decker (not uncommon Boston area housing options) then heating costs are a lot lower... the fewer exposed walls you have, the cozier you stay!  When I lived my starving grad school existance in NY the heat was included, but I almost never turned it on because my neighbor's had their heat so high my studio never got chilly.  The rental agency or real estate agent should be able to get you the average monthly costs for any unit you look at so make sure to ask.

Aeress- the school districts here have families in a bit of a bind.  You can use the contract office (and comply with their "more than state reg" guidelines) or you can go directly to the school... but if you do, then you can't submit a parental assessment at the end of the year.  Since the regulations state that the person/people/service that does the annual review must be approved by the superintendent, unless you've used the contact office and their narrative format guidelines, the district simply doesn't approve the annual assessment if it's done by a parent.  Meaning you either have to use a national test, a peer review board, or state certified teacher for the annual assessment.  Which is what is happening in the neighboring district.  Although the super there used to accept parental assessment, they have now decided that they will not accept that... and since the regulations don't actually SAY it's ok for a parent to do the annual assessment (just that you can have a peer review board, certified teacher, or "other person chosen by the parent and approved by the superintendent") the families in that district are in a real bind.  Traditionally parents could do the review, and in the districts that contract with the homeschool coordination office a parental review is still acceptable if it follows their prefered format, the question comes down to whether the appeals process will side with the super or with tradition since the regulations don't specify one way or the other.  It's a mess!  NYHEN just got involved, so we'll see where it goes and what outside voices suggest...

altars- I love the pictures!  I'm inspired to get my personal (upstairs) altar in shape, but there is just so much else that needs to be done upstairs.  I look at the wreckage that is our sleep loft and it just overwhelms me.  Maybe though if I start with the dresser top altar (a classic location!) the calm/organization/peace will spread out from there?  I'm entering week 32 and I think the nesting hormones are starting to kick in...  my to-do list goes beyond "hopeful" and into "crazy"!

We're reading Charlotte's Web (it's the first book in the curriculum we're using) and the girls love it... yesterday we spent much of the day creating a variety of CW inspired critters... we made a felt board and a felt pig, spider, spider web, trough and slops, a rat, a goose, and a barn door.  We used pipe cleaners (did you know they sell GIANT pipe cleaners?  like, two feet long and an inch or so around?) to make spiders and then dd1 attached some to helium balloons and let them fly around the house (one of Charlotte's cousins is a balloon spider)... and I made a monstrosity that is a pipe cleaner pig.  Dd2 likes it, but honestly it's a bit scary!  And now they want to make clay critters as well.  My MIL came over for a few hours yesterday and the girls even put on a play of their version of CW.  I was really suprised at just how much they're digging this story.  And today at the Red BookShelf they asked for and eventually found another EB White book (trumpet of the swan).  (red bookshelf is a local organization that has book collection points and then these red bookcases set out around town... in the grocery stores, the dss office, the science center, at the hospital, etc... where those books are given away for free.  one book per child per visit)

Ok...back to dinner I go.  Today has been nutsy, but the kids have eaten so much watermelon I don't think they're seriously in need of a big dinner.  Or, given how late it is, an on time one either!  lol

Hope everyone has a rockin' week!

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#65 of 188 Old 07-10-2011, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:Originally Posted by wombatclay View PostYay Maia!  It sounds like things are really starting to manifest!  Huzzah!

When we lived in Boston our heat (not included) ended up being a few hundred dollars a month in the cold months... we wore a lot of sweaters, kept the thermostat around 58-60, and had a slightly drafty older ground floor of a triple decker 1200 sq/ft two bedroom apartment.  I think a newer structure or a more efficient heating system would have kept the cost down, and don't forget that if you're in a row house or middle of a triple decker (not uncommon Boston area housing options) then heating costs are a lot lower... the fewer exposed walls you have, the cozier you stay!  When I lived my starving grad school existance in NY the heat was included, but I almost never turned it on because my neighbor's had their heat so high my studio never got chilly.  The rental agency or real estate agent should be able to get you the average monthly costs for any unit you look at so make sure to ask.

Maybe though if I start with the dresser top altar (a classic location!) the calm/organization/peace will spread out from there?

I hope you're right!

Dresser-top altar, starting with: YES. It sounds like FlyLady's sink thing lol.gif

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

#66 of 188 Old 07-10-2011, 04:42 PM

Maia--not to worry about not calling. I figured you two needed all the alone time you could get;)

Anyway, I live in a 90 year old two family house, and our apt is about 1100 sq. feet. Many of the windows are new, but it can still get a bit drafty. We have gas heat and a gas stove (thank the gods), and electric for everything else. I think our total bills combined can get to about $160 in the winter months (last month was about $33 for gas and $58 for electric, for comparison), but I have no special deals and honestly, we're not that great about turning down the heat. I am positive that in a smaller,more efficient space, it wouldn't be that bad. 

We are home from VT now. I've gotten my prep work done for teaching tomorrow, so I feel ready.

#67 of 188 Old 07-11-2011, 03:52 AM

Morning all:)

Fingers crossed for you Maia.  I would love to see pics of the house if you are able to post. 

I have wood for heat and only use the propane heat if we run out of wood. 

earth.gif lovin, treehugger.gif  veggie

#68 of 188 Old 07-11-2011, 06:23 AM

Clay-*oy* That would drive me nuts, too much regulation for me. Ok, now I am thankful that my district has been very hands off. Our school year started last week and is going very well. :) It sounds like your kiddos are enjoying their year as well.

Altar- sadly mine is covered by a box at the moment, so you all are providing the motivation I need to get it cleared off.

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#69 of 188 Old 07-11-2011, 06:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by witchygrrl View PostMaia--not to worry about not calling. I figured you two needed all the alone time you could get;)

Anyway, I live in a 90 year old two family house, and our apt is about 1100 sq. feet. Many of the windows are new, but it can still get a bit drafty. We have gas heat and a gas stove (thank the gods), and electric for everything else. I think our total bills combined can get to about $160 in the winter months (last month was about $33 for gas and $58 for electric, for comparison), but I have no special deals and honestly, we're not that great about turning down the heat. I am positive that in a smaller,more efficient space, it wouldn't be that bad. 

Wow, that's not bad at all! I can totally swing that. Though I keep hearing it can get to like $400 a month in the winter!!! bigeyes.gif There's no WAY I can swing $400 a month. So now I'm wondering how much it can possibly be for a 7-800sf apartment on an upper floor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redveg View PostFingers crossed for you Maia.  I would love to see pics of the house if you are able to post.

I will post when I can!

Mamas, there's a showing today!!! Squee!!! joy.gif I mean-- I don't know how, cause the realtor came over after the call, to put the roadside sign up, and I am pretty sure the MLS isn't up till tonight or tomorrow. However it happened, I don't care! Please light candles that they make an offer!

DS got really sad this morning...this is going to be really hard. Yikes greensad.gif I hope it all goes well. I had to remind him that I don't have any friends either, when we move, that it's all new for me as well. I said we'd have to dump the house anyway, even if we stayed in the area, cause it would end up falling down around our ears. Because I'm not handy and I don't have any friends who are, nor the money to pay people to fix things.

I'm so hopeful. I really am. Cross fingers, mamas fingersx.gif Off to go vacuum and get ready to jet out of here orngbiggrin.gif

#70 of 188 Old 07-11-2011, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiasaura View Post

Wow, that's not bad at all! I can totally swing that. Though I keep hearing it can get to like $400 a month in the winter!!! bigeyes.gif There's no WAY I can swing $400 a month. So now I'm wondering how much it can possibly be for a 7-800sf apartment on an upper floor.

I will post when I can!

Mamas, there's a showing today!!! Squee!!! joy.gif I mean-- I don't know how, cause the realtor came over after the call, to put the roadside sign up, and I am pretty sure the MLS isn't up till tonight or tomorrow. However it happened, I don't care! Please light candles that they make an offer!

DS got really sad this morning...this is going to be really hard. Yikes greensad.gif I hope it all goes well. I had to remind him that I don't have any friends either, when we move, that it's all new for me as well. I said we'd have to dump the house anyway, even if we stayed in the area, cause it would end up falling down around our ears. Because I'm not handy and I don't have any friends who are, nor the money to pay people to fix things.

I'm so hopeful. I really am. Cross fingers, mamas fingersx.gif Off to go vacuum and get ready to jet out of here orngbiggrin.gif

I have never ever had a $400 bill in all of the winters I've paid bills on. I think the most MIGHT have been $200. On an upper floor, if your downstairs neighbors turn on the heat, you'll benefit. And if you have oil heat, just call Joe Kennedy for help--you'll see his Citgo ads in the winter:D I'm only sort of kidding there.

Fingers crossed for a buyer--you gotta get up here, woman! 

#71 of 188 Old 07-11-2011, 02:03 PM

Thinking good house sale thoughts!  And for the new place... just ask what the monthly bills have been in the past year.  If it's a private sale the agent should be able to get that info, and if it's a rental the agency will have access to those numbers.  So much depends on the specific apartment (drafty? not? good sun exposure? most of the day in shade? door that opens straight out of doors vs one that opens into an interior hall?), the type of heat (forced air, cast iron radiators, thin fin radiators, electic, gas, oil) and on how you use the heat (automatic thermostat to drop it at night? remembering to drop it while out on errands? average comfortable range?).

But whatever happens today... I'm sending all the good wishes I've got!  :)

~~~~~~~~~~~

So hot and humid here today, I'm just wiped out.  It's too hot to sleep well at night until 4-5am and that's about when the kids start to stir so I'm running a bigger sleep debt than usual.  And though it keeps getting dark and "rain threatening", it keeps clearing up and getting sunny again!  Grrr!  I want a thermometer dropping humidity slaying storm I do!  I also discovered this morning that none of my darn clothes fit!  Well, there are two pairs of capris and one skirt and 4 tops that still cover the giganto-belly but that's it.  So I had to take the kiddos to the mama thrift store (the Salvo, which I've been checking weekly, doesn't have any summer preggo clothes at the moment).  I spent more than I would have liked, but I have two pairs of capris and a dress (the dress is a really basic, super comfy, black Liz Lange for Target dress that could totally work for the wedding in Oct if I wear a nice wrap with it... very breastfeeding friendly and obviously it'll fit over the pp belly).  Also a few dresses for the girls (they've been wearing and re-wearing the same sundresses for about a week now) and some "new to me" GroVia dipes.  GroVia worked great on ds till he started to crawl (when the double layer of the stuffing started redirecting his equipment out the leg holes lol) and I want to give them another try now that he is a bit bigger... and no matter what they'll work on the new babe.  The "set" I got today for 28 dollars DOUBLES my GroVia collection so w00tity w00t!

Aeress- I know!  It's one reason I was so nervous about finding the right curriculum for the amount of time I'll have this year... the more I can have "done for me" the less I have to worry about in terms of explaining things to the district.  And the funny thing is, this is a VERY pre-homeschool district.  Everyone from the check out people at the store to the librarians to the youth programing office to...well... I'd say just about everyone in this city is homeschooling themselves or knows someone personally who is homeschooling.  So it's really not seen as unusual.  Just really regulated.  LOL

Oooooohhhhh.... it's starting to rain!  Wish me luck!

mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#72 of 188 Old 07-11-2011, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by witchygrrl View PostI have never ever had a $400 bill in all of the winters I've paid bills on. I think the most MIGHT have been $200. On an upper floor, if your downstairs neighbors turn on the heat, you'll benefit. And if you have oil heat, just call Joe Kennedy for help--you'll see his Citgo ads in the winter:D I'm only sort of kidding there.

Fingers crossed for a buyer--you gotta get up here, woman! 

Oh, what a relief, then! M said that he'd had $400 bills before, but then his ex was in charge of the bills and she was notorious for not paying them, and they got in trouble plenty of times for such, including rent... so he said maybe those ones were for back-pay. I mean arrears. You know what I mean, several bills combined into one.

So a big WHEW, then! I don't get the Joe Kennedy reference redface.gif Must be a MA thing?

Thanks for the well-wishes...the showing canceled greensad.gif I'm trying to find out why, if it was a personal thing or something to do with my house.

#73 of 188 Old 07-11-2011, 05:52 PM

Hi all!

Sending cool nights vibes to you Clay!  And house selling vibes to Maia!

Thinking of Nicole...

We had heavy rain earlier and have water in the basement... not too bad but still annoying.

My only altar at this moment is "angelic": I have 3 of my angels (I have a small collection) gathered with 2 sheeps surrounding a picture of my mom's urne. It's in the Helpers/angels bagua of my house.

Valérie   
#74 of 188 Old 07-12-2011, 02:58 AM

Wishing for cooler weather for Clay as well as luck in HS endeavors....and personally I wouldn't mind some cool weather either.

And wishing Maia luck with the homeselling...I hope another prospect comes soon. Joe Kennedy is one of THE Kennedys, and he always has these ads every winter about cheaper oil from Citgo...the tagline is that it's from "the good people of Venezuela." I don't know if I can link the Youtube video here or not. so I'm PMing you. 

#75 of 188 Old 07-12-2011, 04:11 AM

Morning all:)

Stinks about the showing Maia, I hope it was because they couldn't make it and re-schedule:)

Hot here, but I am sure everyone is hot for the next few days.  I am hoping for some rain so it will knock a few degrees off the temp! 

earth.gif lovin, treehugger.gif  veggie

#76 of 188 Old 07-12-2011, 05:38 AM

Well, it rained for about 30 seconds, then stopped.  LOL  Maybe today!

Maia- it'll work out... I remember when we were buying our houses we had all sorts of showings that we went to, and we often rescheduled or decided not to go "just because".  It wasn't anything about the house (and to be honest, I don't think I ever really thought much about the seller at that point in the "that house looks neat" process), it was all just "our life" stuff.  I know it's super frustrating, but hang in there... I bet the people just decided they'd rather eat a late lunch, or had too many errands, or something like that.  We're gonna get that baby sold and you all into the happy lands of New England!

Promised the girls we'd go to the spinrklers in the city park tomorrow... better make sure their swim suits still fit, huh?  So many of my friends here take their kiddos swimming nearly every day all summer (there is only one city pool, most people swim in the state parks and gorges... so there is a life guard but the "pool" is a natural swimming hole with waterfalls and rocks and stuff and no fencing or depth markers).  But I just can't do it.  I enjoy being in the water, and the kids enjoy being in the water, but people drown every year here because the water is dark and the bottom is uneven and there are little ledges and there are currents.  I just can't bring myself to take THREE active kiddos to that sort of swimming environment... I'd spend the whole time chasing them and freaking out when I couldn't find one of them.  So we splash in our kiddie pool and play in the city sprinkler park and deal with everyone acting like I'm depriving the kiddos of some great right of passage.  But come on!  None of my friends have more than two kiddos, most only have one, and most have kiddos in the 7 and up range only... I'm betting that if they had a gung-ho danger monkey 2yo, a prone to sudden and extreme freak outs 4yo, and a fairly responsible but still dare devil of a 6yo they'd change their tune.  At least, I hope they would since then I'd feel less like a kill-joy.  LOL

Guess it's my arm chair paganism coming out again... I'd rather take them to the city pool where there are two life guards (one just for the kiddie pool section), a toddler pool attached to the kiddie pool and both seperate from the "big" pool, water where you can see the bottom, shade trees but no other distractions, and a place to sit!  Of course, MY going swimming at this point would require all sorts of cirque du soliel contortions to shave my upper legs... I've developed the late pregnancy "under belly"... a region of "me" that I haven't seen in weeks!  Ankles to knees, check!  Bellybutton on up, sure!  Belly button to knees?  Not so much.

#77 of 188 Old 07-12-2011, 07:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by redveg View PostStinks about the showing Maia, I hope it was because they couldn't make it and re-schedule:)

Hot here, but I am sure everyone is hot for the next few days.  I am hoping for some rain so it will knock a few degrees off the temp! 

I hope you're right, redveg.

And yeah, here it rained overnight, is looking to be sunny soon, and is supposed to be 92*. For the foreseeable future.

UGH. I hate heat. HATE it. One of the things I'm looking forward to in MA is that winter is so...well, wintery, that I might actually appreciate summer for a change. As it is now, I HATE it. It's my least favorite season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View PostMaia- it'll work out... I remember when we were buying our houses we had all sorts of showings that we went to, and we often rescheduled or decided not to go "just because".  It wasn't anything about the house (and to be honest, I don't think I ever really thought much about the seller at that point in the "that house looks neat" process), it was all just "our life" stuff.  I know it's super frustrating, but hang in there... I bet the people just decided they'd rather eat a late lunch, or had too many errands, or something like that.  We're gonna get that baby sold and you all into the happy lands of New England!

I hope you're right. You are right, it's probably nothing to do with my house. And when I bought this house, I didn't think of sellers either. I don't remember canceling any looking-ats, though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wombatclay View PostPromised the girls we'd go to the spinrklers in the city park tomorrow... better make sure their swim suits still fit, huh?  So many of my friends here take their kiddos swimming nearly every day all summer (there is only one city pool, most people swim in the state parks and gorges... so there is a life guard but the "pool" is a natural swimming hole with waterfalls and rocks and stuff and no fencing or depth markers).  But I just can't do it.  I enjoy being in the water, and the kids enjoy being in the water, but people drown every year here because the water is dark and the bottom is uneven and there are little ledges and there are currents.  I just can't bring myself to take THREE active kiddos to that sort of swimming environment... I'd spend the whole time chasing them and freaking out when I couldn't find one of them.  So we splash in our kiddie pool and play in the city sprinkler park and deal with everyone acting like I'm depriving the kiddos of some great right of passage.  But come on!  None of my friends have more than two kiddos, most only have one, and most have kiddos in the 7 and up range only... I'm betting that if they had a gung-ho danger monkey 2yo, a prone to sudden and extreme freak outs 4yo, and a fairly responsible but still dare devil of a 6yo they'd change their tune.  At least, I hope they would since then I'd feel less like a kill-joy.  LOL

Guess it's my arm chair paganism coming out again... I'd rather take them to the city pool where there are two life guards (one just for the kiddie pool section), a toddler pool attached to the kiddie pool and both seperate from the "big" pool, water where you can see the bottom, shade trees but no other distractions, and a place to sit!  Of course, MY going swimming at this point would require all sorts of cirque du soliel contortions to shave my upper legs... I've developed the late pregnancy "under belly"... a region of "me" that I haven't seen in weeks!  Ankles to knees, check!  Bellybutton on up, sure!  Belly button to knees?  Not so much.

Stand your ground, mama. I am the same way. I only have the one, but I will NOT let him in any running water (like rivers), ever. We went in a river once with a friend when ds was like...oh...5? and I could barely stay in one spot. It was a big river. There's lots of big rivers here. I don't blame you at all. I grew up at a lake, and I'm used to natural but standing water, and I'm used to pools and sprinklers, but rivers? No freaking way, and I don't bloody care what other people think of me as a mama if I don't go to them or let my son go to them. They're way too unpredictable. Everybody has their limits.

Your post reminds me of when ds was little and people thought I was "depriving" him of some All-American experience because I wouldn't let him have sugar or McDonald's. Um, you can't be deprived if you don't know what you're missing. Especially if it's unhealthy eyesroll.gif Or scares the mama, or if the mama can't relax, too. Grrrr, on your behalf lol.gif

As for your legs...why bother shaving them? Do the crunchy mamas up there shave? People here in Asheville are so hairy. LOL. The women sometimes are hairier than the guys! I don't grow much body hair, but I stopped shaving probably 15 years ago. And then I re-met M...who asked me to shave. I didn't want to at first, but then I decided it wasn't a hill I was willing to die on, and I really don't care. Now I don't "fit in" with the people in my town or social circles, but whatever wink1.gif

When's DD3 due again?

#78 of 188 Old 07-12-2011, 08:28 AM

Clay - We just finished Charlotte's Web. Perfect summer book. Of course, I didn't have it in me to lead a four year old in crafts around it... Right now we are reading James and the Giant Peach. This weekend we went on a day trip to pick blueberries; I'm thinking about peach picking. Anyone do this? I'm worried about how high the fruit would be. We go apple picking, though...

I wish we went swimming every day! I have only two. My 1 1/2 year old has decided he's afraid of the pool, so we've done a LOT less swimming this summer than I hoped. A lot of spray park and him playing in the sand while my 4 1/2 year old plays in the water. I let her go out to her hips alone. Still, she'll never learn to swim like that...

Partner to Rbikenew.gif ('03); Parent to T read.gif('07), Aviolin.gif ('10), and E ecbaby2.gif ('13)

femalesling.GIFhomeschool.gifchicken3.gifhomebirth.jpgnak.gif 

#79 of 188 Old 07-12-2011, 09:26 AM

It rained last night...

Still hot and humid today... I can deal with hot but the humid part makes it hard to breathe when outside.  DD2 played at the park (under supervision) and they played with a sprinkler... She was wearing jeans short with her t-shirt... I was glad for the piknik blanket in the car when I picked her up soaking wet! lol

Our little town is expecting many visitors next week-end for the second edition of the BeerFest. Weather is suppose to be good. It should be a success!

Valérie   
#80 of 188 Old 07-12-2011, 10:55 AM

It's been so hot and humid.  Nasty.  I went out to check the mailbox but that's all for today.  No way am I going out again.  

My one little a/c isn't strong enough to cool the bedrooms down (even though my apt is only about 700 sq ft.)  I wish I could get at least one more a/c.  My electric company is offering some kind of rebate if you buy an Energy Star a/c... but I don't have a spare $180!

Can't even sleep in the living room where the a/c is because I had to get rid of my sofa (it was beyond repair.)  Can't put the a/c in one of the bedrooms because ds would go stir crazy having to stay in one of the bedrooms for the entire day.  Argh!

Ok, that's my rant.

Time to drink some cold water and chill out.  orngbiggrin.gif

#81 of 188 Old 07-12-2011, 12:49 PM

Maia- nope... it's about 50/50 here as to shaving legs/armpits.  I however, HATE the sensation of unshaved legs.  I can deal with it from the knees up since that's usually covered with fabric, but on skin that gets sun if I don't shave I get really nasty rashes that ITCH like the bejeebus.  It's funny because DH doesn't care either way, but when I start getting really whiney and cranky one of the things he'll ask is "when did you last shave your legs?" and he's often right... I go shave and feel soooooo much better.  LOL  In college I used to perform in the Rocky Horror Picture Show floor show (as Columbia) and I think that probably reinforced the shaving habit... though it was MUCH more extensive given the costumes that particular character wore!  Actually, Dh played Dr Frank'n'Furter for two seasons so he was all smooth legged as well!

Charlotte's Web- I'm not counting my chicks till we've made it past Charlotte's death, but I think it's going to stay a winner.  And I am not nearly crazy enough to try and tie in craft projects.  THEY dragged ME to the craft store, pushed the cart, and informed me as to what they needed in order to, quote, "achieve their artistic vision".  I did help with the cutting and stitching, but it was mostly them... and then the floor show and puppet show were all them.  The book has totally struck a chord... every night dd2 piles up a heap of blankets on her bed and rolls in them, pretending that she is a pig sleeping in a pile of manure.  And she has started wrapping her beloved "piggie" (a stuffed animal that once upon a time actually looked like a pig and her most beloved buddy) in a piece of brown felt since she didn't want piggie to miss out on the manure experience.  They're cracking me up.  I just hope they don't get too upset with the ending... I don't /think/ they will, but I was a camp counselor at a camp that showed ET (on video) to some of the campers one year (7 year olds) and the tears, bawling, and general sadness were off the charts.  And this was from kiddos who had SEEN the movie before, and who's parents had signed off on the film.  So I think I'll be a bit on edge during these last few chapters... Charlotte just wrote "humble" and tomorrow we read the chapter where she lays her eggs. 

After Charlotte's Web the next book is Homer Price.  It's a decent book as I recall, but it may not hold two little girls as much as Charlotte's Web.  We're nearly done with The Borrowers (bedtime book) though and maybe I'll ask if they'd rather hear Trumpet of the Swan instead of Wind in the Willows as their next bedtime book?

Still so freakin' hot.  Ugh!  Did your agent give you any insight into what happened with the showing Maia?  (and thanks for the reinforcement... it drives me batty that people think I'll "enjoy" an outing where I know I'll spend every minute running after the kids and /not/ relaxing till we're back in the car).

Oh, right, I'm 32 weeks with a midwife visit on Friday.  I'll be tipping from 36 to 37 weeks at Pennsic.  And although I've never had a babe arrive before 40 weeks, I would LOVE for this munchkin to arrive around, say, 38 weeks.  Really really REALLY it would be the sweetest thing this babe could give me as a mama present.  A nice, happy, non-frantic, vbac at 38 weeks.  MMmmmm.... almost as yummy as posh coffee!  :)

#82 of 188 Old 07-12-2011, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View Post

I would LOVE for this munchkin to arrive around, say, 38 weeks.  Really really REALLY it would be the sweetest thing this babe could give me as a mama present.  A nice, happy, non-frantic, vbac at 38 weeks.  MMmmmm.... almost as yummy as posh coffee!  

I hope munchkin listens!

#83 of 188 Old 07-12-2011, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaughterOfKali View PostIt's been so hot and humid.  Nasty.  I went out to check the mailbox but that's all for today.  No way am I going out again.  

My one little a/c isn't strong enough to cool the bedrooms down (even though my apt is only about 700 sq ft.)  I wish I could get at least one more a/c.  My electric company is offering some kind of rebate if you buy an Energy Star a/c... but I don't have a spare $180!

Can't even sleep in the living room where the a/c is because I had to get rid of my sofa (it was beyond repair.)  Can't put the a/c in one of the bedrooms because ds would go stir crazy having to stay in one of the bedrooms for the entire day.  Argh!

Ok, that's my rant.

Time to drink some cold water and chill out.  orngbiggrin.gif

Do you mind terribly if I ask about your heating bills? I'm trying to get as much insight as possible from people who live up there. Do you have gas/oil/electric? Is it included? If not, what's an average monthly bill look like? Because we'll probably end up in about 700sf, too.

A/C...I'll probably have to set aside money for a couple of units from the sale of the house, when we get up there, unless I'm lucky enough to find it already in the place where we move!

M told me how hot it was up there...then he proceeded to tell me just what the heat index is where I live (106, yow!). Like I needed to know that!

I hope you're able to cool off, soon. Maybe make one of the bedrooms into the main room for the summer, somehow? It can be an adventure for Roo to change the room around? Just brainstorming, here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wombatclay View PostMaia- nope... it's about 50/50 here as to shaving legs/armpits.  I however, HATE the sensation of unshaved legs.  I can deal with it from the knees up since that's usually covered with fabric, but on skin that gets sun if I don't shave I get really nasty rashes that ITCH like the bejeebus.

Charlotte's Web- I'm not counting my chicks till we've made it past Charlotte's death, but I think it's going to stay a winner. 

We're nearly done with The Borrowers (bedtime book) though

Still so freakin' hot.  Ugh!  Did your agent give you any insight into what happened with the showing Maia?  (and thanks for the reinforcement... it drives me batty that people think I'll "enjoy" an outing where I know I'll spend every minute running after the kids and /not/ relaxing till we're back in the car).

Oh, well, then, shave away lol.gif I thought it was just a cosmetic issue.

Good luck with Web. I was just reading something about death being part of the cycle of life...it was a "why I'm not vegan" blog, but it applies, I think. IMO Pagans have a much more...hmm, accepting? realistic? worldview of death as a part of life. It's more comforting and sensical than "they go to Heaven", I think.

No, I haven't heard from her greensad.gif But I appreciate your insight. I always think it's about me redface.gif

And the reinforcement...well yeah, duh! People always said things to me like "Why don't you just put him in the car and go for a drive" when he wouldn't sleep as a baby...OMG, that was the WORST thing you could say to me. DS hated  the car. It made him scream faster than anything.

Or they'd think I was just being a wuss when I wouldn't take him to parks that weren't fenced. That I was just being HoverMom following him around. Well, no, it was more stressful for me having to shadow him because at 18 months he'd just...walk off the fireman's pole hole, not even attempt to slide down the pole. He'd just walk off the area where you were supposed to jump onto the pole.

Yeah-- I totally reinforce ya, mama! thumb.gif If the mama can't relax, it's NOT a relaxing time!

Oh, I miss M.... Thank the gods for phone and web cam, but there's nothing can replace a hug, or the particular smell of someone, y'know? luxlove.gif

#84 of 188 Old 07-13-2011, 06:45 PM

Clay - I remember reading or hearing something along the lines of "only you know your limits as a parent" - you know your kids, you know you - you do the right things for your family and to hell with everyone else!  wahoo! 

Maia - ohhh, the hugs and the smells... *sigh* sooo true...the thought is making me all mushy-romantic!! when DH and I first started dating he left for a semester of college to study in Rome -- we were able to talk but I remember holding his dang shirt to my nose with deep inhales just wishing he was right there... not that I am comparing the two situations as the same but when you wrote that it really hit home how hard this must be for you!! :P  C'mon house! SELLLL!!!!! ;)

Wherever singin' is I hope she is doing well!!  A shout out to the goddesses for her, her family and her new wee one!!! love.gif

peace.gif Mama and tiphat.gif Daddy (6/04) and energy.gifZ (5/10) make 3!  heartbeat.gif

#85 of 188 Old 07-14-2011, 09:16 AM

Pagan friends- Please see my blog for something important.  shy.gif  (not work related.)  

Maia- I have to run out but I'll pm you later (about your heating quesiton.)

#86 of 188 Old 07-14-2011, 05:22 PM

Just a very quick post to say that on Monday July 11th, we welcomed baby Cayden Alexander into our arms. It was a beautiful homebirth with two midwives and a midwifery student. I will come back and post a picture later.

Nicole: mama to DD and DS, childbirth educator and doula. Dancing the spiral dance of life bellycast.gif

#87 of 188 Old 07-14-2011, 05:51 PM

Huzzah Hurrah and a happy dance too!

Congratulations, and welcome to the party little one.  Enjoy your baby moon (and I can't wait to hear the story!)  :)

#88 of 188 Old 07-14-2011, 09:04 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Hey all!

Congrats, singin!

I need some confidence vibes, as I will be working on a deal to publish a series of pagan baby books, starting with "The Children's ABC Book of Goddesses". It sounds promising, but it is with a very small (non-vanity) publisher, so I'm nervous about looking into the contract and everything. I just don't want to lose my optimism about this along the way.

Check out my business, Pangaia Metaphysical Store, and radio blog, Pagan Musings.
I'm a witchy mama to DS ('06) and DD ('10) with DH, Stormie, a heathen homemaker daddy.

#89 of 188 Old 07-15-2011, 06:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vydalea View PostMaia - ohhh, the hugs and the smells... *sigh* sooo true...the thought is making me all mushy-romantic!! when DH and I first started dating he left for a semester of college to study in Rome -- we were able to talk but I remember holding his dang shirt to my nose with deep inhales just wishing he was right there... not that I am comparing the two situations as the same but when you wrote that it really hit home how hard this must be for you!! :P  C'mon house! SELLLL!!!!! ;)

It is hard mecry.gif What's worse is, M smokes, so when I bring things home, they end up smelling like ashtray greensad.gif  I have to wash everything , even things I didn't wear, because it all smells so bad. I don't notice it while I'm there, but soon as I leave? BLECH lol.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaughterOfKali View PostMaia- I have to run out but I'll pm you later (about your heating quesiton.)

Thanks! Anything from anybody in MA would be enlightening smile.gif Including what kind of heat, where in MA, how big of an apt (square footage), if the windows are tight/new, or old, and what floor you're on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by singin_angel View PostJust a very quick post to say that on Monday July 11th, we welcomed baby Cayden Alexander into our arms. It was a beautiful homebirth with two midwives and a midwifery student. I will come back and post a picture later.

YAY!!!! Congrats, mama! And welcome, Cayden love.gif I bet he's so cute!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfcat View PostI need some confidence vibes, as I will be working on a deal to publish a series of pagan baby books, starting with "The Children's ABC Book of Goddesses". It sounds promising, but it is with a very small (non-vanity) publisher, so I'm nervous about looking into the contract and everything. I just don't want to lose my optimism about this along the way.

dust.gif There you go! what is a non-vanity publisher? I always wanted to publish children's Pagan books...I'm lazy, though!

#90 of 188 Old 07-15-2011, 06:18 AM - Thread Starter

Off to see the last Harry Potter in a few! We're going to the morning show, in hopes that it won't be as crowded.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page